Starting tomorrow – yikes!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Starting tomorrow – yikes!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Can anyone give me tips on what to eat on a fast day? Thanks

Anything you like as long as you keep the total calories within the limit you set yourself. Alternatively, nothing at all, which is now my method and which works very effectively. There are those in this community who will eat nothing but lettuce and those who will drink beer on a fasting day. The calorie count is what is important. Healthy choices are better, but it is pretty well impossible to deprive yourself of any essential nutrient in a one or two day fast, so go with what you are comfortable doing. When I started I permitted myself a banana at breakfast, a salad or an apple at lunchtime and bacon and egg or a kipper in the evening. I also allowed myself a small whisky. I lost my first 25 pounds that way, then came to the conclusion that having nothing except liquids worked better for me. There are many different approaches used – hop around the threads, see what others are doing and try a few until you find what works for you.

Hi, Jeanie.
    Here are some of our favorite Fast breakfasts:

CHEESY-BAKE: 248 calories 4.6 g fat 6.2 g fiber 12.1 g protein 40 g carbs 267 mg Calcium PB GF This is the baked version of a cheese omelette that thinks that it is a cheese souffle! Delicious.
    One 2-oz egg 1/2 oz cheddar cheese, grated 1 Tbsp reduced fat ricotta cheese 1/2 c raspberries [When I use frozen fruit, I portion it into its dish the night before, so it will be thawed by morning] ½ oz apple, sliced blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon juice & hot water, 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or natural apple cider
    Spritz a ramekin with olive oil or non-stick spray. Set the toaster oven at 350 degrees F. Stir the two cheeses together with a fork until blended and whisk with the egg. Without waiting, pour into the ramekin and bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and beginning to brown. Prepare the fruit and beverages and enjoy a cheesy start to your day.

IMPROPER ENGLISH: 289 calories 2.5 g fat 5.8 g fiber 16 g protein 61 g carb 210.8 mg Calcium NB: those are COMPLEX carbs, the kind that are good for you. Or, you could eliminate the bread. A “proper English” is the full Victorian breakfast, serving every conceivable food you can imagine. This version leaves out the eggs and kippers [how improper!], but keeps the protein-rich baked beans along with the rest of the usual stand-bys.
    ¼ cup baked beans one slice 3%-fat ham 1/4 piece of 70-cal whole-grain toast ½ of a 2.5” diameter tomato 1 oz mushrooms a few grapes 5-6 oz fruit or green smoothie or unpasturized apple cider blackish coffee or tea or lemon in hot water
    Cut the tomato around its equator and put one half away for later. Salt the tomato and put under the broiler until it softens. Cook the ham and mushrooms in the same pan to heat through. Heat the beans – perhaps in the microwave. Toast the bread and brew the hot beverage. Pour the smoothie and plate everything. Cheerio!

OATMEAL PUDDING: 301 cal 3 g fat 3 g fiber 15 g protein 16.3 g carb 198.6 mg Calcium GF PB A riff on a recipe found in Marion Cunningham’s Breakfast Book, this can easily be prepared the night before. NB: THIS MAKES ENOUGH FOR TWO [2] SERVINGS.  Make them both, as two are as easy as one, and freeze the other.
    1/2 cup rolled oats, cooked in 1 cup water 2 tsp maple syrup ½ cup fatfree cottage cheese pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon 4 Tbsp. blueberries [fresh or frozen] 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or natural apple cider blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water
    Cook the oatmeal in the water. Take off the heat, stir in the maple syrup and nutmeg. While it is still a little warm, stir in the cottage cheese. Let sit to cool. HINT: I did this part the night before while cleaning up after dinner. If making one portion, pour half of the pudding into a freezer container and top with 2 Tbsp blueberries. Freeze it. HINT: make the entire batch, eat half of it today and freeze the rest for a really simple-to-prepare breakfast for another day. With the remainder, stir in 2 Tbsp blueberries and pour the pudding into a ramekin. Nuke it for a minute to heat through – longer than that and it will bubble over. Serve with the fruit smoothie, and hot beverage for a hearty, healthy meal.

Some dinner suggestions:
    TURKEY PICATA: 257 calories 5 g fat 1.3 g fiber 31 g protein 21 g carbs 28 mg Calcium GF Rush Hour Cooking provided this recipe which is one of our all-time favorites. Quick and delicious.
    4 oz uncooked turkey breast salt & pepper ½ tsp olive oil 1 Tbsp white wine 1/3 cup chicken stock 1.5 tsp lemon juice 2 Tbsp shallots, minced pinch garlic powder 2 tsp capers 3 oz tomatoes, sliced ¼ cup brown rice
    Combine the wine, stock and lemon juice. Pound the turkey meat, if needed, to even out the thickness. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the turkey on both sides until cooked through, adding a little of the stock mixture if needed. Remove turkey to a plate and keep warm. Add the stock mixture and shallots to the pan along with the garlic powder, stirring up the brown bits on the pan. Cook down until only 3-4 tablespoons of sauce remain. Lastly add the capers. Warm the rice [if using cooked left-over rice] and slice the tomatoes. Plate the rice, drizzling 1 Tbsp sauce over it. Plate the turkey, pouring the remaining sauce on it. Plate the tomatoes.

STRAWBERRY-CHICKEN SALAD: 200 calories 8.3 g fat 4.8 g fiber 16.7 g protein 16 g carbs 110 mg Calcium PB GF Sometimes you go through the recipe drawer and look at all the clippings and photocopies, and wonder, “Where did these come from?” This is one of those recipes, but I think it might be from Eating Well. It is as delicious as it is lovely to look at.
    2 oz [½ cup] cubed cooked chicken breast ½ cup sliced strawberries ¼ cup kiwi, peeled and sliced 1.5 cups fresh spinach 1 Tbsp slivered almonds, toasted 1.5 tsp poppy seed dressing*** OR a red wine vinegar dressing with poppy seeds + a pinch of dried mustard added
    ***Poppy Seed Dressing – 2 tsp red wine vinegar 1 Tbsp olive oil pinch salt ½ tsp dried mustard 1 tsp poppy seeds Whisk together vigorously.
    Toss 1 and a half tsp of dressing with the spinach. Toast the almonds in a heavy dry skillet on the stove-top until just starting to brown. Plate the greens and arrange the chicken and fruit on top. Sprinkle with the nuts. A real hit in our family.

PORK PAD THAI: 265 calories 7.3 g fat 4.7 g fiber 20 g protein 28 g carbs 94.4 mg Calcium GF This is our son’s recipe, with a few tweeks by me to make it fit our calorie requirements. HINT: This makes enough for 2 [two] servings. Share with a friend or pack it up for a later lunch or dinner.
    1 oz asian noodles [I used buckwheat soba noodles] ½ tsp oil + 2-3 Tbsp water ½ cup onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped 2 cups sliced cabbage 1 cup mung beans or chopped celery 2 oz scallions [about 3], slice in 1” pieces 3 oz lean pork, cooked or raw, sliced into thin pieces about 1” square 6 oz sugar snap peas, cut in half cross-wise one 2-oz egg 2 Tbsp Thai fish sauce pinch hot pepper flakes 1 tsp sugar
    Heat a wok or large cast iron pan. Stirfry all the vegetables in the oil and 3 Tbsp water for 3 minutes, adding more water if the vegetables ever stop sizzling in the pan. Boil the noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse, and set aside. If using raw meat, add to cooking vegetables after 2 minutes. Add the raw egg to the pan of vegetables and scramble it in. If using cooked pork, add it with the noodles to the wok and stir over the heat to combine. Mix well as you add the fish sauce, the sugar, and red pepper flakes. Pass the Sriracha for added kick.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Let us know how you do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.