Problem with overeating on non fast days

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Problem with overeating on non fast days

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Mywordz 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Not sure if I can keep this up.

Fast days I am fine. It’s the non fast days that I have a problem with.

I started this in early February, and I think for just about every non fast day I can’t stop eating and at times binging (today has been particularly bad after a fast day yesterday).

I plan to eat my TDEE (which is around 2000) so it’s not like I’m trying to undereat on these days, and even if I plan to eat a little more than that, I still end up way over-eating. I track but just can’t can’t seem to get the motivation to stop when I should (or not touch things that I shouldn’t).

Accordingly I haven’t lost any weight (although haven’t actually put any on either).

I feel as if I’m on an unhealthy restrict / binge cycle that I can’t get off.

I know others have reported similar issues, and wondering if it’s something that calms down over time – or if it’s a case of the 5:2 not being for me.

Just keep going. You are coping with a change in lifestyle. Be kind to yourself and just do what you can. Well done for starting. It does get easier. There are support groups out there. Just google 5:2

What kind of food do you eat on non-fast days? It’s easier to overeat with cookies than with salad… But if you are already eating healthy stuff, maybe try to plan in advance your meals so that you still have some calories leftover in case you need to snack? And restrict snacking to healthy options that won’t leave you craving for more?

It’s hard to give advice without knowing more about your diet. But hang in there!

I find it useful to focus on casseroles as a main course with salads as a starter (when I have a starter) and full fat plain yoghurt as my dessert. I make enormous batches of 3 dishes: ratatouille, curry and chili. I am vegetarian but it is actually easier for meat eaters. I freeze the majority and eat them in turn with other things for occasional variety.
    For the curry just fry an onion with as much garlic as you like and as much curry powder as you like (I like a lot of curry powder and garlic). After that I add courgettes, aubergine and red and green peppers. For the ratatouille I use 6 fresh tomatoes and for curry and chili. I use the biggest tin of tomatoes. Add one stock cube and some tomato paste or passata. That’s it. But add meat if you like. You can eat as much as you like of this on non-fast days. Have half a microwaved big potato too. You can vary the recipe as you like. It’s quick and easy and I always have a meal in store for every day of the week. This stops me falling off the wagon.

I’m the same. I started in February and have only managed to lose 3kgs, that I haven’t managed to do for at least 2 years. I was hoping to loose more. I am pleased with this and I always loose weight very slowly. I feel that my non fasting days are letting me down. I thought I could eat what ever I liked on the non fasting days and reading through the website I can see that I actually need to be more careful about what I eat on the non fasting days. I was getting headaches on the fasting days but found that when I increased my water intake that these have now been eliminated. I feel better the following days after my fasting days. I am really wanting to increase my exercise and have recently found I have high blood pressure and I am hoping that reducing my weight will also reduce my blood pressure.

I am also a binger on non-fast days but what works for me is making sure my fast days are sustainable* and, more importantly, I do a 4:3 most weeks. This means I can binge but I still lose, albeit slowly.

I deliberately binge on feast days because a life time of dieting tells me that I am incapable of depriving myself for days on end. I know that there is talk that one’s metabolism does NOT fall if one eats less, but that has not been my experience. Dieting has always put me into a downward calorific spiral in order to keep losing weight, and I simply don’t have the willpower to sustain long term deprivation. I have been on 5:2 (or rather 4:3) for 4 months (the longest I’ve ever managed to sustain a diet), and it’s all down to the fact that for 4 days a week, I can eat my cakes and chocolates, and curries and spag bolognaise etc. The way of eating is very sustainable for a piggy like me and I would feel quite comfortable spending the rest of my life doing it.

*(I eat no breakfast; have two boiled eggs for lunch to take the edge off my hunger; and a big plate of curry vegetable soup at night, which wipes out any hunger and ensures I don’t go to bed feeling headachey and insomniac -ified.)

Hi Shaney,
    I think your salvation lies in exercise even more than in dieting. I am reading my second book by Michael Mosley, the Fast Exercise one. It seems that it’s OK to be fat, as long as you are fit. It’s not OK to be slim and unfit – you will suffer from ill health and die younger. Quite a few years back I was into running and did 2 marathons. From that I learned that exercise brings your blood pressure down. You may not lose weight from exercise (though I did lose quite a lot of weight with running) but exercise AND diet will bring your weight and your BP down.

I am a craver/feaster/emotional eater. And I tend to binge. BUT – I found it helpful to prepare my 3 meals (for non-fasting days) a day in advance and to store them in a food containers in the fridge – and I label them. That way I have my own “boxes of food ready” and I am not allowed to add. I also have a big bowl on my kitchen counter into which I place during the day tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, avocado, banana, tangerines, etc, and I pick from there the veggies to complete my main dishes or fruit as my next snack. I also place nuts on a small dish or a piece of a dry fruit. You can cut up celery stalks in advance, place them in a tall glass and snack on them dipped in a hummus or tehini. I can safely “binge” on these.

Hi Kaizen,
    That seems to me a really useful idea. I have had so far a different plan. I always have the same breakfast and lunch on no-diet days and I prepare my evening meals a week or two in advance and freeze them. My evening meals are either curry, chilli or ratatouille, so are good for freezing. I think it would be very useful for me to prepare some snacks/side dishes. Are you aware that in your list of “tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, avocado, banana, tangerines” there is actually only one vegetable? Avocados and tomatoes are definitely fruit. The problem is that the sugar content of fruit is quite high. I normally restrict myself to 2 pieces of fruit per day for this reason. I eat a shedload of veggies however.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.