Started 5:2 – weight gain!!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Started 5:2 – weight gain!!!

This topic contains 72 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  stevelyn12 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 75 total)

• Started the 5:2 diet about 10 days ago. Had 3 fast days so far. My BMI is 31.6, my TDEE is 1988 and my BMR 1657. I have religiously monitored and counted calories each day and (a) on my non-fast days I average 1370 cals/day (b) on my fast days I average 85 cals/day. I have also (slightly) increased the amount I walk on a daily basis. I have cut down on sugar and have no snacks in between meals. Despite all of this I have GAINED a pound!!! What on earth is going on? I had no expectation of significant weight loss but to have gained a pound seems ridiculous particularly as I am not really eating a significant amount (in my opinion) anyway.

hi Ihateveg and welcome to the forum

don’t be too downhearted and keep going, 1 lb isn’t much and you can loose it just as easily give it a bit more time as 10 days isn’t very long and your body is probably still getting used to it..

good luck and hang in there 🙂

ihateveg – if you’re averaging 1370 kcal intake on non-fastdays then you are still undereating by almost 300 calories below your BMR. NEVER EVER eat less than your BMR on a non-fastday. Treat the fastdays however you like, you don’t have to restrict to less than 500 but if you want to that’s fine as long as you’re eating up to AT LEAST your BMR on non-fastdays.

Your non-fastday target should be somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE numbers and if you’ve been undereating for a long time you can expect it to take a while for your body to recover enough to come out of starvation (“let’s save everything we possibly can”) mode.

If I were you I think I’d aim for at least a week of eating almost right up to my TDEE level (without any fast days) just to kick start your body’s recovery.

Good luck.

You’re not eating enough based on your TDEE and BMR. If I were you, based on your TDEE I’d stick to around that on non fast days and you can still safely go up to 500 cals on fast days.

Hi ihateveg, hang in there, you will be so pleased when you start dropping the weight, Angie090465 is right, your body takes a while to adjust and once it has you will be very pleased.

@ihateveg ..you say ‘ I am not really eating a significant amount (in my opinion) anyway.’….and therein is the problem IMO. As Tracy says, if your BMR is 1657 this is the amount your body needs to survive – i.e. if you do nothing but lie in bed all day. You really need to eating more than this on your non fast days….maybe try to eat around 1750 cals on these days. It takes a while for your body to adjust to this new way of eating, especially if you haven’t been eating enough, and we don’t all see immediate results. 10 days is possibly not long enough for you to see this. Have you taken measurements chest/waist/hips …it may be you will see difference there if not in your weight.

hang on in there and give it more time but do increase your non fast day calories.

xx

Thx. Before I started, my typical daily intake was around 1200 cals and advice received on a previous post similarly told me to increase my calories up to my BMR figure of 1657. I have started to do this (as well as other things like reducing sugar intake) which is why my overall average (from the start) is now up to 1370 (on one or two days recently my intake was 1500-1600). However it takes some nerve to eat more as it seems counter intuitive. My concern was that having done this I have put on a pound and I was worried that the additional calories have contributed to that and that if I increase further still to get up to a daily 1650 intake this will add even more weight. A bit of a leap of faith I suppose!

As it has been said already: on non fast days you have to eat between your BMR and TDEE or your body goes into starvation mode, your metabolic rate slows down and you burn less (!) calories!

Your body will try to hang on to fat!

Give it a try and it should work.

Best of luck
    Stef.

Just dropping by to sympathise, ihateveg.

If you ever talk to anyone who is stick-thin and never had a weight problem, they really do not understand, but we do, we REALLY DO.

The advice you have been given seems sound (however unnerving) – it’s worth a couple of weeks trying, right?

My thoughts are with you!
    Aud x

Hi:

Your body weight can vary two or three pounds a day (either way) as a result of water retention or dehydration. Given the numbers you gave, you might expect to lose about two pounds a week. If your initial weigh in was on a day when you were not retaining water, and your next weigh in was on a day when you were retaining water, you could easily see a weight gain of one or two pounds. But, you would have lost about two pounds of fat. Just keep going and you will see weight loss soon.

As for ‘starvation mode’, I suggest you check out the FAQ. You will see you need to not eat for a long, long time before you need to worry about that.

Good Luck!

simcoeluv – “As for ‘starvation mode’, I suggest you check out the FAQ. You will see you need to not eat for a long, long time before you need to worry about that.”

Agreed, which is why we don’t usually just go ahead and assume that that is the problem when people start complaining about not losing weight on 5:2. However, on this and other threads ihateveg has made it clear that they have indeed been undereating for quite some considerable time. This IS a case of ‘starvation mode’. ihateveg needs to ‘normalise’ before there’s any chance of starting to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way.

Hi ihateveg,

Just dropping by to see how you are doing

Aud x

After 4 weeks on this diet I can report that I am still not losing any weight but have gained 1 or 2 lbs! I have tried increasing my calorie intake (in line with advice on this site) and have got up to an average of 1730 (non-fast days) and 200 (on fast days) – mainly fluids & fruit. I have no snacks between my 3 meals a day; I have cut down on sugar and I have also increased my daily activity from less than 1 mile walking to just over 3 miles a day. Still no weight loss despite all this effort! Have been to my GP in the past couple of days and talked it over. Now have blood tests scheduled in 2 weeks time to see if I have an under-active thyroid (both my Mum and Grandfather had this condition).

Good Morning, ihateveg,

How disheartening to have not lost but potentially gained, and it sounds like you are trying hard to take advice and get every aspect right *hugs* I’d be interested to hear what your doc has to say, if you want to share what he or she says with us. I also have an under-active thyroid and have just had my meds put up; my body seems to have chucked its teddy bear in the corner over this and I’m waiting for it to get a grip.
    Plateaus are so boring, but there’s plenty on here surfing along with you.
    Good luck!

Aud x

I gained weight in the 2nd/3rd week, lost centimetres but not weight in the 4th. Lost rings during the 5th/6th cos my fingers were slimmer and then in the day before my 6th week weigh in (was going away for the weekend so a day early)dropped the weight I’d gained and the day after ie 6w1d dropped 2 lb.

It sucks to gain weight and 99.9% of those who say they hit a plateau too, hit that plateau *after* losing some weight.

My advice is to try to stick with it, even if you’re very disappointed. There are other people on this site who didn’t lose to start with, or like us gained a little (I went up 2.2kg!) before starting to lose.

For myself I think it’s cos my body hit starvation mode in the 5 months I had to wait for gallbladder surgery – I simply couldn’t eat up to BMR let alone TDEE. I just couldn’t face another couple of pieces of steamed/poached white fish a day (and yes I’m a bit bitter about 147 days only eating white fish, pickles, berries). I think its taken the six weeks for my body to reset back to normal. I’ve tried to not eat exactly the same cals on my 5 days, but have 4 slightly less and 1 @300cal more day.

I am lucky I guess. I’d never really bothered with diets before 5:2, as I was resigned to being naturally but at last consistantly big, so I’ve never fallen into ‘starvation mode’ in the first place. It must be very disheartening to start a new regime and gain weight. Even when you know on a rational level that it kind of has to happen in order to prepare your body for what comes next.

A lot of new folks (presumably they’re not ALL starting out in starvation mode) also report static or slight increases in weigt to start with. All those who’ve been doing it a while will recognise that as the effects of no visceral fat to be reduced and a bit of conversion from fat to muscle but the scales are harsh masters and don’t usually share the inner workings of what lays behind the numbers.

I can fully expect to put a bit on before my next monthly weigh in, as I’ve just upped my exercise scedule dramatically but at least I know it’s likely and am ready for the ‘dreaded numbers’.

Good luck ihateveg, I hope you and your doctor can narrow down the cause of your issues and find a plan that works. I am still of the opinion that you are still suffering the effects of long-term under-eating but I’m glad you have sought out some real-world support and are getting some tests. Hopefully this is the start of a new chapter for you.

Hi – I only found out about this fast diet this weekend, sounds very good. I have’nt looked at the book just looked up the internet. Maybe you could answer a few queries please, i see abrievations everywhere — what do they mean TDEE-BMR. I see that for a male it is below 600 calories on fast day made up of plant/protein. I would probably need to get the books especially the food one, to ensure correct amounts. Could I for example have a bowl of porridge morning and evening with a coffee each time, I know this sounds boring but it would be convient and come in under the calorie count. I can vary with egg, bannana, fish etc but am just interested to see if a variety is important. Where is the best place to start–is it 2 meals a day-breakfast at 8 with as long a fast as possible- second meal at 7 evening and then nothing till I start a regular day the next morning? if you had a few do’s adn don’t what woudl they be; appreciate if you answer these–maybe there is a central query forum I should have accessed ??

@golf – the other page on the website it might be a good idea to read is
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/

There’s a link to that in my notes, arla. It’s very useful.

xx

great post @sylvestra – the FAQ answers the porridge question under
    “What are the best foods for fast days?
    •The Fast Diet book contains lots of recipes, the Fast Diet Recipe book has even more. The basic principle is to eat foods that are high in protein and fibre, as these are the most satiating. That means fish, meat, vegetables”

And best foods is very personal. Some people find eggs useful and tofu – me not so much.

@arla you’re right about ‘best foods’ I can’t eat eggs and tofu? hmmm – I’ll pass on that thanks. I don’t eat much meat – just chicken occasionally – but I love fish and shellfish and I avoid ‘white’ carbs as much as possible. I find they ‘bloat’ me and just make me feel uncomfortable.

I eat oats, lentils, beans, wild and brown rice and loads of veggies plus some fruit. Because most of the foods I eat are quite low calorie I often find I don’t eat enough calories on non fast days. Sometimes I get to around 8pm and find I haven’t reached my BMR never mind my TDEE!! That’s when I eat fruit!!

xx

I’ve never really looked into ‘the best’ foods to eat on fast or non-fastdays myself. For me the whole point has been that this lifestyle does not become something ‘new, different or strange’ compared with my ‘normal’ diet. I eat the same stuff I always ate, I just paid a bit more attention to the calorie counts for a while at the beginning. I don’t think my composition of protein vs fiber vs carbs has changed that much at all in the past 18 months and I don’t miss anything because I haven’t cut anything out. For me, all of that equals long-term sustainability but that’s also the good thing isn’t it – it’s whatever works for you.

Your right Tracy – it’s definitely about whatever works for you and that’s what’s great about this WOE.

“What are the best foods for fast days? is a question from the ‘faq’ link. But ‘best’ is a very individual thing. So ‘best in terms of nutrition’ might be closer, – I don’t eat anything I haven’t always eaten either.

I have cut down on ‘white’ carbs over the last few years. Maybe it’s an age thing, I don’t know, but I was finding that, although they are filling I was uncomfortable after eating them – full, but sort of ‘stodgy’ full. I have certainly found losing weight slightly easier since I did this so obviously my body was trying to tell me something to which I eventually listened.

xx

@tracyj Totally agree! The whole reason I chose this diet was that I could continue to eat what I wanted but just manage portion size. All other diets are not sustainable for me! That being said I have actually cut down on sugar and I do tend to eat just three times a day on non-fast days so I have made some changes! My biggest issue is that I’ve been on this diet for over a month and I’m now gaining weight (roughly 1 lb every week). Before I started this diet my weight was very high but at least it was stable! I have increased my non-fast day intake to around 1700 cals (fast days around 140) and I am walking in average 6-7 times further than I ever used to (from around 0.5 to over 3 miles/day) . It makes no sense whatsoever!

ihateveg – I know it must be so frustrating for you. I hope your doctor can help identify where the problem is for you. If they can get you on a set of ‘body composition’ scales regularly I think that would be a MUCH better indicator (than weight) of the changes that are taking place in your body. From the information about your increased exercise I’d be VERY surprised if you weren’t starting to replace fat with muscle.

From what you’ve said here and on other threads, it does sound like your body’s taken a battering in the lead up to 5:2 and will probably take some time to have a ‘weight reaction’ like others here are lucky enough to notice straight off. I so hope you get to the bottom of these issues and get to turn a positive corner. Best of luck with it.

Just had blood test results back from surgery. All perfectly normal! No thyroid issues – in fact everything is perfectly normal!. Still not lost ANY weight after six weeks. The only saving grace is that my cholesterol levels have plummeted from abnormal (around 7.5) to perfectly normal (4.0). GP has advised me to come off the 5:2 diet as it clearly isn’t working for me (I’d have expected some good news after six weeks!) . He has advised me NOT to fast anymore but to reduce my calorie intake from 1600 cals (on non-fast days) to 1200 cals EVERY day and see if that helps. He suspects the fasting is counter productive in my case and making my body hold on the fat it has. So – a new regime from today! I will see how this change in approach works.

Best of luck ihateveg, I hope that works for you and you still retain the cholesterol benefits. Do let us know how you get on, I know you won’t be fasting anymore and might not feel like ‘one of us’ but you are and I’m sure I speak for everyone else too when I say we care that you find something that works for you.

Hi:

It is hard to ignore the advice of a doctor, especially when 5:2 has not been working.

But it has not been working because you have been eating too many calories.

First, I would guess the TDEE you computed for yourself was too high. I would try this link, put in sedentary, and see what you get: http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calculator/ITT-20084939

This works with any diet, not just 5:2, so you will be able to see how much weight you might expect to lose under your new, but standard, low calorie diet.

Second, I noticed you actually started eating more calories. You will not lose weight by eating more calories, any more than you will gain weight by eating fewer calories.

I would give 5:2 a chance. Compute your new TDEE, and eat 500 or fewer on your diet days, and around your TDEE on non-diet days. Many people under estimate their caloric intake, so keep close track for one week to confirm you are actually eating to the level you think you are (after that you should be OK to estimate.) Give it at least a month or more before you decide.

Here are some tips that might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

There is a small but definite set of people who have been doing it “right” and have not lost weight and @ihateveg could well be in it. A fabulous improvement on your cholesterol levels though!

Hi simcoeluv. Tried the link you supplied and that gave me a figure of 1700. That is similar to the Forum’s calculation of 1657 and my own set of scales which give me a figure of 1734. In other words all these sources say my BMR is between 1650 and 1750. I have been religiously weighing food and counting calories for EVERYTHING I eat (quite easy as I only have 3 meals a day) and I have been averaging 1600 cals/day with 200 cals/day on my fast days. So I am NOT eating too many cals as you suggest but have been consuming slightly less than my BMR (even less than my TDEE – remember I am walking 4.5 miles every day) and fasting two days as well. Overall consumption for the week is c 8400 cals. If I try this new regime where I eat c1200 cals/day this works out the same ie 8400/week it just doesn’t use fasting as a technique. IF this works and I do start to lose weight then I might consider 5:2 at some future date because being able to eat around 1500-1600 cals on some days allows me more flexibility in what I eat as 1200 every day may be more challenging (just had Porridge Oats for breakfast and that was just under 300 cals – leaving me just 900 for lunch and dinner! And I am going out for dinner tomorrow so that will be interesting!

I can only assume that either (a) all these BMR calculations do not accurately reflect my actual BMR – and that my actual BMR is a lot less than 1700 or (b) the fast days are telling my body to hold on to fat stores. Either way, after 6 weeks I think that is a suitable trial period and if I haven’t lost any weight something is not working (for me at least!). Although I am suspending 5:2 I will probably look in after a month and let you know how I have got on. Fingers crossed!

NB I am really pleased with my cholesterol levels so it hasn’t been a complete waste of time. It has also opened my eyes to exactly how many cals are in some foods!

Dear ihateveg,

I think you’ve given it a good darn go and I applaud you for that.
    Well done on your cholesterol levels, that’s fantastic.

I think we must be similar in that my TDEE also came out in your range – I *definitely* put weight on if I eat that much so I sympathise. I’ve been plateauing since Christmas despite going to 4:3 & getting a little discouraged but started exercising now so I’ll try with renewed enthusiasm.

I wish you well and appreciate you coming on and telling us how it went and ALL THE BEST with what the doc advises, do pop back and say hello?

Aud x

Hi, I started this fast diet 3 weeks ago, today is the start of week 4.

I am disappointed as I have not lost any weight, I have been very good on my fast days and spread my meals out so I am eating little and often with the 500 calories I have. I have been drinking more water on my fast days that on my normal days.

On my normal (feast days) I am not even reaching my 2000 calorie allowance, as I am really trying hard so barely reach my 1500 calories mark.

I don’t have sugar in my drinks and I always opt for no added sugar and often go for healthier versions of puddings. I haven’t eaten crisps for over a month now. I am sticking to soup for my evening meals on my fast days.

Where am I going wrong? Have I missed something about the diet? Any guidance or advice would be appreciate, I have heard so many good things about this diet, so why is it not working for me? Feeling very deflated.

Pam

Hi pkk0102, not sure if your 2000 & 1500 numbers are your TDEE & BMR or not? If they are great, if not: go to the ‘How’ tab above and work out your actual individual numbers.

You’re looking for BMR and TDEE. You should aim to hit comfortably between those 2 figures on your non-fastdays and 25% of the TDEE or 500 calories on your fastdays (I would say whichever is higher of the 2 but that’s just me – comfort is king for me in this lifestyle).

I’d also recommend (this is just my preference) saving your calories for 1 or maybe 2 meals later in the day, rather than spreading them too thin. You’ll find you can ignore hunger a lot longer if you don’t ‘break the seal’ too early.

Also, check your measurements. LOTS of people don’t lose weight right away but do lose inches. Just as LOTS of people lose the weight but no inches (that was me).

Give it another month before you start worrying too much, the first few weeks are just an opportunity to fine-tune your lifestyle and get comfy with the new way of life.

Hi pkk0102. Your story sounds very similar to my own and, yes, it can get very demoralising when you make all this effort and see no results! You don’t mention how much exercise you do – I would try increasing that in conjunction with the diet. As you may have seen, I have just ‘parked’ the 5:2 diet as (after 6 weeks of religiously following it) it was doing nothing for me. I wasn’t losing weight or inches!. On the advice of my GP I have stopped and reduced my intake to c1200/day EVERY day ie a low, but consistent, intake. My GP thinks that my body was storing fat BECAUSE of the fasting. He also thinks age is a factor ie the older you are the harder it is to lose weight particularly if you have been overweight for a long time. However, having said all that, I would probably give it a couple more weeks (say after 2 months) just to make sure you have had a good try and then review again.

Thank you TracyJ and ihateveg, your comments have given me a push to not loose hope.

I have hardly been doing much exercise apart from a long walk after a long work day. I try and take the dog for a walk where possible. (we are trying for a baby as well and need to loose weight so I have better chances, so scared to exercise too much in case it works).

I didn’t look into the BMR and TDEE calculations maybe that’s where I went wrong, I will check tonight and work it out. Although on my feast days I have been very watchful of what I do eat and count everything. I am definitely more conscious of what I put in my mouth.

I will take measurements and then see how I progress. Don’t want to give up just yet as I feel that I am not really on a diet, even though in a way I am.

On Monday, I missed breakfast completely and age my first portion of fruit at 11.30am. Although my colleagues at work were suggesting I should not be missing breakfast as that is the most important meal of the day. But on this diet does this apply as we are only dieting 2 days a week?

I really appreciate your comments and replies, they have helped and it is nice to get a response from someone who understands.

Hiya,
    Re: “colleagues at work were suggesting I should not be missing breakfast as that is the most important meal of the day. But on this diet does this apply as we are only dieting 2 days a week?”

There will be people on here that don’t ‘believe in’ starvation mode as a concept but I do, despite never having experienced it myself and others on here have experienced it first hand and those who have been under eating long-term prior to starting 5:2 do tend to have a harder time getting anywhere with 5:2.

So that all being said; I know where your colleagues are coming from and they’re just watching out for you (re: starvation mode) but 2 days a week wont hurt at all if you miss breakfast and/or lunch, so just break your fastday calories up however will work best for you. Personally I eat 1 meal of 500 calories really late on my fastdays and just have water prior to that – no problem whatsoever once you get used to it.

The important thing (and this is where the ‘starvation mode non-believers’ would disagree with me) is to make sure you eat more than your BMR and less than or equal to your TDEE on non-fastdays if you are trying to lose weight. I am of the opinion that, if you eat less than your BMR then it’s not just ‘messing about with meal timings’ it is actually depriving the body of the minimum calorie requirements it needs and not just twice a week (which shouldn’t do any damage) but REGULARLY. I think if you eat too few calories too regularly, your body will do everything it can to hang on to your fat, assuming that it’s in the middle of some kind of famine. 5:2 works because you have short ‘lean’ periods during your week but the body never has to deal with more than 1 ‘lean’ day at a time and is ‘properly’ fed the next day – it doesn’t ‘think’ it’s about to starve to death and so it doesn’t hang on to your fat reserves.

If you follow the plan then you ‘should’ lose about 1lb per-week. However everyone is different and rates fluctuate wildly between individuals and as discussed, some lose weight while others lose inches and some take a while to lose anything at all but may still get all of the health benefits.

As long as you are heading downwards week-on-week, after you’ve given it a good month of doing it properly, then I would recommend that you just concentrate on getting comfy with the lifestyle and doing it right (for you) and don’t freak out too much if you’re not losing quite as fast as you think you should be.

Putting my hand up here for the “experienced starvation mode first hand”. Personally I think everyone has the potential for starvation mode, but some people get there more quickly than others.

Just as some people lose weight more quickly than others. At some point everyone plateaus – even on Alternate Day Fasting!! – and again everyone reacts differently. Some think the diet is a complete failure and give up, others mix up what they’re doing, and others just keep doing the same thing and start losing again.

Hi:

There is no such thing as a starvation mode for people that have a body fat level of above 5%. That is not a belief or an opinion, it is a clinical trial proven fact.

The ‘starvation mode’ happens when the body, because of calorie deprivation, significantly reduces its metabolism rate. Research conducted in 1950 took a group of healthy men and put them on a diet equaling one-half of their TDEE for six months. In addition, they had to walk 22 miles a week. Detailed measurements of their metabolism rates were taken constantly throughout the six month period.

Their metabolism rates fell slightly as their weight decreased, as most people on this site understand. However, they continued to lose weight at an expected rate over time – until they hit the 5% body fat level, when the real starvation mode kicked in. At that point, their metabolism rates decreased by 40% as their bodies tried to reduce the amount of muscle (like the heart) they were eating to stay alive. Even after this point, however, they continued to lose weight, but just not as fast as before. So even after their metabolisms slowed 40% they continued to lose weight at a calorie level of half their TDEEs.

I’m sure someone wrote a book sometime saying that the reason for what are called plateaus is that dieters were eating too few calories, but the book was wrong. The body does not drastically reduce its metabolism when calories are restricted – it burns fat for fuel instead and keeps going as usual until the danger of death from starvation arrives.

The FAQs at the top of the page were not answered by uninformed or ignorant people. They state that the starvation mode is a myth. It is.

Perhaps you’ve not heard of the research in adaptive thermogenesis? Research has continued since the 1950s.

Arla:

Perhaps I have.

And perhaps it really doesn’t matter if you believe in it or not.

Perhaps it’s just important for people not to feel like they’re on yet another bloody ‘diet’ and ‘somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE’ is much more reasonable and doable for most newbies to get their heads around and stick to.

Tracy:

I understand your thought process and admire your concern that a dieter might not keep at it if it is too hard. I, too, am concerned that those finding 5:2 may give up and in doing so reject the most effective weight loss diet I have ever seen. But I disagree with your concept that a person that is earnestly, and maybe desperately, trying to lose weight and not being successful should consume more calories as a cure. If consuming more calories caused weight loss, no one would be fat.

My opinion, based on all of my training and research, is really basic – a person has to eat less than their TDEE to lose weight. If a person is eating less than their TDEE but not losing weight, and the lack of weight loss is over a period of a month or less, the failure to lose weight is probably water weight related. That is why so many people recommend that a person also measure – people often find that while they are not losing weight, they are losing inches. The measurement loss represents fat loss, while the lack of weight loss represents water retention. At some point, the fat weight loss overwhelms the water weight retention and scale weight loss resumes. This usually happens within a month.

If, however, a person is on a diet (any calorie restricted diet, not just 5:2) and does not lose weight for over a month ‘while doing everything right’, they are, by definition, eating to their TDEE (or more). To resume (or start) their weight loss, they need to eat less than they have been eating.

One basic problem that causes this issue is how to accurately determine your TDEE. A person plugs their numbers into a TDEE calculator an gets a number. The problem is that any TDEE calculator can be wrong for any given individual, sometimes by quite a bit. The debate about ‘adaptive thermogenesis’ (‘AI’) is really a debate about the level of a person’s TDEE. The concept argues that a person that has lost quite a bit of weight actually takes on a metabolism level lower than any TDEE calculator would predict.

However, there is no scientific evidence that AI prevents weight loss. Unfortunately, there are tens of millions of people losing weight and then starving to death that prove that point. AI, if it exists and affects a person, simply reduces their TDEE to a level lower than a similar sized/active person that is not affected by it. As a result, the AI affected person has to eat even fewer calories to attain their desired weight loss.

It is sad but true that the human body is really quite efficient and does not need a tremendous number of calories to operate. When placed in a situation common in the developed world where eating and drinking have become part of a person’s entertainment, rather than just what a person does to survive, it is easy to see why weight gain has become such a problem. And why weight loss seems so hard.

So my position is that weight loss is hard. It requires that a person eat much less than they are used to eating. Maintaining weight loss is even harder, because it takes much less food than we would like to eat to not regain lost weight. Weight loss is also slow. Regardless of the headlines, it is very difficult for any person to consistently over time lose much more than a pound a week, and the numbers show that females have an even harder time losing that much because of their lower TDEEs. So I try to temper expectations of rapid weight loss and prepare a newbie for the long haul. I’ve been doing 5:2 for almost a year, and I know it will be at least another year before I get to where I want to be. 5:2 is a diet that allows me to know that it will happen if I don’t quit. And by letting me eat the foods I want to eat in normal amounts five days a week, it is the easiest diet I have ever found not to quit.

That is the point. Do 5:2 properly, and don’t quit. A year from now you will wish you started today.

Sorry for Ask,

ihateveg you are male or female?

Because if you are a female and like you say, you take your measures and 10 days later, you check your weight and was 1 lb up, that could be just because you are in a diferent day of your menstruation, lot of girls gain about half o 1 kilo along the month (water retention in most) Just another clue

Hi Simcoeluv, I have no argument with anything you said above and never have had. I don’t advocate that anyone overeat in order to lose weight. I ALWAYS say ‘comfortably between your BMR and TDEE’ on non-fastdays for weight loss. I accept that the TDEE calculator may be wrong for ‘some’ individuals, like poor Arla or Ihateveg maybe(?), although without being a doctor or nutritionist I wouldn’t like to speculate in their cases, as there are probably other complications and contributing factors.

However, MOST people will be fine following that advice and using the calculator on this site.

My issue is with advocating that people should eat below their BMR to lose weight. I don’t think that is helpful to anyone, especially newbies starting out and that is why I try to curb people who come on here and think that that is the route to quicker weight loss. Whether it is or not is irrelevent, very overweight individuals will drop a lot of weight anyway just by following the BMR-TDEE advice and everyone else would find the whole lifestyle so much healthier and more manageable if they didn’t treat it like a bikini diet.

I think we probably agree on most of this, so I’m going to go away and stop repeating myself constantly about it.

I hope no-one minds me popping on to wish pkk0102 to wish you all the best with you trying for a baby, what an inspirational reason to try to lose weight, GOOD LUCK

Aud x

Just checking in! Its been a month now since I stopped 5:2 and went on a 1200 cals/day diet (on the advice of my GP) as I hadn’t lost any weight at all in six weeks of 5:2. Since then I have been averaging around 1150 cals every day and have lost 9lbs in 4 weeks at a fairly constant 2lbs/week loss. So (at last!) the weight is starting to shift. My scales also report reduction in body fat% (around 12% of what I was to start with) together with a corresponding increase of around 13% in muscle%. I’ve also lost around 1-2 inches from my waist. So all in all I’m pleased that I’m finally heading in the right direction and finally my BMI has reduced from obsese to overweight!. My goal is to lose 2.5 stone and to get my BMI in the normal range so I still have a long way to go but I’m determined to get there/

ihateveg:

You now know two things. That if you average eating 1150 calories a day you will lose weight. And that you were not averaging 1150 calories a day on 5:2 (or you would have been losing weight).

It is good that you found a diet that works for you.

I also know not to put too much faith in BMR calculators! At the start of 5:2 my BMR was around 1650 and I was consuming around 300 cals LESS than this. I recorded absolutely everything I ate/drank and even weighed portions so, provided the calorie figures shown on packets/tins and online food databases were correct, I’m pretty confident my recorded calorie intake was as accurate as it could be. The perceived wisdom at the time was that my intake was way too low so I gradually increased it by around 350 cals to slightly exceed the BMR figure (but less than TDEE). This still didn’t help ( I initially put on weight slightly) and after 6 weeks of no overall loss at all I stopped. Having since reduced my consumption to 1150/day with no fasting ie 200 cals less than the very start, I am finally starting to lose weight. I can therefore only assume that in my own case my actual metabolic rate is several hundred points lower than what all the online calculators are telling me.

ihateveg:

You have proven my point that when a person is on any weight loss diet and not losing weight for over a month, they are eating too many calories (point made above in several ways). If you figured out the numbers and ate the same number of calories per week as you are now but on 5:2, you would achieve similar results to what you are now enjoying but be able to eat more than 1150 a day for 5 days a week. The only way any weight loss diet works is through calorie restriction. 5:2 just allows the dieter to eat more on non-diet days, which for some people is easier than eating less every day of the week.

Again, congratulations on finding a diet that works for you and I hope you achieve your weight loss goal.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply.