Moderate exercise

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  diverdog 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• I do two 20 min Hiit training running hills and one very steep uphill 30 minute walk on treadmill per week. Also do some abs and full push-ups during the week. Is this considered moderate excercise per week? Just trying to work out my kj allowance for the week.

Thx Snez

If I were you I would select light exercise. Most of us over estimate the amount of exercise we do.

So what your saying is this would be considered as light exercise? I thought light exercise was just walking. The runs are hard uphill intervals with rest between, I am completely out of breath after each uphill sprint. I do about 10-12 sprints per session lasting anywhere from 30 sec to 1 minute, 2xper week. Is this still considered light? Find this very confusing.

Hi Shezian and welcome:

As a benchmark, if you walked five miles three times a week, you would be, for TDEE purposes, inactive. It does not matter how you feel after the exercise, it is the length of time involved. You say you are doing 12 sprints of one minute twice a week – that comes out to 24 minutes a week of exercise. To walk five miles three times a week takes five hours.

Most people overestimate the amount of exercise they do.

Good Luck!

I thought intense exercise was better for weight loss than lower intensity. When l walk l feel like l’ve done nothing.

Hi Shezian:

Exercise is the best thing you can do for better overall health, but it is a non event for weight loss. All research confirms that exercise is almost worthless for weight loss. The diet is the key. This will help to explain: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/exercise-is-dangerous-for-your-diet/

Good Luck!

I couldn’t agree more, but just trying to distinguish between what is classified as light or moderate exercise so l can work out my daily calorie needs. Surely a person who runs 3xper week has a higher calorie need than a person who sits at a desk all day everyday. i know from first hand experience that exercise doesn’t impact weight loss and can actually hinder it. Many years ago, l used to run about 6km per day, 7 days per week, and then one day l got sick of all this running and cut it back to 2 days per week and even though l always ate healthy, I was more conscious of my eating when l exercised less, and ended up much slimmer than ever. At the moment l don’t enjoy my hard runs at all, I would love to give them up, and just walk for longer, but am concerned l will gain weight, and l would have to eat much less, which maybe wouldn’t be sustainable for me. I am always hungry now, and l just feel like l never get enough food. I eat about 8,000kj per day with 2 fasts day each week and am always hungry. Imagine if l have to cut back, l wouldn’t be able to maintain my weight. So if l just walk for an hour instead of my sprints, and ate the way l do, if l would gain.

Hi Shezian:

I’m afraid that your concerns go much more deeply than simply calculating your TDEE for weight loss purposes.

From a weight loss point of view, the less you eat, the more you lose. If you are starting a diet and want to lose weight, it is better to calculate your TDEE at a lower, rather than higher, ‘exercise level’ number. To do that, you calculate based on the lowest activity level possible. That will give you a TDEE ‘goal’ that will probably yield a reasonable weight loss.

The issue is not how much you exercise, but how much you eat.

So exercise as much as you want, in any way you want, knowing it has nothing to do with weight loss. Make sure you eat 500 cal. or less on your two diet days, and eat to your ‘lower’ TDEE on your five non diet days, and you will lose weight. All without sacrificing your ‘workout’.

Good Luck!

I am maintance now, so as l believe l am in between light to moderately active I have done my calculations somewhere between the two and will see how l go. I definitely will not put sedentary for maintance but for weight loss l did put sedentary and that’s how l lost weight. But now that l am maintaining l would think l need to change the activity level. Does this sound right?

Lastly are you saying that if my diet stayed exactly the same but sat all day everyday, that l wouldn’t gain weight?

Hi Shezian:

Here is my recommendation.

Compute your TDEE any way you want. Do your exercise any way you want. Eat whatever you want any time you want.

After one to two months, reevaluate. If you are happy with your results, great. If you are not, change what you are doing to hopefully something better.

You cannot ‘compute’ the right thing to do. At best, your computations are guesstimates. You need to do something, and adjust if necessary.

Good Luck!

Most of the energy one expends is done by the brain. If you could get your brain to work harder – that would be something. It’s not the case though, that all smart people are thin 🙁

Hi Shezian,
    Running is a vigorous exercise. Swimming, walking is moderate exercise. You should do exercise according to your age and body condition.

The right kind of exercise does play a very important role in fat loss and metabolism over time. If you just reduce calories your will lose fat and muscle tissue. If you do resistance training and reduce calories you will lose less muscle and more fat preserving your metabolism. It is possible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
    Over the last year my scale weight stayed the same ~175 lbs. I lost ~20 lbs of fat and gained ~20 lbs of muscle measured by DEXA. My resting metabolic rate as measured by gas exchange went up 21%. So I have to eat 21% more calories just to stay alive!

The amount of muscle on your body, and the number of healthy mitochondria is the only variable you can change to affect your metabolism.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.