would a boiled mint sweet end the fast?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
would a boiled mint sweet end the fast?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Annametuka 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I am fairly new to IF and most of the time find it OK.

I tend to do the 36 hour principle, last main meal Sunday 6.30pm and next full meal breakfast on Tuesday 8.30am with only 500 Kcal on Monday night. Repeated from Tuesday night through to Thursday morning.

However, sometimes at work on a fast day I feel the need to ‘freshen up’ my mouth.

There lies my dilemma, I can’t bring my toothbrush etc in to work and mostly go for a boiled mint sweet – i.e a Murray mint / foxes glacier mint at what would normally be lunch time.

My question is: does this put an end to my fast period earlier than I think? It means that I’m ‘eating’ earlier than my main 500 Kcal meal in the evening?

What are your thoughts?

Hi tbe:

The only issue for 5:2 is how many calories the mint has. If you are staying under 500 cal. for your entire diet day, all is well with the 5:2 world. It does not matter when or how often you eat during your diet days as long as you follow the calorie guidelines: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/52-calorie-restriction-v-fasting-for-newbies/

Good Luck!

Thanks simcoeluv

I stay well within the 500 on a fast day. As long as it doesn’t have some kind of metabolic effect and “turn off” the fat burning.

Tbez

Hi tbez:

As the post points out, most diets, like SW, WW, Atkins, DASH and many others allow you to eat 6 or more times a day. Yet millions have lost fat weight following those diets. Your body does not go into ‘fat burning’ because of ‘fasting’, it goes into ‘fat burning’ whenever it suffers a calorie deficit and needs energy (from fat) to keep going. Eating only 500 cal. or less during a day (not a 24 hour period, which is totally different) more than gets the body to burn some fat regardless of when the calories are eaten. I posted research from Varady to that effect on the thread.

Good Luck!

Hi simcoeluv

I must have missed the link in your original reply.
    All now read and understood.
    Fingers crossed

Thanks

Hi simcoeluv,Is it o.k. to eat 600-650 cals on a fast-day, doing 3 fast dats a week, and eating upto my tdee?
    I find it much easier for me to do it this way.
    Started (fresh)last week
    I’m 65 years old,and have belly-fat.(168cm 73 kgs)
    What is your opinion?
    I have read your ‘guide for newbees’,and your answers to some questions here,in this excellent forum,and Iconsider you ‘an expert’ 😊
    Thank you .

Hi Anna and welcome:

If you eat 600-650 cal. three times a week and your TDEE or less the other four you most certainly will lose weight. And if it is easier for you to do it that way then you will have a better chance of continuing the pattern and being successful over time.

Good Luck!

Thank you Simcoeluv. Thank you very much for your knowledge and your willingness to share it with us here. This is really a gerat forum.☘️

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.