Visualization Strategies and Recipes

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Mind Mindfulness
Visualization Strategies and Recipes

This topic contains 42 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rockyromero 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)

• Visualization is very powerful and we do it all the time.

Design, practice and play and come up with your own strategy. I believe in people’s creativity and imagination.

I can testify that visualizing works and suggest this possibility for everyone.

What works or could work for you?

I learned a strategy that would eliminate ANY food immediately from being eaten. I’m surprised that no one ever uses that visualization strategy or even mentions it. It’s worked for me and for my wife, lasting for several months or years. Enough time to find better alternatives.

It saves much struggling over eating unwanted foods.

It’s an experiential process and is quick. Describing it does not do it justice.

If there is an interest, search for a technique that does as I describe and it will serve you well.

Here’s a strategy from @teslabynature

“Think of the food you crave. If you let the craving melt away you will find that even though you don’t crave it anymore there will be a void in your life. Eventually, if you don’t fill the void with what you want it may end up going back to wanting some over processed, synthetic, GM, sweeteners added food. Here it is in simple terms.

1. Think of the food you crave.

2. Feel the craving. Just like feeling the certainty and happiness, become aware of it.

3. Let the food image fade but keep the craving feeling going.

4. Double the feeling and build it so it’s nice and strong.,

5. Keeping the strong craving feeling going, see an image, or even a dish in the real world, and attach the feeling of craving to that healthier option.

Bandler said he has used it to stop people smoking. He gets them to want a cigarette and feel the craving. Dissolve the image or let it fly off over the horizon and double the feeling. Then sit and meditate on that feeling and really enjoy it. I if you think “cake!” and crave it and it’s sitting right in front of you then the craving is a good feeling because it is telling you that this is a good choice..mmmmm. Bandler says to the now ex-smoker. If you have a cigarette that feeling will disappear. My little routine is my adapted version. ”

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/psychology-of-fasting/

Here’s a strategy from @teslabynature

“So for fasting lots of people will give great tips which some will follow, others will think great but not put them into action and then those who either dismiss it or say they can’t.

The system is as follows:

1. Who do you want to become and what is your life’s dream and passion.

In the case of fasting you may pick a particular target weight and you can also see yourself in your life’s dream as a movie looking your best and healthiest that the fasting routine has given you. If you want to be a fitness instructor and coach then looking like a professional athlete will put more trust in those who want to learn from you.

2. Use your desire to get that which you so covet.

Make a large IMAX vision in your mind of having completed the direction you’d set yourself. When you see yourself doing your things, really get a feel of the energetic enthusiasm that you are feeling. Imagine yourself full of enjoyment and fun and let the happiness shine from you. In certain situations you may think of thoughts on your mind that are most useful in the moment. The more detail the better. In fasting you can imagine those times of cravings and hunger and notice the change in yourself as you know you are in the fasted state which is giving you all those benefits. The cells going into repair mode is my personal favourite. Body builders know that as they struggle on the last rep that the pain of exertion means they are more likely to build more muscle, so they see pain as pleasure. See that vision of you full of the pleasure of being freed from the constant TV fast over processed food that had no care for you other than the profit they could make. You know, through experience you feel more alive and have much more energy to take on any task you choose in life.

If you have a particular issue of thinking you will still feel the pain of hunger and craving, then be assured that it is your vision, when felt as certainty, that the mind will gravitate towards, and more so using step 3.

3. Keep this goal fresh in your mind every day and take time to make a plan that will evolve over time through experience.

People use all kinds of things as reminders. Putting the goal in written or image form in a place you will see it often such as a post it note on their computer. Use your vast creative imagination to think of your own ways that will be of most benefit to keep your eye on the ball. The thought of having your computer wallpaper with the target just popped into my head. One plan that is using a kind of psychological conditioning method is to sit and relax and think of what thoughts are most common during fasting. If you find your mind often flashes images of your favourite food then rather than being at their mercy you can now practice adding the new habit of instantly returning to why fasting is even better than the food. How we feel about things is not set in stone or genetic, but learned responses from life experiences or instant, seemingly most rational thoughts that pop into your mind as they often do. The fact is that you, maybe after a bit of practice, can control how you feel about things. So if the thought of the food gives you a strong positive feeling and you instantly move your thinking to the fasting benefits. If the food feeling is more pleasurable and stronger than that of being healthy then you can learn to turn down the food intensity and amplify the healthy benefits feelings. I’ll put tips for this at the end.

4. Take action on those plans.

If you desire it strongly enough then self-motivation will come easy. If not then you can amplify the lustful desire craving for being that person who finds fasting enjoyable. The vision you created of enjoying fasting will also generate the necessary changes in your way of thinking to make them become a reality. Feeling good before taking action makes it even easier.

So a quick summary:

1. Know who want to be and how you want to live.

2. Make as big and bold movies of you acting and doing what you desire most.

3. Have a constant reminder that you’ll always see each day to keep yourself focused.

4. Take action.”

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/psychology-of-fasting/

the best book i ever read was other than 😉 on visualition

Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life by Maxwell Maltz (Aug 15, 1989)

& now they have a newer version

The New Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz and Dan S. Kennedy

basically it is about thinking feeling & visualizing backed of by actual scientific experiments.

athletes use his principles

in my nut shell

u create ur own reality

What does the word “cybernetics” mean?

“Cybernetics” comes from a Greek word meaning “the art of steering”.

Cybernetics is about having a goal and taking action to achieve that goal.

Knowing whether you have reached your goal (or at least are getting closer to it) requires “feedback”,

a concept that comes from cybernetics.

From the Greek, “cybernetics” evolved into Latin as “governor”.

@wiltldnrusa
    “the best book i ever read was other than on visualition
    Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life ”

What’s your favorite go to strategy?

rockyromero

it’s so easy to waist such much precious time on

wouldashouldacouldagoing2 sprinkled w/ moodiness grumpiness

& worry guilt all negative ways of looking @
    life

so i try 2 look @ every multiple levels of reality

& make the best reality possible by just
    starting
    creating
    doing
    loving
    &
    laughing on the way
    by visualizing my past accomplishment & building on that strong foundation 2 keep changing 4 the better in this kaleidoscopic world

“the most wasted of all days is one without laughter.”
    e e cummings

oops was thinking about my waist meant waste 😀

@wiltldnrusa
    “laughing on the way
    by visualizing my past accomplishment & building on that strong foundation 2 keep changing 4 the better”

I also have a laughing strategy.

Let’s compare?

a great way 2 lose weight is to eat while you are naked and standing in front of a mirror.
    restaurants will always throw u out before you can eat 2 much. 😀

@wiltldnrusa
    “a great way 2 lose weight is to eat while you are naked and standing in front of a mirror. ”

Are you sure this works?

If so, how long would it take for a 10lb reduction and would it be at one session?

😀

I had a situation today at a Chamber networking event that could have gone better in one respect. I had been in contact with one of the Chamber of Commerce officers about helping their members in business. We had a couple of phone calls and the last time, this individual did not attend our arranged conference call. No excuse or response was given by him. I ignored this poor behavior.

At the event, I went up to this individual to greet him. He greeted me and immediately turned his back to me. That response made me feel small. I left.

I remembered my own advise in a prior thread: Consider being pleasant, ignore bad behavior and do what you intended on doing.

This is an external responsive behavior.

Additionally, I went back to my office, still annoyed at this, and did an internal visualization response. It’s a visualization exercise that I’ve used with myself and others frequently in the past. Now, I needed to do this again for myself and for this instance. I refer to this as: Erasing Negative Emotional Memories Always (ENEMA). It’s a convenient acronym.

It worked for my emotions. It doesn’t change the circumstances but my emotions are intact and I can proceed unencumbered with negative feelings towards the individual or the situation that transpired.

Both external & internal responses are important for longer term emotional success.

I’ll leave it up to you to discover this on your own or develop your own technique..

rockyromero

as soon as someone is negative it literally tries 2 stick 2 u

like a sucking alien CANCER

i always think about what my mom always said

she said 2 only waste ur time ur energy & the oxygen u breath

on people who love u or trying 2 & Wu love back.
    these people 2 not have a conscious & sleep very well @ night

while u r asking why why why? & using up ur brain cells on people who r not even thinking about u

so surround urself w/ people who luv ya & call them 🙂

but that someone is longer worth ur energy 2 waste upon so don’t even tell ur loved one’s about this inhuman person
    he does not DESERVE IT!

biiiig HUUUUUUGS

happy SOUL & nonfastdays & fastdays

Consider that we all seem to go through the same process from initial fasting experimentation through to successful continuation.

If we can know what stage that we are in then perhaps it would make it easier to follow through.

The 5:2 lifestyle TASTE experience:

▶️ T – Trial experiment
    ▶️ A – Adjustment period
    ▶️ S – Support
    ▶️ T – Test for results
    ▶️ E – Exit & continue maintenance on 6:1

▶️ T – Trial experiment – This is the initial stage of assessing where you are on your physical fitness and where you would like to be at a future time. This is the starting point, even though it may repeat on a weekly or consistent basis.

▶️ A – Adjustment period – Adjust the feeding, fasting, and exercising depending on the results that you are obtaining.

▶️ S – Support – Search out for the appropriate support or additional knowledge that will assist you. Having an environment of places and people that continuously support you is essential for ongoing success.

▶️ T – Test for results – This checkpoint allows you to determine how close you are to your objective. Once achieving your health goal, exit to ongoing maintenance else continue to your trial experiment.

▶️ E – Exit & continue maintenance on 6:1 – Continue on your maintenance stage and know that you can review the other stages if your goal has changed.

The 5:2 lifestyle TASTE experience with this acronym makes it easier to remember where we are at and we can communicate this to our support team, giving us a common understanding.

What’s your feedback on this TASTE?

Symbolically, a group of stair & floor climbers have created virtual mountain ranges to climb and measure progress.

I’m in that group. It’s an area that provides mutual support for measurable progress. Very similar to the forums at 5:2 lifestyle.

Here are the mountains, as a point of interest: The Seven Highest Summits On Seven Continents:

☑️ #1 Asia: Mount Everest, 29,035 feet (2903 Floors),

☑️ #2 South America: Aconcagua, 22,829 feet (2283 Floors),

☑️ #3 North America: Denali, 20,320 feet (2032 Floors),

☑️ #4 Africa: Kilimanjaro, 19,340 feet (1934 Floors),

☑️ #5 Europe: Mount Elbrus, 18,510 feet (1851 Floors),

☑️ #6 Antarctica: Mount Vinson, 16,067 feet (1607 Floors),

☑️ #7 Australia: Mount Kosciusko, 7,310 feet (731 Floors).

Here are the guidelines: Climb and measure progress and share experiences.

For some of us, including myself, the journey is as enjoyable as the results.

What is your mountain?

In an article that remarks that doing & practicing is more important than understanding the science. This applies to fasting also.

“They gain this skill through practice and feedback, built upon a platform of native capability powered by high motivation. They improve their performance through deliberate practice and expert coaching. ”

http://d12wy5ngtjjtak.cloudfront.net/ipad/blogs/Yqe1HGxwOBc.html

In another discussion it occurred to me that in continuing our fasting practice on feed days, we could very easily replace solitary lunchtime with enjoyable metime.

Food would be incidental, if at all.

We discussed how enjoyable eating with others could be. Metime applies to solitary lunchtime, or if you think of it, fast days are also Me days. On my fast days, which are on weekends, I strength train, do cardio, and have moments with my wife, who also fasts on the same initial day. It’s metime. I give to others, as we all do, the rest of the week with my attention and time, and we have to recover away from that periodically. Metime is the time for that. It’s even better when we fast because there is a lot more time for doing activities that could not be done during the week.

So, solitary lunchtime is another metime moment. Eating, for me, had become habitual but not essential. I had used this time to recover from the morning and prepare for the afternoon. Often times, I would be more fatigued starting the afternoon.

I wanted the same energy that I had in the morning for starting my afternoon.

Fasting could be the major ingredient at the noon hour for added energy. I believe most people use food to get that energy boost and most people in this forum have uncovered more energy through fasting.

So what would comprise of metime?

Everyone has their own approach depending on their interests and situations.

It could actually be the same as a noon fast day, which for me, noon feed day would be:

☑️ Short nap

☑️ Drink lemon flavored water

☑️ Brush my teeth

☑️ Mints and gum for chewing

☑️ Read a book

☑️ Prepare game plan for the afternoon.

I’ve always thought of ourselves as fasting athletes with goals, struggles, competition, and having ongoing failures and successes.

Metime becomes a ritual for the fasting athlete.

Would you be willing to be a fasting athlete?

N.E.A.T.: Never. Eat. Alone. Today.

It’s expanded from the book: Never Eat Alone:

http://keithferrazzi.com/products/never-eat-alone

Although the original meaning was intended as a connection approach.

My interpretation implies only eating in the company of others, skipping eating alone.

There is a supportive component when eating with another faster. My wife and I both believe in fasting and when we eat together our meals are healthier. Usually, one of us is stronger about making the right food choices.

Relationships are strengthen when sharing meals and, as fasters, we can be role models for others by our eating examples.

When alone, other activities may be more fun than eating. It helps to be intentional about exploring and being curious of what else could satisfy our boredom.

Life becomes simpler.

Living is a full sensory experience.

Running outdoors on a bright sunny day, lots of sounds from people and all senses piqued from a fasting moment.

Stay hungry, be foolish, risk often intelligently.

Re-dedicating to reading prior to going to sleep in the evening.

I’m finding that I can let my subconscious process whatever I’ve read and come up with solutions in the morning.

Is anyone else an avid reader?

Rockyromero I too am an avid reader, always have been. Lapsed for a while but now can’t get enough. Don’t read anything particularly improving, just good stories. What do you read?

@toms mantis
    ” What do you read?”

I have fasted, so to speak, from fiction. I enjoy and focus on business, psychology and trendy books.

I have lapsed this year and with colder weather, more time from 5:2 fasting, and eager for new discoveries, I’m open to newer ideas and people that can communicate with me.

@toms

what good stories?

from an avid reader

Rockyromero, those books sound very worthy. Love your phrase ‘fasted from fiction’. My improving reads are on hold, when I was younger it would have been a different story.

@ toms mantis
    ” when I was younger it would have been a different story.”

I thought you were younger?

USA, I love Jane Austen and Sherlock Holmes stories,
    George Orwell etc. White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and the Colour of Milk by Nell Leyshon are 2 good books if ultimately depressing. A contrast is Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, which is funny. Was shocked by We Need To Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver. Have to shut up now as I’ll just go on and on forever about books. Studied English Lit at college, that’s the problem! The depressing ones could well send you to the biscuit barrel for comfort, so consider reading them carefully! Like Linda La Plant crime fiction. Brilliant. Fast and read well.

Rockyromero, am 60! In my 30’s for each novel I read would read something educational. How pompous is that? Now I know better! My last improving read without doubt was 5:2.The Fast Diet!

@ toms mantis
    ” My last improving read without doubt was 5:2.The Fast Diet!”

Yes, it shifted my thinking and improved my longevity.

Others will be affected also by our examples.

toms

oooh i’m going 2 add a nu topic called

what r we reading/listening on fastdays or nonfastdays?

will add the books that u & rocky red read will read

will add mine there 2

used 2 luv mysteries

c u there

I’ll need visualization strategies and techniques for what is starting to be an emotional roller coaster month for me.

On the bright side, I usually lose my appetite and subsequently my weight.

I don’t understand the correlation of emotions to eating or not eating, but it exists.

I can always find an emotional release through physical exertion. It gives me an identity.

It’s being human and I’ll be having a human experience.

In cleaning my office shelves, I came across a seldom used SAD (seasonal affective disorder) preventive lamp.

My wife thought that she could use it in her office and took the SAD lamp there. She later gave it to a co-worker that expressed a serious issue with this.

It occurred to me that on my desk are my iPads reflecting the screen lights on me constantly.

Could it be that I have discovered a never before mentioned use for the formidable iPad?

This may express the reoccurring happiness that iPad owners have expressed worldwide.

It may turn out to be the constant light!

Yes, it’s been the light, all along.

Is it really a simple visualization technique to eliminate any food, for a long time, with repetition, then forever?

I’ve noticed that I cling to foods because of an emotional attachment. It’s not just giving up the food, but also giving up the people associated with that food.

For instance, when I have a desire for a pizza, I look at my options and gravitate to a restaurant that sells the pizza by the slice. There’s no waiting. They know me so well that I can call ahead and in minutes arrive, sit down, be served, and linger while I eat and browse the internet. I joke and laugh and ask the staff questions about themselves. My people need is quenched.
    Why would I want to give all that up?

At the subconscious level, I want to keep the people. Now, the food can be changed. Yes, I can change to salads. And I will, however, at some level, subconscious, have a feeling of loss that has taken place.

Can you now see that there’s more holding us back?

I did go through a visualization technique, now that I’ve been transparent about this.

The test will be this week. I will still go to the same restaurant and now I will have a salad instead. I will get to keep the people that I know there also.

Is it really so simple as this?

I’ll know if I was successful in communicating to my subconscious on this, very soon.

The Delayed Gratification Strategy (DGS) is what we use and develop with fasting, and seems to be more effective and long lasting with the 5:2 lifestyle.

It’s a DGS muscle that extends to other parts of our lives beyond food control & management.

With food, many are saying to themselves that they could always eat it the next day, if they want.

I see it with myself in other areas, such as shopping for other goods.

I wait more.

There’s a sense of calmness.

Creating a loving place for a part of you:

Close your eyes in a private setting.

Relax and quiet your mind for as long as it takes.

Then invite, into your mental space, that part of you that really wants to be hugged.

Ask that part if it would be ok to be hugged.

If the response is yes, hug that part for as long as that part likes.

If the response is no, ask that part: which part would you like to hug you?

Ask that other part to join your mental space and hug as requested.

Share whatever needs to be shared.

Thank all the parts for joining and depart lovingly.

Wait for as long as is necessary, then gently come back and open your eyes refreshed, loved and hugged for who you are.

@stephb
    “The desire to eat is always there in my mind – 40 years of it! Maybe one day I’ll rid myself of it – how liberating that would be.”

What if you could move that desire from your mind, every time that you get it, and see it and move it to your left hand.

Close that left hand slowly. Then toss it over your left shoulder. Open your left hand and it’s now empty.

Every time.

What would happen to you then?

My wife wanted to stop eating ice cream, and after doing the visualization, it worked for about 9 months. Good enough. We could have done the visualization again but her desire for ice cream was greatly diminished.

Create an effective visualization that works for you with a food that you want to eliminate. Test. Modify. Test. Done.

Play with it and come up with your own strategy. I believe in people’s creativity and imagination.

I’m here to testify and suggest this possibility for everyone.

➖ Choose a food that you would like to eliminate forever or for a long time.

➖ Imagine a time enjoying eating it. Increase the intensity and experience.

➖ Now, diminish the intensity and experience.

➖ Diminish it more.

➖ Imagine that food as stale and starting to have fungus growth on it.

➖ Now there are insects and crawling things on it.

➖ Feel disgusted with an image of that food.

➖ Leave. Forever.

Repeat as often as needed.

So I’ve been working out for most of my adult life and I can remember having music to encourage me on solitary workouts.

Long distance running, biking, strength training, and even stair climbing have been activities that I use music to keep me motivated to continue.

I have listened to varied music from rock to jazz to motivational speakers.

They all have their moments and time with me.

So it happens that I wanted to have an added spark to get going on my workout today. Self talk just goes so far for me.

It’s in this moment that as I prepared to strength train and do my HIIT workouts that I decided to also listen on my headset to uninterrupted music themes from Horror movies. The result is that I now paid more attention to what I was doing and was motivated to move, even more so.

I’m not a fan of horror movies, however, the staccato and rhythm of Horror themes are unique and designed to trigger that fight or flight response.

In workouts, those responses are welcomed.

I have recently started to video record myself and presentations for business.

Not pretty.

This has been a motivator to trim up and look good in front of the camera.

I know that most people take still pictures of themselves. That never really interested me because it seemed a bit self absorbed, although it’s very effective for some. Maybe I struggled with a strong enough reason to do that.

Video is different.

There is no cloaking the undesirable features.

It certainly has been a short term motivator for me. When fasting, I think of how better I would look trimmed down on videos that the world would see.

Strong motivator.

I’ve had a fascination with magnets for some time.

I started using magnets to attach devices like iPhones and iPads to various locations in my home for convenience. To my surprise, I have metal doors leading to the external balconies. I have then attached mirrors to these doors on both sides. So far, my wife has allowed me to do this.

I’m now attaching mirrors to a metal framed partition in my workout area. This will inspire me in workouts and allow me to see any progress made. I’m hoping the reflections are encouraging motivations to exercise frequently.

It’s on this quest to magnetize components in my home, beyond attaching security cameras with magnets, that I discovered magnets for my body.

This is new to me: wearing magnets for healing purposes.

Has anyone had experience with body magnets?

A search for magnets on this website just pulls up magnets used on refrigerators. Nothing on magnet healing.

So I ordered a set of magnets for the body.

In researching the benefits of body magnets, there is no scientific evidence or studies of healing that has occurred. Yet, those that sell the body magnets proclaim the healing qualities going back to the Egyptian times of Cleopatra. Everyone seems to think that if Egyptians could build pyramids than they surely must know of the wonders of body magnets.

Now I was intrigued.

I bought the book: How Magnets Saved My Life – A Holistic Guide for Optimal Living

http://www.amazon.com/How-Magnets-Saved-My-Life-ebook/dp/B00GK90R58/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1401630512&sr=1-1&keywords=magnetic+therapy

This book has thoughts on healthy living and the application of strong magnets on different parts of the body for healing purposes. I have not tested this approach. So far.

What I have done is started to wear the body magnets that can be attached to different parts such as the waist, shoulders, knees, wrist, feet, hands and neck. It’s a sight that amuses me. I wear clothes over this when going outdoors.

My self experiment has brought one surprising benefit: the magnets warm the bare skin and in some cases a bit too warmly. If too warm, I remove the magnet strap or separate with clothing in between.

For those of you that enjoy working out, you know that it’s better to workout once the body is heated. I may have found an antidote to cooler days by wearing body magnets prior to workouts and for any cooler outdoor activities.

So far, my experiment has nothing to do with healing and more about being warm when I do my workouts.

Anyone have experience with the use of magnets on their bodies?

I’ve always been fascinated with stimulus and response activities and habits.

We all know the research behind this and how it permeates throughout our lives. Eating is one of those stimulus-response habits, and so is fasting, or it can be.

I read the book, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products by Nir Eyal.

I came away with the Hook Model for habits that was described as:

1⃣ Trigger: External & Internal
    2⃣ Action
    3⃣ Variable Reward
    4⃣ Investment

A new habit has to be 9 times better than the old habit, the book mentions.

This model begins to explain more precisely about how we can adjust our habits accordingly and get the results that we want.

Fasting is a new habit for most of us.

I wonder if those that successfully fast would reflect on this model as to how they do it?

What a brilliant thread. So great to hear about other peoples coping strategies.

I meditate each day. I do find it harder to meditate when I’m fasting though. I’m hoping it’s going to get easier with time ….

Meditation is a conscious effort for me.

A great habit to practice when fasting.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply.