30 Day-November 2016-Challenge!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
30 Day-November 2016-Challenge!

This topic contains 3,401 replies, has 151 voices, and was last updated by  LindaSue 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 3,410 total)

• Thanks, I’m going to try a diffrent approach tomorrow will let you know how I do, I’m starting a new job tomorrow so I’m hoping new job new me 👍🏻

Day 3 – New Zealand – NFD
    Had a good fast yesterday, I usually manage water/tea till the evening and then make a vegetable soup for my dinner. Did 11,000 steps (lucky Dog got 4 walks!). Hope to be able to do at least 10,000 steps today. I usually weigh on a Friday (generally after a FD on Thursday), but think I will leave it till Saturday this week as I am trying three FD this week. Sun is shining, so will hopefully be able to go for walk in my lunch break. Happy Thursday everyone 🙂

day 3 another fast day. I was going to do a free day, but it seems like once I start eating that’s all I want to do. therefore I just stuck with just eating supper. it’s been hard to resist all that Halloween candy at the office. trying to resist the temptation. I do love some chocolate. good luck and I’m so glad I found this site.

Day 2 second post.

Pinkpeony – Don’t worry about 24h water fasts just yet. It took me more than 3 months of 5:2 experimenting to get to that stage. Once your body gets used to fasting you’ll find that it can still operate normally on a fast day.
    I still have the bad days with fasting – days I give in to temptation – days I can’t seem to ignore hunger pangs – and days when I walk out of the gym/yoga room with a headache because I couldn’t take the heat… All those days, I try and accept for what they are. I try to listen to my body, give it rest when it needs rest, and give it food when it needs food. All the while knowing I’m able to fast as soon as I feel better.
    I have fallen off the wagon a few times (stress, holidays, cake!), but these forums have helped me get right back on. I learn a lot from everyone’s 5:2/fasting journey.
    Read Jason Fung’s work (his book: The Obesity Code, and his Intensive Dietary Managaement blog: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/) if you can – very insightful. It’ll encourage you to explore fasting even further.

As for TDEE, I used 2 calculators:
    One from this site: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/
    The other, from an external site: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    They both gave similar values (around 1736-1795) – I use these as a guide and try and stay within ~1700-1750 on an NFD. The key is to underestimate your activity level (I used ‘lightly active’/sedentary despite doing 3-4 days of 45-60min intense exercise/week) on the calculator. Someone on a previous post said to use your goal weight to calculate the TDEE – this will also work.

Hope this is useful – all the best!

Day 3, Aust, FD

THANKS Pissupossa, good information and ideas. I don’t expect to be perfect. I really like this bc you can pick your days. I am going to put in my goal weight and see what I get.
    I did underestimate my activity level, I heard to do that on DR. RADIO.

2nd post by night owl

@pinkpeony day of month = day of challenge no matter when you started ie 4th November will be day 4, 10th November will be day 10.
    TDEE is total calories for day eat up to that on nfd and quarter of that on fd.
    @diggly day ? location ?
    @dds – location?
    @helsbelsjoe location ?
    Remember start your post with day and location and fd or nfd. Thanks
    @tbezeck I know it’s late but what does NIN mean lol am I being daft?
    Going to do some visualisation while I drift off to sleep dreaming of reducing my excess lbs I no longer need. Nite x

Day 3 Australia NFD, West Oz
    It’s official – my husband is losing his wife !! No I’m not leaving but in very small amounts I am disappearing. After FD yesterday, only 22hours as we went to dinner last night and I had a big salad than I would normally and a small piece of chicken and a bite of pizza. However when I got on the scales this morning they were 0.1 kg lighter than Day 2. Again, I am aware this could just be fluid but downward and onward I say.
    A big thanks to all you online supporters – you are all keeping me on track . I had black coffee yesterday because of you ( I don’t like black coffee, I love my ‘ flat white’ but realised I was probably having a glass of milk in each of these and sometimes having a couple of large ones a day)).
    Knowing that for the next 30 days I will be daily accountable to you all motivates me . Isn’t it amazing to know that all around the world there is a community who is going on this journey together.

Day 2 E. Canada NFD

Forgot to post on Day 1.
    Today, Day 2, weight all over the place over the course of a day. Just now, 129.5; first thing this morning, 126.

Day 1- a NFD. Bran flakes 300 (at least 1.5 portions), banana 80, bagel 300 st 680, (ate the whole thing, stressed), cafe latte 150, st 830, 1/2 pork chop, 150, st 980, handful of rice, 50, salad 50, berries with light wh crm 50, st 1130, peanut butter 80, 1210, forgotten something, guess 100, total 1310, heading toward tdee. Exercise: cycled to pool for a swim.

Day 2 – NFD. Exercise: biked 20 km. Bran flakes 200, cafe latte 150, rest of pork chop 150, st 500, peanut butter 80, st 580, [shopped for fridge] cafe latte 150, turkey breast 300 st 1030, 1/2 spud with 1/2 tsp butter 90, salad 50, st 1170 other 100, total 1270, heading toward tdee.

Not happy, as day 1 I could have made a FD, but very hungry, so didn’t.

Day 3 FD Australia country nsw
    It’s 12pm and I am starving , thank goodness been busy at work but that meant I haven’t been able to have my green or even water till now .. bring in 1.30pm lunch time. Didn’t get to exercise this morning sonwill dona workout after work which I find hard on FDs no energy to work hard as normal
    Happy Thursday 😊

Hi back2thefuture,

I am a newbie. I would like to participate in nov challenge. Can I join now? Also, can you please give me details of how to go about it.

Thank you,
    Asha

Day 2 – NFD – North Carolina, US

My NFD could’ve almost been a FD. I had a croissant for breakfast (not a usual for me, but we are on a trip for work and had breakfast at a cafe!), then a granola bar all day until dinner, which I had a taco salad 🙂

It’s funny, I actually am looking forward to another fast day. There’s a nicer feeling to having an almost empty stomach rather than how I feel after a meal! I absolutely loved that taco salad, but I feel like my body is in overdrive! I haven’t exercised because we walk around a lot for my job.

Day 2 down:)

I’m a nervous wreck over my Cubs World Series game! 6-3 – 2 more innings left. Eating big bowl of cheese popcorn and glass of nice blended red from Napa Valley, California. Edzeko, want some popcorn?

Hi Song:

GO CUBS!!!!

Day 3 Yesterday was to be a fast day but wasn’t, I just made it in my limit in fact. Today is fast day and I have just been for a 40 minute cycle. I found a local park which has some exercise machines too so did a bit of upper body work.

Someone has asked me if I feel like doing three hours of leaflet delivery walking tomorrow, sounds good to me, better pay than on-line English teaching too.

I will sleep like a log tonight.

Need to get more salads in. I always feel better when I eat a lot of salad.

Day 3, NZ, FD
    Enjoying reading everyone’s posts.
    Take care xxx

Go Indians?

Day 3, Australia NFD

Had a great 36 hour water fast yesterday and somehow up 500 gms! Hopefully it will all even out soon. Made sure I drank over 3 litres of water. Will just keep going.

Day 2 – Melbourne Australia

went really well yesterday, i think having an 8 month old baby who requires all your attention when you get home helps! Although i was so hungry (it was a fast day) i had to wait until dinner time to eat as i was looking after bub!!

Today is a non fast day and i am on track.

Good luck everyone who is doing a fast day today!

Are you kidding?

Go CUBS!!!

Cubs Win

After 108 years!

CUBS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 3, Australia, NFD.
    So I was planning to fast Mondays and Thursdays but decided to make Friday my second fast day as I’ll be at work and that just seems to make it so much easier. Having said that, after two terrible NFD where I ate way too much, I decided to try a new strategie where I ate within an 8 hour window (11-7). I’m happy to report that this has worked well so far for me today. It’s 4pm here now and I’ve only just had my first meal, which just happened to be my daughter’s left over vegemite and cheese sandwich. Not very hungry weirdly enough, must be all the crap I ate yesterday! Tomorrow will be my second fasting day, I’m planning on making it as successful as Monday’s one. I went for my usual run this morning but it was hard and I could only run half of it, which was ok, I just walked the rest. I’m putting it down to two things: I performed bad because I didn’t fuel my body well yesterday and 2. It was bloody hot, even at 9:15 in the morning. Better luck tmrw. Hope everyone is going well.

Day 3 NFD England
    Good morning!
    Thank you to everyone who has reminded me of the FODMAP data for IBS. Although I’ve tried to eliminate many things from my diet by using FODMAP I’ve so far been unable to isolate the problem foods.
    I think I was discouraged by the hospital consultant who first introduced me to it. He doesn’t have IBS but said if he had a choice between IBS and sticking to FODMAP items he’d choose IBS!
    On the upside I haven’t had a episode since Sunday afternoon (today is Thursday) which is the longest I’ve gone all year so hopefully my theory of giving my digestive system a break has some value.

A tip of the hat to the Indians.

Great season and well played!!

Sorry to all of you non U.S. people, but we’ve listened to cricket, rugby and horse racing results for a long time on this site.

In the U.S., it is baseball!!

108 years is a long time.

Way to go CUBS!

Hi, I am a bit late but would like to join the November challenge. My name is grace from Nottingham UK.

So excited about the Cubs win, what a game!!!

My best to the Indians fans, they played a great game:)

I was so nervous that I wanted to reach out and eat, but I am so proud of myself I didn’t do it. I just grabbed a big glass of water and sipped it.

It was a NFD,but I had already eaten all my allotted calories.

Hi Miesque:

I assume that as a government employee the hospital consultant cannot be fired for incompetence.

‘Normal’ people just cannot seem to understand that a diet can actually cause physical problems.

Experiment and see what ‘works for you’. Food clearly is one contributor to IBS and you are totally free to try some foods and not others to see if you feel better.

Good Luck!

Day 3 | Derbyshire UK | NFD

Ocarol Day 3 fasting
    Surprisingly feeling ok had more energy looking forward to getting this second fasting day over. I am looking at meal planners for ideas. Does everyone count calories each day?

Correction day 3 | uk | FD sorry!

Day3 – Staffordshire,UK – NFD

Today was going to be a Fast Day but going to an event with fizz and a buffet later so decided to make tomorrow my next Fast Day instead!

Day 3 – Switzerland – NFD
    Have to go to a party with finger food tonight, so think I will eat something healthy and filling beforehand so I can resist nibbling on sausage rolls…
    Yesterday’s FD went well, fitted in a swim. Had a bad attack of hunger pangs, which don’t usually trouble me, as I took some hot pasta with pesto for my son to eat before his sports club, then found myself sitting next to him as he ate, with the smell of hot cheesy pasta filling the car. Drank my thermos of hot black tea and felt very resolute!
    @ocarol – Some people do very well here without calorie counting, but I suspect they have more self-restraint than me and/or a more accurate idea of the energy content of what they’re eating. In the last 18mths of getting 5:2 to work for me, I’ve found I only reduce my weight if I log all food eaten (I use MFP) because I personally find it difficult to be accountable to myself about food. My big ‘trick’ is to make things ‘disappear’ (bags of sweets, packets of biscuits) because then I can pretend to myself they were never there in the first place. Not very healthy, mentally or physically! I don’t plan to count calories for the rest of my life, but train myself to a more healthy intake. However, so far, whenever I’ve thought ‘I’ve got the hang of this, no need to keep a food record’, I’ve ended up eating more than my TDEE and have regained weight. I’ve also seen lots of people on the forum fall into the ‘fast/feast’ trap, where you think ‘yesterday was a FD, so I can eat whatever I want today’. This only works if the ‘whatever I want to eat’ falls within your TDEE, which is rare, so usually leads to stasis or weight gain. The joy of 5:2 is that you get to find out what works best for you. Good luck!

Day 3 – Hertfordshire UK – NFD
    Can’t wait for breakfast this morning after a tough FD yesterday!

day 2/3 Cornwall UK FD
    back2thefuture my apologies for not posting yesterday, got homr late and my tablet had no battery, drrr!!

Too many posts to catch up with but the enthusiasm is great! I have visitors tomorrow for a few days so will catch up with all the posts when I can!! Hopefully.

Yesterday I remained under tdee with 3 good walks with the dog. Then school pick up and the evening with grandchildren. What a joy they are!!
    Got my head into a much better place and slept really well last night, such a relif!!

I wonder does anyone, who takes coconut oil each day, have had their cholestrol/ triglycerides levels tested?? Have they gone up? I naturally have high cholestrol 8.5 but with 2.2 ratio. I no longer take statins because of debilitating side effects. Would really value others experiences.

A busy day ahead, decided to fast as having guests for the next few days I need to be be mindful. I don’t want to see a rise on the scales after the weekend!!

Good luck everyone especially those starting out on this WOL, it really does work work – stick with it!!

Day 3 Sunshine Coast Australia NFD. Went out for lunch and had crispy skin pork belly with Cauliflower mash and red cabbage. I didn’t have the relish. Drank sparkling mineral water. Have just had 2 handful of nuts. and small glass white wine. That’s it till tomorrow lunchtime unless I go for an FD which is due. 106.4 kgs this morning. 111 cm waist, 114 from memory for bust. Will have to check that one. It was lovely to catch up with friends. Then I had to pick MIL up and tear down to my son’t daughter’s school and get her then onto the kindergarten to get the second granddaughter and down to his place at Glasshouse Mountains. So over 80 kms to help out. The other grandfather who normally picks them up and keeps them till their mum can pick them up is very sick and can’t walk. So they are in a childminding pickle at present.

I don’t count calories each day, ocarol. But I think I was under eating when I shed 20 kgs in 4 months. That’s why I am struggling now, I think. But I hope I have turned the corner.

Just in case you missed it, ex 31 day October challengers, we shed 49.3 kgs (108.6 lbs or 7.7 stone) overall ( I’m not using the lost word, don’t want to find them again) and there was a gain of 3.5 kgs from about 5 of us. So that was a significant result. Well done.

How many people are you tallying, B2tf? It’s got to be over 105 or more going by the new requests to join. Unbelievable. It’s because the posts have been so supportive from such a warm caring group.

Day 3: uk FD.

Well yesterday was a NFD. Due to my job being non stop and always working 12 hours without a break I have to eat on the way to jobs which isn’t easy when you can’t sit and actually enjoy your food. Only managed to eat 900 calories as I couldn’t find time to get anything else in. I think I may regret that today as I’m back to work for 12 hours again. Good luck to my patients 🙂

UK day 3 NFD very happy to have 2 successful FDs under my belt this week, challenge is to keep on an even keel for the rest of the week, I find it all too easy to fall into bad habits ,so no Danish pastries at the weekend , and whilst going completely alcohol free is a step too far for me will swap my Friday beers for a gin & slimline tonic – every little helps

B2TF- can’t believe how popular this months challenge is , maybe Christmas looming is a motivator x

Day 3, FD, New Zealand. Really pleased to have done my two FDs with no problems. After getting very chilled on my first FD, I dressed more warmly today, and didn’t shiver at all. Also treated myself to some expensive jasmine tea to see me through this month when I have a moment of weakness and think a chocolate biscuit is what my body must absolutely have. A refreshing cup of fragrant tea does the job for me. Walked 14,000 steps as I take the very long way home when the weather is good.

Day 3: Dublin. FD
    Really feeling great on this alternate fasting approach – more energy and sleeping better. I agree with Mflood023 – feels better to be not weighed down with too much food and a lighter stomach. My hunch is that the fasting will also retrain the mind not to crave sugary things which I’ve never really enjoyed but just eat if they’re there! Work colleague brought in a huge tray of Ferrero Roche chocolates – tempted but resisted!! Enjoy the day/night everyone!

Ps. Congrats on the Cubs win!!!

Day 3 – NSW Australia – NFD

Tried really hard to stay within TDEE, hopefully I made it. I did have a snack at 3pm- seems to be my witching hour, so failed on the ‘three squares’ front today.
    Did a little bit of weights at lunchtime and I hope I’ll feel it tomorrow… Not sure if tomorrow will be a fast day, guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Day 3 – London, UK – NFD
    Quite a tough FD yesterday for some reason. Maybe running first thing makes it harder, but I’m determined to try to keep attacking my weight from both ends, as it were. As someone trying to eat less for the first time ever, I’m food obsessed right now, but hopefully I’ll relax about it after a few weeks. I guess it’s just a matter of getting through it at this stage.

Fasting does make me feel a bit crampy the next day – I had a small breakfast this morning which helps.

Day 3, UK.

FD, hopefully. Plan to have miso for lunch and some soup for dinner. (But am going to some cheese-and-wine event tonight, boohoo.) No planned exercise, to stop me from getting ravenous. Generally trying not to obsess about food, but just to get on with the day/work, etc.

Oh, stayed within current TDEE yesterday (with some approximation though, as went out for lunch dinner and guessed the calories of, respectively, soup and fish and some veg).

Day 3……. Florida……….NFD

Need a change….. I fast everyday from 7pm until 12:30the next day. I did mainly because of the health benefits and to make sure I can get my required intake of water in. To be honest…. first couple days were not that spectacular but in time, it has become something I do without thinking, and normally, I have to say to myself…. Sweetheart, it’s time to eat. Push through the hard parts and you’ll reap the benefits. P.S…. sugar free gum got me through the first couple days!

Congrats Cubs on your win…..

So, I went over by 62 calories on my FD yesterday, I just could pass up on the freshest rye bread, I’ve ever had. So, today is a NFD for me, I’m looking forward to this piece of Halloween candy that I set a side for today. I could have had on Tues. my first NFD but I wanted to wait until I was looking forward to eat rather than mindlessly eating it.
    No cardio yesterday….. Watch the game instead, plus with me being by myself in the showroom now, I never sat down, I moved all day. Plus, I read somewhere exercise doesn’t necessarily help with weight loss….. Odd don’t you think? Anyone else hear about this?
    I do have some relatively good news, by the end of yesterday’s workday, I couldn’t keep my pants up. Now, I know some of it was because stretch out but I have to believe the other part was the reduction of inches as well…. temped to try on smaller size but I’ll wait….
    Well my friends, I hope you all have a great day and your rewards are plentiful!
    Cheers
    Michelle

Day 3, London UK, NFD

Hi there Richard – I know the feeling! I think the beauty of this intermittent fasting is that it frees us from the obsession about food. Food is everywhere all the time in our culture and it has a significant unconscious impact on our day to day life – I think what you are experiencing is the natural response to this unconscious daily obsession now becoming so conscious in your mind. For me I see it as a very positive thing – soon we will be free of the obsession about food driving so much of our daily lives!!! You’re supporting your mind and body to be free!

Hiya Michelle! Yes indeed, I’ve heard this thing about exercise not helping too – think it’s a rather dangerous conclusion taken from the fact that exercise alone without looking at diet won’t help us – the adage being you can’t exercise your way out of a bad diet- have a lot of personal experience of this. Failed weight loss attempts at gymming it like mad but thinking that I could compensate with eating the same way or rewarding my exercise with food! Then I finally got it – reduced portions, increased quality of food, ate dinner earlier and did cardio every second day – additional exercise if I over-ate – and lost 2 stone in 3 months. This intermittent fasting helps us to free ourselves of the food obsession and cravings – that with regular exercise is a winner and you will lose weight at a quicker with the exercise thrown in!

D3, Australia, FD.
    Good FD though I did go a bit over and had about 600 cals at dinner. Feeling ok though because I did get in about 23 hr fasting and felt (and resisted) hunger pangs. Funny that I now view hunger as a good sign that the hormones are doing their thing (and insulin is low). Also doing ADF so I don’t mind a few extra cals on FD.

Clairbear – as the others have said don’t be so hard on yourself. There will always be days like that but just compensate the next day and try again your next FD. It takes the body a little getting used to and most here have gradually become better and better at fasting with hiccups along the way. I’m not sure brown rice is too good for weight loss – a small amount has a lot of carbs and carbs increase insulin – something we are trying to avoid. Maybe chicken and steamed veggies??
    The other thing is that although exercise is good , it can cause increased hunger and hence increased temptation to eat too much or make wrong food choices. I personally don’t exercise but try to focus on the food side of things.
    Good luck all.

DAY 3 – CANADA – NFD

Good FD yesterday. Managed a lovely long walk in the morning.

I am enjoying all the comments and find them inspiring. We all have our ups and downs with weight but we’re not alone and share our journey with like minded companions around the world.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has any information about the connection between cholesterol and coconut oil.

Day 3 – Killarney, Ireland
    NFD.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 3,410 total)

You must be logged in to reply.