Preperations for starting the 5:2 tomorrow!

This topic contains 268 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  Coda 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 269 total)

• Hi everyone,

I will be starting the 5:2 diet tomorrow! I previously lost 28 pounds with weight watchers two years ago but have been up and down like a yoyo since and am more of less back to where I started 🙁 finding it hard to diet so thought I would try something new and see if it makes a difference! with being such a yoyo dieter my metabolism is shocking and the weight just doesn’t seem to shift so I am hoping that this works as I have a holiday to go to in 10 weeks time!

I have chosen to do my fast days Monday and Thursday this week. I run 3 times a week and already currently calorie count at 1500. Any tips or motivational stories to motivate and inspire me would be great!

I am 20 years old, 5ft 5″ and weight 10st 12. Hoping to get in the 9s for the holiday!

😀 xxx

Hi starting tomorrow as well. Fasting mon and wed. Maybe we can check each other’s progress? Any help would be greatly appreciated from everyone. Good luck I’m feelin very positive!

Yes sounds good 🙂 🙂

It doesn’t work for me, but my husband has been on the diet or nearly a year and has lost 2/3 stones. He was heavy but not fat, now he is far fitter and healthier, he never waivers, sticks to his 600 cals excatly and if he has to miss a fast day he just moves it without problem. I’m in awe but I know I couldn’t copy it.

Hi I started on Friday with my first fast day. I thought I would shrivel up and die after a day of hardly any food but I didn’t! and i felt quite amazed i managed it!

I decided to eat nothing all day and save all my calories to have after my evening Zumba class. I went to bed with a bad headache but I am pretty rubbish at drinking water so need to do better.

Have eaten a lot this weekend, plan is not to really count calories on weekend but then to eat more healthy and no more than around 1500 cals on days in the week when not fasting. Going to fast Mon and Weds this week. I will see if the headache issue is better this week and how I get on with the plan for just one meal in the evening. Be good to know how you get on!

Sounds like your getting on well then minus the headaches! I’m going to spread my calories throughout the day. I think it’s important to eat something at breakfast to get metabolism going. I’m just going to have a boiled egg at breakfast tuna salad at dinner and chicken salad at tea time. See how that goes! Will let you know tomorrow how I get on! I’m also going to stick to 1500 in the ‘feast days’ but have a treat night Saturday where I eat something nice and maybe a few wines!

For me, I think once I start eating it makes me want more! But looking at the posts on here, people eat their 500 cals either in one meal or have smaller meals. That’s the good thing about it I guess. I might try for 3 fasts next week to make up for my indulgent weekend 🙂 Got to sort these headaches out though as they are not much fun.

It was much easier day 1 than I thought. But I made sure it was a busy day at work.

Good luck tommorow!

Yeah 🙂 ill have to see how I get on! Apparently eating one meal on the fast days bring the best health benefits so maybe I’ll give it a go next week. Drink plenty of water 🙂 will let you know how I get on! Good luck for your fast day xx

Hi and welcome:

Here are some tips for those just starting 5:2: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

I’m starting 2mrrow:-) feeling a little worried if I can last out……..

Hi! I too am starting tomorrow,I plan Monday and Wednesday as my fast days.I hope it will be a tool to control my frequent sugar binges and get back on track with my health journey.I had lost 18 lbs over the last 2 years but a spate of ill health and then lack of discipline left me almost back where I started.
    Like you OP, we have similar stats, but I have a couple of more years on you, 29 to be PRECISE! and at 5 foot 6 and 148 lbs,there is just that little bit too much of me around:-)
    My goal is my 50th Birthday in July.My aim 9 stone 5. or 133 lbs. That’s where I feel best.So lets get this party started or not as the case may be.Have done Intermittent fasting before so looking forward to the mental acuity and high I get from the fast.

I have to remind myself that hunger comes in waves and passes over you if you distract yourself. It does not last!
    I will save my calories till before bed as I sleep better and if I don’t “waken the beast” with breakfast I can get through the day.

Best of luck and lets support each other as much as we can.

Good luck today! Typically my fast begins really early as my little one gets me out of bed. 12 hours to go till tea time!

Good luck today guys! I’m up for uni and feeling positive! Make sure you all drink plenty of fluids today! Xx

Fast underway…so far so good.Coffee black and water pure! Have to keep busy today 🙂
    Good luck everyone
    M

Morning, how’s everyone doing this morning?
    I’ve just had a glass a water and a coffee this morning!! Not feeling too bad at the moment:-)
    But this afternoon will be my test!
    Been up very early this morning……

Morning!

I had a banana for breakfast and have drank a 75cl bottle of water so far today. started to get hungry so went and got a cup of tea and has taken the edge of a bit. Will be dinner time for me in an hour. Im been up early too as im at uni all day today!

Glad your getting on alright

Nat xx

Coffee is over for me today.Very sensitive to its effects after lunch,so will have a low cal.(34)broth in the afternoon.
    Looking forward to my dinner allowance already:-) Note to self ..Choose wisely..
    How’s everyone doing?

Just decided recently to start the 5:2 diet. I weigh 82kilos and want to lose about 7 kilos Got to lunch time and i was very hungry. I had very small bowl of porridge at lunch and i have been drinking water. Looking forward to my dinner.

I have stuck to my plan but I felt very hungry just before my lunch and felt really horrible, on my third bottle of water and had a can of diet pepsi and its subsided my hunger a bit. sooooo cant wait for dinner! going for a run after uni too so hope I have enough energy. 🙂
    Nat xx

It’s difficult but think of the benefits, plus you can look forward to eating well tomorrow! Also means you’d feel even worse if you succumbed now.Hunger is temporary. I like to imagine Im fasting for a medical test when my willpower is weak, means I don’t have an option but to continue.
    Stay strong!

Thanks for the support 🙂 anyone else got a headache!? I’ve drank plenty of fluids too! 2 paracetamols for me xx

My headache is not as bad as it was on friday, this is fast day 2 for me. I did treat myself to several fruit teas today (joy ;-)) Baked some chocolate brownies for the kids when I got home tonight – what a killer and a test of my willpower!

Ate my 500 cals in one meal at tea time – like the comment about not ‘waking the beast’ by eating in the day – seems to work for me too. Think an early night is in order or those brownies will be staring at me.

Ps hope everyone got on ok today 🙂

Well no headache for me today thank goodness, but the last few hours were soooooooo difficult. Couldn’t wait for evening, so had half an avocado and 3 king prawns in the late afternoon and have just finished some modified chicken fajitas without the tortilla. Sorry for the details if you are still fasting:-) All in, added up to 505 .Finished now, until whenever I feel hungry tomorrow.

I hope everyone managed to get through today without too much trauma. Perversely it helped me to keep going knowing that others were “suffering” too!!

I hope that I can keep to my TDEE tomorrow or even slightly under until I get into the rhythm.
    It strikes me that as my TDEE is in the 1500’ds it may just explain why I’ve had such a relapse over the last 6 months. I’ve been blaming my metabolism “pipe dream” however its just been plain old fashioned over-eating.
    Looks like I {and I mean, just me, here } don’t need all this food.
    Hopefully I can remember this thought when the next food challenge arises.
    Looking forward to Wednesday (Well that’s a lie ) but going to fast on Wednesday anyway.
    See you all there.

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE BROWNIES NOW….:-)
    M

I’d just forgot about those brownies 😉

Mmmm 1500 cals sound positively luxurious now!

Glad everyone got on okay 🙂 I struggled with a bad headache this afternoon. Had my 500 calories and stuck to what I planned so I’m really pleased. Looking forward to tomorrow to have a nice breakfast! But I’m up at 4:30am tomorrow for work! I’ve coped better knowing you guys are doing it too so thanks for the updates 🙂 I may have to do my fast day on Wednesday also so I have the support. Hoping my next fast is a tad easier which I’m sure it will be.

Nat xx

njhutchinson, there are two common reasons for those headaches.
    1) A day without coffee or tea. Caffeine withdrawal can cause awful headaches, so if you usually drink tea or coffee you might want to have some on your fast days as well.

2) Lack of salt. Many people eat a very high salt diet and then suddenly none on a fast day. Again, if you like plenty of salt on your food or eat a lot of processed stuff from take aways to sausages, you might want to reduce this gently and have some salt on your fast days until you have weaned yourself.

I have never been bothered by such headaches but others report that they subside.

Got up for work this morning but wasn’t hungry! Still had my breakfast though and it was lovely! Well done for yesterday everyone! Enjoy eating healthy and well today 🙂
    Nat xx

Have good day everyone, see you weds for some more water and headaches 😉

Yes here’s to Wednesday:-0 Have a great day today. Lets keep our own personal goals in mind and attempt to stay at TDEE.
    It will make Wednesday easier if I recall from previous efforts at I.F
    M

Well Its Wednesday and so far only Coffee and water. Good fasting to anyone else joining in today.

Good luck everyone! I’m also fasting today! Fruit salad for breakfast and plenty of fluids. Yesterday went well too had 1500 calories and noticed I wasn’t as hungry.
    Nat xx

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum… Started the diet this week and today is my 2nd fasting day. Will have some soup for lunch and a stir fry later. Am starting to get a bit hungy now though, but I’ll survive 🙂

Its officially lunch time here. I’ve just had a cup of low cal soup to stave off any pangs. Lets hope it works.

Today is my second fasting day also, “Miffy”, how did you get on with the first fast?

I went for a run yesterday Nat and was doing well on 1500 till then but afterwards kind of lost the plot somewhat and had salty crackers and nutella. Not my finest hour, but I reckon I can only improve…
    Stay Strong
    M

I’m finding it much easier today than on my first fasting day, probably because I am at work and have a lot of distractions… I fancy some nutella now though…

I was finding my fast day a lot easier today too until my dad invited me round for tea! Good think about fast diet you can change which days you have your fast. Looks like I’ll be having my fast day tomorrow instead! On a plus side at least i will have had a low calorie day as only had 200 calories so far today and having a healthy tea! Hope everyone’s day is going well and your not too hungry. Going for a run now
    Nat xx

Nice to have a surprise invite like that.You are so right, that is the beauty of the fast diet.Its a movable feast or maybe that should read Fast.

Enjoy the run, Nat

I’m not going to mention food here anymore Miffy !!

Are you out there Maisiebet…Marie13… Blue eyes ?
    M

Hi everyone 🙂 well I was rubbish yesterday ate over my TDEE and didn’t really enjoy the Easter bunny I munched. I think I am weird as I actually find non fast days HARDER! I am definitely an all or nothing person and would rather jump out of a plane than step on a ladder!

Had a subway salad for lunch (no cheese or sauce) and off to Metafit in a bit. Stood at the cooker now making macaroni cheese for the kids…. Mmmmmmmm……carbs. Will resist and have some soup later after my class.

Going to try a third fast on Friday as I am going to the theatre so easy to fast that day plus won’t fast bank holiday Monday as it’s too hard with all the family around.

Hope all is well with everyone. No headaches today but a million trips to the toilet after all the water and fruit tea!!!!!!

I have a questions…If I choose to fast from lunch to lunch. (24 hours),do I still consider it a fast day? Does that mean that I need to eat less than 500 calories that day, or can I go ahead and eat whatever I want?

Not sure if this is the right answer, and I think people adapt the plan to suit, but the idea is that between getting up and going to bed you only have 500/600 cals. So for 2 full days of the week u have very restricted cals. If u do this it works out as a 36 hour fast. If you say ate until 2pm, you might go over the 500 cal limit for the day and again when u started at 2pm the next day go over it again. But if u read around on the forums people seem to adapt the plan to suit their goals. Hope that makes sense?!

Thanks Maisiebet. I ate yesterday at 6:00 and will eat again at 6:00, but I’m keeping to the 500 cal meal.

Hope your fast day went well yesterday guys!
    My fast is underway today! Not at uni today so going to try and hold out till lunch time for something to eat, until then plenty of water and a cup of tea!
    Nat xx

Have a good fast Nat.
    It went ok yesterday for me.Its today I worry about ,not to overcompensate.
    I hope it gets easier to fast as I plan on making this a long term thing!
    M

Have you tried a calorie counter app M? On non fast days I still plan what I am going to eat for the day and track it the night before. To make sure I stay full and my metabolism is working at its best I have breakfast lunch and tea with snack In between. Sorry for anyone who’s fasting….
    But a typical day for me is:
    Breakfast – 2x wheatabix with milk and half a banana
    Snack – apple
    Lunch – tuna and egg salad
    Snack – rice cakes and peanut butter
    Tea – chicken salad
    Snack- hot chocolate/fruit salad

It all depends how hungry I am really. I know it’s hard though to not over indulge! I’m going to try eating well during the week then have a nice meal out and some red wine on Saturday night as a treat and I’ll see how that goes on the scale..

Just try your best that’s all you can do :))

Thanks for the feedback Nat.
    Yes I use myfitnesspal and find it great.
    My problem is however that I just log what I’ve eaten.
    I should be using it to plan rather than just count.Wouldn’t that make it a better idea.

cool 🙂
    It is a lot easier when you plan what you are going to eat the night before or even plan a few days before, then you don’t have to really think about what you are going to eat and its a lot easier to stick to you allowance.

So today is my second fast. My first fast I had breakfast, lunch and dinner but today I haven’t eaten anything anything since 8 oclock last night and feel a lot better for it and I finding it alot easier..

looking forward to tea time now though!!

Nat
    xx

Well done Nat. I find it easier to eat one meal at night as there’s quite a few options with 500 cals to play with. Tying to stick to just above BMR today – here’s hoping!!!

Well that’s the 2nd fast done!! Definitely easier than the 1st and no headaches! 🙂
    When’s everyone doing their next fast?

Congratulations on the fast.Glad it was an easier time than before.
    Did you stick to the 500.I found I went over once I started to eat.I have to learn to control that,so I was thinking of doing another day tomorrow if I can,to get me in the frame for the weekend.
    I have struggled on my two normal days and could do with the challenge.

Reading back on this post,it reads like I’ve just struggled on fast days AND normal days!!!
    What the …….!!
    M

Enjoyed my meal tonight:-) it always taste sooo nice after 12 hrs not eating. I’ve stuck to my 500 for my tea. Found it hard not to eat more but hopefully it’s worth it. I’m conserved about my normal days over the wkend…….
    X

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 269 total)

You must be logged in to reply.