Why intermittent fasting is so effective for reversing insulin resistance

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Why intermittent fasting is so effective for reversing insulin resistance

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Excerpt from an article:

Research shows that chronic overeating places stress on the endoplasmic reticulum (ER)—the membranous network found inside the mitochondria of your cells. And when the ER receives more nutrients than it can process, it signals the cell to dampen the sensitivity of the insulin receptors on the surface of the cell.

Thus continuously eating more than your body really needs promotes insulin resistance by the mere fact that your cells are stressed by the work placed on them by the excess nutrients. This also helps explain why intermittent fasting (as well as other forms of calorie restriction) is so effective for reversing insulin resistance and increasing longevity.

Once your insulin resistance worsens, the concentration of glucose in your blood begins to rise, and elevated glucose contributes to the development of diabetes.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2099/12/31/cancer-insulin-resistance-heart-disease.aspx?e_cid=20150727Z2_DNL_art_1&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20150727Z2&et_cid=DM80792&et_rid=1050470731

Hi there,
    The article you’ve posted is very interesting! I was wondering if you’ve come across any research on IF and reversing pre-diabetes or even the early stages of type 2 diabetes?

I may be pre-diabetic (even though I am of a perfectly healthy weight for my hight) due to a genetic hormone imbalance (PCOS) that I didn’t know I had until last week. At this stage I know I’m insulin resistant and things might in fact be worse than that but I don’t know my test results yet.

I’ve started exercising and am using portion control and low GI already. I’m considering doing IF as well but am not sure if it is safe for someone like me.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Helene

Hi Helene and welcome:

Information on Type 2 and fasting is scattered all over this site. Here is one of many threads: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/reversing-type-2-diabetes-the-fastday-lifestyle/

You might also google ‘Jason Fung’. Dr. Fung is reversing Type 2 in his patients with fasting and HFLC eating, and has several videos on utube describing how it works.

Good Luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.