Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,101 through 4,150 (of 5,077 total)

• Good Morning!

I have to get it in my head that this is Tuesday…it seems like Monday thanks to the holiday yesterday. Short week! Yeah!

I ate WAY too much all weekend and am feeling quite tubby this morning. I have a roll around my waist that has got to go. I’ll be doing a FD today and Thursday.

I had a busy weekend with the 5k on Saturday and then I played golf Sunday & Monday. Hard to believe that our golf season is almost over. I’m hoping for a nice Fall with decent temperatures so we can play for a couple more months.

Time to head to boot camp and get back into the workout groove. Have a good day everyone!

Hi Alimay! Welcome here!
    Hopefully you will find 5:2 is just the thing for you.
    The best thing is that you can make it a sustainable habit that fits in with your life. A light fast two days a week is so doable!

Have you decided when your first day will be? If it was today, let us know how it went!

Tilly cheers for your back to back days. Wow! I keep mine as far apart from each other as I can! But I bet you will feel great when you wake up in the morning!

Salma, sending good wishes, I know those busy travelling months are really taxing. I hope you can find some good ways to really look after yourself.
    Keep on keeping on!

I’m fasting tomorrow! My sister is here and will be taking me, my daughter, and my granddaughter out to breakfast, so I think I will have two coffees!
    But it is Tuesday evening in Melbourne now, and bedtime. Goodnight!

Welcome, new ladies!!! Good luck with your first fast days!

Welcome back, Tilly, and congrats on no weight gain.

I have just a minute so I won’t reply to everyone. I ate WAY too much over the holiday weekend–in addition to the festival, we had a start of football season party, we went to my inlaws on the lake and we had friends over to grill out. I’m fasting today trying to stop the pattern!!!!!

Me again! I was really happy with my fast day yesterday. You know how some are kind of effortless? This was one of those. Yippee!! Wish they all were like that. Part of it was because I was distracted trying to nail down this newsletter problem. I’m trying to completely take on the newsletter duties for our company. I’ve been doing the content and formatted it in Word but now I’m trying to format it in their all-in-one program that also sends it out. It’s called Netsuite and it may be great for some things but it’s really wonky for this!!!! It’s driving me nuts!! But it kept me from thinking about food.

Unfortunately, the end of summer has me up about four pounds from the low I hit before our trip. Grrr. But I was thinking that before I would not recover from that and keep inching up instead of resetting everything and starting a new track. So I’m still happy not to be getting fatter, haha! Also, the fitbit is keeping me mindful of being active.

Good luck everyone!

Hi all and welcome to Alimay. We’re here to help Alimay!

Cinque, how was your breakfast with the family? Did I read correctly that you just had two coffees because you were fasting? You are strong!

Carolina, YAY for an effortless fast day! I love when that happens…not often mind you for me, but it does happen! I especially love the “inadvertent” fast days where you didn’t plan on fasting, but the day just gets ahead of you and you don’t end up eating much, so you call it a fast day! Yes, like Salma said, at least you’re getting back on track instead of continuing to go up. That’s always been my problem in the past so I’m also happy to have this easy plan of turning things around quickly before they get worse!

I got my tough pilates workout done yesterday as well as all the grocery shopping. Today, I finished my walk and I’m going to get a bunch of advance meal prep done before I have to pick up the kids and take them to the doc for their flu shots. My one twin has a weird, reddish raised spot on her calf that I want the doc to look at again too. He froze it once and it came back. A mom at the school is a dermatologist and said it didn’t look bad but the fact it came back worries me. I’m going to ask for a pediatric dermatologist referral just to be safe.

I’m still holding at 117.2 and am amazed and happy at that! Thinking I’ll fast tomorrow and maybe Sunday since my nephew’s wedding is Saturday and I’ll want to take care of any excess food I ate that day!

Have a wonderful day ladies!

Good Afternoon!

Soon time to go home! YAY! Well…….2 more hours, but it should pass quickly.

My FD yesterday was not a great one. I think I had more like 1,000 calories till all was said and done. I had a very strenuous boot camp yesterday morning with lots of weight work, so I think that made me extra hungry. The extra that I ate was protein, so I don’t feel too guilty. 😉

Took the day off exercise today as I am very sore from yesterday. I’ll be back at it tomorrow, plus it’s a FD again!

Sherry…you are wise to have that mole checked. Can’t be too careful. I’m going to a Derm for a full body check in a couple weeks. Just a screening, no specific worrisome spots.

We’re going out for dinner tonight. Chinese. I’m planning to have Shrimp w/broccoli…no rice. DH likes sweet & sour chicken, plus I’ll force some of my broccoli on him. 😉

Hope everyone has had a good day so far.

Hello everyone,

After a long time sort-of-off the 5:2 (but using other methods), I had a good FD today. It is so nice to be back in the swing of things with proper fast days and no gimmicks. So, it is back to a slowwwwwww weight loss, but as we always say, hopefully the weight going in the right direction.

I also had a cardio workout to day and feel semi-human after all the dreadful eating while traveling.

Hope everyone is doing great.
    Salma

Hello Everyone,

Salma, congratulations on a good fast day! Slow and steady wins the race!

Cheers to everyone with their pilates and cardio and workouts!

I had such a lovely breakfast with my sister yesterday (and d and gd). It was very easy to just have coffee. Great coffee! And I had two!
    And a good rest of the fast day too, ty. (Not quite effortless though! Kudos to you Carolina!)

It is Thursday morning and I am picking up my granddaughter in a couple of hours and looking after her until tomorrow evening, while my daughter heads up to Benalla, a few hours north, the only place she could book in a driving test this week, which will be first thing on Friday morning (in torrential rain judging by the forecast!). So that will keep me busy!

Hopefully she will come back with her license and the era of me needing to taxi drive her everywhere will be over. Cross your fingers for us please!

Best wishes! And good luck to everyone fasting today!

Happy early morning my friends!

Getting ready to go to the “stretchier” pilates session and then head over to drop off some healthy goodies I made for my hairdresser who can’t work because she broker her ankle falling down some stairs. Poor woman!

Today I’m fasting. I need it too~ too much sampling again while making the above goodies! I’m just having so much fun trying out new baking recipes now. I didn’t bake that much when I had more weight to lose for fear it would send me too off the rails. I am making healthier baked goods though now. Also, being close to goal and more in control (in the old days I wouldn’t have just “sampled”, it would have been a full blown pig out) than in the past is giving me the confidence to be able to do it. Like you say, Cinque, it’s a learning process with this eating!

Yesterday, took the kids for their flu shots and got that referral to a dermatologist for my daughter’s weird mole. They offered me the flu shot too so I’ve at least got that out of the way!

Lori, how was your Chinese dinner out? Did you get your DH to eat his broccoli? 😉

Good job Salma at getting back into the swing of things.

Cinque, fingers crossed for your daughter’s driving test so that you can end your gig as the family taxi driver!

Carolina, how’s today going? Are you fitbitting away the miles?

Hi to everyone else and good luck to all of us fasting today! Let’s be STRONG! 🙂

Sherry

Hi- my name is Sheila and I’m also in my mid fifties. I’ve successfully done weight watchers (on-line) when I was an “at home” mom. But now I work and travel for work and I’m also at my heaviest (non pregnant) weight…158 lbs. Worse yet, my energy is at the lowest it’s been since I can remember. I need to do something about it, so here I am. Full of hope that this will help.

Happy Thursday!

Yes Sherry, I got DH to eat some broccoli! It was delish and crispy…just the way I like it. Speaking of veggies, I got a spaghetti squash in my farm share box this week. I’m going to roast that bad boy up and have “spaghetti” this weekend! Woohoo! Tonight I’m going to try sauteing some kale that was in my box this week too. I’m saving some FD calories for a touch of olive oil to saute the kale. Not sure if I’ll like it or not, but I’ll give it a try.

As I mentioned, today is a FD. I’m ingesting my first calories of the day right now(Noon). I’m having the protein shake(130 calories) that I usually have right after boot camp. I was so busy this morning that I didn’t even get hungry till a few minutes ago. I’m hoping this shake sustains me until dinner around 5:30. Tough boot camp again this morning, so I may get hungry early this afternoon. We’ll see.

Off to the chiro for my 6 week adjustment this afternoon. I have a feeling some things may be out of alignment after flying off the end of the inflatables during that crazy 5k on Saturday! LOL!

Hope all is well with everyone……..tomorrow is Friday!! YAY!

Hello!!

Fast day again today and so far so good. I’m also doing fairly well with the fitbit although the party on Saturday and going to my inlaws on Sunday messed me up on those days. Overall, I’m pleased.

Welcome, Simeagher! Hope your first fast day goes well!

Lori and Salma, congrats on getting back in the groove.

Cinque, good luck to your daughter. That is a big step for her I’m sure.

Sherryann, I know you’re happy to be maintaining your weight. I hope I get there one day.

Tomorrow we’re going out to eat and then to a play. I haven’t done that in ages!

FD for me also today (two days in a row).. I am STARVING, but going to bed soon to ward off temptations of any kind. I just came back from my book club group, where there was a lot of yummy stuff, as there usually is and wine.. but I stuck to my sparkling water like a drowning man to a piece of floating wood. Tomorrow’s breakfast is all I can think of at the moment. I hope the scales appreciate the effort I am putting in here!

Good night lovely ladies,
    Salma

Welcome here Slmeagher!
    How did you arrive at 5:2? Much easier than WW (in my humble opinion!).
    Have you had your first fast day?
    My tip, make it as easy as possible. Hopefully you will be one of the people who find fasting on work days really easy!
    I saw your profile, are all the kids still at home? Fingers crossed that doesn’t make it too hard!

SALMA! Sparkling water only at the book club feast!!!!!! You DID it! You just won GOLD at the 5:2 Olympics!

Carolina, hooray for a good fast day, with the inlaws well away!

Lori, those veggies sound wonderful! I hope your protein shake sustains you, and that your chiro adjustment does the trick!

Sherry nice to know you are all flu vaccined up!
    What a lovely thing to bake for your hairdresser, and cheers for the new headspace you are in.
    Of course you had to have little tastes!

Rose’s driving test is in one hour. Thanks for those crossed fingers!
    Granddaughter is playing Peppa Pig games on my ipad, and I am about to have my coffee!

Cheers everyone!

Hi Shelia

Welcome. Read your post which made me smile as we have so much in common. I started on 5:2 a few weeks ago when I was at my heaviest at 158lbs too. I also had little energy. Tried weight watchers but got fed up with having to work out points and feeling deprived. My doctor encouraged me to start exercising again, however little and I do find the more I do the better I feel. I am losing about 2lbs a week at the moment and that is a result of also eating healthily on non fast days. Have you done your first fast.? How did it go?

Sheila, I just saw that we are the same age and have children sort of the same age–my son is 20 but will be 21 in November and my daughter is 12 and will be 13 later in November! My son is in college but when he comes home I want to have lots of food and my daughter has snacks so that makes it hard!

Salma, don’t despair if the scales play a trick on you! It will show up!!! I had a nasty trick this morning after my second FD this week and the scale was up. Fortunately this is not my first rodeo so I know the tricks!

Cinque, how did the test go?

Africa, two pounds a week is AMAZING. I am beyond jealous.

We are off to get dinner and then the play. Hope I don’t do anything stupid! Have a great weekend, all.

Hello everyone,
    It was bad luck with the driving test, in spite of all the crossed fingers. She didn’t do head turning checks enough. We are all tired after the big day, but she is wondering if she can squeeze another go in before her baby is due (in two weeks!) We’ll see.

Fast day for me today. I am starting with herbal tea.

Cheers everyone.

Hi girls,

Ugh! I was in the midst of typing on here and left too long to do something else, and it all it vanished! 🙁 So here we go again!

Today started well enough… the kids had a chapel where they sang patriotic songs in honor of the anniversary of 9-11 this weekend. So, my hubby and I decided to make a date day out of the rest of the day and went for a long walk by the beach and then out for lunch. We then got a call from a manager at one of our offices telling us that another employee in a supervisory role did something fraudulent. We were on the phone the rest of the day with our HR company and their lawyers as well as the employees in our office. When all was said and done, we had to terminate this employee who, heretofore, we loved and trusted implicitly. Even my kids were sad to hear the news because they liked this woman so much! So very sad! I know many of you here who own businesses or are managers have probably had to deal with similar stuff, but it just hurts when you feel “duped” by someone you trusted so much!

I fasted yesterday, but had to run out of the house so early for the kids’ chapel performance that I didn’t have time to weigh this morning. I didn’t feel especially “light” so I’m wondering if I even lost anything? My eating has been pretty good today on my NFD so we will see what tomorrow brings.

Hi to our newest member, Sheila. I’m a mom too, (obviously)…9 year old twin girls, 10 year old boy, and 15 year old daughter. Like Carolina said, having kids around brings a whole other dynamic to the weight loss game…there’s always snacks around to tempt you! I, like you (and many here), have done the whole weight watchers thing more times than I can count on my fingers (and toes!) and never have been super successful on it. I think you’ll find this way of life much more do-able and pleasant. IMO, I think when you have to obsess over how many points every morsel you put in your mouth is, it makes you even more food crazy! Best of luck! 🙂

Salma, hope you were able to pull of the back to back fasts successfully!

Carolina, did you do well at your dinner out? Were you “smart”? 😉

Cinque, such a bummer about your daughter’s driving test! If it’s any consolation to her, I took mine twice before I passed. I think it was parallel parking that did me in! I’m sure second time will be a charm. And oh my goodness, I didn’t realize she was that far along and the baby was due so soon! Seems like yesterday you were telling us that she was pregnant! Is Josie excited for the new baby?

Time to clean up the dinner mess. Good night ladies!

Susan, great to see you here again! So wonderful that you’re losing 2lbs a week! Bravo!

Good Morning!

Up at my normal super early time this morning. My friend and I are going to a different golf course today, so we have about an hour drive to get there. It’ll be nice to play somewhere different.

Sherry…sorry about your work issues. That would be a slap in the face to have a trusted employee turn out not to be the person you thought you knew. The joys of owning a business, huh?

Cinque…so sorry about your daughter’s driving test. Hope the 2nd time works out better. 2 weeks till a new baby?? WOW! Exciting times in your near future. Best wishes all around.

Welcome to the new people here. You will love our little group.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Hello!

The play was great (Anne Frank) and I did pretty well at dinner–I had a tapas plate of crab cakes and a spinach salad. I snacked a little when we got home but not too bad. My fitbit has been giving me lots of positive motivation. Now not to do anything stupid today or tomorrow!!

Cinque, so sorry about the driving test. I am another one who had to try two times so tell her not to get discouraged. It must be intimidating to be doing this as an adult.

Lori, I’m amazed how early you rise on the weekend!! Have fun playing a new course.

Sherry, we are business owners although my husband had a corporate/technical career prior to this. The HR stuff is the most difficult. We recently had to go through the first termination and I don’t feel it was handled well. The operations manager did it and I don’t feel the employee had enough feedback/warning that she wasn’t doing satisfactory work. The hard part was that she was very sweet and never missed–it was simply that she had no common sense or critical thinking skills so she couldn’t really do everything they needed her to do. Meanwhile we have others who are very problematic but they’ve been there for years and know the job and have skills. What you describe would absolutely gut me but I know that people are capable of almost anything under the right circumstances. My idealism is long gone, haha! Anyway, I’m thinking of you. I hope you caught it in time!

Better run! Have a great rest of the weekend!!

Hi all,

A quick hello before I head out to my nephew’s wedding in a park by the beach today. I gained a pound as of this morning. Not surprising since I didn’t feel especially light yesterday and then went out for Mexican food including a bowl of salty tortilla chips! Hoping I don’t compound things with too much food at the wedding! Oh well, tomorrow I’m doing a fast.

Carolina, kudos at doing so well at your dinner out. Glad the play was great~ such a sad subject matter though! When we were back east for my daughter’s eight grade government trip 1 1/2 years ago and viewed the holocaust museum with that giant room filled with the shoes of people who were killed in the holocaust it just haunts you. Yes, feeling “gutted” is a good adjective to describe how I reacted to that employee’s actions. Still unbelievable. And today we had to make a million calls to track down where she left a company vehicle of ours as well!

Lori, hope the hour’s drive is worth it and you have an excellent golf day!

Ok, I’m off! Cross your fingers for me that I keep it in check at the wedding! 😉

Carolina, that sounds a lovely evening out!
    I always fancy snacking when I get home after going out. I thought I was the only one.
    It makes me think I am better off not eating out, since I am going to want to eat something when I get home anyway.

Thanks everyone, to those kind wishes to my daughter. She is fairly philosophical because she doesn’t know anyone who got their license first time (except for me, but that doesn’t count because it was the olden days! 😉 )

Yes only two weeks to her due date! But we are a family that tends to go over, so I am thinking it might be three weeks.
    Josie adores her mum’s big belly and kisses the baby through it, but Oh dear what a life changing experience it will be for her!

Sherry I feel so sorry about that employee, the shock and the feeling of being duped, and all the fixing up that has to be done. Something similar happened with an organisation I was involved with years ago. It was really sad, the worker had a problem, I can’t remember if it was gambling, or whether what she was doing was a kind of gambling as accounting fraud, it was a terrible secret she could almost keep from herself as well as from her fellow staff. Being found out thrust it into reality and it was dreadful for her, as well as everyone else, but it gave her a chance to look at her life and do something. It makes any further employment a problem though!

I hope you can have a good time at the wedding.

Lori enjoy the golf course!

I am heading over to my daughter’s where we will cook lasagne to have ready for post baby meals.

i had a good fast day yesterday, and managed no coffee (which I like to do but it has been theory rather than practice!). Enjoying a morning coffee right now!

Hello ladies,

Sherry…I am so sorry about the problems at work.. there is nothing worse than discovering that someone you trusted was not worth the trust you invested in them. I feel bad for you, especially as I am having to do the opposite which is letting loyal people go because of financial issues.

Cinque…sorry about your daughter’s driving test, but I am sure it will be fine next time round. How exciting about the baby! Do we have names yet?

Sheila.. welcome to our little group. You will find that we hold each other up lest we fall!

CC.. I have a shine (similar to fitbit) but it is dying slowly. Are you happy with your fitbit?I know it is very motivating.. I had a small snap on fitbit but have lost it and thought the shine was better, especially as it logs sleep patterns as well.

Lori.. I don’t, for the life of me, know how you can do early mornings on weekends. I relish being able to sleep in. I know that waking up early allows you to get so much more done, but I am just not a morning person!

I managed the back to back fast okay.. my weight is beginning to inch down again, but I am still at the 81 Kg mark. I am hoping that I will be under 80 Kg by the end of the month. The challenge, however, is two big trips coming up in September. I have a regional trip this week and I travel to North America the week after for 10 days. I will be staying for only 2 days in each location, so there are 5 separate internal flights during the 10 days. Not fun!!! and, more importantly, dreadful for sticking to a reasonable eating pattern.

Wish me luck!

Salma

Happy Sunday girls!

Well, there was a fairly healthy taco bar at the wedding so I did pretty good with regard to dinner. It was the dessert “pizzookie” that did me in! It’s a dessert that consists of a chocolate chip cookie made to look like a small pizza filled with ice cream! They’re made by a local restaurant and it’s one of their claims to fame. I couldn’t resist! 🙁 I am NOT getting on the scale for a while! Alas, today is another day and a fast day at that so here we go again!

Cinque, glad you were able to enjoy a good cup of coffee after abstaining the day prior! How did the lasagna making go? Did you make a pan for eating today too? Yum! It’s nice how you two are always preparing in advance!

Salma, great job doing the back to back fasts! I’m wondering what you might be able to do to help keep eating in check on these frequent trips you take because they really seem to impact you. Is there anything healthy you can bring with you to eat or research in advance where there are healthy restaurants to eat at? Is it mostly work related dinners out that get you? Just trying to help brainstorm ideas! Anyhow, wishing you luck that you figure out how to incorporate something into your busy lifestyle that will work for you! 🙂

Today my mom and her husband are coming over to watch part of a football game with my hubby. Actually my mom (and possibly a sister) will be coming over to look at the clothes I’m getting rid of before I donate them. They like shopping in my closet! I have a very small walk-in closet that I just couldn’t function with any longer. I had to get rid of the things I don’t wear often enough to justify them taking up space! At least I’m organizing a bit, right!

Thank you again for all your nice words regarding the terrible employee issue. We did receive a nice resume already, as we need a replacement ASAP and posted a job listing yesterday, so that makes me hopeful!

Let’s have a successful week ahead of us ladies!

Hi Everyone!

Well, the exterminator came and said he could find no evidence of bed bugs or fleas. What a relief. He did find lots of spiders, so thought it might be them biting us. Just getting him here seemed to do a bit of magic and scare the critters away. I’ve only gotten one bite since. Go figure.

I had two good fast days this week. Salma, you give me the courage to try another today, which would be back to back. Don’t know if I’ll make it, but so far I’ve only had an egg and a half cup of cottage cheese, so I’m still in the ballpark.

Lori, saw your after race picture on Facebook. Wish I were that athletic. Susan, two pounds a week is fantastic! Cinque, I failed my driving test the first time too. I completely forgot to use my turn indicators as I carefully drove around their little course. Salma, five flights in ten days! That’s a real endurance test.

Sherry, we all need some treats from time to time. Was the cookie thing was good as it sounds? If so, good for you for treating yourself.

Today I must process a bunch of tomatoes that are threatening to go away. I’ll be making a big pot of Bolognese sauce. Might make fasting a bit of a challenge. . .

MM

Glad you are relatively pest free Minn! I hope the spiders go away.

Have a lovely clothes clean out Sherry!

Salma, your letting staff go was a lot harder than I realised, I thought you were able to lose the people who were making your job hard. Sigh.

I’m in the middle of FOUR non fast days! Good grief. Lots of opportunity to practice not eating after my evening meal!

best wishes all

Blerg! Scales were not kind this morning!!! I’m trying to figure if it’s just a normal slip-up that a couple of good weeks will take care of OR if increasing the beta blocker for migraines is causing it. I am getting more exercise too…

MM, so glad you don’t have bed bugs! That would be a nightmare!!!

Cinque, Hope your time with your daughter went well. It sounds as if you have a great relationship.

Salma, I don’t envy you the travel!! That is difficult with such quick turnarounds! I don’t envy the terminations either. I’m hopeful we won’t have any more.

Sherry, I don’t think I’ve ever been to a wedding with a taco bar. Sounds like fun though!

So today is fast day and I’m hoping to make the scale start a turnaround…..

Monday…….blah!

Soon I won’t care if it’s Monday or what day! 😉

I had a fun weekend on the golf course. My play was not good, but lots of laughs and fun. As it always goes, too much food & drink went along with the golf. Ah well….this too shall pass. LOL!

I’m having a FD today and have all my food planned and hope to not deviate from said plan. I’m having a hard-boiled egg & a stick of colby cheese along with a cup of broth right now. Dinner will feature a piece of baked cod along with some sort of veg.

Don’t be too amazed at how early I get up girls. Keep in mind that I often go to bed before 9PM! Early to bed, early to rise you know! I am a morning person and can get more done by 8AM than I ever could in the evening. Luckily, my husband is the same way, or there could be fights breaking out over noise in the early morning! LOL!

MM…glad you got a relatively bug-free report. I wouldn’t say spiders are any bargain, but better than the alternative. Hope the guy sprayed for those creepy crawlies.

Cinque…so exciting to have a baby coming soon! You are right, Granddaughter will have a period of adjustment after being used to having all the focus on her. Hope all goes smoothly.

Sherry…sounds like you had fun at the wedding this weekend. A taco bar sounds just the thing.

Salma…Oh my…..those trips you have coming up sound exhausting! You won’t know if you’re coming or going! Do your best with your eating…it will all work itself out.

Off to finish my lunch. Have a wonderful day/evening!

Hi all,

Uneventful day here. Walk is done and now time to get household tasks done. Fast went Ok yesterday but I’m still not weighing in for a while.

MM, did the Bolognese sauce turn out well? I like to make big batches of that and stick it in the freezer for another day.

Cinque, good luck with the 4 NFD’s in a row!

Carolina, so sorry the scale is not behaving! Could the beta blockers be a cause of weight gain? So many possible side effects with all these medications out there!

Lori, I wish I was an early riser like you. I used to be more in the past but now my poor hubby and I have reversed and I seem to stay up late and get up later whereas he’s the one who likes to get up between 4:30-5 am. I tend to get more done at night when the kids are asleep and him in the morning before they get up.

I have to get going finalizing my airline travel for this Fall and Winter to Hawaii. I’m going on my own to Hawaii in October. No friends or mom planned to join me this time. Might be lonely, might be nice just to have all that time to myself. We will see! I do have a few nice ladies out there I could go out to eat with, etc. so it might not be that bad.

We’ve been on the hunt for a dining table for our Hawaii condo. I want something in glass with an ocean blue swirl design and maybe a natural tree root base. A company out of Canada makes the glass and there are local guys in Hawaii who make the tree root bases. It is of course much more that I want to spend but it would be a major focal point as you enter the condo and set the “beachy” tone. Plus there’s the added bonus that my kids probably couldn’t destroy a thick glass table top (should I knock on some wood?!).

Happy Monday everyone!

Good morning,
    Cheers to you all.
    I am quite enjoying my four non fast days. But I have just remembered I promised my daughter to do more cooking with her next Sunday and to have lunch too, so maybe I had better go Wednesday and Saturday again this week.

I do have a good relationship with my daughter (now those teenage years are in the past!) 🙂

Carolina, maybe the weight fluctuation is water? I gather it usually is, from this article from our science organisation: https://www.totalwellbeingdiet.com/community/blog/are-your-weighing-scales-telling-the-truth/#vyALqoLzIqhxLz3s.97

Lori, before I became ill I was very much a lark, although more like 6am than 4am! I remember that great feeling of morning energy!

Sherry that table sounds glorious! How long will your October Hawaiian retreat be? I hope you will find wonderful things to fill it up, once you have had your fill of peace and quiet!

Best wishes for a good day!

Hello Girls,

So much going on here.. glad to see everyone is so active.

CC.. sometimes when yo exercise this causes water retention and the scales become annoying. I am sure it will all readjust.

I had a terrible eating day yesterday and got on the scales this morning ready to face dire results, only to find that I am down to 80.4 Kg! I have not been this weight for 3 years. Go figure. This is a good incentive to stick to a reasonable eating plan during my travel and to try not to gain. Touch wood.

On the subject of touching wood, Sherry.. you are a brave heart… a GLASS table? It sounds lovely though, but keep touching that wood as you pass by 🙂

Lori.. I keep telling myself that I should rise earlier so I can get more done, but alas, I am an evening person. I know that if only I could get up at 5, I would do amazing things.. at least, that is my excuse!

Cinque.. I hope that you are not wearing yourself out.. I hope you are as kind to yourself as you seem to be to all those around you.

MM.. what a relief about the bug situation! I have one of those mattresses that has a kind of an outlet where you can spray some bug-preventing stuff in every few months… I think I will go do that right now!

Have a great day everyone.. tomorrow, my travel begins.. Deep breath.

Salma

Good Morning!

Just in from a breakfast meeting. Happy that it occurred on a NFD! I managed to stay pretty low carb just having an omelet and a side of bacon. No toast or muffins please! I had a bit of pancake envy while watching some of my coworkers downing a stack with twin berry syrup…..drool……. 😉

Should be a very quiet day for me. I’m hoping to get an appointment to get my hair cut/colored this afternoon. I’ll just take a couple hours of vacation and leave early if I can get in. If not today, maybe tomorrow or Thursday. I have 28 hours of vacation to either take or get paid for by October 7.

Salma…congrats on the low number! Woohoo!!! I, too, saw my low on the scale this morning. Now to get to a NEW low. Onward we go.

Hugs to all!

Hello girls!

A quick drop in before I head out to pilates at 9.

Cinque, I will be in Hawaii for a couple of weeks in mid October. Hoping it works out to be a nice peaceful time for me!

Salma, go figure with re: to the unexpected weight loss, huh?! How wonderful though! Like you said, just the momentum you need to stick with it before your travels. I hope to hear a good report from you of how you stuck to healthy eating while gone…I’m challenging you! 😉 Btw, the table will be thick with no sharp edges so hopefully that will alleviate half the potential problems of having a glass dining table!

Lori, here’s hoping you get that appointment. I know when I need my hair done it’s like, get me in NOW! How nice you will be leaving the job with some extra vacation pay in your pocket to enjoy in your lovely retirement!

Ok, off to get ready! Love you guys! 🙂

Good Morning!

Just getting in under the wire as it is nearly Noon already! Where is this day going?

Sherry…..your trip to Hawaii sounds like a little slice of heaven! I may show up on your doorstep! 😉

I was successful in securing an appointment yesterday for a hair cut/color…feel much better! Didn’t I just feel like the proper Princess yesterday afternoon being pampered and having a glass of wine at 2 in the afternoon! Love my salon! I’ll be back there after work today for a pedicure and yet another glass of their wine!

Happy to report that I saw a number on the scale this morning that I haven’t seen for probably 25+ years! Woohoo! Would still like to lose another 12 lbs, but not stressing about it. I’ll just keep on doing what I do and see what happens. I know our travels this Fall will put some weight back on, but I’ll deal with it when I’m back home and in a routine.

Cinque…any baby news to report?? We cyber Aunties are anxious to hear! ((Hugs))

Have a great day/evening everyone!

Hi!

It’s late morning here. I know what you mean Lori, where does the day go?

So late afternoon yesterday I was heading back after grocery shopping and picking the kids up and my mom calls to say that my 43 year old brother was just taken to the emergency room in incredible pain and throwing up blood and bile! I rushed home, unloaded the freezer items I’d bought and raced over. I had to cancel on attending our company dinner meeting that night. Apparently his upper intestine has a kink in it, causing a blockage. They’re trying to flush it out from his nose and see what happens, hoping it unblocks and clears on its own and that the intestine un-kinks itself as a result. If not, they’ll be doing surgery in two days to repair it. Luckily one of my good friends from high school is a head nurse there and I’ve been getting the inside scoop from her whenever my family is confused as to what’s happening (which happens a lot!) and she’s sending the best nurse that is doing rounds today there to check on him too since she herself is out today. So, please keep him in your prayers. The craziness never ends when you have a large extended family as I do. It’s always something!

On the weight front, I finally got on the scale. Not so bad…118.2. Where I was last Saturday before the “pizzookie” eating episode! So now I have to try to wiggle back down to the 117’s where I was trying so desperately to maintain a week ago. I know I’ll get there. Just frustrating. When my hubby is in Hawaii working soon, I will do my 4 day cleanse which I’m committing to doing once a month just to clean everything out and do a body re-set. Hoping this will get me to my goal of 115, after which will be the hardest part- maintaining it! Tomorrow I’m scheduling in a fast and hoping to creep back down to the 117’s.

Lori, Yay for “Pretty Princess Pampering Days”! 😉 Apparently I’m going to the wrong salon! We get no wine there! I’m guessing that’s why you had a pleasant surprise on the scale this morning- you had alcohol! 😉 Congrats on that new lowest in 25 years number! That’s what I’d experienced too a short while ago and it just feels so amazing, doesn’t it? So happy for you and proud of you! And, yes, I think you should meet me in Hawaii one of these days since you will be retired soon! I know you have a lot of other trips planned fairly soon after you retire, correct? I will be returning there in March or April if you want to hop on board and join me?

Yes, Cinque, we are all the virtual aunties out here waiting for the good news! Did your daughter get to repeat the driving test yet? Any new news on your son-in-law’s health issue?

Hi to all our other lovely ladies! Have an awesome day! 🙂

Sherry…so sorry to hear about your brother! I sure hope they can get things corrected without surgery. We just never know, do we?

I’d love to join you in Hawaii sometime, but not sure I’d be able to sneak away without the husband. He has no problem with me doing girl trips, but Hawaii may be a stretch! I could make him promise not to bother us! LOL!

Keep us posted on news of your brother. ((Hugs))

best thoughts winging their way around the world to your brother, Sherry. I do hope he manages to unkink himself. What a fright.

What lovely virtual aunties you are. My daughter is hoping every possible symptom might be labour starting, but I am more patient, knowing that babies in our family tend to wait for our due dates and a few days more. But I will let you know as soon as there is anything to tell!

I’m getting my hair cut today. No wine, just as well, I’ve got a meeting this afternoon.

It is morning after fast day here, always a lovely feeling.

Lori, cheers for that lowest number! Very happy making!
    Sherry I am sure you will see yours again soon!

Off to a busy day! Best wishes all!

Sherry.. I hope your brother gets better very soon.. what a worry!
    Lori. Congrats on the number.. I actually had a very pleasant surprise at the dietician’s today. Her machine showed 80Kgs!!!!! Finally. THAT number…yaayy. This gives me the oumph to try harder.

Best to all,
    Salma

Wow–everyone’s very active on here this week!!

Sherry, I hope your brother gets better soon. That sounds pretty terrifying.

Salma and Lori, congrats on those lows! WOOT!!! WOOT!!!

Cinque, keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter.

FD again today. I’m still figuring out the fall schedule. Unfortunately Monday and Thursday are my favorite fast days and those are my daughter’s activity free days. Eating together trumps FDs so I’ll change to Monday and Wednesday, I think, and try to eat something with them on Monday. I should do Tuesday and Friday but I’m afraid too many things would pop up on Friday evening.

The scales were down for me, too! Not record territory but at least going in the right direction. I was starting to get worried!

Better run my daughter to dance. CBL

Me again! Thankfully the scale was a little better again today. I just had lunch and need to not eat anything until dinner! This weekend I have two challenges–my cousins will be here tomorrow/Saturday morning and then Saturday evening I have a supper club. Lots of things to trip me up!!!

Beautiful day here. Unfortunately our neighbor has been felling giant trees all week. I hate it! Of course we essentially live in a treehouse so they probably wish we’d follow their example.

Have a good day!

Hi!

Where is everyone today? Hi Carolina,nice to see you here! Congrats on the number on the scale. Use that good feeling to fuel your choices this weekend and hopefully all will work out ok!

Thanks all for your good thoughts for my brother.

Cinque, how was your hair cut? How’s your daughter?

Congrats on finally reaching your magic number, Salma. You were determined and you did it!

I’m trying to have a fast day over here, but have been nibbling randomly. Not much mind you, a piece of dried pineapple here, a few nuts there, but I’m sure it’s adding up and I’m not really counting! I think it will still be around 500 cal when all is said and done (fingers crossed!).

Just visited my brother who still had the kink in his intestine when last they checked (they will check again around 2am tomorrow), but he was able to have a a bowel movement today. They seemed to be happy about that but said that doesn’t necessarily mean the kink or the blockage is gone. We have to wait for the xray to know for sure.

We’re going to an outdoor musical of the “Adams Family” (cue the snapping fingers!) tonight. I’m going to stop and get food at my local healthy Mexican place to bring with us. That should keep me in line. We were told by friends that the show is very funny/good, but that it was freezing there last night so I’m wearing lots of layers and bringing lots of blankets!

I have to get prepared! Bye!

Good Friday morning!

Yes, another Friday has arrived! YAY! It has been a long week. Only a few more to go now.

Sherry….how was the musical? It sounds like great fun! Also your Mexican food sounds awesome!

I had a failed FD yesterday. Just TOO hungry! I was still fairly low calorie, but not near my FD target. Oh well……I will try again Monday. Weekends are much too social to try to schedule a FD.

I’ll be on the golf course this weekend. What will you all be up to?

Hi Selma

I too have a weight problem and am 67 years old! I need to lose 60 lbs. at least since I’m 5’4″ and weight 213 lbs.!

I just began the program this week and am hoping to lose at least some of this weight by my 50 year high school reunion next July.

I used to walk 5 miles a day every day and because of spinal issues am unable to do so. I can only walk short walks – not distance. So that contributes horribly to my weight issue. I do go to the YMCA twice a week for water aerobics but can’t go more often because I work 2 days a week.

I have had spine surgery in 2010 and scheduled for my second in January of 2017. I’ve had both knees replaced and severe arthritis in both feet.

Very depressing

Good morning everyone,
    It is Saturday Fast day for me!

Hi Lovesgoldens! Welcome here. I am not able to exercise due to chronic illness (ME/CFS) and 5:2 still works fabulously! It is hard enough to deal with arthritis and those spinal issues, without carrying around a whole lot of extra weight, my sympathy. I hope you find 5:2 as wonderful as I do! The trick is to make it easy and sustainable I find, and it is easier to do that when you are with a group of friends. Hooray for this forum!

Salma, Woohoo! That 80kg! Celebrations!

Hi Carolina, I hope the tree felling has stopped! So glad the scales are doing the right thing!

Sherry I LOVE the Addams Family, particularly the old series. I hope the concert was fun!

Lori, sorry for the Fast Day Fail. Fingers crossed the next one is a good one. have a great weekend in preparation!

I have had cruelly busy days, but I think I have a quiet day today. I will spend it fasting and looking after myself.

My haircut was fine, but usually I am really happy with it, and this time not so much. I will see how it grows.
    I have been so busy I have not been able to get a proper meal until late, by which time I was so hungry I ate til I was overfull. Hoping I can avoid that in the future, as it would take hard work to sort out how to deal with it. I’m not the kind of person who can miss lunch on a normal day!

But going to bed with such a full belly last night, does make fasting easy today.

Best wishes all of you!

Good eve ladies,

I’m so happy to report that the flushing the hospital did with a tube threaded down my brother’s nose into his gut finally unblocked/un-kinked his bowels! So no surgery! Hallelujah! He gets released tonight. Thanks again for all the good thoughts/prayers sent his way!

I had another visit with the chiro today as my upper left back and lower right back were extra-tweaked more than the usual. As some of you may know, the muscles/tendons run across the back in an “X” pattern so the two areas are almost always inflamed from each other pulling. Oh well, we all have our “stuff”, right? Anyhow, feeling a bit better so we will see.

The Addams family was fun last night. Premise was that the daughter, Wednesday, wanted to marry a “normal” guy and so wanted her family to act like “normal” folks when his parents came to dinner to meet them. Of course you can imagine all the craziness that ensued!

Welcome Lovesgoldens! Best of luck with this plan and getting to your goal by reunion time. You will feel so much better once the lbs start falling off!

Cinque, sorry about the not-up-to-snuff haircut. Sometimes those beauticians are just having an “off” day! Hoping it grows out quickly for you!

Girls, I have a lovely and easy recipe for you that I recently made:

Place crumbled goat cheese and chopped walnuts on a slice of bread and toast. When nicely browned, take out and drizzle with a bit of honey (I used sugar free yacon syrup) and a bit of chopped fresh thyme. I had this with scrambled eggs (with more goat cheese…I love it’s tanginess though I know some of you here are not into it…use a different cheese!). It made a great breakfast!

Ok, off to prep a big salad. We are going to meet up with my mom’s husband’s family who are having a week’s reunion at some condo’s down by the beach and celebrating his birthday tonight. They’re making pasta to feed a crowd. Thought I’d do a salad since I don’t really do gluten/pasta!

Have a good night everyone!

It is Sunday morning in Melbourne, Cold and grey. Where has Spring gone?
    I had a lovely quiet fast day yesterday, and hoping for a lovely quiet day after fast day today!

I’m glad the Addams family was fun! I shared a house with a friend who preferred The Munsters and we had a friendly rivalry about our favourite horror sitcom. But I had to admit she was right when she said the Addams family plot was ALWAYS “Who comes to the Addams Family House today?”
    Ofcourse that is the fun of it.

Such good news about your brother, hooray!
    I hope the chiro worked Sherry. Your breakfast sounds delicious! I am having rava dosa http://www.cookingandme.com/2013/07/rava-dosa-onion-rava-dosa-instant.html

Off to make a coffee! best wishes!

Ahhhh! Cinque, I clicked on your recipe and lost what I’d written when I came back.! Obviously hit the wrong key! What is “rava”? A type of wheat? The recipe looked like a crepe?

Anyhow, I commented that now that I think of it, you are right, the Addams family plot is pretty much the same with different people visiting all the time!
    The chiro did work, for now at least! We will see how long it sticks!

I made a yummy salad to take to last night’s party with arugula, spinach, goat cheese, and toasted walnuts with a home made raspberry vinaigrette (am I the only person who has trouble spelling “vinaigrette”? I’m usually a good speller but I had to go in the kitchen and ask “Alexa” how to spell it!…btw, Alexa is fun, she’s a stand alone unit like Siri on your phone only better if you don’t know what it is!),

I’m having a bit of tummy troubles lately. Likely because I’m doing a cleanse the wellness coach recommended to get rid of any potential parasites on board (we all have them; I know, yuck!). Everything supposedly functions better when these hitchhikers are gone! I did a month of oregano extract and just started a month of grapefruit extract, and then next month will be cats claw. We will see. I think the critters are revolting at my trying to eradicate them! 🙁

Tonight is the daddy daughter dance and dessert at the elementary school. It’s a luau theme. You’d think we’d be prepared for that but I left all their Hawaiian style clothes and flower hair clips in Hawaii, thinking we wouldn’t need them at home in CA! He’s taking them to dinner beforehand. So, I’m taking my son out to see Pete’s Dragon and dinner. Should be good bonding time!

Hope to see more of you here on Sunday!

Hugs to all!

Sherry

Good Morning!

Just sitting here watching the weather forecast and trying to decide if I’m going to play golf or not. There are showers and t-storms hanging around. It looks like we’ll probably be able to play, but may get a bit damp.

Sherry…sounds like Dad & Mom & kids will all have fun with the luau and dinner & movie! Oh…and the salad you described sounds wonderful! So happy that your brother did not have to go thru surgery! Whew!

Cinque….the baby has not arrived? I keep waiting for the announcement! I’m sure your daughter is ready for the big day as well.

I have had 2 VERY hungry days. I just cannot seem to get enough to eat. Everyone keeps telling me that I’m losing more weight, but the scales are only reflecting a pound or 2. One of the old guys at the golf course told me that if I lose any more weight I will have to drink chocolate milk so they can see me?! I did have a bit of trouble keeping my golf shorts up yesterday. Constantly pulling them up! LOL!

At any rate….I will need a good fast day tomorrow after eating too much this weekend. I’m due a good fast day after having the failed one on Thursday.

Speaking of food 😉 I think I’ll whip up an omelet for breakfast. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

It is a whole another week before the baby is due Lori, and another week after that before you can start hassling me!
    Woot for your golfing trousers falling down! You are clearly doing it right!

Hope your tummy troubles settle down Sherry.

Rava is semolina (farina, cream of wheat). ooh they were yummy!

Night time here, best wishes all! Especially those who are fasting!

So last night didn’t go quite as planned. The movie was sold out an hour before it started. We’d gone to buy our tickets before dinner, thinking we’d beat the crowd but no such luck! Anyhow, after dinner we went to the local mini golf/arcade and played $20 worth of games, and I let him ride on the go cart around the track. He had a good time and I must admit, I had fun playing the arcade game where you try to harpoon fish and get points! 😉 Dad and daughters had a great time too.

Well, hubby is off for Hawaii to work and I’m stuck home. That’s ok! My turn comes in October! I’m starting my 4 day cleanse/fast today to give my body a positive jolt.

Lori, you must be looking good to be getting those compliments! Yeah, I get those sort of days where you can’t seem to get enough in your mouth! Don’t know why? Try to distract yourself with more golf! 😉

Cinque, sending prayers your way that your daughter’s delivery is on time and not delayed like usually happens in your family! Sometimes the second one makes it out quicker from what I’ve seen!

Time for my walk and then the making of the cleanse bone broth in the pressure cooker!

Adios!

Viewing 50 posts - 4,101 through 4,150 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.