Palpitations on a fasting day

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Falltrekker 8 years ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Does anyone else suffer from this. I love the 5:2 diet and have lost 2.6kg in a month. But, in the same month I’ve noticed that on my fasting days (on which I usually have a nutriblast smoothie and a main meal in the evening), that I suffer from intermittent, palpitations, which manifests as a missing heart beat. Last night, this the palpitations lasted intermittently for an hour, happening about six times, within half an hour of eating my main meal of the day.

I don’t know if I’m putting two and two together and making five! But last year, when I did the 5:2 again and lost just under a stone and I didn’t experience these symptoms.

I have booked in to see my doctor but looking for some reassurance.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has had or who is having the same experience.

Hi Babsie_66
    I’ve just started on the diet and have completed 2 fast days, I actually came on this forum to ask the same question, I find that my heart races every so often during the day, it doesn’t seem to relate to anything I am doing. Let me know what the doctor says. I don’t think it would be anything serious but it would be good to know.
    Regards,GJ1

Hi
    I went to doctors: Heart sounded fine, apparently everyone had ectopic beats,just don’t notice them. More noticeable if stressed or anxious. These missed bests are actually an extra beat with a longer than normal gap, so make you feel like missing a best. My doctor also said can be caused by thyroid, loss potassium or magnesium. Also had ecg, for reassurance – all ok. Had bloods taken too, so waiting to hear. I said notice on fasting day and also certain days within monthly cycle. I would monitor it and see if a link, they say your body under a little more strain on s fasting day, possible low sugar etc. For reassurance, see how you go and maybe a checkup wouldn’t hurt anyway. My BP was slightly high (diastolic) and after losing weight (1 stone in 8 weeks) has come down by 10mm. Hope this post helps.

Well first of all, congratulations on a fabulous weight loss, this obviously works and I’m looking forward to getting on the scales on Friday morning to see my first week’s results.
    I’m pleased there is nothing wrong with regard to your palpitations and I’ll monitor mine tomorrow to see how it goes. It does make sense about the body being under stress so I won’t worry too much about it. I’m going to the doctor in a couple of weeks about something else, so if it’s still a problem I’ll talk to her then, but thanks for alleviating my initial concerns.

How much more weight are you planning to lose?
    I’m doing my first ‘at work’ fast day tomorrow so hopefully my brain will stay engaged for the whole day and I won’t fall asleep at my desk!

Hi and thank you. My overall goal is to lose another couple of stone ideally. The 5:2 really appears to have worked for me. I’d agree, see how you go and monitor the pesky palps/extra beats and mention them to your doctor when you next have an appointment. I’m on a fasting day today and being at work definitely helps. Take care and good luck.

I am so relieved to read these posts! I am suffering very nasty, prolonged palpitations on fasting days. I’m trying to increase my water intake and think that fasting for 24 hours is perhaps too much of a shock to the system and I should revert to Michael Mosley’s method of small breakfast after 12 hours and then small supper after another 12 hours. My heart races and feels like it’s beating out of sequence, through my ribs, all over the shop for upto 2 hours. One particularly scary night, they lasted all night. I thought I would have to go to A&E. I thought fasting was good for you!!

Magnesium, Calcium, and Vit D3 supplement.

That should fix it. If it doesn’t see your physician because what you’re experiencing for several hours is NOT normal. I’ve water fasted for six days and not had that type of incident. If I did I’d end the fast and find out what was going on. My guess is it’s nutrient loss but then I’m not a Dr. or nutritionist and I don’t play one on TV.

When it comes to your heart health get checked by a professional. I’ve had 9 heart attacks I know a thing or two about heart not healthy.

I have what I thought were palpitations. My doctor said it’s a pre-beat and not dangerous. He went into a long explanation of what it is that I didn’t really understand but pretended to so I wouldn’t look like a complete dunce to him.

Bronx

Hi, definitely go to the doctors if palps are worrying you. I ended up having an echocardiogram which showed that heart is fine. The palps were/are extra beats, which are normal, everyone has them. Stress, makes them more noticeable which in turn then stresses you, so a vicious circle. I still have one or two a day, but try to ignore them. I’m still dieting but not 5:2-ing, decided to up exercise to compensate. If in doubt, get it checked out.

I’ve always had the odd extra beat but noticed they were becoming more frequent on fast days. I was drinking several cups of green tea on fast days and wondered if this may be contributing. I didn’t realise that green tea contains a fair amount of caffeine and can trigger palpitations. I have since started manually decaffing my tea and palpitations much less frequent now.

Elevate your feet and have some quick sugar. I just started the diet last week and it happened today 4th fasting day) for the first time. Very scary. I was at the grocery store! Anyway, after trying this or that I had some sugar and lay on the floor with my feet up the wall (feet elevated) and that fixed it. Flippin’ hypoglycemia has hit me a few other times in my life. Anyway, I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance, being the dramatic type, but I didn’t. And I still haven’t finished my 500 cal’s for the day. Just hypoglycemia. And I am not diabetic.

Gotta echo the folks who are saying have it checked out by your doctor!

My husband started with palpitations in his 20s and ended up with episodes that felt like heart attacks. They weren’t actually, but they were sufficient to put him into arrhythmias at regular intervals in his 40s and 50s. Think Emergency Rooms and those everybody-stand-back!-paddles. Happily, it was eventually resolved with a number of ablations (permanently knocking out nerves that misfired causing the episodes). He’s well into his 60s and he’s outlived his mother, father and brother who all had cardiac issues because he’s had good support and interventions before things got out of hand.

There are benign random arrhythmias but, even so, it’s good for your doctor to have a baseline look at how your heart functions to monitor changes that may (may!) become more problematical.

Meanwhile, there are electrolyte supplements that could be helpful in providing the essential minerals your heart needs. Especially since, if you’re drinking a lot more water while intermittent fasting, you’re diluting the electrolytes provided by a normal balance diet.

I have a heart valve defect which isn’t serious but cause palpitations sometimes. I didn’t notice them increasing with fasting, but I definitely have to be careful with caffeine.

Hi,

I am not a Doctor but I read this on this web site and it may be your answer. This is the important bit although it concerns insomnia it may be relevant to heart palpitations. I also suffer when I have eventually dropped off only to wake with my heart ” racing” . I have rightly or wrongly put this down to the hormone resulting in a “flight” response! Everything calms down when I think I am not under attack and I go back to sleep!

“One common side effect of fasting is insomnia. It does not affect everyone, but certainly quite a few.
    In shorthand, one reason is because fasting increases norepinephrine levels in the body and one side effect of heightened norepinephrine levels is insomnia. The hormone also increases alertness (‘my mind just wouldn’t stop working’), speeds up the heart rate, pumps glucose into the bloodstream and is the basis of the ‘fight or flight’ response.
    Looking back, this makes sense. If in the olden days a person was unsuccessful in their hunt for food and was hungry, it would make sense for the body to become more alert, get more energy and be better able to find and catch something to eat.”

I hope this helps as the benefits of 5:2 are more than the occasional issue.

I find I do sleep more lightly on fast days….and I’m also getting up more in the night time to go to the bathroom.

Soon after I started the 5:2 fasting I too began to suffer from heart palpitations on and the day after my fast. I would experience everything from a racing heart to the typical missed beat. I tried many things to ease these palpitations and nothing seemed to help. They got so bad at times I eventually had to stop fasting. Frustrated, I went to see my doctor who as it turns out happens to fast himself.

He recommended that on my fast days I increase the calorie count by another 400 (300 for women), take a 400mg supplement of magnesium, and drink coconut water which is loaded with natural electrolytes. This combination has completely stopped my palpitations and I’m back in the game. You’ll still get plenty of benefits when increasing your calorie count by a couple hundred. You could try starting here, then experiment with the calorie count to see how your body reacts. You could also try a 250mg magnesium and see if that works but 400 works for me. I hope this helps others out there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.