Really slow weight loss?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Really slow weight loss?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Arielle 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

• Hi all, I started 31/2 weeks ago, done 6 fast days so far. I only have 1 stone to lose, so non much. To date I’ve lost 3lbs, I per week, plus 1/2 an inch off my bust. None of my other measurements have changed. Has any one else found their weight loss / inch loss really slow?

hi Eowyn 3066
    welcome to the forums. well done on your loss so far, id say youve lost lots in the short time youve been doing the plan, slow and steady wins the race, dont forget you only have 14lbs in total to lose. 3lb is great! xx

Weighed in today, no change from last week! How very annoying!

One pound a week is what you would expect if cutting calories by about 3000 per week on your two fast days

I’m on my second week! I didn’t lose any weight my first week, which was so discouraging that I almost quit. This week, I lost 4lbs! I started watching what I eat on my non-fast days n drinking more water. I hope the loss continues. I do drink wine on my non-fast days, which worries me a bit. Does regular alcohol consumption hinder the weight loss?

Hello All

I can’t actually remember when i started the diet, But i think it is at least over 6 weeks!

I am not losing any weight at all, But i think that i may be losing it in inches. Is this normal?

Also, i have 4 small children, So they are on holiday @ the moment. I am not doing as much exercise that i would normally do, So i thought that i could start using a vibration plate, has anyone used one of these before, Do they work?

The other thing is that, I normally have a alcoholic drink on my non-fast days, I was thinking of stopping this, would this help at all?

I would be very grateful if someone could give some advice on this, As i need to lose some weight fast!! I have got at least a stone to loose!

anita read

Hey454134
    I downloaded a fitness pal app on my phone n it helps me keep track of what my caloric intake for all my days are. I’ve been trying to eat smarter n drinking lots of water, but I do have my cheat weekends where I’m not as hard on myself. Thats the point of this diet right? I’m hoping to lose 15-20 lbs in the next three months. Wish me luck!

Hi everyone I am in my 9th week of fasting twice a week and although not hungry on the days after fasting I do eat and have alcoholic drinks I feel lighter but not much change in my weight. I thought we were not supposed to calorie count on fasting days? Am I wrong should I still be careful on these days? finding my fasting days difficult
    this week but have lots of will power and stick to Mimi’s plan of 7.30 am and 7.00pm eating on fast days to leave the longest possible time in between for my body to recover. this is difficult but drink lots and allow myself a couple of teas and coffee with a drop of half fat milk in them! Any tips from anyone?

I’ve been doing this almost exactly 1 year now and my weight loss in that time has averaged out at about 0.8 Lb per week (although I only weigh myself once a month because 3-4Lb sounds so much more encouraging). However, that basically means 3 stone in 1 year and (so far) 2 on the way to 3 dress sizes.

To get down to what, my Wii tells me, is my ideal weight I still have a couple of stone to go. I’m not really bothered if I ever get there to be honest, as just losing any significant weight at all is far more than I ever imagined would happen when I started this and the other benefits (no eczema, no heart palpatations, amazing skin, MUCH better hormone regulation etc. etc.) are well worth sticking with this for on their own.

This is not a ‘fast’, ‘faddy’, ‘beach body in 3 weeks’ diet, it is a longterm lifestyle choice (I intend to do this forever) and anyone expecting quick results may well be sorely disappointed in the short-term.

Is anyone else ‘charting’ their progress? For my own curiosity I have been entering my daily weight into a spreadsheet and generating a chart from day 1 to now – about 16 weeks (which was when East, Fast and Live Longer aired in Australia). It has been really encouraging because although my weight each week bounces around by about 1.5 kg, the chart looks like a mountain range where the top of the weekly peak and the bottom of each valley just keep getting lower and lower. I’ve lost 4kg overall, which is a dress size for me. Another 4kg and I’ll be thrilled.
    I’m fasting on two consecutive days, and I’m not resticting what I eat on the other 5 days at all.

I’m so disheartened. I really had faith in the Fast Diet and tried not to be discouraged by my very slow weight loss, although on the plus side I have dropped between one and two dress sizes, depending on the fit of the garment. However, after 6 months I have only lost 4 kilos – that’s when, like today, 2 kilos haven’t crept back again. It also seems as though some of the fat I lost has returned.
    I weigh myself once a week so as to reduce the disappointment level. Could any of the following reasons have anything to do with it?
    1) Age: 73 and female, with a sedentary job as well as doing a post-grad degree which tends to involve a lot of sitting e.g in libraries and at home in front of the computer.
    2) Already eating healthily and exercising regularly (doing a lot of walking) before starting the Fast Diet, i.e. unlike those who turn to dieting after eating all the wrong things, I haven’t had to make any dramatic change in my eating habits. It’s just been a question of watching quantities both on fast and feast days. I either actively dislike or can easily do without all the fatty, sugary stuff. Nor do I drink alcohol.
    3) Genes – the obese child of obese parents, also brought up to eat far too much, not junk but good home-cooked food in what I have since realised were enormous helpings. After leaving home at age 20 I reinvented my diet, which helped a bit, but not that much.
    4) Just not destined to lose weight. While living on the Continent, careful and sometimes rigorous dieting and lots of exercise – walking everywhere (I was giving private English tuition and walked to pupils’ homes all over the city) and swimming 3 times weekly – resulted in some reduction from obese to merely overweight, but at the slimming/exercise club I joined where one did pilates in an individual heated tent, I received a very public telling off – including accusations of cheating and lying about what I ate – for only losing 1.5 kilos (a little over 3 pounds)in 6 weeks.
    I apologise for the whinge, but it would be comforting to know if anyone else out there has had the same problem and succeeded in solving it.

Sorry to hear you are feeling disheartened, hermajtomomi. I’m probably not telling you anything you haven’t already thought of, but as a fellow traveller on the ‘huge portions’ highway I have NEVER been able to sustain weight loss and in fact with various ups and downs I have been adding about 1kg per year for about a decade. So 4kg loss for me feels like a new start! If you do the fast diet for a couple of years, perhaps it will just keep dropping away slowly as it has started to do already. It’s certainly got to be better for us than putting on weight!

It’s lovely to receive support from Down Under, atlast. Thank you. Obviously we share similar problems, which probably originated with the mega-meals served by well-meaning but ill-informed parents. I guess it is a question of making the Fast Diet a way of life, which is fine by me, although it may be difficult to maintain at times, such as on holidays or at Christmas.
    It’s significant, I think, that my brother (also a large gentleman) and his son (who has solved his weight problem with a somewhat weird diet which is healthy – mostly superfoods – but monotonous) each instinctively elected to pair up with slender women who have never had a weight problem, thus lessening the chances of their kids inheriting the fat gene. My 14-year-old great nephew could eat for England but is as fit and slim as a reed, just like his tall, slim marathon-running mum.

Hello

I’m a 28 year old female. I’ve limited my calorie intake for over 10 years (around 1000 a day, or less) so really struggle to shift any weight that I gain. I’ started the 5:2 around 8 weeks ago, at 59 kilos, and have barely lost a thing. In fact, my weight fluctuates up toa figure that is higher than my starting weight. It’s frustrating as I’m following the rules and even swimming up to three times a week too.move cut down on alcohol intake too, as I’d generally have a drink each evening (though nothing excessive).

I guess I’ve put my body through a lot of calorie deprivation over the years so this is nothing new. Should I carry on with the regime, or are some bodies just not suited to this?

Any thoughts welcome, and gratefully received!

As one ages, there is one advantage to being a larger lady. In Spanish they have a saying that after a certain age you have to choose between “cara” or “culo”, i.e. you can choose between a fairly youthful complexion and a big butt, or a pert little bum and a face like a road map. Despite – or maybe even because of – my struggle to lose weight, at 70+ I have skin that wouldn’t disgrace someone 15 or more years younger. I’m no Jane Fonda, but I could look a whole lot worse. I take comfort from this now that the scales have barely moved for 6 months.

I think it is so frustrating to not lose weight quickly but it does take time. We can gain weight so much more quickly. We have to try to remember that we cannot expect instant results or instant gratification. Losing a pound a week is great in and of itself but the other health benefits of reducing the junk in your diet and trying to eat healthier will be huge. on days that I fast, I know I am eating more fruits and vegetables because they are very low in calories for the most part. I also tend to cut out cheese (high in fat and calories) and tend to eat more vegan/plant based diet on fast days. This has to be great for my overall health. I have lost very little weight in three weeks (about 3 pounds) but prior to this diet, I had spent a year doing rigorous 6 days weekly exercise and the scale not moving an inch(except upward). I am happy to report that finally a few pounds are dropping, slowly but surely.

Hello, have you tried 4:3 IF.

Perhaps try it for a month or so. I found it really quick !

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kvCFPh_IYWs/Ue3fAvp3wnI/AAAAAAAAJZc/Cs5ovIGsLn0/s640/IF%25203%2520Months.jpg

I’m with you there. I fast Mondays and Thursdays and stick to 500 calories or under. I’ve been doing this a while now and at best lose 1lb per week. Some weeks I put that back on over the weekend and then lose it again the following Monday it goes back on again over the Tuesday and Wednesday then I lose it again on the Thursday. Back to square one again!

I’m really not over eating at weekends, in fact I’m eating less than I ever have before and have given up alcohol all together.

I’m at a loss really what is going wrong. I have 11lbs to go to reach my goal. Can anyone help me here??

I have just returned from a five-day family visit. Unbeknown to each other, both I and my husband and my cousin and his partner are on the Fast Diet. As each couple was following a different routine, we decided to be naughty and forget the whole thing and eat heartily but healthily, with the odd treat. We even went to a superb Russian restaurant, from which all four of us waddled away.
    To my delight I haven’t put on a single pound, nor has my other half. In the past I would have returned at least half a stone heavier and probably feeling rather unwell. Although I have only lost weight at a snail’s pace since February, perhaps the Fast Diet is doing things to my metabolism. Maybe there is a God of Weight-loss after all.

Knees – what is the ‘goal’ you’re aiming for? Is this a goal you set for yourself or your supposed ‘ideal’ weight according to some graph on your doctor’s wall? If it’s the latter then I wouldn’t be too worried about it if I were you. If I ever get within 11lb of my ‘ideal weight’ I won’t care, if I plateau and can maintain that level on 5:2 I’ll be happy with that.

If you do need to kick start the loss again then some people have had success with trying different kinds of exercise to shock the body into using it’s resources differently. Or you could try splitting your meals up differently on fast days and non-fast days to trick your body into using the calories more efficiently. You could also try exersising in your fasting phase (apparently that can shift more fat).

I think the recurring theme is slow and steady is the IF way. I usually weigh myself the morning following a fast day and after 2 weeks I have lost just 1lb. So I am going to weigh myself just once a month and focus on the health benefits and try to remember that this is lifestyle not a faddy get-thin-quick diet……

Thanks everyone for all of the above. I have just joined and been doing 5:2 for just over a week and done 3 fasts so far. I was very upset to only lose half a pound so far but having read these comments it seems it’s fairly normal for someone of my age 56 and menopausal. I’m going to carry on as I feel it’s a healthy way of eating. I don’t have a great deal of weight to lose but trying to shift the fat that has settled itself on my stomach since this menopause malarky.

I have been doing 5:2 since late February and had lost just under a stone (14lbs) by end of May. I was and am delighted. I now seem to have plateaued. As some others report, I lose a pound or even 2 on a fast day, only to put them back on straightaway. But… I have lost 3″ from my waist and all my back fat (you know, Ladies, those lumps of flesh which bulge over bra and pants). My body is so much trimmer that I am going to cast caution to the winds and return to wearing bikinis on holiday having been a swimsuit gal for many years. Even though the weight I have lost is about 3lbs less than when I went to Slimming World some years ago, I am much more confident of sustaining this diet long term. I feel better and picture my internal organs being freer of fat than they were. The advertised health benefits are so important to me. Maybe to lose more weight I should obey the TDEE which applies to my new weight rather than stick to Mrs Average’s of 500 for Fast days and no calorie counting on others but I am happy to mosey along as I am. I am going to be 60 soon, am 9stone 10 with a BMI of 22.5. Thanks to The FastDiet I feel in control of my weight and health. It is definitely worth sticking with as I believe it works from inside out.

Well done you!
    I started in January and have plateaued several times.I stopped running when it was hot and went swimming instead, which resulted in 2 lb loss for those 2 weeks. I am 52 and 5 ft 2 and have a secret ambition to wear a bikini again-haven’t for 30 years….but 23 lb less and 15 inches less of me, I am much trimmer too.

Why not stick to the 500 cals for the fast days and eat just under the TDEE for your new weight?Do you really need to lose anymore with a BMI of 22.5? Is your waist less than half your height?

I love that the back fat and squidge at the sides has gone too.

I would like to comment on a number of points and questions on this topic. I have been on the 5:2 diet for 22 weeks and have lost 20.5 pounds. I am a 63 year old male living in the U.S. I came to this forum because it seems that the rate of weight loss has distinctly diminished in the last two weeks.

I saw some research recently that concluded any weight loss of more than 20 lbs in one year was accompanied by a slow down in metabolism. I think this may explain my reduced rate of weight reduction.

Second, I have been exercising diligently, on average 5 one-hour sessions per week. I combine various aerobic, resistance, and stretching routines. The most important advice with respect to exercise is that some sessions should be “all out”. 20 to 30 minutes of sustained high-heart rate exertion has the benefit of sustained metabolic increase for up to 24 hours after the session ends.

Third, I came to the 5:2 diet because of its ability to reduce IGF-1 levels which appears to be highly beneficial for the reduction of cancer risk and also diabetes. It is the primary reason that I am on the diet (but I also need to lose about 50 pounds).

Fourth, I, like many others have noted, that there is a day-to-day fluctuation in weight. I measure my weight every time I go to the gym, but the weigh in that counts for me is before dinner on the second fast day. I typically gain 2+ pounds at some point after that which I think is mainly driven by the fluctuation of the volume in my intestines and level of fluid retention.

All I know is that I feel great on this diet. The lack of restrictions on the non-fast days is a fantastic benefit for me. If I want to eat something, I do. I finally got my wife to stop nagging me about my dietary habits. She sees this is working.

My advice to all is to stick with this diet. Know that there will be progress fluctuations and think about vigorous excercise at least three times per week.

That was my problem 6 months ago, I was very fat after I

gave birth. I tried to not eat sometimes but after few

hours I felt so weak and sick. I was so irritated, I

always blamed the slowing down of hormone after birth. But

out of curiousity and eager to lose some weights for the

upcoming baptism of our baby, I checked online what will

be the easiest way of losing weight and gotcha! I found

this incredible way of losing weight. weight loss tip diet

#69 – Eat several times a day. And this is really

effectiive since I am breastfeeding my baby I am not

allowed to skip meals, so since then I follow this tip and

here I have it. I continously losing weight without

affecting my health. Thanks to this site

http://www.150weightlosstips.com now I get back my normal

body weight before having my baby. I lost 12 kg in 6

months.

I could not have been on the fast diet while I was breastfeeding my son. I did a full year of breastfeeding, and I almost ate more when I was breastfeeding than I did while I was pregnant. while you initially lose those pounds once the pregnancy is done and you discontinue breastfeeding, you are still used to the high amount of calorie intake, which I believe is where my weight problem began. 5:2 has been a lifesaver for me.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply.