The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight maintenance
The Maintenance Chatbox… come and share your success with us!

This topic contains 11,627 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  hermajtomomi 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 11,673 total)

• Happy, I have a (probably) very stupid question. What is LOACA?

Hi Bay,

I think the reason we Brits use French names for certain veggies, like courgettes and aubergines, is that until the mid to late 60s, we had never seen such things in the UK and didn’t have a name of our own for them, we adopted the French one.
    I found out about them when I was au pairing in the South of France and got to like them very quickly. But could they be found in London? No chance.

It’s not a problem any more. Pretty well every supermarket stocks them. We’re lucky in that we live in a very cosmopolitan area and there are many ethnic shops that sell them for less, even though the quality is better. You do see them spelt in some rather idiosyncratic ways, e.g. corjets.

The courgettes I first saw in France were round, shaped more or less like an onion, with very pretty markings. While the long ones have been here for ever, the round ones have only recently started to appear.

Hi Lichtle,

It stands for Ladies of a Certain Age. πŸ™‚

@lichtle, it’s Ladies Of A Certain Age (see this thread https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/help-all-ladies-of-a-certain-age-please-respond/)

Lol, says theperson who hasn’t been in either of these threads. Now I feel a bit silly for answering to this question. Sorry to impose, lovely ladies (of all ages).

Happy, if you get this twice, accept my apologies but I can’t seem to see my recent post to you. I just wanted to thank you for your post to Iwillbe which I wholeheartedly agree with. It is very difficult not to take these insults personally even though they were only made because the person did not know you. These posts are inevitable but the most important thing is that they are condemned by the forum users so that the victim feels supported. Well done Happy for not letting whoever was bullying/unkind to you take you away from the forum -that was not easy for you.

Oh, that makes sense – I feel a bit stupid now but hey ho we all occasionally have to reveal our total ignorance. ;-)) Thank you for prompt response Flemish.

Hi Hermaj (again!).
    I was so upset to see Iwi leaving that I hadn’t fully digested other posts before I responded. However, I see you are Spawn of Satan so, at least while I am here, this seems this seems a good thread for you! And I tell you this because of your knowledge of languages (and possibly proof reading), but I am also sinister…

[post removed]

@lichtle, it’s not ignorance. I just maneuver through the forum by always clicking ‘Recent Posts’ so I see the thread pop up a lot. They’re a very entertaining bunch, btw.

Lichtle, you should not feel stupid. There is no such thing as a stupid question if you do not know the answer. The only stupid thing is not to ask a question when you don’t already know the answer!

[post removed]

Thanks Hermaj,

I’ve been wanting to clear the air for a while, but there didn’t seem to be an opportunity before now.

This is the only thread I follow, but I do look at recent posts. The LOACA thread is I think the most popular so I have read quite a lot of (or in the case of very long posts, skimmed!) what has been said there. You entertained me there and I’m pleased you arrived here!

Hi Hermaj,

Yes, I’m left handed. But I think I prefer sinister!

Hi everyone greetings from country Oz. We had much needed rain during the week over a 48 hour period I had just over 240 ml or 11+inches.The first rain in over 3 months. Our dams where dry and now household tanks and the dams are full.Being on the coast I am lucky as vast areas of the inland are drought declared and some farmers have not seen rain in 3 years.

Hermaj, you ask of snakes, generally its a case of live and let live. A lot of country people have Carpet or Diamond python snakes living in their roof, me included, this is quite normal. They keep the vermin/rats down and are not poisonous. With my companions I don’t like to have bait around so the Joe Blakes (snakes) earn their keep. A few dogs are lost each year to snake bites. Around me the Redbelly black is often seen but is very shy and trys to hide but if corned will give a couple of false strikes warning you to back off.
    The most sensuous ballet I have ever seen is Redbellys mating slowly moving across the ground intertwined with half their bodies upright and twisting around supported by each other as they travelled. Quite beautiful. Eastern browns and Death adders are the nasty ones around here but in 26 years I have never seen either but have been told that they are here. I can’t recall the last time I read or heard of a person having been bitten. All snakes are a endangered and protected species so we are not supposed to kill them however………..

Tim.

Hi Happy

Just wanted to put in my two bob’s worth, 2/- for you Poms πŸ™‚

I ended up here along with you and Hermaj, and possibly others, because the atmosphere on the LOACA thread got a bit tense. I couldn’t understand what the fuss was about but concluded after a while that the kerfuffle spilled over to there from something taken offence at on this thread, when the person who was taking offence wasn’t anywhere near maintenance and probably not in the right ‘head space’ for the completely justified spirit of exultation and encouragement that exists here.

As I said before, I’m nowhere near maintenance either but wanted to stay in touch with other ladies I had ‘met’ there and was also a little fearful of putting my foot into whatever ‘it’ was. So here I am!

Despite still having lots of kg to lose I had a real eye-opener last night. OH and I went to see a performance of ‘The last confession’ starring the wonderful David Suchet. The audience demographic was definitely skewed to people our age and older and I was amazed at the proportion of grossly overweight people. The woman sitting next to me ‘flowed’ over to my seat and the armrest. I felt positively skinny in contrast. I commented to OH on the way home and he pointed out that because I still go to a paid job I don’t mix much with this age group. These people are ‘digging their graves with their knives and forks’!

Regarding snakes, Hermaj, as Tim says, people rarely get bitten as most of them hear us coming first and disappear. One time more than 40 years ago while working in the Kimberleys (far NW Australia) we had set up camp near a waterhole and were walking back and forth unloading the vehicle when I noticed a little rustle in some dead leaves at the base of a tree, only to discover a death adder there. We relocated him about a mile away as they’re ambush hunters and we didn’t want to risk stepping on him accidentally in the dark. I live in a semi-rural area and have never seen a snake in our yard, despite being surrounded by bushland. I once noticed over several days as I walked by on my way down to the chooks a slight rustle of leaves in the hedge near the gate, only to discover it was a big lizard.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Morning All,

Tim, you mention rain. I knew that the interior suffered with drought, but didn’t realise it was 3 years with no rain for some. How do farmers (and others) cope? You need water for crops and livestock.

Nicky. Interesting point about the demographic. My perception of the prevalence of obesity definitely changes depending on where I am! In seaside towns such as Blackpool and Morecambe, I feel positively underweight (although obviously not every one else is large). In the rural area where I live, very large people are very much the exception and I feel ‘normal’.

I’m meeting up with some friends and family this weekend, all of whom are very outdoorsy and lean. I’m looking forward to being part of the group this time without feeling selfconscious about my weight.

HappyNow. I really don’t know how Farmers/Graziers manage to stick it out. We seem to have good News/TV coverage of our rural sector and it can be distressing to see the footage. Just the other day our NSW Premier was in the North-West having a good look at the situation and seeing what help is needed. We got the rain they didn’t.
    A lot of cattle and sheep are put down as theres no rain, hence feed. A lot just scrape by and a few walk away from their properties. In the traditionally drier areas its mainly livestock with few crops. Nearly 20% of Queensland is under drought. Heres a link for more info : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-07/qld-drought–most-widespread-ever-recorded/5306044.

Not to start a heated subject but declare that I am a climate sceptic. Like the pun?

Cheers.
    Tim.

Sorry – I’ve come into this a bit late, but what’s a LOACA? Sounds like there was a bit of a spat back there, Happy Now, I hope that’s the end of it and you are feeling supported. This is after all a Support Page isn’t it? Hope everyone is feeling positive and happy today, whether or not it’s a fast day. I have only managed one fast day this week due to visitors but I am not going to beat myself up about it. It was nice to see them and life is for living! Have a good day, All.

Hi gang,
    I have no time to read all the missed posts while out of service area, but we experienced no rain from Sydney to Norseman WA. Thousands of miles across this dry continent.
    There are areas in SA, Happy, that were subdivided up and given to soldiers after WW1. It turned out they were useless to farm as small allotments and only had rain in some years and people had to just walk off the land. When you drive through the western Eyre Peninsular you see hundreds of abandoned stone farm houses…a bit like Skye in Scotland. Very, very sad. Much of this land was then swallowed up into enormous grazing properties. If your property is large enough you can allow cattle to roam until they find SOMETHING to eat or grow wheat and cross your fingers the frost/rain comes at the right time.

Mass clearing of land is another huge problem in SA, western NSW and WA. Rising salt destroys the soil as the trees operated as salt pumps. yes, Tim, man has been devastating this land for a long time. Time we did something!

Had better go and enjoy my time in the goldfields. We crossed the Nullarbor Plain today and got a signed certificate to prove it.
    Cheers MCs everywhere. P xx

First, thanks, Nicky, for your two bob’s worth. As you may have noticed, I can be naughty but the Spawn of Satan I ain’t.

Also many thanks to friends Down Under, including you and Tim, for trying to reassure me about snakes. I have to confess that it’s not the thought of getting bitten that scares me, it’s just the look of the creatures. It’s the shape of their heads, the slithery movement, the thought of touching, or being touched by one. And the idea of one of them in the roof…. Let’s change the subject.

Nicky, I’m a huge David Suchet fan – it sounds as though a lot more “huge” fans were enjoying the show, too :). Way back when the movie Ghandi had just won a raft of Academy Awards and Ben Kingsley was flavour of the month, I went to see the Royal Shakespeare Company’s production of Othello. BK’s Othello was fine and dandy, but who was the actor playing Iago who was so brilliantly acting him off the stage? OK, Iago’s a much better role than Othello, as bad-guy roles usually are, but his performance was extraordinary. The name was David Suchet who at that point was not yet famous. Not only is he a fine actor, he also does the occasional TV documentary, and always comes across as a charming presenter and interviewer and an all-round lovely guy.

As for the seriously obese. Even at my fattest I never overflowed an aircraft seat but on my very first Transatlantic flight from London to Boston, I had the misfortune to sit next to a woman, a pleasant enough person, whose huge bum took up a third of my seat. She also had terminal halitosis. As a result, I flew across the Pond at an angle of 45 degrees.

The bunch that Nicky and her other half shared the theatre with were of the older generation. What I find even more disturbing – and, in a nasty sort of way, comforting as I never, ever got to be that humungous – is the number of very fat, very young people in their teens and twenties who I see every day on our London streets.

No doubt, some of them may have medical problems, which is sad, but I suspect a large percentage (whoops, sorry about the unintentional pun) are sufferers from can’t-keep-the-hands-out-of-the-cookie-jar syndrome. There, but for the grace of the whoever arranges these things, go I. If, even pre-5:2, I had not been pretty careful about what I ate, although clearly not careful enough, I would have weighed 300 lbs and needed someone to push me around on wheels.

Hi Honjie,

LOACA is a reference to the Ladies of a certain age thread.

Things got a bit heated, and blown out of proportion, and there was a bit of fall out (some people thread hopped, some left the forum).

It was certainly an eye opener for me, this being my first experience of online forums.

Anyway, it’s done and dusted now and (not very!) ancient history. And we’re refocused on weight loss and maintenance.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the link. Interesting, but scary, stuff.

And even where there is water, transportation costs are prohibitive. That’s not something I’d considered.

In the UK, a lot of land owners are looking at turbines and solar PV for cheaper power. Is it the same in Australia?

No sadly Happy. Our new conservative govt wants to lower our renewable energy targets by effectively 40% and cut out all subsidies. They are in the control of the miners and are reversing all advancements Aust has made towards a cleaner future. We have become an international embarrassment. Apparently our grandchildren don’t count in the rush for a few to continue lining their pockets P πŸ™

Re size and demographics…we have older folk called grey nomads who travel around Australia for many months, avoiding winter, in their huge 4 wheel drives and massive caravans. Sweeping generalisation, but boy are many of them obese. We have been studying them at every rest stop on our trip. Would love to do some proselytizing!!!P

Like Bay,Hermaj, I’ve probably seen a dozen snakes in my life and I have lived on several farms. We always reckoned snakes are attracted by guns. If you have one you’ll see them. I don’t believe people should ever have guns,so no snakes! Now spiders and sharks. ..:) Cars are far more dangerous! !!P

Hi Happy, sorry to see it’s all kicked off again. Isn’t funny that certain characters re-emerge when the s**t hits the fan? I, as Spawn of Satan, am definitely on your “sinister” side. Sod ’em, I say. πŸ™‚

Hi Hermaj,

Hopefully everyone has said their piece now and we can move on again. Just sad that we lose valued members of the forum each time.

I’m going to miss Iwi’s evocative descriptions of the wilds of Scotland. I could almost see myself there. And not forgetting her mouth watering food…

Just entering into the obesity prevalence debate – I have noticed there are many more overweight, obese and morbidly obese here when I am in Canada. Maybe it’s just this city but I think it’s worse than in Adelaide where I live. The top four countries for overweight/obese people are Aus, UK, USA, Canada. Also noticed a high prevalence of smoking here and smoking in Aus is just about non existent now.

Cheers everyone.

Hi Happy

A lot of ordinary people are putting solar panels on their roof tops, facing North in our case. People make their own judgments about their own rising power costs vs using sun, despite government policy.

Also lots of people have installed rainwater tanks to use on their gardens, to survive the very frequent droughts. This doesn’t help farmers in the areas where it simply doesn’t rain.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Hi Elaine and Auriga, how are things with you ? I miss both of your contributions.

I promise we won’t descend on you in Greece, if you come back, Elaine. πŸ™‚ Bay

Hi Bay,

We’ve got solar pv on our roof. It’s really satisfying on any reasonably bright day to think we’re powering our own appliances, and are net exporters of electricity. And as we are on a private water supply, we know all about having to watch usage and water saving, so can sympathize!

Hi All,

It’s been a beautiful day here.

Quite tired and feeling a bit bloated and sluggish earlier though, not helped by making Welsh cakes. OK, the making isn’t the problem, it’s more eating the raw mixture… Don’t know why, but I’ve always really like raw cake mix/ pastry.

Anyway, OH forced me out for a run this evening (i can always find excuses!). It was hard, but the views of the Lake District fells and mountains were stunning. Makes me realise I’m pretty inconsequential, a mere speck in the universe, here and gone in the blink of an eye.

And now I feel invigorated and alive and happy! And I still can’t believe I’ve lost my excess weight and more! Will there come a day when I don’t wake up and marvel at the difference intermittent fasting has made to my life?

Morning MCs and I second Bay’s hello to our lost mates (A and E πŸ™ and to dear iwb too)
    Lovely day here, the rain has stopped so we will get in lots of sightseeing.
    Some things I have learnt while “on the wallaby” (track is understood but not spoken…an Aust expression meaning travelling), I have a real need to run these days, Happy. I can be seen sprinting through car parks when we stop anywhere. The old, obese, grey nomads look at me in amazement from their aluminium folding chairs! I feel really good after a sprint and am finding OH is starting to do it too …now that is EARTH SHATTERING!! He refers to his fitbit regularly and is very disappointed if he hasn’t made 10 000 steps in a day.
    I can still rustle up gourmet (pronounced “gor-met” as a joke) food anywhere. I already knew that, but I still love the challenge. Yesterday we set off early and stopped at a roadside picnic area in the middle of nowhere about 11am. I shook eggs up in a plastic container with some capsicum/chilli sauce. Make it into scrambled eggs on our little single gas burner, topped with smoked salmon, tinned champignons and parmesan. Delicious considering we had had to give up all our fresh veg and there had been no shop for a day and a half. Even the flies were enthusiastic!
    As Bay says, despite the govt attitude, Australians are covering their roofs in PV panels and wind farms are springing up along the length of the southern end of this huge island. We have solar pool heating on our house but have yet to manage PV as we live in an area of huge trees which provide fabulous cooling, but shadow the roof at varying times. We are trying to get the latest panels that operate independently so that when one is shadowed, the others will still operate. We have found the gear, but not a contractor with the brains to install it. It is SUCH an uphill battle to do the right thing here. OH is threatening to do it himself…we have a VERY high, VERY steep roof:(
    Lastly, hermaj, OH says it is vital he checks out another culturally significant practice here in the western goldfields….the old pubs have a tradition of scantily clad barmaids called “skimpies”. I will pass on his opinion! P πŸ™‚

PS Hey Happy…how GOOD is raw mix? That’s what caused me to be a cook in the beginning! P

No PVE. Raw mix is very bad! It is only very good if you have a Mum who empties the bowl leaving only very mean scraping. If however you have control of the whole bowl…. Yes, it’s meant to be a small flat cake!

In the bad old days, Happy, I used to make a larger mix intentionally so that I could nick some as I prepared it πŸ™

Further to my trip discoveries… I have found my arthritis has been really obvious this trip. We had had months of dry before we left. A week before the trip my hands started aching and it rained the next day. We had no rain all the way across Aust and no hand pain, yesterday my hands were hurting again as we headed into the rain over here. I guess I have to give up on my plan to live in Scotland. I’d have too much pain πŸ˜‰

Hi Carolannfud – pleased to note you’re in Adelaide too.

Thought I was alone on the forums from SA.

Well done on reaching maintenance – long way for me yet but I’m patient and determined because 5:2 is definitely the way of life for me.

Just wished I’d discovered it before I’d slipped so far down the slippery slope. 8 months and 8.2kg gone and far easier than any other eating plan I’ve tried.

Cheers, Nicky.

Well the need to do something about childhood obesity is headline news again. Apparently 1 in 3 of 2 – 15 year olds is overweight with 20% of 11 – 15 yr olds, and 10% of 2 – 10 yrs olds, obese.

A whole generation who are more likely to suffer from ill health and die before their parents, just from eating too much of the wrong food.

The experts identify fast food and fizzy drinks as a problem. The government still won’t tax sugar though. The profits of the food industry are more important than the health of future generations.

Happy fasting and maintaining!

Hi ,every one this months GI News from Sydney Uni has an interesting note on ” Keeping it off ”

http://ginews.blogspot.com.au/ and may be of interest to some.

Tim.

Thanks Tim, very interesting!

@tarkeeth, this is a very interesting article and confirmed my thoughts of last week when I decided that I should really focus on “maintaining” for a while. I did wonder if my body needed a bit of “getting used to” the current weight for a bit before it did more shifting.

The article says: “It’s a real achievement to lose 5% of your initial weight in whatever time it takes. If you do want to lose a bit more, take the pressure off for 3 months before you restrict calories again. This will give your body time to adjust to its new engine size. And it will give you practice in learning to listen to your body’s natural signals for feeling hungry and feeling full. An alternating weight loss/weight maintenance pattern like this will help you become a full-time weight maintainer.”

Whilst I did manage to reach my target weight last year with fasting (lost 15lbs), I could not sustain my new weight during the winter months when I felt very cold and had to give up fasting. By the end of May, after a naughty WEEK OF EXTENDED FAMILY HOLIDAY and a seven month fasting break I had put on around 7lbs and started fasting again. I managed to lose 5 pounds in a couple of months but now I am stuck with 2-3lbs off target weight. There could be a possibility that this is my healthy weight now and any more is “just not me” anymore and a pipe dream of younger years. This is why I am backing off a bit, however this time I don’t want to give up fasting altogether (easy at the moment as it is not too cold yet) but keep everything a bit more relaxed. This maintaining is all a matter accepting 5:2 as part of my future eating pattern.

Hi Lichtle

I am one of those impatient and enthusiastic in the uptake. When I decided that enough was enough with my body and health, I had never been on a formal diet or a weight loss program. I saw the Michael Mosley program and thought it would suit my health needs, and bought the book.

In three months using 5:2 and restricting simple carbohydrates, I lost 20% of my body weight. I have reduced my BP meds by one third. Staying with 5:2 (with the odd week of 6:1) I have not regained any weight over the next four months. I am not trying to lose more weight as my body signalled to me to give it a rest for now. This is only anecdotal, but I am supporting the gist of the program you watched.

I am smaller in size now than since I was in my early 40s. Am now 67. With 5:2 I lost three sizes in clothes, but more importantly changed shape. Lost mainly around the middle “apple zone”. I regard this as a very healthy and sustainable way of life. I will need to fast intermittently for life. πŸ™‚ Bay

Hi Lichtle

Agree that I felt much colder in Winter when fasting. I put on extra layers, plus had soup on standby.

One of the ways I fasted through Winter was to have ready a large pot of thin vegetable soup. I regard the soup as almost free calories and treat it like a drink. No potatoes or kumara (sweet potatoes), turnips, swedes or thickeners. My soups are usually green vegetables, celery, carrot, tomatoes, spring onions, leek, and lots of flavours such as ginger, chili or pepper, and salt. Parsley, herbs of your choice.

Cheers, B πŸ™‚

Hi Bayleafoz, 20% body weight loss is amazing and keeping it off is THE BEST. WELL DONE!!! This kind of news is of course very encouraging for every faster and very much needed by all of us.

It is hard work to lose weight so I really don’t want to undo my efforts again this winter and stick with a modified version of my weight loss regime. This regime is likely change from time to time as to not make life too boring. I will hang around here a bit more (if time permits) to be enthused by your success stories.

I am also one of those impatient and enthusiastic-in-the-uptake people and easily side tracked.

Yes bayleafoz, I too make lots of vegetable soups in the winter, They are my life saver!! My favourite is ginger and carrot soup with coconut milk (not always reduced fat). It is sometimes the only thing that can warm me up at work where we are lucky enough to have a microwave. On Sunday nights I empty the vegetable boxes in my fridge and use up all the vegetables (bar potatoes) to make soups for the week ahead which I freeze until needed. I think I have to start again – I am feeling a bit chilly right now.

Hi Lichtle
    Like Bay, I was impatient to return to a reasonable weight and, once I discovered 5:2 (the first diet I’d ever been on,)I did not let up until I was at my goal. I lost 31.76% of my bodyweight in 12 months. A lot initially, but always a steady move down. My OH lost 30% in the same time. We are both back to the weight we were in our early 30s (we are 63 and 64). We have been maintaining for 5 months now.
    It is winter here now and today was a fast day. We had eaten nothing since last night, but had lots of hot black coffee until dinner tonight. We even went grocery shopping as we are travelling.
    I made a veg stir of onion, leek, celery, capsicum, chilli, garlic, bok choy, carrot, zucchini, salmon and Shiritaki noodles(miracle/zero) and a small amount of pasata. Yummy and very warming. By saving all our calories until dinner we are able to eat enough to enjoy a good warm night’s sleep.
    I agree with Bay that veg soup is a great way to warm up if you get desperate in winter. Summer IS easier, but we started in a winter, so have now been through two winters.
    OH has cured his diabetes with this WOE and now realises he HAS to fast twice a week, walk at least 10000 steps every day and eat a lot of lean protein and veg to maintain. He is gluten intolerant so doesn’t eat wheat. P

Thanks, Happy Now, for the definition of LOACA! Sounds quite exotic really, when you say it as ‘Loaca’. As in, “We wandered around Loaca for a few days and found the most darling little beach side cafe” Or “I can now wear my loaca again since being on the 5:2”. OK, enough silliness. Only a couple of days without checking and the posts are far too many to reply to! This is a great site to renew our confidence, ask questions and get advice. Or just applaud each other from time to time! I do like the idea of a break, in order to get the body used to its new size and shape, but I think a gradual tapering off is better for me, say doing once a week for a few weeks, then being REALLY sensible for a week or so – bread once a day (if at all), pastries once a week (if at all) more alcohol-free days, that sort of thing. Then returning to the 5:2 won’t be such a shock!!! I haven’t been a big ‘snacker’ except when I was teaching and as any teacher will tell you, if you can grab a spare moment then it’s usually to grab a cookie or a slice of cake! I am so impressed with the amount of weight loss that people have been reporting. I can understand how difficult it must be for parents with young children, working mums and dads, people with partners who are either unsympathetic or just not doing the diet – I take my hat off to you all. I am retired and living on my own, no-one to boss me around or criticise my life style, I am very fortunate (although it hasn’t always been that way) so I say again, well done to all of you who have made such progress despite the difficulties of 2 days of fasting! You’re amazing.

Hi Happy,

I wish someone had put the word out about childhood obesity when I was a kid. It wasn’t about eating rubbish, it was a case of being fed good home cooking that might have fallen into the “healthy” category were it not for the ginormous portions. Example, lamb chump chops, you know, the great big ones. Two each, would you believe!! Plus huge piles of veggies. And puddings and pies. And of course, we had to think of the poor refugees and clear our plates and be grateful. I used to wish a few hungry refugees would come and help me out with the plate-clearing.

No wonder I was a little fatty four-eyes, addressed as “Fat Podge” by a less than kind father, who patently failed to see that he was also more than a little podgy himself. Part of the problem was that my parents’ generation saw having fat kids – and being fat oneself – was a sign of prosperity.

On leaving home at 20 I began to revise my eating pattern and then going to work in Mediterranean Diet country – South of France and later Spain, east coast and then the north-west – I revised it even further. Even so, it’s been a lifelong struggle – until 5:2. I’ve taken much of the weight off on many occasions, but this is the first time every that I’ve KEPT it off, that’s the clincher.

Fortunately, it doesn’t seem to have done too much lasting damage and so far, touch wood, I’ve never had a serious illness, although I can’t help thinking that my once-high BP, now down to normal, might have been the result of the mountains of salt my mother used in her cooking. According to the old man, if the food wasn’t heavily salted, it was tasteless.

Hi Purple, please can you explain raw mix and why it’s so evil? And thanks again for your wonderful accounts of Australia’s cultural history. I would love to read the findings of your hubby’s research into the western goldfields and the “skimpies” whose presence i the pubs no doubt comforted the miners after a hard day’s work. Am I right in thinking you guys are on a prolonged and wide ranging trip around Oz? I’m green with envy.

hermaj….are you using us as task avoidance again?
    Happy was discussing the joys of eating raw cake mix. I don’t think it’s evil,Happy does. She could be right, though, I guess;)
    We didn’t end up checking out the skimpies yesterday. But did find a great “all you can eat” pub in an old mining town. (Hence a very good fast today). We are doing a fairly fast sightseeing trip across the country as a totally unplanned last minute idea. It is an Aussie right of passage to cross the Nullarbor, so, why not? Today we were 2500km as the crow flies from home.
    The towns of the goldfields in the 1890s in WA had a mindboggling number of pubs. Many are virtual ghost towns now. Coolgardie, for example, held a world exhibition in 1899, had a large population and great wealth, when the gold failed they pulled down many of the buildings, leaving the main street that is wide enough to turn a camel train in and a few grand buildings.
    As to childhood eating. I was lucky. Had to eat everything, but was a naturally skinny kid and young woman. Only put on weight in more recent years. Thank goodness for 5:2 to rectify the excess. P

Somehow, Purple, I’m managing to juggle the two as the dissertation starts to take shape. On both the conversion course and the MA, I’ve so far found that the assignments I’ve had real fun working on have attracted the best marks. I’m loving this one, but then pigs might also fly.

You’re right, though. There will come a moment when I shall have to put the forum off limits. It’s all the fault of the great people who post on here and the fascinating stories they tell.

Ah, raw cake mix, tell me about it! I only occasionally make cakes, more often than not as our contribution when we visit friends or family, but when I do, guess who scrapes out the mixing bowl!

Your “all you can eat” pub reminds me of a song from childhood which I’m fairly sure was sung by an Australian. It was called “The Pub With No Beer”, and I know a lot of it by heart. You don’t get to hear it often, but it’s still funny.

Hi Purple Vegie Eater ALMOST 36%? Unbelievable…and to keep it off…congratulations!!! Great also to hear that your husband is on board. What a gift. My husband doesn’t want to know, even though he has the unhealthiest lifestyle πŸ™

@Honje, you are right tapering off or a modified milder version is probably the way to go, because once you stop it is a bit more effort to motivate yourself to start again. And I agree with you it is much easier when you don’t have to cook for other people. My children have left home and OH does most of the cooking – he is used to my down days and knows to just to cook for himself twice a week.

@Hermaj I had a mixed experience in my childhood. When staying with Granny (often) food equalled love – there were mostly three courses (including soup which I hated) all had to be eaten (plates finished). We were not even allowed to drink prior or during meal times because our appetite would be reduced. In the afternoon there was lots of hot chocolates with cakes to get through (not such a chore). At home with mum it was different, we had to empty our plates but she didn’t quite fill it to the brim and there was only one course. And mum did not bake. I have this nightmare vision of my childhood of me sitting on my own before a half eaten plate long after everybody has left and not allowed to get up until I had finished the by now cold food. I remember the gagging effect this produced. I never liked being overly full and was a thin child.

I have started to play little mind games to reduce my appetite in recent years. I play my parents and grand parents voices in my head urging me to “EAT UP OR YOU WON’T AMOUNT TO ANYTHING” and in an instant I don’t want to eat anymore πŸ˜‰ As soon as someone wants/forces me to eat anything I am done with it.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 11,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply.