Unlucky at HIT

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JC 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I’m having HIT problems. I started out on the exercise bike (upright style, with a big seat). I managed somehow, after just a few sessions of Trapp-Boutcher style HIT (only 15 minutes), to bruise my tailbone!

It’s taken ages to get better. In the meantime, I’ve switched to the elliptical. Now… it’s going ok (well, I dread it, and it is HARD and I’ve not graduated to anything about 15 minutes yet, but you know, my tailbone isn’t hurting!), but I worry about my form when I’m going all out.

I’m doing low-impact HIT as part of my half-marathon training, and I really don’t want to get injured doing it since the whole point is to give my knees a break…

Does anyone have any advice?

Can you explain how you bruised your tailbone?
    Was it from dropping onto the seat hard after doing a standing pedaling set?

I am a very regular gym goer and the bike ALWAYS gives me a sore bottom/tailbone no matter what so maybe it’s just not for you? (maybe your bottom isn’t cushioned enough, compliment?) I avoid it at all costs, try the one that lays down a bit more with the proper chair?

@maryann I damaged my tailbone many years ago and one of the things I have found since losing weight is that it can hurt, depending on how I sit.

You have my sympathies and I hope it gets better soon.

I have either to put up with the occasional pain or put weight back on ….guess which I’m going to choose 😀

xx

dietguru, I’m not 100% sure. I think I bounce on the seat a bit when I’m going all out. I have lost over 50lbs doing 4:3, so a lot of my padding down there is gone.

It is better, btw, after lots of rest and sitting carefully on pillows. I switched to the elliptical for HIIT, and that is going ok. I’ve bought both bike shorts and a padded gel seat cover that fits over the spin bike seat in the gym. I might go back to the bike after getting advice about seat height, form, etc., from a cycling friend…

anyway… thanks everyone for your comments and concern!

Did you have any improvements with this MaryAnn? I’ve found in the past when coming back to cycling for the first time in a while you can bruise yourself slightly but it fades after a little while as you get used to it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.