Some Notes on the Fast Diet for newbies

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sylvestra 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• I’ve created these notes because the same questions come up time after time on the forums – it may be the design of the site but there isn’t an obvious ‘READ THIS FIRST’ link – if anyone wants to copy and paste anything from here, please go ahead

If you are pregnant; breast feeding, a teenager or suffer from (or have ever suffered from) an eating disorder then this way of eating is not for you.

If you have any medical condition for which you are current receiving treatment, consult your medical practitioner before commencing the Fast Diet.

If you are looking for a ‘quick fix’ – this is not the weight loss plan for you.

This isn’t a ‘quick fix’ in terms of weight loss or health although some people do see differences quite quickly. It’s about making a fairly radical, complete change to your way of eating and of thinking about food, resulting in long term better health and weight

Read the ‘faq’ link and the ‘how?’ link at the top of the page in the Fast Diet forums.

In the ‘how?’ link calculate your BMR and TDEE and read the explanation of why you should know this.

It’s advised to have 2 non consecutive fasting days. This is just to make it easier and more sustainable.. but if you feel at any time that 2 consecutive days will work for you – go for it.

The main thing about this way of eating is that you fit it in to your lifestyle. You do it the way it works for you. And on non fast days it’s about eating WHAT you want NOT HOW MUCH you want.

Aim to be ABOVE your BMR and UP TO your TDEE on non fast days. It can help to use an app like http://www.myfitnesspal.com to help you track calories for a couple of weeks so you can get an idea of portion sizes etc. It’s only too easy to underestimate calorie values!!

Whether you do 5:2; 4:3; or ADF (alternate day fasting) is entirely up to you. I sometimes set out to do a 4:3 week and something comes up and I end up with a 5:2 or if I have done 2 fast days I’ll add another as the mood take me. If you plan to fast on two particular days and something happens on one of the days – do it another day. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way –just YOUR way.

Your first fast days will test you but you are not going to drop down from starvation because you have only eaten 500 calories in ONE day. It does get easier as you go on.

On fast days, what you might think is hunger is more often thirst so drink lots water, herbal teas, black coffee or tea. If you don’t like your tea or coffee black just make sure that you account for any milk or sugar in your 500/600 cals.

What you think is hunger too, is often ‘clock conditioning’ – if you always have meals at certain times then when that time comes you’re going to think ‘breakfast!’; ‘lunch!’ or ‘dinner!’. It’s your head telling you that not your body!! It’s habit and habits can be broken.

Some people feel a bit strange on their first fast days and its often a good idea to spread your 500 cals over three small meals to begin with until your body adjusts. Then move on to lunch and dinner (which will give you an 18 hour fast) and, if you want to, move to just one meal of up to 500 cals at dinner time (this will give you a 24 hour fast) Whichever way you do this is up to you there is no ‘right’ way or ‘wrong’ way – it’s YOUR way.

Take your measurements at the start…chest/waist/hips. Sometimes when you don’t see a weight loss you see an inch loss!

Don’t look for spectacular weight loss all the time – it’s about fastING not fastER!

After your first one or two fast days you may a see a big loss – this will be mostly water and you may not see much further loss and you may even see a slight gain until your body ‘settles in’ to this way of eating.

With any weight loss programme there is nearly always a good loss at the beginning (a water loss). Then the body seems to say ‘oy, what’s going on?’ and hang on to the weight for a bit before you start to lose again.

It can take up to a month for things to settle to a regular weight loss – around 1 lb (0.5kg) a week is the average quoted although everyone is different. If you don’t have much to lose then your weight loss is likely to be slower. It’s also a fact that men lose weight faster than women. (Sometimes life just isn’t fair!)

It is also a fact that the body can retain water for a variety of reasons. Eating too many salty foods is one example – but women’s bodies are strange and do their own thing so that gain could just be water if you’re doing everything else right.

Those with a large amount 6 stones/84lbs/40kg or more will lose a good amount in the first few weeks/months. As you get nearer your target weight, your weight loss will slow down.

It’s also a case of simple maths that you will weigh less after a fast day and then show a gain after the next non fast day. This is normal.

Exercise is not mandatory but if you are able and can fit some in this will aid weight loss.

As you lose weight you feel better and are often able to do more and more.

It is reported that fasting can have a beneficial effect on blood pressure; cholesterol; diabetes; arthritis – and people who do 5:2/4:3/ADF have noticed this – but it will depend on the individual.

Once you get your head round it, it becomes second nature and very easily sustainable and sustainable indefinitely.

When you get to target weight – you can cut down to 6:1 or even 13:1 to maintain.

Must I restrict to two meals or can I eat some of the breakfast in a menu (eg the ruit) later in the day?

Thanksf

@doorrag The book says there is no evidence available yet to prove how best to eat your restricted calories on a fast day and to do whatever gives you the best chance of succeeding. In fact it actively encourages you to experiment to find what works best for you.

@doorrag. As I said above, how you consume your ‘fast day 500’ is entirely up to you and how it fits your lifestyle.

xx

sylvestra – Nice notes. These should be really useful to newcomers.

The only thing I would add is that whenever you lose significant weight your BMR & TDEE numbers will have changed too. If you are paying close attention to your calorie intake, you will need to recalculate several times to maintain a ‘good level’ of loss, especially if you’re starting out very overweight.

Thanks for your advice

Bumping for the newbies.

Another newbie here…

I would appreciate some clarification. I have read the book, but the more I read from other people them more confused I am becoming.

Q – On my fasting days, it is okay to not eat anything, or is it advised to eat the full 500calories?

Q – On my normal days, I will not always be able to eat 2097 calories…. if I only manage say 1600 is this going to be a problem?

Thank you for your help…. day one and not eaten since 8pm last night :/

oddsocks:

It is OK to eat less than 500 calories. Many eat nothing.

On your non-diet days, it is OK to eat less than your TDEE. The basic rule is the less you eat the more you lose.

Here are some tips for those just starting 5:2: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

I understand we can work it to our schedule but I am interested to know has anyone found better results eating twice a day vs once a day? I read somewhere that someone suggested eating 500 at 2pm. I guess I am confused about the fast days. Does that mean we don’t eat or is 500 considered a fast?
    If I eat at 7pm Sunday and then 2pm Monday and then 7am Tuesday is that enough time? I want to follow the guidelines, I understand it is flexible but what have people found that work best?
    I want to lose, should I move to a 4:3?
    Appreciate the advice!

Hi just starting this. Do the 2 fast days have to be the same days every week or can you switch them around?
    Thanks

Hi @parkes30 -just do the fast days when it suits you best. No ‘schedule’ – just fit them in with your life.

I do Monday and Thursday because that’s what suits me but if someone asked me out for a meal on one of those days I’d just move fasting to another day.

To be sustainable, this way of eating has to fit round you, not the other way round.

@chillyz – I can only speak from my own experience, which may not be the same for others, but when I started I ate 3 small meals per day. I now eat dinner on my non fast day then have nothing but water and black coffee until dinner of >500 cals on my fast day. I haven’t found that it has made any difference to my rate of weight loss which is around 1 lb per week.
    Michael Mosley finds that eating breakfast and dinner on fast days works best for him.

In the faqs at the top of the page he answers the question
    ‘Do the calories have to be in one meal or spread across the day?’

as follows

‘There have been different studies using different approaches. People who took part in Dr Krista Varady’s studies of Alternate Day Fasting (ADF) had just one meal a day, at lunchtime. Those who took part in Dr Michelle Harvie’s studies of the 2 Day Diet at several small meals a day. Michael prefers having two meals a day, breakfast and an evening meal. Mimi prefers several small meals. Which approach is better? The one you can stick to. Some people find, for example, that eating breakfast actually makes them feel hungrier later in the morning.’

So as I said above you do what suits you best.

You can move to 4:3 which may result in more weight lost up but remember this is not a ‘fast’ as in speedy diet.

An average loss of 1 lb a week is good – there are people on here who would kill for a steady 1 lb per week loss.

I’m one of the lucky people who does lose at that rate and who has the cheek to feel miffed if I don’t lose in any week.

Good luck both

xx

Thank you @sylvestra for the response!

You’re welcome @chillyz

xx

sylvestra – one other thing that might be worth adding is about weighing yourself regularly, but not too frequently

I agree StraR – xx

Hi

I did 6 weeks of this pre-Christmas, and then due to medical treatement stopped, and have started agin this week.

By TDEE is around 2850kcals for a non fast day.

I aim for 600 cals on fast days, but am not “anal” about it – i have found that around 6-700 seems to work, especially as I am also walking around 5 miles a day (I use a pedometer app on my phone) – so my question is this:

Does my fast day limit stay at 600cals regardless of my weight, my TDEE or the amount of exercise I do?

The fast day ‘limit’ of 500 is based on 25% of the ‘average’ woman’s daily requirement of 2000. But very few of us are ‘average’.

Michael Mosley used this figure as a guide for how much to eat on fast days.

He also points out that since this is 25% of ‘average’ then 25% of ‘actual’ may be much lower or higher than this.

If having 600 – 700 calories on your fast days is working for you then it’s the correct amount. And if your current TDEE is 2850 then you are hitting 25% of that.

Your TDEE is based on your gender/age/height/current weight/ daily activity including exercise so you don’t increase your calorie allowance if you exercise

You do,hoever, need to re-calculate your TDEE as you lose as this will reduce and so the 25% will reduce pro rata. As you lose you may find you have to drop your daily calories to continue losing weight.

Hope this helps

Good luck

xx

Sorry I should have said the fast day figure of 500/600 is based on 2000 for the ‘average’ woman and 2400 for the ‘average’ man.

xx

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply.