Stevia: How to read labels before buying?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Stevia: How to read labels before buying?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  shannon123 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hi group, I’m pretty much sure that some of you must be use stevia as a natural substitute of sugar. But how do you know that which is the right one? Like some stevia labels say that they have:

1. fructooligosaccharides
    2. Erythritol
    3. sugar alcohol like Isomalt
    4. Lactose
    and more along with strvia.

All of these with stevia, in my view isn’t the right stuff to consume. So group, please share your view on how you buy stevia or any brand in particular.

I’m consuming this sweetleaf stevia, but had to import it so it cost my 5 times 🙁

Generally with stevia they add another sugar too, because stevia has a bitter after taste that is more obvious the more you use.

(I have a stevia plant and just pick a leaf and add it to my cup of tea. That way I know what I am getting! 😉 )

So how’s the taste of stevia plant in tea or coffer?

I love the touch of sweetness and don’t mind the stevia taste, but several friends have tried it and find it is too different from sugar for their taste.
    I’ve cut out sugar so it is stevia leaf or nothing for me!
    Kids love to pick a leaf and eat it!

Thanks Cinque, Even now I am tempted to try Stevia leaves.

Look for smaller, more tender ones! Good luck!

this is a great topic to discuss.

I just bought my first jar of stevia. The label reads 88% inulin and 10% steviol glycosides.

I’ve done some light research on inulin and can find no serious side effects. Can anyone else share some thoughts on inulin and whether it is good to consume and in what quantities.

Jay

My friend with diabetes now avoids stevia and all other sugar substitutes. She used to use them to lose weight prior to her diagnosis, but since has tossed them all out. There is not benefit to using sugar substitutes.

yes, this is what i thought. Regrettably I have already opened this jar of stevia so cannot return it. There’s no way getting round sugar other than accepting no sugar. But this is difficult if you have a family and want to bake etc.

yes, this is what i thought. Regrettably I have already opened this jar of stevia so cannot return it. There’s no way getting round sugar other than accepting no sugar. But this is difficult if you have a family and want to bake etc.

Well, no one knows what effect that sweeteners have on our bodies, so I have avoided them. I use half the sugar in recipes and no one seems to notice and then I reduced the amount of baking that I do in a week-for everyone’s benefit. The family will get used to it, say nothing and see if they say anything. Mine didn’t and then came to accept that a cake was a treat not something that happened several times a week. It shows on their waistlines too!

That’s the stuff, Annette. Good modeling for you family’s future behavior and expectations. We have reduced the amount of sugar in the coffee [1/2 tsp for me] and I bake a lot less, probably because with only 2 of us it lasts longer. Apple pie has gone from a full-size as Sunday dinner [cut 6-8 slices] to a mini pie which yields 4 slices. Much more sensible. Now to work on cutting the carbs from flour….

Starter, give your stevia to an unenlightened friend.

How about jaggery as a sugar replacement?
    Jaggery is used as sugar replacement at my place.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.