Using Muscle for energy instead of fat?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Fast Exercise Getting fit
Using Muscle for energy instead of fat?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Having now seen several videos on fasting ( seems to be a massive thing now ) I am getting a little confused as to when the body starts to use muscle as energy instead of or as a replacement for stored fat. As I swim for 90 mins first thing in the morning, 6 days a week, always in a fasted state and I am losing weight quite quickly now.

PS
    At the moment I am finding that I seem to have more energy and go in me than before I started the 5:2 lifestyle. Very strange

It makes little to no sense that the body has a natural energy storage system and that it would then preferentially go into catabolism rather than utilise its adipose stores. Unless you are bouncing around 4% or less fat levels then why would the body catabolise itself? There is some lean mass loss associated with weight loss unless you are on a training regime as it physically takes less effort to move around a lighter body. So why would the body not rid itself of additional lean mass that is no longer required to perform designated tasks. But this scenario is distinctly different to catabolising itself to access stored energy.

Your glycogen stored should be reasonably topped up first thing in the morning as you’ve had all night to top those stored up.

I do 36 hours zero calorie fasts and my experience has been that the fasts actually help me to build muscle. I agree with bigbooty, as long as you have enough fat the body isn’t going to eat your muscles. There are small amounts protein needed but there is a lot of junk in your body can will be used before muscle.

Once you run too low on fat it is a different ball game. So if you are underweight don’t fast.

This might be useful reading: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.