Started 5:2 as of June/July? Join in and share your progress and thought!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Started 5:2 as of June/July? Join in and share your progress and thought!

This topic contains 337 replies, has 98 voices, and was last updated by  NancyDrew 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 339 total)

• Hey everyone!
    As I am new here, I figured it might be nice to have a place for us who recently started. Sharing is caring and so forth. I would love to hear about you weekly updates and progress, and of course also the set backs. We can alls upport each other, that’s the beauty of internet πŸ™‚

Today I’m doing my second fast day. Last week I only managed one day of fasting, so this week I will do 4:3 because it bugs me that I have an uneven number of fast days πŸ˜› Next week however I will go back to 5:2. I don’t know exactley how much i weight in at, but I asked a friend to keep track at my weight. I really don’t like scales, to I stand on i t and she looks, and then writes it down. I’m doing monthly updates, so I will update you on any loss when the day comes.

So, does anyone new here want to join in?
    /G

Count me in, it’s my first day today so a little apprehensive but very positive.
    Need to lose at least two stone… And wasn’t blessed with patience so I need all the support I can get πŸ˜‰
    Liz

Count me in too – 4th week and need to lose 1.1/2 stone but more than that body fat would be better.
    My weight loss has been slow but having read a other forums here I’ve discovered that it can be so try not to worry if you don’t lose weight as fast as other people. I was disappointed this week when the scales only went down about 0.4lb but my body fat went down and any ‘down’ is good!
    Take measurements and measure once a month.
    Best of luck to you both.

I’m also starting today and I need to lose 1 stone. Not done this before so any support is welcome.
    Good luck everyone

Toby

You are both more than welcome! Glad to hear from you both! Liz, I wish you all the patience you can muster! I don’t know what I weight, but I figure I need to lose about 2 stone as well, and I’m so anxious to se some results!
    Holidayfan, just like you said, any ‘down’ is good πŸ™‚ Bst of luch to you too!

Toby, how do you feel so far?

Hi guys,
    I started with 5:2 at the start of June – at that point I needed to lose 24 lbs to reach my target weight.

I developed gestational diabetes last year when I was pregnant with #2 and that has left me with an increased risk of developing type 2 in the future. I would like to have another baby but I am not going to even consider it until I am in tip-top shape – I’ll probably develop GD again next time around and it leads to a high risk pregnancy so I want to make sure I’ve done everything I can to be healthy! So that’s my motivation. Want to get there by the end of this year.

I’m a real statistics person so I’ve been tracking my weight daily and have some lovely trend graphs plotted πŸ™‚ But some days I find harder than others so going to check in here every now and again to see how things are going for everyone else…

So far things have been going well, I’ve had 2 flat weeks (this week being one of them!) but I think this diet suits me so much better than the constant calorie-focus of other diets I’ve tried – I like to be able to have a nice lunch out sometimes without the constant feeling of guilt! I’ve found that what works best (for me) is to totally fast on the fast days and just stick to liquids. I was having instant soups and rice cakes for a while but I like the simplicity of not having to think about finding low-calorie foods to eat, they usually only make me hungrier anyway! But the great thing about this diet is that it’s so flexible, so if I decide on some days that I just need to eat something, I can have some scrambled egg at lunchtime and still feel virtuous πŸ™‚

My statistics to date:
    Starting weight: 12 stone 12.5 lbs (BMI 27)
    Number of weeks on diet: 8
    Current weight: 12 stone 1 lb (BMI 25.5)
    Total weight loss to date: 11.5 lbs

Hi, I just started my first fast day today so am eager to get some support! I have around 1.5 stone to lose but am prepared to take it fairly gradually. One thing I am struggling a little with is keeping count of calories. I am not really one for following the set recipes but would like a tool where I input items that I eat and it totals the calories for me.

Hi Gingerbeard, Feeling fine so far, drinking more water than usual and I’m about to go out so that will take my mind off things. If this can help me lose a steady 1 or 2 lbs a week I’ll be happy.

Charlie, one thing that workd ofr me is ready meals where the calorie count is on the package. I make home made food every day of the week other my fasting days, so I’m not the least ashamed of it πŸ˜‰
    Today my lunch is a weight watchers soup (100 cal per portion), and later I’m going to have a cup a soup (90 cal), which leaves me quite a bit of calories for dinner (which will consist of cottage cheese, tuna and broccoli).
    I guess you need to figure out what works best for you. I would however focus on “easy” meals, in a casserole or one pot dish it’s much harder to count out the calories per portion. Best of luck to you!

thanks for the reply Gingerbread, and the suggestions.
    I guess I am trying to get away from ready meals overall, so am not so keen on adopting them for the fast. ‘Easy’ meals are fine for me….planning a chicken stirfry for dinner.
    Hmm, have not eaten cottage cheese for a good while, nice idea for later in the week.

Hi
    Have just started 5:2 again and will fast tomorrow. I had gestational diabetes with my 2 daughters and need to watch my weight or risk type 2 diabetes. I have 10 kgs to lose. This time I will try not to go overboard on non-fast days!
    Best wishes to you all.

Hello All ! I am on my 2nd week / 3rd fast today. I have minimally 2 stone to lose… It is going quite well so far (despite the entire office choosing to order in pizza for lunch today! Grr!)
    I am not weighing myself until week 4 / fast 8. Will post results after that!

Hello,
    I am also starting today and like the idea of having others to talk to a get a little support from (and offer it if I can!). I have quite a bit I would like to loose and think that setting myself little targets or goals along the way will help keep me motivated. Good luck to everyone else.

Hey y’all! I’m also into my 3rd week. I had lost 7 lbs as of last Friday, but after a fairly wine filled weekend and the fatty foods that go with it, I’m actually up today. I am looking to lose a stone further to feel better and more like myself. This way of eating and the research behind it has been a real eye opener for me. I’m a personal trainer and although I know all the right things to do, I need a bit of a kick start myself. I am having a fast day tomorrow, but finding myself wanting to restrict a bit today to let my body recover from the indulgent weekend! I have had an organic peanut butter and fresh strawberries wrap on a tortilla. Tons of water as usual and thinking of a salad for later. Not counting cals today, but being more aware of what I’m filling up on. You guys are an inspiration and I love having y’all to talk to. Good luck everyone on your journeys! x Deb

Thanks a million for all the info and encouragement . I am trying to read everything here that I can . I want to do it right . I have been low carbing for soo long . It worked and I liked it but I was craving for all the things I haven’t been able to have .It is so nice to have more variety in my food πŸ™‚ I have RA and it was getting worse and I am sure that has to do with the weight creeping back on again . I have IBS and I usually don’t eat until the afternoon anyway especially the days I have my dad . he is 96 and has Alzheimers .

Well that is fist week over and weighed in 5 lbs lighter . The fasting was much easier than I thought it was going to be . both worked out about 32 hours each . I am loving this xx

You guys are all amazing! It’s such an inspiration to read about everyones struggle with disease and unfortunate cirkumstances, but reaching targets and seeing results makes it all worth it!

I hope you all keep on struggling, today is monday which is the fasting day of a lot of people. I recently got home from work and plan to keep my self occupied untill dinner time. This far, this my second fasting day was much easier than my first. The hunger doesn’t bother me as much, I don’t feel as unconcentrated, and the experience as such is more pleasurable. I’m quite looking forward to my dinner and plan to savour it, which I guess is a good way to learn to eat “well” the other days.

I have one problem though which is a large contributer to my being overweight, and that is (or rather the lack of) portion control. Do any of you have any tips or tricks regarding controling the amount of food you eat at a time? And please note that if I had any self control I wouldn’t be in this situation πŸ˜›

XOXO

Portion control is a problem for me too, especially food I really like.

On non fast days I’m going to try using a smaller plate – 25cm instead of 35cm in diameter. Fill half with veg, a quarter protein and a quarter carbs. On fast days I’ll use the same principal but calorie counted. Also, drinking water just before a meal is said to reduce appetite.

I’m off to have a fruit tea and think of what to eat tonight. Will plan better for the rest of the week.

Toby

Hi I started 5:2 properly just 2 weeks ago and I reckon I have lost about 3 to 4 pounds maybe a pound more.

I usually always weigh myself in the mornings (wearing a light pyjama top) so about 2 weeks ago I weighed 9 stone 12/11 pounds and now I weigh 9 stone 7/8 pounds and thats with pigging out and going WAY over my TDEE on ONE day of the week such as a Saturday!

So with the last 2 weeks I have consumed just over 3000 calories on 2 Saturdays and I have still lost weight.

However I have been extra strict on my other non fast days by consuming 300 to 400 calories less than my TDEE (except sunday) PLUS I also stick fairly rigidly to the 2 500 calorie days of the week.

I find that fasting until your evening meal on your 2 500 calorie days is way better as you can consume your whole 500 calories in that one meal and feel fully satisfied after it!

I still have about 8 more pounds to lose weight and would like to lose about 5 to 6 pounds of that within the next 3 weeks as I have an event coming up and want to stat looking and feeling a bit more comfortable and confident in myself!

So does anyone have any tips on how to speed up the process a bit more??

Hi! I started on 18th June by doing 5:2 for two weeks and moving onto 4:3 thereafter (Fast beach diet in advance of my birthday in August). This is the beginning of my third week of 4:3 and I am now finding it – not easy exactly – less challenging than I ever thought it would be. I have lost 11lbs since I started which I am thrilled with and have another 9lbs to lose before I reach my goal weight. I have found this forum to be an unending source of inspiration and support.

My biggest issue was a total lack of portion control but now I definitely know when I’m full and more to the point actually stop when I’m full instead of cramming it in! It helps so much knowing that I can have a bit of chocolate or a bottle of beer the next day if I still feel like it.

Good luck everyone, looking forward to sharing stories as we progress!

I started the 5:2 diet a week ago and lost 4lb in the first week

Hi Gingerbeard
    Thanks for setting this up! Today is Day 1 and Fast day for me. I’m making homemade veggie soup right now for when I get hungry. Tons of veggies and beef broth, very low cal.
    I need to lose 25 lbs…I’m in Canada so not sure what a Stone is????
    I will rely heavily on this forum for when I’m feeling like I can’t stand the sight of another piece of broccoli πŸ™‚
    So, hi everyone and thanks for including me!

Hi Gruvychick – a stone is 14lbs πŸ™‚

Hiya, I had my first fast day today and it wasn’t too bad. I last ate yesterday at 9pm and I decided to split my fast calories into 2 meals. I had some lunch at work and then had a little dinner this evening and I probably won’t eat again until my morning teabreak about 10.40am tomorrow as I’m not really a big eater first thing in the morning, but I’ll see how I feel. If I’m hungry I’ll eat I feel fine at the moment, I think you have to make sure you keep your fluids intake up as that could cause headaches. I need to lose a few stone so I’m in it for the long run. Fingers crossed πŸ™‚

Today is day 1 for me as well and I am making mondays and thursday fast days. Im done eating for the day and have consumed 333 calories and feel good. Im 5’7 28 years old and just had a baby 7 months ago and would like to get back to my pre pregnancy weight of 134 and i currently weigh 143. I obviously wouldnt mind extra weight off. My ideal goal would be 125lbs but I will be just as happy to get back to 134.

Hi everyone, today is my third week of the diet and I’m doing my fast day today. I lost 3 pounds the first week but stayed the same last week, I was out for dinner and not very good a few days. hope to loose at least a pound this week. I need to loose at least two stone overall, I’m 5’5 and 12 stone 7 at the moment. I usually only seem to be able stick to diets for around three weeks then I get fed up with them so really want to stick with this one. Find the fast days quite hard especially in the evenings so hope it will get a bit easier as I go along..

I lost for my first week and then stayed the same for a couple but womens bodies change over the month and so I might only weigh myself once a month so I don’t feel so disappointed with slow weight loss. I’m trying to be good on 3 of my non fast days and the relax at the weekends.
    I have a small yoghurt for breakfast and then a dinner with the rest of the 420 cals.

Hey everyone, how are you all feeling? This amount of response is great! Just don’t forget to answer each others questions, I’m not holding any super knowledge here πŸ˜‰

Anyway, this morning I got up for breakfast, but I got full much faster than I normally would. I didn’t really give it that much thought and finished the whole thing anyway, but it gave me an idea for us who have a problem with portion control. I almost always finish the food on my plate wheater I’m still hungry or not. For me atleast, it would be a good idea to restrict the amount of food I put on my plate from the beginning, and then the golden rule of only eating what’s on my plate. No seconds! 5:2 has so far told me that I survive on a lot less food than I thought, so it’d really no biggie if I’m a bit peckish after my meal.

What do you think?

Lilbrarylil, I also find the evenings hard. I find it a bit easier though if I keep busy untill either dinnertime or bedtime. Whatever you can do to keep your mind of thinking of food!

Evenings are the hardest for most people I think. I try to have a green tea or herbal tea and/or go for a quick walk around the block.

Good idea Gingerbeard, I find I’m beginning to need less although I keep going too if the foods there. I didn’t even want a cake last week whilst out with friends although I ate it!
    I find I feel hungrier after eating my dinner in the evening but don’t think I could sit and watch my OH eat dinner and not eat anything so hopefully it will get better but I managed through the day better than I thought and need less lunch on non fast days now.

Hi everyone
    This is my 2nd week. I lost 2.2lbs in my first week, wasn’t very happy with that as have 50 lbs to lose untill I measured. 2ins lost off my waist and 2 off my bust. So glad I measured on my first day. Not finding it totally pain free but already having other amazing side effects, less inflamation, more energy and concentration, better skin and sleep. This woe is amazing πŸ™‚

Can I join in too? I started about a month ago. I had about 2 stone to lose and have so far lost about 8 lbs, despite being quite naughty on non-fast days. I’d like to lose a couple more pounds before the end of July and, ideally, to stay the same weight until the end of the school holidays: I think with a holiday to Italy and a week with relatives I’d be very lucky to lose any weight during August!

Just like you, suzysu72, I’m not finding it pain free by any means: in fact, the fast days are getting harder. But I’m sticking with it, and all the more determined since having a diagnosis of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome confirmed a week or so ago.

Next fast day tomorrow. Sigh.

Hey ya’all. Second out of three fasting days today. Next one and the last one for this week will be on friday. Let me ask you, how do you all plan your meals on fasting days?

I actually have three meals, a 100 cal breakfast, a 100 cal lunch and a 300 cal dinner. More or less, most often a lot less. Does that have any effect on the result, the fact that I don’t actually go that long between meals? How do you others do it?

Also, I have another question that hopefully someone can answer. I have been training a lot in my life, and due to a serious injury I had to stop, and have been gaining a lot of weight since then. When I was training, the general truth was always that if you don’t eat properly, and the body has to use energy within the body, that energy will come from muscles that start to regregate, because muscles are much more demanding for the body to have than fat, hence they are used for fuel. Now I hear in 5:2 that the remaining fuel required on a fasting day will be taken from the bodys fat reserves. Does anyone know anything about this?

I don’t understand the science behind this but the book does explain it to you – have you read Micheal Moseleys book?
    I have about 100 cals for breakfast and apart from a small ‘snack’ lunchtime which is usually a mouthful of one of the proteins I’ve weighed for dinner I try not to eat anything until 7pm.

Holidayfan (aren’t we all?) Is right Gingerbread. You really need to read The Fast Diet to fully understand what you are doing.
    We started with 3 meals, as you described, and over many months adjusted down. We were losing a kg a week on the 3 meal system and hubby’s diabetes began to improve, so it still works. Take it slowly, but be strict with the total calories. That is why it is so successful. Ease your body into it and find what works for you. But DO 2 fasts of 400-500 cals every week, preferably with a day or two between.
    All the best PVE

Thankyou for that, I’ll make sure to read it πŸ™‚ Regarding the amounts of meals you have, I am (so far, I havn’t really been doing it that long) sticking to the program. Last week I only managed one fasting day, and it bothered me that I had an uneven number of fasting days so this week I compensate with an extra day. Next week however everything will be getting back to normal!
    Also, I’m glad to hear your hubbys diabetes is getting bettre πŸ™‚ My girlfriend had a lot of problems with water weight, and now after a while on the diet it is improving a lot!

Well that’s my first fast day done! I had a prawn omelette for lunch, and a chicken stir fry with slim noodles for dinner (plus a few strawberries as a snack). I don’t think I’ve been any more hungry than when I’ve done things like WeightWatchers in the past, and I don’t have to do it all again tomorrow!

I’ve got high hopes for this, as my diets have failed in the past usually due to lack of continued motivation.

I think the key will be planning for the fast days, and I’ve already stocked up on things that will help (slim noodles, miso soup, etc). Sugar free squash with fizzy water really helped today too.

Onwards and upwards!

Hi, I’m new here as well, have done my 3rd fast today, and things are going a lot better than I expected, Did not expect to loose a lot of weight since I don’t have a lot to loose, just about 5-7kgs, but went from 64kg last thursday to 63,3kg this evening, so are excited to see what the scale will show tomorrow morning. My idea is also to get back into sport, at the moment I’m doing a 5k twice a week and will start yoga in the autumn when the classes starts again. Was even thinking that yoga would probably be possible to do on a fast day. Hope all is going well for all of you other newbies as well.

Hi,
    Well I can say that I will be starting in July at least. I will be starting my first week next week! excited but a little worried. I have 30kg to lose (think that about 4.5 stone) but more importantly I am doing this for my health. Getting my fitness up as well! So will post updates as I have them.

Hello all! It’s so nice to read about how everyone is doing. How did you find today, if you were (or are) fasting?

Today was my second fast day of the week and my tenth overall. I’m currently wishing I was tired enough to go to bed, rather than thinking about what I’d like to be eating! So glad that by the end of today I’ll be done for the week. Gingerbeard, how are you finding the prospect of a third fast before the weekend?

Hungriness aside, I’m feeling well on this way of eating. I do have a bunch of mouth ulcers though which a bit of googling has made me suspect may have been caused by all the artificial sweeteners I’ve been putting in my drinks.

HungrySchmungry, it’s not all that bad actually, but I wouldn’t do it again, and especially not on a friday. I like to have a glass of wine or something celebratory on fridays, but tomorrow will bring none of that πŸ˜‰ Oh well, it’s a one time thing, next week I go back to mondays and thursdays!
    Other than that I have a raging period at the moment, and that never makes things easier.
    I find it soo much easier to fast if I keep busy and drink lots of water and tea. A positive side effect to this is that my home is surprisingly clean πŸ˜‰

How are you feeling HungrySchmungry, and what are the rest of you planning for the weekend? I will be haning out with my GF and hopefully do some cooking!

I’d not want to fast on a Friday for exactly that reason, Gingerbeard! I hope you have a good day, period aside.

I’m feeling good, thanks. My parents are arriving this afternoon, and staying until the end of the weekend. So my house will, hopefully, be surprisingly clean in a few hours, too! I suspect I may gain a little weight over the weekend though, as I plan to cook lots of nice things for them (and us!). But I suppose one of the benefits of the diet is that you can always pick it up again. πŸ™‚

Happy Thursday to all.

x

Hi all! I started this about 3 weeks ago and I’ve lost 6 lbs so far and I’ve been exercising most days too! if I’m honest I could do with being better behaved when not fasting as I’ve been a tad naughty this week and my dinner on Monday’s fast day was defo more than 500 calories! However I’ll be back to work in a couple of weeks so I think I’ll go to doing 4:3 as I think it will be easier at work as I’m currently on maternity leave though my dad reckons that just the routine of going back to work, rushing about etc will help me lose some the baby weight so we shall see!!

Good luck to all! xx

So, third and final fasting day of this week today, and also it’s friday!
    Yesterday I binged on carbs, I blame hormones, and it actually felt kinda good! Not that it’s good to binge, but since I’ve had three fasting days this week I am a whooping 4500 cals low over this whole week, it felt great to have some cheescake with a good consience! 4:3 is hard work though, but retrospectively totally worth it.

Today I am experimenting with meals. It’s still early but I havn’t yet had breakfast, and plan to keep it of for as long as I can. I have both breakfast and lunch with me to work, but I’ll hold it of for as long as I feel good with.

Lots of xoxo to you all!

Oh, and also, I feel amazing. Even though I’m a bit swollen and sweaty at the moment (sorry guys, thats the ugly truth), I still feel great. I just don’t feel as swollen and uncomfourtable as I normally would. This is great.

Hi everyone πŸ™‚

I’m on my third week and 5lbs down with 1.5 stone to (hopefully) lose. Currently between a size 10 and 12 so I really hope I get the next couple of lbs off quickly just so my clothes fit properly! That, and my favourite ‘skinny’ jeans from around the time I got married actually go over my bum and do up but very tight and I soooo want to wear them πŸ˜‰

Long history short, got fat late teens/uni size 14/16, lost a bit (size 12), slimmed for wedding (size 10), had baby #1 and ballooned (size 16/18), lost baby weight (size 12), had baby #2 (size 14/16), lost that (size 12 since Xmas 2013). And here I am now. Talk about yo-yo! I was proud of myself for removing the baby weight in between rather than just getting fatter though.

So wish me luck, first goal is to previous lightest which is 10lbs away.

Hi all, I started last Friday (well actually did a trial day to see if I could hack it!) had no problems at all with 500 cals which made me think that I could probably do with less. Have read as many posts as I could for inspiration/information and decided to do a 4:3 this week having only one evening meal of max 300 cal, did Monday and Wednesday ok and today is the final one for this week (need to put the effort in this week as am on holiday all next week….not the ideal time to,start but didn’t want to put if off!). I find like a lot of people that if I start to eat I get hungry during the day but if I keep to liquids I’m ok (someone called it not waking up the hungry dragon!). I have a couple of stone to lose and think that possibly after about 4 decades of different diets I might finally have found the one that works!

Good luck all

Good to see everyone doing well.

I’ve now done 2 fast days with no problems . I have a low calorie soup – 44c – at lunchtime and plan dinner to be approx 400c and have found this to be the way for me. I keep to under 1600c on non fast days and have minimal carbs. With the weekend coming up it may get more difficult but will try to keep my calorie count as low as possible. I estimate calories on non fast days and eat what I fancy but keep in control.

No idea if I’ve lost weight or inches, I’ll check this on Tuesday, but I feel less bloated and clothes feel looser.

Have a good weekend everyone
    Toby

PamT, I find it easier to wait until later to eat too. Loving the phrase don’t wake up the hungry dragon! Lol πŸ˜€

Tobythedog, I had to chuckle when I saw your username because my dog is called Toby! Love it πŸ™‚

Kind of off topic, but anyone notice the wallet feeling a bit heavier with this diet? I’ve found the combination of eating less and making everything from scratch is saving a LOT of money. Kinda makes it easier to stick to πŸ˜‰

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply.