Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,051 through 4,100 (of 5,077 total)

• Here we go MM……yes! Let’s support each other the next 6 weeks.

OMG..bedbugs! That is a nightmare. When we travel, I always check the hotel mattress before we “move in” to look for any signs of bugs. I hope the professionals can solve your problem without too much hassle, but I’m wondering if you will have to get a new mattress & carpets etc? Let us know what their solution is. Good luck!

No carpet in that room, but something potentially worse. I live in a log house so there are a gazillion cracks in the wall they could be nesting in. One of my friends jokingly said we’d need to burn the house down. But it isn’t really funny.

MM, have you tried using a steam cleaner?

Good Monday Morning Everyone!!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend! Mine was nice but after doing so well on the program during the week I feel I may have not done as good as I should have this weekend 🙁 How do you all handle the days coming off of your fast? I need to break the cycle of overeating!! HELP

Hi everyone,

It’s a foggy Monday morning here, but that made it nice and cool for my walk!

Susan, I started 5:2 about a year ago and lost about 16 pounds. I didn’t lose much the first 2-3 months until I started incorporating eating cleaner/a little lower carb as well. That’s just what worked for me. We are all different!

Salma, glad you had a wonderful, indulgent birthday!

Good luck Lori and MM on your 6 week weight loss challenge!

MM, reading about the potential bed bugs is making me itch as I type! I hope they’re taken care of quickly! I wonder if you might have brought them home from one of your travels? That’s where they say people usually get them from. Lori’s smart to check the hotel beds- I need to do that! Btw, not that we should get political here, as I don’t think it’s the forum for that, but I’m sure Donald Trump’s exaggerated “You’re fired” is for the audience and not necessarily and indicator of the person. It is TV after all!

Have a good day girls! 🙂

Rosie, maybe pre-planning a bit what you’ll eat on the non-fast days? I know if I don’t have something healthy planned the day after a fast, sometimes I’m so ravenous, I start to “vacuum” up everything in sight! If I plan ahead and have a nice frittata, etc. for the next morning I start the day off right and it sets the tone for my eating that day. Also try to remember all the good work you’ve just done and that you don’t want to un-do it! Good luck!

Salma, Happy, happy birthday wishes! What a great celebration!
    Yes you are near enough! A good year, and setting yourself up well for the year ahead!

Re work, I don’t think there is anything harder than firing people (other than being fired of course), but you had to do it, and it is done. And on the up side, it is the right thing for the organisation and HOPEFULLY you can now employ a couple of people who will be working with you, not against you, and start to make your workplace a better place. All power to you Salma! Even here, half way round the world, I can see you are doing a good job!

Hi Rosie,
    I understand how you are feeling. For a while, when I began 5:2, I thought I was nicely losing weight and reprogramming my brain to be a normal eater. But in fact I have had to take it as a big learning experiment where the non fasting days are more work than the fasting days!

For me there are two things. The first is that sweet foods (even fruit, dammit) set off intolerable hunger pangs. I worked that out before 5:2 and have basically cut out sweet things and refined flour etc. But even so, every time I push the boundary a bit I get myself in trouble.

But even with my no sugar diet I have a tendency to overeat. This article: http://healthsciences.ku.dk/news/new-2016/new-research-obese-people-can-maintain-stable-weight-loss/ made me decide to give up trying to listen to my body about whether I am full or want to keep eating, and just concentrate on giving myself three normal (delicious) healthy meals a day. Not letting myself snack inbetween or eat more than I plan. I figure if I do this for a year, maybe I can retrain my brain to a normal diet and a normal weight.

Ofcourse sometimes I do feast or snack, but I am doing pretty well and know I am on the right track for myself. Maybe I will have to do this for the rest of my life, but hopefully it will be a healthier life at a normal weight, and I am still eating good meals on non fast days, so no problem!

So I put quite a bit of time into planning ahead so I know I have a good meal coming along in three or four hours and I can make myself be patient.

I also do a lot of analysing and being mindful. There is so much to learn!

Hello everyone else. I am having difficult days as my daughter and son in law have had early morning appointments that I have had to drive them to. Early mornings wipe me out! So I will just say an all around hello to the rest of you, and I”ll catch up soon! I hope the pest control people have an easy solution MinnMiss!

Good Morning!

Hurrah for my first successful fast day in ages! I managed to stay around 600 calories, which on a day when I’ve done boot camp, is quite the feat! I am quite hungry this morning, but trying to wait until after my run/walk this morning to eat anything. I plan to eat today, but stay low carb as usual. The 3+ lb gain I experienced yesterday is gone this morning. Whew! I knew it was water from all the crap over the weekend. I am determined now to get that darn scale down into a new decade….hopefully within the next few weeks.

Cinque…hope you can have a nap after your early mornings! Being off your normal schedule is rough. Take care!

Good luck to all fasters today! We can do it!

Salma, Happy Birthday!!!

Welcome, Marc, and congratulations, Africa!

Rosie, after a few weeks you’ll start to be more mindful of what you eat on non-fast days.

MM–I always worry about bedbugs when we travel! They sound like a nightmare. Several years ago we had a scabies scare and I quite literally felt that I was losing my mind. I still don’t know if I had them or not.

SherryAnn, school started yesterday for us. My daughter is sad because she is on a different team than the rest of her group of friends. I wouldn’t mind if they were all dispersed but they are together. She does know some nice girls in her class at least. Middle school is hard! Don’t get too skinny!!!!

With school starting, I’m trying to get back in a good pattern. Yesterday was a good fast day. I was inspired by Salma to make a salad based on chopped herbs!! I used cilantro, dill plus a little romaine, apple and celery, and I used an orange dressing that I diluted with a little more OJ, olive oil and agave. I was trying to find a dressing my daughter would like since she hates vinegar. It seems to have worked! Also, I have a new phone that works better with my fitbit so I’m trying to get at least 10000 steps, 20 staircases, etc. So far so good, haha.

Oh and Lori, good luck getting back in the groove. You will need to with all these vacations!

Evening everyone

I am sat at home on a non fast day and thinking how much Rosie’s post resonates with me. Ive had two good fast days when I have done really well sticking to 500cals. But non fast days are a different matter. I really have the munchies now and am concerned I will undo all the good work of fast days. I managed to lose a pound on both days. You are so true Cinque when you say ” non fasting days are more work than the fasting days!” I guess years of overeating arent going to disappear overnight. You have given great advice and yes while there is so much to learn what is important is to put the that learning into practice. Ive just told my son and husband how I am feeling and they have promised to keep me out of the kitchen and make me a nice soda and fresh lime juice.

Hello all!

I’m fasting today and it’s now 1:00 in the afternoon. I’ve been so busy with pilates, clothes shopping for the kids and grocery shopping that I’ve not really had the chance to think about food ( I had a protein smoothie around 8 am) today. So, that’s a good thing! 🙂

Cinque, you are a great mom/grandmom to your family! Always helping out even if it’s tough on you. Kudos to you! Like Lori, I hope you get some much needed rest soon. So your daughter’s family doesn’t have a car I assume? Will they get one soon to alleviate the burden on you? With regard to the NFD eating: do you ever have the opposite problem of you just did really well fasting and now what the heck to you eat not to undo it? Sometimes (not often!) I just don’t know what to eat!

Great job, Lori on a successful fast and the 3lbs gone! You’re getting back into the swing of things!

Carolina/Elizabeth (which do you prefer?), are you as happy as I was that your kid is back in school? Yes, one of my twins was sad that her best friend who had been in all of her classes since preschool was not in her 4th grade class this year. I told her that at least she sees her at recess/lunch and there’s always playdates. Of course they’re both fine with it now-it was just the initial shock. Good job getting back into a healthy pattern with your exercise, etc. It is easier with them back in school since there’s a schedule and the days are more predictable. And btw, there’s no chance I’ll get “too skinny”, believe me! Food and I have too much of a long-term relationship going on for that to ever happen!

Susan, is there anything healthy that you like to munch on when you get the munchies? I’ve found these good fruit juice infused flavored flavored zero calorie seltzers that I add a little stevia to and they help fill me up too. Yes, try to divert yourself from the kitchen, maybe a walk, gardening, knitting, talking to a friend, etc. I know we’ve all heard it before but thought I’d put it out there! 😉

Have a good afternoon/eve all! 🙂

Hello all.

Happy birthday, Salma! I hope you had a wonderful day.

Lori, way to go on the 3 lbs. I’m hoping to get into a different decade as well on that old scale in a few weeks, but have decided to stay off it till I have at least six good fast days under (or not under!) my belt.

Cinque and others, no change on the bug situation yet. The inspector can’t come out till Friday. After washing all the linens I still got one bite last night. I think it’s just fleas, but am anxious to find out. And get rid of them!! Meanwhile the dogs and I are going to stay with a friend tonight and possibly tomorrow as well. It’s hard not to get a good night’s sleep.

Classes started today for me. It’s quite a change since I was on sabbatical last spring so haven’t been in the classroom now for eight months. The students were lovely. I was surprised at the ones who said “thank you” as they left the classroom. Carolina and Sherry, I hope your kids are as happy to be back as I am.

Susan, it gets easier. At first I could have eaten a buffalo on the day after my fast day. Now I find I’m just not particularly hungry. I went till mid-afternoon after my last fast day without feeling hungry (then I ate the buffalo 🙁 )

MM

Last cuppa on a good Wednesday Fast Day (Yes! Wednesday again! I wonder if it will stick). Very hungry all day but mostly it felt nicely empty and good fasting, just painful when the bread I made came out from the oven. omg it smells good! A very rustic loaf this time and a 24 hour rise which increases the flavour. I can still smell it faintly! Only 10 hours til breakfast!
    (I know what to eat tomorrow Sherry! 🙂 )
    But I do love that feeling of just wanting to put beautiful food that I particularly want to eat, in my body. Especially after a fast day.

My daughter’s family have a car, but Nick can’t drive at the moment as they are still working out what to do about a seizure he had a couple of months ago, and my daughter is trying to get her car license, she is pretty close,, but will she get it before the baby is born?
    The early appt’s were Rose’s eye test (she has very bad eyesight and needed to check she was ok to get her licence – she is!) and Nick’s EEG to see what is happening in his dear head.

I had a slow, easy day today. Made bread, did a very nice slow shop at the local shops, and then decided to try on some of those summer clothes I’d packed away (the weather is warming up!) and yes things that were tight fit easily, and things I couldn’t get into now do up! I will so enjoy this summer I think!

I hope it was a good non fast day Africa and everybody!

MM your students sound lovely!
    Carolina, what a delicious salad!

Lori, it is the month before retirement tomorrow!

Good Morning!

Oh Cinque…I can smell that freshly baked bread from here! Drool……and on my FD too!

I need a good FD today as I fell halfway off the wagon yesterday on my NFD. I did a 5k run/walk yesterday morning, so thought I could indulge. 🙁 Of course, the scale popped back up a couple pounds, but they will be gone in no time. I need to stop the every day weighing. It does no good but to make me feel bad about myself.

Have a great day everyone!!

Good day everyone!

Hubby out deep sea fishing for the last time for the season- wish him luck! Last few times have not been fruitful! A lovely mahi mahi would be wonderful! He does get to see fantastic things while out there though…always whales and dolphins and often big sharks (yikes, I could do without the sharks!) around his friend’s boat.

I just successfully finished my fast yesterday and am back down in the low 117’s, which is the lowest number I’ve seen since I think my early 30’s (and that was for a very short time too!). So a new 20 year low. We’ll see if I get the typical bounce back from today’s eating. I’m trying to keep it light~ not quite a fast but not quite regular eating either. I’m having a light brunch and dinner.

MM, how nice to have a good group of students this year. I bet it makes a big difference for you! What did you do on your sabbatical?

Cinque, how yummy! Freshly made bread! What type did you make? I try for that very reason (it was tempting to you) to only bake on my NFD’s or it makes me crazy! I did, however, yesterday make some yummy low carb/calorie zucchini and cheese biscuits that I was able to eat while fasting along with some roasted chicken and green beans. Made me not feel so deprived! That’s great that your daughter will be getting her driver’s license soon. I don’t know if you mentioned your son-in-law’s seizure before? That must be scary for him/you all not knowing what caused it yet! I’m hoping the docs figure it out soon and also how to prevent them in the future.

Lori, have a good FD!

Hi to all you other lovely ladies out there!

Sherry

Sherry, I hope to follow you down to 117s. I was flirting with 119 (at 5′ 1″) when I went on vacation. Oh well, I am now back down to pre-vacation 120.3, and starting the September challenge tomorrow.

Zucchini cheese biscuits?????

Hi K-Lo, I remember talking to you in the past about losing weight and being vertically challenged as we are! I’m rooting for you! You will get to 117 soon o’m sure! So now the lowarb zucchini drop biscuit recipe:

1 zucchini, shredded
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 cup almond flour
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1/4 cup parmesan,shredded
    3/4 cup cheddar, shredded
    1/4 tsp. salt
    dash pepper
    1/4 tsp. baking powder

mix all together, form 16 even dough balls (I flattened them slightly because otherwise too “ball”-like) and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 15-20 min or until browned. cool on wire rack.

They’re best warm with a little butter/ghee on top, otherwise can be a tad dry

Enjoy if you decide to make them! 🙂

Sherry

Yikes! Sorry for the above typos. I really need to check before I hit “send”! 😉

Hello!! I too have slipped on the non FDs this week but not too bad. I think my standards aren’t high enough reading about goals under 120! Wow!

Sherry, yes I’m glad for school to start except for the homework and the two hours of stuff after school and the getting up at six. I wish we could cut back on the dance for sure…and I wish they would start at a more civilized hour and reduce the homework. Then I would LOVE to be back. I don’t mind Laurel not being with some of her friends but she’s definitely the odd one out and that does bother me a bit. But she’s having a pretty good attitude about it and I think it will be a growing experience.

Cinque, there’s no way I could make bread and not eat it!!

K-Lo, 120 point anything is amazing!

Africa, you might try some simple guidelines for weekday non fast days. Mine are to eat either breakfast or lunch, to avoid carbs between meals and no sweets. The weekends are wide open. I have good luck when I can stick to that and it’s not really that difficult.

Lori, I bet the gain is temporary from the exercise!!!

MM–fingers crossed on the bed bug situation!

So great to hear of all of your successes!! And Lori I am right there with you…I can’t weigh daily either. If it doesn’t match with how good I feel, I get very down on myself. And I’m trying to be kind to myself. Over the years I’ve beaten myself up enough already!

Just had my bread for breakfast. Yum.
    I make no knead bread http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread and this one had sesame seeds and dark burgul added.

To all of you talking about slipping up on non fast days, well, those ARE the days to slip up on! I like your rules Carolina! Mine are similar.
    My theory is that practice makes perfect and we need to make mistakes to learn. If we keep making the same mistakes, it just means there is more learning to be done! Try not to feel bad. Just saw your post Cactus Rose, saying the same thing! (That said, I might have had more pieces of toast than strictly necessary 😉 )
    But it was yum, breakfast is done, and now I am not eating until lunchtime.

Lori best wishes for a particularly good fast day!

Sherry best wishes for a great fishing trip for your husband. I have just been looking through some delicious fish recipes. I’d like to cook more fish (but I am inexperienced, fish is expensive here, and I find it hard to work out which are endangered etc).

Woot for your lovely low scales number. It will be a pleasure to maintain!

I mightn’t have mentioned Nick’s seizure. Medications he was on set it off, so they were immediately adjusted, but it showed that he probably has very low level epilepsy and will need to be on medication. Until they have done all the tests and got it sorted out, he is not allowed to drive.

I had a very easy slow day yesterday, but now I am remembering all the things I am behind with. Fingers crossed today is a productive day!

Hello again!

Cactus Rose, I hear you on being kind to yourself! I weigh often but if I know I’ve done something to trigger water weight, I skip it. It’s too demoralizing to see five pounds up or something.

Cinque, that is scary about your son in law. I hope it gets sorted out easily. Dealing with the medical profession and medications is very difficult for me. I have a mammogram tomorrow and I’m dreading it a lot.

I’m hoping to walk with a friend this morning. I didn’t make my 10,000 steps yesterday because I went into the office and then we had some excitement in the evening. A man who lives on the road in front of our neighborhood had a calico kitten show up and he was trying to find the owner. He couldn’t bring it in because he has a Doberman…..so you can guess the rest! My daughter was in heaven! It is a very sweet and beautiful kitty and I feel sure the owners will be found because it has been spayed very recently and is obviously loved. Also, his house is across the road from a neighborhood that the cat could have come from by going through a pipe under the road.

Fast Day today!!!

Good Morning!

Another good FD yesterday! Got my 2 in for the week. Now to keep a reign on myself for my NFD’s! Went out for a 2.5 mile run/walk with my friend this morning. I really was not feeling it, but knew she was waiting for me, so off I went. Now that it’s done, I’m glad I did it. Scale was back down a bit this morning. Next weigh in will be after my next FD, which will be Monday.

The beginning of a new month! Scary to think that I retire next month! ACK!!! I am beyond ready and wish today were my last. My trainee is beginning to panic about the month end processing etc, but she will be fine.

Cinque…I wish I had a slice of your yummy bread for my NFD. Sigh……….

Off I go!

Another foggy morning in San Diego! This happens when our days are very hot and the nights cool.

Back up to 118 even this morning~ the expected bounce back for me the first NFD after a FD. Oh well! I did, however, have a crazy baking day making oatmeal/nut/dried fruit breakfast cookies for the kids as well as regular healthy low carb cookies for my diabetic kids. Of course there was sampling going on! 😉

Alas, my husband’s fishing trip was a bust. He did not catch a single fish and didn’t even see any exciting wild life while out. To boot our cell phones for home and office went offline because of an issue he had with our cell service and he was unreachable till 5:30pm because he was so far out in the ocean. I was NOT pleased!

Today is my second pilates session of the week, and he more pleasurable one as he really works on stretching me out. I need it!

Cinque, I too am inexperienced in cooking fish. I grew up with a mom who hated it and never cooked it so I only learned to like it a bit as I grew older. I wish I liked the healthy, fatty fish like salmon, but I don’t. Only the white fish for me. My husband cooks the fish in our family! The bread recipe sounds lovely and no kneading! That’s the part that I’ve never liked. I always think I’m going to mess it up!

Carolina, good luck on your fast today. I hope the owners of the kitty are soon found. Are you putting up posters? I’m sure your daughter would rather they not be found!

Lori, good job pushing through and doing your exercise even though you didn’t feel like it! That’s why it’s so great to have an exercise buddy to push you along!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Good morning,
    Well I am going to try a fish recipe every month! I know we are recommended to have fish twice a week, but once a month is up on NEVER!
    I am like you Sherry, I didn’t like salmon one time I tried it, although I surprised myself by liking sardines! But firm white fish fillets will be my area!

I hope you had/have a lovely pilates lesson.
    So sorry the fishing trip was a dud, although a day out on the water would have been good anyway!

Lori good work with fast days and that exercise. I am glad you were happy you pushed yourself, and it was nice for your friend too!

Good luck with your mammogram Carolina, I found my last one was easier with my 5:2 smaller boobs!

Thanks for all your good wishes for my son in law. He has a lot to contend with. They think he has had Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy since he was a teenager, but is only now getting it treated.

Ok, well the day has got going, so I had better get going too! Best wishes everyone!

Good Friday morning!

Enjoying a leisurely morning since I decided to take today off from exercise. Tomorrow is the “Insane Inflatable 5k” that 8 of us from boot camp are doing. Should be good for a few laughs. I was watching some of the videos of the different obstacles and am a bit worried about what I’ve gotten myself into! LOL! There are 11 different inflated obstacles over the 5k route that you must go over or through, climb up, slide down etc etc. It is a fund raiser for the American Cancer Society, so entry fee goes to a good cause.

Today will be quite boring at work. We did the reports we could do yesterday and now must wait for reports from corporate next week before we can continue on with our month end closing. Hurry up and wait!

Sunday will be spent just puttering around the house and then Monday(a holiday here) I’ll be on the golf course. Looking forward to a long weekend. Soon everyday will be a weekend! 😉 Retirement is coming fast now! Woohoo!

Have a lovely weekend my friends!

Hi all! I’m new here but not to the “diet.” I have been on the diet since one year and I hardly can recognize myself! I already was healthy but a bit on the heavy side and wanted to become even more healthier and loose some weight. I have. When I started the diet ( a year ago ) I was 78 kilo’s and my height is 1.58 cm. So too heavy and now I weigh 62 kilo’s. I don’t really excercise: just walk, work, swim a bit and ride the bicycle and laugh a lot! I also stopped drinking that “just one glass” of wine. :d I feel great and very grateful that I found this diet! I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Hello all.

Well, I was looking forward to the pest control inspector coming today and just got a call that he is out sick so cannot come till Tuesday! How depressing–another whole weekend of getting bitten, and not knowing what’s doing it.

Sherry, sorry your husband didn’t get a fish especially since it was his last outing for the summer. I laughed to read your thoughts and history on fish (Cinque too) since it was my experience exactly. My mother hated fish and never made it. I have learned to eat it over the years, but definitely prefer white fish. Have you ever had sand dabs? I get them whenever I’m in Carmel or Big Sur and they are the only fish I really like.

Good luck with the mammogram, Carolina.

I had a good fast Wednesday and am fasting again today. I’m trying this time to be really good about twice a week. I’m also lowering my carb intake on non-fasting days, given the success Lori and Sherry have had with that. But I was back in the doctor’s office yesterday and so far the scale refuses to budge. I’ll give it time.

Hope you all are having a lovely Friday.

MM

Hi ladies,

Just back from picking up the kids from school and getting “beautified” (hair cut/color). Heading to dinner tonight with some friends so that should be fun. Otherwise, uneventful hereabouts!

Still 118.0 and holding but I take solace in that because as the link Cinque shared said, the longer you maintain a weight, the better it sticks as a baseline. This is something I intuitively figured and have seen with myself anyhow, but nice to see science backing it up! Such better news than that we got a few months back about how almost every overweight person gains the weight back because their calorie needs decrease so much. That was depressing! But now we know…we just have to maintain that weight lost come Hell or high water for a year and it will become easier! 🙂

Cinque, I assume there’s a medication your son-in-law will have to take from now on to insure there will be no more seizures? Praying it all works out for him! Best of luck on your “cook a new fish recipe once a month challenge”! Keep me apprised! If anything turns out particularly well/was easy, maybe I’ll give it a go!

Carolina, I feel for you with re: to mamo’s (aka the boob squisher!). I’m like you, avoiding doctors and I know I shouldn’t be. I’m a couple years behind on my annuals and mamo’s and need to get on the ball. Partly this is due to being in and out of hospitals and dr’s offices with my diabetic kids so much over the last 2 years. Also, because I underwent so many rounds of IVF years ago, my gyno likes me to get an annual ultrasound of my ovaries just to make sure they’re ok since I was exposed to so many hormones, etc. at that time. So much fun all of that poking and prodding we go through. Sort of on this subject, re: colonoscopies, have you all had them? I do not want to go through that because my acupuncturist, who researched the best docs in our area, went to a top one and ended up with a major infection for many months, she thinks because the machine was not cleaned properly! Do any of you just do the fecal test? I know it’s not quite as accurate. I heard in other countries that they have a procedure where you can swallow a small camera that will take pics of your insides instead of the undergoing the regular colonoscopy.

Lori, have fun on your obstacle course run. At least you are always challenging yourself! It’s never boring! 😉

Hi Indestructible, congrats on doing so well! Welcome!

MM, good job getting in your two fasts per week. I will probably be doing my second of the week tomorrow. I think lowering your carbs on NFD’s can only help. No, I’ve never heard of/had sand dabs. Will have to look those up!

Have a great weekend!

Hello….

Indestructible, wow! Thanks for the inspiration. Congratulations. We’ll have to learn your tips.

MM, so sorry about the pest guy. That would be driving me nuts as well. Congrats on completing the fasts though!!

Cinque, I love fish and seafood although I didn’t grow up with it either. There are a few exceptions–scallops and herring and chewy things like softshell crab. I like almost all food, which is the problem! Other than cream of wheat, some meats and fakey junky food, I like it all.

Lori, enjoy the golf. The weather here looks nice!!!

Sherry, I have not done the colonoscopy. I’ve been looking into it and can see both sides. There is a slight risk of perforation, it’s extremely invasive and I’m sure it would trigger a migraine from hell. I know I have no family history and my lifestyle isn’t really a factor so I’m not quite convinced! I know it’s called the gold standard but the fecal test seems to be acceptable. I’m leaning toward doing it even though it’s recommended to do it more often.

Good news, bad news for food–I’ve been using my fitbit and have met my goal all week!!! And we just got back from our town’s main street festival and ate lots of festival food!! And tomorrow is a party…..

Good Morning!

Up early having a quick cup of coffee before meeting my friends to drive 1.5 hrs to this crazy race! I had a horrible, dizzy headache yesterday afternoon & evening and have the remnants of that hanging on..ugh. 🙁 I think it may be sinus pressure, so I’m going to take a sinus capsule before heading out. The way I felt last night, there is no way I could have done the race had it not eased. Maybe it’s the pressure from the approaching hurricane coming up the coast? We are far enough inland that we won’t be affected. Whew!

Hope you all have a nice weekend. I will pop in and let you know that I survived climbing over the obstacles while running a 5k! Have I lost my mind? LOL!

Hello Indestructable Flower. What a great username! Welcome here!
    What a lovely year you have had!
    Did you know other people who were doing 5:2 over the last year?

Hello everyone else! I have had a day of a tummy bug yesterday, not too bad but tummy pains and feeling whacked today. I am fasting anyway!

In Australia women are encouraged to have a mammogram every two years once you are 50. It is a free scheme and you get reminders etc. No colonoscopy though, I think they are based on risk factors.

I hope your sinusitis went away Lori!

Carolina, congratulations for reaching your fitbit goals! I hope you have a lovely festival!

Best wishes to everyone!

Hi all, back from my 5 week trip to the UK visiting family and friends.
    Can’t say I stuck to the program at all, as I explained when I left my aunt who I was staying with has an eating disorder so fasting wasn’t an option.
    But happy to say that at the end I actually lost 300gms !!! Hahaha Better than gaining. Must have been all the walking I did which counteracted all the tea and cakes we were eating 😁
    Haven’t read all your posts yet but welcome to all the new people. Great to hear your journeys, stick with the program it’s well worth it for your overall health if nothing else.
    Love Tilly xx

Good Morning!

I made it thru the “Insane Inflatable 5k”! It was fun, but since the course was on a ski resort, the “running” part was more like climbing the mountain! I’m feeling it in my hips this morning. Of course, that could also be from sliding so fast down some of the inflatables that we flew off the end and landed on our butts on the ground! LOL!

I gave myself the day off from worrying about what I ate yesterday, but must be more mindful today. Too many carbs yesterday have me feeling “tubby” and bloated.

My headache has not come back…thank goodness. I took sinus capsules before I left yesterday and they made me so dry during the race. When we got to the water stop, I downed 2 cups! Oh well, it was better than having a headache.

Off to the golf course today….have a good one!

Happy Sunday ladies!

Just back from a day spent at the San Diego Safari park with the 3 younger kids (teenager is too “cool” and bored to do that). It’s so much nicer a place to view animals than our “world famous” San Diego Zoo. The animals are in a much more natural, beautiful habitat. Lori, it’s a must see when you make it to San Diego next year.

So far, my eating, including at the park, was good today. Trying to yet again to maintain the loss after my fast yesterday- a new low of 117.2, so it keeps inching down each time I fast. Staying in the 117’s is the hard part. I have a nice Mediterranean Turkey breast with Greek spices, Kalamata olives, and sundried tomatoes in the slowcooker for tonight so that should keep me on plan.

Carolina, I’m leaning your way toward just getting the test. I feel the other is too invasive and potentially risky for me personally. I hope the festival food didn’t cause too much damage today! If so, fast tomorrow! 😉

Cinque, hope your tummy bug has disappeared! Not fun!

Tilly, great job actually losing while on that 5 week vacation! Glad to have you back!

Lori, congrats on finishing your 5k and sorry for the sore bum!

Hi to everyone else! I’m off to get ready for two little girls coming over for dinner and a sleepover soon!

Sherry

Hello Tilly! Welcome home. It is good to see you here. Congratulations on losing weight without really trying! Are you looking forward to getting back into 5:2? Or ready to coast a bit?

I am feeling fine this morning! So nice! The two early mornings were worse than the tummy pains, but I have recovered from both. Woot!

Sherry, good luck for that fine tuning re maintenance. I think it is all about continual small adjustments now (you have got up on the surfboard, now just need to stay up!). Your slowcooker dish sounds just delicious!

Great to hear about all the outdoors fun Lori and Sherry!

My fast day was yesterday, and now I have two or three non fast days. Hmm, I like to be organised so I had better plan whether to fast Wednesday or Thursday. Thinking, thinking….

Hi Cinque,
    Nice to be home, five weeks is a long time to be away from your husband and family. Won’t do that again!!

Starting off on the right foot, fast day today and I started back at the gym this morning. Scheduled a walk and a healthy breakfast with my walking group friends for tomorrow.
    Looking forward to getting back on track with 5:2 😉
    Cheers
    Tilly x

Good Morning!

Enjoying a quiet Monday morning at home. This is the Labor Day holiday here in the US. I’ll be heading to the golf course a bit later. My golf day got cut short yesterday when my friend got a call that her Father was on the way to the hospital with chest pains. She sent me a text later yesterday that it was not a heart attack and that he will be fine. I expect to see her later today.

My eating has been all over the place. I’ll have a proper FD tomorrow and try to get back on track. Sigh……

Back to work tomorrow, for 24 more days!

Enjoy your day!

Happy Labor Day U.S. ladies and happy start of the week for the rest of you!

Just got rid of the sleepover kids and took a walk. Expecting a lazy day here other than cleaning out one of our freezers (not fun!).

I’m happy to report that the 117.2 stuck for today at least. YAY! Would be so nice for that to be my new baseline for a while.

Cinque, so glad the tummy troubles are gone and that you’re feeling so well! And the slow cooker turkey was soooo delicious!

Tilly, good job jumping right back in!

Lori, glad your friend’s dad is ok- that must have been so scary. Best of luck getting your eating back on track. These holiday weekends can be tough!

Time to get the day going! 🙂

Hi all. Today’s another fast day for me. It’s also a work day, as our university does not recognize Labor day. That makes it easier to fast, which I must do today. My birthday is on Wednesday and I already have social events (not all for me :)) every day of this week till Saturday! So today and Saturday it will be.

Tilly, I’ve just jumped back into the 5:2 plan myself after a big chunk of the summer off as well. I’m trying hard this time to make sure I get those two days in every week.

Cinque, glad you are feeling better. I had a bit of tummy trouble myself yesterday. Much better today. I felt better to think that perhaps a few “pre-birthday” treats that I had on Saturday went right through without detouring to my thighs.

Sherry, congrats on the 117s! Perhaps your body needs to settle out there for a bit before you go after those last two lbs.

Here’s a question for you all. Do you stick with 500 as the count for fast days or do you go with 1/4 of whatever your TDEE is? My TDEE is around 1600 so 1/4 of that would be only 400 cals. for fast days.

Pest guy comes tomorrow! Perhaps the little critters know that–I haven’t gotten any bites in the last two days.

MM

Hi all. Today’s another fast day for me. It’s also a work day, as our university does not recognize Labor day. That makes it easier to fast, which I must do today. My birthday is on Wednesday and I already have social events (not all for me :)) every day of this week till Saturday! So today and Saturday it will be.

Tilly, I’ve just jumped back into the 5:2 plan myself after a big chunk of the summer off. I’m trying hard this time to make sure I get those two days in every week.

Cinque, glad you are feeling better. I had a bit of tummy trouble myself yesterday. Much better today. I felt better to think that perhaps a few “pre-birthday” treats that I had on Saturday went right through without detouring to my thighs.

Sherry, congrats on the 117s! Perhaps your body needs to settle out there for a bit before you go after those last two lbs.

Here’s a question for you all. Do you stick with 500 as the count for fast days or do you go with 1/4 of whatever your TDEE is? My TDEE is around 1600 so 1/4 of that would be only 400 calories for fast days.

Pest control guy comes tomorrow! Perhaps the little critters know that–I haven’t gotten any bites in the last two days. It’s been blissful to sleep through the night.

MM

Go Tilly!
    All power to you!

Happy Holiday for Labor Day, those who are celebrating it by enjoying a day without too much labour!

Minn, hooray for no bites!

Short post from me! It is a sunny morning and I am looking forward to a good normal eating day, and a decision on whether I fast tomorrow or Thursday!

Hi all. I am 64. Today is the first ast day. I chose Mon and thurs. I’m not sure that I am doing it right. I had beakfast at 9:30 am and am eating dinner at 9:30 pm. Is this correct?

Hi Linda and welcome:

As you can eat as often and at any times you want on your diet days, eating when you chose to eat is fine. But is not required.

This thread will answer most of your questions: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Linda,

There is no set way of doing this. The “best” way is any way that ensures that you are most likely to stick with it. So if that means one meal at breakfast, or lunch or dinner, or breaking it up into two small meals etc. then do it however you want so long as its easy for you to do. the trick is to come up with a pattern that is easy for you!! Try it several different ways and see what works FOR you.

Hi everyone and welcome to the newbies.

MM.. an early Happy Birthday wish for you. I hope you have a great day.. another Virgo!
    Sorry I have been AWOL for a while, but I am travelling for work again. This month is going to be a little crazy. Lori.. you will be off the hook so soon. lucky girl.

So much has been going on this week while I was away, I enjoyed reading everyone’s posts.

Weight-wise, I am up again.. this travelling business makes it so much harder to stick to a reasonable eating (or fasting) plan. I am 3 Kgs away from where I wanted to be by the end of August.. I had intended to spend Sep and Oct on maintenance before trying to bring the weight down further, but now, I have to try to get down to 80 this month. This has been a struggle for me the past two years, but I am still amazed that I am sticking it out. Ordinarily, I would have just given up. I think all the support I have had here has been instrumental. Thank you ladies, especially the ‘regulars’

e. the colonoscopy issue, I had the test about 5 years ago. I was really worried about it and thought it would be very unpleasant, but apart from the indignity of it, it was fine. What was horrible is the medicine t hey give you a day before which induces horrible diarrhea and bloating. Still, it was only for only one evening. I would recommend that you do the testing. The brother of a friend of mine recently discovered he had colon cancer and had to have the entire colon removed, chemo, the works. He had not gotten tested and had no symptoms. I say, better be safe than sorry.. just my opinion.

Have a great one ladies,
    Salma

Salma, I can only concur with what you said about Colonoscopies. I have a family history of bowel cancer and bowel problems so have had a colonoscopy every 4 years by my own choice for the past 12 years. Thankfully they haven’t detected anything nasty but it’s better to be safe than sorry. The worst part of them is the prep they give you prior to the test which is foul to say the least 😬 But it’s short lived.
    On my second fast day today, thought I’d do two in a row to kickstart the program again. Didn’t do too badly yesterday, feeling very hungry this morning but had a solid breakfast of muesli and fruit and just had a protein shake at 3pm. Hope that will tide me over until tomorrow. 😛
    Welcome to Linda too 😊
    Cheers
    Tilly x

Hi all. I too am in my 50s and have read about the 5:2 diet, I have watched Michael Mosley talk about it on the television and am now going to start. I have no will power so am hoping that this forum will help me. I need to lose 12 – 15 kg. I know it will take quite a while but am determined to do it with your help. Thanks.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,051 through 4,100 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.