New and not sure where to begin

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
New and not sure where to begin

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  And… exhale 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hello all! I’ve just signed up. I’ve heard many of my colleagues doing this for various reasons and at first I thought they were nuts. Then I thought I cannot do this, I am always “hangry” if I don’t eat and I get headaches. Alot. So I am not looking forward to even more intense headaches the first little while. But I just don’t know where to start as I feel I am already negative towards this as it is. I just know that I have to change something somewhere as I am 45 years old and it’s getting harder to lose any amount of weight. No matter what program I am, I lose about 2 or 3 kgs and then…plateau. Then I get demotivate and I go back to my old habits. My biggest problem? A very stressful house and my unbelievable weakness towards chocolate. So, tips for starting out?

Hi LGK and welcome:

This thread will answer a large majority of your questions: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi LGK616, it’s really just about you being honest with yourself about what you want out of it. 5:2 WILL work for most people but if it’s not something that you can fit into your life and live with forever (and it WILL be forever or there’s no point starting) then don’t bother.

Feeling ‘hangry’ and headachy will probably be common on fastdays for the first month or more until you get used to it. If you’re willing to suck it up and cope with that initial ‘detox’ portion of 5:2 then it will get easier and easier until you reach the point where you actually look forward to fasting days as a welcome ‘cleanse’ day or just a nice simple day where you don’t need to stop whatever you’re doing to refuel half way through – it becomes nice not to be shackled by mealtimes and a clock telling you when you should eat.

If you want to try 5:2 then really try it – commit to AT LEAST a month’s worth of fastdays and accept that the first few WILL be a bit like torture.

When I first fasted I couldn’t get through a whole day without eating something in the middle of my workday, so I had a bag of chopped up celery, cucumber and carrot sticks at about 11am and I’d take 200kcal worth of porridge & a pinch of sugar (which I made up with just water) for my late lunch at about 2-3pm. I’d then have 300kcal for my dinner as late as I could. Usually soup & a small roll.

This, along with BUCKETS of water got me through those first few weeks but in the interim I did lots more research on the best ‘bang for my buck’ regarding calories and I began to experiment. After a while I settled on not eating AT ALL on fastdays until fairly late (7-8pm) and having a bowl of branflakes (carby I know but what I looked forward to ALL day and eaten late enough that it didn’t matter) & a nice cup of tea (soya milk & 2 sugars). This regime lasted me about 18 months and I lost most of my weight in the first 2 years on 5:2. But the key was finding what worked FOR ME. Drinking a bucket of water will help everyone but ‘what works best for you’ will take some thought & experimentation.

I’ve now switched up my fastdays again and mostly just have 1 late meal of veg with a little protein and no carbs if I can possibly help it (carbs are the devil on fastdays).

Work out your TDEE (How Tab above), stick to 500(F) or 600(m) kcal on fastdays and your TDEE or a bit less on non fastdays and as far as ‘what’ and ‘when’ are concerned – experiment and find ‘your ideal’. If you need an extra 100kcal on fastdays to start with – don’t beat yourself up about it – just cut it out again as soon as you can).

You will be pleased to know that 3+ years into 5:2 I am still a chocoholic and put aside about 500kcal worth of chocolate calories on EVERY non-fastday. There’s no point living if you can’t enjoy your favourite things and with 5:2 you don’t have to give ANYTHING up – you just have to have 500kcal ONLY 2 days a week – that’s the only rule – the rest of it you make up for yourself.

Good luck.

Eat.
    Don’t eat.
    Repeat until thin.

?

Brilliant Heron

can I add one?

Liquid only fasts are wonderful

after 4 glasses of wine you stop caring how fat you are!

Ok, I’m leaving now – been teetotal for two weeks, helps the calorie intake but tends to make me a little facetious!

Wow Tracy J – that is 5:2 in a nutshell!

Only thing I’d add for LGK616 is that I find drinking some miso soup at lunchtime really useful on Fast Days to keep that headachy/hangry feeling away. I guess any low-cal salty soup would do.

I find a cup of hot tea before all meals has also sorted out most of my hunger issues – with milk on TDEE days, and black, green or herbal on Fast Days.

Good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.