Wedding in Summer 2017

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Wedding in Summer 2017

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  PenguinGirl 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

• I discovered 5:2 last year as a possible solution to some terrible gut issues I’d been experiencing. Amazingly enough, just a few weeks into fasting, a lot of those negative symptoms went away! I continued this way of life for several months, during which I also lost a reasonable amount of weight without much effort. It was life changing to find a “diet” that didn’t completely derail my personal life or leave me feeling drained and resentful, especially because I was a professional athlete in a past life and had only ever associated heavy training and brutal dietary regimes with weight management and fitness.

I stopped fasting last summer while undergoing surgery, and have had the hardest time getting back on the horse ever since… I gained back a lot of what I’d previously lost, and a lot of my gut issues have returned. However!!! I am committed to making a change now. This is my first post to the forum, and I’m excited about many more!

I’m getting married in July 2017 (!!) which is looming ever-closer each day, and I would love to be in the best physical and bodily health of my life (not to mention my dress barely fits because it was fitted before my weight gain)! I’ve signed up for my first triathlon (end of April), and today is my first fast day post-surgery. My goal is to lose 10lbs in the next 20 weeks, to complete my triathlon, and to hopefully get to the bottom of my gut issues!

These forums were an amazing inspiration and support to me during my previous stretch of 5:2, and I thought I’d post in case there are any other brides, grooms, bridesmaids, groomsmen, mothers-of-the-bride, etc. who would like to join me in this journey, or who might draw strength knowing we are not alone! If nothing else, I thought creating this thread to document the next 4+ months would be good motivation for me to keep fasting and prioritizing my health! I’ll plan on reporting back at least on a weekly basis with what I hope are positive changes. At this moment, I am making a commitment to myself and a bright, healthy future ahead!!

Hi PenguinGirl, happy to join you on this thread as I am a soon to be wife in June! Ive started and stopped with this woe over the last year but really need to get focused now. How did your first fast go? FD for me today and ended on 530. Happy with that. Im hoping to lose 14lb by my wedding. How about you?

PG, welcome! It seems like you are biting off quite a bit to chew! Training for a triathlon, getting your diet under control and getting married! Wow! As for your gut issues they are often from food sensitivities. After I had Cyrex testing done and eliminated the foods that are inflammatory for me I sleep better, have much less joint pain and lots of energy. High doses of fish oil and glutamine helped with healing my gut too.

Perhaps you can find a less stressful and more time efficient way to get in good shape before you get married? HIIT training with sprints and or spin bike and weight training can do in a fraction of the time. Then after you tie the knot you can budget the time for triathlon’s?

@pg

I hope that you will reach your goals. I started the 5:2 last year in Jan 2016 as my wedding was in August 2016 and I needed to lose a LOT of weight. Going dress shopping is what prompted me to get losing the fat and feel confident in my dress. I lost a total of 23Kgs from Jan-August and felt so good knowing that in the photos I wasn’t going to look awful. It then really became a way of life for me, as throughout my journey I learnt so much about food and what to eat and avoid and I am continuing with it until I get to my target weight of 54Kg. There are so many benefits for this diet.

I am respectful to you for doing a triathlon. All I would think to say on that would be that you will need to gain quiet a lot of energy from food for training and so you need to come up with a diet that will both be suitable for the training and the weight-loss. I wasn’t doing any exercise other than walking and Yoga…

Sending you all the best wishes on your journey and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! πŸ™‚

Hi all and thank you to PenguinGirl for starting this thread. I am also getting married in July! And I am starting 5:2 for the first time, today. I’m in my fifties, and have always been reasonably fit, but recently dreaded middle age has struck, plus a sedentary lifestyle, and lots of weight has crept on. I’m also aware that this is exactly the time of life I need to start thinking about my health as an investment for the future, so I’ve decided to try to lose a lot of weight over time (currently I’m 11st 7lbs and I’m aiming to lose at least 2 stone, because I’m quite small). So I’d love to join in here to support you and keep myself motivated. It’s a wonderful reason, being inspired to start because I have finally found my life partner… (second time round) and I wish you all every success on your own journey, too.

@lisaj2016, my first fast day was a little painful, but I made it! Well done on finishing at 530 πŸ™‚ it’s a tough thing to do, but I woke up the next morning feeling so accomplished and hopefully you felt the same. We can do this! Time to buckle down and focus, just as you said. I’m hoping to lose about 10 pounds.

@diverdog, Thank you for your reply! I have done allergy testing but everything appears to look alright. I’ve also done some food sensitivity testing through an elimination diet to no avail. However, I’m getting another allergy test done next week and I’m hoping it’ll be conclusive! The triathlon is a little ambitious, but I’m doing it with my good friend and it isn’t a very long one. It’s the running that’s hardest for me, so my training mostly consists of short runs. My plan is to do a run on the days I’m not fasting!

@yirrakurl, thank you and congratulations to you! Dress shopping certainly is a magical and emotional experience :). What an amazing amount of weight loss you had! It’s really inspiring to hear, and I’m glad you’re continuing in this way of life.

@emmahope – Yay! Congratulations to you, and welcome. Best wishes with your first fast day! I’m remembering back to when I did 5:2 for the first time, and I think the first couple weeks were the hardest. But you won’t regret sticking with it! I like drinking water with lemon in it (that usually helps tide me over) and I journal during my fast days at various points, usually to distract myself from the hunger or food. What’s also nice about journaling is you can always go back to read old entries and draw strength from the fact that despite the struggle, you did it! This really is a wonderful season πŸ™‚ and I’m excited to join you for part of it!

Thank you all for your support, and I’m looking forward to sharing what will hopefully be a positive update early next week!

Thanks PenguinGirl! First day done, felt quite spaced out but it was quite a nice feeling πŸ™‚

@emmahope, well done! It’s always such a rush to get through a fast day.

Yesterday was another fast day for me, and it was much easier than the previous two last week. I don’t know if it is because I am coming off a weekend of heavier eating, or because I’m adjusting to this eating pattern again. Either way, I won’t complain!

In this last week, I’ve dropped 1 lb, which feels amazing!! I know it’s not huge, but my goal isn’t to be losing multiple pounds a week. During the last handful of days I was also very free about what I ate on my non-fast days, and I didn’t get any workouts in. So I’m happy there was a loss! I’m nervous about this week, because it feels like it’s easy to lose water at the start of any new diet. Regardless, onward we go!!! This week I would like to be more mindful about my non-fast days, and get in a few good runs on those days as well. Only ~four months until the wedding…

Hello to all and thank you, PenguinGirl, for starting this thread. I’m also anticipating a July wedding, so yay for us! I started 5:2 two weeks ago, my first time ever attempting a ‘fast diet’ like this. My future sister-in-law and her husband had great success doing 5:2 a year ago and have kept the weight off, and I liked what I heard on Michael Mosley’s BBC documentary, so I am hopeful. Previously I had success with a ketogenic diet, but the weight loss was temporary and I found it too hard to maintain with my lifestyle – the 5:2 seems much more easy to incorporate into daily life, working around travel, kids’ schedules and social events. Today is a FD for me…feeling a bit spacey but determined to hold off eating any food until dinner tonight (all 500 cals at once). Appreciate your tips as I begin this new experience and journey along with you!! Cheers!

Congratulations, @gr8scot! And I love the username!!

I think one of the most attractive things about 5:2 (and there are many wonderful things about it) is that it is just a couple days a week, as you said. It makes it feel more sustainable. You can do it!! I wish you all the strength and determination in the world on this fast day of yours. I’ll be doing one tomorrow!

As for advice, I’ll echo a lot of what’s been shared through these threads — drink lots of water! I love lemon water in particular, it makes the water taste fresh and I end up drinking more of it. Whenever you feel yourself starting to space out, just drink another glass, and that usually helps with hunger pangs and even my attention!

One other thing I’ll say is that it’s particularly important to eat your TDEE (the amount of calories you need to sustain yourself in a day) between fast days, especially if there is only one non-fast day between your fasts. This helps me get through the second fast (which always feels a little harder) and more importantly, it helps me sleep better that second fast night. I know plenty of people who do back to back fasting, and if you can muster that, all the more power to you! But for me, I like to space those days out during the week, and sleep is particularly important to me. πŸ™‚

Stick with this!! It is hard during fasts, and it is still important to be mindful on non-fast days, but slow and steady progress will be made!

Thanks, PG, re the username! I’m in the States, so it’s a play on the expression (which I’ll exclaim when I have success with 5:2!!) and a nod to my great love for Scotland, my ancestral home. πŸ™‚

Maybe I’m turning a corner with 5:2, as today is my 2nd FD this week and I’m feeling surprisingly sharp and energetic, although I am looking forward to my dinner in a couple hours! (Chicago time zone)

Definitely…drinking lots of water helps and I also love adding fruit, especially lemon. Eating a more filling dinner last night helped sustain me today, too, and I think it will help me sleep better tonight, as will going to bed earlier. I plan to space out my FD by one or two days, typically Mon/Weds or Mon/Thurs to recover from and prepare for the weekends which tend to include more social eating and less control over meals.

Also helpful that we just started the season of Lent…I am taking this on and am committed through Easter, although I am hopeful this ‘diet’ will become a WOL, for both me and my July bridegroom! Appreciate the tips and cheers along the way!!

@gr8scot – I’m also in the States, and really love the reference ;). Looking forward to exclaiming together!

How has your week been? It’s awesome to hear you may be turning a corner with 5:2! Happy Lent, and I hope it’s a successful journey to then, and thereafter.

This has been such a crazy week. Today is a fast day, and the only one I’ve been able to manage (although I’ve managed food intake carefully across the days). I weigh-in again tomorrow, and am hoping for a little loss!

Hello and TGIF! No loss for me this morning…in fact, my weight remained the same (to the tenth of a pound…grrr!) from a week ago. Hmmm…wonder why my body is holding onto this? I just started reading a book, The Obesity Code. Any of you read that? By Dr. Jason Fung. I came across him while watching YouTube videos of Michael Mosley and related 5:2 topics. I’m planning a very healthy Saturday – starting with a veggie omelet and making some soup from scratch to enjoy tomorrow evening. It’s going to be freezing here, so I’m staying home all day…partially to keep warm, and also to begin readying my condo for my fiance and his two teenage children to move in with me at the end of the month. And make notes of more wedding plans. It’ll be small and simple, but there’s still so much to think about ahead of time. And – a good yoga workout to relieve some soreness from trying curling last weekend – so fun, but man does that use muscles that don’t get worked too often. So…healthy cooking and some healthy activity. Cheers!

Hey @gr8scot!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I’ve been traveling for work.

I’m sorry no weight loss last week! How was this week for you?

The traveling this last week really killed me, so no loss (actually gained a little), but I’m going to also have a healthy weekend coming up and I’m beginning to get back into training mode!

I haven’t ready that book, but I’ve heard of it. Let me know how it is!

Hi Everyone – thanks for starting this @penguingirl. I’m getting married in July too in beautiful Wales. Seems so close now! I have long experience of the fast diet now. It really helped me get healthy after a hysterectomy, but gradually put weight back on. Anyway in January I decided I HAD to get fit for the wedding. So, I took up running with my 16 year old daughter (bridesmaid) having never run before (at least not since disasters at school!). We used the couch to 5K app, which is great. We reached our 5k goal last week. Never thought I’d run for half an hour 😊 so feeling great about that. Also started circuit training once a week. The fasting has been going pretty well, though I discovered that in order to lose weight I have to fast on a 3:4 pattern (so I fast 4 days). 5.2 is great for maintaining my weight, but I don’t lose on it. Maybe it’s because I’m small – only 5.2 foot. I’ve lost 1.2 stone since January, so half way to my target. Another 1.2 stone to go. I’m curious to know whether anyone else fasts for more than 2 days actually. Or are there any other variations out there? Good luck to all my fellow 2017 brides!

Thank you for posting, @hazelsound! We are getting very close now… Scary and exciting!

Congratulations on your 5k πŸ™‚ What a wonderful goal. I read some literature about how the 5k is actually the optimal distance for the body.

How is it fasting for 4 days a week? I feel like that would be very difficult for me… I’m 5.3 foot. But one of the variations I do is to eat on a 16:8 pattern for a couple days a week (either in addition to my regular fast days or in the place of). It doesn’t really lend itself to weight loss the same way as a true fast day (it’s all about calories in, calories out, and not eating for a 16 hour window doesn’t necessarily restrict calories). But I feel a lot of the positive effects of fasting besides weight loss on those 16:8 days. The other benefit of it is that I do have to refrain from snacking for a handful of dangerous morning hours! I think the 16:8 additions are nice, and I’ll probably continue them at least during the next few weeks as I really ramp up training for my triathlon (it is at the end of this month!!!). After that, I’ll go back to sticking to a strict 5:2 or 4:3 (fasting three days a week if I can… crunch time).

As for a weight update — I have been trying not to weight myself as frequently… I will have another weigh in in two weeks. Fingers crossed that scales move! I’ve been feeling stronger lately, but that doesn’t necessarily mean fat has been lost ;).

How has all the weight loss been going for people? I am sad to report I haven’t lost any :(. To be fair, I haven’t been following the 5:2 as closely as I did last spring… As people have said before – it’s hard to train and fast at the same time. The good news is my triathlon is in 11 days!! So soon I can have it behind me, and focus wholeheartedly on the weight loss, rather than the fitness. I’m looking forward to it! Not to mention training is painful and I think I’m ready to be done with it, and back to enjoying my yoga and HIIT workouts.

Hi @penguingirl – your triathlon work sounds amazing. I’ve always thought that if I could ever run I might do a triathlon, as I love cycling and swimming (used to race when I was younger) – and now that I seem to be running, perhaps I should take it up??? Wishing you the best of luck after all this hard work. I’m guessing that your flatline on the 5:2 is just to do with your muscle building. That’s what I’ve been telling myself as I just stalled at the same weight for about 3 weeks! At least we’ll be fit brides if nothing else 😊 Finally, though since last week I have started to shift a little bit more – only 1 lb a week, but that works best anyway in terms of staying off. Wish I had the control not to weigh so often, but I do find the once a week check quite motivational. I actually find that the 3:4 pattern works for me quite well. It means that if (when!) I do go over the 500 a day, it has space to spread over the 4 fast days. Also, when I’m on non-fast days I’m less inclined to be majorly unhealthy because my body is in a happy rhythm (most of the time 😁). How does the 16:8 day work? Im not familiar with that – sounds as though it works for you though.

So -I plucked up courage to go try on a wedding dress over the Easter break. I went with my daughter (16 and bridesmaid) and she was sooooo lovely. I found it hard to start with as I had to try tiny samples (never been good at looking in mirror for too long), which felt horrible…but then the dress I’d gone in to see anyway was a (fairly) good fit in the sample size. If I could just shift a bit more on my bust (it always goes on there) I’ll be happy. Daughter said lovely things – and she’s brutally honest, so the best person to go with! I’d been putting it off for as long as possible, but knowing I have a dress waiting for me is making me even more determined. Do any of you have dresses yet?

Good luck to you all 🌼🌻🌼

@hazelsound, congratulations on trying on dresses! It sounds like the experience was a good one, and that you were able to find some that you like! I did find my dress this past fall, although I’ve put on a little weight since then, so now I need to focus on getting down a little!

If you and your daughter have been running, you could definitely try a short triathlon sometime. It’s a great goal to work toward, and lots of fun (especially in nice weather).

I may try your 3:4 pattern after my triathlon! You’re right πŸ˜‰ I’m sure there is muscle being put on, but part of the challenge I’ve found with doing long cardio workouts is I get a lot hungrier than I typically would, and end up eating more than I’ve burned (even after working out a couple hours). But the end is in sight! And I’ll be really focused on food-in after next week. 16:8 is basically restricting your eating to an 8-hour window. I wouldn’t say it results in great weight loss, since losing weight is all about numbers, and 16:8 doesn’t restrict calories at all so it doesn’t show fast results. But what it has been good for is curbing my snacking habits.

If you like distance running for the sport, go for it. It is a good thing to do for aerobic conditioning but not very effective for losing fat and it is actually catabolic IE it breaks down muscle tissue so you will not build muscle but actually lose it.

There is a reason that most marathoners look like walking cadavers and sprinters look like gods.

@diverdog – You’re certainly correct that long distance running does break down some muscle tissue, but that’s only an issue if all you’re doing is running! I usually alternate cardio and strength training days, so I feel like the cardio has been particularly effective in burning my excess fat, while not taking away from tone.

Happy to report I’m down a pound this week! πŸ™‚ Less than three months now…

The weekend was decadent, but so lovely. I was reminded again of how important health is, and how nice it is to have friendship and accountability in my life! My bridal shower was the other day, and it was beautiful and so much fun (complete with lots of sweet treats). It was the first time having refined sugar in over a week, but it was so worth it! It’s back to the grind now, and I’m more focused and motivated than ever to keep going.

A dear friend of mine isn’t on the fast diet, but she is very health-conscious, and we’ve begun messaging each other every day to share food victories and struggles. It is a nice way to end the day, or a nice thing to have someone to message when I’m tempted to reach for treats! I was thinking many of these threads serve the same purpose, and I am grateful there are people who are journeying at the same time! Here’s to another strong week!! Depending on how the next three weeks go, I will schedule my final dress fitting for the end of May…

Just over two months until the wedding… Can’t believe it!! I’m excited to report I finished my triathlon strong, and had a really amazing time. I’m still a little sore from it, but I am starting back with my HIIT workouts today, and fasting. As is usually the case, fasting is difficult after pausing (even if it’s just pausing for one week). Trying not to feel frustrated! Part of me wants to just give it up, but I know it’ll feel so worth it in eight weeks. I’m proud of myself for passing on cake in my work place the other day (that’s a huge win for me), and I’m hoping to stay strong even on my non-fast days!

No weight loss this week (yet), but I’m hoping by Friday (when I usually weigh-in) I’ll have some good news to report.

Hi @penguingirl – sorry for delayed reply….hectic couple of weeks at work. CONGRATULATIONS on the triathlon success. It’s a brilliant achievement and I’m sure it will make you feel great about the wedding and putting on that dress. I bet you’re looking great regardless of the weight on the scales – I think the scales can be unsettling and misleading, when you know that you are fit and feeling good. That’s what I try to tell myself anyway!

The fast diet is going slowly for me too, but just checked today and another pound has whittled away – a relief as I had to drop exercise and fasting while I was on a work trip last week. I really value being able to share little triumphs (and setbacks) on here too, as we’re all in the same boat.
    Like you I’m determined to stay focussed now as I want to do my lovely dress justice. Looks like we’re going for a dress fitting at around the same time. As you say, it’s making me more determined to stay healthy and fit. I really want to keep this up after the wedding too, as I feel so much better when I’m running and training.

I hope your scales have made you smile since you last updated – good luck.

Less than two months to go – yikes!!!!!

Way to go, @hazelsound! A pound is a really solid amount for a week πŸ™‚ My friend sent me a photo the other day of what one pound of human fat looks like — if you need some inspiration for passing on that extra cookie, look it up online haha!! It’s quite grotesque, but also super motivating at the same time! To have lost one pound means to have lost that enormous mound. It might be a small looking number, but it represents something so huge! In more ways than one.

I lost almost a pound last week, which is encouraging. I’m having trouble today πŸ™ Was going to fast and then it just didn’t happen. Tomorrow is another day! My goal now is to just keep track of everything I’m eating and stay as clean as I can. It’s a dreary day here, and I’m tired after a stressful weekend of wedding planning and moving. Hoping the week looks up as it wears on.

Hi @penguingirl – aww, it sounds as though you need a Monday hug! So here’s a hug…or a head massageπŸ’† (best icon I could find) πŸ˜‰

I’m actually suffering from notenoughtime stress at the moment. Work is absolutely crazy, my daughter’s in exam melt-down (which of course I’m doing my best to pick up) and it just feels as though there will never be enough time to get the wedding sorted. Running definitely helps with the stress and hopefully it will help to drop a few more of those pesky pounds. Thanks for the motivating suggestion – anything that helps is a good thing!

Keep at it and don’t be too hard on yourself.

Hi @penguingirl – I thought I’d just check in with only a month (slightly less – eek) to go until the wedding. When is your big day? Mine is on 8th July. I think most major things are sorted now, but still lots to do.

As for fasting & running, I’ve been pretty determined and have been losing steadily (though a bit too slowly for my liking!). I’ve now lost 1 stone 10 lb in total (wow – 24 lbs doesn’t sound too shabby now I see it written here). 6ib to target, which I won’t get to by wedding…but I’m ok with that. My dress looks great, so probably shouldn’t lose much more now. When I get to target I’ll move back to 5:2 (not 3:4) to maintain weight and stay healthy.

How is everyone else doing? Looking forward to weddings I hope.

πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

Hi all!

I’m so sorry I disappeared the last several months. Things got a little crazy and dramatic during the weeks leading into the wedding, and then I’ve been moving and traveling the last month! But I have lots to catch people up on, and I hope every one of you has been doing well this summer.

@hazelsound — I know what you mean by “notenoughtime” stress :). I was under it pretty bad with only a few weeks to the wedding! Somehow, I lost a lot of weight in those three weeks. I was doing a VERY strict 4:3 (fasting four days a week, eating only my bare minimum of calories on the other three days). It is the first time I ever got to a weight target of mine… I’ve always fallen short. I didn’t know if it was actual weight I was taking off, or if it was just water weight. But when people saw me for the wedding (including friends who had seen me just the month before), they were all pretty shocked. I don’t like losing weight so quickly because I’m worried it’ll just come right back on after, but I’ve been able to maintain it the last months! I am not fasting right now, but I’ve been eating a normal, healthy diet and trying to limit sweets and treats.

All this to say that it seems the body is a very mysterious thing, and it wasn’t easy to do, but now that I’m at my goal weight, I am looking forward to the challenge of maintaining it (something I’ve never been able to do)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply.