HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 7,330 total)

• Thanks Tartan Lass! I think I will make Mondays my weigh in day then. I’m fasting today so keeping busy to take my mind off it. I’ve decided that on fasting days I am going to do all those horrible jobs that I never have time for like washing tiles in bathrooms, hoovering behind the couches and sorting out cupboards.

At least then I have doubles positives – losing weight AND a cleaner house lol. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Boo : How are you this morning? Did you have a nice week-end? Is the weight dropping off you still? I have had a shock with the takeaway I had last night so that’s the end of that!! To be honest, I’m really not keen on Chinese – the next morning it always leaves a taste in my mouth and I end up drinking gallons of water in the night. Probably better off making my own (and healthier too).

Hi Versy2010
    I agree with Tartan lass that daily weighing is traumatic. I can find fluctuations of 2kg(4lbs) if I weigh myself twice during a day. So I weigh myself first thing in the morning and only periodically. If you think about it, even two glasses of water can add a pound!
    I remind myself that this WOE is guilt-free. If you overeat then you advance the next fast day. You know what your TDEE is. If you go over one day then either do another fast day or eat less for a few days. It is great you have lost weight at all after such a sociable week. I am not alone to say that sociability makes this WOE difficult
    I have just celebrated my two months on this WOE, and I really feel good.
    I was just thinking that a 3500 calorie deficit is a pound of body fat lost. Body fat is a mixture of things including water. You can almost predict a real loss if you are counting calories to keep under the average TDEE and respect the fast day limits.
    Salut femme, I know that quick glance that says hey, I’m changing shape. Great you are back on track. My reaction to the events of a few weeks ago was to disappear. I removed all messages from my computer so as not to be derouted. My French ex said to me once why I did not consider liposuction. I knew at that moment it was finished with him. My new British model actually does the FD with me, and is so supportive.
    I am very pleased to be back in the fold.
    O and D KiwiWiwi XX

tangatawiwi – well thank god it’s not just me then! It happened last week too when the scales told me I had dropped 3 lb in one day and then they came back again. Yes, once a week for me from now on.

My kettlebell and DVD has just arrived and I can hardly lift it. I will end up like Arnold Scharzenegger (in his earlier days of course!!). V xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes of a “certain age”,51,have done the FD previously but really need to get my (large) behind in gear as I refuse to buy larger clothes and my BMI has calculated at 28!!!!!So today is first fast day & will also be gym day. Am feeling positive but have to lose two stone. Why did I let things slip sooo much????? Its not as if I’m not active,I’ve got two Springers,go to the gym three times a week,run twice a week,but prob fell into the “Oh I can eat more” trap. Enough already !!!! xx

versy2010

I’ve just bought a kettlebell and DVD too. I bought a beginners workout which starts with a tutorial section and I took a look at it this morning and before I’ve even started I’m wishing I had bought a lighter bell. I’m going to give it a go later in the week. Have you tried it before or is it a new type of exercise for you too?

Hi Amazon! We might have the same DVD. Mine is ultimate kettlebell workouts for beginners with the instructor being Paul Katami. I got an 8 kg bell and did some swings but I think I will take it easy and build up to a full workout. I had aerobics this morning and I’ve got another circuit training class tonight so don’t want to over do it. Never done this before. I was hoping to tidy up my arms a bit but this chap says most of the work comes from your legs and bum. I will do it about 3 or 4 times a week and see how I get on. Let me know how you get on.

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We have the same DVD!
    There is no way that swinging several kilos around won’t help tone up the arms. I think they emphasise using the legs and bum so that people do the exercise correctly. It could be really damaging for the back if not done properly. I am going to buy some sweatbands or equivalent before I start. Good luck and I’ll let you know in a week or so how I’m getting on and you can do the same 🙂

Amazon – oh sod it, lets get some leg warmers as well!!! Lol – Will have to shut the curtains in case the neighbours wonder what the hell I’m up to.

Getting bloomin hungry now – will have to fill up on fizzy water/tea until about 7pm when I can have my soup. Will go and take my doggies out in a minute then will hoover the car. Never have I been so productive ha ha V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi versy2010

Glad to see you are still around; I nearly wasn’t – again. I was trying to be a ’peace maker’ and quite literally ended up being villain of the piece – again!
    And I have to say I am heartily sick of it. I know you have learned a hard lesson versy and you probably won’t anyway but please don’t post anything like that on this thread.
    And after this I am just going to ‘look the other way’ like everyone else does…..

Thanks
    Booxx

Hello Ladies

How are you all doing? Better than me I hope; you know the ‘almost’ 2lbs in weight that came off in a chunk last week? Well on last Friday, my weighing day, it decided to come back on! 🙁
    Don’t know how or why because I hadn’t been ‘off’ my usual way of eating…so go figure……………

Anyway Hello and Welcome to lucylocket63 and Amazon

Good for you climbing back onto the FD wagon lucyclocket63; how did you do the first time? And how long were you on it? Always supposing that your weight loss is much greater and faster than mine; you could probably lose your 2 stones by Xmas. That‘s always a great motivator isn’t it? Getting into a nice, new smaller sized Xmas frock.

Hi versy2010 – I’m definitely with the others on the wisdom of just weighing once a week – the morning after the second fast day. All the fluctuations just cause you angst unnecessarily.

Hi wilbersnanna – You weren’t whinging at all; I was just putting things into perspective for you. I’m glad to hear that your jeans are much baggier than they used to be; I’m sorry I’m not in the frame of mind to give you a silly award for that. I think you will understand why.

Hi Simonne – how did it go with your hypnotic gastric band? Do come on and tell us how it is going?

A big Hello and how are you doing to some of our LOACA’s who we haven’t heard from for a bit:
    Jackie T, Tiger, Lizzypopbottle and Carragh.

And LUVTCOOK – I would love you to come back onto this thread; I’m sure I am not the only one to miss your thoughtful and intelligent contributions.

ONwards and Downwards Ladies
    Booxx

Hi Boo – I’m on my best behaviour – honest! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the welcome PreciousBooBoo.
    Yesterday went pretty well,had my breakfast,no lunch & went to the gym,(cardio & some floor work) slice of toast,baked beans & poached egg & “nice” coffee!
    I did the FD two years ago having seen the doc by Michael in August. I had gone to London to buy dress for wedding and was mortified to find I could only just squeeze into a 14 (admittedly Vivien Of Holloway dresses are vintage sizing so realistically a size 12).
    Of course after wedding lost all control & then Christmas came & I was still basking in the glow of having done the Chester marathon & eating as if I was still doing the miles lol
    But onwards & upwards!
    No breakfast today,will try to go till lunch.
    Just weighed my self and am now 10st 10 lbs,Was 10st 12 and a half yesterday!
    Lucy x

Hello Boo and all LOACA
    I’m just checking in having been away from email/internet for a few days. It’s been a roasting hot day here in Northumberland. I took my dog to the seaside town of Amble this morning. We had coffee at Spurelli’s ice cream parlour but we didn’t have ice cream! It was so hot I couldn’t sit for long. There was a comfortable air if I kept moving and that’s what Charlie likes!

I hope everyone on this thread is sticking in and seeing results or, if no visible results, not getting disheartened. The health benefits of IF far outweigh the weight loss side of things so you are doing your body huge favours by fasting regularly even if you hit a plateau.

After dropping from 4:3 to 5:2 I seem to have reached a yoyo stage where I put on a few pounds and then lose the same amount by the end of the second fasting day so it’s a net result. That sounds like maintenance!!! Looks like 5:2 is my WOL then. Mind you, I’ve only been doing 5:2 for a couple of weeks so it’s early days.

This thread is a bit quiet today. Hope everyone’s OK.

Lizzypb

Hi Lizzypb and all LOACA

Maintaining, dresses and zero noodles!

The last part of your post could have been mine. I “maintain” by doing 5:2, and I can put on 2lb then lose 2lbs! At least I’m staying the same weight.

Mind you I must admit to having a bit of a dress fettish at the moment, I checked my wardrobe and I have bought over 17 in the last year, well I’m making up for lost time as I could never find dresses I was happy in and that looked good on me.

Today I had some zero noodles for the first time, I had those made by Barenakedfoods, as seen on Dragons Den. I lovely light dinner for my FD, half a bag of zero noodles, 100g chicken and an Arrabbiata sauce, home made of course. I’ll eat the other half packet tomorrow.

Ali x

Hi Ali
    How strange that I too have been buying dresses but so far only two! I’ve always liked dresses but couldn’t wear them because of a miss match between bust and hips. Dresses either fitted on the bust and were loose at the hip or flattened my bust if they fitted at the hip. Just losing a few pounds (about 12lb give or take the fluctuation I mentioned in my previous post) has altered my shape so no more flattened boobs! Yip!
    Lizzypb

Bonjour all you LOACA:

Lizzypopbottle – just read one your posts from yesterday where you reminded those who might be verging on becoming disheartened to remember that we are not just doing the 5:2 FD to lose weight, but to improve our health. I was becoming disheartened as my weight hasn’t budged for some time; so many thanks to you.

I hope the UK is getting its ‘indian summer’, nothing like the sun to cheer us up – Burgundy is again very hot and set to continue for a while.

A bientot
    Femme x

Femme- I loved that you mentioned Indian summer…I thought that was just an Americanism, maybe I’ve had the wrong Indians in mind my whole life?

Hi Femme

I’m glad you took something positive from that post of mine. I’ve mentioned a few times the raft of health issues my late mother suffered from. Intermittent Fasting should help me to avoid diabetes, heart disease etc. (fingers crossed!) so that’s been my main motivation for this WOE.

We do seem to be enjoying an Indian summer at the moment. It was almost too hot yesterday! I’m not complaining though..

Lizzypb

Hi Piper,

I always assumed it referred to the country India but no, you are right. I’ve just googled ‘indian summer’ and it is an American term adopted by the Europeans…

Well here I am. A lady of a certain age just starting out on the 5-2 diet. I have a load of weight to loose…. any tips ?

Hi Whoosh (I can’t call you Granny!)

In Boo’s absence (temporary I’m sure) let me welcome you to the LOACA thread. We all have tips that work for us so trawling back through the forums is worth doing if you have several hours to spare! There’s a treasure trove of useful information on here!

For example, I don’t eat breakfast first thing on fasting days (on any day actually) and I wait as long as I can before eating to maximise the period without food. This helps switch on the body’s repair mode. I do have two small meals though because I do sport training some evenings and need a boost before I go out and find it difficult to get to sleep on an empty stomach when I get home.

Some forum members have breakfast in the morning then wait till the evening for their second meal. Others wait all day and have one meal in the evening.

You have to find what works best for you. Do work out your TDEE (calorie requirement on a normal day – there’s a calculator on this site) and have only a quarter of those calories on fasting days. It’s important to stick at or below your TDEE on ‘eating’ days. Don’t believe the reports that say you can eat like a horse on non-fasting days. It’s not true!

Best of luck and do keep popping back here with questions and to read the threads.

Boo: Did I cover everything?

Lizzypb

I forgot to say drink plenty throughout the day. Liquids fill you up for a while if you’re getting hungry. Don’t forget to count the milk in tea/coffee in your calorie allowance.

Distraction is the key to putting off eating. I read, walk the dog, watch TV, talk on the phone, do craft things etc. etc.

Lizzypb

Hi Lizzypb

Well done for welcoming Whoosh and let me add my welcome. You covered the ideals of the 5:2 very comprehensively.

My other tips are: to plan your fasting day meals, FD, on non fast days otherwise thinking of food can give you temptation; a food diary can help, I use My Fitness App on my iPad – it’s good as you can copy over meals you like; vary the meals so you don’t get bored with them; Google 5:2 recipes as there are many on the web (52recipes.co.uk, daily telegraph, Woman 5:2 App); look at our other thread where we have posted recipes for FD meals (links below); I drink sugar free flavoured fizzy water to keep hunger pangs at bay and if I need a snack I have crudités or a few whole almonds; for main meal on FDs eat plants and protein, try and avoid carbs. I eat a low GI diet which is slow release carbs.

Finally choose your FD and be ready to swap if it doesn’t fit into your normal routine, I tend to do my FDs back to back, but it’s up to you and do what works best for you.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-loaca-recipe-thread/#post-46567

http://www.52recipes.co.uk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9483381/52-diet-healthy-recipes-250-calories-or-less.html

If you want to add some mites about yourself in a your profile, click link top right of screen; we have ladies from the Southern Hemisphere and across the water in France who regularly post on this thread, truly an international thread!

As Boo says Onwards and Downwards, and Sideways for those maintaining.

Ali x x

Hi Grannywoosh
    Welcome to you from a FDer from France.
    You have been put in the picture by Ali and Fizzrpb.
    On a FD when you don’t know what to do with yourself as you are feeling hungry- can I recommend that this forum makes for informative and entertaining reading.
    I have been on the FD for 2 months now and I have lost nearly 8kg ( 17lbs), but still a lot to go. I have targeted 30 March 2015 to reach my BMI=27.
    Good luck and welcome.
    KiwiWiwi

Wow Ladies thank you for you response!!! Today is my second fasting day. I am going to look for apps on my phone. Drinking lemon water defiantly helps. I am at the moment eating porridge for breakfast and then salad and protein for my evening meal. It seems ok although I do have hunger pangs around mid afternoon. I am only on my second FD (see even getting the lingo now!!) so not doing so bad. Thank you all for your support Whoosh (I live by the sea and my grandson says it makes whooshing noises, so Grannywhoosh!)

Good luck Grannywhoosh!! I too am fasting today and my daughter has just sent me a text to say that we are baking loads of cakes tonight to raise money for MacMillan nurses. I will have to do it with sellotape over my mouth. Arrrrghhhhhh – this is torture!

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ps I am Versy because I used to have a Kawasaki motorbike and it was a Versys

Hi Whoosh

Love the explanation of your name, mine is just my first name, initial and year of birth. Nothing quite as exciting or memorable as yours! I’m back at school tomorrow so a good day for fasting, particularly as I do a lunch duty and get just a 15 minute break – perfect for my crudités and fizzy water. I enjoyed the zero noodles I hasd the other night with homemade Arrabbiata sauce.
    Ali x

Oh no! I’ve just lost what I was writing in my post!!! Can’t rewrite the whole thing. Just to say Welcome to whoosh and any other New girls, and that I, too, am on a FD today. I and my OH went to a garden centre which specializes in Dhalias to distract ourselves. The colours were amazing!! We indulged in a coffee while there and managed to resist the gorgeous looking home made scones. We went 18 hours before eating today, the longest yet. I’m doing a prawn stir fry later with shiratake noodles and we had stuffed Portobello mushrooms when we got home. Can’t decide whether or not to get on the scales in the morning, would be nice to come off my plateau!!! WN.

Hi everyone especially WN

I hope the scales give you good news once you jump on them, don’t forget to measure as well. I had hoped to fast tomorrow…but I’m a blood donor and it goes for neonatal packs, so those little babies come first and I MUST eat sensibly tomorrow. This will be 30th pint! Will just have to fast one day at the weekend and then back to my usual routine of fasting next week, not Tuesday as it’s my birthday and I’m making Millie style cookies. I’ll run around the playground to work it off.

Ali x

Hi Versy,

Just saw your post about cake baking. I’ve also been baking this week, but raw cake mix is my nemesis! I ate so much raw Welsh cake mix yesterday (rolling out, cooking in batches on a griddle) that I felt physically sick. You would have thought I might have learnt some self restraint by now.. but no! Hope you manage to avoid (too much!) temptation.

I’m 61 and started the diet on April 15, 2013 so I have just over 16 months done. In that time I’ve done 2 days a week for every week except 1 when I was on a short holiday. That week I missed 1 day of fasting. I lost all of the weight I wanted to lose within 3 months. I went from 145 to 125 and that’s where I want to stay. I can’t say I have an easy time of it but it has become a habit. I haven’t noticed any health benefits but I stick with it for the health benefits I can’t see but hope are there. On fast days I sometimes get headaches, often dizziness and weakness, and sometimes I’m short of breath and short tempered. My husband and I started at the same time and he’s still on the diet as well. He’s 64, his mood is happy and he feels great with never any of the downside I experience.

Hi girls, and welcome LittleBiddyDibDab-whoa, that is a mouthful! you lost your weight pretty fast. Sorry that you have some of the less pleasant side effects of fasting.

Tomorrow is my fastiversary- it’s probably already today for you. Also had a new low less than 60Kg! As I don’t count in Kg, I almost missed it. So the road is long and I make up new little mini goals to celebrate. I know it will take a while to make the new weight mine for real, but although the loss is slow, it keeps going down. And,no, Boo, not even close to two stone yet!

Ali-what are Millie style cookies? Girls, I’m so glad I don’t like cake!

Hiya Happy! Luckily, my daughter wanted to make the sweet stuff on her own. She decided on Nigella Lawson’s rocky road. Oh god all that melted chocolate, maltesers, marshmallows – well need I go on???

I promptly got my gear on and went to aerobics, then zumba and then a walk with the dog. By the time I got back the coast was clear. Not a bit of chocolate in sight. So survived my fast day with no hiccups. Off in the caravan this weekend with hubby – we’re off to Loch Lomond to do some canoeing and walking (but not at the same time!).

I need to be careful – normally in the caravan we have a bbq and wine. I will pick chicken over the sausages tonight (angel) and not have wine. I will have a couple of Bacardi/cokes but will count them! This is normally where I undo all my good work in the week. I will try not to be overly bad this w/e.

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Versy
    Going to Loch Lomond for the weekend. That sounds romantic. It’s a beautiful lake too, I visited it decades ago when I spent a year working in Ullapool.
    The only thing I could do which might have any link (through song) is to visit the Pont d’Avignon which is about 150km away. But I am not going to.
    Strangely and most unromantically, we tend to go to Avignon to visit Ikea. Sorry!

FD for me today and glad as I ate too many figs yesterday and i have a sore stomach.
    I am still on the 4:3 and will be until after Christmas.

Have a lovely day or night for those of you who are out of sync in hours.
    XXX KiwiWiwi

Hi LOACA. Well, I weighed just now. Still on the plateau, but my jeans are looser. Going on holiday end of next week so I intend to be really strict for a week so I have a bit of leeway. Onwards and downwards and sideways as Boo says!! WN.

And congratulations to AliH61 on your blood donations! I used to do it but am no longer allowed to after I had surgery with blood transfusions. My husband donates platelets regularly, and has done about 150 of those and normal units in total!! WN.

Hi there KiwiWiwi : Yes Loch Lomond is lovely and it’s only 45 mins from where I live. It’s funny how you don’t bother visiting some places that are right on your doorstep.

I was brought up in Liverpool and lived 1 mile away from Aintree racecourse and I have never been to one race!!!!

Well I guess it is dog walking time again…..

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Versy,

Well done on avoiding the Rocky road, and good luck for the weekend. 5:2 isn’t about deprivation, but mindfulness is good!

I’ve had regular holidays on the west coast (Oban down to Lochgilphead) and we always break the journey at Luss. We went canoeing in Scotland this year. Wow. Hadn’t realized my upper body was quite so feeble…! I’m sure the exercise will offset a few rum and cokes!

Hello everyone, can I join you? As someone who is ‘of a certain age’ I seem to fit the criteria!

Following a routine healthcheck at the surgery I was warned for the second time that I was bordering on the overweight, with a raised cholesterol level.

I started the 5:2 diet at the beginning of July, weighing in at 11 stones ( think this is 154 lbs). I want to get to 9.5 stones and then see how it feels, so quite a way to go. The FAST days are ok, and I try to keep busy. There have been a couple of occasions when I have failed, but as I am also being careful on non-Fast days, I don’t beat myself up too much about that.

The weight loss is slow. I am currently 146.8 – the lowest weigh in was 146.2 so it is frustrating not having yet reached the 145 mark. I seem stuck at this weight! However my trousers are loose and haven’t felt like this in years so some good is coming of the diet.

Good luck to everyone here, thanks for reading.

Bonjour to all LOACA and especially the newbies.

Having been ‘stuck’ for some weeks – although I did have a week at Lake Como and then another break when my grandson came to stay – finally I have dropped another lb. I don’t have particularly accurate scales that show 1/4oz readings, but they give me a general idea. Living the FD way I have come to the conclusion that the weight will come off ‘slowly’; on previous diets (too numerous to mention) I have expected a minimum of 2 lbs/week so when I started the FD way of eating I expected the same. My weight has fluctuated but in the long term I have lost 8 lbs to date, and I am enjoying the non-FD days and eating delicious food and the occasional treats – things that ‘normal’ diets deny us.

With regard to my health – I feel great – my only concern is my Hashimoto’s Disease (non-functioning thyroid) which is being monitored regularly. I go for a check-up/scan soon with my Endocrinologist and hope all is running as it should be now.

I’ve noticed over the weeks lots of discussion on reducing carbohydrates. This morning I was enjoying a grand creme in the cafe by the chateau and overheard a conversation between the cafe owner and a group of locals; they were discussing bread. When I heard the following “Ooh la la, we French cannot live a day without bread” I was very surprised, but have noticed there are always long queues at the boulangeries every morning. The French take their health very seriously and it made me wonder about their views here on reducing carbohydrates; I doubt giving up bread would even be contemplated. Bread is so important that there is a ‘law’ that a baguette cannot be sold for more than one euro as it is seen as a daily necessity – I buy a ‘flute’ once a week (it’s much larger than a baguette) which has a crispy crust and is soft inside and that costs only 85 cents; fortunately when sliced it freezes well so I don’t overindulge (well only occasionally!)

Enjoy the weekend,
    Femme x

Hi Lindylou

Welcome to the group and remember that 5:2 is a WOL, way of life, and the best way to reduce weight is to lose it slowly. Give yourself a pat on the back as choosing to do weight loss alone is a challenge, and you’ve done really well to date. Don’t beat yourself up that it has slowed down, and your trousers are telling you your measurements are reducing.

Ali x

Hi Lindylou
    I agree with Ali that slow weight loss is good for keeping it off but it can be disheartening when the scales don’t budge.

One of my friends was experiencing agonisingly slow weight loss on 5:2 It took a year to lose her first stone and it turned out that she hadn’t realised she couldn’t just eat 500 cals on fast days and 2000 on eating days. She is definitely not ‘the average woman’! She is only 4’10” tall and finally realised that on her fast days she shouldn’t exceed around 325 and eating days around 1300 cals! She changed to 4:3 at the same time as I started it (July this year) and sticks to the new calorie limits. Her weight loss has picked up accordingly and she is getting close to her target weight.

If you were only approaching overweight at 11 stone you must be around the same height as me i.e. about 5’6″? I’ve lost a stone in weight now doing 4:3 and I’ve dropped to 5:2. I started at 11st 3lb, BMI just over 25 (I was just inside the overweight zone) and am now hovering at 10st 4lb but the scales flashed 10st 3lb before settling on 4lb this morning! BMI is now just over 23. I’m definitely trying to stabilise now. At my age I think there’s a danger in getting too thin.

Anyway, here’s a suggestion, 4:3 is an option to kick start your weight loss if you’re not happy with how it’s going on 5:2, It certainly worked for me! Look at the Fast Beach Diet on the website. It’s only meant as a short term thing, six weeks, originally as a ‘bikini’ diet but it definitely speeds things up, or at least it did for my friend and me.

Lizzypb

Thanks for the input! Yes it has become clear as time has gone on that this diet is more a way of life, in particular portion sizes. When I look at how much rice, or pasta or potatoes I used in the past! And I suppose, although it seems like I have been on this diet for a long time, July to Sptmeber isn’t that long, and losing half a stone is good!

You are correct, Lizzypopbottle. I always thought I was 5’6 but discovered at the start of the diet that I am actually 5’4. And I place myself as ‘inactive’, even though I am on the go all day, every day. However I think I do need to add some exercise …I like to walk when time allows. Just wondering now though if I have the figures correct? I go by the 500 cals on Fast days, and about 1400 on non-fast. Does this sound about right? I should go back and look at that …

My husband started the diet with me, but he didn’t have much to lose and reached his target after several weeks. He now does it one day a week as he is intersted in the other health benefits, but I get very snappy with him on my Fast days!

Good luck all.

I like you am experiencing slow weight los, but it is showing in inches removed off my waist. So 4weeks in and 2kgs off, I am going to focus on my waist etc and keep going , hoping eventually more weight will go. Keep going, I know I am.

Lizzypopbottle, I have had a look at BMI/TDEE etc, putting in my new numbers. BMI is now 25.2, BMR 1227, TDEE 1472. If on FAST days we eat a quarter of our TDEE, does this mean just 368 cals for me on Fast Days? Sorry if I sound thick, perhaps I am, but I have been sticking diligently to 500 or thereabouts. Maybe this is why?

Margaret that is good going in just 4 weeks.I’ll keep going if you will!!

The 500 calories on fast days is based on a quarter of the amount the average women would need which is a TDEE of 2000. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1lb.
    The answer is to use more calories up and you have said yourself you need to add some exercise, which can be difficult to do when life is so busy, but I’m sure if you give it some thought you could find 45-60 minutes 3 or 4 times a week, or you could look at HIIT, high intensity interval training which is all about 15-20 minutes of hard work as often as you can. It seems an excellent way for those of us who are short of time to go.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hello LOACA new and not so new.
    Are you still there, Precious BooBoo? Missing you!
    When I read your posts and see that many of you are getting to the stage of only needing to lose a few pounds. You have done really well to get to that stage.
    I am reminded that I still have a BMI of over 30 and need to lose at least 30lbs more to get to the right weight.
    I am amazed how little one needs to eat. I eat 450 calories on fast days and about 1300 on non-fast days. But I am also plateauing still at present. My shape is changing and I have gone down at least one size in just over two months.
    But, like femme Anglaise , I feel wonderful and energetic and very hopeful.So if one plateaus from time to time, c’est normal.
    This FD has opened my mind to the science of nutrition.
    I hadn’t realised that anti-oxidents can protect the body from ageing.
    I knew it was good to drink red wine (especially Burgundy,Femme!), but I didn’t know why. We now take resveratrol tablets everyday.
    James Johnson in his book about Alternate day fasting explained a lot of things to me. Some of his research coincides with that of Michael Moseley.
    We’ve all been a bit quiet recently.
    Hope you are all going onward and downward.
    KiwiWiwi

Bonjour from a hot and sunny Burgundy (well there have to be some compensations for leaving Yorkshire where my heart belongs; the weather being one of them, although it can be freezing/snowy during January and February).

Welcome Grannywhoosh and Lucylocket63: how are your FD’s going? Like Lizzypopbottle I wait as long as possible on the FD’s before eating – usually around 4.30. As AliH62 does, I plan ahead, both FD’s and TDEE days; I check my fridge/freezer/pantry and plan a menu for the week ahead.

Also like AliH62 I love wearing dresses – but unlike Ali I have not bought a new one for years – I began to put the weight on two year’s ago (mainly due to my ‘defunct’ thyroid) and have some lovely dresses that I cannot wear; but I am determined to get back into them and refuse to buy a larger size. This is one of the main things that is spurring me on. I am going to a friend’s surprise 60th at the beginning of November in England, and really really want to be able to wear one of them then.

KiwiWiwi – what an amazing result – 17 lbs off in two months! I’ve been on a similar time and lost 10 lbs (I did have a week off at Lake Como and then again when my grandson was here, but no excuses). I remember that you were in Rome for quite a while so again WELL DONE! I’ve ‘only’ another 30 lbs to go; I’ll be 9 stone 7 lbs (60 kg), my BMI will then be 22.5 and my TDEE 1600 – can’t wait.

Just been to give a blood sample to check my thyroid levels, had a stroll round the market and a grand creme in my favourite cafe, and I’m looking forward to salmon for dinner. Tomorrow I’m off to see my petite fille, Chloe, and we’re going to bake Madeleines – a good excuse to indulge a little!

I hope everyone is well and feeling positive (including PreciousBooBoo who sadly seems to have left us).

A bientot,
    Femme x

Hi LOACA,
    How are you all doing?
    I have been away with our motorhome for a couple of days, very challenging food and booze wise, we were with friends and did a lot of eating out.
    But I am really very content how I handled it all.
    Thanks to the hypnosis no doubt.
    It is now 12 days ago and I have lost 1,5 kilo since. 🙂

My findings so far:
    I eat significantly less, I am “full” very quickly.
    The cravings are gone.
    I eat slower and chew longer.

I also notice, that there are things, which I did without giving it a second thought, I now no longer do, e.g. licking a knife or spoon, after stirring something.

I forget to put chips and nuts and other “bad” things on my shopping list, when we have a weekend together with friends.
    And trust me: that’s something I never forgot!
    I find it all very bizarre.
    I am very happy, but am sometimes stunned by myself.
    Some things are so differend!

I could always leave something and not eat it, but that was always very consciously.
    Now I can leave something without giving it a second thought, such as a bowl with pieces of cheese in a shop, or the peanuts and chips when having a glass of wine.
    And to me that is very strange.
    I am very pleased!

I also have changed my routine on a VD.
    In stead of eating something small every couple of hours, I wait until I really want to eat something.
    That may well be after 2.00 pm.
    I eat a little fatfree yoghurt and nothing else till diner, which is often a vegetable dish of some sort with some proteine thingy.
    I find it easier to not eat so many times per day.

I still have one more stone to loose, but I am really optimistic now.

Hi Simonne – well that’s bloomin marvellous well done! I am jealous. I’ve lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks but fingers crossed I will lose more by Monday (my weigh-in day). I was away in the caravan at the week-end and was very naughty!!!!!!!

v xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.