No results in 3 months

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
No results in 3 months

This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  StephB 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Hi,
    Like a few others, I am not losing any weight. I have been on the diet for 3 months and not lost a thing. I don’t understand because;
    I am 15st 8lb
    walk 10,000 steps a day
    do a martial art for 2.5 hours once a week
    walk on escalators, walk up stairs
    drink black coffee and green tea
    Don’t have a problem with my fast days. Find them quite easy
    Don’t drink 3 consecutive days
    Don’t add sugar to anything
    Don’t eat cakes, crisps, chocolate, biscuits or drink soft drinks

I have recently been to the doctor’s for a health check and found I have a high cholesterol of 7.5. No diabetes signs.
    Why does my body not respond? It isn’t the first diet I’ve tried to no avail and I follow it exactly as specified. Can anyone help please.
    John

I admire the fact that you have actually stayed on the programme for 3 months with no weight loss.
    You sound fairly active and athletic and muscle weighs more than fat. Did you take any measurements before you started – especially neck and waist as these are good indicators of changes within your body.
    Did your GP offer any explanation?

Hi Lindyw,
    No changes in measurements. I’ve always been quite active, but cannot lose weight. Even when I massively reduced alcohol intake it made no difference. Doctor has suggested another blood test which may prove an error in original reading but does nothing for my weight loss.

Hi John, I’ve been fasting for nearly a year and although I had good results in the first month, my weight loss stopped even though I was still somewhat overweight. I kept fasting anyway for the potential other health benefits and was later diagnosed with underactive thyroid. Probably about 6 weeks after starting medication my weight started to drop slowly but surely – the thyroid problem was definitely stopping me from losing weight. If you’ve not had a thyroid check may be worth a try?

Hi rainbow. I was checked 5 years ago when a fitness instructor at the gym I frequented was surprised I hadn’t lost any weight (or inches) after a month of going to the gym daily. Result was fine. The doctor sending me for a re-check on my cholesterol asked about feeling tired, I pondered and said occasionally to which she replied I wouldn’t have to think about it if it was a problem so didn’t put a thyroid test down. Maybe I should get it checked again.

I had no idea I had a serious medical issue and went to the doctors for help with skin problems that I thought were caused by stress. My doctor said “let’s do some tests just in case” and my thyroid levels came back as only slightly under. I suspect that other doctors might not have medicated me as it was close to borderline but I’m very glad they did – the combination of the medication and continued fasting have done wonders – I wish you luck with finding out why your weight isn’t shifting. Have you checked your calories here? http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ I only looked at this today and discovered I should be sticking to 370 calories on fast days… fortunately after finding 500 very easy at the beginning I decided to stick with 400 and now actually rarely go over 350, sometimes as little as 200. If I’d gone for the full 500 allowed for women from the start I don’t think I’d have had the success I’ve had and I certainly wouldn’t be feeling as many benefits.

Hi John,
    Do you stick to no more than 2,500 calories on non fast days?

Hi Nick,
    I quite often do less than 2500. This is why I don’t understand why it doesn’t appear to be working.

Baffled, that would be my only guess for it not working. Maybe try every other day fasting or 4:3 to kick start it.

Hi Johnw, not sure if you’ve read through the FAQ but it does cover not losing weight, i’ve copied and pasted it here for you to save time, something here may help kick start things for you xx

Try adding another fast day to make it a 4:3 Fasting pattern as this still allows you some flexibility as to which days to fast.

If you want to lose weight faster, or have hit a plateau with the 4:3 Fast, then you might consider doing Alternate Day Fasting. As the name implies, with ADF you cut your calories to ยผ of their normal level (ie 500 for women, 600 for men), every other day. On your non-fast days you eat normally, though in some trials of ADF the volunteers were allowed to eat what they wanted and still lost weight. Studies on people doing ADF have shown that, on average, they tend to lose around 2lbs a week, most of it fat.

You donโ€™t want to obsess about weight. What you really want to do is lose fat, preferably around the gut. I encourage you, before you start, to measure your girth (around the belly button), and monitor the change over a period of time.

Look at the calories you are getting from drinks on your non fast days. Juices, lattes, alcohol, fizzy drinks, smoothies all contain a lot of calories. If you can move to drinking more water and sugar free tea/coffee that will help. Calories you drink do not satiate. If you eat three apples they will fill you up. Drink 3 apples in form of a small fruit juice and it will not fill you up.

Simply moving more will help. I always take the stairs, even up 7 flights. Get a pedometer. Aim to do 10,000 steps a day. Most people do less than 5000. A long term study on people who lost weight and kept it off found that those who were successful all increased the amounts they walked.

Keep a diary of everything you eat or drink for a week. Then look at the calorie content. Some foods may leap out. I was horrified to discover a muffin can be anywhere between 300-600 calories. Lots of evidence that people who keep an honest diary lose more weight

If you cut your calories 2 days a week, donโ€™t overcompensate on the other days and keep reasonably active then you will lose fat. Unfortunately fat is incredibly energy dense, which is why for some people the process can be frustratingly slow.

Hi. Fast for life. I had read that and bar adding a third fast day, which I have half done, none applies to me. I either do or don’t do them respectively as listed in my first post. I would have thought, going from eating normally to reducing calories to 600 (just under in fact)twice a week would have made an impact. The third (intermittent)day, I fast and eat less calories but not a quarter of my allowance. Still nothing. When I talk about losing weight I mean fat. No change in measurements. I eat a lot healthier than most I know and when drinking predominantly stick to Gin and Tonic. The rate I’m going, Ill have to be drastically reducing calories to the point I’d have to start taking supplements.

John,
    Hello and I really sympathise. I lost nothing for the first 3 months, and like you, I was doing everything right. I have only managed to lost at all by counting calories every day, which is a bore. It is coming off, but very slowly, and I am worried about decreasing my calorie allowance too much in case my body gets used to functioning on a low calorie base.
    I have had thyroid tests and put my weight problems down to taking anti-depressants for many years.
    It is galling to read other people’s success stories when it’s not working for you!
    I’m just carrying on, because, to be honest, what’s the alternative?

Hi John & Fast group,
    A little while ago I posted that I lost 8 lbs the first week I was thrilled as this has never happened to me before. Well a month on and I have not lost even an ounce. Not only that, having gotten a little discouraged I went a little wild , ate whatever I wanted and didn’t do a fast day. I didn’t gain even an ounce. I had pizza last night which usually puts 2 lbs on me overnight and NO change.All along I followed the program to a T. This morning I decided to continue on with the program. Over all I feel better on the program, but I need to lose a lot of weight. I just don’t understand what is happening. I am thinking of adding a 3rd fast day to see what effect it has. One thing that I feel could be contributing is that I struggle to eat my full caloric intake the day after a fast. Thoughts anyone??

Oh bummer John!
    Have you done any measurements?

You are so active and apparently one does not lose muscle with intermittend fasting as with a lot of other types of diets.
    Could it be that you are actually building muscle?
    Apart from muscle weighing quite a lot, your muscles might be holding water in their repair mode.

About cholesterol, my husband comes from a family with high cholesterol.
    He even has high readings while we eat vegetarian.
    My bad cholesterol is almost non existing and the good cholesterol is a schoolbook example…so hey!
    People are all different.

I’d be very interested what you’ll find when monitoring your measurements.
    I genuinly wish you good news.

Hi, the generic recommendation for me (women) is 2000 cals on non fast days but this is way too high for me with my TDEE being around 1665 cals (TDEE). 25% of TDEE means I should be only consuming around 416 on fast days.
    Now, to lose 1 lb of fat you have to have a deficit of around 3500 cals min, so based on a deficit of 3500 cals (approx) I would have to add three fast days in my weekly regime, and not two (as recommended by the diet).
    Of course, we are all individuals (with differing levels of exercise and different metabolisms, diets etc) therefore I purely just wanted to highlight how the diet is for ME, meaning I will have to work slightly harder than the recommended 2000 cals per non fast day, 500cals two fast days, in order to lose only 1 lb per week.
    Yes, this is going to be hard work and Yes, 1 lb a week sounds tiny (to me) when I’ve got many lb’s to lose; my point is, although some lose on the recommended cals of 2000/2500 with only two fast days at 500 cals, some of us may have to tailor the diet closer to our individual selves.
    I don’t want to be disheartened with the diet and haven’t the stamina of Johnw to keep with it when I am not losing weight, therefore started 5:2 regimen on the first week and then am following 4:3 from this week. I’m only on my 4th fast today (2nd week) and feel lots better already.
    Furthermore, to add – I just wanted to mention that I have ‘roped’ my 66 year old mum into it too. I am finding doing this with someone else so much easier. We try to take turns with the cooking on fast days and look forward to the only meal of the day. Working days I tend to use the slow cooker which also makes it a lot easier.
    I wish everyone luck, and hope that maybe tweaking the diet will help alongside getting checked out by the doc. remember, nothing great is easy! xx

John,

You mentioned that, on non-fast days, you quite often eat less than 2500 calories. Have you ever considered that, on non-fast days, you are actually eating too little?

The fundamental principle of 5:2, as I understand it, is to eat normally 5 days a week, and only calorie restrict on two days. That way the body understands that it is a short term thing and won’t go into famine/starvation mode. If, however, in an attempt to accelerate things, you are restricting on the non-fast days, too, then your body might think that it is in a long-term famine. When the calorie restriction is short term (less than 96 hours, if I recall correctly), then metabolism increases, and your body switches to burning fat rather than muscle. This makes sense, physiologically, because your body wants to preserve all of your muscle and take advantage of your built in energy supply to allow you to go out and find food. If, however, the calorie restriction is long term, your body switches and goes into starvation mode. At that point, all fat has to be preserved because it doesn’t know if/when normal food intake will resume.

So, in effect, you might not be losing weight because you are actually eating too little on the non-fast days. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but if you’re not losing any weight and you have been strict with the 600 cal on the fast days, you might try eating a bit more on the non-fast days so that your body knows the calorie restriction is over. Now, I wouldn’t go overboard, but it is important to actually eat ALL of the required calories for you age and activity level on the non-fast days. That way your body knows that the fast days are only temporary, and that it is okay to burn fat. Your body needs to know that normal food quantities will return. If it thinks that EVERY day is calorie restricted, but on two days a week it just gets worse, then it will hold on to as much fat as it can possibly get.

Ditto with Tom! ๐Ÿ˜€
    I ate probably too little for years without realising. I realised this only when I finally started to count calories… I gained weight little by little since my teens (completely normal weight at childhood&teens) and following the ‘eat less, exercise more’ theme I tried to loose weight for some time. Didn’t work. But I realised that I ate perhaps too little for my expenditure: usage was without exercise 2400kcal/day and I ate around 1200-1800… How could I still gain weight? ๐Ÿ˜€ Well, it happened. I also ate way too little protein. I exercised a lot… Then, when I realised I ate too little and had done so for god knows how long, I started to eat more. Well, nothing happened then either. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    My point is exactly what Tom makes here above.

And then 5:2 worked. ๐Ÿ˜€ And I don’t restrict myself on non-fast days. In fact I exercise less these days than, say 3-5 years ago. Now that I weigh less, I think I could restart my running etc… that may at this point get me off my current plateau.

From reading these and other posts I’ve come to the conclusion that for some people (including me) losing weight just takes a long, long time.

I am 57 and have been accumulating excess weight over decades, although at an increased rate in the last four years or so following menopause. I started 5:2 in February – about 6 and a half months ago. I lost around 4kg in the first three months and then hit a plateau in May. What kept me going through the plateau was some very encouraging results from my annual health check. I’ve had high blood glucose for some years now, bordering on type 2 diabetes, but by the end of May my blood glucose reading was within the normal range – towards the top end, admittedly, but normal. My bad cholesterol reading had reduced – it was still too high but was moving in the right direction. I take my BP reading most days and this is slowly coming down too. Having suffered from severe gum disease most of my adult life the dentist and dental surgeon have both confirmed recently that my gum health is much improved. And I just feel better. Some days I feel more energetic than I have for years.

All of the above is enough to keep me going on 5:2 even if I never lost another gram. However, a couple of months ago, still on a plateau, I decided to look more carefully at what I was eating on the non-fast days. I read up on metabolic syndrome, the bad effects of sugar and starch (read Robert Lustig on the subject – the book is ‘Fat Chance’ – or watch him on YouTube) and in July I decided to move to a low-carb diet on 5 days, while still fasting on 2. I find this approach suits me very well indeed and I have started losing small amounts of weight again. I eat protein, fat and plenty of veg. I don’t miss fruit – I never liked it much anyway and generally only ate it because it was supposed to be good for me – and it’s been surprisingly easy to cut out the bad carbs. I’ve also given up drinking alcohol, which has also been straightforward.

In response to John W’s comments – I understand how disheartening it is when you’re not getting results. He’s already doing a lot of sensible things like not eating sugar. I’ve gone a bit further than this and am not eating starchy foods either – might this be worth a try?

I suspect that the solution varies from one individual to another. Some of us have compromised our systems by too much dieting in the past, or by overindulgence in bad stuff like sugar. We’re all experimenting on ourselves with this diet. For some people, adopting 5:2 as described in the book just works, and they lose loads of weight quite quickly. For others (e.g. some of us post-menopausal women) it’s a long hard slog. We may have to tailor the diet to suit ourselves, and it may involve trial and error. Personally, I think it’s worth the effort and for me this has become a permanent lifestyle change.

JohnW-
    I totally feel your pain here! I am 41 years young and have tried every diet known to womankind…and it’s like my body is immune to all the ones that work for everyone else. I am 41 years young and need to lose about 20 lbs to be at a realistic weight for my large-framed body (puts me at a good size 12).
    The only diet that truly worked for me (and with amazing results) was the HCG diet…but it’s SO restrictive and the weight slowly came back on as soon as I started adding any starches/carbs back in.

Back in April I decided to start 5:2. I was around 185 lbs when I started. After the first few weeks, I had lost down to about 178…and then it stopped. And there I stayed for the next 3 MONTHS. I did 4:3, I did every other day fasting, I exercised, I cut out carbs etc…all the things you have done. Nada. I didn’t take my measurements so I couldn’t compare those but I was very disheartened.

After 3 months, I decided to just quit the 5:2. Well, looking back, I actually looked pretty good at the time I was doing 5:2. I still don’t eat gluten, very minimal sugar, low dairy…and I am now a little over 190lbs!

All this to day I should have just stuck with the 5:2 even with no weight loss because it was at least affording me 5 days a week where I didn’t have to really obsess about food and the 2 fast days really weren’t that hard for me. And I agree with those who say “I’m going to just keep doing it because really, what are your other options?” Because my other option was that I put on almost 15 lbs from stopping 5:2!

So now I’m back and I am NOT going to weigh myself at all. I took my measurements and am just going to look at this as a health change…NOT a weight change. Man I wish I had just stuck with it…then I wouldn’t have these 15 lbs to try to lose now ๐Ÿ™

Just a different perspective from someone who has “been there, done that”.

Thanks for the warning, NicoleS! Having “been there, done that” with every other diet, I know full well that there is no such thing as a ‘miracle cure’. My own progress is painfully slow but I’m taking the view that whilst I’m following the plan I’m at least not gaining any more weight and that, for 5 days of the week, I don’t have to ‘diet’. Like Pudding said, what’s the alternative? For a serial dieter like me, there isn’t one!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply.