September Challenge

This topic contains 1,413 replies, has 92 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 1,414 total)

• Day 3 – USA – NFD

I ran 7 miles with my group this morning, which was great! I always enjoy a few more calories on my long run days. It hasn’t seemed to hinder my loss. Since Monday is Labor Day here, I will change my fast days to Tues and Thursday this week. I will be running fasted Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon, so I’ll see how that goes. I should burn more fat!

I weighed this morning and I’m down .8 lbs this week. My starting weight for this challenge is 151.4. I want to get in the 140s during this challenge. I haven’t been there in over 10 years!!

Great job, everyone! Keep up the good work.

Sunshine Coast Aus Day 4: Happy Fathers Day to all those dads out there. You’re continuing to do well Neostaford.
    Managed my liquid fast and have clocked up 36 hours so far. May follow in your footsteps B2tF.
    Loved Merryme’s entry. Such good advice. I remember Coldpizza actually put a rope around her fridge at one stage which caused me to lol. Whatever helps us / galvanises us is good for the journey. Visualising that picture of myself at 70kgs is thrilling and where I aim to be. Bring.it.on!

Wonder all veg slicer

Day 4 Australia NFD
    Pretty happy with yesterday’s nfd. Didn’t over eat at all. Listened to my body, had a lovely healthy brunch and dinner, then did have a treat dessert with my husband, but didn’t have much and was easily under tdee for the day. Not just that as I’m mostly always under, it was how I felt about food choices I made, and how I listened to my body to how much I needed. It was a nice change for me. That’s how I want to feel.
    Today is father’s day here and we are making a roast with yorkshire puddings and brownies with ice cream for dessert. At the moment I’m feeling like I will be able to just eat what I need and not more. I don’t even want any brownies and ice cream at the moment so hopefully I will be able to follow through with that tonight! Hopefully this in control feeling lasts!😉
    Good luck everyone and keep up the good work!

Extra post: Just re-reading the posts and Saltyseabird, I can remember saying to Mark S that I feel deprived of food when I see others can have it and his answer was ” deprived of what, extra weight and fat, a fit healthy body, clear skin, feeling good about yourself?” I felt like a real git and you have hit the nail on the head. It’s what you say to yourself and how you say it. Even saying I’m not feeding myself that junk is pretty negative whereas saying I’m feeding myself this delicious vital food is giving me the body I want is really positive and reaffirming. Both of them are true but I feel better about the second bit of self talk.

Day 4 / Tweed Coast Australia / FD

Swell of emotion strengthened this morning. Good today is a FD or I might have already been snacking or bingeing. Instead I’m facing doing something that, yesterday I ignored, put in hard basket and wanted to hide from. Today am making a stab at it and just being with the vulnerability that arises.

I’m extra hungry because of the extra emotion around this issue and I’m respecting that.

Great post Fuvvie. I like what Mark S said about being deprived of extra weight and fat!

Day 3 USA. Tried to have a FD today , but the potluck at work was too tempting and I gave in. Maybe I will be more successful tomorrow. I am down a pound from my vacation weight gain. Stay strong everyone.

Croatia, Day 4, NFD
    Weight: 79.2 Kg

Thank you Fuvvie!

Day 3/ USA/ NFD
    Sorry to post so late; just a bit (30 minutes) under the wire.
    NFD…….. Did fine yesterday at restaurant. Ordered grilled shrimp. Not good later at home. Two glasses of wine at the restaurant increased my appetite, later. Had to have melted cheese on crackers. I still wasn’t over calories that much. But, that is something I need to stop….a couple glasses wine increases my appetite so much and then I have cheese on crackers or something carby. Tonight, the same problem. My OH and I have had a lovely time in the last two nights, together. So, I guess we will just have to fast an extra time this next week. That’s the beauty of this WOE. We can have a great time together and also minimal guilt because we know we can fast to deal with the over-indulgences.
    Wishing the best of luck and loveliness to everyone.

Day 4 – Switzerland – NFD
    Yesterday’s FD went well – part of the reason for this, I’m sure, is that I only ever have four or five different foods to weigh and measure.
    I’d like to get back into yoga so went to a workshop to remind me of the basics. Felt fantastic but a few achy muscles today.
    I’m trying to find strategies to help with NFDs. I can’t recall whose idea it was, but I’m off to find a NFD bracelet to wear, to remind me to be mindful every time I lift food to my mouth (bobbing for apples doesn’t count…)
    Good luck today especially to everyone feting Fathers’ Day!

D4, Australia. NFD

I seem to be making good choices and I’m travelling nicely. I hope it’s like that for most of you, if not don’t ever stop trying.

gooseylucey, I put 2 tsp of miso paste in a mug of boiling water and have that at lunch and dinner time, I have a coffee or two with a bit of soy milk and maybe a tea or two without milk, I also drink a lot of water.
    I drink a glass of water with a couple of tsps of apple cider vinegar just before bed.

Day 4 / DE / yesterday IF 23/1.

Have a nice Sunday! 🌄

Day 4 England,
    Good NF day yesterday, I could have easily gone off the rails though, having planned and prepared ahead saved the day. Nuts in screw top jars, at top,top, of cupboards, no biscuits,cake,chocolate ect,ect in the house, I know if this stuff had been available I would have eaten it! Sometimes I just wander into the kitchen open the cupboard and grab a handful of something without even noticing.
    Menu
    Yog, peat, walnuts
    Avacado salad
    Smoked haddock chowder
    2 glasses of wine
    Thanks for the insight violet, fasting tomorrow, will try 36 hrs.
    Goosey X.

Good morning all – DAY4 and 2nd fast day of the month – Start weight is 66.6kg – for short person like me its a lot – manage to do a session of yoga and session of 45 cycling.

Any other tips i should follow for the challenge as this is my first fasting challenge – last month i did on my own and lost 3.1kg.

thanks all …

Day 4 Italy – NFD
    Feeling Lots better, looking forward to being able to go to the wedding this afternoon and being able to enjoy myself. Well, in one way or another i have met my target…i wanted to be under 75kg today and i’m 73kg! Next week i shall try a couple of fasts.but i think i’ll eat my 500 cals instead of liquid fasting at least for a little while. So today shall be a Feast Day…hurrah!

Day 4:NFD:UK
    I have enough food from yesterday to do for all our meals today. This afternoon we are going to a retail park. It is in between meal times, between lunch & dinner: September challenge: do not eat between meals. I will not go into Costa for a fancy (calorie full) coffee: September challange: drinks are tea, instant coffee, water or diet coke when it all gets too much. I will not have a glass of wine tonight when kids are in bed: September challenge: no alcohol. Bset wishes to you all for today.

Additional post: caved in at 2pm. That’s 42 hours. How’s this for a quote from Robert Louis Stevenson “sooner or later we all sit down to a banquet of consequences “. It really resonated with me. It’s written in the book I’m currently engrossed in “I Am Pilgrim” by Terry Hayes. Used in a totally different context but tickled my fancy.

Day 4 struggling with FD’s i get bad indigestion when i fast wakes me up through the night sick all day any ideas people.will try again tomorrow.

Day 4: Gloucestershire UK: Non-fast day. Did a successful 36-hour water fast yesterday. Down 2 pounds! Big and lovely breakfast. My challenge is the non-fast days….put simply, I EAT TOO MUCH on them. This week, for the first time in 25 years, I am at my target weight and must now be very mindful of not going more than 2 pounds up without fasting again. I have the next week off work which will be doubly challenging. Must stay strong, right?
    Have a great day everyone out there.

UK day 4 not too bad a NFD yesterday, downfall was the beers I enjoyed on my afternoon seafront walk, good to see many of you are going alcohol free for September, I admire you but total abstinence hasn’t worked for me in the past think I’ll try to revert to the old tried and tested a glass of water every other drink , another NFD today gearing up for a FD tomorrow

Well done Ciren, don’t be too hard on yourself you must be doing something right, great achievement .

Hey k-lo sorry for not coming back sooner. and yes my first time, starting in San Fran and working my way down to LA and then onto San Diego. Any recommendations/places to visit?

I have about 15 kilos to lose. My problem is eating late as can be good all day and then the dreaded lat night hunger kicks in. I’ve been suffering with depression so have definitely been comfort eating and need to change my ways to be honest.

I’m planning on fasting monday and wednesday of this week, whilst trying to combine with 16:8. Wish me luck guys, I’m going to need it!

Day #4/USA/NFD

Good Morning!

I missed my check-in yesterday as I had an early start to my day to meet some friends to go to a race. It was a 5k with inflatable obstacles along the way! It was fun, but the terrain was VERY mountainous and slippery. I made it over all the 11 obstacles, but some of them were quite challenging.

I have several NFD’s in a row and am hoping not to stray too far. I typically fast on Mondays, but this Monday is a holiday here and I’ll be at the golf course. When I’m not in my normal routine, FD’s become very difficult. Maybe a Tuesday/Thursday fast schedule this week?

Hope you all are doing well!

Fishing Gran, I take prescribed daily medication for reflux. Don’t eat after 6 / 6.30 pm and have a tsp or two of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before bed, this has really helped me. I hope it helps you too.

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum but not new to the 5:2 diet. In the past year I’ve lost two stone that I didn’t know I had to lose. I’m 52 and a mother of three young teenagers who do not stop eating! As a result over the summer school holidays I have kept them company in their food eating habits and have gained 5 lbs despite trying to maintain my exercise regime (which I love). I know I’m a few days late but would love to join the September challenge to keep me motivated and meet like minded people.

Day 4|NFD|Ontario,Canada
    Over TDEE yesterday with a mix of nutritious, properly portioned, food through the day but not an adequate amount of protein in the evening that sent me into snacking mode as we watched old movies. Visiting at a somewhat remote cottage, I find I give into available snack food. Poor eating is somewhat countered by being outside and active most of the day, but not enough to burn off the excess. Here for another 2 days so my routine, and access to better food choices,will remain thrown off; but then our task is to learn better food choice in real world situations so body changes are sustainable.
    Best regards to all with thanks for your motivating personal stories.

USb, Day 4, nfd. 119.7. Managed to eat sensibly eating out with friends last night. Only one cocktail. Only one bite of hubby’s dessert. Waiting for Hernine.

Amc18, my sister was just in SF. She took a walking tour Wild San Francisco that she highly recommends. Wildsftours.com.

My son and his gf are in San Diego right now. I can check.

Day 3/uk/NFD. Yesterday (Saturday)

chicken enchiladas with salad, 5km indoor bike. Grapes for snack

Day 4 – USA (Utah – visiting) NFD

Doing pretty well. We opted away from the all-you-can-eat-buffet restaurant last night (even though it sounds pretty good) and went to a BBQ place. Ribs, chicken and some sides with one beer. Decided it may have put me over TDEE for the day, but no dessert or other extraneous calories.

Congrats to all of you who are making 5:2 work for you! I am trying to do a power walk each day of 15 minutes even on my FD’s. Every few days I am going to a gym for at least a 30 minute stint on machines. At 68, staving off osteoporosis is a goal of mine.

Be strong, everyone!

Gozo, Malta

Ciren congratulations on reaching your target weight. To maintain Dr Mousley suggests fasting once a week. When I reach my target weight that’s what I’ll do I think. It’s good not to allow yourself not to go over 2 lbs or one kilo.

Sarah Louise M welcome to this challenge. DebbieQ will tell you what to do. We normally start by stating the country we’re from and whether we’re fasting or not on that day. Also our weight once in a while and at least once a week.

Today I weighed myself again and I’m 68.1 kilos down from 68.8 kilos last Thursday. My BMI is 25.6. I’ve lost 11.1 kilos since 6 June. I’m trilled. I’ll weigh again next Thursday.

This morning I only had regular coffee with semi skimmed milk and nothing else. However we ordered Chinese food for lunch and I ate until I was full but had no dessert or wine. This evening I’ll have something light such as a glass vegetable smoothie or a yogurt.

Tomorrow is a fast day for my husband and I.

Have a great Sunday everyone. Keep strong and remember tomorrow is another day.

Surrey UK Day 4……FD today, finally back home, ready to start in earnest. Will read all the posts when all packing washing and ironing is done!

Sorry I haven’t checked in. Manic weekend. Will be in tomorrow morning.

Day 4. Sussex U.K.
    NFD today. Keep busy I think and will fast again tomorrow.
    Thanks for advice Merryme. Have ordered a fridge magnet demanding I “step away from the fridge NOW’. Lol. Have a great day everyone.

Day 4. NJUSA FD Labor Day weekend here in the US awaiting the arrival of Hermione and one gathering after the other. After reading the post on TDEE I have been able to keep snacking and alcohol under control.
    Amazing that you can go to a party enjoy yourself talk with friends and not have a plate of food or a drink other than water in your hands at all times. Have managed to stay under tdee but I’m looking forward to my fast day tomorrow. lots of party food and alcohol for the last 3 days ending with the dinner party I am giving tonight. I am really looking forward to a day to give my body a rest. I think this 5:2 idea is really
    starting to sink into my unconsciousness looking forward to seeing what weight drop I have on Tuesday
    morning. Definitely weighing in every day will not work for me too much fluctuation. Have a great day
    everyone.

Day 4 FD 139 lbs. FD yesterday also.

UK day 4 – FD. Gone reasonably well today. OH just cooking a wee smoked fish and rice thing that he often does on a SUnday to save me having to be in the kitchen. Think I’m tired enough from a busy day to have an early night – and that will get me away from temptation at my weakest time.
    See you tomorrow!
    Mx

Day 4 Barnet England.

A little confused – does FD mean fast day or food day? Either way today was non fast day, but have been reasonably good. Small homemade blueberry muffin and coffee for breakfast and a ham and Brie panini for lunch – thin slice of ham and not tooo much Brie – it is good because it melts nicely and oozes over the ham. Trying to be good on both fasting and non fasting days for September. Have set up a menu for next week for evening meals with calorie count – and no alcohol during the week. My husband is doing this with me which will make it easier. Evening meal is a rack of ribs – I have made my own barbecue sauce so at least I know what is in it.

Fast day tomorrow – also back to work after a holiday – also makes it easier – less time to think about food!

Have a good week everyone. 😉

Day 4 Los Angeles. NFD. Busy busy busy. Tunku, FD generally means Fast day; NFD = non-fast day. Of course, “fast” doesn’t necessarily mean “no food at all” in 5:2 — it’s a day that you eat no more than 25% of your TDEE.

Thank you for that Micky42

Day 4 Sussex NFD
    Still keeping Primal! Eggs and sautéed zucchini for brunch and a few nuts as a snack. Sunday night is usually fish and chips (homemade) so this evening I will have salmon with salad and just a few chips.
    Had a good 2 mile walk with sprints this afternoon.
    Weigh in this morning 59.4kgs – first time under 60kg for several years – Yey!

Day 4 USA FD
    I typed my post but must have forgotten to hit submit! Anyway.., here it goes again.
    Weighed in at 175.4 lb this morning after a NFD – up slightly from 175.2 so not too bad. Decided to make today a FD.
    Question: Has anyone had good results going to 3 FD per week instead of 2? I’m considering Sun. Tues.Thurs. for the first 2 weeks of September Challenge. Really want to make my goal of losing 8 lbs by September 29 as that will be our 50 anniversary.
    Reading the daily posts are so encouraging and informative.

Hi Maui:

This post will allow you to estimate ‘how much more’ weight you might lose with 4:3 over 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

As a practical matter, most that try find they do not lose that much more with the one additional day. It seems they tend to eat more on their non diet days than they do with 5:2.

Good Luck!

Maui, each to his own, but I needed to go up to 3 X fast-days per week after a few weeks to kick-start my weight-loss after a plateau. Try not to fast more than you need to in order to lose one or two pounds per week, then you have something in reserve for later on, if you need it.

Thanks for the helpful and speedy replies from Ciren2 and simcoeluv as both were very helpful. I will try the 4:3 for only 2 weeks, being very mindful of calories on the NFD.
    Now I’m off to buy a ton of low calorie organic veggies! We have a fresh fish market around the corner – will blow the budget and pick up some mahi or ono to go with organic greens for dinner.
    Wishing success to our September Challenge team. You are absolutely awesome!

London-day4-NFD

Weekends are completely off the chart for me in terms of trying to keep healthy and sugar-free! I tried but failed 🙁 Saying that, I did manage to only eat when I’m hungry and not snack in between.

In terms of working outs – did a 5k Parkrun on Saturday. It was a pleasant day and did myself proud with a new PB 🙂
    Simcoeluv – your post about weight loss is very interesting and somewhat controversial (lol) judging by the responses 🙂 It actually nicely explains my slow weight loss. As frustrating as it is, exercise is my ‘anti-depressant’. The change in my body shape has been more significant than the actual change on the scales.

Day 4 / NFD/ Derby, UK

Some really helpful stuff here, thank you simcoeluv and Ciren2.
    Not had the best NFD today. Made some (almost) sugar free snacks for friends that were coming over (dark chocolate almond cookies and popcorn) and not surprisingly, proceeded to snack on and off all day instead of eating meals.
    On the up side, I’m probably not over my TDEE as I only had one proper meal of roast chicken and vegetables. Down side;I broke my intention not to snack between/instead of meals.
    On a side note, doing LCHF and feel like I’ve eaten sooo much fat, it can’t be healthy.
    Tomorrow is another day. Looking forward to a 36 hour liquid fast.

Second post: If anyone want to have a look, I’ve started an Instagram account as a way of keeping motivated and on track while I lose my considerable heft. Check out ‘BulletproofBeth’ for my recipes and pictures (eek!) of my weight loss journey with Drs Moseley and Fung. x

Hi Pissupoosa:

I assume you are referring to my Exercise post. Exercise is an excellent natural antidepressant. But it takes a ridiculous amount of exercise for a fat person starting a diet to burn enough calories to make a difference. And that does not account for the tendency for them to eat more because they have been ‘good’ and exercised.

Some that responded initially did not even read it. Some just blindly believed that exercise alone could cause significant weight loss. However, research has shown exercise has little to do with weight loss.

These new ‘fitness trackers’ that purport to measure activity and assign a ‘calories burned’ number are fun, but wildly inconsistent and inaccurate. There is post somewhere on this site by a user who amassed 10,000 steps while riding on a bumpy bus.

But another reason why they are so inaccurate (both wearables and those attached to exercise equipment) is that they cannot account for a person’s genes. One interesting study showed that people doing precisely the same amount of the same exercise burned much different levels of calories. One person would burn, say 500 cal. while another would burn only 400. That is why people that want to ‘eat back’ their ‘burned calories’ often find themselves not losing weight, and maybe even gain weight. There are quite a few complaints on some product related sites that they are doing exactly what their trackers recommend but gaining weight.

Anyway, exercise is the best thing you can do to improve your health (unless you smoke – stop), but you do not need to exercise to lose weight.

Simcoeluv – yes, I am and I agree with you about the contribution of exercise to weight loss. I thought exactly the same before (i.e more you workout, more weight you lose), but now having read Dr Fung’s book and started intermittent fasting, I realise that’s not the case. It’s also a lot more complicated as you say – contribution of genes etc. I think we’ve been taught to think in a certain way by the ‘so called experts’ and we don’t question it anymore, even when their methods don’t work.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 1,414 total)

You must be logged in to reply.