Pearl Barley

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  coldpizza 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I’m dreaming of chicken this evening, with some veggies. Would Pearl Barley be a good or bad edition on a fast day? I’ve eaten nothing so far, so I’m going to have it all at dinner time! Thanks

I think pearl barley makes a wonderful tasty pilaf but I, personally, I’d save starchy carbs for food days.

I dear, I put 20 grams with my Broccoli, hopefully I won’t have ruined anything. I was still under the 500 cals, but now I understand it needs to be more of the ‘right’ foods.

I had Grilled chicken with a herb shake thing over it.
    Broccoli with some pearl barley on top.
    Cherry toms
    carrots
    Houmous

Actually looking it up it is low GI, so maybe it’s ok?

Barley and the glycemic index

According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), the glycemic index (GI) measures how foods containing carbohydrates raise blood glucose. Carbohydrate-containing foods are ranked on the GI according to how they compare to a reference food which is either glucose or white bread.

Glucose or white bread is given a GI of 100. Carbohydrate-containing foods are typically ranked high GI (70 or more), medium GI (56-69) and low GI (55 or less). A food with a high GI raises blood glucose more than a food with a medium or low GI. Barley is considered a low GI food.

The ADA suggests that if you are concerned about diabetes it’s important to follow a meal plan that fits your personal preferences and lifestyle, and that will help you reach your overall goals for managing blood glucose. Using the GI may be helpful in “fine-tuning” blood glucose management when combined with carbohydrate counting.

Thank you Salli, great information!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.