Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,151 through 4,200 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi girls,

Just back from the first trip. Traveling out again on Tuesday.
    Eating plan went out of the window πŸ™ I think I must have put on 2 lbs in 4 days (or more).. I don’t dare get on the scale. I have another 2 weeks of continuous travel ahead of me. Will she/won’t she stick to some kind of reasonable eating plan?

Salma

Good morning from Melbourne Salma,
    It must be nice to be home!
    Give yourself pats on the back for having done as well as you managed, eating wise, even if it wasn’t as well as you wanted to.
    Will you be able to give yourself some really good couple of home days? I hope so!

Sherry that sounds like a great evening out. All power to you for the next little while as you kid wrangle on your own!

I am heading off to a busy Monday. Drinking coffee now, so I am happy!

Hi, new here from Canada, starting tomorrow. Heard great things about this eating plan from my hairdresser who has always been overweight and tried everything.
    I am 50, have been overweight steadily gaining since I had my son 13 years ago. Prior to that was the thin person who ate whatever she wanted without gaining weight that everyone hated lol. Now I am 80kg at 5 feet tall.
    I get very crabby and anxious when I am hungry so am hoping to avoid that with water and herbal teas. God knows any diet veterans here are well used to being or feeling hungry. I think the fact that this is one day of fasting at a time is what will psychologically help me get through the first day. I am also very busy at work, so not a lot of time to be thinking about food.
    Just wanted to say hi!

I’ve had scales say ridiculous things to me before – don’t fret too much! I try to only weigh myself in the morning (after a trip to the loo) and I put the scales on the same spot every time to try to get a consistent number for comparison purposes. If I ever weigh myself any other time of day, it’s always heavier than the morning. I don’t think my digestion is on a 24-hour cycle anyway, so I think my weight fluctuates a lot for that reason. But one month into the 5-2, even with fluctuation, the trend is downward (1.7 kilos), so hopefully it will keep heading that way. I also find that after fast days, my appetite for mindless munching on snacks is much reduced, and sometimes I’m even kind of hungry, but don’t fancy anything we have, so just don’t eat until I’ve cooked something I like – and usually that’s something much healthier and veggie-based than past cravings. I think this fasting changes more than just your weight.

Good luck!

Hello…

Salma, my plans went out the window this weekend, too! I don’t mind too much as it was basically worth it. We took my cousins out to eat Friday and had this wood fired fig and pancetta pizza that I love. Then Saturday they were houseguests so I made pancakes for the first time in almost a year and Saturday night I had a girls supper club, which was wonderful–all fresh veggie based foods so it was healthy but I did eat a lot! Oh well, I’ll make up for it this week!

Sherry, glad your brother is okay!!!!

Cinque, coffee makes me happy as well!!

Lori, are you on maintenance? I forgot.

Siouxee and LovesGoldens, welcome! I’ve had better luck with 5:2 than other things but it is slow-going for me. As long as I’m generally in the right direction I’m okay with it!

We’ve had several weeks of no rain so it was good to finally get a little today….except it messed up my walking plans. It’s nice to listen to it, though!

Have a good week, everyone! EJ

Bedtime here,
    But hi and welcome Siouxee and Wibbles!

Siouxee great idea planning lots of drinks. Remember it is just one day, and you CAN eat 500cals. If you get nasty hunger waves notice how they go away pretty soon.
    Are you working? Try not to be crabby to your workmates! πŸ˜‰
    I have crabby times on fast days too. Luckily I can often lie down and watch something I like on TV.
    Let us know how you go.

Wibbles such good info, and I agree that 5:2 more than just our weight. hooray for brain changing, habit changing, 5:2!

Carolina I am glad you enjoyed your feasting weekend, and I hope you have a lovely balance out for the rest of the week!
    Hooray for a bit of rain. We have had enough here, parts of the state are flooding. I hope we don’t get too much more this week.

Good night

Good Morning and welcome to all the new members!

I’m not feeling well this morning and it’s my own fault. I had 3 days of eating all manner of sugary stuff that I don’t normally eat. I think the ice cream yesterday afternoon was the main culprit. I spent a horrible night of headache and upset stomach. I had to forego boot camp this morning and decided to call off work. No big loss as I have nothing to do and could not face sitting there all day in my sleep deprived state. I need a nap!

I decided to weigh myself and face the music, and was surprised to see only a few tenths of a pound gain. It may yet catch up to me, but for now I’m having a good fast day and hoping to mitigate most of the damage. Why do I do these things to myself??

I don’t expect I’ll get much accomplished today. Still have a bit of a headache and just feeling blah. So far 2 cups of black coffee and 2 big glasses of water. Trying to hold off eating as long as possible.

Well, enough of my whining. Hope you all had better control of yourselves over the weekend than I did. I don’t think anyone could have done worse! Make it a great day!

First day – it’s 12:44pm here and I’m hungry, lol….all my team workers are going for lunch and I am working. Then decided to come on here because even if I’m not eating, I still get a lunch break.
    I am drinking ginger tea watered down. Had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and a 35cal yogurt. I know this will go away, but right now it’s kind of rough. However, I will say it’s WAY easier knowing I can eat “normally” tomorrow, than if it was a case of “oh, new “diet”, feel miserable, and this is all day every day”…
    Hmmmm, still hungry, lol…..maybe work will distract me, lol

Good morning everyone!

Hi to the new gals and good luck. We’re a supportive group here and will give you all the tips we’ve acquired along the way!

Sounds like many have had a rough go of it recently! I did my first cleanse/fast day yesterday and weighed in this morning at 118.6- higher than I should be after fasting a day! UGH! Guessing I had been doing more damage nibbling, etc. in the last week or so since I weighed than I thought! My goal was to try to break into the 115/116 range with this 4 day cleanse but it may not happen now given where I started. πŸ™ The good thing here girls is we are “on it”! We don’t let the excesses go on too long or get too crazy like in the past. We own it and move on. That’s what will ultimately make us successful, right? πŸ™‚

Cinque, yesterday was an oh so tiring day #1 of kid wrangling! Just exhausting! Their fighting and me having to be the mediator is the worst. And then one (and maybe two as she was sniffling) came down with a cold this morning. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger I guess…at least that’s what they say. My husband on the other hand, who just landed in Hawaii yesterday sounded, dare I say it, “blissful”. He was going out to dinner and to watch a football game with a friend from San Diego that just happened to be in town on a sales trip. It’s ok because his turn is coming soon enough!

Wibbles, if it makes you feel better I’m weird with the scale too! Always in the morning after bm and before breakfast (and of course, scale always placed in the same spot!).

Siouxzee, I find a low cal natural protein drink helps a lot in the way of keeping the hunger pains at bay. And yes, stay distracted whenever possible! πŸ˜‰

Well Carolina, I say if you’re going to go off the rails, do it fabulously as you have! Sounds like a yummy good time! You’ve got the right attitude.

Lori, Sorry you feel so yuck! I guess it might serve as a reminder not to do that to yourself again, huh? Not that that works for me!!! At least the weight wasn’t too impacted and I’m sure today’s fast will make sure you don’t gain further!

I have laundry, dishes, shopping lists to write, etc. pending so I’d better get a move on. Have a good one ladies!

Sherry

Hi anybody 😊 I have been on the 5:2 since early July and to date I have lost 17lb, however I have hit a brick wall and I have stayed the same weight for the past 2 weeks. I am not struggling on the diet and find it quite easy. I don’t eat anything on a fast day as I feel if I eat I won’t stop. Can anyone give me any advice on how to kick start the weight loss again or is this just part of the process πŸ™

Good morning everyone!

Cheering you on Siouxzee! You will love waking up in the morning after a fast day!

Kez, hopefully this helps https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/on-plateaus/
    Most people seem to have plateaus and they can be so frustrating. (I probably have only missed out on one because I don’t weigh myself!)

Sherry, sending you best wishes for strength and that if the kids get sick they are sick in a quiet way with much gratefulness for everything you do for them!

Best version of that quote: “What doesn’t kill you gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humour”

Thanks for the words of encouragement Cinque, I made it through the day. The hunger was really bad around my typical lunch hour but I also think that’s psychological. A bit fuzzy headed but I’m that way normally by the end of the day.
    I’m having spinach and bok choy with tuna for dinner. Really looking forward to it!!

Good morning all from sunny Melbourne ( at least the sun is shining at the moment 😏) Sounds like you have all been busy. I’ve been home from the UK for 3 weeks. Finally recovered from jet lag 😴
    My husband is away in Indonesia at the moment doing some work for our church so we are apart again πŸ˜”
    Fortunately only for 12 days!! Whilst he’s away I set myself projects, this time is a organisational spree in his office hehehe and a change of colour in our bedroom. He only knows there is no painting involved, the secrecy is killing him haha. I did point out to him that I have access to all our bank accounts and just because painting isn’t involved still gives me a wide range of mischief I can get up to.
    As to my 5:2 journey. I’m going up and down like a yoyo πŸ€”Dropped 800gms yesterday back up today!!
    Re did my TDE on another site and it said it was 350cal less than on the 5:2 page. But then I added up my calorie intake yesterday and I had eaten out for lunch, had a good size evening meal and a teeny slice of my friends gluten free orange cake at supper time and I was still within my allowance. And that was an extraordinary day eating wise for me. Go figure! Oh well fast day again for me just having my porridge at 9:45am. Just feeling peckish now so I will try and spread my calorie allowance out as much as possible.
    Anyway have a great one all
    Love Tilly xx

Hi
    Just starting today, I ripped a pair of trousers last week getting them on and I got on the scales today and nearly fainted. Just coming up to 50 and I am just 5’1″ and I weigh this morning 10stone 11 pounds. I have put on weight slowly over the last two years. I am also cutting down on booze after 2-3 years of very heavy drinking. I do gym 2-3 times per week (properly with a real sweat on) I walk 7-8 miles on a weekend and again this is done at a fast pace out of puff. I work from home so I am sitting down most of the time. I know I have to do something if I reach 11 stone I will be so unhappy. This is my last chance saloon….

Good Morning!

Hope you’re all having a good day so far.

As for me, I started my day with boot camp and am planning this to be a Fast day since yesterday’s planned fast got blown out of the water. When I’m around the house and not feeling well, I tend to pick at this and that. I really have to remedy that situation when I’m retired and around the house more. At least most days I won’t be feeling poorly and will have plenty to do to keep me occupied.

No dinner to make tonight since my husband has a dinner meeting to go to. YAY! I can just eat something lite to end my fast day and all will be well. He leaves early Thursday morning for a 5 day trip with a buddy. They are going to visit an Air Force museum, the Henry Ford museum etc etc and then attend a Detroit Tigers baseball game. He’s used to having me there to take care of details. I sure hope these 2 men make it back in one piece! I’m trying not to worry………but I do.

Nothing on my work agenda today, so it will be a day of reading and just surfing the net. Oh…and trying not to eat! πŸ˜‰

Have a good one!

Hello….

Good luck to Lilac! Welcome to the group, Wibbles and Kez. I’m not an expert but I know little bobbles are normal and the main thing is to not give up!

Cinque, I love your version of that saying! I agree!!!!

Sherry, dealing with sibling stuff is one of the hardest parts of parenting I think. I don’t even have much to do about it since my oldest is in college. Even so, when he’s home or we’re visiting him, we usually have some issue pop up!!!!

Lori, hope you’re feeling better. Take advantage of the hubby being away.

Tilly, have fun with your project! We are preparing to redo our kitchen so I’m constantly looking at granite or tile or doors or something. Not sure I’m cut out for it, but it needs doing badly.

Thankfully, the scale seems to be acting normally this week after being ridiculous last week! There is no rhyme or reason!!!! I’m trying to figure out how to make our new schedule work better for 5:2. Tuesday is fast day for sure and probably Thursday even though that is one of our “free days.” I’m thinking I’ll have a semi-fast day on Mondays? Maybe not eat anything until supper and then watch portions a bit, no snacks, sweets, etc. Wednesday my daughter has dance so I should be very mindful then too! I need to anyway. We’ll see!

Hi all. Made it through my first fast day yesterday. Had some intense hunger moments but they passed. Was very excited to eat dinner that’s for sure!
    I have a question – since about yesterday late aft I have this really weird taste in my mouth – reminds me of when I did Atkins and would go into ketosis. It’s not unpleasant. Just odd….continued into today even though I ate normally. Haven’t over eaten but had my breakfast lunch and dinner.
    Welcome newbies like me! Lilac I know what it’s like to be short and overweight. It seems worse than to be carrying extra pounds on a larger frame.

Hi Lilac!
    Welcome! I am glad your panicking has led you here!
    With any luck you will be one of the ones who finds 5:2 is an excellent new habit to develop. Make it easy and sustainable so you can keep doing it, and you will so enjoy feeling your clothes getting looser and then having to dig out your old, smaller sizes, or buy some new ones!

Siouxzee, I am not sure of that taste, maybe it was ketosis? Maybe it was the amazing microbes that live in your mouth reacting to the different day.
    I hope someone can shed light on it for you.

Hi Tilly, welcome home! Your projects sound amazing!
    It sounds like you have your TDEE working fine too. It shows in the clothes!

Carolina, I am glad the scales are behaving! Good luck working out your new schedule, it can be stressful, but once you have it right it will be great!

Good luck for your day Lori, pamper yourself!
    I hope your husband has a great trip and gets home ok!

Kez, how is it going today?

Sherry, are you still alive?

Salma, Minn, sending best wishes

Hello to all the other 50’s and thereabouts! How are you going?

Day before Fast Day for me!

Morning all from cold and wet Melbourne, beautiful sunshine one day pouring rain the next 😏
    Fast day yesterday, went really well. Did get really hungry late in the evening but just drank more water, although that has other effects…nighttime visits 😳Lol The scales were down today so that’s good.
    Have my younger sons 29th birthday today, so busy cooking for the dinner tonight with some of the family. Husband still away and son in law working late. Oh well he wouldn’t eat the Ferrero Rocher chocolate cake any way, he’s a Personal Trainer !! πŸ˜‰
    Welcome to all the newbies.
    Have a good one
    Live Tilly xx

Good Morning lovely people!

Please forgive me for not doing personals. As our ranks are growing, I would have to take notes to make sure I’m commenting on the correct person! Just know I enjoy reading all your posts and am glad you are here!

Sorry to report that I just cannot seem to see a good fast day thru to the end. πŸ™ I did great all day, but after dinner, I just can’t seem to turn off the appetite. I did stay low carb and was well below my TDEE, but much more than the 500 I’m supposed to have. The scale is creeping down by tenths, but oh so slowly.

I’m off work today to go play golf with my friends. YAY! I’m looking forward to a great day out in nature with my friends. The course we are going to has the reputation of being very beautiful with lots of woods as you go from hole to hole. The weather is great…perfect Fall day!

I need to think of something for breakfast. Nothing is really “speaking” to me. I just had a cup of coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil and a bit of grass fed butter….Yum. It has done the trick to blunt my appetite. Maybe I should start having a bit of that in the evenings to keep from eating?! Hmmm….

Off I go……hope you all have a fabulous day!

Hellooooo….

Quick pop on here! For fast day yesterday, I had salad and a couple cheese sticks. Usually I have something hot so it was different but it went okay.

Lori, I think having a hot drink in the evening is a good idea. I know artificial sweeteners are not ideal, but some flavored decaf or cocoa with a little sweetener might be what you need to get through the evening without feeling deprived. It has worked for me in the past. I need to do that again!!! Hot drinks are so good because they last a while.

Need to be mindful today!

Morning gals,

Cinque, to answer your question, “just barely”. I feel wrecked this morning. My younger diabetic daughter’s alarm kept going off last night saying her glucose levels were high and I had to give her insulin. And, I had to get up a half hour earlier (1/2 hr. lost of my precious sleep is so hard!) to get my son to school by 6 am in order to go on a field trip on a scientific sea voyage to collect samples from the ocean floor. I think a nap will be in order this afternoon! Good thing is that the 3 younger ones have choir practice till 4pm so that will give me more time to myself this afternoon thank goodness!

Today is day 4 (last day) of my cleanse and I’m back in the 117’s which is good, but I’ve been here before as you know. I’m really hoping I get into magical 116 territory tomorrow but as slow as this fast’s loss has gone, I’m thinking not. We will see.

I need to do my morning walk but it’s been stormy here the last few days. Super muggy/hot and rainy. It should break by afternoon so I may do it later.

Hi new ladies! Kez, as far as advice goes, maybe analyze what you’re eating on NFD’s (nonfast days). Maybe you’re eating a bit more than you should? Or mix up the types of food you’re eating and see what happens? Good luck!

Siouxzee, are you doing better with the fasts now? Feeling better? Hoping you hit your stride!

Tilly, good to see you back again. I know you popped in after you returned from your trip. Hope the yo yo-ing stops and moves downward!

Lilac, best of luck to you with this plan. I think it will be successful for you! Just don’t give up! I’m a shorty too, used to be 5’2″ but think I’ve shrunk to 5’1″! I started out here at 135 lbs. and how 117. I know it’s harder for us shorty’s but you can do it! The fact that you’re already exercising is half the battle won. Some here don’t or can’t exercise and they still lose! Keep us updated on your progress! πŸ™‚

Lori, how frustrating re: the fasting! You maybe need to pick as a fast day a day that you have no socializing or being home and being tempted to nibble! Just getting one good FD under your belt should reinvigorate you! But, at least you’re not gaining, right?! The silver lining!

Carolina, so it sounds like you had a good, though different fast day? Happy mindfulness day! πŸ˜‰

Hmmm, I think the rain may have stopped early. Even though it’s rather soggy out, I think I’ll give my walk a go!

Sherry

Hi all!
    Second fast day – feeling less intimidated this time because I made it through Monday without collapsing lol.
    I bought scales last night as we didnt have any. Crappy digital ones where you lost/gained 7 lbs if you wiggled a bit lol. Give me an old fashioned dial scale any day!
    I find tea or coffee really helps with hunger. I drink ginger tea diluted with water all day. Just livens up the water. Also having something planned and ready to go in the fridge for dinner helps me. A coffee in the aft with stevia helped with the afternoon stretch. Also my work is really busy so I’m go go go all day.
    Good luck to everyone today!!!.

Hi there everyone,
    Siouxzee sounds like you’ve got this 😊 I find drinking calorie free drinks helps to stave off the hunger too. I’m not a tea drinker so I normally stick with mineral water. And also having a plan for what you will eat in your allowance helps too.
    Lilac I’m a smaller person too only 5’2″ I’m weighing in at 130lbs I haven’t been this heavy since I was pregnant 😳. I blame menopause. My weight used to sit around 120lbs but slowly the weight crept on in the past 5 years. I was diagnosed with MS 23 years ago so exercise is somewhat of an issue. I do go to the gym 3 days a week when I’m up to it, which is most weeks but sometimes it’s really hard and walking presents problems too. I’m hoping this plan will help me get back to a reasonable weight for my age and height and maintain it.
    I have lost some weight since I started so hang in there it’s slow and steady wins the race isn’t it ?
    Hang in there πŸ˜‰
    Love Tilly xx

Good Morning!

Thursday already! I had a good day on the golf course yesterday, despite not playing very well. It was a difficult course with lots of woods and sand traps! A bit frustrating at times.

I’m a bit sad as my husband left with his buddy for a 5 day trip. They are visiting some museums and going to a baseball game etc etc. Guy stuff. I won’t miss trying to figure out what to feed him, but will miss him being around for sure. I hope the “boys” have fun and don’t have any mishaps. My husband knows just enough about his new smart phone to be dangerous! LOL! I’m sure there will be many stories coming out of this trip.

11 more days to walk thru the office door. I’m more than ready to be done. My trainee is on her own for the most part and I’m just here. A question once in a while, but she has a handle on most things. She loves to figure things out for herself, so very independent. All good!

Ok…time for a bit more coffee. Have a good day everyone!

Good morning everyone,
    It is a better Melbourne day today, isn’t it Tilly!
    i hope your son had a wonderful birthday! How handy to have a personal trainer in the family!

I COMPLETELY agree that slow and steady wins the race. 5:2 works best as a sustainable way of life, doesn’t it. Make it as opposite to a fad diet as possible! That’s my take on it.

Good work Siouxzee, and those drinks keep us hydrated too!
    You’ll be an old hand before you know it.

Congratulations on your fast day Carolina, I bet the cheese sticks kept you going for a good while. Is it your daughter’s dance day around now? Best wishes to her.

Sherry I hope you can make up on some sleep! Did you doze in that precious time you had to yourself? Best wishes. I do hope no more insulin alarms are needed!

Those days are going quickly Lori!

My news is about the community food project I started. We have been invited to start up from a little kiosk in the big reception area of a local community health centre. Thanks to lots of wonderful support, we think we can do it (does any one have a cash register to donate? or a fridge or three? or one of these? http://www.whatcomcounts.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/23.jpg )
    We will be selling lovely freshly made easy healthy food! I will be very busy over the next little while though!

It is day after fast day, I have just had a lovely breakfast and now for coffee!

Cheers everyone!

Hi all,
    Made it through my second fast day. Went to bed early to stop myself from snacking. My hairdresser introduced me to this plan. Saw her this afternoon, good timing, she said she initially found the FDs tough but now isn’t bothered by them. It’s only week 1 for me and I managed. Am hoping I see a loss when I weigh in tomorrow.
    I’m hoping for improve to in my blood pressure and also last blood work my pancreas “values” we’re very high. Had a CT scan but it checked out fine. I’m really hoping both these conditions improve with this plan.
    Does anyone have any experience with health improvement?
    Hope you all had a good day!

Cinque!! Wonderful news about your food project! Hope you find the equipment you need at a reasonable price, or that someone donates it. A kiosk in a health center sounds like a perfect place! Good luck!

I had an ok eating day yesterday, but the scale went up a few tenths. Maybe sore muscles from boot camp?

No golf or anything tomorrow, so I’m going to work around the house since the husband is away and won’t be underfoot. πŸ˜‰ I have quite a few books that I want to donate to our local library for their book sale in November. I’ll be packing some of them up tomorrow and then the husband will take them to the library next week.

Having a lazy morning. I decided to sleep in a bit as I was up around 2 and had a bit of trouble getting back to sleep. I reset my alarm and had a bit of a lie in. Only 2 boot camp sessions this week…I’ll try to do better next week.

Off for another cup of coffee. Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Evening ladies,
    Fast day yesterday and the trend was down on the scales yay A little bit, but down is good.
    Cinque great to hear about your project. Sounds like a wonderful plan. Which side of Melbourne are you going to be located in ?
    Lori you did better than I this week, only managed the gym once. Been running hither and yonder all week.
    Hoping to walk in the morning with my walking girls, at least one of them. One has her daughters wedding on and another has a working bee at her sons place and our travelling friend is still sunning herself in Italy where she’s been for nearly three months !! Helps that her sister lives there so free accommodation 😎
    Well have a lovely weekend ladies, it’s supposed to be fine tomorrow going to make the most of it.
    Love
    Tilly xx

Hey everyone!

Happy Friday! I’m still struggling along single parenting. Besides being the one they go to with all their bickering, the running around to all the different games and practices is doing me in! πŸ™

Good news was today, after a NFD yesterday, I reached my mini goal of getting into the 116’s- 116.8 to be exact! Woo hoo! I’m sure it won’t stick immediately, but at least I’ve seen it and know it’s attainable. My goal weight of 115 by the end of the year should hopefully happen. It’s a very slow go the closer you get!

I went to lunch with the woman who manages one of my offices and a former employee. This poor former employee has had it tough, going through colon/anal cancer and having most of the colon from the bottom up removed. She has a colostomy now. She just finished her last chemo and had a scan and waiting to see what the result is. I’m praying it’s good. Another reminder to get that darned colonoscopy (which she didn’t).

Where does time go? My soon-to-be 16 year old is going to go on a local college tour next week to get her feet wet. So weird!

Cinque, congrats on your YamDaisy project moving forward! Will you be serving meals all day or just once a day? Have you got the menu all figured out? I hope the equipment you need makes it your way!

Siouxzee, sounds like you’re doing good. Here’s hoping your health improves as a result of doing this plan!

Lori, sorry you’re missing your hubby, but sometimes it is nice not to have to worry about making them a “proper” meal, etc. There’s pros and cons! πŸ˜‰ The countdown toward retirement marches on! You’re almost there girl!

Tilly, it’s nice you have walking buddies. I’ve had a few over the years but they always seem to peeter out. Most don’t have the determination I do to stay fit. They always let life get in the way. I have two neighbor ladies who see me out walking and always say, “we need to walk sometime!”, and I always say, “I’m here whenever you want to go”, but do they ever? Nope!

Time to get on with the day. Have a lovely one girls! πŸ™‚

Hi Sherryann,
    Yes it is nice to have walking buddies. We have been doing this for over two years now. It might not be the whole group of six every week, but there aren’t many weeks when there haven’t been two or three of us. We started off as a support for one of our girls who was diagnosed with breast cancer to help her stay for whilst going through treatment even though we were all friends from years back. It’s been a great group. We’ve celebrated weddings of our children and now we have our first grand baby on its way ! We do meet for dinner on occasion with our husbands which we’ve done for years. They are great girls.
    Speaking of which I better get going have to be at the track in half an hour.
    Love Tilly xx

Good morning everyone!

Siouxzee the forum is full of people finding good health benefits from 5:2.
    My underlying illness is ME/CFS and sad to say that hasn’t improved, but it is a lot easier to manage without all that extra weight!
    I found this thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/fasting-helping-pancreatic-insufficiency/ not sure if it is relevant to your issues.

I often have early nights on fast days too!

Tilly, what a lovely group of friends! I hope you had a lovely walk, It is a great morning!

Our little cafe is going to be in East Reservoir, up behind Northland (I live nearby in Fairfield). We are starting off small, opening from 10am – 2pm three days a week. Here is what we are thinking for the menu: http://www.yamdaisy.com/eat/
    We will have freshly made banana bread or biscuits so people can have something with their cuppa if they wish, but we won’t be pushing them, as healthy food is our thing!

Sherry, I hope you can encourage the kids to go and visit friends and relatives and give you some peace! The college tour sounds good! Does it take several days by chance πŸ˜‰
    At least you are keeping your health on track. Yay.

So sorry to hear of your friends hard time with cancer. Best wishes to her.

Day before fast day here. I am thinking that I like how we go in smaller and smaller increments to that end weight. I would find it rocky moving from fasting to maintenance if I was losing weight quickly and becoming underweight.
    Instead I am feeling like it is a nice glide in, I just keep on with my 5:2 and my body is doing all that extra work, thanks to me being in my fifties, with saggy flappy bits needing to sort themselves out. My new habits are getting ingrained, and when I am ready for maintenance, hopefully that will be an easy transition too.

It is a lovely Saturday morning here, I hope you all get a lovely weekend too!

Hello!!!

My fast day yesterday was fine but today I’ve been eating this and that all day. I don’t usually do that! But I have done well with the exercise at least. We went to an apple orchard today and walked a ton and up and down hills.

My daughter has been under the weather this week but finally seems okay, which was good since we’d planned the orchard trip.

Sherry, it sounds difficult to be up with insulin issues in the night! How is your daughter handling it? My husband travels a fair amount and it seems like there is always some crisis when he is gone.

Siouxzee, I hope you do see health benefits. I’m curious how my bloodwork will come out as well.

Tilly, I have had a walking buddy for maybe ten years. We have a few months here and there where one of us is distracted but otherwise we’re on. We call it walk and talk and we have saved a bunch on counseling!

Cinque, your cafe sounds amazing. Wish there were something like that here.

Lori, I never thought of museums as guy things, haha. I hope you find something fun to do while he’s gone.

Good Morning!

Here I am with an entire day of nothing I have to do! I can’t remember the last time I have had a day like this! I am planning to have a closet clean out later today…I’ll have a big bag for donation until I’m finished! Yesterday afternoon I packed up 3 big boxes of books for donation to the library. A productive day! I also organized my cook books so I can easily lay hands on them when I get the mood! πŸ˜‰

Tomorrow I’ll be off for the golf course for a 9AM tee time. It’s going to be quite chilly in the morning….jacket weather at last! Should be a lovely day once the sun warms things up a bit.

At some point today I’m going to head out for a walk. Once I’m retired, I want to start taking 2 walks a day…..one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I will continue my boot camp sessions, but add in the walking. I need to guard against too much sitting in retirement.

Hope you all have a great day!

Hi all,
    3rd FD on this plan. Am trying to eat breakfast later, say around 10am, rather than 7am. Hoping it will help work feeling so hungry later in the afternoon. We usually eat dinner around 6.
    Do you tend to have 8 hours between meals or try for 12?
    Am keeping quiet for now to friends. Had to tell husband because he’d wonder why I wasn’t eating a “regular” dinner. His concern is me being crabby because I’m hungry. Which happens but hasn’t really happened the two FDs I had last week.
    Hope everyone has a good day. Um in Ontario Canada. Are most of you from Australia?
    Sue

Hello ladies,
    FD yesterday, went reasonably. Got really hungry late in the day so drank heaps of water which helps only problem is then you’re up all night going to the bathroom 😁
    Siouxzee I think two of us are from Australia and the rest are from the US, I could be wrong though πŸ˜‰
    My FD plan looks like this :
    Breakfast (porridge made with water and a dash of milk) at around 9:30 am followed by a small coffee
    Normally have a piece of fruit, generally an apple around 1:30pm with a cup of chai tea
    Dinner of vegetables to use up my calorie allowance around 6:30pm
    Then drinking lots of water until bedtime.
    I’m not too hungry with that amount, it works for me. You just go with what suits your life and appetite I guess.
    Supposed to be walking with my walking buddies tomorrow although the rain that is falling at the moment may cancel that πŸ˜• Oh well there’s always a coat and umbrella.
    Love Tilly xx

Good Monday morning!

Only 1 more Monday to come to work! Woohoo!!! Retirement here I come!

My husband will probably be home this evening. He and his friend have had a great trip the past 5 days, but I know he’s ready to be home. They have a long drive this afternoon after 1 more museum stop. 7 hours on the road. πŸ™

I had a great day on the golf course yesterday. I was hitting the ball SO well. Maybe it was because I was playing with guys and was trying to show them up? πŸ˜‰ Whatever the reason, I hope I continue to hit it that well.

Fun boot camp session this morning and my nice protein shake breakfast. This is shaping up to be a good fast day.

Have a great one!

Good afternoon Siouxee.
    I am from Ontario Canada also. I’m glad to hear that you are having good days on the plan. I am finding it difficult to get through one fast day.
    As they say tomorrow is another day and I will try again.
    Keep up the good work and results will follow.
    regards,
    Linda

Happy Monday morning ladies,

We’re in the middle of a mini heat wave out here in San Diego. Last week thunderstorms, this week Santa Ana hot wind conditions. It’s supposed to be 100 F today. Geesh! I’m running the air conditioning full time- something we rarely have to do where I live.

Just got back from racing to my daughter’s school as her insulin pump failed for some reason and I had to hurry over and install another on her. With my hubby gone, I have to remain fairly close by to handle things like that. Though in an emergency, my older daughter who’s also diabetic and on the same campus could handle it thank goodness!

My weight is still hanging out in the 116.8-117.0 range. I’m fasting today to try to give it a jolt downward more solidly into the 116’s. Brunch was a scrambled egg plus an egg white and 1 cup frozen strawberries blended with a little sugar free grapefruit seltzer water and stevia. I think I’ll be making chicken with leeks and veggies for dinner.

Cinque, I checked it out and the menu sounds great…homey and healthy and just what people like! It was so nice to see you too when I looked through the website, you pretty lady! πŸ™‚ I agree that perhaps the slower the weight goes, especially as we get near maintenance, the better possibly for our skin to slowly ease into it’s new shape so as not to flap so much! At least we can hope for that! πŸ˜‰

Hi Carolina, so funny you mentioned always having a crisis when your husband is gone! We always do too and it’s the running joke around here…what will go wrong/break while dad is gone?! This time it’s the electric garage door. We ended up climbing up on a ladder and closing it manually and keeping the car out in the driveway instead! As for the insulin issues at night, she isn’t hardly aware! The alarm goes off and she sleeps through it, while I of course get up and press the button to give her more insulin. At least with the pump I don’t have to give her a shot anymore which would of course wake her.

Sue (so much easier to write than your other name!), I just go with how my body feels that fast day. Sometimes I want breakfast and then it might be closer to 11 or 12 hours and sometimes like today where I was very busy in the morning, I wait till lunch time and it will be more like 16 hours. I am in San Diego, California as I mentioned above.

Tilly, Salma, our leader!, is from Lebanon and we’ve had Canadians and people from the British Isles pop in and out.

YAY Lori, you’re almost there. It will be interesting to see what your retirement days end up looking like. Will it be golf every day?

Time to get dinner in the crockpot and make my daughter some nice almond meal pumpkin spice cookies. They’re low carb and yummy!

Have a great start to the week ladies!

Sherry

Good morning everyone,
    Lovely and sunny this morning in Melbourne Australia. Looks good for a walk Tilly!
    What is it like in Ontario?

Salma we are missing you! How are you?

Linda I am sorry to hear you are struggling so much. I know that different people find different solutions to make fast days work (Mine is to drink cuppas with milk all through the day, and then to have a bowl of chicken soup in the evening.)
    What are you eating on fast days, and what are the problems? We might be some use with ideas to make it easier.
    Good luck for tomorrow!

Sue, I am glad to write the short version of your name too, haha.
    To answer your question, if I count the milk in my cuppas as food (and I do) then I don’t have much of a non eating window at all. However, since it is so easy for me to do it this way, and 5:2 is working fine, I will keep doing it!

Great fast day Lori, and your husband home for a prize at the end!

Sherry, best wishes for this week. I hope the only things that go wrong are small and easily fixed, and fingers crossed for less of the kids bickering!

Thanks for the cafe feedback. πŸ™‚

It is lull day for me. It wasn’t fast day yesterday, and it won’t be tomorrow. So healthy mindful normal eating is the go! Cheers!

Hello…..

We finally had a nice soft rain and now the sun is out. It’s also cooled off. Yay!

Today is fast day. Yesterday I did a semifast–no eating until a protein snack at 4 or so. A normal supper. I think this will work…..

Sue and Linda, I fudge a little with the coffee cream. It helps me make it! Whatever helps you make it, that is what works!!

Tilly, hope you got your walk in!

Cinque, the cafe looks amazing!!!

Sherry, I hope your daughter’s insulin issues settle down. Interesting aside–we have an elderly cat who has been on insulin five years. He’s almost died from various other things, too, but he’s still hanging in there! Last week he started having spells and we were thinking it’s time but then I thought I’d drop the insulin and see what happens. We don’t get it checked often–I go by symptoms and he hadn’t been peeing a lot. He hasn’t had a spell since, knock on wood. I’m sure he doesn’t have a lot longer with us anyway–most people would have ended it a long time ago but he still loves us and purrs and everything…..

Lori, I like to walk twice as well but I don’t always make it.

Did anyone see the HIT program with Michael Mosley? It was on PBS here in the States. It’s nothing new but we watched it and I’m going to try this more. The difficult part is really pushing yourself to the max but we have a very steep hill in the neighborhood that I’m going to try to run up a few times a week….that might be something to kick start your body!

My poor son had a traumatic weekend. First he broke up with his girlfriend. Then he didn’t sleep all night. Then he missed his flight connection going to San Francisco for an internship interview. Then he waited around to see if he could get a standby that night or in the morning, which he couldn’t. Then he had to fly back to Pittsburgh and get in at 1 a.m. He had to give an answer for another internship so he had to pass this one up. Good thing he’s young!

Hi everyone,

A rough go of it still around here. I was up with my daughter 3 times last night and had to get up earlier than usual for the semester teacher conference appointment at 7:35. I’m dead tired and going to try to get a little shut eye before I have yet another conference and then pick up the kids. I cancelled out on pilates today because of lack of sleep and my thigh and hip have been sore at night. Down to 116.8 again after fast yesterday. Wish it was a tad lower but I’ll take it (hope it sticks around the 116’s for a while!).

Carolina, sounds like you’re on a roll! Weird about the cat, but they do have nine lives, right? πŸ˜‰ So sorry for your son! Honestly, those high school and college years are just the craziest. Fun, but crazy. Hope he gets the internship he wants!

Bye!

Good morning, just a quick note because I am on grandma duty. Grandbaby the second was born yesterday (27th). She is gorgeous and enormous (4.29 kg almost 9 1/2 pound) and looks a lot more like my daughter (granddaughter one is more like her dad). So fat she is like a little buddha with thick black hair. Her cheeks are so fat she looks like a tomato with hair on top! And very content (so far!)
    My daughter is very well, and we had a gorgeous time with the big 2 year old sister meeting the little one.

Congratulations Cinque!! I loved the pictures on Facebook. I thought the baby looked good size. Your poor daughter…..ouch! πŸ˜‰ A tomato with hair on top…you are too funny!

Yay Cinque, congrats on your new little tomato! I’m glad your daughter is doing well despite delivering such a big baby! Did you tell us prior what they were naming her? What did Josie have to say about her?

Down well into the 116’s at 116.4 this morning and I haven’t even fasted the last two days! I’m so happy! πŸ™‚

The kids are off of school today due to teacher/parent conferences (I already got mine out of the way yesterday as I mentioned). My son does have a flag football game against a school a half hour’s drive from here though. It is so hot and nasty humid that I fear it will be tough on the boys playing in this weather. It is supposed to cool down by the weekend thank goodness.

That’s all I’ve got for now. It’s been fairly quiet on here. Salma, are you home yet? Hope you’re all having a great week out there!

Sherry

Hi everyone,
    Fast day, while on grandma duties with little Josie. Mum and bub coming home this morning. Life is a bit hectic (what are you complaining about Sherry???? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ )

Big congrats on your low weight Sherry! Success!

Carolina, your weather sounds lovely!
    How did the semi fast go?

So sorry to hear of the hard time your son is having. Once things go wrong it is easy to spiral down. I hope he can pick himself up and get all the good things going again.

I think that Dr Mosley HIT show was in here, but since I can’t do that exercise I just sigh and let it go past.

Off to try and get some order in the house, while the toddler is unordering it faster!

PS Baby is Penelope (but might be shortened to Elli) Josie is gorgeous with her and calls her ‘baby sister’

Hi, I’m also in my early 50s and just started today after my GP advised me to. Initially he just said “why don’t you try the fast diet” and my response was ” I’ve been told not to lose weight fast because of my liver”…d’oh!
    Anyway, I love porridge and my morning coffee is always black so let’s see how the day goes.

Welcome Katab! Best wishes for your first fast day! Let us know how you go!

It is nearly the end of mine! (I’m in Melbourne Australia time zone!) I’ll make my miso soup soon!

Busy time for Grandma Cinque! Hope Penelope and Mum continue to do well now that they are home. Maybe Josie will use a doll baby and take care of it as Mum takes care of Penelope. I have heard that little ones sometimes enjoy doing that.

No boot camp for me this morning as the cat had me up prancing around the house at 2:30AM. It takes me a while to get back to sleep once I go back to bed and then when it’s time to get up, I’m sleeping soundly. Sigh…

Not sure what my eating will entail today. Don’t really have a plan. It may just turn into a low calorie day. I can do really well during the day, but then in the evening….stand back!

Hugs to you all!

Viewing 50 posts - 4,151 through 4,200 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.