Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,201 through 3,250 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi! I’m brand new to this and did so well, yesterday. I only ate 500 calories. I’m planning on sticking with the 5:2 diet. When I plugged in my calories today, I was disheartened to see that I’d consumed 2300 cal today .. ugh .. Planning to do much better tomorrow. To lose weight, we need to consume 2000 calories on the “days off”, correct? I weigh 220 lbs and am hoping to reach 160.

Good morning everyone.
    Hello CactusRose..and welcome to our forum.. you will find people here very supportive. I am not sure what number of calories you need to eat on NFDs (non-Fast Days) as it depends on your weight and age, but personally, I don’t worry too much about it on NFDs. Of course, I try to eat healthily and wisely but the benefit of this 5:2 method for me is that I don’t have to keep counting calories. Others do it differently, and everyone marches to their own drum. Of course, you will lose more weight if you are more careful, but for me, I need a method that I can incorporate in my everyday life and doing it this way is good for me. I just fast two days a week and for the rest of the time I eat normally and don’t worry about it (which does NOT mean I stuff pizza and ice cream πŸ™‚

Cinque.. the prospect of starting your project sounds amazing and doing it in conjunction with doing good is even more wonderful. We are all behind you rooting for you. How exciting!! I dream of leaving this crazy work life and setting up something calmer. Of course, having your own business is no walk in the park in terms of the dedication and time, but what fun to do something you love and to be your own boss? I want the franchise for Lebanon! πŸ™‚ In fact, I have a friend who had a very high profile job, very well paid and with a lot of prestige. She gave it all up and spent some time thinking about what she really wants to do. She came across a cheesemaking course during a trip to the States. She took the course and the rest is history! She started messing about with making cheese, just for fun and, completely unplanned, it has blossomed into a thriving business and she is now supplier to some hotels and artisanal shops and she has her own well regarded brand. She loves working with her hands and creating different kinds of cheese from locally produced organic milk. I am hoping that something along those lines happens with you Cinque. Much positive energy and positive thoughts are going in your direction.

Yesterday, I had a friend over for dinner and made a rather complicated dish that I had not made for a long time consisting of courgettes stuffed with mince lamb, onions and pine kernels with a cooked yoghurt sauce and eaten with vermicelli rice. The courgettes have to be lightly fried after being stuffed and then braised in stock, the yoghurt cooked and then the courgettes are further cooked with the yoghurt before adding lightly friend garlic. Really yummy. Not exactly diet food, but it was my only meal of the day. The courgettes were bought with the idea of making a healthier dish with a bolognese sauce but.. ah well.. I got it into my head to make this one. I am battling jetlag and tried to keep myself awake and really tired before going to bed. Objective reached. I slept for 6 straight hours and woke up at 7 instead of the usual 3 or 4 in the morning.

I guess that I had better start my day instead of sit in bed typing and having coffee.. no rest for the wicked, eh?

Have a good day everyone. Today, I will attempt a fast day to get my 2nd FD out of the way for the week. .

Salma

Hi all
    I just wrote and thought I posted, but it seems to have vanished- maddening!
    Anyway, welcome Cactusrose, we all do things a bit our own way here but I do juices and a light soup on my FDs. I go to a slimming group to try and keep me in check for the 5 days and was down a half yesterday, not much but down not up.
    This week I am trying to be careful today and tomorrow as have a w/e away with friends in London on Friday , eating out, wine and shopping, all my faves!
    Lori, glad the scales dropped that lovely meal you had.
    I don’t do any formal exercise tho I have wondered about Pilates, think there is a class nearby. Could not make myself do a boot camp like Lori!
    Cinque, glad your project sounds like a plan, you will enjoy working with the others to set up your cafe as a refuge and time out for folk. Exciting times ahead!
    Susie

Good Morning!

I love this forum! You all are so busy and doing exciting things! Cinque…I’m so intrigued by your project! Wish I was there to help you..it would give me a focus in my retirement. I need to find something..still hoping my nutrition certification yields me some work. I haven’t really gotten going with it so far. Kind of waiting until my work days are done and then I’ll form some plans.

Sherry…pilates…hmmm. I have never tried it, but wonder if it would bother my lower back. I have a chronic low back issue that I have to be careful of. Certain things at boot camp have to be modified so I don’t injure myself. My core is stronger, so if I find the opportunity, I’ll try pilates some day. Do you use a machine? I’ve seen those with all sorts of pulleys etc. And Tai Chi! Interesting. Can’t wait to hear how you like it.

Salma..how lovely to have you posting! Hope things calm down on the work front for you. Your dinner last night sounds yummy…and complicated! I’m not much of a cook and when it involves all those steps, I kind of panic. If a recipe has more than a few ingredients, I move on! πŸ˜‰

Glad to see the newbies here! Let us know what you’re up to each day.

Have a great day!

Hi! I lapsed again on the checking in daily idea!! It’s taking me a while to get back on track after the holidays–after meeting my short term goal on Feb. 5 I promptly had several celebrations, including Valentine’s, and more snow days, which are killer!!! Routine is out the window, my daughter wants to bake and we’re stuck in the house. Anyway, that’s a bad excuse but it’s what happened. Yesterday I had a fast day and will again tomorrow, fingers crossed. I hope that will undo the damage and I can get back to making progress soon!!!

Welcome, cactusrose! I don’t pay a lot of attention to nonfast days but I have a few rough guidelines when I’m in the groove. I try to fast on T and Th and The rest of the weekdays, I try to have either breakfast OR lunch and no carb snacking except I allow myself an evening snack while we watch TV and unwind. The weekend I don’t think about it but I try not to do stupid mindless eating. If I stick to this I can have a slow and steady loss–it’s really quite sustainable and I don’t feel deprived once I get in the groove. I’m bad about mindless low-level stress eating.

Salma, your culinary skills are impressive!!

Susie, have a great time in London!

Lori, what does book camp entail?

I haven’t had time to read more than this page–I’m doing more “real work” for my husband’s company so that’s been another distraction from logging in.

Good luck to all!!! I’m glad to be back again and will try to do better.

Hi everybody my name is Denise and I am on my fast today. Just fasting one day a week right now and eating clean food Whole Foods the rest of the week and I am at 247 down from 267 I hope to eventually get down to about 160 so I’m very glad to be on this forum again

Welcome Denise! Glad to have you here!

Carolina…boot camp is all sorts of exercises including running, weight lifting, body weight exercises. It’s really difficult to describe. Every workout is different and we use all our muscles differently each day. Some days we do cardio boxing and hit a heavy bag…fun! It’s the hardest form of exercise I’ve ever done, but also the most rewarding in terms of body sculpting and self confidence building.

Hi all,

Just a quick pop in to say hello as I really have to finish packing! Welcome to Denise and Cactus Rose!

Salma, glad your body is getting back in the swing of things and the jet lag has subsided. How is the new job going now? Have you mixed things up at that stodgy old place?

Lori, with regard to pilates I’m doing it specifically because I have a bad lower back/SI/piriformis pain. My orthopedic recommended it to strengthen my core which would then help support my back and ease pain. Some people find a lot of relief with yoga too, but this is of course more stretching type relief. I can’t really do yoga because I’m hyper-mobile and can stretch like crazy (call me Gumby!). I’d be in these yoga classes doing things with no problem and wondering why the others couldn’t. Sounds good until I found out that all that extra mobility wasn’t keeping things in place and that’s what I needed pilates for.

Where are you Cinque? Usually you’ve posted by now! Hope it’s something fun like your little granddaughter keeping you so busy! πŸ˜‰

Have a good day all!

Oh, Lori, meant to tell you about a low carb find I bought at Trader Joe’s: Parsnip chips! They’re super yummy! Sort of like a sweet potato chip! Only 2 net carbs per 12 chip serving. Do you have a Trader Joes in your area? If not, I’m sure there’s recipes on the web for something similar!

Hiya.. and good morning..
    Up again at 3:30 this morning.. urrrrgggghhhh.. I hate it when I don’t sleep well.. it makes me grumpy and makes sticking to food decisions more difficult.

Welcome restorehope (Denise) and welcome back Carolinacatz. We are (particularly myself) up and down in our efforts here.. some better than others.. all better than me :), so join the club and come along for this year’s journey. Carolina.. part of my problem is that I am a foodaholic.. I love cooking and entertaining; I am alright as long as I don’t have temptation around, but am very weak-willed around good food. The fact that this WOL (way Of Life) can fit into LIFE and allows me to meander on the road to a lower healthier weight without feeling like a total loser (I wish!) is what keeps me trying again and again.. and focusing on the fact that I am a little lighter this year than I was last year.

Sherry.. thanks for asking.. the job is far more complicated than I initially thought. There is a huge battle of big (and I do mean BIG) egos that I have to maneuver very carefully, and I find myself stuck between fighting giants and trying not to become collateral damage, as it were. The organization needs a lot of reform, but this is impeded by the old guard (board) who think they know everything there is to know about running an organization. If I thought this job would help me calm down, I was very sorely mistaken. I do not like to quit and I am a bit stubborn, but I wonder how wise it is to need to succeed in this endeavour at serious risk to health and sanity. I fantasize about doing something that allows me to be my own boss and gives me flexibility and enough income to do the things I like. This job is mentally and physically challenging, but I am getting too old and tired for the battles required… or maybe it is just that I have not had enough sleep?

Lori, I have been thinking of taking up Pilates (&/or Tai Chi). It is particularly good, as Sherry says, for strengthening the core/back muscles that would help with back pain (which I occasionally get). I don’t really like huffing and puffing, so a stretch-type exercise would probably suit me better. The challenge, of course, is to find the time to do this in between traveling and a long work day.

So, yesterday was supposed to be an FD. I was invited to lunch out by my parents. My mother sounded dejected when I said I could not make it, so I went along (Yes.. guilt rides are just as effective at this age too). I did not do badly and only had a salad in the evening, but that meant that I went over the 500 cal mark. I estimate that I had about 1200 or so. Not too bad, but not exactly an FD. So, I will attempt to have an FD today although I have a book club meeting this evening, where cheese and wine are usually served. If I don’t manage it today, I will try again tomorrow. I NEED to get this 2nd FD this week to feel that I have gone back to the basics after much straying.

Wish me luck, ladies, and have a great day.

Salma

Hi everyone, yes grandma-ing is exhausting, and I desperately need to get some other work done. Just had a nap with the Bub though, so I feel more human. She is still asleep and I don’t want to wake her with the tap of the keyboard, so I am popping in here on my iPad.

Hi Cactus Rose, I found that concentrating on good fast days meant that my non fast days gradually fell into line. i gradually found I could manage with smaller portions and less snacking, and over the seven months I have been doing it my tastes have changed away from junkier food. So don’t give yourself too bad a time until you have tracked yourself over a month or so.

Hmm, about three hours have passed since I wrote those two paragraphs. It’s been that sort of a day.

Salma such a treat to get a good long post! And those stuffed courgettes sound absolute heaven. Such comfort food and very good for your health if can resist eating the whole tray! I have fasted today, so I really really want to have some for tomorrow, please pretty please. πŸ˜‹

My community food idea is for a not for profit business, but even though my health is so bad, I’ve got enough help, and I am spearheading it all, so I will think of myself as a great business woman and entrepreneur! I do wish you were here to help me Lori! It is exciting times ahead Susie! Our thing is to make ‘eating well easy’.

Best wishes for a great London trip!

CarolinaCatz, I’m so glad you popped back here! Oh the disaster of being snowed in with a baker! Good luck with your fast day!

Lovely to see you here Denise! 🌺

Are you all packed Sherry?
    I’ve managed a whole post! Now there is a little girl who needs her grandma to help her bath.

Cheers all πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯πŸ₯

2 posts arrived while I was posting! Parsnip chips, yum!

Salma I’m glad to hear more about the job. Bad news not to have the board onside, you’ll need to be realistic about what is possible, and that is so disappointing when so much more needs to be done. If only you had proper support you would find it energising and fulfilling. Sending lots of good luck wishes.
    Skip the wine and cheese at book club, you can have it next time. Then that second fast day will be done and dusted! That’s my 2 cents worth!

Now, bath time!

Great posts this morning!

Salma…I feel bad that your job is stressful and you feel like you’re battling all the way. Only you can decide if it is worth it all. I know I am ready for the next chapter in my life and am anxiously looking forward to my retirement. Sometimes I worry that the money will not hold out, but then I think, it will all work out one way or the other. I hope things get better for you Salma.

Cinque…how lovely that you are getting to spend so much time with your granddaughter. Special times indeed.

Sherry…we don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby. There is one near my sister and we sometimes go when I’m visiting her. I would try the chips for sure.

Well, the cat has taken up residence on my lap again this morning. She has about a 1/2 hour and then I’ll be up and running to get to boot camp.

Have a good day everyone!

Good day everyone! Please excuse me for being absent … Its been so cold here (in the -20’s and -30’s and with the wind chill feels like -40’s) in Ontario the air is so humid that -10 is much colder than say Alberta’s -40. So … I think I fell into a ‘cabin fever’. Just feeling low and racy at the same time and not going out of the house much at all.
    I have been keeping my calories below 1200 consistently for 20 days now ….except for some potato chips last night … and a night out a few weeks ago!! I don’t feel like any weight has come off … maybe a slight bit. This makes me so mad because when I was younger weight would just fall off with no trying. And if I did try , I would see results right away ..which is always great incentive.
    I am keeping busy with the development of a web site for my business. I have hired a web designer and we began the process two days ago. I have been preparing for it .. gathering all my pictures into neat and tidy files … and now the writing begins. I will be writing Herb Monographs. These are like essays on a single plant. I am beginning with St. John’s Wort… and next will be Elderberry. I love the process … but as a mother and with homeschooling my 16 year old son .. it is so hard to immerse myself the way I really need to in order to get this done well …. so I am feeling a little uphill climb.
    With the weather like this it makes me realise how easy and wonderful it is to get outside when it is lovely and warm … and I am gearing myself up to start walking again regularly when the weather turns. Spring is around the corner.
    I ordered some seeds yesterday and will be buying some soil to get them started inside under lights. Teasel is one I could not find in Canada … Dipsacus sylvestris. I could only find the cultivated variety of teasel … but need the wild European. Found lots n the UK but ended up ordering from the USA…the UK had a minimum order. I will also be growing viola’s, angelica, chamomile, borage and ashwaganda. Exciting eh?
    So …. more about diet … well, I have discovered roasted vegetables. MMMmmm loving zuccinni (courgettes?) and yams … but trying not to have too many of them.
    I want to hear more Cinque about your food network idea. Sounds amazing!! Will go back and read the posts I have missed …. and catch up with you all. I love the idea of all of us being spread around the world … wouldn’t it be nice to see pictures of the different landscapes and weather we each are having? I am here freezing my butt off and others are dealing with extreme heat … isn’t technology wonderful!?
    Okay, I must be off and on my way … my daughter is still asleep and I have to get her up for school!!
    All the best to all of you!

Hello! I made it on two days in a row, yippee!! Small steps–hoping to get back in a routine and continue making progress.

I didn’t really know what courgettes were so I looked it up! Zucchini! I was envisioning some heavy pastry or something, haha.

Briar Rose, I’d love to see your website. We take elderberry all winter and it’s served us well, KNOCK ON WOOD!!!! I love roasted veggies too but the rest of the fam does not so I end up eating them all and that’s not good.

Lori, good job on boot camp. I get migraines and have a wonky neck so jolty type things are out for me. It sounds a bit like crossfit?

Salma, I think I’m a bit of foodie as well. I actually don’t mind splurging on good food but unfortunately I can also eat junk!!! This plan suits me, though. I just need to get back in my groove that was going pretty well before Christmas/winter.

Cinque, my experience with 5/2 is much like yours. Right now I’m sort of rebooting into it but I know it will start paying off and it also kept the damage pretty minimal.

So yesterday I didn’t quite live up to my goals of no carb snacking but the day wasn’t a disaster either so I know next week will be better. Today is fast day, which usually goes well, and I’m also planning to go to yoga. I haven’t exercised in a week, which is unusual for me. The ice storm here just threw me for a loop and it’s also now cold and windy. Not Ontario cold of course, but I’ve let it trip me up.

Good luck, everyone!!

How interesting BriarRose! I’m toying with the idea of joining a site that helps you find writing jobs. I’m just trying to decide if that is something that I could do. When I did my Nutrition consulting course, I enjoyed the first part of the exam that was answering questions with short essays. I’m thinking it could be a good source of supplemental income once I’m retired. Still pondering. I wish you much luck with your new website and getting your plants underway!

Good morning, ladies.

I’ve finally prevailed over the UTI, but it took most of a week. Sherry, so glad you were able to get better without antibiotics. I had not listened to early symptoms so let mine get worse than I should have.

Salma, good luck today. I have the same trouble with getting two days in a week–seems like some sort of social engagement always comes up. One day a week is easy for me, but two . . . Still, I, too am making a new push now to get those two days in. Good luck with the book club–perhaps fast all day and then allow one small glass of wine (just 100 cals)? Actually, Cinque’s advice is better, but I don’t think I’d be strong enough to pass things up completely.

BriarRose, I know exactly what you mean about things not being like they were when we were younger. I spent my teens and 20s actually trying to gain weight. Couldn’t seem to put on any pounds no matter what I ate. Then I coasted through my 30s and 40s blissfully putting on a pound or two every year and not caring cause I needed them, or they didn’t hurt much. And now . . . I already eat pretty cleanly (no junk food and almost nothing processed, little sugar). Wine and cheese are my downfall. And good Mediterranean food–Salma, your courgettes had my mouth watering.

Hugs to everyone else. Not fasting today, but hoping to tomorrow.

MM

Hi ladies,

I’m pathetically still packing. It’s a hard thing to add on top of all the other daily stuff I do as a mom! I did manage to get a nice lentil curry in the crockpot for dinner later and did my pilates today so I guess I’m not completely pathetic?

Salma, sorry to hear that the job isn’t what you thought it would be. I hope you find something that makes you happy in the future. It’s hard to work for someone and hard to work for yourself, but better if you’re doing what you love. On that note, my hubby just went to a conference for the case managers at the hospitals that refer to us. He just found out that Google thinks the home care business is a good one to be in and with investor backing is opening up locations in major metro areas and paying caregivers more and charging less than the industry standard (they don’t care if they make money at this point) in an effort to put all of the other companies like ours out of business! Unbelievable! There’s got to be some anti-monopoly law that should put a stop to that. I honestly don’t know what we’ll do if this happens. Do you ever feel like you’re always waiting for the next shoe to drop? I do!

Cinque, sounds like you’re having a lovely time with your granddaughter. How long is the visit?

Briar Rose, sounds like you still have a teen and maybe a younger one at home like me? Nice to be able to chat with you about kid stuff in the future! How fun planting all those healthy herbs/plants and utilizing them for healing purposes! Sounds wonderful!

Hi Carolina, glad to see you back. In the spirit of this thread, you are supposed to divulge what wonderful things you ate when you partake! So how was the brunch at the Biltmore? Must have been devine!

MM, fingers crossed you get those 2 FD’s in this week. It is hard but I’m sure you’ll get back in the swing of things. Wishing you the best!

I’m down to my low weight range right now, so happy about that. Hoping I can keep it off while gone. I don’t know if I’ll be on the thread much over the next few weeks while I’m in Hawaii but will try to pop in every now and then if possible.

Until then, best of luck to everyone!

Sherry

Hello everyone, it is the evening of a cool day. I am on grandma duty, just for a short time while the parents meet friends for an early meal. They are bringing me back something! (Noodle Kingdom, my favourite!) The tired tot is already asleep. So I get to write!

So…. let’s see what’s been happening around the world to the Mid-Fifties!

Lovely to have you back Briar Rose, I can understand the cabin fever! What extreme weather! I’m glad you have your writing and planning to do.
    I hope you see some results from your dieting soon. I am realising how lucky I am that the two light fasts a week are all I need to lose the extra weight. On the other hand, while I was not a dieter, I was overweight most of my life so I think it is about time I got the good luck!!!!! (I just want you all to have it too).
    Good luck to you and your son with the homeschooling (at that age I wished I could send my daughter off to boarding school!) But I know how well it can suit some kids, and how for others it is the only option.

Thanks for your interest in my project. It has been my focus for quite a few years now, coming out of my own experience of struggling to make good meals due to chronic illness, and then realising how so many other people struggle too. The website is http://www.yamdaisy.com

Let’s all do word pictures at least, of our landscapes and weather! I’ll do it next post because this one will be so long already!

I agree with you about roasted vegetables!!! Ooh the intense flavour and the caramelisation on the edges! I have a recipe for roasted ratatouille and I like it better than the saucepan version.

My favourite at the moment is cooking slices of zucchini on the ridged castiron pan.

Hi CarolinaCatz! Hooray for being regular here! It is so nice to catch up often. I hope you had a good time at yoga. Yoga is my favourite (although I loved it when I did Tai Chi about thirty years ago).
    Has the weather got any better?

Lori writing sounds a good possibility! You might need a website too soon!

MM that UTI really knocked you around. You will love it when you get your zing back, soon I hope.
    And well, it was only refusing cheese and wine for ONE book club, not all of them!
    But then, you could still do that one glass of wine on a fast day no worries!
    And wouldn’t it hit you, on an empty stomach!

No Sherry, you are not completely pathetic. In fact I’d give you a medal every day. You’ll get the packing done eventually! Before the plane leaves. I hope you can log in from Hawaii every now and then! Welcome back to the neighbourhood!

Bye for now!

Good Morning!

Cinque…you are so great at including everyone in your posts! How do you do it? Hope you enjoyed the meal you were brought last night…sounds good. Oh, and roasted veggies..YUM!

Sherry….I have lost track of when you leave for Hawaii, but I wish you safe travels and a wonderful time. Are you going solo? I can’t imagine how your husband manages with the kids when you are gone. You are one busy lady!

MM…glad you’re finally feeling better. I have heard that UTIS have a habit of rebounding, so be vigilant!

I was oh so tempted to skip boot camp this morning. This often happens when I attempt 3 days in a row. I talked myself into going and I’m dressed and ready. Just have to warm up the car as it is quite cold. 15F Brrr….

Have great days everyone!

Good morning!!

Sherry, sadly the Biltmore brunch fell through as my daughter got a sinus infection and we went to Urgent Care instead! It is rescheduled for next Sunday at the moment. Have a wonderful trip to Hawaii! I forgot where you are–how long is the flight?? I like to see new places but beyond a five hour flight is an ordeal to me. My husband loves to travel, though. He is going to Croatia in May with the Sierra Club, combining it with a biz trip to Netherlands, France, etc…..

Lori, congrats on making boot camp!!!!

BriarRose, I have a 12 year old at home. My older one is 20 and is in college. He went to boarding school his last two years of high school. It was a public STEM school (science, tech, etc) and it was fabulous. Beyond fabulous!!!

Cinque, we have had the most bizarre weather this winter. Today it is sunny and nice, mid fifties for the high. BUT earlier this week we had an ice storm and lost two days of school. A couple of weeks ago we had a foot of heavy wet snow and lost three and a half days of school. Christmas we had torrential rain and it was so muggy some people ran the ac and flowers were starting to bloom. It’s kind of scary!!!

I’m hoping I do a decent job this weekend of not totally going off the rails. My basic plan is Monday – Thursday are either fast days or low carbs/lunch OR breakfast/little snacking. Weekends I don’t pay a lot of attention to it but I try not to lose it….this is easier if I’ve become used to eating well, which is what I’m trying to get back to…..

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Oops, MM, forgot to “speak” to you! Glad you are over the UTI. Ick. I wasn’t following earlier but if you’re interested I’ve had good luck combining cranberry caps with oil of oregano…even on top of an antibiotic if it’s hanging on. They are no fun!

Hello my comrades-in-arms..
    So much going on with everyone!

Sherry.. I am so upset with Google on your behalf! Why don’t they just stick to what they know how to do and leave the rest alone? It is so unfair when giants battle it out with the smaller companies and we end up with uni-everything. You just have to look at how all malls are now almost exactly the same, with the same shops and the same look, whether you are in Spain, US or India. There is something to be said for globalization, but strangling uniqueness and specialized services is not it! Over the weekend when I was slumped in front of the TV systematically demolishing my chocolate cache, I watched “You’ve Got Mail” again and it was all about that. I hope that you will not be terribly affected Sherry. The thing to do is to try to find something to offer your clients that they would not be able to offer. As a smaller outfit, you have a closer view of the ground than the giant and that will give you certain advantages over size!

Cinque.. I am afraid I did not heed your advice.. I did okay until 8:30 when the food was dished out. |The host was Norwegian and she had arrived that day from Norway bringing all sorts of Norwegian salmon with her and she presented 5 different salmon dishes in addition to the cheese and wine. I am afraid I succumbed to temptation (and rather glad I did), but it was not too bad. Do you think I can combine the two semi-ok days and consider them as one FD? Alternatively, I am still on a fast today so I might just continue and chalk up another FD.

Carolina.. your husband is going to LOVE Croatia.. I went this summer to Croatia and Bosnia and loved it. I like to travel (but not on business) but I do far too much of it. I will have another trip to the States in May (18 hour trips with the layover of around 4-5 hours.. exhausting, not to mention the jet lag that throws me off totally for more than a week after returning). I am so glad that my kids are grown.. what a lot of work and responsibility it is when they are in school/college. I feel privileged that I am able to focus on myself now.. oops! Spoken too soon, I now have my parents living here and THAT is a lot of responsibility. I usually go to see them for an hour or an hour and a half every day after work. It sounds like a lot of work, but (in an effort at “re-framing” which I am always going on about)it is actually a great bonus to be able to spend time with them before it is too late.

MM.. wasn’t it you who lived in Bosnia a while back? I am glad your UTI is better.. they are a misery. I am also glad that someone else is struggling
    with two FDs a week because of social obligations (is that an awful thing to say?) I hope that both of us straighten out our lives (or willpowers) soon. Your comment about the book club made me smile. You and I both KNEW that I would not stick to it πŸ™‚

To everyone else.. have a great weekend and stay well.

Salma

Hi ladies..
    I posted a LONG post but somehow it has disappeared πŸ™
    I know all of us have had this happen to them at one point or another, but it is SO irritating.
    Anyway.. I thought to say hi and to say that I have inadvertently scored an FD today, which made up for my succumbing to the cheese and wine do (You KNEW that I would do that didn’t you MM πŸ™‚ ) I am now having a glass of warm milk before going to bed on an almost empty stomach with the comforting thought that I will have a nice breakfast tomorrow.

I had responded to each one of you but it is all gone.. so just know that you are all in my thoughts.
    Good night

Salma

It is bizarre weather all around the world at the moment, and our own stupid fault it seems.
    Very mild weird weather here though, so I won’t complain and I’ll hope that the nice sunny days continue for you northerners.

Thanks Lori, I like going through posts otherwise I completely miss some special bit of info, but oh dear I get so confused when there are posts on the previous page (as I am looking at the website rather than getting emails).

Saturday morning here and Sunday fast day tomorrow.

Hello my comrades-in-arms..

So.. yesterday I posted a very long post which seems to have evaporated into thin air.
    I tried to post a shorter note again in the evening.. same thing. This must have happened to most of us at one point on this forum, but it is so irritating.
    Anyway.. I am keeping this very short as a trial to see if this will actually get posted.

Salma

Okay.. so it seems to have worked. What an odd thing to have happened.

MM.. I am so glad you got over the UTI.. these are so painful and unpleasant. You KNEW that I would succumb to the cheese and wine, didn’t you? The host of the bookclub that evening was a Norwegian lady who had just arrived back from Norway that day and had brought some wonderful Norwegian salmon and made 5 different dishes with it. The food was wonderful and I am afraid that my willpower did not hold up. However, I made up for it by having an FD yesterday inadvertently. The day just finished with my having eaten hardly anything. So, when I got home at around 10 p.m., I decided to sleep without eating so that I would get in my 2 FDs. I really did not think I would be able to do it, but I did. Yaay!

Sherry, I hope you have a great time in Hawaii. I am so sorry to hear about the trouble with Google. As I had said in my ‘vanished’ post, it is awful when the really big giants do battle with the smaller operations.. you only have to look at malls to see the sameness in everything.. you can be in India or Idaho and you see the same shops everywhere. The little(er) guy is nearer the ground, though, and has a better view, so the strength is in finding the service that you can provide to the client that the giant can’t because of their size. Good luck.

Carolina, my kids are grown so I am lucky in that I can re-focus on myself.. at least that was the theory.. now that my parents live in the same city after having been away for 28 years, it means I go to see them every day for an hour or two. When they first decided to come here I thought my whole life will change, and in a way it has, but I am also grateful that I get to spend time with them before it is too late (that is my way of “reframing” any extra responsibilities this new situation entail). However, I do understand the worry and hard work it is to be caring for adolescents .. that was one of the most difficult stages of my life. The worry about school and university alone are enough to wear anyone’s nerves thin.

Hi BriarRose.. Please do send us the link to your website when you have it all set up.. how exciting!

Cinque.. you came to mind when I was traveling in the States recently, I had a meal at a place called SweetGreen (www.swweetgreen.com). I tired one of their salads with lentils and coriander that was absolutely delicious. Very simple, clean food that makes you feel wonderful. Yaay for YamDaisy.. I hope you really get it off the ground.

Lori.. are you still doing the 8-hour window? I will work myself back to that, but I am not sticking to that too closely now as I am just trying to get back into the regular 5:2 and perhaps starting walking for 30 minutes 5 days a week (soon.. not yet).

Have a great weekend everyone.. btw, where is Milena?

Salma

So glad that you got your second fast day in Salma! πŸŽ‰πŸ’πŸŽˆπŸŽ
    But how annoying to lose your posts.

I looked up Sweet Green and it looks just lovely. I have just been given an inspiring book written by someone who makes meals and then bicycles around the suburb filling orders. They are all salads, but full of roast veggies and other things that make them a whole meal.
    YamDaisy won’t be able to use the more expensive ingredients, but certainly the style of beautiful combinations that will travel well and keep for a few days, will suit us perfectly.

I hope Milena can pop in soon, and I would love to hear how Makica is going.

But hi to everyone who IS here at the moment! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Good Morning!

Look at that Salma…an inadvertent fast day! Good for you. I only managed 1 FD last week. To answer your question about the eating window, yes, most days I don’t eat until Noon or 1 and then am finished by 6. I am mainly focusing on my low carb eating at the moment, but try to work some extended fasting in with it as well. I’ve been doing a lot of reading by Dr Jason Fung regarding low carb and fasting. He mainly deals with diabetics, which I thankfully am not, but there is a lot of it in my family and I am desperate to not join the ranks. He has a blog and I’ve also gotten his new book, which I am working my way through. Quite interesting.

I, too, am missing Makica & Milena. They both always had such interesting posts. Come back ladies!!!

Nothing special going on for me today. I do have to try to plan my menus for next week so I can do a shop. The husband has requested beef noodle soup, so I’ll make a big pot of that probably tomorrow. Today I’ll make some meatballs for me as I like to grab a couple meatballs with a little marinara sauce & mozz cheese and call it dinner! Good low carb eating. I fried some salmon patties yesterday and today for lunch I’ll have a pile of baby spinach leaves with a salmon pattie cut up on top. For dressing I’ll use guacamole & fresh salsa…sounds good, right?

Oh my, I have rambled on. Hope you all have a lovely day & weekend!

Just a quick check in to keep in the habit!!!!

Congrats on the inadvertent fast! Wow–that hardly ever happens to me.

Congrats on the good, healthy food. It’s worth splurging on!!!

We went out for a late Valentine’s dinner last night and I honestly put on several pounds of water weight. Crazy! This was an upscale restaurant, too!!! And tonight we’re trying the new pizza place–it’s Detroit style, which is max calories, but they also offer thin crust so it shouldn’t be too bad if I don’t overdo it.

I did have three days of exercise in a row. Getting there…..

I have never in my entire life had an inadvertent fast day! I wonder if I ever will?

I hope those eating out places are wonderful CC. Congrats on all that sustained exercise!

I love planning menus Lori. I want to do more, but all my focus is on eating the freezer clear, for me, and responding to visitor demands. Made a delicious chicken and mushroom stew last night though!

DD and DGD are off having fun with friends this morning and I’m trying to do EVERYTHING. Will be satisfied with doing bits though, and I am. Also fasting!
    It is a beautiful morning!

Hi everyone! Just a quick pop in from HI! Today as I look out the window of my condo the wind is blowing the clouds in and out and there are white caps on the water. Very unusual day here. The last two days have been pretty nice though I went to Kailua beach with my friend who’s here visiting her daughter and we did get some drizzle. Got a lovely hour long beach walk in & then relaxed. We hit Whole Foods Market on the way back so I think today will be largely spent making some good wholesome food!

Lori, I got here Friday ( btw, it’s abort a 5 hour flight from CA, Carolina). Yes, my hubby is able to handle the kids while I’m gone, as I do when he is gone! I married well in fthat he was a guy who knew how to cook and clean, etc. when I met him. He doesn’t require a lot of babying thank goodness! And he’s a pretty great dad to boot! He knows how important it is for me to get a break and encourages it.

Carolina so sorry you missed your brunch! Well, let us know how the “make-up” brunch is! So you have kids at home too like me & Briar Rose! Good to know!

Salma, so the info my hubby got was incorrect- it wasn’t Google, but rather a guy who sold his prior business to Google, made a bunch of $ on the deal & now is going into our industry with the intention of putting everyone else out of business. Just lovely any way you slice it. Where in the states were you traveling? I’ve seen one of those restaurants you mentioned in downtown San Diego. They must be a chain operation.

Cinque, at least you clean out your freezer! I freeze leftovers and then somehow never get back to most of them and the freezer gets jammed up! Amy more news on things moving forward for Yamdaisy? I’m rooting for you that it all works out as planned! Are your granddaughter & daughter still visiting ?

Hi to everyone else!

Ok, time to shower, do bit of furniture shopping & then some cooking & baking! This week I should be able to pop in from time to time, but as of Friday when my friend from CA arrives, I will be playing tour guide & probably won’t be able to check in as much. Have a wonderful Sunday all!

Good morning one and all..
    A Fast day for me today.. let’s see how I do.
    I had a huge fish lunch with the family yesterday and it confirms that, as I grow older, fried food agrees with me less and less. Red Mullet is one of the Mediterranean best fish and also best eaten fried; with all the accompanying ‘little’ mezze dishes, it makes for a very heavy meal.
    Time to redress the balance and have a ‘clean’ fast day.

Have a great day everyone.

Salma

Good Morning!

Sherry…have a wonderful time in beautiful Hawaii! It is wonderful that your husband is self-sufficient and has no problem taking care of the kids. He is so right that you need a break periodically. Enjoy!

I’m going to have a fast day today as over the weekend I ate way too much. All low carb, but just too much volume. I made creamed spinach yesterday for dinner that was positively wonderful. It was very rich and I ate way too much. I was not feeling great after that and decided today would be a fast day. I would like to not eat until dinner tonight, but I haven’t done a 24 hr fast for a long time and not sure how it will go. We’ll see.

I was surprised to step on the scale and see a bit of a loss since Friday. Happy to see the scale going down a bit more.

Have a great day…it’s off to boot camp for me!

Hey all! Lovely to read all your posts πŸ™‚
    Cinque I just love Yamdaisy! It’s a great looking site too (now that I am doing a proper web site I notice things differently) Very clean and so cool! What a wonderful thing to be a part of!
    Carolinacatz, and Salma I will surely post the website when it is ready … I do have a simple online shop now but it doesn’t have a lot of room for info and I really want people to see more of the process … the making and collecting of everything is just so beautiful … as are the finished products, but the process really ought to be seen .. so the new web site will contain lots of images.
    My business is called Sweet Song and the site is sweetsong.ca and I am in Ontario … (Peterborough, Ontario’s farmers market πŸ™‚
    Lori, writing sounds like a great idea, especially if it is something you really enjoy. I am liking the research. Yesterday I spent most of the day reading texts from the 19th century and Father Kniepp … I love his writing … you will see lots of his quotes in my herb monographs!
    Good for you going to boot camp! I wish I could do something like that. I love to walk but have had trouble with laziness for a while … busy with other things and just not making the time for it. The weather hasn’t made it easy and thats my excuse …. which means come spring i had better get my lazy butt out there.
    So … I love your idea Cinque about word pictures!!
    Here in Ontario, Canada…. this time of year, everyone has a real HOPE that spring will come. I say hope because there is always a sense that it just may not happen! Of course it always does but we all act like it might not! I am studying Canadian history with my son for grade ten history and geography and realized just how harsh Canada is. WHen the first settlers came here, so many of them died the first winter that they eventually turned around and went back to Europe! It was the French who really stuck it out and this was made possible only because they made friends with the First Nations peoples and learned from them how to survive here.
    So … today the sun is shining in a pale blue sky. The leaves are not on the trees … except for the evergreens .. which gives a raw, bare boned feel. The ground is frozen, as are the lakes and ponds and even my little bird bath. The river doesn’t freeze though and in the early mornings there is often a frosty steam rising from it. We live a short walk from the River and it flows right through our little village. Our tiny and brave song birds that hang around in the winter (most fly south for the winter) are starting to sing their Spring Songs ..which again, sparks the hope that spring is going to come soon.
    I will continue this rant as the days get longer (our winters are very dark … not like the Yukon which stays dark all winter, but our days are shortened considerably in the winter- sun doesn’t rise until 7:30am and it gets dark around 5pm)
    So .. on another note …. I am excited that finally a supplement that has worked so well for me in the past is available again. It is called the Lower Bowel Tonic, and it was not available for the last two years. I am hoping to get some this week. It is like a laxative in a way … but does not contain herbs that would create dependence. Rather, it TONES the bowels (Tone means to bring it back into proper function- support and nourish) When I had taken it before I really noticed my bloating disappeared. It looked as though I had lost a few pounds and I felt great. It was unavailable for some time because the clinic that makes it was sold and it took them a while to bring back their supplements. Elimination is so vitally important to good health … this is a great supplement for anyone who needs help in this department.
    You can read about it here.
    http://www.wildroseproducts.com/en-CA/herbals-and-supplements/lbt-3-lower-bowel-tonic
    I think I have started to lose weight .. I notice that I am not gaining which is great! I guess it’s getting used to the different stages of aging. And taking it all gracefully and in a healthy way.
    Love to hear Carolinacatz that you take Elderberry! It is such a great medicine! One of my favourites… everyone should have a couple of them growing on their property. The flowers are so beautiful and their fragrance is wonderful! I am currently writing my Elderberry monograph.
    Well … on with my day! I love this forum and so glad to be a part of it!
    Oh! UTI’s …. they say to prevent them take a swig or two .. or more! of high quality organic pure cranberry juice every day or every couple of days… also, you can keep them at bay with pro-biotics …taking one pill every two hours throughout the day. This has helped me in the past.
    All the best to all of you!!!!!!!

Hi girls..
    I wrote another post this morning that went up in a puff of smoke! What is happening? Have I done something to anger the diet gods?

I had a good FD today (so far) and hope to show some positive results soon, particularly after a rather yummy fried fish lunch yesterday with the family.. Here’s hoping..

Salma

Another post went up in a puff of smoke (twice).. what is happening?? Have I angered the diet gods somehow?

Anyway, here’s my third attempt at posting something today.. I had a good FD (so far) after a major family lunch of fried fish (Red Mullet – native to the Mediterranean) and a large variety of small dishes (Mezze).. mmm.

I hope I did not do too much damage.. tomorrow the scales will tell the scary tale.

Salma

Hi..
    This is my Fourth attempt at posting today. My posts go up in a puff of smoke!
    Have I angered the diet gods somehow?

A successful FD today (so far).
    I won’t write anymore until I can make sure this is posted. Isn’t this so weird?

Salma

Hi all
    Sherry, enjoy your break away, I mostly like company but would enjoy just buying and cooking for myself, sure my diet would be better.
    Anyway, we had a great time in London for the few days with friends, all bets were off re the eating and drinking but on the good side I did walk – a lot! We walked thru Hyde park and Kensington gardens and also back to the hotel which was further than expected. I had to take pain killers for my back, it got very stiff.
    Yesterday was FD but today isn’t as we have old friends popping in later and staying over. We have invited family to see them too, so Indian food has been requested and it’s not diet friendly at all.
    I bought a new top from J Crew in London, maybe wearing that will remind me if I eat too much it won’t fit! I had a bargain with that, the label was wrong, Β£10 less than it should have been, I didn’t realise that at the time, I just thought the assistant rang it up wrongly but she changed it and I paid the price on the ticket.
    BriarRose, I am not sure if we are supposed to advertise products on here, someone else will know the norm better than me, maybe it’s ok if it’s not your own stuff you are trying to sell.
    Interesting reading about where folk live, don’t know how I would cope with such weather extremes. I like the Med weather when I can get it. And the food!
    Susie

Good evening ladies from Hawaii,πŸŒ΄πŸŒΊβ˜€οΈπŸŒˆπŸ„ ( is that enough Hawaiian for you?!)
    😊
    Almost time for shower & bed , but thought I’d pop in for a quick hello!

I felt very proud of myself in that I found a pilates studio not far from me & went & took a private lesson which turned out to be wonderful! So now since I have some place to go to keep up with the gains I’ve made in back strength, I can keep it up when I’m here instead of feeling like I’m starting over every time I get back home! Yay! I’ve also been walking 1-2 hours daily.

Today feels like a unintentional fast day- just had bone broth & then a cup of raspberries this morn, for lunch a salad with roast turkey, manchego cheese, tomatoes & a yummy recipe I found on the web where you soak then blend up cashews (it makes a cream) with green onions, mustard powder, lemon, salt/pepper, water & garlic to make a tangy ranch dressing. I’m going to have more broth for a late dinner with spinach & a jalapeΓ±o turkey burger crumbled into it- I know, so exciting! It’s so nice not to have to worry about cooking for others & just eat whatever ( like your scraps you talk about
    Cinque!)

Tomorrow I’m going with my office staff to listen to Franklin Graham (Billy Graham’s son) speak out in front of the state capital about our presidential election coming up- should be interesting! I’m supposed to try that tai chi class in the morning too but having trouble connecting to the instructor to find out exactly where in the park hey meet? May have to go early and wander around looking for them ! πŸ˜‰

Briar Rose, don’t know if you noticed my post about also having a teen (15 yrs) & 3 younger ones? Re: the uti, I take D-mannose, cranberry extract, oregano extract, uva ursi, and probiotics 2x/day. Does that sound good?

Time to eat/shower/bed!

Good Morning!

Salma…your “puff of smoke” posts seem to be making their way here eventually. Wonder why they disappear for you? Hope your FD ended well!

Sherry…sounds like you’re having a great time in Hawaii! How could you not? Finding a pilates studio that you like nearby is awesome. Hope you track down the Tai Chi class too.

I have my first 2 sessions of boot camp done for the week. Tomorrow is my day off, thank goodness! My shoulders and upper back are really feeling it the past couple weeks. I had a successful 24 hour fast yesterday. I really didn’t mind it at all and the scale was happy this morning too! I’m within 8 tenths of a pound of the magic 10 lbs lost since the beginning of the year. A slow rate of loss for sure, but at least I’m losing. I’m working on resetting my insulin resistance as per Dr Fung’s new book, so I will do a couple 24 hour FD’s a week. Other work days, I usually do a 16-18 hour fast. Still experimenting to see what works!

Cloudy day today with lots of rain coming tonight and tomorrow. At least it’s going to be warm so it will be rain and not ice!

Have a lovely day everyone!

Hi all. Sorry to have been quiet lately. That UTI really was a b#*#&. It took a full week of antibiotics to get over it and then I had a yeast infection from the antibiotics. This is the first morning I woke up feeling myself again.

Congratulations Lori on the magic 10! I don’t think losing 10 lbs. in less than two months is at all slow! And I’m so impressed with the exercise you do. You too, Sherry. Doing both Pilates and Tai Chi sounds like fun–and all that walking in a lovely place. I’m getting back to walking again. I have a treadmill desk and try to walk for an hour each morning. Unfortunately, it’s been on the fritz lately. It would work fine for ten or fifteen minutes and then it was suddenly off to the races. Quite a shock the first time and I was lucky I didn’t fall off. The repairman came last night so I’ll be hopping on as soon as I get this sent off. I can read quite well while walking briskly but am rather dyslexic at typing while walking.

We got some snow last night which has covered the bare ground and makes it look more like February in Minnesota should. I hope it’s just El Nino, but worry that global warming may be taking away my favorite season.

I had two good fast days Sunday and Monday, though yesterday’s may have been closer to 600 cals. than 500. Still, I’ll take it. Good luck to any of you who are fasting today.

MM

Hello…..well, I slipped up a bit on posting daily. But I’m here to get back on track!!!

I also got a bit discouraged with the rather dramatic water weight showing up this weekend. I hope it’s water anyway! It must be as it was so sudden. Anyway, I need to do better on the weekends and Monday. Monday used to be my fast day but due to my daughter’s schedule we can only eat together on Monday and Wednesday during the week so I switched to fasting on Tuesday and Thursday. I like Monday better as it gives a fresh start after the weekend.

On the positive side, I have managed to do a little exercise every day. I still need to step it up, but it’s a start.

SerryAnn, Have fun in Hawaii! We are a 5 hour flight from California so it would be longer than Europe for us……

MM and BriarRose, I like winter here in NC but I’m not sure how I’d feel about it in your areas! When it’s bitter cold for more than a week I just feel like hibernating!

Susie, I’ve been to London once and it was such a nice city. I’m envious!!

I’ll try to be on again tomorrow. Good luck to all!

Testing!

Hi Ladies,

The forum was doing the strangest thing.. it did not show my posts.. It sounds ridiculous to have repeated myself a 100 times.

Anyway.. I did have a good FD yesterday.. perhaps a bit over the 500 cals, but not by much.
    Today.. not so great, but not too bad either. I have just had a dinner of fish (what is it with fish this week?). I want to share how we make this particular dish as it is simple and some of you might want to try it:

So.. Fillet of fish (I buy whole fish and have the fishmonger filet it for me). I use sea bass, but any fleshy fish would do. Bake the fish covered (aluminum foil) in the oven after spicing with cumin, dried coriander, black pepper, salt) also with a few slices of lemon on top. Make sure the fish does not dry out. It probably needs anywhere from 10 -25 minutes depending on the size of the fillets.
    In the meantime, fry a couple of chopped onions in a little olive oil. add chopped green pepper, hot pepper, a couple of cloves of garlic. Add cumin (1 level tsp), dried coriander (about 1/2 tsp), black pepper and salt.sweat the mixture. Add a couple of chopped tomatoes and some tomato paste. simmer for about 15-20 min. Add chopped fresh coriander and simmer for a further 5 min. Done!
    Place baked fish filet in a dish. Add the lquid from the fish to the sauce. Pour the sauce over the fish. Serve with boiled rice. Enjoy!

This smells wonderful and tastes even better.. and is also a healthy dish serving up several vegetables with a piece of baked fish. You can serve it with Arugula salad with chopped green onions and slices of cooked (boiled) beetroot. Dressing of olive oil, lemon and salt.

So, I had a couple of chocolates as consolation for having to take medication for my inflamed hip and index finger. My finger clicks back and I have to ‘pull’ it out and it makes a clicking sound.. Apparently, this is called “trigger finger” – for those interested (http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/trigger-finger). It is the weirdest sensation. The finger is puffy and painful. It just started suddenly about a month ago and would not go away. It has woken me up with pain several times. Such a weird complaint. I had to go to the doctor today and he prescribed anti-inflammatory medications. I know that Turmuric and ginger are both anti-inflammatory spices as is salmon. I wish I could have a more natural way of addressing this problem. Perhaps BriarRose can help?

Shall I fast tomorrow? I am not really committed to this, but if not tomorrow, then definitely Thursday. Perhaps Thursday is better as it is not a long stretch over the weekend with no fasting.

I hope this gets posted and not lost again (no wonder I have a sore finger)..

Have a great evening everyone.
    Salma

Hello everyone,
    My darlings are back in Sydney, I dropped them off at the airport yesterday day, and I was home by 6 and sat still like a stunned mullet for the evening.
    But today I need to get so much done and then head up to Sydney myself tomorrow. I’ll be there to help them get organised to move here. SIL has been offered a job, and they are applying for a house to rent ( housing is in high demand here so it is tricky). It would be so lovely if it all works out easily.

Briar Rose, I loved your word picture of your place and weather. I will write mine next.
    Thanks for the website compliment, I looked yours up and it looks lovely too. What a nice business to be in.
    And isn’t it just lovely when you first notice your clothes getting looser. Keep 5:2ing, you are on your way!

Sherry I love getting glimpses of Hawaii through your eyes, have fun with your friend.
    Btw fingers crossed the ex Google guy doesn’t come near you.
    Time to rest and Pilate and play.

Salma three of your posts came through, eventually! SO frustrating for you! But the fried fish and mezze sound so delicious. I want some now. I hope it was a great fast day.

Susie your London trip sounds a hoot. I hope your back pain has eased though. Time someone set up a healthy Indian food place, there are so many beautiful healthy Indian recipes!

Lori I’m another one who thinks losing 10 lbs this year is extraordinary. I think I lose about 2 lbs a month, just moseying along the way I do. Have you been watching too much Biggest Loser?
    Have a great celebration of such wonderful work. Are you buying gorgeous new clothes to show off the skinnier you?

MM your treadmill desk made me laugh, although it wouldn’t have been funny if you had fallen badly off it. I cat imagine ANYONE could type and walk! I think I would have trouble even talking on the phone.
    I do hope you are really, truly over that nasty UTI now. I’m so sorry it has been such a nasty time for you.

Hi CC, must be a bit of retained water! A pity you have lost your lovely Monday fast, I hope you get into the new rhythm nicely. Congrats on that bit of exercise, such a good habit to get into.
    I hope you make it here tomorrow, looking forward to seeing you.

I’m off to get breakfast!

BTW.. here is what I got from the administrator of the forums:

I’m so sorry, I have no idea why the spam filter marked those as spam. I’ve approved all of them but taken out the β€œtest” post.

Please let me know if it happens again!
    JJ
    tech@thefastdiet.co.uk

So.. I was not completely off my rocker.. it was very odd indeed.

Hi Salma
    I am 52 rightin the middle of menopause
    I gained about 25 kilo in 7 yrs due to medicin last august I stopped taking it because I was almost 97 kilo with only 167 cm
    I tried diets before but it never worked
    I managed to loose some weight on my own until november when I read about 5:2 since then including xmas I have lost 10 kilo on top of the 2 I did on my own
    My bmi was over 34.5 and dropped already towards 31
    I am so happy because it does not feel like a diet it comes natural and for the 1st time in my life I see weight loss while eating normal not counting calories abd even on my fast day its slightly more than 500….but I am starting to get healthier mentally as well and it is much easier to say no to 2 much food or wrong food
    So be encouraged if it works for me it will work for you!

Hi ladies,
    I’m eating lunch & reading along! Welcome Ras64! Happy for your success this far!

So I walked in the park today and then tracked down the tai chi class. It was very nice- soothing gentle movements. Of course I was more than a tad clumsy, much more so than the senior citizens doing it along side me! I could see doing this again when I come back but unfortunately the Japanese woman who teaches it is going back to live in Japan to care for her elderly mother in April and learn the way of the Samarais she told me! No one else teaches outdoors in that park (which I’d prefer , as it’s so pretty to look out at the ocean while doing it) but maybe II can locate a nearbyi indoor class.

Speaking of classes outside, last night was such a beautiful moonlit night that I just had to get out and walk. To give you a word picture Cinque & Briar Rose, the moon shilmmered over the ocean with the beautiful sparkling lights of the city of Waikiki below and palm trees silhouetted against it all in the foreground. Just beautiful. And then I noticed at the water’s edge there were a bunch of hose flameless candles and a group of people doing a moonlit yoga class! I’d love to do it if my back gets more stable. It’s just such an active, healthy outdoor lifestyle here. I love it!

Yep, Lori- I agree with the others…10lbs. Is super awesome & not to be taken lightly! Consider how long you were struggling to lose weight and now bam… 10 gone in a relatively short time! How much more are you trying to lose if any? So tell us more about the book about helping out carb resistance issues( boy do I have a few of those issues πŸ˜‰)!

Yay MM! Two fast days in a week! I know you’ve been struggling to get more than one a week in so bravo to you! Like Cinque, I got a cartoon picture in my head of you flying off the treadmill as it crazily sped up on you ( sorry! It sounded funnier than I’m sure it was almost killing yourself!). Hope the repairs work!

CC, yes 10 hrs is long plus more for connections I’m sure! That’s why you’d have to break it up & stay in CA for a few days before heading on to HI!

Poor Salma! Testing, testing! I know, this website is enough to drive one bonkers! I should try your yummy fish recipe! There’s fresh fish coming in off the dock about a mile away every morn very early. If I get ambitious, which is doubtful if I’m honest, I might go down there & get some. Very weird with the trigger finger! I have some success with arnica based creams/gels for various pains. They also have arnica in homeopathic pill form. Don’t know if that would help? Congrats on the good fast days!

Cinque, how wonderful if your family can move out your way! Keeping my fingers crossed the housing situation works!

Susie, your time in London sounded lovely! How far do you actually live from there? My only experience unfortunately being in Britain was going to the airport on the way home from Germany. Would love to see it some day! My eldest, a red head, is sure her genes come from somewhere there given her coloring and vows to visit “her people” some day! πŸ˜† I don’t think neither my husband nor I have any UK in our blood lines but you never know! Maybe when we get the results from our soon-to – arrive DNA test breakout we will get a surprise!

Off now to visit my office and do a little shopping. That Franklin Graham talk is tomorrow, not today as hubby had told me. Tonight I’m meeting my friends & her daughter at the hot tub! Ciao! 😘

Welcome here Ras! I had the same lovely feeling when I found 5:2! It does come natural and just by doing it my non fast days get more and more normal.

Salma, hooray your posts have been sorted! Imagine thinking you are spam!!!!! Shocking!
    What a lovely fish recipe!

Here is my word picture:

Melbourne is at the south eastern corner of Australia, we have quite a Mediterranean climate, except for the times when the strong north wind blows in from the inland dessert, hot and dry and scary because of bushfires, or when the strong south wind blows in from the antarctic, chilly and relentless. And this happens often. We are known for having four seasons in a day. We talk a lot about weather.

I live just to the northeast of the city, north of the Yarra (it is important locally to say which side of the Yarra river you live). I’m on the edge of the volcanic plain, flat grasslands, that now is all suburbs. A low rocky outcrop that marks the edge of the plain means that the road doesn’t go through, although bicycles and pedestrians can.

I live a few blocks from Darebin creek, not far from where from where it joins the Yarra.

Yesterday was on of those blistering hot days. The sky was covered in cloud, that made it glarey and ominous. The wind dried up all my flowers. There were 150 reported fires, with two bad ones. Luckily both under control by the end of the day and only three houses lost (away out of Melbourne).

I live in the front flat of a building of 8. A 60 year old rectangle of cream brick veneer with little charm (before I was ill I chose out of the city, charming homes), but I am grateful for this one. It is easy to live in. There are trees around and I have my little garden in pots (and my compost bins!). The neighbours have been great.

The road is parallel to the main road and it is like a quiet river with people walking along with babies, dogs, on bikes, running down to the train station. It is factories over the road: light industry: a spiral staircase factory, a stationery place, shoe outlets up the road and around the corner. Houses and apartments this side.

Thanks to the trees there are lots of birds, a few possums and fruit bats in the summer.

I have the front and back doors open, a fan on, pigeons are cooing in the background, a crow is making its distinctive summer call. It is peaceful.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,201 through 3,250 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.