Side Effects to the Planet

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sivasankar 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Has anyone thought about the positive (can’t think of any negative) side effects to the planet?

I often wonder if only 10% of world’s population follow this diet what impact that would have to the environment and the food business?

– That is 700 million people skipping 4 meals a week, roughly 200 meals a year per person

– Total – 140 Billion Meals a year, @1500 calories for each meal … I let you do the math (the planet will probably spin a lot smoother and faster !!!)

– If average cost of meal is US $1 (I know it is very low or too high depending on which part of the world you are from or if you are making food yourself or eating out etc) – that is $140 Billion saved for the people who followed the diet

– $140 Billion less revenue for the food companies – but more for the consumers to spend on new clothes and toys, we have to keep the economy moving… :).  If the food companies are smart enough, maybe they will come out with fast-diet pre-packaged food – 500 or 600 calories.

– If everyone loses 10 pounds on an average, that is 7 Billion pounds – equivalent of ~45 Million less people.

– Imagine what this will do to the food price, environment and health industry.

– I am planning to donate 50% of money saved to charity to feed the poor. Let us make a difference.

Best wishes to everyone… Stay healthy.

@sivasankar: Yes there’s definitely a good ecological argument for benfits to  the planet as a result of large scale intermittent fasting!It would be great to be able to measure the number of pounds lost.  I like your idea of donating part of your savings. Brilliant idea and good luck!

Thanks Dr Michael.

If you were ever in Chicago, please let me know 🙂

I was at the “superdawg” place few weeks back and enjoyed a hot dog without feeling guilty. Thanks again.

Interesting post, Sivsankar! 🙂 And you forgot to mention all the waste product that we are not generating 😉 Think that many people eat packaged or take-away food that comes in not so very environment-friendly plastic or cardboard containers. If you avoid throwing cointainers away even if it’s just once or twice a week – even if you recycle them – you are already doing a lot!

I’m pretty sure that soon enough there will be companies selling ready-to-eat fast diet foods. After all, in many countries they sell Weight Watchers foods with their points content.

I like your suggestion of donating the money you save to a charity 😀 It’s really beautiful and it feels as if it completes a cycle: you do something positive for yourself, and you do something positive for other people at the same time.

I definitely think it is a positive for the most part. Because a plant-based diet is low in calories, I tend to eat more fruits and veggies and less processed foods on my fast days. So, my diet will consist of oatmeal and fruit, hard boiled eggs, lentil soup and fruit throughout the day. I eat more raw, fresh veggies and fruits because they are so low in calories. I can eat a few crackers or an apple. (I’m going to pick the apple every time)

@arielle

Glad to hear. I do eat better and my kids too. I am feeling good about eating better and losing weight and overall fitness improvement. And also introduced this to some of my colleagues and family members.

How are your results so far?

I really love the idea of donating the savings from my reduced grocery shopping to help those struggling with true hunger.

And as you mentioned sivasankar it’s also good for an overburdened planet. Win, win situations.

Thanks for bringing these thoughts up, they put our personal struggles/reflections into a larger context!

@sivasankar
    “Has anyone thought about the positive (can’t think of any negative) side effects to the planet?”

Decades ago, John Robbins came out with a book, “Diet for a New America”. It shifted my thinking & I eliminated animal products from my eating. The impact of changing our food consumption on a global scale has huge ecological implications for the better. Most of it is ignored as evidenced of where our planet is as a result of climate change.

http://www.johnrobbins.info/other-books-by-john/diet-for-a-new-america/

It’s unfortunate, but true, that the world has voted with their stomachs resulting with inaction & even more negative effects to our planet.

While the intentions are positive by many people, little has been done to slow down a world crisis.

I have hope in humanity to come up with a workable solution and IF may be a start in that direction.

@rockyromero

Found the post where you recommended this book – After reading this book, I have stopped eating meat since beginning of Oct and never felt better.

Thanks again rocky.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.