Toasted Coconut & Almonds Granola

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Toasted Coconut & Almonds Granola

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  spinny 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• This is lovely and not as heavy as bought granola..it’s a cross between muesli and granola but not clumpy.
    It’s very light and very tasty…you have to be strong and not pick at it…if you don’t have the will power don’t make it!

I have this with a tablespoon of the chia jam and a portion of berries.

I haven’t worked out the calories…

Pickuplimes…is a lovely website and on u tube..more for vegans and veggie but I am a meat eater..she is a dietitian and has lovely healthy recipes…I have tried two and they are both lovely.

Toasted Coconut & Almond Granola
    Recipe PDF
    ▸ ▹ Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free
    Yield: 6 cups (12 servings)
    Prep Time: 10 min
    Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
    Total Time: 1 hr 25 min

INGREDIENTS
    3 cups rolled oats (be sure to purchase gluten free if following a GF diet)
    1 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped (or other nut of choice)
    1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (or other nut/seed of choice)
    1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds (or other nut/seed of choice)
    3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup dried fruit, chopped if large (optional)

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 250F (120C) and place a baking sheet onto a sheet pan.
    In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, seeds, coconut and brown sugar.
    In a medium bowl combine the maple syrup, oil and salt.
    Combine the two mixtures together and mix, then pour onto the baking sheet.
    Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes to achieve an even golden colour.
    That’s it! Let it cool and harden, and then transfer to air-tight jars. If you want to add any dried fruits, this is when you should do it (do not cook the dried fruit).

Notes
    Make sure the nuts and seeds you use are raw. If they are already roasted, it’s best to toss them in after the oats have baked, to avoid overcooking the nuts/seeds.
    Get creative: add any nuts or seeds of your choice, or dried fruit such as dried cranberries or raisins, and even spices such as cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Make it differently each time for a new combination of flavours.
    Want to shorten the cooking time? Turn up the heat a bit, but be sure to keep an eye on it and stir more frequently to avoid burning. The mixture is ready when it’s lightly golden – don’t worry if it’s not hard. It will harden as it cools. Enjoy!

// Sadia Badiei, Registered Dietitian

Sounds like a really tasty sugary treat but if you wanted it to be more healthy Id leave out the oats, brown sugar, maple syrup, vegetable oil and dried fruit and don’t top it off with the chia jam.

Bigbooty…
    It depends what you are doing….it’s better than the bought, as you know what goes into it and I am quite happy with it…

The two tablespoons I have is within my diet for the day…I am not having a dish full…

As for the chia jam it’s berry fruit and seeds…nothing wrong with that….I am not bothered with the honey as I like things tart..

Your way of thinking is very strict, if you are happy with that fine but a lot of people alter their life styles to suit themselves…you can’t knock everybody and you are not right all the time..

I must have done things right over the last 18 months as I am now maintaining….

I like a lot of your thinking but not everything ..

My apology symba. I keep forgetting there is a continuum between completely unhealthy and completely healthy. You are correct, everyone needs to find their version of healthy so that it works for them. Sorry.

Thanks BB..

We are all different and I do like a lot of your ideas…

This time we differ.. its finding the balance of having some treats with a stricter lifestyle.

That sounds absolutely delicious. I think you’re right though, it’s a good test of willpower!

Spinny it’s worth a try.. a small snack box for school or office..

Add in extra and different things if wanted..

Chia jam is lovely and low in cals..

Another great addition would be to add a bit of spirulina to the mix, just to max out the nutrition!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.