Starting the 5:2 for the first time this Thursday

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Starting the 5:2 for the first time this Thursday

This topic contains 55 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  fffrancesca 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 56 total)

• Hi,

I just wanted to check-in as a newbie to this forum and the 5:2. I need to shift 2 stone, but my main motive is longterm health. I want to get my waist back to a sensible size.

I have listened to the audio book and think that the best days for me would be Thursdays and Mondays. I teach, so on fast days I will probably have all my calories for breakfast and lunch.

I don’t know anyone else doing this, so I hope that I will find this forum a source of support and encouragement.

Good luck to all new starters!

Hi Ger and welcome:

Here is some information that may be helpful: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi simcoeluv,
    Thanks for this, it is very useful.

Hi Ger32,
    Having read the book, I’ll start tomorrow the 5:2 for the first time and I feel nervous. I’ve just measured how much I’m allowed to have for breakfast and got a bit of a fright!
    I need to lose about 8 kg, so similar weight to yours, and will also do Monday and Thursday.

Good luck!

Hi Francesca,

It is great to find somebody starting at the same time. I will wait until Thursday as I am going out for a meal with work tomorrow night.

I am nervous too. It’s because I know that it makes sense but I am not sure that I have the resolve to see it through.

What are you planning for breakfast? I am thinking of having an egg for breakfast on fast days.

Good luck tomorrow, remember you can eat your usual breakfast on Tuesday.

I miss breakfast and have lunch.

Hi Annette,

I think that is a great idea. I teach and I think that I would find it very difficult to go through the morning without food. We have 5 lessons before lunch.

I eat the evening before, have a cup of tea in the morning and then walk 45 minutes to work-much of it uphill to the school where I work. If you are busy it is much easier when you are fasting.Try it-take some fruit as back up. Sounds perfect if you have teach 5 lessons before lunch.

Wow Annette, that is amazing! I will try it when I build up my confidence. Thanks.

Hi Ger52,
    Thank you!
    I will have some muesli with a bit of milk (can’t have an egg in the morning for some reason), but want to wait as long as I can through the morning before I have it, a bit what Annette52 suggests. I’m usually not hungry when I wake up, so want to use it.
    I’ll then prepare 1 or 2 carrots for the day.
    And thank you for reminding me that I can have a normal breakfast on Tuesday – it’s a thought I’ll hang on to when things get tough… Just hoping that the day full of meetings will keep my head off food.

I just have to stop thinking about it and go for it! πŸ™‚

F

F, Good luck tomorrow, it’s only one day, you can do it!!! Ger

Ger & Francesca: you can do it! Just give it a start and keep hydrated. A good, positive attitude will help too. As Annette says, keep busy: correcting papers, cleaning the closets, walking. Protein keeps you full longer.

Tomorrow will be our Fast Day: cheese-baked eggs for breakfast, something with fish for dinner [haven’t decided yet — so many choices!]
    Let me know if you need recipes — I’ve got lots.

Hi. Another newbie here starting this week. I’m going to fast on Wednesday and Friday this week. Feeling positive and very encouraged by the success stories I’ve read on here.

fasting_me, thank you for the encouragement. I’m almost at the end of my first fasting day which is a big relief!
    Between 5 and 6pm was really the hardest time and had to have an early dinner but now it’s alright and I’ve really enjoyed my food!
    Being able to tell myself that tomorrow I’ll be able to eat normally is very helpful.

Tedbob, you can do it!

Ger52, I will be keeping you company on Thursday for my second day… And Annette is right, if you’re busy it’s easier.

F

Fasting_me : thank you for your encouragement. How do you make the baked egg and cheese?
    Tedbob : great to hear of other new starters. Will be thinking of you on Wednesday.
    Francesca : well done today!!! What did you have for dinner?

Ger, here are some of the baked egg and cheese recipes:

Chevre & Spinach Bake: 279 calories 7.3 g fat 2.9 g fiber 13.4 g protein 39 g carbs 230 mg Calcium PB GF This one is really delicious.
    1 two-oz egg 2 Tbsp cooked spinach, drained/squeezed and chopped [frozen works well, just be sure to thaw and drain it the night before] 2 tsp creamy chevre cheese lemon-dill seasoning + salt + pepper 2 oz pear OR 2 oz apple OR applesauce blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie, green smoothie or natural apple cider
    Combine the spinach, cheese, and seasonings. Whisk in the egg and pour into a lightly-oiled or spritzed ramekin. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes.

Cheesy-Bake: 248 calories 4.6 g fat 6.2 g fiber 12.1 g protein 40 g carbs 267 mg Calcium PB GF This is the baked version of a cheese omelette that thinks that it is a cheese souffle! Delicious.
    One 2-oz egg 1/2 oz cheddar cheese, grated 1 Tbsp reduced fat ricotta cheese 1/2 c raspberries [When I use frozen fruit, I portion it into its dish the night before, so it will be thawed by morning] Β½ oz apple, sliced blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon juice & hot water, 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or natural apple cider
    Spritz a ramekin with olive oil or non-stick spray. Set the toaster oven at 350 degrees F. Stir the two cheeses together with a fork until blended and whisk with the egg. Without waiting, pour into the ramekin and bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and beginning to brown.

Bleu Cheese Bake: 292 calories 7.3 g fat 2.3 g fiber 14.3 g protein 37 g carbs 250.7 mg Calcium PB GF You’ll go ga-ga over these flavors!
    1 two-oz egg ΒΌ oz bleu cheese, crumbly rather than creamy 1 Tbsp fatfree cottage cheese, drained 2 oz applesauce, unsweetened, with 2-3 raspberries mixed into it 5-6 oz green smoothie or fruit smoothie or natural apple cider. Black-ish coffee, black-ish tea, or lemon in hot water
    Mash the cheeses together with a fork and whisk in the egg. Bake in a lightly-spritzed ramekin at 350 degrees until cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.

We always have a home-made fruit smoothie at breakfast. If you don’t drink that, take 88 calories off the total. The meal will be lower in fiber and carbs, too.
    Hope you’ll enjoy these.

Welcome, Tedbob. That positive attitude will take you far.

ffrancesca, glad you got through the 1st day. Now you know you can do it.

Hi Ger52,

I had a bowl of celeriac and celery soup, 80g of smoked salmon and a small slice of pineapple.
    I must admit it was a bit difficult to fall asleep and i dreamt about food (!), but I felt alright today and felt more in control of what I should eat (e.g. no craving for sweets although a colleague had brought in magnificent cakes – didn’t touch them!).
    I’m also glad that I have another day to “recover” (not sure I’d have the strength to go through another fasting day tomorrow already). But I aim to ditch the muesli on Thursday and go for something more proteic like cottage cheese or an egg for breakfast.

The celeriac soup is good because if fills you and is not caloric at all. This is the recipe I use, just with olive oil instead of butter and no cream at all
    https://www.riverford.co.uk/ric/recipes/view/recipe/celeriac-and-celery-soup

Francesca

Hello Francesca,

Well done, you are a star and a great inspiration to me!! Just imagine if you were to keep this up for the next couple of months!!!

Ger πŸ™‚

Hello fasting_me

I am glad that I asked. I am looking forward to an interesting breakfast based on your cheesy-bake recipe. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your support to a newbie.

Ger πŸ™‚

Hi Ger,

good luck for tomorrow. I’m preparing myself and my food for my second day…

Fasting_me, thank you for the support. It’s good to know that it’s there!

Tedbob, how did it go today?

F

Francesca,
    Thanks for your support. I am looking forward to getting started tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    Good luck. G.

Good going, Everybody!
    As Scarlett O’Hara said, “Tomorrow is another day.” We’ll be Fasting in our house, getting rid of some birthday party weight. It was delicious, but away it goes.
    Happy Fasting tomorrow.

Francesca
    Thank you for asking.
    I decided to have my fast days on Mondays and Thursdays so have started today. Feeling fine so far and am not going to eat anything until this evening.

Hi all,

Ger and Tedbob, how’s your first day going?
    I’m feeling very motivated today: apart from a bad couple of hours around lunchtime and some slowness, I’ve been holding well. Not sure whether it’s because this time I’ve gone less carbs and more proteins or I’m already getting used to it or both but it now feels more manageable. Even with my family sitting in the kitchen munching away spaghetti with tuna next to me…! (I can have that tomorrow if I want to)

Hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you.
    F

Hi yall! Today is my first day of fasting too! I have a few coworkers who are doing it with me, so I imagine that will help. I’m glad this resource is here!

Hi AngiePee,

welcome to the mid-January starters! It’s great that some of your colleagues are fasting with you – I actually miss sharing the challenge which is why it’s so good to have this forum.

My boyfriend and I started today as well! I want to lose about a stone and a half and a stone for him. I was surprised at how well I coped today, I thought I would find working and concentrating harder than it was. The hardest time was definitely lunch (I only had breakfast and dinner) when I could smell the food other people were eating. So I took myself off for a walk outside as a distraction. I’m feeling more tired than usual but excited to eat breakfast in the morning. I hope I see a difference in the scales next week!

Thank you!

My only complaint so far is headaches – I am a little worried I will trigger a migraine with the fasting, but I have heard this goes away with time?

Welcome all new starters.

My first day, I caved in πŸ™

Welcome to AngieP & Scorpio. You CAN get through your 1st day, and by now you have. How did it go? Angie, I have heard of people who get headaches when Fasting, but I can’t advise you on that. Catnip tea helps people to relax.
    Scorpio, your idea of taking a walk away from the lunch smells was brilliant. Keep strategizing.

Yesterday was a good Fast Day for me. Breakfast was an egg scramble based on the flavors of Malta. It was really savory and delicious. Dinner was haggis spring rolls [NOT deep fried, but slowly cooked in a barely-oiled iron pan] with a flavorful salad. Husband liked them! Best news: I lost the 1.9 pounds which have been hanging on since New Year’s. Hooray! Got to be mindful today, too, so the weight doesn’t come bouncing back.

What did you eat yesterday, Ger? ffrancesa? tedbob?

Ger,

don’t despair! It may take some time to dive in. I was lucky because I could slow my activity down when I felt most tired, but I’m not sure I would have managed if my energy levels had been further depleted by strenuous activity (also mental one!).
    I was also wondering whether one could start more slowly rather than throwing oneself into the 500 a day in one go? I’ve read some posts about fasting with 800 calories instead of 500. Fasting_me, do you know anything more about that?
    Also, I find it helps greatly to drink lots of water after the food.

AngiePee, yes, I’ve also had a headache the first day, but it was much lighter the second. I found that drinking water or herbal tea helped to keep it under control.

ScorpioSerena, welcome to the group. I also found it difficult to see other people eating in the first FD. Much less so in the second. But who knows what the future holds… Two days are not enough to make me confident that it’s going to be less difficult…

Fasting_me, congratulations on the weight loss! I’m looking forward to looking at the scale on Monday. I’ve decided I’m going to believe anything the scale tells me only once a week!
    I had some cottage cheese with fresh mango for breakfast (I wouldn’t advise it though – didn’t like it but it filled me – next time I’ll try low fat fresh cream). For lunch I had some celeriac soup (low calories and yummy!) and 2 simple scrambled eggs for dinner. I could even afford a couple of almonds!
    I’ll have to investigate what my food will be for next week, but in the meantime I can relish a non-fasting weekend.

F

Thanks for the support everyone! I ended up taking a product called Sports Salts from Pure Planet (basically a powerful electrolyte in a pill), and I had 200 calories left to eat so I ate a piece of fish and riced cauliflower – I felt great for the rest of the night and woke up energized! I’m excited, and I can’t wait for my next fast day.

Francesca,
    Thanks for looking out for me.I am disappointed with myself but I will try again on Monday. I am very impressed with how you and others have done this week. You are all inspiring me.
    Ger πŸ™‚

Ger,
    don’t be disappointed! It’s hard work and requires a lot of energy, both mental and physical. I was exhausted on Monday and dreamt about food the whole night…
    But it helps to think it gets easier and that the day after you can eat normally.
    Just try and have as much protein and as little carbs as possible for breakfast. And some electrolytes ready as AngiePee suggests. I was also thinking about the electrolytes. We must ingest many more when we eat than when we fast, so it makes sense to have a supplement ready.

Enjoy the weekend and don’t get discouraged!

F

Ger, yes! you can try 800 calories/Fast Day. See how that works. Is the anticipation making it worse? Are you fearing the fasting? Drink water, distract yourself, set the timer, eat foods that are filling [ex: protein]

It does get easier as you go along! Eventually, if you let it, your appetite will decrease. I say ‘if you let it’ because many people eat for the wrong reasons [habit, stress, fear of hunger] and that is something which must be overcome.
    Happy weekend, everyone.

HI all

I started fasting before Christmas and lost 6lb but have lost my way over the Christmas period and finding it difficult to complete my fast days.
    One of my problems is my health, but another is I work nights in no particular pattern I have decide to allow myself 600-700 calories on fasting days to get me back into the habit then reduce it back to 500.

Listen to the advice from Fasting Me it is usually good and helpful

Francesca and fasting_me,

Thanks for your advice. It is not all bad news, I lost a pound last week. I think this is because I made most of the fasting day and I have been trying to eat less processed and sugary foods.

I have picked myself up and dusted myself down and am ready for a fasting day tomorrow.

Good luck to all tomorrow.

Ger.

Hi Francesca and fasting_me,

I did it today πŸ™‚

Going to bed very happy and not that hungry at all.

Good going, Ger — you have slain the dragon of the 1st day! Now that you know you can do it, it will be easier.

Thanks, Marion, for the vote of confidence. Today’s Fast was an easy one. Corned Beef & Cabbage Baked Egg: new and delicious. We both liked it. Feta Nicoise Salad for dinner: an old favorite and very flavorful. Filling, too! We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Angie, ffrancesca, Scorpio, tedbob: how was your Monday Fast? And what did you eat?

Yey Ger! This is great news. Amazing that you were not hungry.
    I’ve also had my 3rd day yesterday although I had a small relapse in the evening because of health reasons (bad shoulder pain – hence not writing much). But I think I stayed within 800, so not bad! And it was def easier than last week.
    So very encouraged.

Well done to all and thinking of you!
    F

I have decided to postspone fasting till the start of February I have had a severe flare up of all my joints which is very painful I am unable to move without being in pain, so fasting isn’t a priority at the moment. will try and be careful what I eat

Hi! Today is actually my second day – I’m doing Tues and Thurs for some reason. Today is going pretty well, I have a cold so I’m not very hungry anyway πŸ˜›

I love how mindful this is making me about eating – I didn’t realize how much I snack in the evening. I am also not as afraid of feeling hungry – I know I can get through it.

It’s so inspiring to see other folks here, with all the ups and downs of this change!

Sorry to hear about the pain Marion. I have a similar problem and it makes it really difficult to do anything else that requires energy or willpower. I hope you get better soon.

AngiePee, great to hear about your second day! And yes, this diet def helps being more mindful.
    I’ll be doing my fourth day tomorrow, unless the pain in my arm is too bad…

Keep on Trucking’, all you new and continuing Fasters. Tomorrow will be a great day to lose some weight.

Hi I’m a newbie to this having just started my second fast day I would like to lose 3 stones or 42lbs to any of our American friends and finding it easier so far on a water fast with the tiniest splash of milk in my coffee.

Yes fasting_me, ready for tomorrow although I haven’t had the chance to prep myself (my food), so a bit worried that I may cave in. however I saw last week that even if I do, I still keep it within 700/800 cal, which isn’t too bad.
    I lost 1.5 kg so far. Not too bad and a good motivator.

Typh00, welcome to the “club”. Liquorice tea also helps a lot to calm down the hunger.

Ger, hope all is well.

Thanks fffrancesca I’m now 20hrs into my fast but feeling pretty good. I think one of the good things about this way of eating is two days a week I get time off from doing the dishes πŸ˜‰.

That’s another advantage!
    Also, 2 days a week of basically no cooking (I try to prepare stuff in advance on the weekend not to be tempted in the kitchen…).

I ended up taking last Thursday off as I was sick πŸ˜” I’m back on again this week!

Fffrancesca – right, I’ve saved so much money not buying lunch or snacks for 2 days at work!

Hi everyone. I am posting for the first time in this forum, but it’s the second time for trying out this diet. I lost 20lbs 3 years ago doing this, but sadly it’s almost all crept back on. I have done 2 800 calorie days last week and now on a fast day today. How many of you have had success with 800 calories, 500 calories is very hard I find at times. Thanks

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply.