Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 5,077 total)

• CactusRose….that is it exactly!! Reverse dieting is just a way to rest your metabolism. Apparently you can “train” your body to lose weight without starving yourself…who knew!? I will look up info on EM2LW for sure. Thanks!

Salma!! So good to see you! I hope you’ve had a fabulous time and wish you safe travels home. You will get back in the swing of things in short order, I’m sure.

Sherry….are you off on your next adventure? Congrats on the low number on the scale! I could be a skeleton and weigh more than 118!!

Cinque……how are you doing? You are always so steady with your fasting……kudos to you.

I had a great time at the golf tournament yesterday. I played well and am looking forward to the weekend to see if I can keep the good play going. One never knows.

I have spent the bulk of today cleaning out my office. It is amazing what one can accumulate in 30+ years! I wanted the new girl to have a nice empty office to make her own when she comes in on Monday.

I did get a little “teary” while going thru drawers etc. It feels funny to have 30 years of my life condensed into a cardboard box. Let the next phase of my life begin!

Have a lovely weekend my friends!

Good morning from another cold spell in Melbourne! Hooray for heaters, lovely warm clothes, and hot cuppas!

Sherry, this is my year! 🙂 International Year of Pulses! It is lovely that you thought of me!
    The latest thing I have got into are chickpea pancakes (socca) I add parsley and grated veggies and cook them very thin.

In that kiosk the only bit of equipment they have is a pie warmer (the one thing we would probably never use). There are 5 double power points and a special power point for a big coffee machine. (And piles of boxes etc nearly up to the ceiling that they have put in their for storage).

So we will need to find a fridge, a coffee machine, and then the easiest something else we can use for a healthy snack/light lunch. I had a meeting with a chef who has worked for us previously, and he is keen to help. At the moment we are thinking we will start with wraps and sandwiches (plain and toasted). Wholegrain bread and wraps. But I would still prefer something else. We will see.. Soup is definitely what I would love us to serve. Especially in winter!

Congratulations on your scales success Sherry! That feeling of control is such a wonderful relief, I agree! It makes everything in life feel better! And you have 6 years of enjoying it before you catch up to my age!
    I hope your pilates class was good! And the dinner meeting!

Salma! Big hugs! It feels like ages since you were here! I figured you were off having fun, not that you thought we were silent!
    But hooray, it seems like you are having fun. And I am SO glad your parents are having a good time too! I hope it can keep rolling with them when they get home again, and with you too!

Sensible to put those good health things in place for when you get back home, and Oh dear you will be cast into that negative workplace again. I hope you have a lot of strength and resilience from this good time to keep you strong, (Oh dear maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned it! ). Won’t it be nice when you can move on from it!

Hello!

Wow–I can’t keep up. We’re leaving Sunday morning for our big trip!! I haven’t been doing that great but I haven’t lost too much ground either. I’ll see if I can check in a time or two while we’re gone.

Best of luck to all!

Part 2 😉

Hi Cactus Rose,
    What a hero you are managing those 12 hour shifts! So glad you get here when you can!

Hi Lori, wow! Cleaning out that office! What a huge thing to do. It is a special changing-over time, and I know how nice it can be to have little rituals and ceremonies to mark the change. Clearing out the drawers is one. I will add my bit by lighting a candle, dedicated to your step over the threshold to a new part of your life!

Cheers for that excellent golfing!

That reverse dieting and EM2LW does my head in! But it seems very much out of the body building lifestyle and research (rather than the sedentary chronic illness world of mine 😉 ).
    Having a metabolism reset sounds just the thing!
    I have read that extreme dieting can slow down the metabolism too much, but hopefully 5:2 doesn’t do that.

Keeping steady with 5:2 is definitely my thing!
    And getting ready to do it again tomorrow!

Best wishes to you all!

Part 3

Hi Carolina!
    You are a winner by doing what you can!
    Make the most of that big trip! We will love to hear how it is going, if you get the chance!

Cinque.. Thank you for the candle. I will focus on the flame when seeds of worry and doubt try to creep in. I am excited and terrified at the same time!

As far as I have read, 5:2 does not in and of itself slow the metabolism. But I think sometimes we think more is better…if I lose weight cutting calories, maybe I should cut calories every day, and still fast two days a week. That’s why the calculator incorporates activity level into the non fasting days. So we don’t undereat on a consistent basis.

Have a lovely weekend all. Working the weekend so I’ll catch up next week.

Hello Fast Friends!

OMG this website drives me bonkers! 🙁 As most of you probably know, if you’re typing a message and scroll over to the prior page to read someone’s post (for me, Salma’s!), you lose everything you typed prior. AHHHH!

Anyhow, took a late HOT walk this morn because I was up till 1:30 in the morn with one of my diabetic daughters giving her carbs because she was low and getting her to drink water because her legs were tingling uncontrollably and figured out with this extreme heat we’ve been having that she’d gotten dehydrated…not good for any of us but especially not good for diabetics.

Later today we are headed to the beach for some swimming and a bonfire with extended family…IF we can find parking! Always a challenge on a hot weekend!

Lori, I wrote a long post about that I can understand how sentimental it must be after 30 yrs to pack it all up but what a wonderful adventure/life you have ahead of you! How exciting! Your time will soon be so filled with golf, lunches with friends, etc. that you’ll wonder where the time goes! For some reason I thought you weren’t retiring until October? So is Monday your official last day then? When does the hubby retire?

Cinque, I was thinking of wraps for your little kitchen! What about those portable burners for the soup? And yes, at the moment, life does feel better! Lord knows we have enough challenges to deal with in this life and without the weight hanging over you, it all seems much more do-able somehow! Fingers forever crossed that this sticks for me.

Salma, great to hear from you. Sounds wonderful…a Greek villa, men cooking for you, relaxing…what could be better?! So smart to have a plan in place to take care of any excesses when you return! As I always say, “easy/quickly on, easy/quickly off” with those pounds. It’s when we let them sit and solidify for a while that they stick! It worked for me doing that cleanse right away when I returned from my 23 day trip!

Carolina, best of luck on the final packing and have a wonderful time! If you don’t have a chance to check in, talk to you when you return!

I’ll have to look into that EM2LW, but if it’s confusing as Cinque says, I might just avoid it since I’m doing OK right now and why mess with a good thing, right? 😉

Have a great weekend all! 🙂

Cactus rose, I meant to say “hi” to you too! 🙂 I’m hoping you’re doing well and hitting your stride. 12 hour days! UGH! You’re my hero! Don’t know if I could do it! 😉

You are correct Sherry. I retire October 7. I will be training my replacement until then.

Just came home from the golf course. 97F whew it’s hot! I’ll be back at it tomorrow.

Hope you’re having a good weekend everyone.

Hello! It is Sunday morning here. Sunny and very cold!

Fast day, yay! Yesterday I just wanted to eat all day. I ate good things, but an awful lot of them, I think I need today’s fast day to just balance it out!

Sherry, I know! I click the previous page in a new tab and then accidentally start writing at the bottom of that page too! And go back and forward checking what people have said!
    Lucky we have this big long page before it happens again!

I hope you had a wonderful night with the beach and bonfire, after the worry and drama of the night before. Dehydration is a nasty thing, even without diabetes! I have to watch out too.

I’m glad that wraps and soup came to your mind too! I will talk it over with my nieghbour, who conveniently runs a cafe, tomorrow. He should have a good perspective and lots of tips.

Lori, take lots of water on your golf course day! I hope it isn’t as hot tomorrow. Hit lots of balls into holes!!!

And I so hope that the new ‘you’ at work is great fun, and your last couple of months are the best!

Cheers!

Hiya girls,

Last day of the family holiday.. we go back today and arrive early Monday morning.
    So much has been going on.. Lori, I can’t believe more than a year has passed since you told us about your upcoming retirement. It must be a very emotional time for you, but just thinking about your irritating boss must make it easier. He will be someone else’s problem from October onwards.. and October is just around the corner.

I seriously think they should fix these glitches on this site. The same thing has happened with me so many times and it is very irritating when you have spent the best part of 20 minutes writing something only to see it evaporate into thin air.

Sherry, nice to know you are back into the swing of things after your long sojourn.. it gives me hope and Cinque.. I think you are a hero to follow your dream with YamDaisy. I keep threatening to leave my job and start my own business, but never have (so far).

CactusRose.. so nice to see you here and Carolina, I hope you have a wonderful vacation.
    All this talk about resetting your metabolism has got me very curious. Can someone point me in the right direction to do some reading about it?

Salma

Good Morning!

Yes, this retirement thing is sneaking up on me. I go thru times of elation and times of apprehension. Ah well….it is happening and I will move on to the next phase of my life. I know I will love it, but sometimes the doubt creeps in. I have crunched the numbers and I’m sure we’ll be fine, but then I start overthinking. Round and round I go.

As far as the metabolism reset. The site eatmore2weighless.com has a metabolism reset guide link about halfway down the page. I also like the site coachcalorie.com if you search the archives for reverse dieting, you’ll find his article on it.

Salma..have a safe trip home and hope your return to work is not too stressful. That is one of the things I sure won’t miss..coming back after vacation to a desk piled high and mistakes to correct!

Off to the golf course again today. It is going to be another hot day.

Later!

A quick hello at the end of a huge day. I think I’ll be in bed by 8 o clock.

The Expression of Interest is in for the Foyer/kiosk Space, but now I am worried we didn’t do enough. Oh well it is all a learning experience.

Good day yesterday fasting. Great day today apart from buying a packet of chips when I was so tired, and eating enough of them to be filled with regret. What did I say about learning experiences?

Salma are you home yet? I hope it was a good trip, and that the happy memories keep you all going.

Lori, those chips I ate too many of, maybe they were a metabolism reset!

Good night!

Update: Two weeks in…

No weight loss this week, but maintained the 4 pound loss from the first week so total loss is 4 pounds.

Measurements:
    Waist: lost 1 inch
    Hips: lost 1/2 inch
    Thighs: lost 1/4 inch
    Calf: lost 1/2 inch
    Neck: lost 1 and 1/2 inch

Will be measuring and weighing in every week the day after the second fasting day of the week.

Hope all of you are having a lovely start to your week. Now to read the posts I have missed from the weekend…

Hello to all,

Thanks Lori for posting about the metabolism reset. Didn’t know about the coachcalorie.com, will check it out.

Sherry, what cleanse did you do after your vacation? Try as I might, I find vacations particularly challenging to not overeat. Perhaps this year will be the year I am not obsessed by thoughts of yummy foods I don’t usually eat…I keep trying!

Sherry, Also absolutely don’t worry about the metabolism reset unless you stall for a very long time. Or have extreme diet fatigue. I had both when I looked into a reset. If this is working for you stay with it girl!

This 5:2 WOE is really fabulous in every way, especially for health. I will say the metabolism reset really improved my relationship with food, and in general I feel more peaceful. The downside about a metabolism reset that I experienced was a bit of a weight gain and worsening of cardiac profile. The HUGE up side to that was I realized how much I love fasting for health. When I was fasting EOD at 800 calories, my cardiac profile was PERFECT. Heart age: 43 when I was 53 years old. Now at 55, my heart age is 65!!! Thus back to fasting twice a week which seems quite manageable to me instead of EOD. By doing a metabolism reset I learned how valuable fasting is for weight loss and health…so here I am again.

A note about losing your posts…other forums have that issue too. Before I leave any page or submit my post, I always copy my entire post in case it disappears. So much less frustration in my life now!

Hello my friends!

I’m taking a break in the midst of the crazy packing of the motorhome for our trip to say a quick “hi” and “bye”! My what a whirl wind of travel this summer has turned out to be. Equal parts fun and exhaustion!

Cinque, I was laughing about those chips that you ate! Remember my post a few days back about Having chips and eating just the “folded” shaped ones, and then moving on to the “puffy” ones until I’d eaten waaaay too much! It happens…we move on! I hope your project still works out Ok despite you not feeling enough was done! Thank you for thinking of my girls’ diabetes…I will be sure to read through it on the long trip to the campsite tomorrow!

Cactusrose, congrats on the great weight and inches lost! Hooray for you! I’m happy for you that you’re how more at peace with food…now for getting back to that health profile you were at not too long ago! You will do it!

Hi to Lori and Salma too and all you other ladies reading this! I will chat with you again soon! 🙂

Hugs!

Sherry

Good Morning!

Well, I made it thru the first day of training. I was SO exhausted by the end of the day. I hadn’t slept well Sunday night, then got up and did boot camp and then off to work where I was on my feet nearly all day. The new girl is very nice and I think she’ll catch on and do well.

I didn’t have time to eat much yesterday….a benefit of being busy! I’m sure we’ll be quite busy each day for the foreseeable future. What would take me an hour takes much longer when you have to explain everything. I was so tired of talking by the time I got home last night! What I have to guard against is worrying myself to death over every detail! I had no one to teach me every detail and I figured it out as I went along…so will she.

Today was supposed to be a running day with my friend, but she has pulled a muscle in her calf and is on crutches! We were at boot camp yesterday and all the sudden she grabbed her lower leg. She said she felt something snap in her calf….not good. She went to the ER and she texted me later and said she “messed up” her muscle, whatever that means. So….I’ve lost my running buddy. I really don’t like going alone, but if I want to continue my training, I’ll have to. Today just was not the day. 😉

Have fun Sherry….hope you have good camping weather!

Hugs to you all…..have a great day!

Hello everyone,

Sherry I did think of you with those chips! I wasn’t as organised in my eating as you, but at least I did really enjoy them.

Lori, teaching is exhausting, but it is as you say, she will work it out (and if she doesn’t she can ask the boss 😉 )
    I hope your friend’s messed up muscle heals easily. So glad it wasn’t a tendon snapping!
    What extraordinary thing are you going to think of doing in the meantime?

Cactus, I am glad you found 5:2, it is just lovely how DOABLE it is. I feel like it is the way I was designed to eat, and it is just a pity I didn’t know forty years ago!

Best wishes everyone!

Hi ladies,

So.. I am back home and yesterday was supposed to be an FD/Detox.. NOT!
    I had planned everything so carefully, but got a massive dose of the post-holiday blues.. and dreading going back to work. I did not go into work on Monday and basically went all out foodwise. Hamburger, beer, chocolate ice cream with cream.. the works. I had the box of yesterday’s (liquid) meals delivered to me and I just stuffed everything in the freezer so I don’t have to look at them and feel guilty. Needless to say, I did not get on the scales..

Today, I am a reformed person. I am following the detox (I figured, just one day late). .Of course, having eaten so much yesterday, I am very hungry, but I deserve it! I also have a bit of a cold still lingering, so I cancelled the first session of the Pilates on Wednesday, but will definitely start on Friday.

At the moment, I am not too proud of my performance. So much good work gets undone in the flash of an eye. Yikes!

Sherry.. best wishes for a wonderful vacation. Cactus, congrats on the loss and impressive results. Lori.. I feel ya, but still jealous of your impending retirement.I wish.. I wish..I wish..

So, tomorrow I can tell you what the real damage was. Here’s hoping it is not undoable by the end of August plus some (I had promised myself to be down to 80 by then.

Have a great day girls,
    Salma

Hi girls,

Cinque, just had the chance to read the info u sent me re: latest in type 1 diabetes research as we bump along down the road on our motorhome- such great info! I’m wondering if it’s the same or different technology from a study we were told is being done where pancreatic stem cells are being implanted in areas such as under skin of the arm & they are covered by a protective mesh that doesn’t allow the body’s killer T cells to attack while they produce insulin. The study u sent me sounds as though they’ve actually created an insulin producing organ that they attach inside the abdomen ? Amazing! The hopeful thing is the docs feel very certain there will b a cure in their lifetime!

Lori, so sorry your partner is out for the count! Bummer! Well, u must keep it up w/our her! Don’t lose your momentum! If you’re stuck training the new gal for the next 3 mo’s, it’s great that she’s at least nice! 😉

Salma, I know how that goes! I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I tend to overeat sometimes more when I return from a trip because there’s a let down after all that fun & then there’s the impending doom of returning to work! Whatever the damage, you’re back on plan now & you’ll be ok! “Just keep swimming” as Dory says! 😉

Ok, it’s getting far too bumpy on this road – I’m signing off for now! Have a good one girls!

Salma, Yay for you, keeping the blow-out behaviour to just one day, and getting into the detox today. That is ok! Don’t beat yourself up.

I hope you find the detox diet perfect for getting over your cold, back into work, looking after your parents (fingers crossed they don’t have a blowout of their own after coming home). And that pilates will be wonderful when you are ready for them (well, they are plural aren’t they? 😉 )

Sherry what a lovely message from you in transit. Fingers crossed that Diabetes 1 research keeps coming along in leaps and bounds.

There is a new person on site who has just begun 5:2 with 30 years of Diabetes 1 under his belt. He has to be very careful. I gave an invite to this group if he wants company as he is 50’s!

Well, I’m off to do lots of paperwork. I need Lori here to train me!

Best wishes for a great day everyone!

Morning All,

Apologies for not commenting recently, I have been away a lot with limited internet access. Everyone has been so busy and doing so well (I have been keeping up via email) in facing their challenges, I salute you all!

I am here for a bit of a rant today, sometimes I think my body and scales conspire against me!

I have been really, really, good over the past two weeks, especially whilst I have been away and I feel physically an improvement in my weight and measurements has taken place, BUT, my scales are being stubborn and either my tape measure has suddenly moved everything over, or I truly have lost no inches, in fact I have gained half an inch on my waist and hip measurements!

And can someone please tell me how, having persuaded my scales to tell me I am 181.75 lb this morning first thing, when I double checked (having had a cup of coffee) I am now 183.25 lb! Does 1 half-pint of coffee REALLY weigh 1.5 lb?

My body and scales always seem to do this to me at a milestone point – in this case the magic 13 stone or 182 lb – I want to break that so I am in the 12 stone zone – so now I have been stuck at 183.25 for two weeks…. There are days, weeks, when I despair!

Ok, rant over. Thanks for reading / listening – I know everyone here has had days and weeks like this and I will reap benefits eventually, maybe I’ve been too good for the past couple of weeks and I need to relax and eat a bit more to let my body wake up and realise it needs to burn the fat, not store it 🙁

Finally a good night’s sleep! I had another super busy day yesterday, and came straight home and grabbed a beer from the fridge! Ahh….I needed that. 😉 The new girl and I are getting along great and mix some laughs in with the stress of training/learning.

I didn’t weigh myself this morning….didn’t need the added stress. I “feel” thin…I’m going to run with that feeling! I understand the scale conspiring against you comment..mine does too!

I’ll be heading to boot camp in a few minutes. I kind of overslept, so I have to hurry a bit. I don’t have time to post here during the day, so wanted to pop in first thing this morning and check on you all.

Off I go….have a good day.

Hi all, sounds like you’ve all been busy like me.
    Heading off on my trip to the UK Sunday night so busy getting packed and the house organized for my husband and son I’m leaving behind. My husband keeps asking how many meals I’ve prepared for them whilst I’m away, I just laugh 😜😜😜😜
    Been going really well with my 5:2. The weight is heading in the right direction for the most part although like others it does jump inexplicably 😳 Very frustrating but the general trend is down so that’s good. We will see how I go whilst away, will try really hard to at least maintain !! Fingers crossed
    As Sherryann said ‘just keep swimming’ hahaha

GreyMumma, you would expect the scientific piece of equipment to be a bit less temperamental, wouldn’t you? Roll your eyes and keep on keeping on. Soon you will be saying good bye to the 13 stones forever.

Best wishes for your trip Tilly and cheers for your 5:2ing. The general trend downward is all you need! Good luck managing while you are away. It can be so tricky.

Lori I’m glad the new girl is good company, it will make the end of your time there so much more enjoyable. Yay for feeling thin!

Fast day for me today. Enjoying my morning cups of tea!

Good morning everyone..

I, like both Cinque and GreyMummy, hate scales.. that’s official!
    I am following my detox week and am in my 3rd day on it. So far so good. I think I am back only slightly over my pre-vacation weight but I also know that the MINUTE I eat anything outside the range of ok, it will boing up by a couple fo kilos. So frustrating.

My nutritionist will give me a couple of days break before starting me on a high protein version of the diet. Remember, I was doing all this as a trial to jog my weight out of its complacency. I do not imagine this is sustainable long term, but I wanted the psychological boost of going to 80 Kg or even below by my birthday (end August), so it is all out to get there. After that, I will revert to the Vanilla 5:2 as I think it is so much more sustainable, enjoyable and doable than anything else. In fact, what I am on right now is an ameliorated version of the 5;2 because you get two days of all liquid food which does not amount to more than 500 cals per day, then you eat a vegetarian, high nutrient diet for the next 5 days. Each days calories amounts to between 1100 and 1300 but highly nutritious food and no allowances for coffee or tea or alcohol,etc. You do feel lighter and better after dealing with the inevitable headache of stopping caffeine. I am told that the 13-day protein diet will produce impressive results. We’ll see.

In the meantime, I am starting Pilates on Friday and will report how that goes. I have not managed to start my walking program yet as it is sweltering hot and very very very humid. yuk!

I hope y’all are having a great day.

Salma

Good Morning!

Had a rough night here. I was awake from 1:30 until 3 or so with my mind just whirling. Thinking about work, worrying about the declining health of my husband’s cousin. He has taken care of her for years. She is 87 and has some alarming symptoms occurring. My husband took her to the Dr on Tuesday and now they want to do a CT scan on this coming Monday. She lives alone in a huge old house and luckily, she still has her mental faculties. She has severe mobility issues. She was never married and we are her only family. I fear we have a sad time in front of us quite soon. Ah well….part of life.

On a positive note, I stepped on the scale this morning and saw a new lower number. I don’t suppose it will hold, but I saw it! I haven’t been eating much this week and I’m on my feet ALL day. I pace around the office while the new girl does the work. I get her started and then let her give it a go and if she needs guidance, I’m there. She is very trainable and eager to learn.

Sorry for not doing personals. It’s hard for me to keep up when I am only able to check in once a day. Thinking of you all and hoping you are well.

Good morning,
    Day after fast day.
    Just had breakfast!

Salma, all power to you with the detox parcels and pilates today (once it is today your time!). Won’t it be lovely to get under that 80 kg!

Lori, I am so sorry to hear about your husbands relative. It is part of life, a very precious and painful part of life. Thinking of you all.

I hope today is easier and tonight is more restful.

Best wishes everyone.

Hooray for lower numbers and good fasting days! I lost another pound as well and another cumulative 2.5 inches. I measure everything mind you so I stay motivated. And feeling better and more energetic.

Good weekend to you all.

Cheers and congratulations CactusRose!
    I got the peanut munchies on Thursday, so yesterday I ate very sensibly and today I am fasting. It does feel good!

Best wishes to you all!

Good Morning!

Another weekend has flown by! I spent it on the golf course and it was hot, hot, hot! Stayed hydrated and enjoyed myself despite the heat. A nice cool shower sure felt good when I got home!

Another busy day at work. End of the month and all that. My head spins with all the things I have to share. I’m trying not to get too stressed, as they will figure out what they need to do, just like I did. Rock on October 7!

The scale is at my lowest recorded weight, so that’s good. Now to chip away at this hard lard that is reluctant to budge.

My husband takes his elderly cousin for her CT scan this afternoon. We are afraid that the diagnosis will be lung cancer, based on her symptoms. My Mother in law died of lung cancer 11 years ago and we recognize the signs. Our only concern is that we take good care of her and we will do what needs to be done.

Well, time to head to boot camp. I didn’t have a great night’s sleep, but I’ll make it thru. Busy Monday ahead!

Hugs to you all!

Good morning ladies.

Huh! Another post evaporating into thin air. I submitted a post yesterday but cannot find it anywhere.

In any case, I had written that my weight went down to 80.8 Kg yesterday, but that was yesterday. Today, I am back up to 81.3 Kg, but I did see the 80.8.. I swear it, however fleetingly.

Good luck with the CT scan Lori and all that entails. I know how hard it is to look after ailing family. Keep focused on October 7th and the days will sail by,. Did I tell you I was jealous? Like umpteen times? 🙂

CactusRose, congrats on the lower weight.. it is so encouraging when the numbers finally shift, isn’t it?

Cinque..the detox is going great. Today I finish a week of it and will be seeing the nutritionist in the afternoon. She plans to start me on a high protein diet for 2 weeks to encourage weight loss. I know that I am veering a little away from the standard 5:2 for this while, but I will get back to it after my birthday.. that is the plan.

On another front, I started Pilates. Yaaay! Finally, after talking about it for so many times, I finally did it last Friday. I have now booked 2 sessions per week with a trainer (one on one) to ensure that I get the movements right and do not injure myself. It was rather difficult, but not too bad. I am looking forward to my second session on Wednesday. FINALLY!!

I am nowhere near as dedicated and disciplined as Lori, but she inspires me.. she is my exercise hero.

Have a great day ladies, and let’s hope this post ‘sticks’.

Salam

Ooo there are some lovely low numbers popping up, a quick blink first, but soon to become steady (and then to be passed on!).

Salma, The post did stick!
    Great to have the nutritionist’s plan at the moment!
    And yay for pilates.

Mind you I did the best yoga session I had done for a year (very gentle yoga, modifying the stretches to suit me, in front of lovely Wai Lana dvd) and woke at night with my hips aching, particularly the one I always carried children around on. It has been happening a fair bit lately, but not as bad, so I finally sat down and did some deep googling and worked out it is my gluteal tendon and got found some sensible tips about what to do and not do.
    But I had to laugh, I had felt so pleased with myself after a bit of an exercise push!

We are in the middle of a cold spell, but there is sunshine this morning, yay!

Lori, sending best wishes to you all. Was the diagnosis as expected? It is a hard time. She is lucky to have you both.

Good Morning!

Cinque…no diagnosis on our relative…expected possibly today. My husband stops in to see her every day, so we will find out nearly as soon as she does. He is going to do her food shop today and will talk with her when he delivers her groceries. Our only concern is to do what we can for her and to support her emotionally thru this ordeal. Ah life….this stage is the worst.

Took the morning off exercise as the cat had me up at 3AM. We also had a skunk in the yard and the smell came in our windows so it smelled like the rascal was in the room with us! Ugh! I’m going to turn a fan on and try to air out the house as I’m afraid I’ll go to work and my clothes and everything will reek of skunk! What a horrible smell!

Well, need to grab a bite of breakfast and then get my day started. Thinking of you all and hoping you are well and happy. Talk soon!

Hi Lori..
    Oh how awful. A quick suggestion: boil some cinnamon sticks in some water or burn some dried sage (I know.. it sounds weird, but it works if you can find the dried sage).

Good luck!

Salma

Good Morning!

A quick check in before heading out to boot camp to start my day. Salma…thanks for the tips on getting the horrible skunk smell out of my house. They will come in handy as the bugger was back last night right after we went to bed. Luckily, the smell was not nearly as bad and didn’t linger. I suppose we have his visit to look forward to every night! He must pass right under our bedroom window on his nightly sojourn. ??

An update on our relative…the Dr called her with CT scan results and they believe it was pneumonia. She has been on antibiotics for a week now and seems to be improving. The Dr will send her to a lung specialist if need be. We are so relieved as we were afraid it was cancer. At 87 years old…you just never know, but for now, we are hopeful.

Saw a new low number on the scale this morning! Woohoo!! Now to get to a new decade. It’s a slow march, but at least it’s going in the right direction.

Laid awake thinking about some training on new things that I want to do with the new hire today. Once I start thinking about stuff like that, I just get up as any chance of more sleep is gone. It will be an early night for me tonight.

Have a lovely day!

Congrats Lori!!
    I am so excited for you, especially with the stalling that you had experienced previously. Well done!! I aspire to walk (or jog) in your footsteps.

I know all about staying awake with a million thoughts flitting through your mind. My solution? I am guilty of having a TV in my bedroom (a bad idea). I switch it on, put the timer on and focus on the noise coming from the TV rather than the one inside my head. I usually fall asleep before the TV switches off.

Another tactic is to listen to Paul McKenna. Remember him? We had a long discussion about him and his app as an aid to sleep about a year ago.

Salma

Good morning,
    I have had such a busy couple of days! It is lovely to have a quiet morning and catch up.
    I still haven’t heard about the YamDaisy thing, so I am thinking we might have missed out. I’ll talk to them today. Spent lots of time with the other thing we are doing though. Spent hours just trying to get the pricing right. And health dept (they love us) and planning department (we’ll see).
    And of course I’ve been on grandma duty too.

Lori, this is my first experience of hearing about skunks as local wildlife.. I’ll mention it next time someone here complains about possums in their roof!

Hooray for the new low number!

SO glad your relative may not be facing cancer, but pneumonia is hard, especially at 87! I hope she is getting better ok.

I’m another one who is often awake at night. Radio is my friend! I love how I can listen to a show on my ipad, one with the right level of gentle interest. But like Lori, if I am working out a problem it does tend to prioritise itself, even when I tell it it would be better to wait til the morning!

I hope you had a nice teaching time with that new person today.

I had a fast day yesterday. I politely had some bagel at a cafe because the owner was giving some wonderful help with YamDaisy stuff, but what has happened to bagels here? They used to be dense and chewy and tasty, this was light and sweet. I gave up halfway (oops a bit rude) and then, worst of all, I left without paying for it! I’ll have to go back this afternoon.
    So I had half a bagel (with ham and cheese) on top of my usual fast day fare. Probably a touch over my 500 calories, but good enough.

Cheers to you Salma, I do hope everything is going well in your busy world, and that you have had a break from heat and humidity.

Off to make breakfast!

A quick Hello before heading to boot camp. The scale inched even lower this morning which has me amazed as I had a peanut butter milkshake for lunch yesterday and a lite beer with my dinner! I’ll take it. I knew I was losing as the shirt I wore yesterday was decidedly looser in the arms. Weird how the sands shift!

I’m planning to be strict with my eating today. Have everything planned out and will stick to it!

I’ll check in on you all later. Should be a quiet day at the office as most of the bosses are off today and we girls will be left to our own devices. 😉 I see lots of time yacking today! LOL!

Talk soon!

The beer.. it is definitely the beer Lori.. I am heading out to the supermarket!

I just love when clothes are looser!

Yes, ofcourse it is the beer Lori!
    I hope you had a lovely boot camp and a great day of yacking.

Hi Salma! Hi Cactus Rose. It is breakfast time in Melbourne. YamDaisy has an interview! Woot!

Day before fast day.

When I lost weight I had such a strong urge to wear everything well fitted. Out went all those flowing clothes! But guess what, I am beginning to feel so longterm slender and relaxed that I am beginning to think that sometime I will happily wear one of those long silk shirts I have in the back of the wardrobe (one day when I haven’t got a granddaughter dribbling over me 😉 ). Don’t we keep changing!

Hi everyone!

Got home from the mountain camping trip in Yosemite late Thursday. The last two days have been spent unloading the motorhome and doing tons of laundry!

We had a great time! We hiked nearly daily and luckily had a campsite that backed up to a river which we took advantage of by kayaking on it almost every day. The only bummer was that while a beautiful route with ferns, pines, ducks, etc., you could only kayak about 20 minutes before you hit a man-made waterfall and had to turn around. My hubby and I, after surveying the river in the opposite direction, decided that it wasn’t “too rough” and even though there were lots of rocky areas, we could traverse it. Well, not so much! We ended up carrying the inflatable kayak numerous times over slippery river rocks (thank God we had our aqua booties on our feet!), which made for a very treacherous/painful time. After going at this for almost an hour (if you can believe it-guess we are gluttons for punishment!), we decided to end the misery and walk/float back! At least it was good exercise, right?! Twice I hiked to an actual waterfall, which entailed climbing through and over rocks of all sizes to get to the top where there were beautiful falls splashing into a large blue-green pool of water- just gorgeous!

The most fun had to be when we seven (we brought my son’s friend as well) took our 3 inflatable kayaks on the major river in Yosemite, the Toulumne (I believe that’s how it’s spelled?). We saw lots of does (with babies, even twins!) and bucks and even river otters sliding out of their dens at the side of the river bank. It was so pretty and unspoiled for a large part of the trip until we reached the “Village” where the majority of the campers/tourists were.

I decided to survey the damage diet-wise today. I’m up 2 pounds. Not so bad considering I snacked a fair amount, though healthily for the most part. I did hope for no gain with all that physical activity, but it’s better than the 5 I’d typically pack on after a vacation. I’m going to start my little 4 day fast/cleanse on Monday after we take the neighbors who watched our kitties out to dinner tomorrow night to thank them. Anyhow, that should hopefully get me under the 120 mark again where I like to be. The lovely thing is, this is now maintenance for me! It’s real life finally. I’m where I want to be and if I gain a bit on vacation, etc., I get right on it and get rid of it before it becomes a problem. I’m hopeful for the future, eating-wise for the first time ever and that’s HUGE for me!

Sounds like you all are doing well! Salma, good luck on the new cleanse you’re embarking on! Lori, congrats on moving that scale in a lower direction finally!
    And Cactusrose, you too are having such great success…YAY for you! 🙂 Cinque, congrats on feeling “long-term slender”. What a nice feeling!

Hope you all are having a fantastic weekend! Goodnight!

Welcome home Sherry. It sounds like a great trip, and you’ll enjoy your cleansing days.
    I’ll be quick, it is the end of my Sunday fast day and I am off to make miso soup!

Best wishes everyone!

Hello all from not so sunny Manchester, England 😉 Although we did have sunshine yesterday haha
    Sounds like you have all been busy. I’m here with my mum on holidays visiting family. It’s going to be challenging keeping 5:2 going whilst I’m away as my aunt who we are staying with has an eating disorder so my fasting may not be so helpful ! So I will try and eat sensibly and hope to maintain the losses I’ve achieved 😁
    Keep striving all,
    Blessings to all
    Tilly xx

Hiya ladies,

Sherry.. amazing that you are now on maintenance (I only wish). The cleanse for a few days does amazing things, and you should be back where you want to be pretty soon. Your tip sounds wonderful.. it is not often one gets to reconnect with unspoiled nature.

Tilly… don’t knock lack of sunshine! We are enduring sweltering heat and humidity here, that I long for overcast days and cooler weather. You know, the thing about this ”diet’ is that you can adapt it to suit your real life. On holidays and special occasions, you can just tone it down a bit and then get back on the straight and narrow when you are home. I think this is the only food-management system that is in any way sustainable. You can lose weight on other programs, but I think this is the only way one can actually keep the weight off and maintain the loss over time. I am not there yet, but I am hoping that by the end of this year, I will have reached the weight I would like to maintain. This has been a long and bumpy journey, but, at least, I – all of us – are moving in the right direction.

Cinque.. good luck on your Sunday fast today (your day is probably over by now).

Hugs to all,

Salma

Sigh….I just fell victim to the disappearing post syndrome. 🙁

It’s 5:30AM and I’m not sure I have the energy to retype it all!

Welcome home Sherry…..what an adventure! I bet it will feel good to be at home for a bit after all your world travels.

Cinque…hope you’ve had a great fast day. You always seem to sail thru them.

I had a miserable day on the golf course. I didn’t play well, which is frustrating, but the heat!! So hot & humid. I actually felt ill last night and went to bed at 8 o’clock and fell right to sleep. Feel ok this morning..just a touch of a headache. I’m heading back to the course this morning and am hoping for a better day. Humidity is supposed to be less, so fingers crossed.

This afternoon we’re going to a cook out at a friend’s home. I’m taking a big dish of pickled cucumbers & onions with dill. Our host will provide the meats and everyone will bring a dish to share. I wanted to bring a nice low carb dish so I’m not tempted by pasta salads etc.

Well, time for a bit more coffee and then it’ll be time to get ready to chase that little while ball around once more. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Hello, ladies!!

We made it back safely after our two weeks in Europe. I’m always so relieved to get home and find our house intact and our cats okay.

I braved the scales briefly yesterday and it wasn’t too horrifying–up a couple of pounds but I have found that flying adds some water weight anyway so my goal this week is to get back to where I was and move on from there!

I skimmed the posts but will take more time to catch up tomorrow!!!! It sounds as if people are doing well overall….

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.