Started 5:2 as of June/July? Join in and share your progress and thought!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Started 5:2 as of June/July? Join in and share your progress and thought!

This topic contains 337 replies, has 98 voices, and was last updated by  NancyDrew 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 339 total)

• Hi, Fab thread – I’m new too (ish). I’ve re-started this week. I got fat in pregnancy; I had borderline gestational diabetes so I felt starving all the time, alongside terrible pelvic pains (SPD) whenever I took a step or put any weight on one or other leg unevenly – felt like a big horse kicking me in the crotch every single step, so I spent 9 months stuffing my face and being barely able to walk, the net result of which was a 5 stone gain by the end of the pregnancy!

Anyway I lost it after a mammoth year-long effort, including a few months on 5:2/4:3, but I have now put a stone back on, so I’m re-starting to get rid of the extra weight ASAP. I’m really motivated but tend to need instant spectacular results to keep me on a diet (as I hate dieting). But even after only a week my stomach is a lot flatter (I’ve given up fizzy, which bloats me out) so I’m very happy with how it’s going. Would love to hear others’ experiences and results – good luck everyone. xx

End of fist week and have lost 4lb!!! Very, very pleased! Have been doing 4:3 this week as am going on holiday next week, will try not to pile the pounds back on but not hopeful! However, I will go back straight on a 4:3 when I come home to try and repair the damage.

Have a great week all (by the way I have just moved out of the obese range to now just overweight!!)

PamT, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good work πŸ˜€

2fast2furious, I can fully sympathise with you as I had SPD with baby #2. Thankfully I’d already lost the weight from baby #1 before conceiving again and was more careful with eating so I only put on 2.5 stones. I’m currently 7lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight but have 10lbs to go until previous lightest.

Hi!

Im starting on monday my 5:2 diet for the first time ever πŸ™‚ im pretty obese, my bmi is over 40.
    I’ll update my measurements on monday. Now im still “enjoying” my bad habits of eating unhealthy food heh!

Im from Finland and im 24 years old. I live with my fiance and two chihuahuas. I have managed to lose weight before but i always gained it back. Now its time to try again and i feel i have a good drive going on πŸ™‚

Im sorry for the typos, im writing with my phone plus my native language is finnish so… πŸ˜€

– Natrium

Hi I’ve started this week. Doing second fast day today, wouldn’t normally fast on Saturday but had meals out in week. I really like the flexibility of this. I’ve got about 11/2 stone to lose and I’m a serial dieter, I’m hopeful that this diet could be the answer. It’s really helped reading the posts on this thread

Hi Natrium and Tricia πŸ™‚

Good luck to you both. My advice is to stick to protein foods and vegetable soup on fast days as these fill you up better. Other than that, just hang in there it gets better as time passes!

Hi. I will be having my first fast day tomorrow.

I am in my 40s and have an underactive thyroid. Previously I have been able to lose weight with a healthy diet and regular exercise, however since having my gall bladder removed 18 months ago I am piling on the weight, despite doing 7 exercise classes a week for the last 7 months. I was advised by a medical person to give this diet a shot so here I am.

I am 10 stone. BMI of 24. I only really need to lose a stone in weight, maximum, to feel comfortable, but this has been almost impossible since gall bladder removed. I have love handles for the first time ever…eek! So hope you can all help me on my journey. I will be over the moon if this works. πŸ™‚

Hi all. Best of luck to you starting tomorrow Natrium and Monstersmum. I think a lot of people choose to fast on a Monday…me included. My tip is to drink plenty, to prevent headaches and fill you up a bit, and to plan what you will eat in advance, so that you don’t have to think too much about it tomorrow. ☺

Mamamoo (love that name), I’ve noticed the heavier-wallet effect too. With two out of three of us in the house fasting, there’s been quite a dip in how much food we need to buy for the week.

Hope you all have a great last bit of the weekend.

x

Hi all. Hope I’m not too late to join. I started last week but haven’t been on the forums.

HungrySchmungry is right. Monday seems to work for me as I am always busy at work after the weekend. Also the planning to food in advance helps.

I wish I could wait all day and eat one meal, but I have nooooo chance so 150 cals for late breakfast and then late lunch of chicken salad or ham and egg salad. Then I just have to struggle through the evening…

I need to lose a stone as I’m short, 5’2″ (hee hee), and have put on weight while not training due to injury and being greedy πŸ™ I can’t get into A LOT of my clothes. Almost out of a foot cast now (2 weeks time) so hoping to get a head start. Holiday is towards the end of Sept which will be my 34th birthday.

Good luck with a new week of fasting everyone!!

Hi Monstersmum, good luck and remember the fasts get better after a couple of weeks. Just to warn you (and hopefully not put you off lol!) losses can also be a bit slow after the first 2-3 weeks if you’ve not much to lose but just stick with it and it will come off!

HungrySchmungry, my nickname comes from hubby because I call my eldest “Moo” so he calls me Mamamoo.

Idreamoflean, not too late! I’m the same height and got about 20lbs to shift. Us shorties get the rough time because 1lb makes a lot more difference to our appearance than someone taller so unfortunately a stone put on can make us feel horrid.

I want to fast today but not sure if I’ll make it. I usually go until 11-12 before eating but I’ve been up since 3 with my little monster (14mths) who is teething. I came downstairs to give him breakfast at 4 as I couldn’t let him carry on crying. Feeling hungry already which is unusual. Loving the old cartoons on Boomerang though, not seen The Flintstones in about 15 years.

Mamamoo, the good thing about 5:2 is that you can change fasting day. If you can’t do it today, you can do it tomorrow!

I also have my fasting day today after a long weekend with good food and a lot of ice cream in the sun. Today I begin week three, and after this and next week I’m going t have my first weigh in, I’m so excited! Well, excited and terrified, what if it’s not working? It feels like it’s working, but since I havn’t checked yet, how can I be sure? Oh well, I’m going to stick to it no matter what, I feel great and the fasting really forces me to deal with my issues with over eating and I really need that.

How are you all feeling so far? We have new faces popping up regularly, you are all more than welcome, every one of you! It’s not to late to join in the discussion!

Can we talk a bit about excercise? Do you train something, and in that case, what? Does it have an effect on the results you get from fasting?
    Would you like to train, and in that case, what?

A few years ago I had an accident, and havn’t been able to train much since. I did rehab for a while afterwards, but not nearly enough, and have been living with pain and trouble moving since then. After starting fasting, I get more and more motivated to start excercising again, so I’ve made an appointment with a physical therapist of sportsmedicine, and that’s a big step for me! I hope I can get started with some rehab and excercise to help me achieve my goals.

So tell me all about your excercise habbits!

Oh, and tell me something else. Does you fasting routine ever change? Last week I did 4:3 to even out the amount of fasting days, and this week I’m back on 5:2. I have always had some breakfast though, but today I’m not even that hungry so I havn’t had anything but water and coffee so far today.

Do you all stick to the same routine or does it change?

Most of the time I eat the same things, veggie soup, sallads or veggies in the oven with some thyme and lemon on them. I’m a vegetarian so I skip protein most of my fast days but it’s amazing of how much veggies that fits in the 500 k. Are doing my 4th fast today, and have lost around 3 lbs so far.

Was on it last autumn and did loose 8lbs in 1 month, but think that was a bit much too fast, and got some health issues and decided to skip the fast until I was back on track with my life. But have just pushed it forward until 10 days ago.

I’m trying to run at least twice a week, and will start doing yoga in the autumn when the new term start at most studios.

Wow Gingerbeard sounds like you’ve had a rough time! I really hope your therapist can work out a suitable exercise plan for you to minimise pain. Perhaps the exercise might help with pain reduction over time. I have been mainly walking as I have 2 young children but the eldest starts school in September so the baby will take her place at nursery. That will give me one morning free. I will probably go to Zumba as the gym I (used to but still have membership) go to does a class on thurs mornings. I went for several months before Christmas but then I became very unwell and had to take time off to recover and have tests in hospital etc. I’m proud of myself for maintaining my weight within a 3lb window and now I’m starting again where I left off. Also considering the plank challenge but a little slower because I have a weak stomach borderline hernia but not yet perforated and I’d like to try and fix it without surgery. Anyone tried it?

Morning everyone! 3rd fast day for me today. My first two last week went well, but I did feel decidedly odd on Saturday, after my second one. A bit lethargic, and a slight feeling of hunger despite eating plenty. Hopefully that’s just my body getting used to it!

I’ve decided that a small late lunch (100 cals) then a decent dinner works best for me. I don’t think I could cope with breakfast then waiting so long for dinner! Also, having 400 cals at dinner makes it easier to eat normally with my hubby.

I don’t know when my second fast day will be this week, as I’ve got lots of family things going on. Might even have to do it on Sunday. Back to normal routine next week, and I think I’m going to fast Mondays and Wednesday, with the option of moving it to Thursday if needed.

Oh, and I’ve lot 4 lbs so far! I know that will slow down, but considering I didn’t eat healthily over the weekend, I’m pretty pleased with that! I’ve got about 50lbs to lose, so I’m not surprised to lose a lot at first.

Hello everybody. Just wanted to share my experience and commit myself to starting afresh on the 5:2. I did it last year from March to June and came down from 257lbs to 203lbs. As the weight came off my confidence grew and I began to excercise more and more, cycling and walking. I hit a wall at 203lbs and my wife told me not to lose any more and as well as that I was starting to feel cold all the time, I mean in June I was going to bed in thermal underwear and t-shirt and jogging pants. I’m not tall, 5’11” and my ‘ideal’ weight is around 175lb according to all the charts. Just wondered if anyone had similar experiences. Back to 234lbs as of this morning.

Moonpie don’t worry about feeling cold unless you feel unwell. I’m prone to feeling cold, especially hands and feet. My dad is a little taller than you and currently weighs about 150lbs, he feels the cold more in the winter but does wear long sleeves on days I would consider to be too warm for that kind of clothing. Part of the cold feeling is your body readjusting. Just think how insulating excess body fat is. My one true “fat” summer at my heaviest and I was so uncomfortable all the time. Now 45lbs lighter it’s a lot more bearable. Losing that much weight in such a short space of time is bound to have a noticeable effect on body temperature.

Thanks Mamamoo, it did make me a bit wary of sticking to the plan rigorously again. I never once felt unwell doing the diet, in fact quite the opposite although that was down in large part to the confidence boost I got. I have been able to lose weight every week since then but after the weekend I’m always +1/2lbs from the previous week so I need to remember that what I eat/drink Friday to Sunday is my downfall.

Hi, Count me in too. I’m just starting today, first Fast Day. So far so good, but it is only 11:40! I’ve been looking forward to starting this for about a week. I need to loose LOADS, about four stone if I’m honest, but a couple of stone would be great. Any support or advice would be great.

Hi Moonpie
    I think that feeling cold is normal as we lose weight
    I have lost 21kg over the last 18 months (from 91 to 70) and I think my protective fat layer has diminished!
    I wear mittens all the time (very cold mid-winter in Hobart at the moment) and just feel the cold more than I have ever done.
    The up side is never felt better or fitter
    So keep at it, it is worth it
    best wishes for ongoing fasting
    Vicki

Hi everyone and happy monday!

Today’s been my first fastday and it has gone well so far. Im just driving back to home from work so the hardest part of the day is just starting (its 4pm here now). When im at work, i dont feel as hungry as i’d feel at home plus you always have to do something when you’re at work!

I feel a bit faint but thats because it has been almost 5h since i last ate something. But that’ll change soon πŸ™‚ yum!

Someone asked about exercising: I also would like to hear about your exercising on fastdays. What kind of exercise do you do? I know, there’s a topic about this already but but… πŸ™‚

Thanks a lot to all of you who gave me tips regarding fastdays. Really great advice and i’ll definitely use them. Its nice to have a support group ^^

And welcome Julie!

So I will definitely break my fast today, really hot day and have just been invited to a pool party with bbq, but are not beating myself up, just have to do the fast tomorrow instead.And on the bright side, I only have had around 100 kcal today so will be able to eat with good conscience!

Glad to hear everyone’s having a good Monday! I managed to make it to 2pm on just liquid but started to feel a bit faint because I’m tired & hot so I had some smoked peppered trout with mixed vegetables. Hopefully I can take the dog for a good long walk later but it depends on when my husband gets home. Definitely another early night if I’m expecting to be up around 3-4am again!

Hi everyone!

My husband and I started 5:2 today and having our first fast day, which will be Monday and Thursday. I want to lose just over a stone and my husband about the same. I have to say I do have mixed feelings, particularly with the calorie counting and the speed and inconsistency of the weight loss.

I lost just under 3 stone on Dukan a couple of years ago and I found it very easy to stick to because I didn’t particularly crave carbs and I didn’t have to calorie count. I am a very results-driven person and that is what motivates me to carry on. When I did Dukan I didn’t lose anything for the first couple of weeks and got very demoralised, but once I started to lose it was pretty consistent. From what I’ve read, it sounds as though I’m going to have to be very patient.

Good to “meet” you all and wish you luck!

Monday Monday! its all going well, 21 hours total fast so far. Exercise when fasting is tricky, Id recommend from experience doing vigorous exercise at the start of a fast then the light stuff like walking towards the end.

Hi MrsG! If you are noticing slow results after a couple of weeks then you can do 4:3 to kickstart losses again. This plan is not targeted at fast weight loss though, more of a slow and steady approach. Make sure to check your TDEE to make sure you’re not overeating on non-fast days as many people (myself included) don’t need 2000 calories each day. I had to adjust my calories last week and lost an extra pound this week as a result. Good luck πŸ™‚

Hi MrsG and welcome:

The way 5:2 works is you go to bed, get up, eat 5/600 or fewer calories during your waking hours, go to bed, get up and eat to your TDEE or less – twice a week. On all 7 days of the week you can eat foods you want to eat – there are no forbidden foods, or foods you have to eat. For the first month or so focus on doing your diet days correctly (5/600 calories or less) and most everything else will fall into place.

Here is what TDEE means: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

And here are some tips for beginners: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

Thanks, mamamoo. I’m not really looking for a fast loss, just steady and consistent. Just something to keep me motivated really.

I’ve got my TDEE and it’s only 1432, so I will need to keep a close eye on things, although I do tend to eat relatively healthy generally.

Thanks for the info and the links, Simcoeluv. I’ll take a look.

Yay! I have made through the day! Soon it’ll be bedtime and i have brushed my teeth (helps when you have a craving for something).

Im feeling hungry but thats about it. The world didnt collapse or anything heh. also the meaning of food is more clear to me even now after one day. Im not craving for fatty foods or sugar. Just normal regular and healthy food.

I’ve drinked plenty of water and for that i had to run to the toilet like 10 times today heh πŸ™‚ but the body gets used to larger amounts of water after you drink it for a while.

Have a lovely evening everyone! Its going to be another hot day (+28) tomorrow here in Finland, huh!

I started today, very sceptical but here is what I have had today.
    21st July, 2014
    Breakfast
    Black coffee
    Mid morning
    Black coffee
    Lunchtime
    Pot of Porridge 182 calories
    Aternoon
    3 cups black coffee
    Teatime
    Kiev 352 calories
    4 cherry tomatoes
    4 slices beetroot
    4 pickled onions
    Lettuce
    Cup of tea with a drop of skimmed milk

Does that sound alright? I am a bloke, aged 50, not sure of my BMI but I am obese and weigh 20stone 12 pounds.

Load of encouragement needed. I get married in a couple of months so would like to have lost a bit.

Hooray Natrium! Glad you got through it ok, well done πŸ™‚

Hi Jacaru, well done! I personally would have had more veggies because they are very low calorie so there’s a lot more substance (vitamins & fibre) for your allowance. Was the Kiev homemade? Protein is very good as it’s more filling. The store ones are not so good because the added fat, salt & fake breadcrumbs waste calories. A grilled chicken breast might have been a better choice. But you stayed within your calorie count so that’s fantastic keep it up πŸ™‚

Hi jacaru.congratulations on being soon to be married mate. Couple of things to note:
    You gain weight because you consume more than your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) the more you go over and the longer time you exceed this for the more you gain. There is only one way to reverse this and no quick fix.

There is about 3k calories in a lb of fat. When your body is catabolic (using stored energy) you burn a percentage of muscle to fat.

It just so happens that fasting is an extremely effective way of burning fat to muscle and a very efficient way of keeping your weekly calorie intake low and still being able to enjoy eating the things you like in moderation.

So:
    Don’t expect miracles.
    Don’t get down if you mess up, it’s a marathon not a sprint. Fasting is hard to begin with but gets easier
    do measure bmi and work out your tdee (I reccomend an app called fitbit for tdee)
    Do drink lots of water.
    Do keep a PMA ( positive mental attitude) you are the only factor in succeeding or failing.

There’s no reason that you won’t get many comments about how good you’re looking, if your dedicated I would expect you could drop below 19 st 7 in two months as a 35+ bmi frame is easily at 3k tdee.

Best of luck mate.

My first week 4:3 went well – I was sooo strict and stayed well within my TDEE, even though that’s about 3 Calories for someone my height, haha! It was really hard at first but I’m in the zone now – even did a back to back 2 day fast for the first time ever and the second day was easy peasy. I’m a massive breakfast person and can’t usually do without even on fast days, but I did it and found lunch and dinner was much easier and nicer. And I have lost 5 lbs! I have totally kicked my caffeine habit, I only ever drank coke and tea/coffee before, so it was quite bad, but I drink water all day long now and feel much better for it – I’m awake and chirpy in the morning, yay! My bloated tummy is gone and looks pretty flat now. Hope everyone else is going this well! xx

2fast2furious I’m so glad you had a good week. I also did a 4:3 and lost 2.5lbs. Breakfast used to be big for me but now I don’t bother as it makes me hungrier. I’ve also cut down dramatically on bad carbs so my yummy is less bloated too. Pat on the back all round πŸ˜€

Haha stupid autocorrect should say tummy not yummy LOL!!!

Good morning all
    The 5:2 diet was suggested by my doctor yesterday – we’re hoping it will help with all my assorted aches and pains.
    I have a LOT of weight to lose – initially 5 stones.
    I’ve ordered the book this morning.
    First fast day today – wish me luck!

Loool – well it might be a yummy as well, haha!
    Good luck Dawn, you can do it! It’s only hard the first few times so you just need to get them out the way. xx

Morning everyone!

Well my 3rd fast day seemed really easy! I got less hungry as the day went on, and by the time dinner was ready I felt I could have easily gone without! I don’t expect they will all be like that, but it was nice to find it easier than last week.

Now I just need to make sure I don’t overeat the rest of the time

Welcome dawn57! I’m a newbie too, just started yesterday with my first fasting day, and I have to say it went really well. I’m waiting with anticipation for the books to arrive!

Hope this works for you with your aches and pains. Good luck!

Thanks for the good wishes, woke up this morning, day two, and don’t feel hungry.

3 fast days gone and into my second week so I weighed myself this morning. 4LB lost and 3 inches off my waist. Woohoo! I do realise that losing so much is easier at the start of 5:2 so I don’t expect this to continue, but a steady loss of 1LB per week will be fine. Next fast day on Thursday.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

3 fast days gone and into my second week so I weighed myself this morning. 4LB lost and 3 inches off my waist. Woohoo! I do realise that losing so much is easier at the start of 5:2 so I don’t expect this to continue, but a steady loss of 1LB per week will be fine. Next fast day on Thursday.

Good luck to everyone

Toby

PS Mamamoo – Toby is my dogs name too:)

I’ve managed to post twice! How do you delete a post? Can any one help please?

Toby

I don’t think you can delete a post. 4lbs over 3 fasts is impressive, 3″ of waist is brilliant. Keep at it, from personal experience, it can take a while for you to psychologically adapt to how much thinner you’re looking (in your own mind after a while you can get caught into thinking you haven’t changed much when in fact you look totally different so doing waist measurements regularly is a good move. Photos are also good, 14.5st+ photo vs 11st 7 photo doesn’t tell lies!

Wow everyone is doing so well πŸ˜€

Welcome Dawn! Have you calculated your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) on here yet? I use myfitnesspal app to track my calories to make sure I stay under that level on non-fast days and 500cals on fast days or I overeat. Best advice I can offer is fill up on veggies and protein and watch the non-fast days. Any questions we’re all ears. Good luck πŸ™‚

Wow, I’m so glad you are all finding eachother and giving eachother support! You are all doing great, and I’m glad I have you all to share this journey!

Anyway, yesterday I began my third week with a fasting day, went fine. I spent the afternoon with my GF and the time flew and I didn’t even think about hunger. The feeling of hunger by the way is changing, have the rest of you noticed that? Hunger doesn’t feel quite the same anymore. It doesn’t bother me at all, and sometimes even feels quite nice for a while because the reward of eating becomes bugger, and you don’t even have to eat that much!

Yesterday I had my fasting day, I keep them around 450-470 cals, and tomorrow I will have my next one. I was planning on doing 4:3 this week as well, but my family suddenly decided to some visit me on friday and throughout the weekend. Friday nights with the family usually contains a lot more than 500 cals worth of wine, so I don’t have any illusions. But next week should be ideal for three days of fasting!

Over all, I feel great. I feel self confident, I feel healthy, and perhaps it’s a bit silly, but I feel pretty πŸ™‚ I don’t think that anything has really changed over the past two Β½ weeks, but just the decision to lose weight and sticking to 5:2 is working for my self image.

Keep up the good work everyone! Hopefully this thread survives two more weeks, because then it should be time for some monthly updates!! Exiting, and terrifying at the same time. I’m 16 days away from my first weigh in, and I really hope you all stick around to share with me!

Well done Gingerbeard. Hunger is a funny one, I believe after fasting for a while you lose your food “addiction” and then feel only a real primal instinct to eat after long periods of calorie deficit. Best of luck with the first weigh in, its often a surprising and happy experience!

hi everyone this is my first day, not feeling to bad, i need to lose a least 2st,will be great watching how we all do xx

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply.