My Fast Day…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  NickyB 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• This is what I ate today, I just wondered if I could have some feedback please?

WW Veg Cupa Soup – 48 calories
    WW Brown bread slice – 48 calories
    small banana – 95 calories

100g Salmon Fillet – 108 calories
    113g Sweet baked potato – 157 calories
    100g green beans – 25 calories
    small carrot – 20 calories

Also did 10 mins walk, 5 mins jog, 10 mins bike…

I want to know where you found a 100g piece of salmon for only 108 calories 🙂 we have pre-packed 125g portions and our calorie convertor tells me that is about 250 calories!!!!!!!

What kind of salmon do you have? Very interested as salmon, tomatoes and beans is our staple fast day dinner.

My only advice is perhaps you could change the baked potato to some other veg like spinach stir fried with some Asian cabbage, tomato and capsicum etc for much less calories. And you could have a heap as well.

I love my bread but stay away from carbs on fast days – and very much reduce my general intake on non fast days.

deedeehug….. I know that My Fitness Pal lists a 100g salmon fillet from Asda as being 108 cals BUT it lists a 100g salmon fillet from Tesco at 196 cals, Morrisons 100g fillet at 215 cals and Marks and Spencer 100g at 220 cals….

so obviously the Asda one is wrong, I’m afraid and your daily calorie total is 100 cals out.

I agree about the potato, I also avoid carbs on fast days. I have ‘courgetti’ or cauliflower rice when I have veggie bolognese or a chicken curry.

Gutted about the salmon fillet, it was an asda one so that’s where I went wrong.
    I was very hungry last night as I didn’t save any calories for a hot choc or anything 🙁

Today us normal day!

Hi all,

actuall I do not care about carbohydrates on fast days and it works totally well. I also do not see the problem with the sweet potato as long as it fits in, it fits in. This whole thing about the fast diet is that you yourself find a way to keep up this lifestyle for the rest of your life.

For me that means: no carbohydrates on two days/week, no, thanks, I could live up to that for maybe 4 weeks but then I’d turn out to be too inconvenient for me. Saying, if you feel more comfortable having carbs on fast days, do it and try out, if it works for you. If not, there’s always time to change.

Don’t get too hooked about about the opinion of others concerning what you eat on your fast days. Well, of course, there could always be a healthier option but as Michael writes in his book: diets should be more about how people ACTUALLY behave and not about how they should behave.

Hope you don’t mind my frank words.

Well said in your last paragraph, neverendingstory. I sometimes think that the words “should” and “ought to” should be banned, especially when it comes to health and wellbeing in general and diets and ways of eating in particular.

Whoops! I’ve just realised I’ve used “should” myself. Slapped wrist! Maybe it should read something like “It would be good if the words, etc, etc…

Removing the words ‘should’ and ‘must’ from any discussions on ways of eating is the best thing that could happen. As I keep on preaching – ‘it’s what works for the individual’ that is important,

However, there is some weight behind advising that carbs are not the best thing for fast days.

a. they are usually high in calories, leaving very little for other foods

b. carbs can often make you more hungry and lead to eating more than you need to. I know that if I start the fast day with carbs, I find it much more difficult to stay within my fast day ‘limit’.

BUT….it’s up to everyone to find the best way for them and like hermaj, I agree with your last paragraph.

I guess if a person is going to fall apart if they are unable to have a certain type of food, be it carbs, fats or whatever, the only possible solution is to make allowance for it in their eating plan, although it may well mean restricting things that could be termed healthier. Until my early 40s I couldn’t stand tea without sugar, so each cup would run up something like 30-35 calories. Not a great idea on a fast day. Now I find tea with sugar very unappealing. And using semi-skimmed – sorry can’t be doing with totally skimmed – counts for 7 cals, or perhaps a tad more if someone else pours the milk in.

Sadly, with the exception of mint tea, which I love and always drink in lieu of coffee after a meal out, I don’t like milkless herbal stuff. But on one occasion I could well have done without the milk. On a trip to Prague ordered a cup of tea with milk, not realising what I was going to get was a fruit tea which with milk looked like Windowlene. Also beware of asking for “te con leche” – tea with milk – in rather less sophisticated bars and cafes in Spain, that is unless you fancy a cup of hot milk with a teabag dangling in it.

On the subject of carbs, I do eat them in moderation within the framework of the Fast Diet. However, if feeling really unwell, I tend to go right off food altogether, but if I do feel like eating the only things I don’t find nauseating are mashed spuds and toast and Marmite. There’s probably a good physiological – and maybe psychological – reason for it.

I think its very easy to become evangelical about 5:2 especially if you find it suits your way of life, so ‘should’ and ‘ought to’ easily creep into advise given to anyone who is brave/stupid enough to as me about IF 😛
    I will happily forgive anyone who ‘preaches’ to me so long as they pull me back on the wagon as I am slipping off!
    Back to the topic
    Deedee once you have sorted your salmon out, if what you choose to eat on fast days results in an eventual weight loss and suits your lifestyle you go girl!
    🙂

Hi deedeehug, well done on getting your fasting days under way- I promise it gets easier with time, I’ve been following this way of eating for16 months now and find it becomes second nature. One idea to bear in mind though, 500 calories goes much further if you eat lots of salads and vegetables, especially those that grow above the ground (root vegetables tend to be more starchy). On fast days I often have a big bowl of asparagus, courgettes, mange tout, red peppers, shredded baby gem lettuce and spring onions with 80 grams lean cooked chicken or prawns, stir steamed in a wok with a dash of water plus garlic, fresh ginger, fresh chilli and a dash of soy for flavour, and served with 1/3 of a nest of noodles (20g dry weight) cooked separately. This comes in at 250 calories, and really looks and feels like a full meal. I also enjoy big bowls veg and bean soup, or spicy lentil and veg soup.

Another thing I found useful in the first month or so was to write down everything I ate on fast days, carefully weighing and measuring every ingredient and checking the calorific value online. This sounds a pain, but really is a help to stay under 500 cals, and after a while I had a handful of recipes and meal plans which I knew would be tasty and satisfying

Best of luck!

Hi deedeehug, well done on getting your fasting days under way- I promise it gets easier with time, I’ve been following this way of eating for16 months now and find it becomes second nature. One idea to bear in mind though, 500 calories goes much further if you eat lots of salads and vegetables, especially those that grow above the ground (root vegetables tend to be more starchy). On fast days I often have a big bowl of asparagus, courgettes, mange tout, red peppers, shredded baby gem lettuce and spring onions with 80 grams lean cooked chicken or prawns, stir steamed in a wok with a dash of water plus garlic, fresh ginger, fresh chilli and a dash of soy for flavour, and served with 1/3 of a nest of noodles (20g dry weight) cooked separately. This comes in at 250 calories, and really looks and feels like a full meal. I also enjoy big bowls veg and bean soup, or spicy lentil and veg soup.

I also found it useful in the first month or so was to write down everything I ate on fast days, carefully weighing and measuring every ingredient and checking the calorific value online. This sounds a pain, but really is a help to stay under 500 cals, and after a while I had a handful of recipes and meal plans which I knew would be tasty and satisfying

Well done on the exercise too, as I have read elsewhere that exercise on fasting days is more effective at burning off fat than on eating days.

Best of luck!

I also found it useful in the first month or so was to write down everything I ate on fast days, carefully weighing and measuring every ingredient and checking the calorific value online. This sounds a pain, but really is a help to stay under 500 cals, and after a while I had a handful of recipes and meal plans which I knew would be tasty and satisfying

Well done on the exercise too, as I have read elsewhere On this site that exercise on fasting days is more effective at burning off fat than on eating days.

Best of luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.