1 week in and looking for buddies!

This topic contains 279 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  LindaSue 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 280 total)

• Hi Folks, sounds like everyone is in control and feeling good with what they’re doing.

Apricot, I’ve just been looking at the Diet Doctor site about low carb. I had brown rice for dinner, with steamed sea bass and peppers and celery. I’ve not been able to locate yet the part you referred to where it talks about the balance of proteins, carbs etc. I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Well done Teeshabell on staying in control. Good luck with the weigh in tomorrow. Have you got good things to do over half term?

I have just rewarded myself with a glass of amaretto, and a couple of almond biscuits with my coffee. I’ve decided that on non fast days, and especially at weekends, I need to give myself little treats, looked forward to and counted.

Well done tramcaur. I think I’m actually spending more time preparing and cooking, but I’m on a bit of a Chinese kick at the moment. Fresh ginger, yum.

Joan, it’s here,

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Also if you want a bit of a laugh at the expense of statisticians and research scientists, check out this YouTube talk. It’s very entertaining as well as showing why we seem to get conflicting advice about diets and how researchers cheat.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/science-for-smart-people

Hi rachH76

I too want to lose a couple of stone which has crept on over the past two years. I’m 49 on Monday and want to be at target well before I’m 50! I started the diet 4 weeks ago and have lost 6lbs which I am happy with. I go to gym or swimming twice a week, after work, usually on fast days as this keeps me busy and away from the fridge!

On fast days I eat nothing until my evening meal which will be 500 calories. I find this works best for me as if I eat during the day it makes me want to eat more, whereas if I don’t eat anything I keep myself motivated by knowing that my evening meal will be a decent one. Im an ‘all or nothing’ person!

I don’t track calories on non fast days but I find that I naturally don’t want to overeat as a) I feel that would undo the hard work of the day before and b) it takes less to fill me up. That said, if I feel like just 1 or even 2 biscuits with morning coffee on a non fast day, I’ll have them, no guilt, which is what I love about this diet. Weekends are also quite relaxed.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Lainie 12

I agree with 1LIZZIE, cutting out coffee gives me a terrible headache as I discovered last year. Kept getting the worst headaches particularly on Sundays and when I googled that it seemed it was down to habitually drinking 4 or 5 coffees at work during the week and then because of different routines on weekends probably just one on a saturday. So tried to even this up by drinking less coffee during week plus one more at weekends. Weekend Headache gone! Although I am now back to 3 or 4 coffees at work and 2 at weekends. Confused by press articles over whether coffee is good of bad for you, but I dont think ill ever be able to cut it out completely.

Teeshabell, Hope the weigh in goes well!

I’m feeling full of cold, not slept and generally bleugh. Hope everyone has a good weekend, I’m about to meal plan & order my shopping for Monday so that I’m ready for fasting on Monday.

Morning everyone, now only two days till I start and I cannot wait!, I’m in a real strange place at the moment totally focused about what’s ahead and have a clear plan of action for both fasting and eating days, and am going to get back into my daily walks as that will help me in many ways including helping me get back a level of fitness ready for my return to work as a postman in April!, but I’m still binging! had about six biscuits already today and it’s not 8-00 am yet!!!!!! In preparation for my first fast day on Monday should I attempt to ease off the food tomorrow and not eat after 6-00pm like I hear a lot of you mention?? As usual any advice more than welcome?

Hi sounds like people are getting really good results. It’s a good idea to get support because the fasting days can be long. I have been on the 5/2 for three weeks on Monday and doing amazingly well. Lost 6 pounds and given I don’t have much more to lose am delighted. I tend to keep the fast days simple. I have a fried egg using spraylite and a bacon medallion 110 cals and dinner chicken or fish with loads of salad with salad cream. I find its best for me to keep busy drink loads of water, diet tonic and coffee. Always remember that tomorrow you can have that cake or drink if you want. I have found the fast days get easier as weeks go by. I hope I can keep this up but feel determined. Good luck.

Plainy – I go out first thing with my dog in order to avoid diving into breakfast early and then maybe eating too much. I get up very early because headaches get worse when I lie down so the temptation to have a nibble at something with my cup of tea is sometimes hard to resist. Sitting down with tea and something to read usually helps but if I eat I don’t beat myself up about it. Are you mistaking thirst for hunger? I keep a glass of water by my bed and always have at least a sip before I get up.

Good morning all and happy weekend!

Joan- I’ve not got much planned for half term, just relaxing and catching up with friends 🙂

Weigh in this morning saw a loss of 3lbs! That means on the 5:2 diet I’ve now lost a total of 5lbs over the 2 weeks! (11lbs down in total from when I started counting calories just after christmas).

So pleased with how it’s going! My fiancé started the 5:2 diet this week and he lost 4lbs so he’s chuffed too!

Plainy- I make sure to drink lots and lots and I’m particularly fond of Canton’s chocolate tea, which you drink black and has 0 calories! It’s great after dinner on a fast day because it’s lovely and sweet.

Have a good weekend everyone. My next fast day is Monday so I plan to just enjoy the weekend (in moderation) and then we begin a new week!

Hi Plainy, Everybody is different and what works for me, will not necessarily work for others.
    By not having anything to eat since 6pm the previous evening, I would expect to be starving by the next morning, but I’m not. Weird!!!
    I know that if I had anything to eat at breakfast time, I would want to eat more during the day, but by not having anything to eat, by the time I do feel hungry, it is mid afternoon and only a few more hours to go before 6pm when I can sit down to eat my aprox 300cal meal.
    That 24 hours of nothing but water and an occasional sip of Pepsi Max, really sets me up for the following non-diet day.

Congrats Teeshabell on your weigh in & your other half too!

Plainy, I’m a binger and started 5:2 last Monday, I binge’d the Sunday before. I would say just start on Monday and see how you go, I have only done 2 days so still working things out for myself. On the Monday though, I got up and sorted the kids out, got them to school, went to the gym, came home, had a constant cup of peppermint tea in my hand, and kept busy at home and went through to 5pm to eat my one meal and then ate again on after the gym on the Tuesday morning around 10.30am. Its a case of trial and error I think, wishing you all the best for your first day.

Hi Plainy and welcome:

Here is quite a bit of advice as you start 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

But remember, the basic advice is

The less you eat, the more you lose!

Good Luck!

Hi Folks

Apricot, I took note and for dinner tonight we had: chicken stir fried with lots of vegetables and a small amount of noodles. Fabulous. Counting everything, including oil, under 450. I think that because I’ve got the time, I’m enjoying looking at the recipe books, adapting and putting it together.

Reflecting on what Poppy and Trancaur said, I am the same. If I start eating in the morning, I want to eat all day. However, I did have a brunch today and then was distracted by playing Bridge for several hours and then cooked the above dinner. I’m also agreeing with Poppy, Cimmie and Georgie that unless you can have some treats on non fast days then the fast days don’t really mean anything. I’m looking for a reasonably healthy way of life which I can sustain into the long term.

Lizzie, really sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, and I hope you make a quick recovery. Are your children on half term holiday next week? Here in our part of Scotland, it’s just a long weekend. They had Friday off and they’ve got Monday off. We’ve had a lovely day today, but very cold and it’s raining now.

Teeshabell, very well done. Have a great half term R&R. I hope you and your fiancé have kept photos of ‘now’, because I’ll want to see the photos of the wedding in August!

Plainy, I know just where you are at the moment. I was like this just before I stopped smoking after 40 years. Desperate to succeed and terrified that I would ‘let myself, and everybody, down’. What made the difference for me was the support I got through the GP referral to a Smoking Cessation Adviser. My Adviser was wonderful and we had several meetings before ‘Stop Day’.

After I had ‘stopped’ successfully and was no longer dependent on ‘patches’ and weekly meetings we discussed weight loss. He said the process is exactly the same. Psyching yourself up for ‘first day’, knowing what strategies you’re going to use to distract yourself, planning your days so that you can cope etc etc. And then, there is the ongoing support of the adviser.

Now, I know that stopping smoking and managing healthy eating are very different. Smoking is bad for you and is condemned by wider society. But, everyone needs to eat. Smoking is very addictive, but then we seem to be seeing more and more evidence that sugar is addictive…

I would say to you, before Monday, get onto YouTube and watch Dr Robert Lustig and what he’s got to say about sugar. Search for Annette 52, on this site, she’s really helpful about this stuff.

Check our what your NHS can offer in terms of weight loss and see if there’s anything you can access there. Keep us posted. We’re all on your side.

Georgie, I think your advice about keep a glass or water beside you at all times is a good one. My water comes from the River Spey. Lots of good whisky on Speyside, but I’m drinking Rioja at the mo.. Better get back to the Green Tea before I undo all the good work I did earlier…

Before anyone subjects their bodies to the “research” done by Robert Lustig or others like him, please do your own research into the validity of the claims that are being made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lustig

Hello Tramcaur

I don’t think that I’m subjecting my body to any research if I try to source basic foods which have been subjected to minimal processing.

I’m with Annette on this. The Food Processing Industry, who dispute Dr Lustig’s research, are basically like the Tobacco companies.

I am re-reading the 5:2 book for the third time, just to set in my own mind exactly what is being said, how the research was carried out and how much the doctor and his assistant tried it on themselves before they published the book.

People on the internet and in lectures can more or less say what they like and they don’t have to back up their claims with scientific proven facts, so if you are going to experiment with different forms of eating, or abstaining, all I am suggesting is that you research these claims yourself and then make up your own mind about their validity.

This is a forum about the 5:2 diet, yet an awful lot of what I am reading is about abstinence from foods that are not mentioned in the 5:2 book.
    I do feel that if these foods were as harmful as all that, they would be in the book and well known to those organisation who are researching the problems being overweight causes.

Anything outside the parameters of the 5:2 Fast Diet Book would need some in depth research coupled with a discussion with my doctor before I undertook any experiments with it.

However, each to his/her own and what works for some will not necessarily work for others.

Hi tramcaur:

5:2 was not developed as a weight loss diet, and the authors were not necessarily weight loss experts. I outline my observation of how the diet came about in this post: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/52-calorie-restriction-v-fasting-for-newbies/

There are many reasons why the 5:2 book does not address specific foods or types of foods, but the main one is that 5:2 is ‘neutral’ on foods – it works with any foods regardless of kind. It only depends on calorie restriction for its effectiveness.

Each person seems to believe in a ‘healthy’ diet, but when you ask you will find what is ‘healthy’ for one person is ‘dangerous’ or ‘unhealthy’ for another. Many people have different responses to the same foods. Some can eat anything with little reaction, but some might take a bite of onion or bread and get sick.

So what you see on this and other sites is many people telling all who will listen what foods are best. Sometimes they limit it to best ‘for them’, but sometimes they argue the foods they believe in are best for everybody. The science is developing every day. Estimates are that knowledge in the world is doubling every few years. What seems absolutely true (or stupid) today may be absolutely false (or intelligent) next year. Think of the student a long time ago who attended the best university on the planet and studied under the best professors alive – and came out believing that without any doubt the world was flat as a pancake. Things change.

As you realize, it is up to you to decide what foods are best for you, but you should not depend on the 5:2 book, or any other diet book, to dictate what foods you should or should not eat. Just because the 5:2 book does not say you should cut down on sugar does not mean cutting down on sugar will be bad for you – it might be very helpful. Cutting dietary sugar clearly helps many people, and current science supports the theory that excess dietary sugar ingested over time contributes to many diseases. But if you think eating sugar is good for you, great! As long as you stay within the 5:2 calorie restrictions of 5/600 per diet day and TDEE or under on non diet days, you will lose weight.

Good Luck!

Hello Tramcaur

Truce. I sounded snappy last night. Apologies. I’ll avoid processed food as much as possible and stop preaching. Each to their own.

Wow thank you everyone for such detailed advice, currently probably sixteen hours from getting up and I’m still genuinely excitied, the sugar thing is obviously the biggest problem in my whole life and needs to be addressed massively. I’m going to try and eat as clean as I possibly can and I think that will be like hitting it from both angles!, I just think me eating my TDEE in chocolate everyday will not help me one bit as although I need to lose weight to be a handsome groom, I need to somehow stop these huge sugar binges! I’ll worry about the the re introduction Of a little of what I fancy when I feel the need and I will be asking for all of your advice at that point! Till tomorrow when I will post my weight I thank you all once again for your help and advice!

Hi I currently live in Kansas City, MO and I’m one week into the 5:2 lifestyle. I don’t like the word diet and have never really been a dieter however due to being raised by a junk food loving, obese gourmet cook I have been compulsive over food and exercise my entire life. I’ve been vegan 6 years & very focused on clean eating most of my life however I’m kind of a carb whore if I’m not careful! I’m skinny fat these days and just need to loose 7 more pounds. I’m 45 now and have never had such a difficult time loosing weight! I found last week, my 1st fasting week, much easier than expected. I’m fasting Monday’s and Wednesday’s. Last week I added Friday. There was the compulsiveness entering! That was not planned and I got on the scale 3 times, ugh. I don’t normally weigh myself and have never owned a scale due to my compulsive nature. After that madness, loosing gaining the same damn pound all week, I decided to stay off that thing for a while. It taunts me at the gym though. I’m going to have my body fat measured Tuesday and go by that instead. I did loose 1/2 inch off my hips and an inch off my waist.

My weakness is sugar and pastries and chocolate. LOVE IT ALL! It is hard not to treat myself on non fast days and I don’t want to count every calorie I eat but I see myself beginning to do that and I’m not sure what to do about all of that. I just want to be healthy and fit into my jeans again! Anybody else compulsive here? How do you not go insane counting all these calories?!

I’m happy I found this forum and the support and I hope nobody is offended by my small struggle to loose a few pounds. It’s the same for me, I relate to everyone’s struggles. And well I’ve watched my mom struggle with weight my whole life and outside of choosing a healthier lifestyle I AM my mother’s daughter! I work in health and wellness and I hope this will be something great to share with people even for non weight losing issues.

Anyone from KC? Happy Valentines Day and good luck and happy fasting tomorrow for the Monday Fasters. ~ peace

Thanks all for the links. I have read them all. However whether I take any onboard is questionable.

Of all the foods we eat or the beverages we drink, for some folks they are a daily requirement. For others the same foods and drinks are only for special treats. And for yet others, these are poisons.

So, my common sense tells me that these foods and drinks are NOT the problem. The problem, if we call it that, is that WE are all different and we react differently to the same foods and drinks.

For that reason, any diet is only as good as your own self makes it and it will only work for you if your own body allows it to.

For me, the only common denominator in all of this is to discuss your proposed eating/drinking regime with your own doctor before you commit yourself.

I will only know if 5:2 is working for me when I get the results of my blood etc. tests at the end of this month.
    Only then will I have the necessary knowledge to decide on my future compliance with 5:2.

Afterall, at the end of the day it will be my doctor who has to pick up the pieces if it all goes horribly wrong.

I’m happy to find so many fellow fasters and even though I’m doing longer fasts than just a couple days a week, I’m happy to finally find a forum with so many supporting people.

Hi I had good week fasting has not been a big problem still find that if I have porridge and berries in the morning (7.30) I can fast until about 7.30 in the evening. I have found it useful to have plenty of water to hand and drink black tea(am getting used to it) unfortunately I seemed to pick up some 24 hour bug and was very sick in the early hours of Saturday morning. Feeling better now weigh in on Monday morning will let you know how I get on.

I am getting started tomorrow. Hard to start on Valentines Day after all. I actually enjoy exercising but unfortunately I enjoy eating more. I would like to lose about 40 or so pounds. I’m am a retired civil servant and will soon(very soon) be 58.

I am 3 hours into Fast One in my fifth week and really looking forward to tomorrow.
    If it stays dry I will be digging out old tree roots in the garden. That should give me a good workout!!!!

Fed up with myself – am back to what I was a week ago. We did go out last night to friends where delicious food and wine was taken but is that just an excuse? On non-fasting days I seem to have the urge to snack all day so I am wondering whether to try having 3 fasting days. A lot of snow here so my walks out with the dog are going to be a bit restricted. Just can’t seem to get motivated.

Oh Georgie, I empathise with you. It is disheartening when hard work doesn’t seem to be rewarded. I think we fixate on the scales. Focus on the other benefits – the lighter feeling – the healthy eating you’ve been doing – they will show up as a loss later. And think, you went out and had fab food and wine and the scales didn’t show an increase!

I’m with you on the eating through the day. I did that yesterday and had to go to bed to put a stop to it. Fast day today. No snow, but bitterly cold in the NNE wind. Apart from going out to play Bridge, I won’t be going far.

Morning everyone I have started!!! weighed in at 19st 10lbs or 276lbs! Started my First fast Day today been on a 2.5 mile walk and on my 2nd litre of water! Good luck to everyone whether fasting or eating! The journey begins….

Good morning all, week 3 of fasting begins for me today. Definitely needed after the food and alcohol consumed yesterday!

Good luck with your first fast day plainy!

Go for it Plainy! And thank you Joan. You’re absolutely right. I took the dog out and he absolutely loves the snow so it was quite uplifting to see him charging about with a snow covered muzzle. Ended up having a good walk and the colours of the sky are beautiful – different shades of turquoise and grey with the sun shining brightly. Good to be alive. Came back, put the laundry on and changed all the bedding so feeling virtuous. Have to take one of my cats to the vet as he seems to have flu. So that’s the morning taken care of. Was about to have a boiled egg but realised that I wasn’t starving hungry so am delaying eating.
    Welcome yogahippie and good luck. I’m not fixated on sweet things – I just tend to snack even if I’m not hungry.

Plainy, Good luck with day one 🙂
    Georgie, Don’t beat yourself up, sometimes the scales don’t show the effort you’ve put it, keep going and it will show eventually, I know its easier said then done but please try not to let it derail you.
    Joan, yes my kids are on half term this week, not sure how easy a fast day will be with them home but I’m giving it a try.
    I’m two pounds lighter then when I started last week and a stone down on when I started trying to shift the weight in September 🙂

Good morning, weighed myself at 8am have lost 2lbs, I am pleased with this loss if I keep going will reach my target. I know only two weeks in and I understand that things may not always go so well. I seem to be ok with my 2 fast days eating the same things and feel that if it is working why change it, its only two days a week! Hope everyone has a great and succesful week!

Thanks Lizzie. I have no excuse and will stop moaning. My stepson has Prader-Willi Syndrome and its main symptom is permanent hunger so that he will do anything to get food. You’d think I would have learnt that many people have it worse!

Great losses Elaine and Lizzie!

I must admit that i’m finding it hard to fast today. I’m not at work (school) so I’m not as busy as usual and am thinking about food.

More water is needed I think!

Teeshabell, I was thinking earlier today that you might find it difficult being out of routine. Clean your teeth again…

Good idea, Joan! I’ll go an do that!

It’s annoying too because I need to stay in the house because I’m waiting for a delivery. Would be nice if I could go out for a bit for a walk or something. But you can bet if I go out for half an hour that the postie would come in that time!

Most of you starting week 3? I am starting week 2. Going to take rest of Fish & Veg Bake out of freezer. Boiled some eggs yest. An egg and an orange early this afternoon. Need to go for a workout now.

2myhealth, Today is the start of week 2 for me also.

Being out of routine has made things tougher today but I have stuck to my fast and only eaten at 4:30 (was 5pm last week but I felt like I needed it a bit earlier tonight) My meal was a chicken breast with cabbage, carrots, cauliflower & broccoli. Also a banana to take me up to nearly 500 calories.
    My next fast day should be Wednesday but hubby will be off work with me & the kids then so I know I’d find it very difficult to stick to it. I could maybe do it again tomorrow….. hmm will ponder that one whilst taking kids to karate tonight.

Hope everyone elses fast day’s have gone well.

Hi Plainy:

Today is Day 1 for me too! The hunger pangs set in at mid morning but as the FastDiet book recommended, I drank them away. No pangs for about an hour now and am drinking plain chai tea. My biggest fear is that I won’t stick with this, but I feel I must. Maybe this forum will help? Wish you the best of luck as we get control over our health and weight!

There’s something about radishes. I just love them. Only One Calorie per large radish and the crunchy pepperiness of them…need some celery because my tongue is on now on fire. Housework this morning. I don’t enjoy it, but I feel good when I’ve done it. Played Bridge this afternoon. Just need to keep myself occupied now till tomorrow.

Hi everyone, day one has been good drank tonnes of water and eat nothing till 17-30 when I had a huge grilled chicken salad with some cottage cheese 550 kcal with a huge 72g of protein and only 22g of carbs, think that was what a lot of what you suggested keep the protein high and carbs low and certainly for me with my addiction to carbs and mainly sugar it seemed a strong plan, no ill effects just tired and will probably be in bed for 9! Overall feel positive and pleased with my first day!

Pixie great to hear of someone else beginning there journey today! I have some terrible habits and I more than anyone always feel it’s when not if will I fall off the wagon, but I’m trying to go into this with a plan of this is for life, I’m trying to save myself because although my blood sugar is fine I cannot keep getting away with how I have been leading my life! I wish you all the best on your journey, and if you want to bounce any ideas off me your more than welcome.

Hi all. Hope you don’t mind me butting into your group. You all seem to be doing amazingly well!
    I’ve been doing the 16:8 since Jan 1st and have lost 17lbs. It seems to have reset my hunger response as I now seldom think of food unless I am ravenous.
    I’ve struggled with the 5:2 in the past and given up. Today was my first day back to it. I’m going with a total fast. It’s been my successful fast so far. I’ve not been tempted to break fast and I’m off to bed soon so I’m feeling pleased.
    I’ve lots of weight to lose and am anxious to see health benefits to this way of life. It’s a long journey but I’ve taken my first steps…

Hi newbies:

Here is most of the information you need to be successful with 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Well done everyone on your losses and comitment to fasting. 2nd week of 5:2 for me today. Am really struggling today very very hungry. Can’t wait to go to bed! Last week split my calories into 2 meals 1st at 11ish then 2nd around 6pm but realised probably not long enough between meals to be effective? Today ate breakfast of boiled eggs at 08.30 then salmon and stir fried veg at 18.30. Couldn’t wait any longer but still feel ravenous! May try on wed just having one meal. Can’t drink anymore water.More low calorie veggies next time I think. Roll on tomorrow!

Rach, I’m another who needs to be heading to bed early tonight to stick to it.

Me three! I have really struggled with today. I think it was a mixture of eating lots and lots of yummies yesterday and the fact that I’m on half term so my usual routine was out the window!

It sounds like a lot of us will be heading off early to bed after a tough day of resisting temptation.

We won’t feel hungry in the morning. We’ll just feel really, really good, and ‘in control’.

I think today’s been difficult because it’s after Valentine’s weekend and the weather is Baltic and some of us are ‘out of routine’.

Nice to know I’m not alone Lizzie and teeshabell. Simcoeluv, thanks for the link. Just had a good read and grateful to know I can eat my calories at whatever time I like. Just trial and erroro I suppose to find what works best for you.

Had a good fast day yesterday with about 2 hours of walking the dog. This morning the scales tell me that I have lost the weight I regained plus another half pound so feel very cheered.
    Went to bed feeling rather hungry and pretty empty this morning. However am having my usual rooiboch tea then black coffee. Will walk the dog before deciding whether I want breakfast. Freezing cold wind drifting the snow.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply.