1 week in and looking for buddies!

This topic contains 279 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  LindaSue 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 280 total)

• So far so good, on my first Fast day. I have been hungry just before lunch but I always get hungry before lunch! I am breaking up my 500 cals so I had a small bowl of soup and will have dinner later on 🙂 hoping I dont feel overly hungry tonight!

Liza, make sure you drink plenty, I definitely feel that that helped on my first fast yesterday.

I have been trying to drink as much water as possible Lizzie. Been up and down to the toilet all day though haha!

Liza, hahaha I was the same yesterday but it definitely helped with the hunger 🙂

Felt hungrier today on a food day than I did yesterday on my fast day! How does that work???

Anyways, I managed to not go too crazy. Birthday at work meant a staff room full of cakes and donuts.

Another fast day for me tomorrow and another birthday at work, so more cakes! Gah. So difficult!! But rules are rules and if I’m fasting, no cakes for me! At least it takes away the decision of ‘should I or shouldn’t I?’

Non-fasting day today and had delicious pub lunch with my daughter. Was aware of my recommended TDEE and BMR calories so chose a meal which didn’t include past or spuds so I could have a lovely glass of white wine (large). I’m not counting the calories on non-fast days but use the recommendations as a sort of mental check/guidelines. Think I did OK and don’t want anything to eat this evening.
    Have bought loads of veg so will think up some dishes tomorrow for my next fast day on Thursday.

Teeshabell, I couldn’t cope with cakes etc round me!! Good luck for tomorrow.
    Georgie, sounds like a lovely day.

I’ve purposely not done much cleaning today, thinking that I need to keep super busy tomorrow for fast day 2! (particularly after the couple of pancakes I’ve had!)

Good morning all, another fast day for me today. Got my dinner all planned, now just got to get through the day! Anyone else on a fast day? Good luck if you are!

Morning, my 2nd fast day today.
    I stayed in bed as long as I could this morning,
    Git the kids off to school, now rather then straighten up the house a bit as I normally would before the gym, I’m going to straight to the gym for a longer workout and leave the house til I get home. Feel the need to keep very busy today.
    Again I’m aiming for just one meal around 5pm.
    Good luck all those fasting today.

Morning Teeshabell and Lizzie
    No, I’m fasting tomorrow. Best of luck to you both, but you sound well planned and I think that’s half the battle. Having your head in the right place!
    Look forward to hearing about your success later.

Hi all. Sounds like everyone doing well. I’m looking forward to my 2nd fast day tomorrow. Am working in the afternoon til 8pm so hoping that will help. Haven’t been very strict on my no fast days (had pancakes too yesterday Lizzie which I never do) so will be interested to see what happens on the scales.

Hi everyone. Fast day tomorrow for me as well and I’m looking forward to it in a funny sort of way. I seem to lose control on non-fast days. Once I start eating I seem to want to eat more. Particular danger time for me is evening. Think I will have to keep myself occupied more. I always sit with a pint glass of water by my side which helps but I need to get a grip on non-fast days. Any tips?

Hi all,
    Joan, I definitely found planning helped.
    Rach, from what I read you don’t need to be strict on the non fast days. I’m not counting on those days just trying not to go crazy!
    Georgie, having water at your side is a great plan, I think you already said that you don’t eat after a certain time which is another good one. How about doing something to occupy your hands? Knitting, cross stitch, a crossword, ring someone?

I’ve just had my meal, had gammon, veg & egg and a banana as I was only at 400 cals. Feeling stuffed at the min. Kids to karate shortly so that will keep me busy.
    Teeshabell, how’s your fast going today? Must be hard with birthday cakes around!
    Good luck to everyone who is fasting tomorrow xxx
    (Sorry for typo’s autocorrect on phone and I’m rushing!)

Argh! Such a tough day! Cakes and then the valentines disco at school (200 kids screaming and running around in a hall). Made for a tough fast day! But I’m finally home and cooking my evening meal. How was everyone else’s day?

Teeshabell, sounds like my idea of hell!! lol
    Back from karate and had a long hot bath, now tummy is grumbling so I’m going to have another cuppa and watch a bit of tv before bed.
    Pleased with how well today has gone and found that I’ve been more productive as I’ve kept myself so busy at home 🙂 House looks great, even hubby commented when he came in.
    I’m considering making this week a 4:3 by fasting again on Friday as I’ve found it ok these couple of days I’ve done and I don’t have any plans for Friday.
    Anyone else done 4:3

Lizzie, I was planning to fast again on Friday too! My fiancé is planning to fast on Friday so I thought I’d do it too and make it a 4:3 week! Haven’t tried it yet but am intrigued.

aw fab, nice to to be doing it alone, found this thread useful to keep me on track. Quite often we have plans on a Friday as we haven’t this week I thought I’d try and make the most of it!

Hi Lizzie and Teeshabell

No, I haven’t ever done 4:3, but I’m sure there will be others who have. Isn’t there another thread on that?

Anyway, well done both of you.

Hi everyone, really keen to get support. I, 3 days in to the 5:2 having fast Monday and Tuesday. It went really well, but suffered with a 2 day headache and extreme tiredness.. is this normal? any advice would be gratefully accepted. I’m not feeling hungry and have even stopped drinking tea and coffee and instead lots of hot water with a slice of lemon.
    Oh now I’ve typed my plea of support, I think I’m replying to another post, so maybe I need additional help??
    Lainie12

Thanks Joan. Hope you have a good one tomorrow.

Thanks Lizzie. Will try to keep occupied but if you saw my attempts at knitting or cross stitch it would certainly put you off your food! As to phone calls, funnily enough I have just had a call from an ex client (I used to run a domestic abuse charity) asking for help for someone so have a focus this evening.
    I also was thinking of having Friday as a fast day as well as tomorrow. Think it will be good for me.

Laine, the headache may just been down to not having any tea/coffee if you are a regular drinker. I did my first fast on Monday, don’t think I could have done Tuesday as well though, well done. Are you feeling better today?

Hi all am into my second week of 5:2 , have been feeling really great. My fast days are Tuesday and Thusday, I find that this suits me because I work Wed, Thurs and Fri. On my first Tuesday I had porridge and berries found that I was really full, at lunch time I go to yoga so did not think about food. At 6.30 I had a ready meal 300 cal and this was enough to keep me going until bedtime. I must say that even on non fasting days I am not over eating. Sleeping better any generally feel better!! Oh I lost 2lbs on the first week. Weighing myself on a Monday morning. I want to loose about 20lbs, so my goal is by the end of March I want to have lost about 10lbs. Goal is to reach my target by July when I am off to Sorrento for my holiday. I also have Crohns and had 10 inches of my colon removed! Too bad it was not 10 inches off my waist😜

Well I am now on my second fast day of this week and I am 6 hours in already.
    I find that starting the fast at 6pm the previous evening helps me to cope better.
    I will have a 300cal meal at 6pm tomorrow evening and that leaves me 300cal, if I think I need it at suppertime, but hopefully I won’t.

I am getting better prepared with each passing week.

Second fast day underway. Made the mistake of eating biscuits last night. Not a good idea I don’t think. Felt awful when I got up but feeling better after a black coffee. Drinking plenty of water and going to buy fresh soup to take to work.Having a big bowl of porridge before I go which should hopefully fill me up. Think next time I’ll try your tip of fasting from 6pm the night before tramcaur.Does this make you less hungry?

Hi all I’m starting on Monday can’t wait! I’m male 6ft 1 and currently weighing about 19 & 1/2 stone, had problems with my weight since childhood really! Am a great dieter lost 49lb January to May last year , but put it all back on and more, till I was a huge 21st on January 1st 2016. I have loved reading your threads and can’t wait to start! Any advice would be welcomed!

Hi Plainy
    Tell me more about what was going on in you mind when you started to gain weight again in June?

I know that I started this diet last year and managed two/three weeks, with good weight loss, and then let it all go when we had guests come to stay. I just couldn’t seem to get back into it.

This is the thing that worries me most, becoming distracted and ‘falling off’ the Fast:diet wagon.

Hi Rache
    I’m on second fast day today too. Green tea so far today. I will try to postpone eating as long as possible. Hopefully till about 5.30

Hi Elaine
    Holiday in Sorrento in July is a nice incentive. Just ‘feeling’ better helps me keep going. I’ve got mini goals to help as well, but I’ve got much more to lose than you.

Fast day has started ok. Walked the dog so delayed having a boiled egg till about 1030. Made some spinach soup yesterday which has no thickening but is still tasty so plan to have that at lunchtime. Will force myself to do some housework (hate it but give myself a pat on the back when finished!} Then practice some singing for choir tonight, long walk on the moors this afternoon as it’s such a lovely day then prepare some salmon to eat before I go out. Sorted! fingers crossed.

Hi rachH76, There are several things that make a 6pm the day before better for me.
    Doing a 6 to 6 means that I am not going to bed on a full stomach and that means I sleep better.
    Also it means that I am eating, albeit a much smaller meal on Fast Day, at the same time as everyone else.
    The bonus being that as I prepare our two dogs evening meal, I am not tempted to say “to hell with them, I will have their dog food instead”. <GGG>.

Seriously though, the 6 to 6 is easier to achieve a 24 hour fast before I have a 300 cal meal. Also this gives a bit of leeway for a supper if needs be.
    Like the whole Fast Diet, it just fits better with my lifestyle.

Hi Joan I have a very bad relationship with food and in particular sweet things mainly chocolate! I will think nothing of smashing my daily allowance of kcal in chocolate and possibly within a couple of hours! I am not a huge eater by any stretch of the imagination, my 10 stone petit fiancé can easily out eat me no problem, it’s just what I eat, I never feel sick of eating such delights!!
    January 2015 19st 12lbs
    May 6th 2015 16st 6lbs
    I felt a million dollars and had achieved it all through clean eating and exercise!
    January 2016 20st 12 lbs
    It makes me feel sick to even look at those statistics don’t get me wrong there are some outside factors involved in this tale of woe! I am a postman but have had a extended break from work through a wrist injury and then surgery, though I will be returning in April so 8-10-12 miles a day will obviously help things!
    The thing is I know I can get to 15 stone I was only probably six weeks away from it last year but I just can’t keep it off!

Hi Plainy. Have you tried having a reduced calorie chocolate drink such as Options for when you need a choco boost? I got some last week when my sister was staying. She is on the FastDiet and always has some in the cupboard for when she needs a boost but doesn’t want succumb to a sugar fest. She says she often wants one but tries to delay indulging by 5,10,15 mins whatever she can manage.

Hi Georgie
    Thank you for the advice, in all honestly I have not, but it will certainly be something I will try! The thing is I know this will work for me and I will lose the weight, it’s the searching for a lifestyle change and a little of what I want that is the ultimate goal and advice like yours is what I need so many thanks

Hi everyone
    just a quick question do you think I should stick to my TDEE on none fasting days because by the look of the figures it recommends my TDEE is around 3000 kcal which seems a lot? Any advice or experiences welcome??!

Starting 2nd Fast day. Went out to dinner last night and took home half of it. Get to eat salmon again tonite. Up til then I’ll have some low sodium chicken broth and maybe some apple slices. My capris I wore playing golf yesterday fit much better. Yay!

Like many of you will go workout, then house needs attention so will clean and do laundry rest of day. Tomorrow will be first official weigh in day.

Hi Plainy,
    Have a look at the FAQ’s at the top of the page, which should help with some queries. As regards your TDEE, make sure that you pick an activity level that is accurate for what you are doing now. Try writing down everything that you eat and drink for a week, a bit tedious, but just for 7 days, which can be a complete eye opener in where those calories are coming from. You might also note your mood. There was someone on this forum who mentioned HALT, the premise is very simple, before you eat/drink something ask your self ‘am i hungry?’ ‘am I angry?’ ‘am I lonely?’ ‘am I tired?’. I found that really helpful and as a result made some different decisions.

I see no reason why you cannot reduce your TDEE, but make sure that it isn’t ready meals or take aways. Processed food is full of sugar, sugar is keeping you on a cycle of bingeing, so reduce the sugar in your diet(watching out for hidden stuff in baked beans, jar tomato sauces etc) and you will feel better, the desire for the sweet stuff will diminish and if you drink fizzy drinks, then stop them now. Have a look at what you eat over the day, especially breakfast.

It is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Think about what you like to eat that is unprocessed and aim to eat wholemeal bread, fruit and vegetables, unprocessed meat, brown rice and wholewheat pasta, eggs, cheese, nuts, legumes, yoghurt etc. Aim for whole grains, porridge is very good. Avoid anything that has the word’diet’ or ‘low fat’ as they are invariably stuffed full of sugar. A really interesting read is by Dr Robert Lustig( a paediatric endocrinologist in the US) who has been studying obesity and why/how we get fat and what we can do about it, busting all those diet myths along the way-such as eat less, move more(why they don’t work). The list of foods to aim for is from his book ‘fat chance, the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease.’ It will make you think about what you eat and why, the role of the food industry and the misinformation that we have been given and how/why.

Read the packets of the sweets etc and look for the amount of sugar within. Anything over 22g sugar is high, so avoid. WHO Guidelines are for 6 teaspoons of sugar per day=24g sugar. I know that you will find the numbers truly shocking once you start to look as I did( a recovering sugar addict).

I eat a much better diet that is not weird or expensive, or antisocial to maintain. When I have over indulged(as I did yesterday) I eat less the next day. I feel better and no longer hide food or go out to get that chocolate fix, it is liberating and I am much much slimmer.

Evening all, quite a few of you fasting today, hope you’ve had a good day so far. I’ve not had chance to look in here today as been busy at kids school.
    Its not been a fast day and I’m currently sat here feeling really bloated and bleugh after eating one too many pancakes this evening. Actually looking forward to fasting again tomorrow.

Anyway I better go as one of the kids is unsettled.

Night al

Evening everyone! Had a lovely day of non-fasting. Went out for dinner with a friend to ASK and had the lasagne (apparently 788kcal) and 2 scoops of their gelato (270kcal) so overall pretty good choices all things considered!

Still undecided if I’m going to do a fast day tomorrow. I think I will decide when I get up in the morning.

Nearly the weekend! Then it’s half term for me!

Night all

Morning all. Thanks Tramcaur. Think I’ll give the 6 til 6 a try next time. Next fast is monday and find sunday evening a particularly bad time for over snacking so fasting from 6pm sounds a good idea. Glad you’ve not had to resort to eating the dog food! Looking forward to a none fast day today

Morning all,
    I had planned on doing an extra fast day today and I’ve not had anything as yet but dh is on his way home as theres been a serious accident on the motorway and he’d been stuck since 6.50am so he’s freezing and the road to work is still blocked (he works 1 1/2hr away) so he’s going to work from home.
    I’ll see how today goes but won’t beat myself up if I don’t do the full day, as I have done 2 fasts this week already.

How is everyone? Rach I think I’ll start mine at 6pm on Sunday night too.

I’m the same. Had planned to fast today but didn’t feel up to scratch first thing so had bacon and eggs. Won’t go mad for the rest of the day but have maintained the initial weight loss so want to continue. Monday is my next fast day and will stick to that.

Georgie, I think that sounds very sensible, hope you are feeling ok now..
    Hubby is home now so we’ll see how the day progresses, at the minute I’m clearing out food cupboards and wiping down , anything to keep out of his way whilst he’s working and keep me from sitting and eating!

Thanks Lizzie. I’m fine. Just have this permanent condition in my skull which flares up. I have been to the village and bought the local paper so if I find myself wandering to the fridge I can sit down and catch up on all the local scandal.

Found fast day yesterday a bit of a struggle, but managed to control myself and am really pleased that I can have a good feed for the next three days. I have been eating quite a bit under my TDEE, so perhaps that’s the reason.

Lizzie and Georgie, I don’t think I could even contemplate 4:3 until I’m much closer to target weight and 5:2 is really bedded in. I don’t feel confident that I’ve got it embedded yet.

Stir Frys are on my agenda as is fish.

Well done Joan on sticking with it yesterday.
    I’ve decided not to fast today as dh has suggested taking the kids out after school as he’s home and without that 1 1/2 commute home he thinks we should make the most of it.
    So I’ll be back to fasting on Monday too.

Don’t you love the flexibility of this WOE? I tried ADF with MWF being my fast days. It just didn’t click with me. But 2 days? Yes!
    I’m weighing after each DD. This week I lost 1/2# each day. Am happy with this as it feels real, like it is weight gone and not simple fluctuation.
    Have 2nd day of golf tourney today followed by dinner to celebrate winners. Glad it is an UD.
    Have a nice weekend everyone!

Thanks Lizzie. I had been suffering a bit from constipation until yesterday when I got out the Green Tea Jug. That really sorted things out and I was really chuffed to be 3lbs down this morning!

You’re going to have to help me here 2myhealth WOE? War on Eating? Way of Eating?

I’ve got the ADF – Alternate Daily Fasting

DD Dieting Day? UD Undieting Day?

Showing my age here. It’s like having to look up the textise in Catherine Bennett’s ‘Pages from Mrs Cameron’s Diary’ in the Guardian!

Oh sorry. Way of Eating. And Down Day (DD) and Up Day (UD).

3# is great! Congrats.

Well done Joan57!
    This is a very interesting site I’ve found, see link. Lots of good, sensible information that backs up Dr MM. I’ve copied it where it gives a research run down, but the other parts of the site are useful eg the descriptions of balance of fats, carbs, proteins etc. Useful info for a non fast day but also for balance on a fast.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-loss-time-to-stop-denying-the-science

I was also reading about some (hospital supported) water fasts and trials done in the States for hypertension, where they go on a water fast for 10 days. Very difficult for the first three days I gather and not to be done without medical support. However, I noticed that they were careful to have a lot of fruit and veg beforehand and after so the system was not too shocked. Interesting. I found them after reading the discussion on here about blod pressure, where a few people have had trouble with it going up rather than down on fast days.

I didn’t feel great after yesterday’s fast, though am recovering this afternoon. Had some dizziness this morning in spite of a good balanced breakfast. So I think instead of the one meal system I shall go back to two, a light breakfast and a larger evening meal. I may even slip over towards 600 cals. It’ll slow the loss but the system shock effects that trigger some of the benefits should still be there. And yes I drank plenty!

I didn’t fast in the end today either. My best friend from work goes on maternity leave today and she brought in cakes. I just couldn’t resist. The being said, I didn’t go mad and I ended the day having a light dinner. Weigh in tomorrow morning, hoping to see a loss!

A strange, for me, experience today, the day after Fast Day.
    I made a HUGE curry, a meal I could eat morning, noon and night, but this evening I could only eat half of it and the rest will go in the freezer for another day.
    For me to leave any meal unfinished is really odd. Something is changing, and for the better.
    Perhaps delicious meals in smaller portions is my future on the 5:2.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply.