sugar craving lessens

This topic contains 32 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

• I’ve lost 10 pounds after 2 months but what I notice the most is my sweet tooth is satisfied much sooner with less of a helping. In pre 5:2 days I would eat 2 Candy bars 2 times a week. Now 1 one time a week. Yipee!!

Yep, I found this too! Used to eat chocolate everyday, now it just sits in the fridge. I fancy it on a fast day but not really on a feed day. Yesterday at work my friends were all huddled round the birthday box of chocolates someone brought in, they were all like, Go on! I was like, No, thanks, but I don’t really want one. So I didn’t have one and it was no effort at all!

That is great manders74! It has been the most surprising thing about the fasting. I also have lots of energy during my fasting days. Don’t get me wrong;it is difficult to fast on some days. 😉

I’m doing this because my weight was creeping up slowly after menopause and I knew I was snacking on more sweet stuff. My family has diabetic tendencies, so this is a great concern to me. Since starting this way of life, I can walk past cakes, biscuits, puddings most of the week now.
    I managed to keep on top of my weight till hitting 50 (now 56). I’ve done 5:2 since June 2013, have gone from 61.3kg to 57kg almost painlessly (my heaviest weight was 63kg). I do Mondays and Thursdays. I skip breakfast, have a small lunch and a slightly bigger evening meal (both basically protein and veg), no alcohol. I ‘cheat’ with milk in my tea which I just don’t count. Find I drink a lot more water on fast day!
    I’ve had to buy new bras, and my jeans are falling off me. I’ve found loads of clothes in the wardrobe I can wear again too.
    My goal is to get to 54 kg, which was my weight in my 20s, but it needs to be muscley-weight, so I must up my exercise (currently run 2 times a week plus yoga once a week). Today is start of ASPIRE cross channel swim, so doing that. (Clocking up lengths in local pool to raise money for spinal injury research/support). Think I need to add some resistance work now to build up the core muscles. Feeling good, though sometimes fast days are hard…they never seem to be the same!

My success has persuaded my husband to join me…he really needs to lose quite a lot, so doing it together is helpful I think.

I find I can resist chocolate as I only buy the dark sort now and one or two cubes will satisfy on a non fasting day. Well done Rosacanina, you’re doing very well.

anniew7 – I like the idea of eating two cubes but I fear I would just eat the whole bar. Do you break it up in advance or just exercise self control?

Well Done Tulip that’s great news

The best thing about dark chocolate is that you can’t eat too much of it. I love dark chocolate with coffee. I can also stop at a couple of squares but give me milk chocolate and the whole bar will be gone.

Aha this is obviously where I differ. I’ve always preferred dark to milk 🙂

In answer to Puny, I find I can’t eat too much dark choc so just break of a cube now and then, if it were milk choc though, like aniann I’d eat the lot!

I find my sweet tooth has shrunk too. I can actually walk past a cake now where normally I would have 2 or 3 slices! I’m also finding a liking for dark (and expensive!) chocolate. I find I don’t need to eat as much to be satisfied but give me run of the mill milk chocolate and I can eat loads!

Heartily agree on the subject of dark chocolate. A little (1 square of Lindt 70%, 10 grams and 50 calories)goes a long way. I can hoover up Toblerone, so my solution is not to buy it.

Funny, when I read the nutrition label on the Lindt, the manufacturers suggested that 40 gm (4 squares or 40% of the block) was one serving. Not in my house and even my non-dieting chocolate-addicted husband agrees.

Wow! I am so excited to read that people are experiencing a lessening of their sugar cravings!

This is day one for me and one of my biggest problems is total sugar addiction. I have developed some really bad habits in recent months of having biscuits and chocolate daily and the weight has staked on.

To hear that by following this easy regimen I can potentially knock the sugar addiction on the head is so inspiring.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I find these comments are interesting as I am completely different. I have quite a sweet tooth and I find the day after my fast days I have a very strong sugar craving, far more than usual and I usually eat a couple of sweet things in that day – chocolate or jellies etc. Anyone else get this?

Insilence,

Yes, yes and yes!!! Thought I was going crazy, but sounds like you’re dealing with that too……

Insilence and Tidychick: I did on my first post fast day (chocolate, cookies, Nutella), but today I had a one- egg omelet with ham and afewleftoverstirfriedvegesfromthefridge for breakfast, and possibly problem solved!! My goodness what a difference!! It was lunch time and I made myself something super healthy despite all the things I could have had, because I was eating just cos I thought it was a good thing to do rather than to satisfy a sweet tooth. It was pretty hard for an hour or do after breakfast, but eventually I guess my body digested enough that it was easy.
    I can’t believe how much of a difference it made just not having that first cookie. My thoughts on it 🙂

Iwant2bincontrol,

That is awesome! I’m about to make dinner, and was going to have a pazelle first (just made them today), but now I’m not gonna. Glad I read this first.

You are so right! The more healthy veggies and fruits you eat, the less junk you crave.

What is a pazelle? Congrats on putting off eating one!
    I wish I could do what I know works for me more often. I was either bored, sad or lonely (or all three) this afternoon and ate a few handfuls of cereal, which turned out to be about 450cal. I fell into the trap of thinking I would just have the first few and that would make me feel better. It didn’t, and now I’m feeling glum about 450 wasted calories. Mope mope 🙁

Iwant2bincontrol,

A pizelle is an Italian waffle cookie, and my, are they yummy! So is everything fattening. Sorry you’re feeling down! Munching down on empty calories is so easy to do, so don’t be too down on yourself. The worst thing to do is beat yourself up. That just makes you want to eat more.

I’m with you, wish I could do what works more often. There is nothing as euphoric as when you feel in control of your eating and seeing success. Why can’t that feeling last forever??? Hope you’ll have an awesome day tomorrow!

Agree totally with TidyChick’s comments.
    Why DO we sabotage ourselves sometimes, when we know how much better we feel when we are in control and eat the healthier foods?
    Perhaps it is that the old habits are not quite broken? I can resist the chocolate etc during the day almost all the time now, but in the evenings in front of the TV it’s a different story. I am fine on fast days – well, I crave, but I can resist – but other nights I often give in. Generally I don’t go as far as bingeing, but still… I know one solution is to not watch TV…
    I agree with other comments that it is about resisting the first bite.
    I am also a milk chocolate addict, it’s always been my biggest weakness of all foods. I do have dark choc as an alternative, tho I can still eat 100g Lindt dark choc bar in one sitting no probs. So now I do try to savour any chocolate – dissolve it slowly and make 1 square last as long as possible. It works sometimes.
    Reading the posts on this forum has been the best motivator for me to resist temptation in the evening – and not watching TV!
    And I do try to think about how much better I will feel if I don’t give in…
    Good luck with your continued resisting of temptation!
    😀

I am feeling much better today thanks Tidychick. I am sure I will even better if I ever make some pizelles! Hehe.
    I had my breakfast-for-success – the egg, vege and turkey ham scramble. Despite considering not eating, I thought best to get my blood sugar balanced (or, if that’s a myth, insulin or whatever it us that has me wanting more sweet stuff the day after sweet stuff). I have promised my mum (who got to her goal weight and has maintained through low carb – more flexible now with maintaining but pretty much gluten free, and is my chief support person) that I will avoid gluten where possible this week, as I have also read the Wheat Belly book, which also made a lot of sense and I really relate to what it says about the addiction. Cold turkey for me this week!
    On the plus side, I have been tracking my calories all days, and even with two days of eating more than I would like, having five successful days in a week is pretty much unheard of. Normally if I have a lose control day it is followed by at least two more, so that is pretty cool for me.
    Sassy my worst couple of hours was about 500g of milk chocolate followed by chocolate biscuits and a magnum while I was at uni. These days I can still only maintain control if I manage to do so at the supermarket!! Something I am working on ;o
    Best if luck -I hope everyone has a feeling fantastic day!

Glad to hear you are feeling better today, Iwant2Beincontrol. I do think a healthy protein breakfast, like you’ve just had, is a good start to the day, especially if it helps suppress the sugar cravings. Agree re the wheat/gluten thing too – reducing the intake of these foods has certainly helped me, much as I love breads, cakes, etc.
    I did much the same as you when I was at uni – I was the fattest I have ever been, where thru loneliness and access to lots of high cal foods, I put on heaps of weight.
    Keep working on retaining that control. Your mum sounds like she is a great role model and support, make the most of her 🙂
    Hope you have a fantastic day too! (It is nearly my bedtime, fasting day tomorrow.) 😀

The fattest I have been was when I was working at Jenny Craig!! HAHAHAHAHA. Everybody always talked about food, and we got to eat any stock with damaged packaging. Seemed like a perk until I started weighing myself again.
    As of last Monday I have about 6-7kg to lose. It’s a small amount so it’s pathetic that I only seem to lose one or two before sabotaging!! Hopefully weigh and measure day next Monday will show a broken pattern!
    Mum is great – she tells me all the things straight up that I need to hear but want to get around so I can continue eating what I want. This was the one that I riled against the most, but is so true. In case it helps anyone else as well:
    Look in the mirror. You are beautiful. You are also a carbohydrate addict. Your insulin is ruling your head and as long as you continue to eat trigger foods insulin will continue to keep you confused, interfer with your sleep and have you feeling crap about yourself. Stop pretending that you and I can eat that stuff. We can’t. It is just the reality and you have to go through the withdrawal from it. Today! Stop that bloody sugar fix. You would never do cocaine so stop feeding yourself this crap. No more days, weeks, years wasted on this stuff. And yes I am looking in the mirror when I say this, because a reminder about hypocrisy is good.”
    All the best for tomorrow! Me too but I’m still on Sunday afternoon at the moment. Have gone walking 🙂
    Happy 5:2ing!!

@iwant2bincontrol
    “Look in the mirror. You are beautiful. You are also a carbohydrate addict. ”

This has good intentions and may work. How has it worked for you so far?

Here’s a visual strategy to consider and modify for your own use.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/visualization-strategies-and-recipes/#post-12808

It reminded me of what I already know 🙂
    Thanks for the link. I’m not much one for visualisations as they don’t manage to outsmart my chemistry, but it’s great for those who find them successful!

I’ve had 4 major back surgeries in the past 2yrs, and in addition to the major drugs I’ve been on, has resulted in the weight creeping on. With the drugs now reduced, and the pain under control, tomorrow I take back the control and guys – your comments are so motivational! I love your honesty – thank you for sharing! I know it’s not going to be easy from day 1 – but one day at a time!

Congrats on starting, caroline21, especially after all the challenges you have had in recent times. Good for you 😀
    Please keep posting to let us know how you are going. As you say, the forum is very motivational, and hopefully will be a lot of support for you thru your journey. I am sure you have already found many useful hints. One of the keys is finding what works for you, so try different routines. One of the beauties of 5:2 is its flexibility and lack of rules, which helps a lot in sticking with (or returning to, if you have a lapse) this eating regime.
    All the best 🙂

I gave up chocolate about 5 years ago. I definitely found I had less desire for sugar. I used to be a two teaspoon in hot chocolate person. When I stopped eating chocolate I stopped putting sugar in hot chocolate altogether. Although I haven’t quite quit putting sugar on my cereal (Weeties and All Bran).

Thank you Sassy! I read your reply mid morning and whilst I wasn’t struggling it was a great little boost! You really should write daily inspirational tips 😉

Hi caroline21, thank you too! 😀
    Sounds like your first day was okay?
    The great thing about these forums is that we are all here to support each other. I have been doing 5:2 for over 6 months now with very positive results, but don’t know anyone personally who is also on 5:2, or who even thinks it’s a good idea!!!! So the forum is an opportunity for communicating with like-minded people! 🙂
    Cheers
    Sassy

Day 1 done and weirdly loved it! The only downside was being awake at 00:30 thinking I was hungry – tiredness soon kicked in! It really helped to know I would be eating the next day again and looking forward to planning meals with flavour for the fast days – hopefully that’ll make this a way of eating rather than a ‘diet’ that gets boring and falls by the wayside. My only worry is I know how obsessive I can get about weighing myself – though the anticipation of seeing real results kinda outweighs that! 😉

Hi caroline21
    Really pleased to hear that you loved your first fast day 😀
    How did your post-fast day go? Did you feel less hungry once you woke at a usual wake-up time – which tends to be the experience?
    Lots of people in this forum talk about enjoying that feeling of hunger and not giving in to it – I guess its about taking back control and, as you say, about knowing that the next day you can eat.
    The experience of many seems to be that the fasting days also often help you not over-indulge on non-fastdays. (Be warned, that doesn’t always happen, but if you do give in to an over-indulgence now and again, and I certainly have, on the 5:2 plan it does seem easy enough to just go back into the routine – perhaps have a fast day straight after the over-indulgent day – and get back in track. People’s experience seems to be that it is easier to return to the fast diet than it is to other diets.)
    I am sure you have read lots of comments on the forum about issues around measuring our loss of fat! I only weigh once a week, at about the same time and in the same situation (after shower, before dressing). That time frame works for me, as I think there is too much variation if done daily, but if I leave it longer, it can be too easy to ignore the fact that I may have had days of over-indulgence!!
    Do your scales measure %body fat? I keep track of this, as well as %water, and convert it into actual kgs to see how that is going – these help me work out what is happening in my body. I usually only take other body measurements about every 4 weeks, but if the scales haven’t changed, then it can be worth seeing if the inches have.
    All the best
    Sassy 🙂

I too have found that I have lost most of my sweet tooth. But I know I have to stay away from chocolate since it is really my downfall. Once I start eatting it, I can’t stay away from it. Craving are extreme. As far as other sweet things, I never was a big fan for it. On my non fast day, I may have a little ice cream or couple of bits of pie if it is the kind I like. And I never have ordered desert when we go out to eat dinner which helps alot.

Hi all posters, it would appear that ANNA2013 is an advertisement to get you to buy a fat loss programme. Steer clear.
    Good luck.

Haha yeah I’ve been reporting users constantly for the past weeks, looks like they’ve removed quite some posts already ^^

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply.