Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,951 through 4,000 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi Girls,

Uneventful day here…took a walk and still finishing up on cleaning the motorhome and doing various household chores before we head out to dinner with the neighbors tonight.

I made a yummy chocolate pudding recipe I found that’s really healthy. The ingredients sound weird, but I promise you won’t notice the avo in the pudding-it just serves to thicken it!

In a blender mix, 1/4 ripe avocado, 1/4 cup almond milk (I used chocolate unsweetened), 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1-2 pitted dates, 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract. I also used a little bit of liquid chocolate stevia.

This tastes better after sitting in the frig overnight to let the flavors combine.

Tilly, best of luck on the stay with your aunt. As Salma said, even if you do have an eating “blip”, you’ll get it together when you get back! Sorry for the lack of sunshine! Hopefully it’s only one day and will be back out tomorrow!

Salma, you WILL be at your maintenance goal by year end, I just know it! You seem to be on a good path now with something that’s working for your lifestyle. I hope you reach your birthday goal of under 80kg by month’s end too! 🙂

Lori, yes, it feels good to settle down after all that summer traveling! Smart that you are bringing a dish you can eat to a pot luck. That’s always been my healthy eating strategy too! Have fun!

Carolina, welcome home! I was just wondering yesterday how long you’d be gone for. Funny that we both gained 2 lbs while on vacation. We will get them off in short order! Did you have a great time? What did you do on your trip? How’s your daughter feeling?

Ok, back to work! Love to all!

Good Morning everyone,

I have been reading the posts in this forum for quite a while now and have finally decided to start 5:2 today. I will be 50 in a few weeks, struggling with the joys of menopause and my weight slowly going in the wrong direction. I hope to find – and give -some support here if possible, good to know that there are so many others out there and good to see that 5:2 can actually work 🙂
    So today will be my very first fast day, I hope will be strong enough.

Have a good day everyone
    Diana

Hi
    I’m Chris from Perth Western Australia. I’m in my late fifties currently still menopausal and been on the 5 & 2 for 7 weeks with initial weight loss but then gained it back. It’s very frustrating as I find restricting my food in take very hard and the good thing about this diet was that I thought could eat anything after doing the 2 days of fasting – wrong I understand now that I still need to count calories on my non fasting days in relation to my TDEE and Basic Metabolism level height, age and weight range
    I find this forum great as it gives me some hope that I can get there, I would like to lose 13 kgs to put me in the healthy BMI range whether I get there we’ll have to see, I’m trying to be realistic
    Hubby and I are off on a looong road trip as of next week so it will be interesting to se how I go with my 2 days fasting, I love my wine and nibbles which is probably the problem trying to live within TDEE calories
    I’m going to try 🙂

Hello everyone!

Tilly it is so tricky to be eating with others, how good you are, making sure your Aunt is comfortable. I hope you find ways to eat well and a couple of days lightly as you can!

Oh dear Salma, it is still sweltering! If only your job took you to Melbourne for a meeting or two! (But wouldn’t you hate the long plane trip!).

I agree, that 5:2 is such a good eating pattern for a good healthy life. No wonder so many cultures and religions have fast days!

Lori I do hope your golf day was MUCH better! You deserve it after that vanishing post!
    Hmm, I don’t always sail through fast days, but I did on Sunday 🙂

On the other hand, Monday has been exhausting: but I now know how to do Gant Charts! And I have a veggie full risotto to warm up for my evening meal.

Lovely to see you back Carolina. It is lovely to be back home after the strain of being away. Did you have some good times abroad? Those couple of pounds will be gone before you know it!

Sherry I hope you are getting nicely sorted back at home, and brewing some wonderful bone stock!

Welcome here Diana! Cheers for your first fast day! Were you very nervous? (I was for mine). How are you at the end of the day? Here is a lovely little secret, the BEST thing is waking up tomorrow morning!

Hi Chris, fellow Aussie! So glad you worked out about non fast days being just as important as fast days. I don’t worry with counting calories and TDEE, but I am ever mindful that non fast days are for normal healthy meals and only the occasional treat, or even more occasional feast. And with practice, I am getting there!

Well I am going back to exhausted and seeing if I can have a nap before my evening meal.

Best wishes everyone! It was lovely to see such a lot of lovely people here to reply to!

Here we are at Monday again. How do the weekends go so quickly??

Yesterday was more fun on the golf course. My friends and I were just kind of silly. We had lots of laughs and it was just a good day. I played fairly well too and the weather was not so oppressive. I got home and showered and then we were off to our friends for a picnic. We had a lovely time visiting, and eating and drinking! Just an all round good day!

Scale was up a couple pounds this morning, which was expected. Back on track today and hoping to get back down to that new low number, and then lower!

Work today and then off tomorrow to play in yet another golf tournament! A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work! 😉

Have a lovely day and welcome to the newbies!

Hello and thank you for the friendly welcome!

I had my first fast day today and I am quite proud to say that I have been successful. Wasn’t sure if I would be able to get through the day without food. It was ok at work, I was quite hungry but simply forgot that because I was so busy. I had lots of water and herbal tea, but maybe not enough because I have quite a bad headache now. By the time I got home I wasn’t hungry any more, so I decided to have just a thin vegetable soop.

So not bad for the first time I guess…

Would you recommend to count calories on the normal days from the beginning? I was thinking of just trying to eat healthy food on the non fasting days and see if that works for me.

Porridge waiting for me tomorrow morning, mhmhmh…..

Beat wishes to all of you
    Diana

Good morning everyone,

Congratulations Diana. You will get different advice, so work out what suits you best. I would hate counting calories, but others find it the best way to make 5:2 work.
    I hope your headache is gone. It might be lack of salt causing it (if you were drinking enough). So hopefully your soup helped.

Enjoy that porridge!

So glad golf was fun day Lori! And what fun to have a golf tournament in the middle of the week!

Non fast day, so I have the fun of eating normally!

Good morning everyone,

Dida.. well done on your first FD (Fast Day).. The first is always the hardest, and it does get much better.. there will even be times when you actually look forward to your FD. I know it is hard to believe right now, but this is one of the great things about this WOL (Way of Life). Personally, I, like Cinque, do not like counting calories. In fact, that is one of the reasons I got onto this diet in the first place. Having said that, it may be an idea to count calories for a week or so to get a ‘feel’ for how many you are consuming per day following your normal eating habits, then, if you also don’t like counting calories, just gauge your intake as you go along.

Congrats on the good golf day Lori. It must be great to have something you enjoy doing so much, and which is good exercise to boot! Soon, you will be able to do all the golf you like.

Hi Chris and welcome to our corner. I hope that you will be able to find the support and advice that helps you on this journey.

Sherry.. I hope you are done with all the tidying up and laundry.. one sometimes feels like one needs a holiday after the holiday. In any case, autumn is near (my favourite season) and it is the time for new beginnings. We have more time to look inwards and reflect. Although, I am expecting a rather busy October and a crazy November, but.. it is what it is.

Have a great one ladies.

Salma

Good Morning!

Had a lovely, long lie in this morning. It is 6AM!! Hubby and I both were a bit late getting up..for us. I’m having cup of coffee #1 and will have another in a bit. I’m putting a roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight, so have to get that ready. Heading for the golf course around 8.

Weather is looking good today…yay! Just watching the weather now and it looks like we have some unsettled weather and rain on our way starting tomorrow. We are quite dry here and need a few days of good rain…..just not on golf days! 😉

Forgive me not doing personals…short on time today. Just know I enjoy reading all your posts and am cheering you all on your journey.

Hi everyone! Happy Sunday (Monday for the Aussies!)afternoon! Sipping a nice bowl of bone broth with spinach while I read. A lazy-ish day here. Scale is back down in the 119 range after one day of the cleanse/fast and I have 3 more to go. Will be interesting to see where I end up at the end! Like Salma and Cinque say, it’s nice sometimes to do a fast- you do actually start to look forward to it! I have to get my grocery list together and get out there and shop. Always a chore to figure out meals for a week for 6 and then get the food and put it away…takes the better part of an afternoon at least!

Hi to Dida! Welcome this forum and the 50’s! Hope we can be of some help to you! Just stick it out and you will succeed! I agree with Cinque and Salma in that I don’t really count calories but it might be useful to check on your calorie intake on non-fast days in the beginning just to be sure you’re not overdoing it. For most of us, I don’t think we can have a “free for all” on NFD’s and still be successful! Congrats on a great start with your first day’s fast.

Salma, yes the motorhome has been scrubbed clean and all the laundry is done. It’s fun but definitely not a terribly relaxing way to vacation! I too love the change of seasons with Autumn but it’s a crazy busy time of year for me with all 4 of my kids’ birthdays in the span of 6 weeks from early October through mid-November and then the holidays hit. So I have mixed feelings for this time of the year! How is your cleanse going? What are you doing at this point and how many more days to go?

Lori, it’s so good you actually slept in! Your 4 and 5 am wake-ups make me cringe! 😉 How’s your eating going? Has that 2 lbs dissolved yet?

Cinque, the bone broth is a particularly good batch again, or maybe I’ve just been missing it? It’s funny, I kind of dread doing the cleanse/fast, and then once I start, I actually really enjoy it, especially the broth…it has so much protein in it that it easily keeps me full. How’s the YamDaisy project going? Any updates?

Ok, I’m off and running! Cheers!

A fine morning here!

Diana, I had another thought about your headache, do you normally drink coffee? Caffeine withdrawal headache is nasty!

I hope golf is great today Lori!

I’ve been feeling so cruisey with my eating that I have slipped back to overeating in the evening! I need to have my meal and then stop! I’ll make myself a hot drink and then another one, and then it will be time for bed! This plan will be put into action this evening, and then it is fast day tomorrow!

Sherry! Couldn’t you bundle all those birthdays up into one weekend? Hire an entertainer, and you fly out to Paris and come back when it is all over! Throw in Thanksgiving on the same weekend! 😉

I could do with some of your bone broth today. I am determined to find time to make a big pot of soup! Wish me luck!

Best wishes all!

Good morning everyone!

Cinque, I too have a problem with overeating in the evening. I am ok on most days while I am busy at work. I cook a proper meal on most evenings for my 15 year old daughter and myself – always fresh food or, if time is short, something out of the fridge which I had freshly cooked and frozen before. But as soon as I have a rest after our meal, I start thinking about what else is there that I could eat. I am not hungry at all, but I think about eating…..that’s the main reason why I am here now I guess.

You may be right about the caffeine withdrawal and my headache, I love coffee and normally have quite a lot of it.

I had expected to be ravenously hungry after my first fast day, but much to my surprise I wasn’t. So yesterday I had porridge in the morning, a yoghurt with fresh berries at lunchtime and a vegetable curry with naan bread and Basmati rice in the evening. And some chocolate before I went to bed…

Today is my second fast day, I cannot say that I am looking forward to it yet, but I am quite confident that I can do it.

Thanks again for your support, have a great day everyone!

Good Morning!

Golf was fun yesterday. I played ok…with a couple of really bad shots thrown in. That is golf! My partner and I came in 2nd place, which is actually preferable to first as the winners have to run the tournament next year! Ugh!

The scale has popped up a couple pounds and is clinging there. I’m hoping a good FD will move it down once again.

I’m suffering with a poison ivy rash on my forearms that is driving me crazy. It is over a week now and just will not go! Itch, itch, itch! Plus it looks awful. I put cream on it to ease the itch and mask the redness, but I’m well and truly tired of it! All this because I pulled some weeds that were encroaching on my French Lilac bush. Sigh…..this is why I let the outside work to my husband.

Off to boot camp in a few minutes. Busy day at work today and then I have a pedicure to look forward to. A little pampering makes a girl feel good!

Have a good day my friends!

Hello girls,

Scale down 0.6 today…not much but I’ll take it! I’m so sleepy today as I didn’t sleep well at all last night. This happens to me sometimes when /cleansing as I’ve mentioned before. Don’t know why? I’m drinking tea now to compensate, despite it not being on my plan. Aside from all that, it’s an absolutely beautiful day here in So. Cal!

Cinque, I wish it was that easy and possible to follow your birthday plan! The good thing is this year, the younger ones all sort of agreed they want Disneyland annual passes (which are NOT cheap!) in lieu of presents and parties. The older one, who will be turning Sweet 16 this year, is imagining a cabin in the woods while it snows with all her buddies…hmmm? Not sure about that one…we will see!

Dida, as I mentioned, I have a 15 year old daughter too (plus 9 year old twin girls and a 10 year old boy). Having a teen alone will drive you to eat!!!! 😉 Is she your only child? Good luck on fast day #2! Each progressive one gets easier.

Lori, what a bummer about the poison ivy! We don’t have it here in Cali but we do have something similar in poison oak plants. Thankfully I’ve never experienced it, but I had a brother-in-law who went to “relieve” himself by a creek and got the rash in an area that you can’t exactly scratch in public! 😉
    Maybe the party contributed to the stubborn weight gain? I’m sure a FD will take care of it!

Where are you Salma? Hope all is well!

Bye for now!

Good morning everyone from cool Melbourne.

I hope your second fast day went well Diana! And then you have a nice run of normal days (trying not to eat all evening) 🙂

For quite a while I woke up after a fast day feeling amazingly not hungry. But now I go through times when I wake up ravenous.
    I’d also like to go caffeine free on Fast days, but I haven’t managed it yet!
    Coffee addict.

I did fine in the evening last night. Fast day today.
    I only managed the beginning to that big pot of soup though. I made a lovely vegetarian broth, got bits and bobs out of the freezer, soaked some beans. But then I got sidetracked by needing to wash and cook a bunch of spinach. Done. I have a fairly quiet day today so I can make the rest of it!

Lori congratulations on your golf, you must be good! I do hope the poison ivy clears up soon. What with skunks and poison ivy you are living my USA nightmares!

I hope you get a good sleep now Sherry! And if you can afford Disneyland, it does sound like a simple solution! The cabin in the snow does sound amazing. What big dreams teenagers have!
    (My daughter just turned 24, so much easier now!)

Best wishes for a really wonderful day today everyone!

Good morning ladies..

Lori, you poor thing with the poison ivy. Did you try Aloe Vera cream? It works wonders on many things and soothes irritated skin. If it doesn’t help, it won’t hurt!. Congratulations on placing second in the golf tournaments.. that must feel great.

Hi Sherry.. My ‘cleanse’ finished about a week ago and the nutritionist put me on a strict protein stretch that starts with 3 days with only fish/chicken/macademia nuts with no vegetables or fruit (yuk) then the next 3 days she introduces raw vegetables the next three days she introduces raw vegetables and the last 4 days you get a (very) small piece of fruit at breakfast. I am on day 10 of the 13-day stint. She says she expects people to lose between 2 and 4 Kgs on this. I weighed myself this morning, and I am at 81.7 Kg, which is higher than my lowest after the week cleanse, so I am not so sure about this protein thing. I have to admit, however, that I have had a couple of days where I snuck in a glass of wine during a dinner out. and some rice on day 4, both absolute no-nos. I think she wants to get the body in a state of ketosis and having stuff like that throws the plan out of whack. Ah well, there is always 5:2 to get back to and things will be alright. I am just desperately trying to get my weight to 80Kg before the end of the moth. The body seems to fight you all the way doesn’t it?

In any case, I am doing 2 sessions of Pilates every week now and progressing painfully slowly, but I find that I look forward to the sessions. The instructor is a lovely young girl who stresses proper form and controlled movements. I can feel my balance improving and my muscles moving.

Yesterday, I took a day off work from my vacation days and went to the beach! I felt like I was being truant from school, but it was really lovely to disconnect from all the stress and the hostile environment at work and to just sit in the sun and swim in the sea. I even stuck to my prescribed diet verbatim. So, I am a little miffed that my weight is going up rather than down. Maybe, Lori, I should have a beer or two?

Dida, well done on seeing your first 2 FDs through. As everyone said, it gets easier.
    Sherry.. birthday parties! Thank goodness these are now in my past, but despite the very hard work before and after, they do leave great memories. I used to love making 3-D cakes of their favourite characters. A particularly successful cake was a Ninja Turtle coming out of a sewer, holding the cover up!

Cinque.. The one thing that can be my undoing is evening snacking (as many people). With the regimen I am on now, I absolutely have nothing except herbal teas. i would not recommend stopping all caffeine cold turkey. I did that for the cleanse and got an almighty headache for two days that nearly blinded me. If you intend to go coffee-free, do it gradually. Hoever, there are many benefits to coffee, so, in moderation, I think it is a good thing and smells wonderful too.

Have a great day gals,

Salma

Good Morning!

Thanks for the suggestions of aloe vera cream for my rash…unfortunately, I don’t have any on hand. I am about to go crazy with the itching. I haven’t had something like this since I was a kid. Sigh…..that will teach me to do yard work! I will let that to the husband as I usually do!

We went out for dinner last night and I was so hungry that my good resolve went out the window. I stopped short of having dessert or anything like that, but I did eat a few potato chips and had a tuna melt sandwich complete with 2 slices of sourdough bread. I did have a hard workout yesterday morning, so hoping my little splurge didn’t send me too far off the rails.

Ok…just took a break and put some lotion on my poison ivy rash. I was going to wait until after my shower, but couldn’t stand it a minute longer. Sorry…I’ll stop going on and on about it. It is what it is.

Salma…your diet regime sounds harsh! WOW…I admire any of you who stick to something like that. Your beach days, however, sound divine! I hear you about caffeine withdrawal headache. If I ever am in the situation where I can’t get my hands on some coffee, by about 2 in the afternoon, my head hurts so badly that I’m sure I’m going to die. Horrible! I have no plans to ever give up my coffee..hope I never have to!

Ok…time to get this day underway. Another day of training my replacement and seeing what problems arise. I was awake during the night thinking of some things that I have to be sure to show her. So much!! Yikes!!

Have a great day!

Good morning all!

Today the hubby was wagging his tail as he ran off to play golf with his friend that he only sees 3 or 4 times a year. Lori, I’m sure you know the feeling with golf! I’m going to use this as an organization day…at least that’s my goal! The piles of miscellaneous stuff and outgrown kid clothing are growing and need to be attacked. I hate organizing and am not good at it unless I have zero distractions-something that’s not exactly possible with 4 kids at home! At least school starts next week so if I’m not successful, I’ll try again then!

I’m down 0.4 today to 118.6 and am hoping to be in the 117’s tomorrow at the end of this fast/cleanse. At least that seems to be my pattern over the last few months…I gain to around 121, go on the cleanse and get down in the 117’s. I usually have had a vacation or something right after getting to 117 that pushes me back up so I’m hoping this time around I’ll be able to maintain somewhere near there and not creep back up on the scales.

Cinque, I hope that pot of soup got finished and that your fast day went by without the late night hungries! When will your cool weather start easing into Spring-like temps? Ours, even though it’s only August, is starting to cooling down in the evenings, telling me Fall is on it’s way.

Salma, Yay for a day at the beach playing “hookey” as we say here! I’m so proud of you that you finally started pilates! Like everything, it gets easier as you go. For me, I started seeing good results between 3-6 months out but the stretching aspect of it even before you get to that point is just so good for you! Your cleanse sounds tough but do-able. At least you got those yummy mac nuts (one of my favs!) in the beginning! Well, try your best to finish strong and hopefully you will get back to or below your last end-of-cleanse weight! You still have over 2 weeks to get to your 80 kg goal by end of the month! And those birthday cakes you made! Oh my! I don’t have that much ambition! You were probably a younger mom than me at the time and had more energy than I do! 😉 When I only had the one girl (AND was younger!), I’d do more elaborate parties, such as the princess party where all the sandwiches consisted of peanut butter and jelly cut out in star shapes with a chocolate and sprinkles covered large stick pretzel stuck in them as the “wand” handle! Gone are those days!

Lori, what about Calamine lotion for the rash? Or does cortisone lotion work? Maybe an oatmeal bath? How long are those things supposed to last? That’s just miserable, you poor girl!

Organizing here I come (I think)!

Hello, I’m doing a Lori style early morning, although I might try to doze again once I’ve finished my cuppa. A good fast day. Still didn’t finish the soup, but I loved using some of the stock for my miso soup last night.

Salma, I agree, those birthdays sound wonderful!
    My granddaughter turns two next week so my daughter is planning fun things! 🎈🎉🎈

Hooray for running away to the beach. Grr re your work. Will you be able to rebuild staff as you go? I hate to think of you in a poisonous work place! It is even worse than having poison ivy!
    Although you can run away to the beach and leave the unbearable itches in their offices.

Sherry it is nice to know your cleansing ritual is doing its thing!
    There are signs of winter ending, a local botanist suggests we squeeze a new season in called Sprinter, followed by Sprummer. Sprinter has begun! Wattle is out, fruit blossom and magnolias. The days are getting longer and warmer, and last night was the last very cold night ( in Melbourne terms) for the week, and maybe the year. http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s4133457.htm

My cuppa is finished, I’ll see if I can rest a bit more. I am more pleased than stressed to have this interview in a few hours, but the sleep centre of my brain doesn’t agree apparently!

Once the interview is over I will come home and make that soup, ooh it will be lovely tonight! Oh and I’ll let you know how it goes! 🙂

Hello again! I’ll have to catch up with everyone over time but welcome to the new ladies and good luck!!!

Our trip was great! We were in Iceland for three days and did the geothermal spa, the tour of the geysir/rift area and rode the Icelandic horses (my daughter’s favorite)! The sky was so beautiful during the long twilight. We were in Amsterdam one day and did the canal tour and Van Gogh then we took the bullet train to Frankfort and spent the next day biking 20 miles! We had dinner in a great medieval town. Then we were on the Rhein for two days–did the boat tour and hiked up to two castles in the vineyards. Finally, we were in the waterlands of Holland in a dyke house where we had to get around by bike and pull a little ferry across the canal. We saw two sets of friends during the trip, and stayed with one of them for a night. So it was a great experience for our daughter. She is ready to move there!

The hard parts were the two nights I got virtually no sleep due to our flights. Also, my husband turned into a food pusher, which he is not around home!! It was very challenging. Also, I basically had enough one on one time with my travelling companions by the time it was done–I’m a big introvert and it was hard not having some space!!! But those are little things. Overall it was a blast.

I’m not doing so well getting back in the saddle but I am doing a proper fast day today and I vow to get on daily for the next few weeks. I was rather self conscious seeing my pictures. I hate how middle age weight is so different than young weight! Gravity!!!!!

We were not able to stay gluten free with my daughter and she gradually slipped back to feeling the way she did before, which was a good confirmation in a way. Now we are starting that again as well. I think I’ll try to do it also as much as possible. I’m not sure if we’ll also try the reflux medicine again before school starts–need to touch base with her doctor I guess! I hate dealing with the medical profession, no offense!!

The good thing about the trip was that I got a lot of exercise. Lots of walking, some real hiking, biking, carrying luggage and hoisting it up …. need to follow up on all that!

So I’ll try to get on early tomorrow! Have a nice evening, everyone!!!

I’m changing things up and doing an afternoon check-in!! I got up late this morning and had no time for the computer as I had to have my coffee and rush out to boot camp! Not the way I like to start my day!

My husband has left for an overnight with our daughter & grandsons for a baseball tournament, so I’m on my own tonight. I have some ground beef that I must cook and will chop up a zucchini & a tomato into it and make a grand stir fry! Not sure I’ll eat it tonight, but I need to cook it. I love that mixture with some nice spices and a big spoonful of sour cream. Yum. I went out for Chinese for lunch…had shrimp and broccoli(no rice), so not sure how hungry I’ll be for dinner. We’ll see. It is nearly unbearably hot and humid today with much the same forecast for the weekend. Kind of kills your appetite.

I’ll be out in that heat tomorrow and Sunday playing golf. Early tee time, so I’ll be back inside by around 1. I have a feeling I’ll be one tired girl.

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend. Monday will be here before we know it! 🙁 I have 39 more days to walk thru the door……can you believe it???

Hugs!

Carolina, that does sound like a great holiday.
    In your last post, when your first comment was relief to be back home, I nearly responded by saying what an introvert you must be! I don’t think I am much of an introvert, but even I know the exhaustion of being in a group of people for an extended time! Enjoy the peace!
    It will be a nice time settling back and getting organised and getting into the rhythm of 5:2 again, and of being gluten free! (Won’t you love the occasional gluten snack when you get the chance to have one!).
    Do you like finding new recipes and trying them out?
    I really like Jamie Oliver’s recipes and here is the link to gluten free recipes on his website: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/special-diets/gluten-free/#HFc7qSjz7Wo3OuOq.97

A friend on another thread joked the other day about getting thin and finding everything is 12 inches lower than it used to be. Oh the joys of growing older!

Good afternoon Lori! I hope it is a lovely evening. Your nice little bit of cooking sounds wonderful. And those light tasty things are perfect on hot humid days.

Do you have to lug a couple of litres of water around with you on the golf course in the heat? Best wishes for a great round, and a wonderful rest when you get home.

Cheers for grandson’s baseball game!

The countdown is on!

We had a good interview for the YamDaisy project, and I am more excited than ever. They asked us to give some referees, and I realised I have three really good ones! (Not that I have asked them quite yet! 😉 )

Saturday morning here, so happy to have a quiet day. I want to get the house clean, but my health is a bit low so I am doing my ‘3’ trick. Every time I get up I do three things. They can be as little as I like (eg taking a mug to the sink) but it is magic because before I know it the big things are getting done (incrementally ).

I am fasting tomorrow, and it will be a bit of an experiment as my daughter and I may be going to do ‘meal prep Sunday’, shopping and making a load of meals to last the week. I’ll test to decide, if we make it regular, whether I need to change Sunday’s fast to Saturday.

I’ve been sensible in the evenings, and feeling good!
    Salma so glad Pilates is making such a good difference!
    Hooray for getting our lives sorted for a healthy old age! (And a healthy current age!!!!)

Off to do three things!

Bye 🙂

Hi everyone,

Just back from taking the little girls and meeting up with friends to see “The Secret Life of Pets” at the movies and to lunch. Very cute movie! Cinque, does you granddaughter enjoy/able to sit through long movies yet? If so, she’d like this one. The hubby went ocean fishing today with my son and a friend and his son, so the wife and her other two kids went with us to the movies. Golf yesterday (btw, he did well, Lori!) and fishing today…he’s making up for all that time I was gone this summer and he was watching the kids! That’s ok, he deserves it!

I’m done with the cleanse and back down to 117.8 again. YAY! Don’t have a vacation coming up so hoping it will stick though I do have the couples wedding shower tomorrow night for my nephew and his fiancé. My goal is to stick between 115-117 from now on if possible.

Carolina, what a great trip that was! I know what you mean-I got no sleep on the way to Europe or on the way back, but the melatonin did help once I arrived. Did you end up trying it? I hope your daughter starts feeling better again soon with the gluten free eating. Best of luck getting back into the swing of things in all ways! 🙂

Lori, enjoy your night on your own. They’re kind of nice sometimes, huh? Just doing what you want & eating what you want! How’s the rash? You didn’t mention it so I’m hoping that means it’s getting much better?

Cinque, did you mean “references” for YamDaisy? I’m confused- I thought you were interviewing people to work with you. Who is interviewing you? Maybe I missed something while on vacation? I’ve always wanted to be disciplined enough to do the week’s meal prep on the weekend for the week ahead. It will probably help to have someone doing it with you. I’ve heard of groups of ladies that each prepare a huge meal and divide the servings among the group members according to the number in their families and thereby have a bunch of different meals for the week. Good luck with that and your list of 3 things! Smart way to tackle stuff! I was very proud of myself in terms of organizing in that I organized the kitchen junk drawer and almost completely organized a corner of the bedroom which needed to be cleaned up badly!

Dida, are you still here? Hope you’re still doing well!

Ciao!

Hello!

I am back on today as promised! Yay me!! Haha. I wish it were that easy….

Lori, how exciting to be in the countdown phase! It is very humid here as well. It saps the energy out of you!

Cinque, hope you’re feeling better. I like your Rule of 3!

Sherryann, congrats on getting back to goal!!!!!!!! You are way ahead of me but I did have a decent FD yesterday.

Tomorrow we go to my inlaws on the lake. Fingers crossed…..

Hi Carolina and Sherry!

Yes, we were interviewed! We are one of a few organisations that would like to use the kiosk area in the local Health Centre. I have a feeling they will try to see if we can all use it (we have said we want to start at just two days a week, and build up as can).
    Hopefully soon we will be interviewing for staff!!!!

Happy Saturday morning everyone!

I had a good night’s sleep which was unexpected. I had the air conditioner running and the bedroom door shut so it was quite comfortable. I didn’t expect to sleep well since the husband is away, but I guess I was just exhausted. Anyway, got up at 4:30 so I could ease into my day before heading to the golf course. Just about time for breakfast!

My beef, zucchini, tomato concoction was yummy! I don’t measure spices, I just taste and sprinkle a little of this and a little of that. I got it perfectly seasoned. I enjoyed a dish last evening and have enough left for a couple more meals.

I found out I got paired with one of my favorite gals for golf this weekend. She is 79 years old and hits the ball a mile! She is also a hoot! We’ll be laughing a lot this weekend. If she says or does something that doesn’t make sense and we say “Donna, what are you talking about?” She’ll say “Give me a break, in 21 years I’ll be 100!!” I hope to be like her when I’m 79!

I wonder how the husband and daughter and kids slept last night all crammed into one hotel room? LOL! I’ll hear the story this afternoon when he calls.

Time for a bit of breakfast. Have a great day everyone!

Hi girls,

Weight this morning: 81.3 Kg!! Weight is not shifting despite the deprivation.. urrrggghhh.. I will be happy when I am back to 5:2 and being deprived only 2 days a week,.. for now, I am sticking it out and we’ll see.

Lori.. the 79 year old lady sounds like how I want to be when I am 79. She sounds wonderful.. I hope you have a great golf day.

Carolina.. I have a looong way to geo yet. I have done quite a yo-yo last year and was actually about where I am now in last August. Frustrating.. but I am so glad I did not quit. You know, being here has helped tremendously. These wonderful ladies who achieve their targets and yet stick around here are a great inspiration.. It makes me feel like it can be done.

Sherry.. Yaayyy for reaching your low numbers again.. really well done.. we are cheering you from far behind! You have had a very busy summer.. it is good that hubby is taking some time to have fun too.. you really sound like your an A-team.

Cinque..I am so excited for you and YamDaisy.. cheering for you to become a hugely successful enterprise. Also for reaching your goal.. that is wonderful.

My mom is back to being poorly again and I am distraught with worry. I have finally convinced her to get live-in help (affordable here), but this entails some renovation work in the flat to make space and facilities for that. Guess who is responsible for that! Yup, you guessed it.. MOI. Well, my dad complains about all the people I get in, the electrician is no good, the plumber is sketchy, etc. etc. I got a bit annoyed today and asked him why he has to be negative about everything.. I think I might have hurt his feelings. So now, not only do I have to do all the work, I feel guilty and worried. Humph!

On the positive side, my son, who is a sweetheart is here and it is wonderful to spend some quality time with him, so all is not dark.

I am trying to keep upbeat and to stick to my resolutions, but sometimes, I just feel like I would like to down a whole bottle of wine followed by some chocolate ice cream (with cookies and cream). My ‘diet’ ends on Tuesday.. I hope I last that long.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Salma

Good Saturday to you all!

Back from the morning walk and ready to start the day. Scale went up one pound this morning, which is to be expected after the cleanse-now to keep it from going further like usual! If I can “solidify” at 118 for a while then I can try another cleanse and hopefully get to the holy grail of 115 where I hope to maintain indefinitely!;) Late afternoon today is the couples wedding shower. I called ahead and it will be casual- there will be a BBQ of hot dogs, burgers and chicken with grilled veggies and salad, so there are healthy options for me if I just stick to my guns! Maybe I’ll bring a lite dessert to share so that I have something sweet to eat that won’t send me off the rails!

Carolina, best of luck today at the lake with the in-laws! Hold strong!

Lori, have fun with the “kick in the pants” 79 year old partner! Sounds like a good time!

Salma, stubborn weight is SO frustrating-I’m feeling for you. You know this time last year I was right there with my weight stubbornly refusing to move until I changed up the types of food I was eating. Not saying this is your problem, but interesting- I have a friend who recently went to a doc because she could never lose weight. She tested her for food allergies and came up with a list of those to avoid and the pounds started to come off for the first time in years. I’ve never been formally tested but since last Fall, at the advice of that wellness coach, I have avoided common potential problems like gluten, peanuts, sugar, so who knows? Has your nutritionist ever discussed anything about food sensitivities?

That’s tough with regard to your parents. I wish it was easier, but in my business, I hear similar stuff all the time! At least you are taking the positive (though difficult with your dad’s two cents!) steps to remodel in order to get some help in. It’s great that help there is inexpensive. Be prepared that they might “push back” a bit when it comes down to actually getting someone in there. A lot of people feel like it will interfere with their lives, etc., but once they see how much easier their lives become and they develop a good relationship with the caregiver, it gets so much better! Finding the right personality type that meshes with your parents is key. Good luck! 🙂 So happy you have your son around to ease the stress! How long is he in town?

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning,
    Just a quick note to say hi, as I am tired after a big day yesterday.

Salma I am so glad your son is with you. How hard it must be trying to do everything your parents need and only getting complaints. I know how horrible it feels to snap at vulnerable people, but you are vulnerable too and only human!
    I hope you find the most wonderful live in person, it will be a huge burden off you, and the time you spend with them then, will be much nicer.

Keep your eye on your birthday and try not to go off your regimen! You will feel so good to get under the 80 (not that it is the end of the world if you don’!).

Looking forward to hearing about your fun golf day Lori!

I hope you had a lovely day at the lake Carolina!

And that you had a great wedding shower Sherry!

Good morning all,

Sherry & Cinque.. thanks for the words of encouragement.. they really mean a lot to me. Sometimes, it is good to vent. I feel a little disloyal doing that, but I am struggling to stay sane with all the work and parents’ pressure.

This morning, I have to take my mother to have a CT Scan. My dad just called to say that she doesn’t want top go, says she is dizzy and has taken to her bed. So, I have to leave work and go there to cajole her to go. The doctor is unable to diagnose her dizzy spells without tests. It may all be psychological, but then again, it may not.

One thing I do, though, is to take Sunday completely off. I don’t visit my parents or even call (I visit them almost daily after work) or do any notch of work. I don’t look at emails or do one iota of work.. so at least, I have one day to look after myself.

Yesterday, a friend took me to say some horrible film about a shark (The Shadows).. I don’t understand how people can watch these things.. my nerves were all jittery after the film – or what I watched of it as I had my eyes closed for half the film!

Today, my weight is back to 81.4. It is being so very stubborn.. it feels like my body is playing games with me. I have stuck to the diet almost 95% but am still hanging around the 81.1 – 81.5 mark. I have to see the nutritionist on Wednesday morning, so perhaps I have lost fat versus water? Here’s hoping!!

Have a good day everyone.

Salma

Oh Salma……I can so sympathize with what you’re going thru with your Mother. I hope you can get her to go for her scan today. I went thru a rough couple years with my Mother as well. You are wise to take Sundays just for you, but that shark movie sounds dreadful! I like “feel good” movies, not the scary ones. Hope your nerves calmed down enough for you to sleep!

I had a horrible day on the golf course yesterday. You would have thought that I never played before! Just couldn’t seem to do anything right. I made it thru, but it was a long day. Didn’t play very well Saturday either, so no good tournament results for me. 🙁 Ah well……it’s only a game.

Scale is up this morning…no surprise. Between eating and drinking at the course and the heat and humidity….ugh. Back on track today and I’ll be glad to be “stuck” in the office in the air conditioning!

Cinque…what is your weather like now? What are you up to this week?

Sherry…congrats on getting your weight back where you like it. Are you back in the groove of being home after all your world travels? Are your kids back to school soon? I think our Grandkids go back next week.

Well, when I go thru the office door today, I’ll have 38 more days. Unbelievable!

Off to boot camp in a few minutes……start of another week.

Hi all,

Well, the wedding shower was very boring (I love my nephew, but sorry to say it was!) AND, they didn’t have the promised chicken, only beef dogs/burgers which I don’t eat. So, I over-did it on the darn tortilla chips and then my hubby and I went out to eat afterward. So, scale went up another pound (low 119’s). Still in the “ok” range but I need to get on it!

I’ve been so busy this morning that I didn’t really have time to eat a proper breakfast, just a handful of nuts and some dried pineapple slices. I got a crepe pan a few months ago that I’ve been wanting to experiment with so I just might do that and make myself a brunch out of it. Do any of you make crepes?
    I’m thinking it would be a nice, higher protein alternative to pancakes, especially if I use an alternate flour like coconut, etc.

School starts Wednesday (I’m hearing the song, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year” in my head as I write this 😉 so today is back-to-school stock up day…taking kids for underwear, socks, shoes. Other than that and trying to stay cool during this heatwave we are starting to experience, not much else going on.

Cinque, hoping you got your much needed rest. How did you end up wearing yourself out the day prior? Any news yet on the interview?

Salma, Ugh, I agree with Lori! No scary movies for me…only funny or lighthearted! I don’t need bad dreams! On my 11th birthday my parents took me and a bunch of girlfriends to the drive-in movie to see “Jaws”. As we sat in our bean bag chairs in the back of the pick-up truck, my dad made sure to grab me on the shoulders every time the shark bit someone! I didn’t go in the ocean for a while after that one! So, it will be interesting to see what the nutritionist has to say! Did the doctor check into an inner ear/equilibrium issue with regard to your mom? My mom had vertigo caused my an inbalance in the ear…not sure if that’s related? Hope they figure it out because the last thing she needs is to fall and break something at this age.

Lori, I am back in the groove and will be more so once those kids get back to school. A friend of mine took her kids out of the school to homeschool them 3 days and 2 days they go to classes at another school. More power to her…I could never home school! Yay for only 38 more days! What besides golf is in your retirement future? Have you thought much about it? I’m guessing you have! 😉

Have a great day everyone!

Good evening ladies,

just a short note to let you know I am still here, haven’t posted anything for a few days.
    My second fast day went quite well, found it easier than the first one and was very happy to see that this way of eating – or rather this way of life, as you keep saying – is not as difficult as I thought it would be.
    Don’t know if I have lost weight though, I have been in bed for a few days with a nasty virus which made me run to the bathroom very often if you know what I mean, I will spare you the details…. So if I have lost anything, it will be just water and will be back on again in a day or two.

But I feel better now and I think I will try to fast tomorrow if possible.

So good to see that you are all on the same journey, and so encouraging to read about your weight loss, your shrinking measurements and the way you all take care of your health and wellbeing.

Thank you all!

Diana

Hi I am totally new to this going to try my first fast day tomorrow.
    I have gained 4 stone in just under four years.
    three family bereavements have left me with very bad eating habits.
    Menopause also been an issue with chocolate binges!
    Have made a few half hearted attempts to “diet” but always result in comfort overeating.
    Also noticed my health is not as good as it was a few years ago breathless when walking and painful knees.

Having read your posts I am hopeful that I can do this and stick with it.
    Feeling very positive tonight will see what tomorrow brings !

Welcome here Kitty! Hopefully 5:2 will be the perfect thing to help lose the extra weight, and hopefully it will help with adjusting your food habits too, it does with most of us!
    Best wishes for your first fast!

Diana, so glad you managed to post. What a lot of viruses and bugs there are around at the moment. Glad you are feeling better! 5:2 Fasting is such a good tool for health and wellbeing! 🙂

I need to be quick again as I got so behind yesterday and I have some things on today.

I overdid it by having my granddaughter from 4pm on Sunday overnight and then shopping and cooking with my daughter the next day. We got a good lot of food prepped, but I need to plan better so we are super efficient. (And not combine it with grandma duty, much as I love that!). It just makes all my symptoms worse.

And then there were a couple of things I should have done yesterday that I forgot to do, so I must do them this morning. A big one being referees, still chasing Niall as I need his ph number. He is so busy, and hard to catch without his ph number! (catch 22) Wish me luck. I think I am only firing on one cylinder!

But the weather is gorgeous! Could be short sleeves today!

Salma, I hope you got your mum to the scan ok. Aren’t you sensible to have those precious Sundays to yourself.
    Venting is important!

Lori, pity about the golf! Hopefully next time will be super. Cheers for the 38th day!

What a pity about the wedding shower Sherry. Social things are always so hard re food! I hope the next few days are good ones.

Must fly. best wishes all!

Hi Kitty,

There is no magic involved. Want to lose weight? You cant binge on chocolate. Get rid of all sugar intake. Avoid grain based foods like bread, pasta, rice. No fruit juice!! No sugar!! Get your carbs from veggies. It will take about a month to detox from sugar and simple carbs. It will be tough. It gets easier after about a month. Success doesn’t chase you, you have to chase success.

Good Morning!

Hope you’re feeling better today Cinque and that all cylinders are firing! Your granddaughter is the most beautiful little girl. I love seeing her pictures on FB.

Kitty…I hope you woke with determination and resolve. BB is right, the sugar detox will be tough, but you will feel so much better. There are many good web sites that give great ideas on foods that will keep you satisfied. One of the first ones I visited was sugarfreelikeme.com Lots of recipes. Good Luck!

I was awake at 3 this morning with itching. The poison ivy rash on my arms is getting better, but I have intense itching on my lower legs, even though there is no sign of rash. Not sure what is going on, but it is so, so annoying. If I go to the Dr, they will put me on a steroid(probably prednisone), which I really don’t want to take. It causes you to be hungry and also can cause insomnia. Really would rather not go down that road. I keep hoping this will clear up on its own.

Scale is down a bit today after a more normal day yesterday. I need to work on my water intake as that has been a bit low lately. I know it’s important and have to work to get more in between cups of coffee. 😉

Sherry, I think you asked what I have planned for after retirement. Well, the week after I retire, we are heading to Key West Florida with our son & new wife and some other friends. Then at the beginning of November, my sister and I are taking a road trip to Myrtle Beach South Carolina to meet up with a bunch of friends from all over the world. There will be around 12 of us, from all over the States and even 1 from Scotland and 1 from England. Can’t wait! Then in February, we’re going on a cruise with our son & his family. After that, there is nothing carved in stone, although my husband wants to go to California and visit Catalina Island and San Diego. That will probably be in September 2017. There’s my life in a nutshell!

Have a good day everyone…..check on you later!

Hugs!

Morning all!

Walk is done and now thinking about breakfast! Maybe crepes again? My first attempt yesterday at crepes was a success in the taste department (filled with strawberries and coconut cream) and not so much success in structure of the actual crepe! The third of the batch did not tear so I’m hopeful!

My weight is back down in the 118’s so that made me feel great today! 🙂

I successful finished the back-to-school underwear, sock, and shoe shopping yesterday as well. Today is grocery shopping.

Dida, so glad you’re feeling better and that your second fast day was a success!

Kitty, good luck! You will be successful if you just keep going with this and don’t give up!

Cinque, I was thinking maybe you had a long day of babysitting that wore you out! At least you did get all that meal prep done. What did you prep ahead of time for meals?

Lori! What a great time you have ahead of you! How much fun that will be! Of course, when you make that trip to the San Diego area, we have to get together! 🙂

Hello to Salma, Carolina and everyone else I may have missed!

Off to make that dreaded grocery shopping list!

Hello all,

Welcome Kitty, I am new here myself, but I am confident that with the kind help and encouragement of all the wonderful people here we will be able to reach our goals.

FD today was very tough for me, I felt a little dizzy and was really hungry, but managed to stay within my 500 cals. Will make myself a nice cup of tea (lemongrass and ginger) and go to bed soon.

Salma, I think I can imagine how you feel about your parents. My mum needs more and more help but refuses to let me or anybody else do things for her, she is complaining about what I do and what I don’t do. It makes me sad to think that it will probably only get worse as she gets older, but what can you do? Just try to look after yourself and don’t feel guilty.

Congratulations to all who have lost, I hope to be one of you soon.

Never give up!

Hello again!

I’m slowly getting back in the swing of things. Unfortunately I overate at the lake!! Part of it was misunderstanding–we got there for lunch, which I thought was going to be the main meal while we were there. Mean trick, haha. They had a huge supper!!!!! But I logged in here again and that’s a good first step.

Dida, I find that once you’re in the pattern of 5:2 it’s pretty manageable for fast days. Give it a good six weeks at least!

Kitty, good luck to you! Stress and menopause take a huge toll. I know they did for me. It’s so rewarding to make progress, no matter how small, so be sure to celebrate the smallest thing–even if it’s not gaining weight anymore!

SherryAnn, we are doing the back to school shopping, too. I’m jealous of how cute my daughter looks in every single thing she tries on! I have to try on ten outfits to find one that is acceptable.

Speaking of which, Salma, you should feel good for not being over last year’s weight imo. I’m very sorry about your parent drama. I am the late child in our family and I went through that in my 30s when my son was a toddler. It was so stressful!! It’s something nobody can fully appreciate until they’ve been there…..

Lori, wow, your plans are amazing. I know you’re looking forward to the fun.

Cinque, hope you made progress with your to-do list!

So….despite the random writing I produce here, I have a master’s degree in English and sometimes teach basic English classes at the community college. I’ve gone a few semesters without being asked, though, which was a little hard on my self image even though it works out since I’m busy doing marketing for our company. Anyway, they did ask me this fall, so that made me feel good. I didn’t take it, which may not be smart for the future, but it was still good to be asked, haha. That’s my little perk for the week.

Now to do well with eating and exercise! Good luck to all!!!

Hi Kitty, How did you go? Did you get through your first fast day?

Diana, I hope you wake up in the morning feeling really good.
    I bet you will work out what you need to do to make Fast Days easier (water, salt, protein seem to be the main ones) although I must say I have easier ones and harder ones, and it seems to be fate’s whim!

Hi Lori, I think I am one and a half cylinders this morning 😉 That’s better than nothing!
    One of my dear sisters is in hospital as her virus has got into her ear and given her such bad vertigo she can’t move without vomitting. I am hoping she is well enough for me to visit her this afternoon. And I am taking my granddaughter again this evening. So much to fit in before then too! I need a PA!

I do hope that horrible rash goes! Drink lots of water, it helps with so many things!

Wow, what retirement plans you have! Wonderful!

Sherry yes, when I mind my granddaughter I remember how hard it was when I was a full time mum. Soooo exhausting! (Don’t know how you do it!). But being grandma is fun because I get small clear times and I can (usually) recover quickly afterwards. I still could do with a PA though!

Our food prep was mostly for my daughter’s family as her hungry husband needs lunches for work, and she wanted evening meals sorted. We made dal, rice, butter chicken, roasted stuffed potatoes, and tortilla stacks. (Now you carbless people, don’t faint in horror! 😉 her choices, and lots of veggies in everything.) I brought home enough butter chicken for a meal, and a tortilla stack that makes 6 portions (4 in the freezer now). It is very yummy.
    Next time we will plan better though so we take less time.

Carolina, such a pity about the food mix up at the lake, but a couple of good days should even you out. I hope you get them 🙂
    Congrats for that invitation to teach!
    I got all my referees sorted and the article I had to write done, so lots of success! (I still need a PA though)

Salma, I hope things are going well (as well as can be expected!). I hope the flat adjustments are happening smoothly, that your parents are coping, that the days are getting cooler and that the work people shut up! All power to you with everything you are juggling! Big shiny medal! http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/204724/204724,1317268372,2/stock-vector-eps-great-victory-concept-with-gold-medal-cups-and-ribbon-banner-with-shiny-confetti-falling-85580620.jpg

Cheers all!

Good Morning!

Great night’s sleep and barely an itch this morning! Whew! I’m ready for boot camp and will head there in about 45 minutes…but first, more coffee!

I had a horrible eating day yesterday. You name something I shouldn’t eat and it went in my mouth. Ugh! Today WILL be a much better day in that regard.

Sherry…for sure we will get together when we make it to San Diego! I love meeting online friends IRL(in real life). I met 2 when we were in Seattle last year. Fun! When I go to Myrtle Beach in November, the group is all girls that met on an online running group back in 2011. We have gotten together 1 other time in San Francisco a couple years ago. Our group will be a bit bigger this time….some I’ll be meeting for the first time.

As expected after yesterday’s eating binge, the scale is up a couple pounds. Lots of water and green tea for me today.

Oops…..time to get ready to work out! Have a great day!

OK, here goes another diet. I am 59 years old 5’3” and weigh 175 lbs or @ 80 kgs…Goal is to get to 130 lbs or @ 59 kgs before my big 60. This fast diet looks interesting and at this point I am all into trying something that could actually last. Of course I will have to factor in my cocktails, but this still looks like fun to me.

Wish me luck
    Jeanne from Delaware USA

I started this a week ago. No real issues just a slight headache and that’s probably from not having coffee. I’ve been trying to cut down on the caffeine. I will be 54 this year and with menopause I’ve gained weight and it will not come off, so I too am hoping this will work. Best of luck,

Gale from Maryland USA

Hi Joneill and Maryland and welcome:

Here are some tips that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi girls,

The MOST WONDERFUL DAY OF THE YEAR is officially today! Kids went back to school! 🙂 They were a combo of happy to see their friends and scared at starting a new grade (I remember that feeling). I did some more grocery shopping I had to do, unloaded it all and then sat in amazement for a few moments as there was not a sound to be heard…no one calling me for something or asking me to make them food!

Weight still in the 118’s today…yay for maintaining!

Dida, so sorry for your dizzy spell! Is it lack of food or caffeine do you think? Are you getting enough protein? In any case, I hope today is a better one for you! I love your mantra, “Never Give Up”! 😉 As for your mum, as I told Salma, the elderly rarely ever want outside help in their homes. It has to be gently nudged into their lives (we own a senior in-home care business). Sometimes they don’t want the intrusion and sometimes they feel they can’t afford it (though often times this isn’t the case!). Sometimes families have introduced a caregiver as a friend who’s helping out and they pay for the service themselves secretly! I hope you can get some help with your mum! Let me know if you want an agency referral in your area.

Elizabeth (Carolina), I know what you mean about meals at parties…you just don’t know what to expect sometimes…like the shower I went to above where I thought they’d have food I could eat…they didn’t so I over-did it on the chips! 🙁 All you can do is do your best and as you said, get back on the horse the next day! Congrats on the little ego boost of being asked back to teach! A Masters in English…you little smarty pants! 😉

Cinque, Will keep your sweet sister in my prayers. Poor thing! As I said earlier, when my mom had it, she couldn’t even get out of bed without the world spinning around her and then ending up on the floor. She had to crawl to the bathroom. Funny re: your talk of needing a PA! I keep telling my hubby that we or at least HE needs one to stay organized and get all the little stuff done that keeps falling between the cracks when you’re running 3 business offices and have 4 kids! A friend of mine had one when she was a business owner and said she was a lifesaver! And, YUM! Can I come for dinner? The meals you two prepped sound wonderful! You like a lot of Indian food, don’t you? So tasty!

Lori, YAY for the end of the itchy rash! Yes, I remember you meeting Jayne last year in Seattle. I don’t know how much of a tour guide I’d be, as she was for you, being that I live about 40 minutes north of San Diego proper, but I’d love to get together with the hubby’s for dinner! It would be so fun to get this group here together to meet in person. As I said, I can fit at least a few of you in my place in Honolulu

Hi Jeanne and Gale! This will work for you as long as you keep plugging away and don’t get discouraged. If you mess up, there’s always a fast the next day to minimize the damage! I’m a slow loser and didn’t give it my all for the first 2-3 months. I didn’t have a lot to lose but at 5’2″ (well, I used to be that tall at least!), every bit of weight is too much. I lost 16 lbs. in a little less than a year and am now working on maintaining it~ something I have NEVER been good at, but now, with this plan, I seem to be! It only took me 53 years to get to this point! Good luck!

Time to get dinner in the slowcooker and do like Cinque and prepare some make-ahead meals to make the school week go easier! Bye!

Sherry

Oh Sherry….we will definitely get together when I make it back to California……or Honolulu!! I love Hawaii and hope to get back there one day.

My husband is intent on getting to Catalina Island, so that is high on the priority list.

Enjoy your peace and quiet today! I’m sure it seems very different!

Hugs!

Hi everyone thank you very much for your support and advice.
    I had my first fast day yesterday and I feel it went very well. I was just under the 500 calories for the day I didn’t feel hungry but in the evening I did feel a little fuzzy headed.
    From reading through all your post I think that was a lack of fluids. Normal eating day today and I didn’t over do it so that was good !
    My second fast day of this week will be tomorrow will repeat what I did yesterday and hopefully it will go well. I just keep reading back through all your posts which are really helpful when your new to this.
    All the best everyone.

I envy you, Sherry!!!

Welcome, Jeanne and Maryland! You’re from adjoining states. That’s neat. We lived in DE briefly. It will take some adjustment to find your groove but 5:2 is very doable. Don’t expect the results the younger people have, though.

Lori, glad the itching is gone.

Cinque, your food does sound wonderful.

Today I was fell victim to chips! That should get better when someone goes to school and stops leaving temptation out on the counter!!! At least I had a nice walk last night and I got on here today. Slow and steady….

Hello friends!

Cinque.. I do hope your sister gets better.. I had experienced a middle ear infection a fea years back and it is just miserable. I hope you get to visit her but also pace yourself and don’t exhaust ourself running around (Believe me, I know what I am talking about!). Thank you for the big shiny gold medal.. it makes everything seem a little less onerous. I just got my mom’s CT scan report back and it seems that all is okay with the exception of some tightening of the veins (vascular constriction) which was probably due to undiagnosed blood pressure issues (that are now medicated) and that are causing the forgetfulness and the onset of dementia, but no tumours or major trauma that may have caused the fainting spells. The renovation is under way.. both parents are complaining of the noise, but I pretend not to hear them.. how else is it going to happen? Work is still very very challenging and I have started with phase I of the implementation of the painful changes which is making everyone edgy. So, you can imagine that this is not a fun place to be during the day.

I had an appointment with the nutritionist yesterday, after 2 weeks of the protein thingy. Result? 81.2 Kg (only 800 gms down). Initially, I was really annoyed, particularly as the protein diet is anything but pleasant especially during summer as you do not get to eat any of the gorgeous (and I do mean GORGEOUS) summer fruits or partake of wine. So, for all this sacrifice, 800 gms seemed miniscule. However, the fat/water/muscle measuing contraption announced that I had actually lost 3 Kgs of FAT!!! The rest, it seems is increase in muscle and 2 Kgs of water. So, I am happy about that, but, call me crazy, I want to see the digital scale show that magic number of 80 Kg.s before my birthday. So, it is another 10 days of push through. Let’s hope it works.

Joneill1980, you sound like you are on the same quest for the holy grail! When is your birthday? Mine is too close for comfort. I think you will find 5:2 fun and very doable. I had done every diet under the sun.. and I am here to stay with this one.

Gale.. welcome to our group.. come here often and join in. We have become a group of friends as well as a support structure for each other during our ups and downs. The one thing that I will say has been different for me about doing the 5:2 is that I have been on the forum and have vented and been soothed and have listened and empathized.. it is a warm and accepting group and I think you will benefit from joining in.

Kitty.. welcome and well done on finishing your first FD (Fast Day). Fuzziness is usually due to lack of caffeine and/or water. Drink plenty of fluids and your body will soon get used to this new way of doing things.

CC.. A Master’s in English.. I should watch my words since English is my second language! So glad you were asked.. it IS always nice to be asked even if you don’t actually want to do it. Chips? Is that the US chips (i.e. the UK crisps)? or the English chips (i.e. American French fries)?? The English language is more complicated than we think.

Sherry.. I have finally convinced my mom to get live-in help.. now I have to find it. I do hope that we find someone who is kind, clean and efficient and has a likeable personality. By the way, you guys, you know that you can hire a virtual PA through websites such as (www.elance.com) and similar? You can get some really good deals. It might not be an altogether bad idea. Sometimes, it is cheaper and more efficient to hire someone to do things for us.

I wish you all a great day/evening.

Salma

Viewing 50 posts - 3,951 through 4,000 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.