Succeeding in September 2023 – monthly challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Succeeding in September 2023 – monthly challenge

This topic contains 219 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 220 total)

• Day 18 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Late check in as we had our Grandaughter for the weekend and had to get her ready for school this morning so no time to post.

Think I am just going to coast now for the rest of September as the holiday looms and things to do so not going to weigh myself and get unhappy. My clothes fit so that should do for now.

@funshipfreddie, we will be in onboard the ferry over the Bay of Biscay on Saturday night and we will be gutted if Brittany Ferries are not showing the big rugby match between South Africa and Ireland 😱 This is the big one for Ireland for sure.

Day 19 NFD NZ 82.8kg

Had a good FD y’day which I needed after the weekend… I hope everyone else did too!
    I have finished my sea blue/green Eriskay Gansy and since it is still cool at 12 degrees I’m wearing it everyday. The sun is definitely warming up during the day but the spring winds are coming in from the south and the air is still cool. Eriskay is where Whisky Galore is set – the true story of a ship that ran aground off Eriskay Island in the Outer Hebrides during the war carrying 250,000 bottles of whisky. The islanders liberated and hid the bottles using auld rules about shipwrecks. However new laws meant that the hunt was on by customs and excise…
    @daffodil2010 That sounds like a BIG game. I’ll have to sort out a rugby timetable and see if I can watch it. Yes relax and enjoy your holiday with all that gorgeous Spanish food😁
    @stitchincarol I do have a vintage appleskiver pan which makes wee round apple donuts. The ginger gems are shaped like mini loaves. NZ had a great baking afternoon tea culture and ginger gems were a favourite along with shortbread, ginger crunch, Mae West, butterfly cakes, oatcakes, scones etc etc
    http://bronmarshall.com/blog/2006_nanna_moorehouses_ginger_gems.html
    @excelsior12309 Good to hear work is settling down and you have a nice new receptionist.
    @funshipfreddie The eye sight test is easy. It’s finding frames you like that’s the hard bit!

Onward and downward!
    12 days to go in successful September!

Day 19, NFD, Aus

Busy day ahead so no time to comment on posts. I feel such an neglectful host!

Stay strong everyone.

Day 19 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅

Hello all, I had a lovely weekend on the Dorset coast and caught up with the best of friends. The weather was surprisingly lovely and so lots and lots of walking and swims. Thanks @stitchincarol and @merryapple, I am quietly keeping track of the weigh ins as I’m not in a position yet to totally accept that I am maintaining as, yet again, after the weekend I’ve bobbed back up again and I’ve a busy month ahead with trips… so will see next Friday. I ate wisely this weekend but did have some AF cocktails and nibbles which I suspect were full of sugar and salt respectively… 🫣

On we go….

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 19 – Ireland 🇮🇪 -NFD

Horrendously rainy windy day today, urgh, but I still went for my morning walk so patting myself on the back for that.

Very distinct Autumnal smell in the air, and here I am getting ready for my summer vacation ha ha. Sure I will be only home and it’s Halloween!!

Glad you had a good trip @jaifaim, you have been so mindful it will be no time before that weekend bob up will be gone. 👍

Still three days to work. Busy times as I try to get all tasks done and not leave any crises for the team, but only three days and then RELAX

Oh@merryapple all those baking treats sound divine, at 7am on a Tuesday morning with rain and wind outside. Those hot buttered ginger gems….mmmmmmm

Have a great Tuesday all

Day 19 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@daffodil2010 – you will be able to see the game! I checked the site for Brittany Ferries, & under FAQs/ How Can I Watch Rugby World Cup 2023? it states, “You can watch Rugby World Cup 2023 on board our ferries on the screens in the bar area. Enjoy the game with a drink & either a sandwich or charcuterie board in our Supporters Menu bar deal…” There you go. Maybe skip dinner & head straight to the bar to ensure a good seat? 😅 I think it starts at 9 pm here. We’re in the same time zone as Spain, but I don’t know what time zone you’ll be in on the ferry 🏈

@merryapple – the eye test was easy! I have a, um, stigma? in both eyes. But not serious. The optician said glasses would help with driving, especially at night. I normally wear ‘off-the-peg’ readers, 1.5. And they work just fine. So my new ones will most likely finish up in the glove compartment & stay there forever, because I never drive at night. Glove compartment? Why do we call it that? I don’t know anyone who keeps gloves in there. I don’t even own a pair 🤔

@penz – there’s nothing wrong with your hosting 🤗

Pocket List – Day 19 🍋
    @jaifaim

Day 19 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 217 lbs! Lowest of the month so far, matching my lowest in August. Honestly, will probably be the lowest of September, knowing the crazy week and a half left. Maybe I’ll start seeing 217 as normal and then, as in March, not at all (216 was my high weight then). Got to be honest…probably not going to see the 200s this year, at least not on a permanent basis, but I can get into the 210s.

About to spend the day with my mom. I know she’s having a hard time with this being my dad’s first birthday after his death.

Day 19 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

I’m changing things up. Every day I come on and post … and then I don’t do what I said I would do, eating far more than is reasonable, and dramatically more than needed to actually lose weight. So I’m making no claims and keeping my expectations to myself where I think perhaps they’ve not been sincere expectations. We’ll see if this helps.

@merryapple That pan and recipe looks delightful, and I spent a fun half hour exploring other recipes on that site…because more recipes is exactly what’s needed in my life and on my waistline! 🤪😂😂 And I sure wish we could see your sweater; I’m sure it’s gorgeous.

@penz You’re fine; we’ll be glad to hear from you again when you have some time!

@northgeorgia Happy birthday to your dad today…I’m sure it’s bittersweet and sorrowful for you and your mom and your brother.

My laptop just popped up a blue screen and then restarted…have no idea what that was about, but was so thankful to have my partially typed message still here. I took the time to go finish loading the dishwasher and start it, and now I’m going to go wash the two cast iron pans I used to cook supper last night and the knives, etc. that are there. I have lots of other piddly things to do before I head out to teach lessons, so must hustle.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Pocket List – Day 19 🍋
    @jaifaim
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 19 UK FD800
    Day 18 FD
    Day 17 NFD
    Day 16 NFD

Sorry to go quiet – it’s a full on week here again, slightly unexpectedly. Am ploughing on and keeping my head down in the hope that events will go smoothly and eventually I’ll come up for air. Quite proud of myself for keeping on top and doing well, but boy am I in need of a rest. Looking forward to 3 days off next week and a week away at the end of October.

Meanwhile I’m pretty much on the waggon – a couple of unwise decisions at the weekend but not too off piste. Still determined not to go backwards and aiming to lose at least 4lbs/month for the rest of the year. I’m currently 7lbs up on this time last year and I plan to end the year lighter than I began!!

I’ve caught up with posts from the last few days.Sorry not to be chatty but loving keeping up with what everyone is up to.

Tomorrow morning I’m off to train 30 people in workshop without my lovely colleague who is still recovering from recent covid infection. First time I’ve tried to do our double act solo and it’s for a pretty challenging group – fingers crossed!

Off to bathe and zzz xx

Day 20, NFD, Aus

I think my blasted head cold is making a come-back; I feel pretty dull today. And my work inbox is not promising it will be an easy day of it. The upside is I have absolutely no appetite so today may morph into an easy unplanned FD.

I must look into the Whisky Galore story @merry apple, sounds intriguing.

How are you travelling, @northgeorgia? Tough time for you and your family.

Promise me you’ll stick to your plan @stitchincarol! Remember how making you feel more honoured to keep a promise made to a friend than to yourself.

Have a fantabulous holiday @daffodil2010!

Day 20 NFD 83.3kg NZ

I’m up a bit but I had rice and beans last night and I always find beans weigh a little more for a couple of days!
    We went to see the Vet today. Apart from pacing around the room Mr Mac did a poo🫢 confirming that he is on the slippery slope. I have some Valium to trial (for him not me!) in the hopes of producing a decent night’s sleep. On the plus side at least he is not barking in the middle of the night. He is now very dependent on me and we need to keep his routine going. This means that my social life is going to be a bit curtailed for a couple of months. He might make it to summer but not to the other side because it will be too hot for him… He was my 50th birthday present from Billy and has been such a darling. I couldn’t have asked for a better natured dog.
    @penz Take it easy if you can… I still have a cough 4 weeks later…
    @michelinme I’m sure you’ll do a great job!
    @northgeorgia 217 Go you!
    @stitchincarol Gazing at recipes is really a form of window shopping! We all have ups and downs on this journey. Maybe you should have week off then do a reset? I think it’s quite tough always trying to rein ourselves in…
    @funshipfreddie My grandmother kept her driving gloves in the glove box. It was in the days before power steering, cars were built like tanks and you needed a good grip on the wheel. She bought her driving licence at the post office in Scotland when she was 16 and ended up driving for more than 70 years! I just worked out I have had my licence for only 50 years! I sat the test a day after my 15th birthday.
    @jaifaim Hope your not too busy and can enjoy yourself too.

Take care everyone!

Day 20 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Busy busy….

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Pocket List – Day 20 🍄
    @funshipfreddie

Good morning all, I’m hoping to join you all for the October challenge but wanted to check-in here to explain my absence and why I’m almost ready to re-join the fold.
    Unfortunately, my beautiful and gentle mum passed away at the beginning of September after a short stay in hospital. I did everything I could over the last couple of years to ensure she stayed in her home and had the best care possible, this meant my own health and needs took a backseat, including fasting and to paraphrase one of my favourite quotes, ………………… I knew it would be hard to make the necessary sacrifices and care for mum, but hard is not impossible!! So, that’s what I did & I’m truly blessed to have been able to spend that time with her. If my memory serves me correctly, I know those of you who remember me will be offering your condolences, so rather than put a downer on the positivity I/we expect at the start of October’s challenge, I thought I might stick it in the middle of Septembers’ (Sorry @penz) 🙏🏽
    Of course I miss her terribly, so I hope a month will dull the pain and I may join y’all in a much better place than I am today. Stay strong for the rest of September and I’ll see you in October🙏🏽🙏🏽

Day 20-No. VA, USA-NFD

Dear FlourBaby, how sad for you. My own mother used to say, “nothing compares with the loss of your mother” and I think that is so; but she stays with you forever, too, in her way. It is good to see your name again.

Day 20 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 221 lbs. Still trending at least a pound lighter each day over last week. Next week, I have a three day conference, so I don’t know how that will affect things. Yesterday was difficult, but my mom did appreciate us spending the day together.

@flourbaby I am so sorry for your loss, but am glad you were able to spend so much time with your mother. I’ll be remembering you and your family.

Pocket List – Day 20 🍄
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 20 – Rural Nebraska, USA

Okay, the hideous weight has returned to something resembling acceptable, thanks to yesterday’s WF. I’m busy thinking, and working to strengthen my RESOLVE.

@michelinme I can imagine how sad you are not to have your colleague for the training today, but I’ll just bet you’ll be fine without her–and appreciate her all the more next time this workshop is presented!

@penz Thanks for your encouragement; it was warm and supportive and exactly what was needed to make me feel loved.

Oh, @flourbaby, it’s so lovely to hear from you again, and you do indeed have my condolences. My own mom died in 2015 and while the sharp pain is gone, I miss her probably more now than I did then…our moms are a huge part of lives and of who we are, aren’t they? Hugs and more hugs to you, dear one. 💞💞💞💞💞

Choir rehearsals start tonight (I’m the director) and I’m so excited to start the year! I have some amazing pieces planned, and the challenge is for me to figure out a way to teach each piece so that they learn it quickly and solidly, so they feel confident when we’re singing them in service–a totally fun challenge for me. Until this evening, however, I have various things to do around the house, including watering the yard since it’s been too, too long since we’ve had any measurable rain.

Day 20 UK NFD

I remembered to weigh myself first thing today and I was back to last week’s PFD 80kg so the weekend puff has gone down well! NOW I’ll try to lose another lb or two by the end of the month. Training was absolutely fine – phew! Thank you @merryapple @stitchincarol for your lovely encouragement 🙂

Annoyingly I was awake half the night with toothache which has morphed to trigeminal neuralgia so the day has been all about eating enough to take plenty of codeine & paracetamol and trying to get a dental appt. I think it’s either an infection or my impacted wisdom tooth nudging the one above. Fingers crossed for the 2pm cancellation tomorrow or my dentist fitting me in as an emergency.

Relaxed eating today has been a vegan wrap and crisps for late lunch, potatoes, corn and vegan kiev this evening followed by chocolate rice pudding (raw cacao, brown rice, raisins, cinnamon & oat milk with a splosh of maple syrup).

@flourbaby Lovely to hear from you. I’m so sorry for the loss of your lovely Mum. And so glad you were able to spend time being close and ensuring she was able to live as she wanted for the last couple of years. Thinking of you xxx

Day 21 FD NZ

Mr Mac slept well last night without a dose of valium. I think this is the roller coaster we are on now. I woke up anticipating that he would wake up… He is now enjoying lying in the the morning sun. I have a busy day ahead and will keep going.
    Welcome back @flourbaby and sending 💓for your mother. So lovely you could care for her at home.

Steely resolve for the last 10 days!

Day 21, NFD, Aus

I thought it was 22 September today….

My OH uses driving gloves, @funshipfreddie, but he keeps them in the centre console not the glove box!

So sorry to hear about Mac, @merryapple. Dogs are such wonderful companions; the only bad thing about them is they don’t live forever. I know you’ll cherish your remaining time together.

FLOURBABY!!!!! My ol’ PB partner in crime!! So good to see you! But so sad to hear of your terrible news. As others have said, there’s just something about your own mum that you will miss forever. Pop in if you want a pep talk, otherwise I look forward to seeing you, guns blazing, in October.

Also crossing my fingers @michelinme you can get your tooth looked at SOON!

Day 21 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Welcome back @flourbaby and so sorry to hear of your mums passing. Take care of yourself during this difficult time, xxxxxxx

@merryapple so sad to hear that Mr Mac is on the slippery slope. Big hug for you xxx

@funshipfreddie many thanks for finding out that we can get the rugby match onboard the ferry on Saturday night. DH is delighted, Ireland rugby shirt ready to wear at the bar 🇮🇪

My last day at work, then we head off tomorrow. I will try to,pop in just to see how you are all getting on, and I won’t talk too much about Spanish tapas and wines by the Mediterranean sea 😀

Day 21 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD – 70.1 kg

@flourbaby – so sorry for your loss 🤗 but good to know you’ll be back with us next month.

@merryapple – I passed my test the week after my 19th birthday. I failed my first test though. And I thought I’d failed the second, after the examiner gave me a lecture for being ‘too cautious’ when I was hesitant to make a right turn. But he then added, ‘I think we can just scrape a pass’, phew! Good to know Mr Mac is finally getting some peace.

@penz – that’s downright rebellious?! Having gloves in the car and then not even using the compartment? How do you put up with that? 🤣 Now I think back, my next-door neighbour occasionally gave me a lift to school when I was in my teens, & he always wore gloves. I only knew him as ‘Mr Taylor’, & even in the ’70’s he seemed very old-fashioned. I think he’d learned to drive quite late in life. He had an entire ritual of getting on his leather gloves & checking every mirror, etc & I sometimes thought it would’ve been quicker for me to walk.

@daffodil2010 – you’re welcome. May the best team win! 🇿🇦 🏆 🇮🇪 ¡Buen viaje! 🇪🇸

The Mediterranean diet & dementia:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12536575/Mediterranean-diet-slashes-dementia-risk-QUARTER-study-suggests.html

Pocket List – Day 21 🍏
    @merry🍎

Day 21 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 219 lbs. Next FD will be Sunday. Got to finish getting ready and get out the door. Commuting an hour north to the mountains to a Rotary breakfast presentation at 7:30.

Day 21 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Today is my baby’s 27th birthday…not much of a baby anymore, eh? I was supposed to play for a couple’s wedding on this day, but told them when they asked several months earilier that this was roughly when I was due, so it wasn’t wise to plan on me. So she got a different organist and asked DH and me to read Scripture, which we did for the four o’clock wedding. I gave birth at 9:20 that night! Talk about cutting it close, LOL!

I’m only up a few ounces this morning, and feel quite smug at my stellar behavior yesterday. I was thinking about it last night, basking in my control, when it hit me that I’d had 1500 calories for the day. I was thinking I was feeling smug at all the control and minimal eating I’d done, when I actually had eaten exactly what I should only ever eat, since that’s my TDEE. That was a true reality check for me. So my plan is to continue what I was doing in early August when everything was going well:

1. Eat mimimally, deny whenever possible, and remember it’s only through the end of the year that I need to be so strict–I can do this for such a short time.

2. Enjoy the journey down; while I am using the “deny” language where food consumption is concerned, I’m actually improving my body image and feel, and that’s worthy of joy and delight.

3. Enter my food daily into MFP, preferably in the morning before I even eat it.

4. Focus on the plan, not on the results: don’t let excellent results after a WF make me complacent, and don’t sweat the ugly results that pop up out of nowhere. If I’ve eaten to plan, then I’m doing excellently, regardless of what the scale says.

@michelinme Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about your toothache; I’m hopeful that you’re seeing the dentist even as I type, which is roughly 2pm your time. ❤️

@merryapple You’re reacting to Mr Mac the way new parents do to a sleeping baby, LOL! At least you truly got to sleep and not get out of bed, right?

@penz Funny how calendars can suddenly confuse us, huh? Hopefully you got a lot done on your “bonus day”!

@daffodil2010 Actually, please DO talk about Spanish tapas and wines by the Mediterranean: it’ll be the cheapest vacation in Spain I’ll ever take, and one entirely without caloric results (for us, at least). 😂 Seriously, as much as you’re willing to talk about will be absolutely lovely to read. ❤️

@funshipfreddie My mom marched me to the DMV on my 16th birthday at 7:00 in the morning before we went to school; I’d already had the driving test, and the written test, so simply had to go in when I turned 16 so I could get my license and Mom could finally not have to drive me to all the things I was doing as a teenager! 😂😂😂 Not sure if she also felt apprehension that her teenager was being turned loose on the roadways, but I KNOW she felt relief and joy, LOL!

@northgeorgia You do have early starts some days, don’t you? So glad I don’t have to follow your schedule!

Both boys work on Thursdays, so we’re celebrating on Sunday, and the birthday boy chose to celebrate by putting on his figurative chef toque and cooking a plated dinner for the four of us and our dear friends, so there’ll be 8 of us for dinner that evening. Lots to do to have the house perfectly tidy, lawn mowed, table set, etc., etc., and still do the other things in life, but it’s the kind of preparation I adore, so it’s all good.

Boy, @merryapple, it’s an unusually short list today!

Pocket List – Day 21 🍏
    @merry🍎
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 21 UK NFD

Not a great night and v glad to have emergency dental appt at 2pm – thanks @penz & @stitchincarol for your good wishes. Despite examination and x-rays the dentist is not sure if it’s an infection or something else. Given the pain levels he’s prescribed 5 days of penicillin to rule infection out, with a follow up appt next Friday if it’s not cleared. (I wouldn’t enjoy that one at all as likely to be excavating filling to check for infection underneath!! Fingers crossed!!)

Today’s FD was cancelled as I’ve eaten whatever food I could get into my partly-opened mouth so I could take enough codeine & paracetamol to keep pain under control. Apparently I can take approx twice what I’ve been taking so I may do that for a day or so while the antibiotics work – not least as I’m off to Portsmouth tomorrow to speak at a conference on Saturday! On the bright side I weighed in at 80kg this morning, no heavier after yesterday’s carb heavy day.

Off to bed, hoping for a good long sleep and gentle morning getting ready to travel. Wishing you all a lovely weekend – and have a lovely holiday @daffodil2010! Yes, do tell us tales of tapas and sangria and all things Spanish. You’ll brighten the gloomy wet weather hitting UK atm

Day 22 NFD NZ 83.3kg

And after a FD??? I will have to concentrate on what I’m eating over the next few days to take the step down into the 82s and October… More vegetables, less CHO especially in the evening. Just when I was thinking about making a Friday night pizza! May still go ahead with it and make sure the base is thin but it has to have cheese😁. I was going to ‘unwrap’ a Cumberland sausage that needs to be eaten up. Every way I look at it, the calories are going ka-ching ka-ching! I could have a very light lunch! Decisions, decisions!
    @stitchincarol I’m not sure there’s much difference between caring for the very young and the very old!
    I agree with you for @daffodil2010. I definitely want to hear about Spanish tapas. I haven’t been to Spain but have a lovely Spanish recipe book by Robert Carrier. DH knew Robert in London in the early 60s. He gave Billy a recipe book about what to do with apples!

Everyone – Steely Resolve and Strong!
    9 days to go.

Day22, NFD, Aus

I echo others’ comments @daffodil2010 – we want to live vicariously through you so please please please flood the forum with posts about your trip, tapas, vino, sunshine etc.

CHO? @merryapple. Carbs and something? It might be too early but my brain cant’ unscramble that one.

Beautiful spring day here today – I just want to go outside! But, back to the office and work.

Hope those pain meds kick in, @michelinme, I can’t imagine how you’ll get through the conference otherwise.

I’ll try and log in tomorrow but if not, have a great weekend everyone!

Day 22, 2nd post

A thought for the weekend (or however long it takes to ponder). A tip in Atomic Habits resonated with me. He discusses how cues and environment can trigger a good or bad habit. Deliberately changing your environment can help establish a new trigger.

It reminded me I had done this when we lived in Florida. I used to curl up on end of the couch with a glass of wine each evening. That end of the couch was the cue to drink. Simply curling up on the other end of the very same couch was enough of a circuit breaker to stop my wine drinking habit. I remembered this because, now that I’m back in Oz, I’ve reverted to curling up on the same side of the couch I initially used. And back to my accompany tipple! So, I need to deliberately scoot to the other end of the couch to break that habit. Simple.

Day 22 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. Yes, 222 on day 22! haha

This has been the only day this week so far where I’m above where I was last week (by a pound). But after a Rotary breakfast, then celebrating a colleague’s birthday with cake to follow and a supper that also had pasta, I’m not too surprised. Doing ZBC this morning as I’m not hungry. Got a three day conference in Atlanta next week starting Monday, a Chamber lunch Thursday, and a meeting on Friday, so unfortunately it looks like Sunday will be my only FD next week, unless I can do something creative Wednesday when leaving the conference… but probably too tricky while carrying folks home.

Anyway, that’s next week.

Day 22 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s WF went fine. Today is a salad kit for lunch–we’ll split it, as it’s supposedly 5 servings, but they are obviously very small servings–and then our weekly date is tonight. Haven’t figured out yet where we’re going…perhaps somewhere lovely, or perhaps we’ll split a large Guatemalen pork burrito at a brew pub that has wonderful beer.

Golly, @michelinme, I do hope the penicillin does the trick and you’re far better already. Have a lovely time in Portsmouth, and I’m sure your time speaking at the conference will go wonderfully.

@penz Excellent tip about breaking triggers. I used to sit down to watch Jeopardy at 4:30 every afternoon, and would often pop a beer to enjoy during the show. (This is MANY years ago.) Eventually, I’d hear the start of Jeopardy and immediately want a beer. I don’t remember how I broke that habit, but recognized it was not a healthy one. I’ll keep my eyes open for other triggers that have crept into my life.

@northgeorgia And, actually, after all that yesterday entailed, it’s impressive that you’re only up one pound, don’t you think?

SO quiet on the board today! Even @funshipfreddie is silent! Perhaps I’m simply too early for everyone to have posted; I woke up a bit at 5 this morning, and before I managed to fall back to sleep, I instead woke up the rest of the way. 😦 So I’m up, and trying to tackle that long list of piddly things to get done. Time to go pour my first cup of coffee!

Second post

I’ve done okay so far today, but it’s 2:25 and I’m approaching the nibbling hour, the tempation time, the throw in the towel moment…

So I pulled out my sheet where I record my daily weight and I’m staring at the 153.6 I was this morning, taking joy from it, and reminding myself that I can do ANYthing for three months, and this isn’t that tough–and I need to find something to keep me busy and engaged so I avoid the temptations!

I’m chomping away on a piece of gum–not a pretty sight!–and may need to go brush me teeth. 😂 Whatever it takes to make food uninteresting, right?

I hope you’re all fully motivated to stay the course you’ve charted for yourselves today. @funshipfreddie, is your internet out, perhaps? Your silence is so unusual…4

Day 23 NFD NZ 83.7kg😳🤐

My numbers are going in the wrong direction and I need a serious vegetable day. I ended up having quite salty bean soup and a sausage on sourdough last night. Also ate a sourdough cheese toasty for lunch. I have discovered if I use the cast iron grill plate and weight the sourdough down with another cast iron pan I get a perfect stripey grilled sandwich like you get at a cafe! I also think when I make sourdough bread I should halve it and freeze one half so I don’t get to the point where it needs to be eaten up… or use it when it’s getting to it’s use by date to thicken soups etc.
    You got it @penz CHO is the official abbreviation for carbs. You made me laugh describing how you moved from one end of the sofa to the other to break your drinking habit! I assume your drinking arm was no longer the closest to the wine table!
    @stitchincarol I think your jeopardy scenario is hilarious and the perfect example of a Pavlov’s dogs experiment!
    @michelinme I do hope your tooth pain is on the mend or at least is tolerable to get you through the week.
    @northgeorgia You are exposed to so many eating out opportunities through your working life. May be this would be a good area to focus your attention on. Remember the Queen. She was served a small plate of food and never went back for seconds!

I hope everyone is doing well out there. It is a wee bit quiet.

Day 23 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@stitchincarol – I’m here! 😅 I was distracted yesterday – by an enormous breakfast/brunch a neighbour made for me. There was even real coffee! I’m avoiding the scales until after my next FD or two 🥴️ 5 am?! So you looked at the clock/phone? It must’ve still been dark, right? It really helps me to go back to sleep if I don’t look at the time 💤

@penz – I understand what you mean about the circuit-breaker. And it’s great if it works for you. But it kind of reminds me of the ‘respond – don’t react’ scenario. Like going for a walk after a meal instead of lighting up when trying to quit smoking. So long as we’re aware of the triggers, we can look them in the eye & respond wisely instead of reacting, as @merryapple said, like Pavlov’s dog. But – whatever works! I think I’d have run out of sofa spots pretty quickly if I’d tried to quit drinking that way 😂

A couple of articles from the UK Mail, including a very sobering one about ‘wine o’clock’.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12537451/dietitian-women-hormone-health-weight-loss.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12546035/Wine-oclock-DEADLY-Liver-disease-rates-shot-five-fold-70s-experts-fear-heavy-evening-drinking-blame.html

Have a good weekend everyone 🌤 🌈

“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom”. ~ Victor E Frankl

Day 23 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. Silly carbs! Anyway, tomorrow will be my FD.

Day 23 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

I’m just finishing some yogurt for lunch; supper will be grilled lime-marinated chicken breasts, steamed green beans and roasted carrots. I was supposed to leave the house at 7am for a meeting 90 minutes away, and not get home until four or five, but woke up at 2am and stayed that way, so I begged off the meeting, and finally got back to sleep. Now I actually feel lovely, LOL. Having an unexpected day at home can accomplish that.

Tomorrow is DS27’s birthday dinner that he’s cooking entirely (not actually how I’d choose to celebrate my own birthday, LOL!), so I’m spending today cleaning and tidying the house to perfection, and setting the table with ironed tablecloth, carefully folded cloth napkins, plate chargers, silver wine bottle holders, flowers, candles…the whole thing. It’s something I love doing, and I’ve been cocllecting the goodies to do so throughout our entire marriage.

The only task that will be a challenge is mowing the lawn, as we’ve had quite a bit of rain over the last few days, and up through late morning, so the grass and the ground are WET. Oh well, eh? It will be a lovely time with our sons and our friends, and I imagine we’ll be laughing and talking and enjoying food far too much to even look outside at the messy backyard.

So see you all on Monday morning!

Day 24 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Well done Ireland 🇮🇪 🥳️ 🏈 South Africa down, but definitely not out. @daffodil2010 – maybe we’ll see you in the final. It could happen! 🤔

@stitchincarol – enjoy the birthday get-together 🥂

Nasty weather here, over much of the country, I think. Perfect day for a FD, as I won’t be going anywhere.

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 24 🍓
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 24 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. @stitchincarol And even more impressive to be down a pound over yesterday’s NFD!

@merryapple Well, the good thing is that the conference has what we in leadership jokingly call the “rubber chicken lunches,” which are those specially catered to look fancy pieces that look artful but are really small plates of food. As long as I avoid the refreshment table goodies in the back of the sessions, I should be fine.

This may be my only FD of the week, although if I can avoid the pressure, I may try to avoid anything on the last (half) day of the conference and convert it into a FD500.

However, you may not see me check-in again until Thursday (I may possibly be able to do a quick check-in tomorrow morning before we leave). Hard to believe September is nearly over.

Pocket List – Day 24 🍓
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 25, FD, Aus

Sorry all for not checking in over the weekend; has this been the quietest month ever!?

Nevertheless, some good things to note. 222lbs on Day 22, @northgeorgia; some wonderful symmetry there. What are plate chargers, @stitchincarol? Hope DS’ birthday dinner was as lovely as it sounds.

Big push for the last day of the month, everyone.

Day 25 FD NZ 84kg

Confessions of a bad day’s eating. I lost it y’day… I went to the Botanical Gardens with a group of Westies and Scotties. We had a big walk with Mr Mac riding in an old pushchair then had lunch at the cafe. The food was terrible – completely unbalanced and expensive. I tried to make a good food choice and ordered a chickpea salad that turned out to be a big bowl of chickpeas which I shouldn’t have eaten because they were hard and over dressed with oil and not much else. My friend had a great big basket of deep fried chips so I helped her eat them. I came home and made cauliflower cheese and ate two meals worth in one go… How easy it is to unsettle one’s self. The elephant in the room is why? After so many months of successfully reigning myself in, why would I go and jeopardise my weight loss just when I’m fitting into clothes that I haven’t been able to wear for ages and am considering throwing out my super fat clothes? Maybe it’s because I’ve still got a way to go – 10plus kg… I have also been weighing in more often and can get too focused on the scales rather than the behaviour required to lose weight. Thus today is both a FD and a reset with an eye on the end of September weigh in. Thank goodness for monthly challenges so I can pack away a difficult month and refocus on the new one.

Kia Kaha! (Stay Strong!)

Day 25- Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅

Hello all, checking in to say hello. FD badly needed after work trip last week and into this weekend.
    Will catch up on last week’s posts later… in the meantime I hope you are all well.

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 25 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.5 kg

Yesterday’s FD went well, but my weight is higher today than it’s been for ages. I’ll try to squeeze in an extra FD this week to atone for my bad behaviour 🥴️

Atrocious weather yesterday?! The rain & wind didn’t let up the whole day. We have a brief, sunny reprieve before the rain comes back this evening for another couple of days. And yet they still say our drought isn’t officially over 🤔

Well done Wales! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 40 – 6 🇦🇺 Commiserations to the Aussies.

RESOLVE to the Monday fasters! Let’s make the most of these last few days of the month… 🎯 💪

Pocket List – Day 25 🍋
    @penz
    @merry🍎
    @jaifaim

Day 25 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 220 lbs (well, I did wake up at 5 am and didn’t sleep too well, because of anticipation of the next few days). Anyway, I’ll check in again on Thursday!

Day 25-No. VA USA-FD800

Emerging today from a super-rainy weekend here in northern Virginia. Did housework, went to store, puttered around, did not fast. Did not overeat, either. Weight is static, there is more to go down. I did make some roasted squash and eggplant to bring to work for lunch for this week. Off to work!

Pocket list Day 25
    @penz
    @merryapple
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309

Day 25 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

Ate and drank WAY too much yesterday and the scale is up, but Saturday was extremely well-behaved, and I’m hopeful today’s good behavior will help compensate for yesterday’s over-indulgence. However it shakes out, it was a lovely day with a lovely meal; DS27 outdid himself!

Happy birthday to my mom who was born 105 years ago today! I have one picture from when my grandma was pregnant with Mom, and she’s wearing the kind of maternity dress called a “Mother Hubbard.” Is that a style known elsewhere in the world, or is it only an American thing? It’s basically a night-gown shaped dress (floor-length), and I’ve no idea why it has that name, but it makes me smile any time I see the picture.

@funshipfreddie The idea of not looking at the clock when waking up in the night is very foreign to me; I’ve looked at the time for decades, and my clock is positioned so that if I happen to be facing that way when I wake–which I usually am–I can’t escape seeing the time. I don’t actually usually stay awake in the middle of the night, however, instead seeing the time, being glad to know how much more sleep I get, and closing my eyes and going right back to sleep. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Apparently that’s something I can be very thankful for, right?

@northgeorgia Well done to be down a pound after an NFD! You are absolutely on the right track to start going down again. If you can find the determination and stubbornness, you could easily be 209 by Christmas–you have a man’s metabolism, after all, lucky you! 😂😂😂 (Can you hear the envy in my words??)

@penz Plate chargers are those “platters” that go on the table before soup bowls, salad plates, and dinner plates are put down (they do get removed when dessert is served). I have mixed emotions about whether I love them or not–the original idea was to catch any spilled food to protect your tablecloth–but I have some that are woven-basket types, and looked lovely with the fall theme I had going on the table, so I dug them off the top shelf of the cupboard where they’re tucked away. In fact, I’ve used them so seldom, DH thought they were new, and asked where I bought them, LOL!

I went to bed immediately after everyone left, as I was tired; when I got up this morning, I discovered DH had washed and dried all the china and crystal! So that leaves the utensils still to wash, and that’s where I’m headed now. I’m still stuffed from yesterday, so behaving today ought to be quite easy!

Day 26 NFD NZ

Kept it together y’day. Have to disappear out this morning because the weather is turning to custard with flooding likely in vulnerable areas. We have an election coming up – the first where most get their information from opinionated social media platforms. Who knows what will happen but it’s very likely going to be a big swing to the right…

5 days to go so stay strong!

Day 26, NFD, Aus

Ah, thanks for the explanation @stitchincarol – I know what they are but I have no idea what we’d call plate chargers in Australia! Isn’t that a lovely feeling to walk into kitchen the morning after a big party and find it all tidy? No matter how late or tired (or sometimes drunk!) I feel at the end of an event, I HAVE to tidy up as much as I can to make the next morning easier.

Wow, as you say @merryapple, only 5 days to go! This is a little like that Agatha Christie book – Ten Little Indians (later called And Then There Were None). I feel as the month goes on, our numbers are twindling. So for those of us still here, hunker down and We Can Do This!!

Day 26 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Pocket List – Day 26 🥚
    @funshipfreddie

Day 26 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD or something

I ate very well yesterday, both in terms of glorious food (leftovers from Sunday) and also in terms of restraint, with the result that I was down two pounds this morning…very much EOEO weight, right? The rest of this week is looking excellent for being temptation free, so perhaps I’ll even manage to hit 152 on Friday morning.

The last of today’s morning lessons cancelled yesterday, and it hit me just now that, as a result, I actually have time to give blood at our local blood drive (the one I used to coordinate, before I started teaching lessons in Omaha). But I can’t skip eating and do my usual WF; that’s a sure road to dizzy and incapable of functioning. So my intention is to do a WF mostly, but with some sort of protein in me…perhaps a single piece of bread with generous PB on it for the protein?

I can’t believe we’re down to 4 posters for today. WHERE IS EVERYONE????

💞💞💞💞💞😘 We miss you all.

@penz I have a friend who is just like you; no matter how late we all leave dinner at her house, she goes in and washes up everything. I’m completely happy to face it in the morning, and just enjoy the second chance to think over the evening before and enjoy the gathering all over again!

Pocket List – Day 26 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @stitchincarol

Day 27 NFD NZ

I had lovely freshly caught fish last night with couscous and mixed salad leaves topped with Greek yoghurt with crushed garlic and grated carrot added. It’s part of my campaign to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables now that the season has changed. However the weather is shocking and the sun hidden so the poor growers are having a hard time. I’ll have to get my veg garden planted shortly with an eye on the slugs and snails which are in ascendence because it has been so wet for so long. El Niño is developing which will lead to hot droughty conditions with very hot air from Australia blown over the Tasman sea to NZ according to the experts. Marine sea temperatures are up which doesn’t bode well for all our sea creatures.

4 days to go! Steely resolve!
    Please don’t give up those MIA. It’s a journey, a process of one step in front of another. Posting will help keep you in touch even if you don’t feel particularly in control. Without it you might find you giving up on yourself… At the least, join in for October.

Day 27, NFD, Aus

And even @funshipfreddie‘s post was uncharacteristically non-chatty.

Where is everyone!??!?! Only down to four, @stitchincarol!? (I WON’T take it personally that my light touch hosting this month is to blame!)

Oh no, @merryapple, sorry that it’s our big land mass that is sending all that hot air your way. (I wasn’t sure how the El Nino effect works.) it’s going to be a very hot summer here and I hope that doesn’t lead to a repeat of the horrendous bush fire seasons we had a few years ago. Good luck with planting out your garden. I do love fresh produce that one’s grown oneself!

I’m on leave the next few days, heading down to Melbourne to watch the AFL Grand Final. I’m not really a fan, but OH is, and I can get into the spirit for the big game. Will be good catching up with friends, and seeing a show as well. I do like Melbourne.

Day 27 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.2 kg

Almost back to my goal weight; one more FD this week should get me there 🎯

@penz – that WAS a brief message yesterday! 😅 I had to rush out. Monday was a public holiday here, & I realised yesterday I hadn’t even sent off my laundry. You wouldn’t think public holidays would be disorientating once you’re retired, but they are 🤪 But, I’m not naturally chatty at all, especially in the mornings. Enjoy Melbourne! 🏈

@merryapple, @stitchincarol – our absent friends will be back, I’m sure!

Gotta run – line dancing today 🕺

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply.