The Fast Diet and Disability

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
The Fast Diet and Disability

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  neil1945 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• The problem for me has been to keep my weight in check as exercise is a tad tricky with one leg. I have never dieted before. I have just completed my first week on 5:2 and I might have lost 250grams (wow!). Any suggestions for workouts with the program given my condition?

Hi there and well done on your first week,
    can you go swimming? its a very good way to tone up.

Hello, maccolla1641 – and welcome. I suppose the appropriate exercise for you depends a bit on the details of your mobility – crutches, wheelchair, leg prosthetic, below/above the knee amputation, etc – and what you want to achieve – aerobics, core strength, upper/lower body strength, flexibility, etc.
    The first thing I always do, when I want to find out about something, is put out a search on the Wondrous.www. There does seem to be a lot of options out there and, as I often find, the Americans seem to be ahead of the game and very clear in their advice.
    Here are just a few websites that I found which might interest you:

About.com – Exercise: Seated Total Body Strength:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blobeseexercise.htm

Seated Upper Body Workout
    http://exercise.about.com/library/blseatedupperbody.htm

NCPAD’s 14-Week Program to a Healthier You!:
    http://www.ncpad.org/14weeks/

I hope everything goes well for you using the 5:2 approach and you find some exercise that you can benefit from and enjoy.

As someone who has had to adjust with impairment secondary to cancer…I appreciate your posting these sites and have bookmarked the first!

Hi Jeanius, much as this was not meant for me, thank you. I have been indoors with swollen and inflamed knees(got RA) not able to exercise yet I have just followed your links and now know I could still exercise! Thank you!

Thank you, both, Carla and Radroa – my pleasure, to help.

Hello again and thanks for suggestions. I will follow up. To clarify my amputation is transfemoral (above knee), I have a prostheic leg (C-Leg, Otto Bock for the technically minded0, which is great, but my stump and my right foot hurt a lot with prolonged walking – for me that’s about 300 meters. So weight loss would be great and I’m hoping to get to 85 kgs as an initial target (that is, of course, clothed and with leg on).

Hi, maccolla1641 – Thanks for the details about the Otto Bock C-Leg. As prosthetics go, that looks like a pretty neat improvement on mechanical systems. Not ever having to deal with any amputation so far, myself, watching the various online videos which feature users learning how to move around was a great education. No doubt, technology will be moving apace now, improving designs all the time, but, I guess, still one’s pockets would have to be quite deep to afford the best?
    With regard to your exercise options, my mind idly turned towards a fixed-wheel (fixed-gear) bike. Would that be feasible for you, with or without your C-Leg? Personally, I love pootling around my local area on my 20″ small-wheel bike, especially having one or two of my friends’ dogs trotting beside me through the park. I live in an urban area and need eyes in the back of my head to watch out for thoughtless drivers – the dogs and I (carefully) use the pavements/sidewalks as much as possible – but my bike is my most treasured possession, giving me freedom, cheap transport and good, open-air, easy exercise. I hope you are doing well. All best wishes.

Hello Jeanius and Fast for Life. The drawbacks to swimming is that public and private pools run a mile if they see me coming (scared of me falling, lawsuits etc etc.), so as a regular form of exercise swimming is not a great option. Cycling is possible as the prosthetic leg can be set at ‘free’ mode to allow it but I’m not a great fan of cycling and my ‘good’ leg gets sore fairly quickly. However now in my third week and have lost 2 kgs and one inch around middle. I have acquired a sort of cheap walking machine which I can use and have a list of ‘approved’ exercises which are mostly sit-up types and stretching which I have started. I tend, also, to be a little fanatical on the fast days, not going over 300 cals and not eating for prolonged periods (20hours plus).
    Thanks again for your kind suggestions.

Hello again. Just to put my last comments in perspective, I should mention that most weekends I ‘go on holiday’ with lots of food and drink, that is, big breakfasts, lunches out, roast dinners and lots of wine and beer. An epicurean bacchanal you could say. I calculated that on Saturday last I consumed around 2,700 calories. So my weight loss is a doubly delightful result.

My joy at fast-weight-loss was short-lived. I am now starting week four and have not lost any more weight. I seem to be hovering (my weight seems to fluctuate a couple of pounds in one day – has anyone else seen this?)around 87 kgs (13 stone 9lbs). I started at 90kgs (14stone, 2 lbs). I have not cheated on my fast days, if anything I err on the mean side, and I have increased my exercise regime drastically over the first three weeks (thanks Jeanius). Despite myself I have even cut down on some foods like bread and milk on my non-fast days. The greatest change is that I have lost 2.5 inches around my waist!!!(From 44″ to 41.5″). Still I would like to get to 13 stone 1 lb which would give me a ‘healthy’ bmi. Any advice out there?

Hi, macchola1641 – My first thought was ‘Just keep on, keeping on.” You are already losing inches and it’s too soon to think something’s gone wrong. And, yes, daily fluctuations by two pounds/1kg or more are perfectly normal. (That’s why some people advocate weighing oneself only once a week at most, on a set day, at a set time, in order to get comparable figures and not to experience so many emotional highs and lows at the variable results gained from more frequent weigh-ins.)
    Perhaps read around the site for comments from some longer-term, successful 5:2 Users, to see just how much time it can take for the body to fully adjust and respond to this new eating plan – Maybe see Tracy J: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/amount-of-calories-or-amount-of-time-fasted/#post-5308 or Jackie J : http://thefastdiet.co.uk/wol/ . For some motivation to keep going during periods where the weight hits a plateau, see ‘fast for life’ at http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/10-months-in/#post-4015 and http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/10-months-in/#post-4998 .
    My second thought was ‘Hmm, maybe toning down the ”epicurean bacchanal” somewhat might be a good idea?’ I’m sure you know already that large doses of wine and beer most especially are not good news on a weight-loss regime. Still, hopefully, as the weeks role on, your relationship to food and drink will shift and you’ll spontaneously make more suitable choices to get you where you want to be.
    My final thought was ‘Waist 41.5 inches, eh?’ Unless you’re close to seven foot tall, then your goal of 13st 1lb (183lb/ 83 kg) for a ‘healthy’ BMI (Body Mass Index) may not give you the full picture. See below for more information – just one article of many about a better way to gauge one’s size/weight:

Article: Waist-to-height ratio may be useful measurement – By Harry Jackson Jr., St. Louis Post-Dispatch (POSTED: 07/14/2013 12:01:00 AM CDT):

Extracts: “The ratio says waistlines should be no more than half of height.” said Dr. Mario Morales, medical director of the SSM Weight-Loss Institute at DePaul Health Center in Bridgeton, Mo…..The new measure is “much more sensitive to (health risks) than BMI,” because waist-to-height ratio takes into account “where the patients hold their weight — apple shape, pear shape…. Fat that’s behind the abdominal wall is not just cells; it’s called metabolic reactive fat. It creates (chemicals) that cause inflammation….” So organs are exposed to “… adverse hormones and inflammation chemicals that cause diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease – those types of things. And the BMI doesn’t address that….” Morales said.

See full article at: http://www.twincities.com/health/ci_23643133/waist-height-ratio-may-be-useful-measurement

Similar article: ‘Forget BMI, just measure your waist and height’ say scientists – http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9260091/Forget-BMI-just-measure-your-waist-and-height-say-scientists.html

Well done for the success you’ve had so far and the positive changes you’ve been making – I hope you already feel better for them. All best wishes to you for on-going good health and well-being.

Thanks for the links Jeanius. I was aware of the waist/height ratio and, considering 44″ equals 7′ 4″ and am currently at 6′ 11″, I am more than happy with this aspect. I hope my post didn’t indicate a need for ‘motivation’ or reassurance. I am simply curious about the correlation between weight loss, or the lack of it, and exercise. The fast diet book stresses that one of the main attractions of the diet is it’s non-interference in the five non-fast days. That is, one shouldn’t need to alter eating patterns on those days. So I don’t, apart from the ones mentioned above.

Hi, macchola1641 – I’m glad your height/waist ratio is so good – no problem there then. Yes, the more I read around the subject, the complexities of what works and what doesn’t when using the 5:2 approach – especially the question about ‘To exercise or not?’ – seems an ever-increasing mystery. Each individual’s story is just so different from that of every other person.
    I’ve written here before about how I think the ‘tomorrow you can eat as you please’ message in the book needs more qualification [**]. Whilst no type of food has to be ‘off the menu’, just the laws of physics say that – for weight-loss – the quantities may have to be adjusted. If that idea is ‘a bridge too far’ for you, then only time will tell how things will develop. I wish you pleasurable eating as well as every success in reaching your goals.

[** http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-fast-diet-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-this-easter/#post-1580 ]

Hi – I have recently bought the fast diet and intend to start but my amputation is transfemoral (above knee), I have a prosthetic leg (a ‘very good knee’ (the name must have been decided by committee!!) it is not computerised like the c – leg, it is one of the top of the range NHS legs I understand)

I will be starting to swim on a regular basis – I must be lucky my local pool now know me and are happy to you the hoist to dunk me at the start and fish me out at the end.

I will have to look at sitting exercises at home

But thanks for all the info in these posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.