Not losing weight after a month

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Not losing weight after a month

This topic contains 30 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Rara2614 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

• Hey everyone,

I started the 5: 2 diet about a month ago. To give you an idea about me, I’m nearly 5 foot 8 tall, and usually weight around 69.5kg. This means that I am comfertably within my BMI.

I run about 5 times a week (usually up mountain) and play basketball once a week and dance once a week.

I have been calorie counting as required on the fast days, and have been doing this diet for a month but I still weigh the same.

Has anyone else in a similar profile to me experienced the same? I would have thought that I would have lost weight by now?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
    Rara

Hello Rara…..maybe if your weight is good for your height then it may take longer than most to lose weight. I am about 4.6kg overweight but have only lost about 2kg despite fasting for more than 2 days a week. Slightly disappointed but onwards and hopefully downwards!

Keep the faith!

Thanks Peanuts. I will keep the faith. I think you are right, if you have less weight to lose, it takes longer to shed it. All the best to you too. Under 5kg to lose, you will smash it!

Hi Rara,

I’m 5ft7, and weighed 72.4kg when I began 5:2 (back in January 2014), so at the top end of normal BMI. But I was flabby at that! I reached my goal of 63kg in April 2014, but then carried on losing while I sorted out how to stop losing. By the start of June I was 60kg, and I have been at or below 60kg since then.

I’m afraid I have to challenge the belief that it is harder to lose weight if you don’t have much to lose. That is certainly not true for me. I can still lose up to 1kg a week if I fast. I mostly don’t anymore! At 58kg and size 8 I think I’m thin enough.

If you are sticking to 500 calories on a fast day and not losing weight then, unless you have an underlying medical condition or take drugs that inhibit weight loss, it seems likely that you are overeating on your non-fast days. Have you counted calories on non-fast days to see if you are eating over TDEE?

I don’t know what you are currently eating, but some people find it beneficial to cut down on highly processed carbs (white bread, pasta and rice) and sugar, and I certainly think that (together with reduced portion sizes) is probably why weight loss continues to be easy for me.

Good luck!

Hi
    I must be in a similar boat, started about a month ago and have apparently lost a total of 200 grams. I’m light to moderately active, eat about 90% unprocessed fresh food all made from scratch. I know you portion sizes on normal days are sometimes a bit high although it’s generally healthy stuff.
    I’m 163 cm tall and weigh 64-65kg (borderline overweight bmi) and would like to get to 60kg. I have seen no change in measurements at all.
    Trying to keep the enthusiasm for it as I feel disappointed to get this far into it and not see results.

Hi Smumoo

That is rather annoying as you put all your faith in a new way of eating, which on the face of it looks very exciting and the results are disappointing. However, don’t lose faith as there are other very good health benefits and you probably know and you probably just need to slightly alter your non fast day intake and see how it goes. Only wish I would listen to my own advice!

Good luck

Hi smumoo,

It doesn’t matter if you’re eating healthy or unhealthy stuff, if your portion sizes are too big on non-fast days then it still counts as overeating I’m afraid! My advice would be to try reducing portion sizes and see if that makes a difference.

Maybe try taking your measurements. You sound like you work out hard, and you may be losing fat and inches but your weight could be becoming more comprised of muscle from that.

Thats a good tip njmacsmith. My 5:2 book says that it is better to measure girth size once a month, rather than weight. So I will measure my girth size today.

I’m wondering about folks’ experience with perhaps not eating enough on non-fast days and having that slow weight loss? I use a fitness tracker (body bugg, a precursor to the new Jawbone up 3) and in the last month I have consistently eaten an average of 700-1000 cals less than I’ve burned and last week I GAINED 1.2 lbs. I’m meticulous about measuring my food portions and recording all I eat, and my exercise/steps are recorded on the body bugg website. Studies have shown the ‘bugg’ to be 92% accurate so I’m fairly confident in it. I’ve been keeping nonfast day calories at 2000, and only eat 500 on fast days. Getting a bit discouraged, but I’m definitely not gonna quit.

2000 calories sounds awfully high. My tdee worked out to about that but I knew I wouldn’t lose eating that much. So I cut it in half. Some days a bit more but not much.

Hi Rara!

I think that because you’re already normal weight, you’re just finding it harder to shift the stubborn pounds. I have found that closer I get to my goal, the harder it is getting to loose weight. You seem very active with all your fitness so you must be burning of loads of calories through that so I wouldn’t be worried about your TDEE as long as you eat sensibly. Would you consider adding an extra fast day to the week? Doing 4+3? Even doing it intermittently that one week 5+2 and 4+3 following week. I lost 1 1/2 stones and hit a plateau for months. Then decided to re-start on 4+3 and the pounds have been coming of slowly, about 1 lb per week. It is amazing how much difference that one extra day of fasting has made.

CC

Hi MaggieS,
    Where did you get your 2000 calorie/day number? Unless you are a tall female, that TDEE is on the high side. You may want to use the BMI calculator on this site to calculate your daily calorie need. Most people think they are more active than they really are and the suggestion is to set the activity level down a notch from what you think your activity level is. My TDEE for my age and height at moderate activity is 1800, but at light activity it is 1640. Those two hundred calories can add up over time, positively or negatively.
    Oops, just noticed the bug comments on your post, so maybe this doesn’t pertain.
    Well, maybe it will help someone else so I’m posting anyway.

Cheers.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I might be overeating on my feast days.I havnt been counting calories on my feast days. I tend to eat a balanced diet but I do have a big appetite, probably because of all the running I do. Ive measured my girth today and have written it down. Im wondering if I might be over eating on fast days, as Ive only done this diet for a month and Im not yet used to it? I think it will get easier. Unfortunately CC, I dont think I can add another fast day; with my counselling job and all my physical activity, I think I would find that too difficult. Im not overweight at all, so I shouldnt complain and should remember that I am at least getting good health benefits from this!

That’s fine rara, not everything suits everyone and even I struggle to fit in the 3rd fast day. It is jut something to consider if you ever have a quieter week. I personally found that I have got a big appetite as well and I’d be okay following a fast day but the next i’d be eating normally = too much. With doing an extra fast day I have finally amazed to shrink my belly and my portion sizes have got a lot smaller.

I hate counting calories but you could count them to see how much you’re eating on a non fast day. I honestly can’t be bothered with it because I get quite obsessive but I’ll count one day here and there just to get a rough idea how much I’m eating.

As long as you’re eating 500 calories on fast days you shouldn’t over eat. How many meals do you normally have on a fast day/ what do you eat?

This is my second week on the 5:2 plan and I thought I had seen a loss last Friday, but am back up again today. I’m 5’7″ and weigh 142 (today). I am looking to get to 136 as that’s always been a steady weight for me until the last two years. I’m 45 and have noticed a little gaining in the last two years. I workout very vigorously almost daily and the TDEE calculator says just over 2000 calories a day for me. I know from experience that is too high so I try to stick to 16-1700 on non fast days. I have seen the same struggles as Rara trying to lose any weight. It seems nearly impossible. I’m considering going to a 4:3 week (I like the idea of alternating it with a 5:2), but want to get a little more established with the 5:2 program first. I eat extremely “clean”, but my big weakness is wine on the weekend. I have given it up during the week and usually only have it on Fri and Sat, with the occasional Sunday. I, like Rara, am glad to have the health benefits, but am hoping for an added one of weight loss. Cheers.

According to the fast diet tracker my TDEE is 2245. I’m 5’9″ and work out for 45-60 min. 5 days a week,running and weight lifting. When I keep it to 2000 and the 500 fast days I average eating 1571 a day. I’m just gonna keep on with the fasting and monitoring my non-fast days as well.

so you cut your TDEE in half, meaning you only eat 1000 cals on a nonfast day? That seems low to me, so maybe I’m confused.

thanks for your feedback. I have used this (the fastdiet.co.uk) site’s bmi and tdee tools to reach the numbers I have as well as monitoring my own fitness tracker’s input.
    I do appreciate input, so thank you.

Maybe because I am older, WHAT I eat affects me as much as how much I eat.

Peanut butter (or any nut, it seems), honey, some fruits, even whole wheat bread, makes me gain. As soon as I drop those, I start dropping pounds. And when they go, the calories also go, hence my low tdee.Whatever, it works for me.

Maybe You could try something from things above, it helped me a bit
    http://my-recommendations.com/weight-loss-diet-pills-supplements.html

Thanks again everyone for your input. It is great to get so many different perspectives!

Lost 1.6 lbs this week, up 1% in muscle and down 1% in body fat and all that was different was trying to get in more, higher quality protein, eating just a few more calories on non-fast days. I still burned an average of 1100 cals more than I took in, averaging 11,000 steps a day. Working on the quality of my intake, making sure I get enough protein seemed to make a difference.

I’m 5ft5, 26yo, and 69Kg. At 18yo I was comfortably at 50Kg and quite active (climbing, hillwalking), but at this stage I’ll be happy to get back to 60Kg.

I’ve been fasting on and off since last autumn and strictly 2-3 times a week since mid Feb and I’ve seen NO CHANGE, except a SLIGHT reduction in my hip measurement. I run 3-5 times a week, cycle to work (8 miles a day), weight train, I’m a gardener so it’s physical all day, calorie count on the feast days and ALWAYS eat below my resting metabolic rate (1400). What is going wrong?

I fasted for 5 days last week, I didn’t even feel hungry so I thought I was doing great. I lost a grand total of 200g, which have come straight back on. “Despair” doesn’t quite cut it! I don’t want to lose the faith, but…

Can anyone think why this isn’t working?

May sound strange and I’m no expert but I think you should eat more. If you’re that active and eating that little calories all the time then increasing your calories might help. It has worked for some on this site. Maybe do 7+0 for one week. How long is your fast, 24 or 36 h? And what do you tend to eat on your fast days?

Agree with above. What you eat has a lot to do with it. Also (and some will disagree) when you eat, or more specifically, when you stop eating for the day.

Also, as active as you are, you could be building so much muscle and inflammation that it offsets any fat loss.

I STOPPED working out, except for 3-4 days of 15 minute hiit sessions. And lost 3, 1, 3, and 1.8 lbs each of the 4 weeks I have been at it. Also started 4:3. Stopped eating anything with fructose or wheat, bad carbs, etc. (The Leptin diet).

So tell us about a day in your eating life.

I mostly eat veg and fruit, occasional meat and fish. Don’t go heavy on the pasta/rice/bread as it upsets my stomach and not lots of dairy as my partner’s lactose intolerant.

Today for example (not a fast day)
    Late Breakfast: poached egg, rocket, 3 pieces of streaky bacon
    Lunch: no lunch
    Dinner: vegetable bake (courgette, mushroom, onion, bit of cheese on top)
    Drinks: water and mint tea.

I tend to completely fast from dinner time the night before (usually from 7-8pm) through to lunch the following day (around 2pm) then have my 500 cals split between some fruit and my dinner.

I’ve tried telling myself I’m just swapping fat for muscle, but I think that’s mostly wishful thinking!

I think you’re doing everything right when it comes to your fast day eating but I honestly think you need to eat more during your normal eating days.

I think there’s so much controversy about starvation mode and Michael has said it doesn’t exist. I don’t believe in starvation mode in itself but I do believe that if you are constantly eating too little calories (around 1000 per day) your body gets used to that and your metabolism gets slower. Basically your body gets used to what ever you’re doing long term and I think that’s one of the benefits of 5+2. It sorts of shocks your body to burning fat because you’re constantly doing different things, one day eating 2000 calories and the next day 500. Even if you’re eating a low carb diet, it’s sometimes beneficial to eat a carb filled meal just to shock your body and get things going again.

I think reading about how much exercise you do, I don’t understand how your body has enough fuel. Basically your daily intake is probably around 1000 calories but at the same time you’re burning so much through your physical job and exercise that there probably isn’t anything left. I do envy your extremely healthy lifestyle and diet lol and I wish that was my problem as well. I’m not telling you to pig out but maybe try and increase your daily intake so that when you do have a fast, it is a noticeable fast day because at the moment you’re almost fasting every day. The other thing is that you are eating very little carbs considering again how much you exercise, there are some options available that don’t upset your stomach as much. My mum has been doing low carb diet for ages because she suffers from same problems as you do but she has got a certain bread (for people suffering from celiac) that suits her. I have also fallen in love with almond milk and mix it in my Nutriblast since I don’t like to drink milk either. It is very soft tasting and low calorie.

Hope this helps. Like I said before, I’m no expert and can only speak from my own limited experience. But generally when you hit a wall, it’s always good to mix things up a bit and try different things because in the end you’ve got nothing to loose

CC

Thanks guys, I’ll try mixing it up and see what happens. As you say, it can’t hurt at this stage! I was talking to a medic friend of mine and she said to try swapping some medication too, but I’ll try the suggestions one at a time and see if they have any effect.

It might sound silly but your advice has kicked me out of the funk I was starting to get into over 5:2, so thank you! I was all set to give up a few days ago but you’ve encouraged me to keep at it 🙂

Aah thank you! I hope trying different things works out, keep us posted 🙂

Hey everyone! I just thought I’d report some good news. It seems that the diet is working after all! My waist on my belt and another pair of jean felt looser last week. I checked my weight this week and I weigh 67.8kG. Before my lowest weight was 68.4. 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply.