3 weeks in and thinking its amazing!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
3 weeks in and thinking its amazing!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mlc100 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Hi All,

I have been browsing the forums for approximately 3 weeks now, reading through success stories, the ups and downs of the 5:2 plan and finally decided that I would start a post in order to monitor my weight loss and share with anyone who wants to read.

To start, I have basically struggled with weight since early teens – I have noticed my weight since about 13 years old, obviously high school has that effect on you πŸ™‚

In high school, I never really did much when it came to changing my weight – I always had very slim friends and just thought I would always be slightly bigger.

During my teen years, there was always an abundance of food in the house, mainly due to my dad who thought that buying the entirity of unhealthy food from the supermarket was a brilliant idea. So with food being so available, I put on weight – on some Saturday’s filling my face every hour with chocolate, crisps, pork pies etc etc as well as still eating very large portions of dinner and tea! (and I wondered why I was putting on weight)!

At 18/19 both my mum and myself left my dad for a new life (lots of personal implications that I dont really want to go into). Anyway, as soon as we left, our eating habits changed and we became more active, going out all day on Saturday’s instead of staying in watching tv. Consequently and unsurprisingly, we both lost weight – I wouldnt be able to tell you how much I lost because I never weighed myself, but I dropped from a size 16 to size 12/14, which was great! Also, my mum lost near on a stone – as well as 18 stone worth of ugly fat (my dad), as she says πŸ™‚

I maintained my slimmer size for a number of years, but at the around of 23/24 I started to put weight on again. I’m not entirely sure why, but it happened.

So in 2011 I tried Slim Fast to try and give me a quick fix. My mum had tried it in the past and I thought I’ll give it a go. I stuck to it for approx 3-4 weeks and in part enjoyed not having to think of what to have for breakfast or dinner and the time I gained back by not having to think and eat food, but in the end, it became terribly boring for me and I wasnt seeing noticeable results, so stopped and piled on even more weight. I was not a happy bunny!

In 2012, after doing a bit of research, both my mum and myself joined Slimming World – I have read multiple stories of people losing fantastic amounts of weight and of it being a sustainable way of life. In fact, I have a friend who has lost over 5 stone in a year doing Slimming World – absolutely amazing!

Both my mum and myself did Slimming World for approx 2-4 months and in this time I lost 1/2 a stone and my mum lost over a stone. A very respectably amount, but both my mum and myself hated going to the group sessions, it would be a dread every week. Now I dont doubt that some people like their group sessions, but we just found it inane, boring and a complete waste of time – I felt like I was being talked to like a 5 year old. So we both decided to stop going to the classes and try to go it alone.

This was possible for a couple of weeks, but we found that we would cheat on certain occasions and then the certain occasions turned into every day and before you know the weight was back on.

I fully believe that the principals of Slimming World is very good – they point you in the right direction for healthy food, they give you support if you need it, they make you more aware of the unhealthy food etc; however, for me, trying to sustain this for life was a horrendous thought – constantly saying “well that’s so many syns”, “is this a healthy extra or do I need to add this as a syn”, “have I had enough super foods today” – mind boggling. Add this to the fact of having to attend those god awful sessions, not sustainable at all! I also found that Slimming World didnt give you any idea of portion control, so I would continue to eat copious amounts of food, probably with no sense of whether I was hungry or not!

After Slimming World, both my mum and myself headed back to the gym, but this didnt work due to not calorie counting. Also, by July, I had started running outside in order to train for a 10k run in September, 2013. Running outside did slightly improve my health, but the weight was still there. I would know it was a running day and stock up, thinking I could eat whatever I wanted because I was going for a run tonight – a completely ridiculous thought process and something I have clearly picked up from the media at one point or another!

Once the 10k run was out of the way and the colder and darker night descended, I stopped running and I didnt know what to do – the gym wasnt an option, as I would just be wasting money, so I attempted trying to work slimming world ideas back into my diet without going back to the classes. This didnt work.

At the start of December, 2013, my boyfriend mentioned to me that his mum had started the 5:2 plan. I was very sceptical – I had heard of people in the office who had tried it and it just sounded very unhealthy, especially as one of them used to binge on a family size packet of crisps the night before a fast! How could something like that actually work and be good for you. My boyfriend did mention that his mum had lost 5lbs in the first week, which was amazing and briefly sparked my interest, but I was still unconvinced, as I didnt believe it was sustainable and continued as I was.

A couple of weeks later though, on the 15th December, 2013, I hit my highest weight of 13 stone 2 and I thought that this was it, I could not continue to put on weight and have no control over it. I am very into horse riding and more recently have been going on horse riding holidays. These holidays require you to be below 15 stone, otherwise they will not allow you to ride! It would devastate me if I got over 15 stone and couldnt go riding, so I had to put something into action.

On the 15th I started quizing my boyfriend on the 5:2 plan and asked about sustainability, knowing that I needed a boost and fast. It all seemed very reasonable, although I still held my reservations. So I vowed to start that very week; I could not wait until after Christmas, I had to see whether it worked.

On the 17th December, 2013, I did my first fast day and I was amazed at how easy it was. Missing breakfast (which I have no qualms in doing), having a 200 carlorie lunch and 300 calorie dinner. I have to admit at around 5pm, after being rather busy at work, I was feeling a tad weak, but soldiered through and did the entire day. I did another fast on the 19th December, 2013, with no problems at all. Followed by another fast on the 23rd December, 2013, which was slightly harder with Christmas being so close, as there was chocolate in the office and the senior management had ordered in McDonalds for the entire office, fortunatley, one of the other girls who had done the 5:2 plan suggested having a salad and it was quite nice in all respects, but not something I’d go for every week.

I do have a tendancy to weigh myself every day, so I had been monitoring my progress over the first week; however, on Tuesday 24th December, 2013, I weighed myself and found that I had lost 6lbs in a week!! That was a phenomenal amount for me and something I would have never achieved in several months at Slimming World.

After this, I was hooked – granted Christmas did slightly get in the way, but I managed to do 2 weeks of 6:1 and although I put on 4lbs over the Christmas period, within the first week of starting back on the 5:2 plan in January, 2014, I had lost the 4lbs again and was back on track – brilliant!

On the days I am not fasting I try to stick to the Slimming World ideas within reason, but I do not count syns or calories and if I want a piece of chocolate, I will have a piece of chocolate. There is no guilt.

Within a 3 week period, I have gone from 13 stone 2 to 12 stone 11, so as of today, I have lost 5lbs, with my greatest weight loss being 6lbs.

I enjoy this way of eating and it makes much more sense to cut your calorie in take for two days, than every day and unlike Slimming World, which went against my better nature by saying eat as much of these foods as you like and you will still lose weight, this way of eating makes perfect sense to me. You eat less, you lose weight.

At the weekend, my mum (who is also doing 5:2 and has lost 5lbs also) and myself went out for a meal for her birthday and I ate 3 courses without thinking “is this healthy enough”, “are there too many calories in this”, I just enjoyed the food, including an ultimate brownie tower for desert – great πŸ™‚

As others have commented on here, I do also find that I am not ravenous the following day after a fast or on any of my feast days – in fact, yesterday I did a fast and woke up this morning not feeling hungry, so I have skipped breakfast and probably wont eat until 1pm. This doesnt scare me, I dont feel like I should be diving into the biscuit tin, I feel quite awake and I have enough energy to keep me going until 1pm. Plus I have the thought that I am having a dominoes pizza for tea tonight – yummy πŸ™‚

I have found that I am more aware of what I am putting into my body and on some feast days, I do monitor what I am eating within reason – not that it would stop me from eating a pack of crisps if I want one, I would just choose not to eat two packs of crisps haha πŸ™‚

Much like other people on here, when I initially started the 5:2 plan, I was wary of mentioning it to certain people, as I knew I would receive negative comments, but after losing 5 lbs in 3 weeks, including Christmas, I am more inclined to mention it to people without feeling a heated discussion will follow. Not that I would force this way of eating on others, this plan works for me, it wont necessarily work for others.

I read the bad and good reports on this plan before attempting it, I made sure that it was reasonable healthy and sustainable and as far as I am concerned it is! Eat what I want for 5 days and lose weight – sounds bloody fantastic to me πŸ™‚

Anyway, I think I have given you my full life story and thoroughly bored you to tears too πŸ™‚ I will be returning at regular intervals, moving forward, updating on my progress – I have no idea what my target is, but I am sure as the weight comes off, I will have a better idea πŸ™‚

Loving this diet plan.

Regards,

Jillian

Congrats so far Jillian and welcome to the ‘club’ πŸ˜‰

Sounds like you did your homework and have made a cracking start. I wouldn’t have been allowed on that holiday when I first started this WOL I think (not absolutely sure as I didn’t take a start measurement but I’m pretty sure I was at or over 15 stone) and a year and almost a half on I am 2.5 stone down I think, so it’s slow but steady for me and as you say, very sustainable.

Bon chance!

Great stuff Jillian and welcome form me too!

Very inspirational story, wishing you all the best and success on your new ay of life!!

πŸ™‚ xx

Welcome Jillian, and congratulations on your weight loss so far.

Like you I have struggled with my weight – I am great at losing it but then it always goes back on once you stop concentrating/counting/monitoring every last thing you eat and drink – and that has never been sustainable.

I started 5:2 for similar reasons when a friend came to stay who had tried it – just to lose a few pounds. She is a really thoughtful serious person and has never dieted as she’s always been reasonably slim – she was just gaining a bit of flab due to the menopause. This encouraged me to investigate further and having read comments on the forum I started in August.

I think we all have one key thing that makes us start – your motivation sounds like the horse riding – mine was being advised to lose weight prior to surgery. I am 5ft4 and weighed 13st 8.5lb at the time – and I should be no more than 10st 6lb (that’s where I hit a healthy BMI) and I’d just ran out of excuses!

Almost 5 months in I am 1.5 stones down – and that is with no exercise – with a couple of blips where I regained a few pounds on holiday in September and over Xmas. I am also 100% sure now that I can reach my 10 stone goal once I am recovered from my operation.

I really hope you continue to lose on this diet, The forum is great for support and tips. Keep us posted about your progress and good luck! πŸ™‚

Cath x

Well done Jillian!

I can relate so much to a lot of what you have said both about the weight and this WOE. I am just under 5ft 4ins and weighed 12stone 13lb (the most I have ever been)at the beginning of October after eating all Summer. I am now down to 11stone 11lbs which is only 1lb more than I was this time last year. I haven’t really given myself a target but would love to be under 11 stone for a start.

I could kick myself for putting on the weight but also for not starting the plan when I saw the programme on TV last April. At the time I thought that I could not exist on 500 calories a day but have proved myself wrong.

I know what you mean about being more aware of what you are putting into your body. I usually fast Mondays and Wednesdays but I sometimes forget that I am not doing it on Tuesdays and Thursdays too (Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the weekend!)and have to remind myself that I can eat more. It’s probably something to do with being at work and every day being the same!

Good luck and keep us posted. Linda

Hi Jillian

Was really interested to ride your post and congratulations on your weight loss – brilliant! I am going on a horse riding holiday at the end of March and started the 5:2 to get in better shape and to (hopefully) lose some weight before I go. I need to lose a fair amount of weight but have set myself the target of losing 9lbs by 14 March which I hope is doable! I am only on week 2 but hadn’t lost any weight at the end of week 1 so am trying to be doubly good this week. I might go to 4:3 next week to kick start it! Anyway congratulations again – reading stories like yours really helps to keep the motivation going.

Thank you to all of you for your replies, I love the support that is given through this forum and it is clearly because we are all on the same boat and on the same journey πŸ™‚

TracyJ – that weight loss is amazing! 2.5 stone and steadily too, which is even better. Although I did like my initial weight loss, I would much prefer to lose 1lb a week. But anything I lose will be a bonus.
    I have yet to see much of a difference in my appearance, although there is a bit of a give in my trousers today 

Angie – thank you for the welcome and thank you for the best wishes too πŸ™‚

Cathy – I’m exactly the same with weight, can lose some but then end up putting on more. I’ve always hated the idea of dieting and for quite a few years had the mindset that if I exercised, I could eat what I wanted – as we all know, it just aint true, unfortunately πŸ™ I like that I don’t have to call 5:2 a diet, its a way of life and a sustainable one at that; plus if I don’t want to tell people I’m doing it, I don’t have to, which is great.

I think in part the horse riding was my motivation, I think I also was sick of getting bigger and seeing no way out of it. Going shopping for clothes also became very depressing – I refused to buy bigger sizes so would end up coming away with nothing. I’m looking forward to going shopping again and picking up a size, knowing it will fit or perhaps even be too big – that will be nice πŸ™‚

5 months in and 1.5 stone down is brilliant, especially with no exercise too – I’m not exactly a couch potato but if someone gives me the choice of getting on the treadmill for an hour or sitting on the sofa for an hour, there is no contest πŸ™‚

I’m sure you’ll reach your 10 stone goal in no time and I think that’s another thing with this way of eating, you know you’ll reach your goal, no matter how many blips along the way, you just get back on the horse πŸ™‚

Rest assured, I will be keeping you updated on my progress.

Linds – that’s a brilliant weight loss, especially with having Christmas in between that. I’d be so pleased to lose a stone, which would get me to a weight that I was approx 2 years ago – a weight that at the time, I didn’t think I would be happy with, but right now, I’d give my right arm for πŸ™‚

Thinking about it, my ideal weight according to my BMI is about 9 stone 10 or something like that, so to get to about 10 stone would be nice and a figure I have never seen on the scales in all of my adult years. So thinking like that I need to lose approx 3 stone in total – sounds a lot, but seeing weight losses of 2.5 stone, 1.5 stone and a stone, seems as though it could be manageable, scratch that, will be manageable 

I never saw the programme and I am kind of gutted that I didn’t, because I could have started it earlier. I have seen Michael Mosely on other programmes and trust what is coming out of his mouth, so if I had seen it, I would have been well on my way to losing 3 stone by now – ahh well, better late than never.

I am trying to fast Monday’s and Thursday’s, although this is subject to change from week to week dependant on nights out etc. (love the flexibility), but much like you, I find that on the days in between, I am quite mindful of what I am eating, as I don’t want to undo any loss. Completely agree about the weekends too – they are the weekends and my time to eat 

Forgot to mention that my mum and myself also went and had a consultation to try LighterLife in 2012 – very glad we had a consultation as it was really not for me – 3 x meal replacement shakes every day until you hit your goal weight, then ongoing group support. Not sustainable at all – they did say that they would ease you back into eating normally, but all I could see was the weight piling on.

You dropped your calorie intake to 600 calories every day and I asked about exercise i.e. would I be able to do any, bearing in mind my strong interest in horse riding and it being a very physical hobby. The woman said that I could easily do horse riding, as it wasn’t that hard!! The woman had clearly never ridden a horse in her life and has made the assumption that it is easy. I am a fairly competent rider, so the horses I ride can be fairly firey, meaning I am always on guard and aware of what is going on and usually, I know how to handle any situation; to drop my calories to 600 calories every day and then try and control a very highly strung, strong horse would just be asking for trouble.

Suffice to say, we did not do the LighterLife diet because of the above and due to the fact that it would have cost us Β£72 per week each, which would have cost us more than our normal weekly shop!

This way of eating is so much more sustainable and I can choose to eat more calories on a horse riding day and it doesnt cost the earth to follow – multiple bonuses.

Thanks again for your replies.
    Jillian

Hi Jenki – thank you for your reply.

Where are you going for your horse riding holiday? The group I go hacking with and myself are planning to go in April/May, 2014 (not booked yet) and we will be going to Freerein in Hay on Wye. We went there last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it, gave me such an insight into looking after an horse (as I’ve never really looked into that side of it) and spending 3 days in the saddle was great, if not a little sore by the end of it πŸ™‚ – plus the holiday brought me and the guy I go riding with together as a couple, so I have fond memories of Freerein.

Last year, I did try to lose some weight and get fitter for the riding before going but I ended up just going to the gym and not all that frequently either, plus I don’t think I lost any weight, if anything I put it on. So it would be nice to go back this year and feel that little bit fitter; trudging through muddy fields with a horse almost dragging me along as he wanted to go home, was not much fun last year, this year I will be control πŸ™‚

I am sure you will manage a 9lb loss ready for March. I have not tried 4:3 yet, although I suppose if I look at it, in my first week I did 4:3, as I did my first fast on a Tuesday and by the following Tuesday, I had fasted 3 times – I lost 6lbs in that week, so might be worth a shot, but don’t worry if you cant, even doing 5:2 will have its affect πŸ™‚

All the best for your weight loss, let me know how you get on.

Regards,
    Jillian

Hi All,

I wasnt going to post until Friday, but finding myself in a bit of a lull, so thought I’d post πŸ™‚

I’ve lost 5lbs in total since the 15th December, 2013, which if I think about it is pretty good, as it equates to a 1lb loss every week and Christmas has come in between. I know I am probably slowing down and that is all good, but I think im getting on the scale and seeing it tooing and froing between 12 stone 11 and 12 stone 13 and its becoming a little frustrating.

I fasted yesterday and will be fasting again tomorrow, so hopefully I will see a change on Friday.

On a brighter note, my mum has been doing this since the 15th December, 2013 too and has jumped on the scales this morning to see that she has lost half a stone – was a bit of an inspiration for me. She hasnt been the weight she is this morning for several years, so she is very very happy πŸ™‚

Good luck all.

Regards,
    Jillian

Hi Jillian, If you haven’t already it might be time to check your TDEE using the calculator in the “How’ section.

For those who are well over ‘Ms Average’ levels (myself included to begin with) they can drop massive amounts of weight just by introducing the 2 500 calorie days. However, if you find that your TDEE is hovering on or below the 2000 calorie level then you may want to just be more aware of what you’re taking in on non-fastdays and try to keep that number roughly under your TDEE (TDEE is the maximum of what you should take in) but definitely OVER your BMR (BMR is the minimum you should take in – DON’T go below this number).

Having said all that, if you are losing 1lb a week then that’s pretty damn good really (wish I was still losing at that level – 1lb a month is OK but it’s not as exciting as seeing a 4lb drop month on month I’ll grant you!). Don’t worry too much about it until you start to plateau for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Well done to you and your Mum Jillian.

I’m on my 2nd fast day this week and can’t wait to see if I have lost anything since last week. I’m trying to get my sister on board as we both said we needed to lost weight after our holiday last September and she has done nothing about it. She said she could see it in my face the other week and has been asking me more questions about it. We are identical twins and she won’t like it if she gets known as the fatter twin! It would be nice to have some extra support as well as from this forum as I don’t know anyone else who is doing it. Linda

Hi All,

Thank you for your responses to my post on Wednesday; I think I was feeling a bit down, due to not seeing much of a change, but after thinking about it, weighing myself almost every day is not such a great idea now and I have resolved to only weigh myself once a week, on a Friday, regardless of whether it is a fast day before or not πŸ™‚

Tracy – I did take a look at my TDEE as you suggested and it gave me a figure of 1827, which oddly drops by 6 calories when I turn 27 in February! Anyway, I am now keeping this figure in mind and trying to keep below it when possible. Keeping below this figure will obviously be much easier during the working week, than at weekends, but I’ll give it a go πŸ™‚

How did you get on Linds? I know what you mean about the extra support, its so nice to pop onto this forum to read through the positive stories and to read of the downs too. Fortunatley, my mum is doing this too and my boyfriend is very supportive of it, as his mum is doing it too, so I do have a few other people I turn to as well.

As an update, I weighed myself this morning; please see below my results

STARTING WEIGHT on 16.12.13 – 13 stone 2
    WEIGHT TODAY on 17.1.14 – 12 stone 9
    Total loss – 7lbs

Very happy with that πŸ™‚

As I say, I am now not going to weigh myself again until next Friday, would much prefer to see the scales going down, rather than fluctuating.

Hope you all having a good Friday.

Jillian

Hi Jillian, well done on your loss this week. Unfortunatley, I haven’t lost anything but at least I haven’t put any on!

Your TDEE will go down as you get older because the older you get the less calories you are supposed to need which is why it’s a few less when you are 27.

Linda

Thanks for your reply Linda. Sorry to hear you’ve not lost anything, but as you say, at least you havent put on and I am sure that next week, you will see a loss πŸ™‚

I am very pleased to be heading away from the 13 stone mark – although I would obv love to lose every week, just to say away from 13 stone would also be very good πŸ™‚

thanks for the explanation on the TDEE – I did kinda screw up my face when I saw it drop, but suppose it makes sense. I know that I am nowhere near eating 1827 calories on my non fast days – I could have easily devoured this amount before starting the fast diet, but now I just couldnt face that amount of calories, plus actually understanding how many calories are in certain items does help – if it came to a choice of eating a chocolate bar at 250 calories or having a filling meal of 250 calories, I know what I would go for and its nice to see that change πŸ™‚

Good luck for this week and have a good weekend.

Jillian

I know what you mean Jillian, I’m so pleased to be under 12 stone but I’ll be ecstatic to be under 11 stone!!!

I remember years ago when I was around 10st 7lb thinking that I had to do something about it, and I did – I just put more on!! I have nobody to blame but myself but I’m determined to shift it now and I do believe I can do it this way. Don’t get me wrong, I can still stuff my face for the sake of it so I’ve a long way to go but I know I will get there.

You have a good weekend too – Linda

Loved your post Jillian. I am only one week in, but your story is familiar as I started 5/2 at my heaviest ever of 13.3 stones.. My target is to get down into 11 something’s which would be fab…think 10 stone might be pushing it, although I probably should be that weight given I am only 5ft 4 tall.

Found my first two fast days easy…. Couldn’t believe how easy to be honest..I am taking a different approach to weighing myself. I have avoided scales for years because I know I have been piling on the pounds, largely through snacking, because my main meals are relatively healthy and unprocessed… I have set myself a six month target and I will not weight myself until then… Hopefully I will notice differences way before then in terms of clothing feeling looser, but it don’t want to get up, and then down, by small changes in either direction on a weekly basis.

I am super positive about this working, and it have already noticed I am using portion control on my non fast days, in a way I didn’t think I would!

All the best
    Tasha

Haha – just realised I had a typo in my first post on here. Don’t know how I managed it but it’s 3.5 stone down in the past 18 months not 2.5. I’m doing myself out of a stone there. The weight loss is gradual but it hasn’t been quite THAT gradual πŸ˜‰

I agree Tracy…

2.3 Stone down in 7 months here…and feel great!

Jillian, sorry I’ve missed your earlier posts. I’m sure you will be both successful and comfortable with 5:2. You’ve already made a spectacular start.

I see you have tried various organisations like Slimming World, Lighter Life etc, none of which I’d touch with a barge-pole. All those bossy types telling you what you should and shouldn’t do, talking to you as if you were a five-year-old and trying to get you to spend your hard-earned cash on their dubious goodies. And there are those that conduct the ritual humiliation of their members by cheering losses and boo-ing gains.

Here, you do your own thing. No shoulds or shouldn’ts. There’s only one rule and that is YOU make the rules. Through trial and error, and sometimes by comparing your experience with that of others, you’ll find what works for you. It is a good idea to try your best to stay under 500 cal on a fast day. But if you do blow it on one day, there’s always tomorrow or the day after. Fast days are moveable according to your schedule. It’s no fun going out with your mates and having to stick to 500 cal. And you’re even allowed to fall, or even jump, off the wagon from time to time.

Thank you for this post. I have been on the same position. I lost weight on slimming world but now want to be “normal”. I was beginning to lose my real love of food because I constantly think how many syns or feel guilty if I eat something indulgent.
    I am now doing 5:2 and am determined to stick with it. Losing weight would be a bonus but even maintaining where I am now is fine if five days a week I can enjoy olive oil, avocados, decent yoghurt and streaky bacon ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply.