Plateaus?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hello all. I have lost 30 pounds in about the past five months or so. Unfortunately though my succeas has grinded to a complete hault and I have even gained 4 pounds.

I workout five to six times a week for 45 minutes to an hour (with two days of resistance training) and I usually stay right at or under my TDEE of 2245 on my feed days. (With exceptions of course, I slip up from time to time but typically this does not cause any problems until presumably now)

I am very discouraged. I started 4 3 on Monday and today is my second fasting day for this week. I am concerened that I could do more harm than good to my metabolism on 4 3, but I desperately want to lose these last 20 lbs.

Has anyone experienced plateaus on five two? Is this typical? Any words of encouragement? I am pretty disheartened and frustrated. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

HI LB,

I experienced two plateaus but both only lasted about a week or two. I went from 202 lb to 154 lb, so a 48 pound loss, which is similar to what you are wanting. Im now in maintenance and do 6:1 and still tend to creep downwards with my weight so there are days when I actually have to force myself to eat more than I really want to. I know that 5:2 doesn’t ban any foods but realistically there are some foods that make it real hard to be successful.

Keep doing the same thing and you will get the same results. So you need to change something. My fasts almost from the get go were water only fasts. My one fast day per week is still a water fast. Personally I think this really trains your liver to be as “fit” as it can possibly be. You want your liver to be able to access and convert stored fats really well. You go to the gym for fitness, think of water fasting as a workout for your liver. I noticed a decided difference after about 6 months of water fasting. All of a sudden water fasting became REALLY easy. So don’t expect results overnight. Success doesn’t chase you, you have to chase it.

So I would recommend you try two different things. Make one of your fast days a water only fast day. The other thing to try is to look very closely at what you eat. Eliminate all grain based processed foods, like bread, pasta, pizza, breakfast cereals. If the product came from a grain its a no go zone. No potatoes and no fruit juice no SUGAR. read food labels real closely.

Some people say, oh youre just doing a low carb diet. No not at all. I get all my carbs from veggies (and some fruit and beans/pulses). I just don’t get any carbs from grains. Most of the time I eat raw veggies as a salad meal but not all the time.

You work out a lot. Do you have all those protein shakes? If you do stop having them!! Most a based on whey protein which is crap and just spikes your blood glucose. Not good if your aim is to lose weight. If you need protein have tofu, cheese, beans etc. Sometimes after a long bike ride my body will be screaming for tofu which is my protein fix. On other occasions Im not even hungry, so you get used to listening to what your body needs.

Good luck.

Hello. I started the fast diet on 30/6/2015 and have not deviated from 2 fast days per week since starting. However I’ve only lost 11kg all up. I thought it might be my portions so I started to record what I ate/calories and strictly stuck to 2000 on my non-fast days but I’m only 163cm tall. So then I adjusted it to 1800 but still no good. I walk approx 7km 5-6 days a week as well. So I’m getting very frustrated. I have recently dropped to 1290 calories per day on non-fast days (after subtracting my exercise so I might have more than this) but I do experience “blow outs” of between 1600 – 2200 once a week on average. I do feel less bloated overall but I am feeling stymied. Any suggestions would also be gratefully acknowledged!!!

Why are you feeling frustrated? Youre losing about 0.5kg per week which is about the average weight loss. So you were on 2000 cal per day. Im assuming you had 500 cal on your fast days. So each week your 3000 cal down for the week. 9.3 cal per gram in fat. 3000 divide 9.3 = 322 grams loss per week. Youre losing about 500 g per week which is more than the calculated 322 g. That’s about right. Don’t believe all the diet hype. It took me one year to lose my weight.

Right on. Yea something has to change I get that. I like some of your suggestions. I am going to try cutting out processed grains. I already do not eat refined sugar and bleached flower. The water fast sounds tough however as I am a HUGE black coffee drinker. That shit soldiers me through fast days. However, once I eat something on fast days I am ravenous. It is a lot easier the first part of the day up until I actually eat my first portion. I think I am going to stick with the 4 3 as well though just to give it a whirl. But upon reflection I may have been a little too naughty too often with mt food choices here lately. (Perhaps resting on my laurels a bit)

And to the person who is also having trouble, have you tracked your inches or taken photos or tried on clothes that haven’t fit in the past? Sometimes the scale can be misleading. I measure inches and use the scale. Unfortunately neither have moved for about the past month though.)

LB,

When I said I do water fasts I allow myself a coffee with a splash of milk. Im not a big drinker of coffee, I usually have 2 a day. Sometimes a black tea. So by all means have your coffee. So realistically Im probably having 20-50 calories. Not enough calories to drop me out of ketosis (fat burning mode). I monitor this using a blood glucose and ketone meter. When I first started I used to do two consecutive fast days (60 hours) and it was taking me 48 hours to get to ketosis. I now get there after 24 hours. I think it is a combination of my glycogen stores not being 100% full and the fact that my liver is able to access stored fats efficiently now. I flip over into ketosis a lot quicker. I noticed this change after about 6 months.

Give a water fast a try. Im not saying its going to be easy but grit your teeth and give it a try. Giving it a red hot try at least once, it isn’t going to kill you. The benefits in my opinion are huge. In fact Michael Mosley made 5:2 500 calories because he didn’t think most people could handle zero calories. Its based on the work of Valter Longo and Krista Vardy.

LB– Congrats on your excellent progress so far! Don’t forget or down-play how well you’ve done!

bigbooty– couldn’t agree more with your fantastic assessment & advice. You are such a valuable resource for this whole forum (many thanks for the time you take with your thoughtful replies.)

When it comes to questions like yours LB, the best sources I have found (supported by science & research) are from Dr. Jason Fung.

1– His newest book “The Complete Guide to Fasting” is very helpful.
    2– I also learned tons from his first book “The Obesity Code”
    3– as well as his informative web-site: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

Best of luck with your continued success!

Margo: yes. Thank you I would never down play my tremendoud success so far! 🙂

Big booty: you are insanely knowledgeable, thank you for your input.

Just thought I would report back. I started 4 3 the day I posted this, and I am not kidding when I say the weight and inches have meltef off! It has been less than two weeks and I have lost four pounds and a few inches over all. I feel I will be at my goal very soon! 🙂

Way to go LB. 🙂 Most people I know just say Im insane and leave out the knowledgeable part 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.