Succeeding in September 2023 – monthly challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Succeeding in September 2023 – monthly challenge

This topic contains 219 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 220 total)

• Day 11 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️ ✅

Hi all, sorry to hear some of you are still unwell @merryapple and @penz.

I need a week of focus generally before the second half of September busy with trips and social events. A very very delayed last year’s birthday trip with pals to a lovely hotel in Dorset next weekend and then a trip up to the north coast for the last weekend of September. Work and family will then fit around everything these.

@excelsior12309 oh to have the mortgage paid off – well done to you!!! Just fantastic! 👏

I don’t take coffee first thing … and I now try to move after eating… particularly at lunch time when I have my biggest and first meal of the day mid week after 12pm … weekends anything goes.. I’ve been following the Glucose Goddess for a while now and she speaks a lot of sense. It’s not necessarily geared towards weight loss but reducing cravings, spikes, binging sweets and crisps, etc,

Not sure what I will eat tonight… maybe some soup like you @michelinme… it’s been a good FD so far and I’m seeing nice numbers on the scales even with the weekend’s inevitable bump up on the numbers… I feel like I’ve finally learned what works for me… just need to keep focussed now… holidays etc are the blips for me usually.

Catch up soon 😊

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Pocket List – Day 11 🍏
    @merry 🍎
    @penz
    @northgeorgia
    @michelinme
    @jaifaim

Day 12 FD NZ

Y’day’s FD did not go well. I broke it at 2pm and started nibbling on the remains of my bread and butter pudding then had two slices of sourdough plus cheese while preparing a dinner of roast veg, beans and sausages. My guest returned with focaccia bread insisting on having olive oil and sea salt to dip the bread in before dinner. After dinner she served up two big chocolate chip biscuits and tea. By the end of the night I was very comfortably full, a feeling I hadn’t had for a while and I must say it was quite enjoyable… So today I’m back on the FD list and at this stage don’t feel hungry in the slightest… So y’day was a blow out but not an EFS… thank heavens for small mercies.

Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 12, FD, Aus

I cannot work from home, sitting at the kitchen table, literally facing the fridge, and pretend I can do a FD! So today (back in the office) is a FD.

I’m envious @daffodil2010 – I’m the early bird in the household, and the one to put the coffee on. OH’s contribution is to fill the machine with water the night before! I would love it if one day he got up before me and brought me a cuppa in bed… oh sweet fantasy!

Isn’t it wonderful to be grateful to Past Me, @michelinme, well done [both of] you!

Today’s thought re the Atomic Habits book. To develop a new habit it needs to be congruent with one’s self of identity. The example the author uses is a smoker who wants to quit. When offered a cigarette, the response should be ‘no thanks I’m not a smoker’, as opposed to ‘no thanks, I’m trying to quit’. The sense of identity is ‘I’m not a smoker’. I’ve been thinking about my identity. Something like: I am a fit, healthy, slim woman. That should better guide my choices and strengthen good habits.

What about you? WHO are you?!

Day 12 pocket list (take two!)
    @penz
    @merryapple

Day 11 – USA/TN

On this somber day in the USA, I want to take the time to remember the events of 9/11, the brave first responders, all the lost of that day. I was born and raised in NJ and worked in NYC for years, downtown and mid-town, so despite it being 22 years, it still hurts to think of that day. It took me about 20 years until I could even see the pics of the towers collapsing.

I feel that it was proper to mention that before I mention my quest to stay in maintenance. I’m still not at my goal, but someone here in the thread mentioned making small changes, which is something I’ve been doing: starting to hike, swim, and even cutting the amount of healthy fats and dairy in the hopes of losing those pesky pounds. Slow and steady wins the race!

Day 12 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️ ✅

@metatauta September 11 was an important and happy date on the yearly calendar for my family but in 2001 the atrocities carried out on your soil changed the course of our world. I find it hard to come to terms with the fact that people are still being identified. We feel very close to NYC as had family and friends there at the time and waited anxiously to hear from them (which we did) but we can never truly understand how it affected you all.

Slow and steady, small habits forming we will all get there. 🌟

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 12 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Not much to say. Feel good but cannot get my head around an FD today. I really wanted breakfast of an egg and my home made oat bran bread, I have tuna salad for lunch, and a chilli dish for dinner. All good fresh healthy unprocessed foods.

8 more days to work and then holiday. We have agreed we will not leave it until so late next year, it feels like an AGE since I had more than two days off work in a row!!

Remembering September 11, the world sure changed. I was in The Canary Islands at the time, could not believe the news coming through, relieved when I got my sister in NYC and she was ok. Prayers for all affected.

Have a good Tuesday xxxx

Day 12 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 219 lbs. As if I didn’t need more stress, someone at one of my meetings eavesdropped on a private conversation I was having with a young lady. She was rightly criticizing a local nonprofit and I agreed they weren’t as open to expanding services. She mentioned one service they offered and I suggested yes, but there’s another for-profit that really overcharges for the same thing. Someone else at the table basically tattled on what they think they heard back to the person at the non-profit who, in turn, complained to the head of our organization that I was bad talking them publicly at the meeting. I was told not to worry about it — but, you know. Childish non-sense.

Anyway, breaking my fast with some protein this morning. Won’t be able to have lunch until about 2:00 or later due to another community event. Don’t worry. I won’t mention any partner organizations again. Geez.

Day 12 UK CD

Delighted with yesterday’s FD600 – I succumbed to a roll with the soup and a rice crispie square, then came home and had some mushrooms. This morning I weighed in bang on 80kg/176lb. Now I *just* need to keep on rolling down another 14kg and I’ll be in maintenance 😀

I woke up in huge pain – burning pins & needles all over the body that sometimes strike, particularly bad in my feet – and had seedy toast so I could take painkillers. Eventually managed to work from bed for a couple of hours, was dressed in time for my afternoon zoom meeting and now heading for a shower and early night.

Today’s menu was leftovers – butternut squash and carrot dahl, baked sweet potatoes with soya chunks, strawberries and custard – which somehow all came to just under 1000 calories. Could my eating finally be reset?!

@northgeorgia that does sound super-stressful. Hope the rest of your very full week goes really well

@penz thank you! And glad to see you are feeling better

@metatauta it doesn’t seem so long ago, such a tragic day. A Muslim friend and neighbour here in London lost a whole generation of her family on 9/11 – all the cousins were working in the Twin Towers. Yet sadly because of the anti-Muslim hostility that followed she felt really isolated. We went to a multi-faith service together which helped a little

@daffodil2010 how lovely to have holiday just around the corner – don’t know how you have lasted so long!

VERY quiet here today. I hope all the regulars are okay

Day 13, NFD, Aus

It IS quiet in here. I recall forums past where there would be about a page worth of posts each day, making the monthly tally quite long.

My FD yesterday just didn’t. Despite my keen reading of Atomic Habits, and hosting this month, my motivation and will power are lacking. Grrr! Or, to quote you, @northgeorgia, geez!!

Day 13 NFD NZ

I managed the FD Take 2 with the help of a chocolate chip biscuit… Otherwise it was pasta and Puttanesca sauce and tea and coffees with milk. I have @funshipfreddie in my ear over the biscuit! Tomorrow is another FD… My guest is still here for another 3 nights. I’m trying to help her with her dissertation topic for next year which has to be about themselves for some reason. Her focus was to be on the difficulties and lack of confidence she has as an art therapist. I’m trying to get her to see that her inexperience isn’t failure and to focus on how and what steps she’s learning that build up her knowledge and thus confidence…

@metatauta I was in the tearoom on night shift in the ICU and watched the second plane go into the Twin Towers live. It was very surreal and suddenly meant the first plane crash wasn’t an accident. I went out into the ICU and said I just watched an aircraft fly into the Twin Towers on purpose. It didn’t register and nobody responded. I repeated two aircraft have just crashed into two skyscrapers in New York. Their footprint is the same size as a rugby field. I guess because I was familiar with NYC I could comprehend the scale of the event. Shocking. Billy watched the Twin Towers being built from his loft in Church Street. And then you think about Ukraine and Syria and not to mention Africa… Humans?????

At least we’re trying to decrease our footprint!
    Kia Kaha!

Day 13 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD keto

Stressful day in work yesterday, culminating in a Zoom call discussing some testing I have doing for a real situation we need to resolve, to effectively find out I have been wasting all my efforts over the past 6 months. As @northgeorgia would say, “Geez”.

Wrote a strongly worded email to my manager (I have a new one who actually seems to be able to get things done) advising her of this impasse, suggesting ways to get the problem resolved by using the experts who know what to do and get all the stakeholders together to agree this cause of action. Me, I was a tad annoyed.

Git home, there was half a bag of salted crisps in the press (cupboard), sat out the garden and Mindlessly ate the lot. Lucky it was only half a bag, if it was full I would have kept on going 😱

Anyway, that was it, I didn’t fall down any further rabbit holes and weight ok today.
    Going to make it a keto FD

I fully empathise @northgeorgia with work. Geez

@merryapple, yes, humans ☹️

@michelinme hope the burning pain has soothed by now.

Happy hump day FD 🐪
    @daffodil2010

Day 13 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@merryapple – well done for surviving your Take 2 FD! Pasta is an interesting choice for a FD. I’m not even going to mention the chocolate chip biscuit 😅 I’m overdue a FD & misbehaving on my NFDs, so I will be joining you tomorrow 🎯

@penz – yes, it’s very quiet this month. And I just realised I didn’t post yesterday. I’m guessing it’ll get busier as we approach the silly season. And then again from January. Or maybe people are splashing out on the new miracle weight-loss pills instead? 🤔

@metatauta, @merryapple – it’s hard to believe it’s 22 years since 9/11. I can remember it like it was yesterday. And yet it still seems surreal somehow. I still feel sad if I see a scene in an old movie or TV series with the Twin Towers in the background.

@daffodil – urgh?! I hope the whole work situation is sorted out soon! Sending you RESOLVE for you FD 💪

Gotta dash, line-dancing & then lunch with a couple of neighbours 🕺💃

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Day 13 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️ ✅

Have a good day everyone.

Onward and downward ⬇️

2nd Post – Day 13

Happy Hump Day FD 🐪
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim

Day 13 UK CD

Another happy post-CD me, weighing in at a smidgeon under 80kg and looking positive svelte compared to my 8-months-pregnant carbtastic stomach of 1 September! Well, my clothes fit better than 2.5kg/3 inches ago 🙂

A full day and I’ve not done enough this morning, a big meeting all afternoon then out for a friend’s book launch. Just one more full on day with big meeting to go this week and then more breathing space for catching up. I’ll be eating whatever it was I put on the ‘eat up’ shelf in the fridge when I planned meals yesterday, and avoid this evening’s pizza – usually fairly easy as it’s glutaceous.

@daffodil2010 how frustrating! I hope your manager can get things sorted out.

Strength to today’s fasters and health to all x

Day 13 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. Let’s do another FD! My boss said, “don’t worry. I talked with the person, and she’s still sensitive but I think we’re good now. Trust me, I keep stepping in it all the time in my position. It happens!” So, feeling better. I was a bit out of control yesterday, but focused on proteins, although trust me — there were plenty of carbs! Came out pretty well and ready for a FD today. Planning on a FD500, but may do a WFD if I can swing it.

Happy Hump Day FD 🐪
    @daffodil2010
    @jaifaim
    @northgeorgia

Day 13-No. VA USA-FD 800
    I am joining the fasters today. I drank 1 1/2 beers last night, and they were delicious but the weight this morning was NOT.
    Sympathy to you, @NorthGeorgia–sounds like a totally unnecessary stress due to tattle tales. I can’t stand that kind of thing. @daffodil2010, I would have eaten a whole bag of chips (crisps) without blinking an eye. I cannot keep them around, or eventually they will get eaten. By me.
    @penz, I am also trying to stay focused on small steps forward…then I go backward…then forward.

Pocket list:
    @daffodil2010
    @northgeorgia
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309

Day 13 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD/CD – 155.8

DH and I had a lovely time on the retreat, learning lots of fascinating concepts about solid marriages and about neurological details (some of which I’m trying to apply to my eating habits), and just generally relaxing. The result is that I’m overwhelmed and grumpy at today’s to-do list, none of which is negotiable and all of which makes me tired and overwhelmed before the day has even begun. DH retires next August or perhaps December–which means I do as well from everything except teaching piano–and while we’ll miss what we do, the constant pressure and constant pace will be lovely to leave behind.

The bad thing about the retreat was the MASSIVE quantities of food we were provided. Good food, and a lovely variety, but FAR too much. I never once cleaned my plate, but even so ate more than is typical, so my weight is up this morning, rather than inching down below what it was last week. Probably it will prove to be EOEO, but I’m getting weary of no progress further down, a common theme for my efforts. The best I can do is celebrate the WFD I pulled off yesterday, and be disciplined about what I eat today. One day at a time, right?

@funshipfreddie Okay, let me get this straight: You’re fine with instant coffee, but find decaf to be repulsive?

Oh.

@penz I’m glad that your cold is finally improved enough for you to be back in the office. And I liked that part of Atomic Habits as well, and Aaron Rodgers (famous quarterback here in the States who was traded from the Greenbay Packers to the New York Jets, played his first game with them on Monday–and tore his achilles tendon on his fourth play, so he’s out for the season 😢) recently said in an article that he always thinks about getting to the Superbowl, that he assumes he and his team will, and that assumption colors all the choices they make as they work and prepare each week. His comments made me wonder if he’s also read Atomic Habits.

@daffodil2010 Oh, that has to be so hideously demoralizing that 6 months of work have been pointless; I do hope your manager is able to sort out a solution for you.

@northgeorgia Your situation also has to feel so very icky; I’m so glad your boss was able to bring you some comfort.

The neurological explanation that sticks with me the most (I’ve actually heard the presentation multiple times from this talented and highly educated guy because of different groups I’m in) is the comparison of our brain to an elephant and a little boy riding it. The part of our brain that simply “reacts” is the hugest portion by far; the part of our brain that thinks and makes conscious decisions is the same as the proportion of a little boy on an elephant. If the thinking part of our brain ignores the instinctual reactions of the large portion of the brain, then the large portion will see to it that we sit down with a bag of chips and eat it all (to use your example, @daffodil2010, but there’s no blame here because I’ve done it myself and everyone else here has done it also). The trick is for the thinking part of the brain to notice when the large portion is headed to disaster and calmly talk it down, reassuring it that the things that are troubling it are under control.

This is not the example given to us; instead it was the example of riding through a jungle, the elephant realizing the rustling in the bushes meant there was a tiger and being ready to bolt, with the little boy holding on for dear life, unable to control the elephant. The problem was the little boy ignored the hitch in the step of the elephant when it first sensed the tiger and tried to force the elephant to keep going, leading it right to where the tiger was hiding in the bushes. If, instead, the little boy was so attuned to his elephant that he noticed the hitch, and stopped the elephant and kindly asked what the problem was, then he could get off the elephant and chase away the tiger, then get back on the elephant so they could continue on their way. (Okay, a little boy chasing off a tiger is perhaps not realistic, but that’s the only flaw in the story, right?)

See how all this can apply to our eating choices and plans? That’s why, when I spend lots and lots of time thinking, I can be successful with my eating choices, because I’m “empowering my little boy” and “soothing my elephant.” Hopefully someone else finds this useful. 🤪👍💪

Have a grand one, everyone!

Oh, and a comment DH mentioned yesterday: Our stomachs are not trash cans! 😂

Day 14 FD NZ

@stitchincarol did you receive my post in your email.
    If not it’s goooone…

Thursday Pocket List
    @merry🍎

11:39 pm

13 Sep 23

Edit | Reply
    Day 14, FD, Aus

It WILL be a FD today. I am flexing that WILL power.

I see a silver lining in your work woes @daffodil2010, you finally have a manager who listens! Cross fingers she agrees with your solutions and it can get resolved soon.

That’s why I like animals, @merryapple! Humans indeed.

Woohoo, @michelineme, to me, 3 inches is worth celebrating so much more than 2.5kg (and I love the mix of metric and imperial measurements there). Well done!

Step forward, @excelsior12309, and channel @at’s motto of “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Love the elephant story, @stitchincarol.

day 14, 2nd post

Just saw this article on coffee drinking: https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2023-09-14/caffeine-benefits-best-time-to-drink/102844270

“It’s widely believed that delaying your morning coffee until around 90 to 120 minutes after you wake up is a good idea. … But Dr McGuire says there are many factors that can determine whether drinking at a particular time of day makes a difference.

“For some people it will make no difference at all and for others it may be helpful.”

And apart from fitting in with body clocks, the best time for coffee may well be determined by the benefit you feel you get by drinking it.”

[says me on my third cuppa for the morning!]

Day 14 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️ ✅

Hello all. Busy times but popping in to keep the focus and habit.
    Have a good day everyone.
    I hope you are well.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 14 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Two weeks in already! One more week and I am on Holidays yay!!!

Knuckle down now and ignore temptations, good unprocessed fresh foods, lots of water and exercise.

Thanks all for the comments the work. My boss had already replied to my mail when I got in yesterday, agreeing with my suggestions and asking me to pull together a teams meeting for all to discuss the actions. Then when I saw her she told me she had already let all the main players know that I was organising this and would be in touch.
    It feels so good to finally feel I have support, leadership and direction from my manager. Prior to her coming on board, I honestly felt like I was bog-snorkelling with some tasks as my previous manager was useless!!

Bog- snorkelling…. 😆 Hopefully sorted now.

Day 14 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@penz – good article on coffee/caffeine. I try to avoid it after noon, but then I drink tea as well, which is supposed to have less caffeine.

@stitchincarol – I don’t find decaf repulsive; just – pointless. Like alcohol-free beer 😅 I never found any decent instant coffee in America, but we’ve got some good brands here. One of the most popular ones is Douwe Egberts. They have a really good TV commercial for it. A guy is dropping off a girl at home after their first date. She says, provocatively, “do you want to come up for some coffee?” So he asks, “what coffee is it?” “Does it matter…? she laughs. And the expression on his face is priceless when he replies, “does it matter?!!”.
    Oh – here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q21x2kKCgjA

Let’s get this done, Thursday fasters! 🎯💪

Thursday Pocket List
    @merry🍎
    @penz
    @funshipfreddie

Day 14 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 219 lbs. Little victories…hit under 220 twice this week; first time since mid-August. Despite the craziness of September, I am keeping the month under control. If I can at least steer it steady and maintain and not gain several pounds (as I did after the birthday and Labor Day celebrations), then I’ll feel somewhat successful. Still a few weeks left though, so maybe some nice things will happen next week!

Day 14 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD – 156.8

Yesterday ended up an NFD at approximately 1500 calories; obviously fewer calories would be better for weight loss goals, but I’d given myself permission, so calling it acceptable–I didn’t, at least indulge in anything resembling EFS, but just ate “heartily.”

Oh, @merryapple, no there’s nothing in my inbox; so sad I couldn’t copy and paste it for you!

@penz I chuckled at your quotes of the coffee-timing story. Humans could go absolutely nuts trying to observe all the “findings” we read about after research; I’ve always figured it’s nice to read the stuff, but I’ll do what makes reasonable sense to me. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤪👍

@daffodil2010 I’m thrilled for you that your manager is such an improvement over the previous…but bog snorkling??? Yeah, that’s bad indeed! 🤪😂😂😂

@funshipfreddie You’re right that his expression is priceless! And, in your defense, when we were in either Israel or Germany (in 2012, 2017, or 2019…), we had an electric pot in our hotel room with instant coffee and I tried it, and was quite surprised at how good it was. Instant coffee in the States is pointless as far as I’m concerned, and prompted my attitude to you drinking instant. 😉

@penz I tried your challenge of “WHO am I?” when I finally figured out I could respond by saying “I am a 140-pound woman who’s carrying fifteen extra pounds.” That felt pretty good, and then I realized that I should go for what I really want, so I said it again, but this time said, “I am a 137-pound woman–” and I gasped. That’s a powerful thing to say when you’re truly envisioning it, you know? So I will continue my mental image of me carrying an extra 20 pounds in my hands–they’re not MY pounds, after all, so can’t be on my body–and reassure myself hourly that I’m a 137-pound woman, and make my food choices based on that truth.

Who else is on for trying this? @northgeorgia, would such an approach help you? @merryapple? @penz, is your wording an improvement for you?

Interesting thoughts, especially in light of the neuroscience I just was learning about.

Thursday Pocket List
    @merry🍎
    @penz
    @funshipfreddie
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 14 UK CD

Checking in for accountability. REALLY tired, not over-eaten, proud that I resisted takeway/carbs/sugar while exhausted. Not been the best end to the week – yesterday unexpected FD800 but the least balanced diet ever – lentil crisps, wrapped chocolates and juice!

Have SURVIVED the week of 6 big meetings and full-on-ness – woohoo! Tomorrow just a short zoom meeting then catching up but planning 12 hours sleep first. Heading for bed and will catch up with posts tomorrow.

Day 15 NFD NZ 82.8kg

Wow! I have completed btb FDs for the week against the odds. My guest goes tomorrow morning and I’ll be able to settle back into my routine…
    The interesting thing is I have lost weight so slowly I don’t feel like I’m in the wrong body… In other words I don’t feel fat like I did at the beginning of the year and I don’t feel thin which I’m not! In the past when I lost weight rapidly I felt a mismatch between me and my body. Does that make sense???
    Who am I? I’m not quite sure at present. I feel like I am reinventing myself at 65. I have to be the artist’s wife and have another full on year ahead sorting Billy’s estate but I also want to do my thing which involves textiles. I also have a wee Westie who is going downhill mentally. Last night the neighbours’ cat ran into the house and under the bed while we were outside for Macintosh’s last pee. He could smell cat in the room and went completely loopy, soaked in adrenaline with the shakes. It took 3+ hours to settle him…
    @stitchincarol I love “your stomach is not a trash can!” In other words feed it with good quality food, not too much volume and give it a decent break on FDs. As a refresher, gastric irritants include alcohol and carbonated drinks, acid (fruit juice, tomato, lemons), too much salt and sugar, fatty and fried foods, too spicy chilli and currys, caffeine and lactose milk and of course drugs like aspirin. And those with IBS will have more indigestible foods to add in like onions.
    @daffodil2010 Thank goodness your manager recognises your ability to sort things out.
    @northgeorgia Enjoy the teens!
    @excelsior12309 Little steps will get you there! I do enjoy craft beer in the summer and it’s not as acidic as wine for supping.

One more day and we’re over the hump for the month!
    Steely Resolve one and all!

Day 15, NFD, Aus

Mid-way through the month which is a good time to pause, and mentally check in how you’re going? Are you on track? If not, what is getting in the way and what can you do to improve things? If so, well done to you and keep it up!

So pleased at your work outcome, @daffodil2010.

I chuckled at the ad @funshipfreddie. We have old family friends. After their first date, he invited her in “for a cup of tea”. She reluctantly agreed, thinking he was implying something else. When she went into his kitchen, she was surprised to see he had a huge selection of different types of tea which he offered. You name it, he had it (he’s still a tea fanatic). Anyway, she was so impressed that he was being very gentlemanly and not trying anything on, and, as they say, the rest is history.

I agree, @stitchincarol – you 137lb woman, you. I only believe those research articles that tell me it’s “proved” that chocolate and wine are good for me!

I haven’t yet fully internalised my who am I wording. It’s as if I’m trying it on for size to see if it fits. Oddly, one thing I really want to be is a runner, and my saying “I am a runner” seems more congruous that saying “I’m a fit, healthy slim woman.” One step at a time, huh?

Very impressive to do B2B FDs while having a house guest, @merryapple. Poor Macintosh. Hope the cat does not return.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Day 15 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

1 more week to go to holidays !!!!!

Oh, I like that mental internalising, I am into all of that, just never thought of applying it to me as a “I am a 140lb (10 stone) woman and the extra pounds are not mine to stay” ☺️

My mantra for a long time, started when I had crushing anxiety in the past, is “I am safe and secure, happy, healthy, and wealthy”. It’s my own personal OM but it’s calmed me down during the worst of times, that mental refocus to adjust yourself out of that downward spiral.

Anyhoo, loved that ad @funshipfreddie 😆 I agree re the instant coffee, we have some really nice stuff in the camper for when we are off grid (our coffee machine doesn’t work properly without an electric hook up), and it’s just as good. Speaking of hot beverages in the US, I have never liked the tea. My sis who lives in US always ask us to bring over tea whenever visiting 😄

Oh @merryapple poor Macintosh, I hope you both are ok ☹️

Have a good weekend. Busy one getting the van ready for our Spanish trip, then we have our Grandaughter on Sunday xxxx

Day 15 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.9 kg

@penz – mid-month check-in & I’m right on 🎯. The wiggle room still isn’t back though. I still need to be more disciplined on NFDs.

@daffodil2010 – oh, the tea?! I’d forgotten about the teabags 😱 The ones they had on the Carnival ships – you needed about five bags to get one good cuppa. But I found Tetley’s in one of the big supermarkets. Which part of Spain are you planning to visit? 🇪🇸

Gotta dash. Happy Fri-yay y’all! 🍹

Day 15 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 221 lbs. Got a busy morning and afternoon, and a work-related event tomorrow afternoon. A short weekend ahead, and FDs planned for Sunday and Monday.

Day 15 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 154.4

The WF went fine yesterday, and I’m busy working on building my mental discipline so that today can go according to plan: a 300 calorie salad for lunch and then dinner out for DH’s and my weekly date. The toughest will be that salad: it will taste wonderful, but I’ll be longing for more substance, so perhaps I’ll supplement with some yogurt. The trick will be to keep busy so I’m away from the thought of food. I have another constitution meeting this morning, and then will have to find something to do this afternoon–rather than hang around the house to do things–so that I can sail through to when we leave the house without already having eaten more than planned. I can do this, because “I’m a 137-pound woman carrying 17 extra pounds that I need to set down, and I’m skilled at making excellent eating choices.” Perhaps all that’s needed is that I keep repeating that ad nauseam??

@michelinme Well done for all your excellent eating choices this week, even when so exhausted!!!

@merryapple B2B FDs with company in the house??? You ROCK.

@penz On how September is going: I’m thrilled I’m at 153/154 after my two WFDs, as that is much improved over the 161 I’d hit when we got home from vacation–and it probably was several pounds higher, but I didn’t have my scale with me (obviously) to know how high it got, and we ate very little on the day driving home, so it undoubtedly dropped me down a pound or two. But. Several of those were EOEO pounds, and I was down to 153 in early September, so the reality is that my choices for the last ten days have not been as stellar as needed to continue the path down further. That’s the reality check. The good news is that there are still 15 days left in September, which is enough time to drop two more pounds as long as my choices are excellent. My overall goal is 140 by Christmas (and 137 shortly thereafter), so 2 more pounds in September will give me four pounds each in the months until Christmas. It will be a bit challenging since we have two birthday dinners in the next month, Halloween, Thanksgiving, my December birthday, and all the other events that come up…But “I’m a 137-pound woman carrying 17 extra pounds that I need to set down, and I’m skilled at making excellent eating choices.” 🤪💪💪💪 Oh, and enjoy your run this weekend!!

@daffodil2010 Oh, I like your “and the extra pounds are not mine to stay”; well phrased!

And it’s comforting to hear you and @funshipfreddie talk about the tea in the States not being lovely; I’ve never been able to grasp why so many people around the world adore tea; maybe it’s because I’ve never had a proper cuppa, right?

I just realized that I have two big jobs I need to accomplish today: I have a stack of recipes that need sorting and putting away (when I find recipes I want to make, I print them on regular paper and organize them in binders in plastic protectors, and they’re a mess right now) and it’s time to get out the fall decorations. So instead of leaving the house this afternoon, I need to stay home so I can get that done; that will call for lots and lots of will (and won’t) power!

Day 15 UK NFD

Mid-month check in and I’m back down 5lb to 177lb/80.2kg and my EO holiday weight has gone, taking with it nearly an inch from my waist. It also brings me to just under my start weight when I first found 5:2 back in 2017 tho it feels like more work this time round!

That’s my first goal for this month met a little more quickly than I thought. Next mini goal is to get under 80kg with a stretch goal of 172lb/78kg for the month. Drinking plenty of water and hot drinks, eating to goal weight TDEE and avoiding sugar plus two solid FDs or LFD each week whould get me there. I’m now in competition with Past Me from 2017 which will keep me motivated and my mouth closed around sickly sugary stuff (formerly known as ‘treats’!). Also need to make sure I eat earlier and at least 3 hours before bedtime!!

Back to the laptop…

Day 16 NFD NZ

Just baked Ginger Gems (1st time for years) and I’m off to a Guild lecture on something medieval.
    Have a good day!

Day 15 – Ireland – CD 🚫🚶‍♂️ ✅
    Day 16 – NFD – UK 🥂 💃🏻🏖️
    152.5 lbs

Checking in before we hike on the Jurassic coast and fun with friends later.

Hope you are all keeping well as we go to the second half.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 16 – Ireland 🇮🇪 -NFD

Super busy day already. Woke with DH at 5.30am, he off to a charity cycle event for which he is one of the motorcycle marshals, and me, I completely hoovered (vacuumed) every inch of my house before 8am then washed the floors 😄

I have switched over to a new electricity plan which gives us half the price if we use between 11pm and 8am, so I am like a woman possessed making sure all electrical chores like washing, dishwashing, etc all done before 8am. I love it! We have saved already in just two months, our electricity bill is half what it used to be 👍

Then off shopping for all the dry goods that we are bringing with us to Spain, and now I am enjoying a nice cup of tea @stitchincarol, I take mine black these days, but the nearest in the US to my Barry’s Gold Blend would be an Irish/English breakfast tea.

And now just about to hit the camper van to clean floors, Windows, cupboards, then stock up with all the dry goods. Pack my summer clothes into the van. Then RELAX.

@funshipfreddie, we are getting the ferry from Rosslare to Bilbao, over 32 hours on board, but should be good whale spotting over the Bay of Biscay. We arrive Sunday morning next, and amble down through Rioja region and we have a beachside plot booked in the Costa Dorada area, near Tarragona. We have been there before and we love it.

Have a great Saturday all.

Day 16 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. A pound down over last week’s average. Planning on FDs on Sunday/Monday again. Have an event this afternoon for work. Short weekend blah.

Day 16 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 155.4

I succeeded yesterday in not being pulled to the kitchen to snack; my calorie intake in the evening was decent, although I shouldn’t have split a beer with DH at one point. Nonetheless, my behavior was a vast improvement over many Fridays, and the proof is that I’m only up a pound. Today, I’ll be around the house most of the day–unfortunately, LOL–but am again working on the right mental attitude so that my little boy is driving the elephant, rather than the elephant running away with the little boy. I’ll be having the rest of last night’s supper to today’s lunch (a vegetable sandwich with grilled eggplant, red bell pepper, spinach, onion and more, plus some melted cheese, all on a bun) and then a beans, sausage and brats casserole with a tossed green salad for supper. I’ll enter it all into MFP, and see how much room I have for red wine and/or beer bread.

@michelinme Well done that your EO holiday weight was indeed EO; at the rate you’re going, you’ll be easily keeping up with 2017’s progress!

@merryapple Ginger Gems: a cookie?

@jaifaim You’re being very quiet about it, but it’s a joy to watch your scale numbers go down bit by bit, and see you maintain so beautifully. ❤️

@daffodil2010 Perhaps I’ll hunt for something at the grocery store, and see if I can taste the appeal. 🤪👍 But I think I’ll ask here before I buy any given brand in case any of you know whether there’s any point in trying it. 😉 And, holy smokes, but that’s a long ferry trip! I just searched the places you mentioned, and it looks totally fun as a way to begin a vacation! Will you come home the same way?

Day 17 NFD NZ

My darling Mr Mac is losing it… The last 3 nights we have been up 3x… I’m feeling so sad for him. And grumpy from loss of sleep…
    @daffodil What a gorgeous sounding holiday!
    @stitchincarol Do you recall the old cast iron gem irons? You heat them up in the oven first then put gingery golden syrupy batter in the wee 2 x 6 beds in the cast iron tray. I also use them to make corn bread.
    @jaifaim well done on your quiet success!
    Enjoy Sunday!

Day 17 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@daffodil2010 – your trip sounds amazing. I’m green with envy 💚

@merryapple – poor Mr Mac? Isn’t there something you can calm him with? Some kind of sedative for canines..?

Dr Mosley’s column from yesterday, talking about, amongst other things, tea & coffee. Maybe he’s been eavesdropping..? 🤔
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12524943/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-Walk-rain-backwards-boost-memory.html

Not in the mood for a FD. But then I never am 🥴️ so I’m contemplating Monday morning PFDS.
    @northgeorgia, lets get this done. But – no B2B for me! 🤯

Happy S🌞nday!

Pocket List – Day 17 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 17 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. @funshipfreddie Sounds good to me! Let’s get it going.

I’m a pound lighter over last Sunday, but still not as light as some of my Sundays in August. With everything happening this month, I kind of figured September would be a bust for furthering down the downwards path. However, I should be able to approach my successes in August by the end of the month.

It’s a bittersweet week. I’m taking Tuesday off work to spend with my mom. It would have been my dad’s 70th birthday, and the first one since he passed away. I plan to go by the cemetery, and then to his favorite diner for lunch (he complained when after the pandemic they decided to close at 2 p.m.; he said he only wanted supper from their menu). Thursday, I am speaking at a Rotary breakfast, then taking a colleague from another local college out for her birthday lunch. So my FDs will indeed be today and Monday, and probably Wednesday. Today a WFD, and the other(s) will be FD500s. I got tired of the complexity and flavors of my RBSalads and last week simplified it to a head of Romaine and an English cucumber with bacon bits, salt and a bit of balsamic.

Next week, I’ll probably only do Sunday and Thursday, as I’ll be at a Conference the first three days of the week in Atlanta. The article on tea was interesting. The problem is here in the South, we sweeten our tea with sugar so much, it is sweeter than soft drinks! Never been a fan of unsweetened tea or hot tea — but may attempt it this winter.

Pocket List – Day 17 🥚
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 18, FD, Aus

Busy weekend for me so sorry all did not log in. And my start to the week involves a nasty personnel situation. Sigh.

For a moment there @daffodil2010 I thought you were going to report that you were up at midnight doing the vacuuming and running major electrical appliances! Glad it’s just an early start and you’re saving heaps.

Busy week ahead of you @northgeorgia, but well done on being a pound down from a week ago.

Day 18 pocket list:
    @penz
    @northgeorgia

Day 18 NZ FD 83.2kg

I had a visitor whilst still in my dressing gown with a shawl across my shoulders… thank you Mr Mac for helping to lower my standards… I have now got dressed.
    I watched a Netflix programme by Dan Buettenor on blue zones around the world which are where people live to 100+ with a decent quality of life. Food wise purple sweet potatoes (Okinawa), corn-beans-pumpkin (Costa Rica), 7th Day Adventist’s emphasis on plant based foods (LA), pasta and sourdough bread (Sardinia) and a Greek Mediterranean diet (Greek Island) contributed to blue zone living. It became obvious that as well everyone had a sense of purpose in life, they all had gardens where they produced their own mostly plant based food, used hand tools rather than labour saving tools, they walked a lot and had gently active lives with a sense of purpose. Their communities were intact, they volunteered, they had family around them and they had faith. It was heartening to see that simplicity of living is worthwhile and keeps you well. However the industrialised food complex and coach potato lives are playing havoc with health and wellbeing. What a surprise!

@penz Sending strength for your personnel problem…
    @funshipfreddie Yes I’m going to see what the vet will offer.

Pocket List
    @penz
    @northgeorgia
    @merry🍎

Stay Strong!

Day 18 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 70.1 kg

Hassle-free FD yesterday, & Monday morning PFDS! 🥳️

Go Bokke! 🇿🇦 76 – 0 🇷🇴 🏈 🥳️

Off for my first ever eye test. Well, apart from the one they do at the licence centre 🤓

Sending RESOLVE to the Monday fasters 💪

Day 18 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶‍♂️ ✅

Travelling – so quick check in. Not getting to read posts but have a happy Monday everyone. ☀️

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 18-No. VA, USA-FD800
    Joining the fasters today. Busy office schedule continues, but we now have a good new receptionist. I hope that she is honest!!! I have to go to court in mid October regarding the other, felonious former employee. 🙁
    Resolve to the fasters!
    @penz
    @northgeorgia
    @ merryapple
    @excelsior12309

Day 18 – USA/GA – FD500

Weigh-in: 219 lbs. Down a pound over last Monday, so we’re on the right track! I need to remember what I did in March, and how I tried to imitate that in August, which really got me moving in the right direction until the holiday/celebration periods showed up (and it’s so easy to stay in celebratory eating habits!). No big secret — just reducing eating to when you’re actually hungry, so a lot of NFD OMADs or 2MADs, where one is quite small.

@excelsior12309 Oh my! I hope all goes well for you in October — stressful time until then, I know.

Pocket list – day 19
    @penz
    @northgeorgia
    @merryapple
    @excelsior12309

2nd Post – Day 18

Pocket list – Day 18 🥕
    @penz
    @northgeorgia
    @merryapple
    @jaifaim
    @excelsior12309

Day 18 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

I’m retaining water on a serious level–I’m certain of this–but I’m also eating more calories than I should be–I’m equally certain of this, to my sorrow–so I’m simply not going to list this morning’s ugly weight.

The bean dish I made for supper on Saturday was absolutely glorious, but FAR more calories than had occurred to me. I already have some in the freezer for quick suppers or lunches, and whatever is leftover today after DH has had what he wants will also go in the freezer. The “Taco Pie” I made yesterday with mashed potatoes as the “crust” also astonished me at the number of calories it had (part of why I’ve ended up with too many calories over the weekend), but it’s a lovely taste and is GF, the new thing I’m always conscious of for DS31’s sake. The problem is clearly that I’m spending far too much time thinking about cooking, and not thinking about cooking weight-loss-friendly food.

Hmmm, @merryapple Are you talking about what I’d call an ebelskiver pan? Like this, only cast iron? https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-427269/nordic-ware-aebleskiver-nonstick-danish-pancake-pan.jsp?skuid=89925188&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=COOKWARE&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing&CID=shopping20&utm_campaignid=380493015&utm_adgroupid=1233652253508104&msclkid=c743d1fba679177e7a81b4f3c3630175&gclid=c743d1fba679177e7a81b4f3c3630175&gclsrc=3p.ds I have one (and haven’t used it in years), but have never known what’s cooked in it to be called Ginger Gems. Tell more!

Have a grand one, everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply.