Started 5:2 as of June/July? Join in and share your progress and thought!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Started 5:2 as of June/July? Join in and share your progress and thought!

This topic contains 337 replies, has 98 voices, and was last updated by  NancyDrew 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 339 total)

• Today is my first fast day. I am feeling ok at the moment, I do have a slight headache and I feel zapped of energy but I don’t feel as hungry as I thought I would. In saying that, I chose to start today because it is my “do nothing” day. My house is clean and my family are at work or at school and normally I wouldn’t start work till 6pm tonight (Not working today). My last meal was yesterday at 5pm and I intend on having a good meal at dinner time tonight. I have been drinking lots of tea (almost 4Ltrs now). I am hoping to have one meal on my fast days because I don’t usually eat breakfast anyway. I could skip lunch and then enjoy a good hearty meal at dinner time which will leave me quite satisfied. To pass the time, I have been watching youtube clips about the benefits of intermittant fasting to keep me motivated. Good luck to everyone beginning their journey.

simcoeluv – from the very link you sent me “Only during periods of prolonged famine would it make sense to slow the metabolism down, wait for better times to come.” – just to clarify I was talking about calorie restriction during non-fasting days. I completely agree that fasting days will not have an impact (only a positive one!) but I would not fast back to back & I am being careful with not lowering my calories too far (<1800) on my non-fasting days. Hope that helps!

I’m starting my 2nd fasting day today! I once again have been rather unimaginative/unprepared but have a good amount of watermelon to get me through the day which to be honest, in this heat, is much needed!

ShariB1 – I find it most difficult at home, much easier at work when you don’t have time for, or easy access to, food and have other things to think about all day.

Today is a fast day, last one of my second week. My husband and kids are eating jacket potato downstairs (smells really yum) so I’m avoiding the scene as I’ve just eaten all my Calories today! Going strong through, I really feel like I’ve broken the food addiction.

Luckylucy – don’t forget that whilst 1200 might be a severe restriction for you, others (like me) who are short and small built will have a TDEE of 1200 Calories so that’s literally all they can eat without actually putting on weight (which makes it VERY easy to get fat, quite unfairly, lol). Anyway, I’m not sure how long a ‘prolonged period of famine’ is, but I’d imagine at least 6 months, certainly not a back-to-back 2 day fast, or even eating a few 100Cals below your TDEE for a couple of months tbh.

2fast2furious – good point! I did not think about height..!

So 2nd fast day today, I was a little more grouchy/more hungry & watermelon (again!) was not going to cut it this evening so I’ve made myself some soup – it was great to recognise that I can add in SO many more veggies/ingredients/have a lot more soup (2 massive bowls for 240 cals!) to eat when I make it myself because even a splash of olive oil in supermarket soups would have knocked me over the 500 cal limit.

I’m not sure if it is the new diet or also that I felt very bloated earlier in the week but I have also lost 5lbs (starting weight 140 lbs, 5ft 5) from Monday. I reckon it will all plateau out next week but we’ll see – good incentive to continue anyway..!

Yes Lucy, height makes TDEE vary a lot. Mine is only 1600 when I’m active or 1400 if I’m not. I’m only 5’2″.

Hi Everyone,

I’m not proving to be a prolific “poster” but I am going to post my progress once a week, to keep myself on the straight & narrow if nothing else!
    STARTING WEIGHT: 13 stone 8 lbs (BMI 33.7)
    CURRENT WEIGHT (@ 4 WEEKS COMPLETED): 12 stone 9lbs (BMI 31.4)
    PHASE 1 TARGET WEIGHT (@ 11 WEEKS COMPLETED): 12 stone 1 lb (BMI 29.9)

I started the 5:2 diet at the very end of June so this is the start of week 5 for me. I originally had 4 stone to lose which seemed too daunting as a target & so I set myself a phase 1 target of 21 lbs in 11 weeks (I go on holiday in week 12) which would just squeak me under the BMI range from obese to overweight. Then hopefully I’ll be back to lose whatever I put on whilst on holiday plus set myself another target to meet before Christmas.
    I’m doing a slightly more boot camp version of the diet in order to lose 2 lbs a week and have managed 13 lbs in 4 weeks so just one more lb to reach that magic first stone marker. I still look in the mirror and see a very fat person (as you would expect from someone who is still 3 stone overweight)but I can definitely feel the change in the way my clothes fit me.
    I seem to have chosen a slightly different approach to fast days as I eat breakfast (porridge) and then just drink clear fluids through the day so that I can eat a reasonable (300 cal) meal with my partner in the evening. On other week days I tend to eat porridge for breakfast, fruit through the day and try to keep my main meal below 500 cals (my TDEE is only 1700 cals). On weekends I kick back a bit more and just try not to over eat (or east rubbish!)
    I started exercising last week to try to keep the weight moving and after a good walk (well more of a route march really) yesterday involving several steep inclines I am struggling to put my heels on the floor today as my calves are so tight so I know I need to work on my fitness levels!

First weekly weigh-in this morning and I’ve lost 6.25lbs. To say I’m thrilled would be an understatement. I didn’t find the last week a chore at all. The two fast days were relatively easy to get through. If I ever craved anything I just thought to myself “it’s OK, I’ll have that tomorrow” and when tomorrow came I generally found that I didn’t want that thing after all. Think I might have found the “diet” for me at last.

Brilliant Dotty!
    You can do it. Very wise to set a smaller achievable goal. I started at 85kg (similar to you) in April 13. I also lost 1kg a week for many months. I kept reaching my goals and resetting. I am now 58 kg (just over 9 stone) and basically maintaining by still doing 2 fasts a week. This is a way of life for me now. And fabulous. Wait until you get to replace your wardrobe, twice, as your body shrinks. It is MAGIC!
    All the best PVE

Good Morning!

Yesterday started my second fastweek and I had my fastday yesterday.
    It went well, no problems what so ever! And also super great news are that I have lost weight 2.9kg in one week, most of this is fluids but still excellent 🙂
    Im very obese and I always drop weight faster at the beginning.

But yay anyway!

Hi all, great to see everyone doing so well. I’m back from my hols, had a really great time but put on a not so great 6lb (too much red wine and fresh bread!). However, did a fast day yesterday and will fast Wed and Friday this week to get back on track. Keep up the good work all!

Hello everyone 🙂

A very busy week but still got rid of another 1lb. That makes a total of 12lb in 6 weeks. My inch loss is good too, about 2.5 from each measurement. Down a dress size to 10.

With a week gone I have now done three days of fasting and have lost 6lb. Not bad I suppose as I have had chips and kebab meat once and chips on another occasion.

Good Morning everyone, Into my 3rd week now with 5 fast days behind me. Lost 2lb and another inch round the middle. That is 6lb down in 2 weeks so I am really pleased.

Toby

Just started today. First fasting day. Wish me luck!!

Well its a good week this week, ran 2 miles yesterday and kept to my target intake on fast day. Ran a 2 mile track yesterday, not quite the distance I managed when I was in Australia but I don’t have running gear on me now and I did have a lot in the tank.

Still sitting on the 11st 7 mark, expecting a drop of 2lbs this week to 11st 5 though.

Hi everyone, looks like we all deserve a bit pat on the back this week which is great. Thanks also to PurpleVegetableEater (great name!) and Mamamoo for sharing experience and longer term success with us as that’s really motivating to people like me who have a long journey ahead of them. But as Confucius once allegedly said “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you don’t stop”

Wise words. If you believe in what you do, enjoy it and see results, the time it’ll take doesn’t matter, you’ll get there

Hi Dotty
    Good Confucius line! A bit like the hare and tortoise? 🙂 PVE

Hi all, fellow newby here. It’s great to see how everyone’s doing, there is great encouragement out there! Finding it great the way that everyone seems to able to tailor this regime to suit there personal differences/requirements. Do most people do extra fast days in the first week then switch to 5:2? Need to loose about another stone. Was really surprised that I didn’t feel the need to go bonkers the day after fast day! Was presuming I’d wake up 5am to raid the kitchen cupboards!!!!

In case it’s of help to anyone out there, I’m using the Paul McKenna “conscious eating” method on my inbetween days to help me to not go over board. I used this method earlier in the year to cut down my portion sizes (which had gone up proportionally with each pregnancy……..I have 4 children!) and managed to loose just shy of a stone.

Second fast day tomorrow….let’s see how it goes when combined with a full shift at work……!!!???

Welcome Toffebearsmum!

I lost nearly 30 lbs on the IF way of eating, but had problems with the non fasting days and over eating.

Like you, I found Paul McKenna’s emotional eating book/CD/DVD very helpful and continue to use them today. I have a couple more lbs to lose and then the even bigger battle to keep the weight off. I am hoping that using the conscious eating method will change things this time around.

Wow everyone is doing great!

I am down 7.5lbs (lots of water weight too as was very bloated to begin with!) and on day 8 (fast day) – doing a 4:3 week this week in preparation for some possibly more extravagant eating this weekend.

Thank you @toffebearsmum & @amy C. for the suggestion of Paul McKenna’s stuff – I think I need to check this out as yesterday on a non-fast day I ended up scoffing half a box of chocolates as felt very emotional after a very stressful situation at work. So this may be of benefit 🙂

@toffebearsmum hope your shift went ok! I actually find it easier to work & fast as it keeps me distracted whereas if I fasted on my days off I’m sure I’d just twiddle my thumbs & think of food all day! As for adding in extra fast days, the effects will be faster. I personally am not in a big rush & remind myself that this way of eating can give slow but effective progress so I think I’ll just add in a fast day here & there depending on week-by-week circumstances/how I feel…

Hey everyone, long time no see.
    Well, this past week has been awful. I was planning on three fasting days this week but only managed one, today. It’s been to hot to even think about food, and the regime has gone out the window along with every ounce of common sense when it comes to food. It’s been to hot to eat during the day, so come evening I’m so hungry I devour a lot more than I should.

Oh well.

I’m fasting today, and yesterday came with rain so it’s a bit cooler today so I don’t see a problem with that. And hey, this is just a set back. I’m going to stick to it and start over next week with renewed motivation. How are y’all doing today?

Good morning, after an enforced fasting day yesterday after having a tooth extracted so I ended up eating home made soup I am pleased to say that since I started on the 15th July I have now lost 9lb. This definately motivates me to carry on and I know that soon I will see a magic 19 on the scales rather than a 20 and it has been a long time since I saw that number. Still a long way to go, but small steps.

Hi all I’ve been on 5:2 for about 3 weeks and lost 5.5 pds but as I had a birthday bash at the weekend I seem to of put it all on, I’m doing a fast day today an tmrw an nd to be strict as it’s my bday on Monday I need to b good when do people weigh an measure themselves

@gingerbread just a set back indeed, the important thing is getting back on the wagon which is exactly what you are doing! I’m planning on my first 4:3 week with my 3rd fasting day tomorrow, I hope I can make it, it definitely is more challenging on a psychological level I find!

Otherwise I am happy with my progress, down 8 lbs (a good part of it is bloating/water weight I’m sure) & on day 9 currently.

Hi again,
    Julie Smart: love your ‘I will eat it tomorrow’ approach when tempted on Fasting Day. And of course, the urge usually goes away by the time ‘tomorrow’ arrives. 😉

I refuse to speak the word ‘diet’ as that mindset has never worked for me. I am finding this regime to be relatively easy to incorporate into my life. I fast for 24 (sometimes 23) hours, starting at 2 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. During a fast day, I drink water with lemon, an occasional Coke Zero, and nothing else.

This seems to be working for me. I am free from calorie-counting, think more clearly, and weigh a bit less each Sunday morning when I bring out the scale.

On ‘feed’ days, I eat my bowl of porridge with fruit, salads (including from Wendy’s and McD’s), stirfries, or slow-cooker meals. I have some chocolate here and there — because I want to feel that I *can*.

I would appreciate feedback on the plan (non-plan!) I am following.

Thanks very much from pmhlb

Jacaru: Congrats on being close to replacing the 20 with 19; I envy you! I have also heard of this achievement as entering ‘One-derland’. 😉

You fast like me pmhlb, lost 3.5 stone + now using 4:3 with that method, 24 hour fasts and all and still going strong, also had my porridge this morning, banana, boiled egg and a few cashews this afternoon and a couple o blocks of chocolate as im not a robot!

Jacaru, Wow.. That’s massively impressive, I remember your first sceptical post on here, 2 weeks later youre down 9 lbs!?

Thanks, tombaron; feeling encouraged! What day became Day 3? A weekend day?

Well, half Thursday half Friday! I give myself Friday night, Saturday and sunday lunch (roast) off.

What a fickle creature I am!
    Today is my 10th fast day & up until now I’ve found them okay. Today I was grouchy & hungry all day and was really not looking forward to salad with prawns & low fat cottage cheese for dinner. All the way home (I walk but it’s only just over a mile) my inner demon was whispering about the block of cheese in the fridge (savoury foods are my downfall).
    I am sure I would have succumbed but when I got home the postie had left me a parcel. It was 2 new suits that I’d ordered in the next size down from my current one as my existing suit trousers are literally hanging off me. So I walked straight past the kitchen, up the stairs & tried them on. They are definitely a little snug around the backside and thighs but are fine on the waist, so a few more lbs and they will be a good fit. I am so pleased.
    Suddenly prawn & cottage cheese salad looked really appealing and all cheese cravings have mysteriously vanished. What a fickle creature I am indeed!

Hehe @dotty P – this reminds me of myself on a fast day on occasion! I can be a right grump & then get worked up on the way home fantasising about all the foods I *could* eat – then reality hits, I settle down & I still enjoy dinner greatly 🙂 Good work!

Well done for resisting Dotty P!

I’m nearly 3 weeks in (or is it 4?!) on 4:3. 9lbs down as of today (weighed after fast day). I think I want to lose another 7. Can’t wait to be a bit less restricted on eat days and to switch to 6:1 to maintain, I do hate diets!

Have had some compliments on my figure (ok, from my husband, and he has to say it, but still – he looked like he means it)! I do feel much more comfortable and have lost a few inches from my waist. All my clothes were so tight when I started the diet, in fact not being able to fasten my work trousers was the tipping point of re-starting the diet tbh, and now I can get them on fine, so it is worth it. I just have to keep reminding myself of that!

Wow well done everyone! I love reading about your successes and struggles. I’ve been super good and all treats are budgeted for. I’ve started jogging for the first time ever and I extended my route with the dog. Hubby thinks I’m obsessed and is ‘done’ with the whole thing. He won’t talk about food, weight, diet or exercise and refuses to compliment me on my losses. If I’m honest it is very difficult for me and I’ve nearly given up several times. I just need to lose another stone and a bit to be healthy. My fasting friends here are keeping me going, thank you all 🙂

Hi
    I have been doing this since January, slow and steady is good for me I have now lost 45 pounds, I have completely changed my lifestyle and am doing more exercise, I do occasionally fall of the wagon especially on holidays, I am trying to jog!! and water aerobics is very good 🙂

Mamamoo – I’m sure I read you were wearing size 10 trousers – surely you can’t have another stone to lose??!!
    I am a real hour glass figure (broad shoulders, big bust, broad hips)and if I go below a size 12 I end up totally out of proportion and looking more like Dolly Parton (!!).
    If I jogged at the moment I’m sure that the South Wet of England would think we were experiencing an earthquake but I am definitely doing more walking and I’ve started using my Step for a quick high intensity blast so that should help.
    My other half has been following the programme with me as he wanted to lose 15 lbs – this he achieved this morning (in week 5) so he is very pleased with himself. I think this will be a drawback for me however as up until now he has been really focussed on losing the weight but now he will be a little more lax and will be tempting me with beer and meals out in the weeks to come. But I will do my best to resist!

Haha Dotty p, did you hear an earthquake about 18 months ago in the south west when I started walking? walking is a GREAT way to lose lbs when your not an athlete! I have done about 7 miles a day for 18 months and can contribute a sizeable chunk of 40+ lbs loss to the joys of strolling to work, strolling to meet friends and strolling for the sake of strolling! Although the first 3 months after I scrapped my car and commuted 5 miles a day to work, I had the worst blisters and could do nothing about them bar keep walking!

Hi everyone, haven’t checked in for a while but good to see you are all doing so well! Weigh in today and I have lost 15lbs and am now in my seventh week of IF and my fifth week of 4:3. I only have 5lbs to go now and I honestly never thought I would actually be able to lose this much weight. I wish i had taken measurements as I can see and feel that I have shrunk slightly, unfortunately I have been living out of cardboard boxes for three months while I sit in limbo with my house move and have no idea where my tape measure is.

I had a couple of weeks there where I was being a bit sloppy on both fast days and non-fast days and was definitely over-eating slightly but other than that i find this really easy to follow and am really impressed with the results. Some people question the method (usually people who haven’t read the book or watched the documentary) but I feel that in this day and age where obesity is such a serious issue finding something that actually works for you is so important and not to be criticized! I’m not saying it’s for everyone but it’s working for me!

Hi everyone,
    It’s really great to read everyone’s different perspectives here – what I love about this way of eating is that it’s not prescriptive, it’s not a one size fits all approach, it allows you to find the approach that works best for you. I really dislike the idea of ‘dieting’, but I love the feeling of being in control of my body! I find it easiest not to eat at all on my fast days, I just drink lots instead. That said, some days where my energy levels are really low I’ll have some eggs in the afternoon/evening….I just play it by ear. I also weigh myself every day, which some people find discouraging but I like to track the variations and identify patterns, it keeps me interested! I still have 10 lbs to go to get to my target, but I have just stepped across the threshold between overweight and normal BMI, so yay! Once I’m down to my pre-baby weight then it’s time to start trying for the next (and last!) baby so that’s motivation to keep going. I’m probably going to have the challenge of managing gestational diabetes again so will try to be really proactive from the start, zero-tolerance for sugar in all its forms….so will enjoy my slices of cake at the weekends while I can!

Weeks doing IF: 10
    Starting weight: 12st 12lbs
    Current weight: 11st 10lbs
    Weight lost: 16lbs
    Target weight: 11st

Mamamoo – do you think he might be feeling a bit insecure, or even jealous?

Dotty P – not everyone suits a 10 or feels comfortable there. Sizes have grown a lot over the last 10-20 years (as have waists and bums)! Depending which shop, size 10 trousers could certainly mean a stone over my ideal weight (and then some probably).

tombaron, yes I know, I was sceptical wasn’t I. It amazes me now that even on eating days I don’t crave food as I did. I can sit down and watch TV without needing food in my hand. I thought that I was bad yesterday as I had a very large Toby Carvery breakfast and then sandwiches for an evening meal. Yet, and here I go again, keep saying I won’t, I weighed myself this morning and another pound had gone.

I’m not daft, I know it can’t keep falling off at the same rate, but as I say, I am not craving food the same way I was and I am now believing that I can do it after the doctor and I had almost decided that a gastric band was the only way forward.

Oh dear DottyP you made me spit coffee of my phone!!!! Lol. Yes I’m just into the larger size 10 clothes (like Adsa, Next or M&S) as all my 12s are hanging off. Probably another half stone to go to the standard size 10. It’s great but BMI still in overweight category because I’m really short. It’s 8lb to go to be in healthy category but I’m aiming for 9st.

2fast2furious, I think you’re right about maybe hubby being jealous. He’s fasting too but not losing much. He’s stuck in the car for 4+ hours a day commuting and tired all the time. Part of it is he worries I’ll either end up too skinny (he likes my hourglass figure) or anorexic. No chance of becoming anorexic though! He definitely thinks it’s weird that I’m exercising so much and he really doesn’t like it because I walk/jog with our dog late in the evenings. I’m just fed up because I spend my entire day/night looking after him, the kids, the dog and the house. When am I supposed to do something for myself? I feel incredibly guilty.

THe advantage is Jacaru, we havnt evolved to be over a certain weight and have an abundance of food, our bodies store fat like any other mammal. To provide a back up storage of energy for when we cannot access food.

I hypothesise, that when you go without food for a certain period of time regularly, you break a very un natural addiction to food (look at ghrelin and leptin) and a natural balance is restored.

When that balance is restored you feel no need to eat excessively, with my stats I have a tdee of about 2600
    If I was 25 stone I would have a tdee of 4000kcal

If I was 25 stone and had been for a while I would have eaten over 4k calories to get to 25 stone then eaten an average of 4k calories to maintain that weight. If I started eating 2600 a day I would be net 11200 down a week or nearly 4lbs of fat worth a week.

This is the advantage you have. By fasting you have generated a MASSIVE tdee deficit on two days a week, with fasting also keeping your appetite down, your probably generating a big deficit on the rest of the days too.

Work out your TDEE if you havnt already here:
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

and remember, on the occasion, you can still eat that odd kebab meat and chips!

Ill add also, very well done, that rate of loss will continue as long as theres a considerable gap between your food input and tdee!

Hi @mamamoo that sounds like a tricky situation for you! Why doesn’t he like for your to walk/jog with the dog – is it because of safety? One alternative is to exercise in the early morning or rope him into joining you!

I completely agree that you need to do something for yourself, I’m sure you have dedicated many YEARS to your family & I’m a strong believer that we can only really truly be our best to others if we make ourselves our own priorities first. Sounds selfish but it really isn’t as then you will feel your best & will be even more helpful & present to others!

Feelings of guilt are unfair for you as you are doing great and should be feeling proud!

Can you communicate with your hubby to calmly discuss what the underlying issues are? What are his worries? Maybe his insecurity is that you will suddenly feel you are too good for him (I’m sure this is not the case but this is an insecurity one of my exes had!) and will be left behind. Maybe he needs some reassurance. Only you will be able to truly tell if you are being obsessive, no one else.

In the short term, things that can help (though you are probably doing this anyway) is to be discreet as possible on fasting days etc., minimise talking about diet/weight loss/exercise etc.

I’m sure all of us have experienced negative attitudes towards our lifestyles at some point, and if it is from someone close to us I think it is worth exploring why this may be to stop it from escalating further/drifting apart.

Good luck with this, I’ve been in a similar situation before so I feel for you!

Thanks luckylucy, it’s nice to know someone understands! Safety is definitely an issue. With regards to changing that, morning is impossible because he leaves for work at 5.30 and he can’t come with me in the evenings because of the kids (age 1 & 4). I never thought about him possibly thinking I’d feel like I’m too good for him. Previous talks have resulted in him just telling me to shut up (he does that a lot). Things are fine and we enjoy our weekends together, as long as I don’t talk about food or exercise! At the end of the day I’m just trying to get to a healthy weight so I can avoid diabetes (my mum has type 2) and high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart attack (my dad has recently had a heart attack). The scary thing is my dad is skinny as a rake 6 feet tall and under 11 stone yet he has high cholesterol and until recently high blood pressure. My mum is overweight and on statins and metformin. My great aunt was skinny but still got diabetes. I’m so worried about it! Hence my ‘obsession’ with losing the extra weight.

Thanks for that tombaron. I have just filled in the form and this is what it came up with

Your BMI is: 44.2
    Your BMR is: 2098
    Your TDEE is: 2517 calories

so going on what I should have on fast days it is, if I have worked it out correctly is 629 calories a day, so yes, I can see why it is going off so quickly as I think I have only just gone over 600 calories on fast days.

Jacaru that is very interesting to see such a huge difference between people. Goes to show the governments stock daily values are utter bulls**t! They wonder why people are unhealthy and I’m sure it’s because their guidelines are wrong. All these years I’ve been overeating by about 200 calories a day then. I’m only just under my “normal” weight. Here’s my stats:
    Your BMI is: 26.2
    Your BMR is: 1327
    Your TDEE is: 1824 calories
    So on fast days I should be eating 456 calories.

Glad to hear @mamamoo that things are otherwise fine. It sounds like you can’t have a reasonable conversation about it (if the response is to ‘shut up’!) so I would go for the ‘discrete as possible’ approach. Completely understand where you are coming from health-wise – my family is plagued by type II diabetes (apart from my mum – I credit it to her doing regular exercise!) & I hope to avoid it too..! That said, I have spent a few years balancing exercise/eating plans/friends & loved ones & it can be tough to find that balance & not tip too much into the ‘sticking to my regime no matter what’ realm or into spending so much time on anyone apart from ourselves. I find being quite organised & specifically ‘dedicating’ time to my loved ones (AND to myself) helpful with some room for flexibility/spontaneity. Good luck 🙂

Your BMI is: 22.3
    Your BMR is: 1723
    Your TDEE is: 2670 calories
    .realistically my tdee is higher again as I do a LOT of exercise.

But gov figures are just a guideline. I guess a rough average of the population

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply.