Putting on weight

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

• OK, I’ve been doing this for more than 2 months now, but I’m actually putting on weight.

The book says don’t count calories on non fast days, so I don’t. But it also says that I won’t want to gorge on non fast days, but I do want to. Very much. It says I won’t fancy cheesecake on non fast days; I didn’t used to, but now I do.

I find I am ravenous the morning after a fast day, and I’m obviously now just eating more than the deficit.

The book has plenty of advice on fast days, but I can stick to those. What I am waiting for is this appetite regulation effect to kick in on non fast days. Quite the opposite has happened for me: I am far more hungry than I ever was.

Also, while I can and do stick to the fasts, I don’t find that I have sharpened mental faculties on fast days, as suggested I might. I find that from early afternoon on, I am grumpy, woosy, and find mental tasks very difficult. My concentration is shot, and I make silly mistakes.

I am fairly active. I have a dog, and take her for a brisk walk for 40-45 minute every morning. I might also do an additional 40-45 minute walk up to 3 times a week. Sometimes at weekends I go longer walks. I also do the Wii Fit. (It doesn’t help that the Wii keeps telling me that I’ve missed goals).

All of the above activity predates starting 5:2 by several years.

I have tried splitting up the 600 calories in different ways, but find that what works best for me is a 200 calorie midday meal and a 400 calorie evening meal.

Hi HungrySteve, I felt like that when I started. I felt like that when trying to quit nicotine as well. After a week or so the sensation disappeared. Two month is a long wait.

If you are overweight and otherwise healthy you can be reassured that you are carrying plenty of fuel for the brain, however, like me – having eaten too much/ too often for years – it takes time to get the system ready to running on fat-depots again.

Assuming that your doctor finds you healthy! then one idea could be to eat MORE on the evenings on your fasting days, and slowly try to extend the period you are able to go without food. Once you can do 18 to 24 hours without symptoms, you can start reducing the intake/ or do more fasting days. Another idea could be that the on-off fasting is difficult to manage. Some advocate doing fasting for 19 hours every day (without counting calories) because they find this easier.

Thanks DrLL.

My Doctor does indeed think I’m healthy – I recently had bloods & blood pressure taken. All of which is very good for a man of my age (I’m 48). I’m not diabetic, and he doesn’t need to see my blood pressure again for a couple of years, he says.

I’m interested in what you say about the on-off fasting being difficult to manage, but I don’t really understand how fasting for 19 hours every day without counting calories would help me lose weight (though I get the other health benefits).

Unless my overall weekly calorie intake in down (with either 5:2 or another intermittent plan), surely I won’t lose weight? Since I’m putting on weight, wouldn’t the answer be to calorie count on non fast days?

HungrySteve,

I have to calorie count every day or else I gain weight. For me, it’s more than just “listening to my body’s cues”, as I am one who can eat and eat for no reason. Or because I’m stressed, bored, tired, even when I’m totally stuffed. There’s a reason why I have been overweight, and after having had not such a great relationship with food for 25 plus years, I can’t merely rely on my body’s cues.

This is my 11th week on 5:2, and I am definitely more in tune with my body, hunger cues and eating habits, but I could still sit down and eat and eat if I wanted to, which some days I do. It’s interesting over the past couple of months, how many feelings I have experienced doing this plan, from being nervous to elated, doubtful to thrilled, discouraged to
    steadfast.

A lot of people seem to hate counting calories and it doesn’t work for them. I am anal in nature, and I don’t mind counting, because I get a realistic accounting of what I eat, and then I don’t stress and worry about maybe having overdone it in a day and wanting to give up.

We need to lower our average calorie intake for sure.

I haven’t tried the seven days a week fast (google fast-5 to find a free e-book on the subject). The theory is that you – after some weeks – will start to eat more sensible and hence less. Fasting will help you sense how much you actually need. Therefore you will loose weight. I guess also there is a limit to how much you can eat on 5 hours. I fast two days a week (24h) and find that I do need to convince my self that today is my fasting day – its like exercise for me I enjoy it but being lazy by nature I’ve rather not exercise.

If counting calories on your non-fast days is working for you, then try that. Counting calories would not work for me – I would feel a failure when not keeping without limits.

Consider the math. Assume you need 2400 KCal per day. You now (on 5:2) do 600 Kcal on two days/ week and you ‘miss’ 3600 Kcal a week. If you do 1200 KCal on three days a week or 1500 Kcal four days a week, then after a week you will have reduced intake by 3600 Kcal and will loose as much fat as on the 5:2 diet. Would any of these plans work better in terms of not overeating on non-fasting days then you would 1) reach your weight goal; 2) avoid feeling bad about eating on non-fast days.

As always I advocate doing a long fast (up to 24 hours) but this is only because it worked so well for me and because it is an easy schedule.

The right plan for you is what brings you closer to your goal. The 5:2 with 600 KCal in two meals a day is clearly not bringing you closer to your goal. This does not mean that you are a failure or that fasting is not for you.

Best of luck

PS. Even if the fast-5 plan is not to your liking you might want to read the free e-book. There are some very good tips on how to improve fasting ability without the nasty sensations you have felt.

Thanks TidyChick. I’m glad to hear that; it makes a lot more sense to me than waiting for this mystical hunger realignment to take hold.

I’ve always calorie counted in the past to lose weight; I don’t have a problem with it. Like you, I can’t merely rely on my body’s cues.

OK, I’ll calorie count on the non fast days.

Yes, DrLL, I do ‘miss’ 3600 Kcal over the 2 fast days. But I can easily more than make that up over a week. That’s why I’m overweight!

This http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ gives you a rough idea of how many calories you shouldn’t exceed on a non fast day.

Don’t know if it’s of any use to you but thought I’d mention it.

hi HungrySteve,
    id like to add i do know what you mean by over eating on non fast days, when i first started this plan i tested it to the limit eating every thing in sight, as well as having the feeling of a bottomless pit i couldnt fill,
    it did pass, it didnt happen over night or within 2 months, but unlike yourself i was lossing weight still so thats what kept me going, but my eating habbits, needs and cravings did change in a big way, as others have said its taken years of over eating and bad habbits to gain the weight i was at, so it took some time for my body and mind to stop rebeling against the good work fasting has done, i now fast the 4:3 method that works for me and after a almost 4 month platue im lossing weight again, maybe the 4:3 might work for you without having to count on your feed days? what ever you decide i wish you well and do keep us posted on your progress xx

Thanks Puny and fastforlife. I’ll keep you posted!

HungrySteve,

Am wondering if counting calories has been helping you?

Hi folks,

Counting calories *is* helping. But even more of a breakthrough: yesterday was a fast day, and for the first time ever on the morning after a fast I’m not ravenous! I’d need to check how many weeks that is since I started, but I’m delighted. Hopefully that will last all day.

Thanks for the support. I’ll keep you updated.

Really good news NotSoHungrySteve 😉

The hunger only abated on that one morning. In fact, I soon realized I had to stop, as I’d put on more than two stone since starting the diet. I have never, ever gained so much weight so fast. On discovering that I had crept up to an obese BMI *since starting the diet*, that was a wake-up call to stop. I was only overweight before starting!

So now I’m back on a standard low fat, calorie counting diet. I’m edging slowly back towards where I was when I started 5:2, but it will take months just to get there. 5:2 might work for most, but it definitely did not work for me. In fact, it was worse than just eating normally. Much worse.

If it works for you, that’s great. But clearly there’s more to the story.

Hi HungrySteve,

What do you think was the cause of your weight gain? Were you overeating to make up for the fast days?

Cheers
    TC

Any ideas? I have been sticking to 5:2 over 5 weeks now and not gong nuts on no fast days. I lost weight to begin with but am now stuck even putting on a POUND! I have not too much to loose, about 14lbs more would be good. Any Ideas or am i being impatient

Yes, Tobiasc, I was overeating on non fast days. The problem was that the fasting seemed to be unleashing a fast breeder nuclear reactor of hunger in me. I could stick to the fast days (grumpily), but on non fast days I was absolutely ravenous. In a way that just doesn’t happen for me with normal calorie counting.

I (briefly) tried calorie counting on non fast days to stick to 2400 KCal per day. I couldn’t do it. However, without fast days in the equation, I can easily stick to a weight-loss limit of 1300 KCal per day. Easily. And without waking up ravenous the next day.

What attracted me to 5:2 (aside from the health benefits relating to IGF-1 etc), was the idea that you can eat normally on non fast days. And, its corollary, the claim that people don’t experience hyperphagia (excessive appetite) on non fast days. It sounded great. I remember Michael saying on the TV programme, something along the lines of “You’d think you’d overcompensate the next day, but you just don’t”.

Well, that wasn’t the case for me: I experienced massive hyperphagia. And I just did overcompensate the next day. It didn’t surprise me. I awaited this counter-intuitive lack of excessive appetite to kick in, but it didn’t happen. And after months of waiting, more than two stone heavier, and finding myself in a BMI classification of obese that I wasn’t in before I started, I decided it was better for me if I stopped the experiment.

It’s great that lots of people find that 5:2 benefits them. But I don’t think I’m the only one who finds that the promised lack of excessive appetite never kicks in for them. Perhaps it’s a small minority of people, but I think there’s more to discover about how different people react to intermittent fasting.

It definitely isn’t for me.

I think my wife is seeing similar results as yourself. She finds the fast days absolute torture and then pigs out on non fast days. Lately shes taken to skipping fast days here and there which doesn’t help.

For myself it has stopped my weight gain dead. I realised that eating “normally” for me actually meant putting on weight. I think due to having spinal surgery back in Feb and having limited mobility since then.

I am now keeping a food diary and trying to be more aware of portion sizes and crap eating habits.

Best of luck to you man. Being overweight sucks.
    T

@gammapato
    “am i being impatient”

Yes.

My trend setter estimates another 8 months for me to reach my target.

http://trendweight.com/u/2530328a1bd347/chart/3m.png

HungrySteve, I’m sorry 5:2 wasn’t for you. It would be surprising, I suppose, if everyone reacted similarly to IF. I hope you have now hit upon a plan that suits you, and is sustainable.

Your experience makes me reflect on my own situation. I hope that my own take on IF has lowered my IGF-1, etc, but I can only guess at that. I’m not losing any weight currently, though I think (from belt etc) that I have lost some abdominal/intra-abdominal fat. That might be attributable to restricting my food intake to a six of seven hour period in the 24, most days, but eating what I want (which has always been lots). I don’t find abstaining from food for 18 hours difficult. Some days I have only one (big) meal, in the evening. The changes have NOT curbed my big, big appetite. It’s not post-fast bingeing, just my baseline level of greed. As I’ve said elsewhere, I broke even a 96 hour fast with a modest roast chicken dinner, but with seconds and then thirds, followed by a couple of bowls of home made soup about an hour and a half later. So much for a re-educated ‘stomach’.

I’m currently trying to cycle regularly, to raise my spirits in my SAD season, and help weight control. Calorie counting is not for me. I’m an all-or-nothing person. My family will be away for a few days soon, so I hope to do a decent spell of fasting, maybe 48 hours (water only), maybe more. I’ve felt like a 5:2 fraud for a while, because my weight is static. Hearing how it simply didn’t work for you makes me feel less bad. It obviously doesn’t suit Tobiasc’s wife, either. I don’t plan to abandon the first diet I’ve ever put myself on, at age 62, now 63. I want to sustain the likely metabolic benefits of IF, even if my weight remains static. Ideally I need to do more, cutting my overall intake in a sustainable way.

Help!

I’ve been doing the 5/2 since Jan this year and while I enjoy the fast days and was loosing weight for the first 5 months I am now starting to put weight on and I have no idea why! There has been no change in my food regime. I exercise 5 times a week and while I have stopped running as much as I was (due to cold weather and rain) I’m still doing all HIIT work outs. I also haven’t changed the way I eat on non-fast days – which is very healthy low carb and high protein.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any idea why this has happened? Feeling disillusioned with putting in hard work and seeing the scales go up!

Would be great if anyone has any suggestions why this has happened!

Thanks!

Hi Snadguis:

The key is “There has been no change in my food regime.”

You have lost weight, your TDEE has gone down, but you are eating the same amount of food as you were when you were heavier.

Figure out your current TDEE, count calories for two or three non diet days, and you will probably find your answer.

Good Luck!

Thanks simcoelov.

I’ve checked my TDEE and I’m eating under these amount of calories on my non-fasting days. I have myfitnesspal and I track calories on non-fasting days too. Could that be the issue?

Hi Snadguis:

Calorie trackers are commonly off by 10% or more. Unless you weigh and measure everything you put in your mouth (serving sizes, tastes while cooking, proper fat content in meat, etc.) your calorie count might be off. Also, TDEE is an estimate, so whatever you are using may also be wrong. You might recalculate using a lower activity level – unless you are training for the Olympics, you are probably moderate activity at best, probably less.

You cannot eat less than your TDEE on a weekly basis and gain weight consistently – your weight can go up/down a couple of pounds a day, but over time, if you eat less than your TDEE you have to lose weight. If you are gaining, you are eating too much. That is how everyone gains weight – by eating too much.

It is that simple – sorry.

Thanks for your responses.

I think that’s why I’m so confused about! I’ve recalculated my TDEE with no exercise and it’s given me 1750 – I probably eat 1200 a day on average on non-fasting days. I wouldn’t even come close to the TDEE of approx 2000 (which is where I have included workouts) My personal trainer thinks that I may have slowed down my metabolism and I’m not eating enough on the non-fasting days. Just seems odd that I haven’t changed eating habits but weight loss has stopped! I’ve probably put on 1.5kgs in the last 3 weeks – although it doesn’t seem like much in the scheme of things – it’s quiet disheartening!

Hi Snadguis:

Well, you should tell your personal trainer there is no such thing as starvation mode – your metabolism does not slow down if you eat too little food. Yours is a good example of how the myth (check FAQ, above, for Dr. M’s comments on the starvation mode) is perpetuated. You are working with a trainer. Your results are not satisfactory. Why? Can’t be the workouts which you are probably paying for. Must be something else. Wa La – a starvation mode that mysteriously prevents people from losing weight if they don’t eat enough calories.

Think about it – what would happen if you stopped eating altogether? Well, it is a scientific fact that you would lose weight. A ‘starvation mode’ would not kick in and stop your weight loss.

I still doubt that your numbers are correct. You say you ‘probably’ eat 1200 cal. a day on average. Research has shown that people that estimate their calories, on average, are almost 50% lower than what they are actually eating. Even nutritionists, that should know, underestimate their intake by, on average, 16%.

I suggest, again, that you count calories closely for two or three non diet days and see where you are.

Good Luck!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply.