Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,801 through 1,850 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi All,

Welcome Slake5! I’m glad to hear you made it through your first fast day. The first is the worst, as they say–they should get better from here on.

Regarding fasting: I eat through the day with breakfast, lunch, and dinner protein drinks (in addition to psyllium before breakfast and dinner protein drinks, and supplements as usual throughout the day). It works for me. Just FYI

@sherryann I found a post on another forum early on from someone suggesting using the weight you want to be as opposed to the weight you are when figuring out how many calories you should consume with the TDEE calculator. I’ve been doing that ever since and never looked back. Depending on how far you are from your goal when you start, this might not work for you. However, it worked great for me, and once I got to goal I just had to tweak things a little instead of making major changes throughout. Just a thought. What do you think?

Jayney

Hi everyone!

Welcome slake5 well done for getting through the 1st FD, promise it gets easier, and you’ll do fine, my mantra is “you’re giving your body a rest” and “no treats today, tomorrow who knows” seems to do the trick. I’m not a non-breakfast person, so on FD’s have 2 boiled egg whites, (save the yolks for NFD’s, they are great with cottage cheese) an apple around 4-5pm when I’m “critically hungry” and the whole FD could end up pants! then evening 7-8pm salad of some kind, tuna/prawns/courgettes/red pepper/lettuce/sometimes parmesan, also have a blob of greek yoghurt with raspberries, very low cal, and that’s me done..

On calorie counting, I tend to tot it up through the day, but input onto my Fitbit, sometimes I lie to the Fitbit, which is a waste of time but cie la vie. I’m a great weigher of food, so even the odd hazelnut gets weighed (1 gram per hazelnut, 7 cals) this means I can keep tabs on amounts, and try not to kid myself. The other day I had a 99 ice cream with a flake, which I’d forgotten about, 240 cals! for that joy. I don’t always stick to 500 cals bang on!, there’s the odd gherkin, swig of milk or extra cup of tea, but whatever works for you is best. Think you have to test it out…someone of this thread said very wisely they need all the calories for the veg and protein on FD, yes I agree, but also you sometimes need a cup of tea/coffee with milk to keep you going, so a balancing act.

I’m also a “short-house” 5ft 2, so every calorie counts, I do a lot of exercise, which helps. Milena loved your thread about this generation of 50-60’s being younger than our mum’s and granny’s, so true! and there is something out there for all tastes, anything really goes in terms of keeping fit/style. In my Zumba class I have ladies from 25-65, there really isn’t much difference in passion and drive, just a few niggles with knees, which need to be watched, it’s so great to see someone really come into their own, and feel confident.

Salma, yes the shorts are a relevation to me too, luckily they are more “surfer” than miniscule, so can walk proud πŸ˜‰
    Hi Jayney! hope all well! we’re onto a new screen now so can’t remember the threads exactly, to the newbies if you have headaches the fasting can leave you a bit dehydrated, so drink loads , love to all, we can be strong!

BB

Hi BB,

All is well at the mo–I’ve mainly been trying to be of help to the newbies, but to everyone else as well.

Jayney

Btw Jayney. It was me that has been promoting calculating your TDEE for your goal weight. I did it when we started in April 13. It just made sense. You develop the correct habits from the start.
    Good luck everyone! πŸ˜† Purple

Morning, everyone. Sherry, I did it, did you! Hopped on the beast. The news was not as bad as I had feared. 133.5 lbs. My goal weight is 124, so I’m still ten pounds from goal, just as I was back in April. But at least it was not worse. My new short term goal is to be below 130 (128 maybe???) by the time the fall term starts on September 1. Sounds easy, but I have a conference in Vienna in August–and who can ignore the cafes and konditoreis there?

Got though a fast day yesterday. Not an easy one, as I was at home most of the day. This morning, up early to get my dog Rose to the vet for surgery. A recurrent infection in her paw has gotten into the bone. They think they can manage it by just removing one toe. Hope so.

Good luck to anyone who is fasting today!

MM

Well, all the plans that I posted for my day yesterday got blown up! I was in the shower with a head full of conditioner and the water went off. I yelled for the husband to check the circuit breaker for the pump while I wrapped a towel around me and stumbled down stairs. Nope…….circuit breaker was fine, but we had no water. We have a well, so there are various things that can happen. Anyway, I got a bottle of water from the fridge and heated it on the stove to rinse my hair. I called off of work while the husband called the plumber. Turns out the pump motor burned up. The pump is down in the well, so they had to pull it up and test it. What makes me mad is that it is only 2 years old! We had it replaced when the other one quit. That is 2 pumps to replace within 5 years! Luckily, both were under warranty, but still! The pump previous to these 2 was probably in place for 20 years or more!

Anyway, the stress of the day led to and end to my fasting. I just nibbled and paced all day. The plumber had the water back on by 11:15 in the morning, but I had already been snacking all morning. Oh well……things happen.

This morning I went to boot camp as normal and the water coming out of the shower was music to my ears when I got home! πŸ˜‰ Catching up at work and fasting until 2PM.

Hope you’re all having a great week!

MN Miss,

You’re not going to believe this! So, I of course forgot about our pledge, woke up this morning and drank a giant glass of water first thing and started reading emails. Saw your post and immediately regretted the glass of water (as I prefer to weigh prior to eating/drinking in the morning)! I then jumped on the scale, weighed and then weighed again with a big glass of water in my hand πŸ˜‰ ! The end result was I am soooo close to your weight it’s unbelievable! I am 133.8! At 5′ 1″ I have more to lose than you. I’d like to be 120 lbs. or less. I was 128 a short 6 weeks ago, but after 5 weeks in Honolulu for business/pleasure, I put on a few πŸ™ ! So, I will join you in the short term goal of getting under 130. When is your conference in August? If it’s toward the mid/end, maybe we can pledge to get under 130 before you leave? If not, definitely by September 1! My challenge is this week coming up…camping in our motorhome with friends in the mountains…wine, cheese, crackers, etc. Yikes! I will be hiking a bunch though, so hoping it will all even out! Thinking Salma’s eating window of 5 hours might work, using it toward that later in the day period?

Lori, hoping the rest of your day goes better than the start of it! We all have those days unfortunately! Stay strong!

Fasting today so wish me luck and I wish you all the best till I return!

Hi All,

Purple, in addition to you recommending using the TDEE of your goal weight, I think Simcoeluv recommended it as well as I recall, but I’m not entirely sure.

I started 5:2 weighing 139.9 pounds, and I remember when it took me FOREVER to get below 120. For some reason everything below that just whizzed by, but once I got to 120 (goal weight of 110, and currently slightly below that) I started to stall. That was when I started fasting three days a week as I recall–just to get things moving again–and it worked! Just a thought. Hope this helps.

All the best with your fast today Sherry.

Jayney

Hi All. Thanks for all the congrats and good thoughts on my 5K, I was pretty pleased. Unfortunately, right afterwards I lived up to my type A, self-competitive personality type and tried a running HIIT session on the treadmill. Net result? Aggravated all my spinal issues, had to go on anti-inflammatories and couldn’t run for a a couple of days! Hanging my head in shame, as I never learn not to push and push and push. Luckily the anti-inflammatories have kicked in and I was able to run today.

Janey the liquid fast went well one try, and was the pits the next. I think I was too hung up on the running fiasco and started a tad bit of stress eating. I’m ok now and back on track to have a fast day tomorrow (out of cycle, but need to compensate for all the splurging).

MinnestoMiss thoughts of strength and healing going out to Rose. Slate5 welome! Lori, all I can say is aghhh. BB, awesome on the shorts.

Like everyone, I am awaiting with baited breath the full name of the face cream and I agree with Salmas sentiments. (Salma, I actually do that a heck of a lot, are you sure we are not sisters separated at birth :))

I’m having a terrible week. Just eating and eating and feeling tubby. I eat mostly in my window, but just too much! Sigh…..

Switching up my boot camp schedule and going today instead of tomorrow as we’re going to our Grandson’s baseball game tonight and it will be late until we get home. Something tells me that I won’t feel like getting up at 4:15 tomorrow.

I’m hoping to have a better eating day today. Feeling rather disgusted with myself at the moment. I know what to do……just have to do it!

Sorry to be such a downer this morning. Hope you all have a great day.

Hey All,

DJ, at least you know that the first liquid fast worked for you, so knowing that you can plan accordingly. Honestly, in my case, at the naturopath’s suggestion I exclusively did what I call water/psyllium/supplements only fast days until about two weeks or so after reaching goal weight–only because in those weeks I had a lot of sometimes back-to-back events featuring food, so wanted to splurge. As a result, I continued water/psyllium/supplements only fasting three times weekly for those first two weeks after achieving goal weight. Then I switched over to my maintenance plan of one 500-calorie fast day per week.

Lori, sorry to hear your week isn’t going to plan. We’ve all been there. At least you know what you have to do, and that’s a start. Tomorrow is another day–back on the wagon! Know that you have my support.

Jayney

Hello everyone.. hello new ladies..

Lori.. I feel for you and with you. Hang in there.. this is just a blip in the grand scheme of things. Give yourself permission to stay off the wagon for a couple of days (minus guilt) and get back up when you are good and ready.

DJ. we are all sisters in arms here πŸ™‚ What a trial it is to be a woman. The strength and resilience of women the world over is amazing. We are continually battling the ravages of hormones on our bodies while juggling a million things. Frankly, compared to women, men are such babies πŸ™‚

Sherry and MM.. well done both.. you have looked fear in the face and jumped in (or on).. and see? It was not too bad.

Last night, I went out with a friend and indulged in 2 rather large glasses of good red wine. Unfortunately, I dug into the yucky fried nuts and pretzels bowel and a plate of melted cheese nibbles. I was a happier (but heavier) bunny. Today, I pay for my sins. I am fasting today and not finding it too easy. Basically, willing away the hours until 5 pm when I can eat (hardly anything.. probably vegetable soup only). Misery has a name.. I am dreaming of a cheese and tomato sandwich. Sigh!

On a cheerer thought, today will soon be over and whatever damage I inflicted last night will probably be erased. Also, I can actually have that cheese sandwich tomorrow. That’s something I can look forward to.

Have a reasonable day everyone.. we stand together in this fight against fat!!

Salma

Hi All

I see some new names here so it is nice to welcome Sherryann and Minisota miss to the thread. Also nice to see Purple.

A big hello to all of the regulars as well.

Hi Lori

I see you are doing the eating window, I do this but stick within calories. I do anything from 16.8 to a small eating window. I still regulate intake though and have recently gone back to three fast days I was getting a bit slack with food choices on NFDs. I have now tightened up on that and although I have what I consider treats I have less of them. So I keep carbs low and this means having an odd slice of cake and the odd magnum but it is not a regular thing.

Hi Salma

As you know you can indulge on occasions and it will not make a difference to weight loss. It is trying to get the balance right. You are doing well so remember this!!

Ginette

Thanks for all the encouragement girls! I’m sorry I was such a whiner this morning! I’m doing some reading and getting my head back in the game.

Thanks again!

Hi all.

Sherry, we are on a really similar track. I’m a little taller (5’3″) and felt my best all through my 40s weighing somewhere between 120 and 124. Climbed up to 128 and stayed there for quite awhile. Felt ok there. But then up to 136. Yuck. Nothing fit anymore. So I’m heading back to the top of my best range (trying to be realistic). My trip to Vienna is the last week of August, so let’s aim to both see that magic 2 in the middle of the scale before then, even if it’s just 129.9!

Lori, what a rotten day with the pump. Glad you got your water back fairly quickly. I have a well too, so always lose water when the electricity goes out. Know what it feels like.

Hope your back is feeling better, DJ.

Salma, I feel your pain (as Bill Clinton used to say). I was at a friend’s house last night and drank 3(!) glasses of wine to celebrate Rose’s successful recovery and our finishing painting one side of his cabin. So I too will have some fasting to do to make up for it over the weekend.

Greetings to everyone else and good luck to everyone who is fasting today.

MM

Soooo hungry!
    I am paying for my sins MM. I have already had my 250 cal worth of soup and a glass of milk, but I have the rumbles big time. I am trying to distract myself by reading articles online and have run myself a bath. The plan is to soak for a bit then have a glass of hot milk and go to bed. Tomorrow: breakfast!! Yaaay!! Did I hear myself say this was easier than one thought?? It does not feel like it right now.

Ginette, it is so nice to see you here. We have all missed your wisdom and encouragement!

Salma

Hang in there, Salma! You’re almost through the day on your side of the pond–a bath, good night’s sleep (and I usually sleep well on fast days) and it’s breakfast!

Hi All,

Salma, I know I look forward to meals a lot, but don’t feel the need to have everything right away (I guess that’s not only portion control, but impulse control as well). Isn’t it great to be getting the hang of it?

Ginette, glad to see you back here! I know you’re an infrequent visitor (as I’m sure I will be as well once I start working again), but it’s nice when you’re here.

Lori, I’m glad you heard what you needed to and are back on the road to recovery!

Jayney

Jayney,dear Simcoe, very good at regurgitation. πŸ™‚
    Hi Ginette P

Good Morning!

Long day, short night! We didn’t get home from the Grandson’s baseball game until 10:30 last night. That is WAY past my bedtime. I had been up since 4:15AM and was more than ready for my bed. Slept fairly well, but I know this afternoon will be a struggle to stay awake at work. My afternoons are quite often not very busy and I could seriously nod off!

It doesn’t seem like I ate much yesterday. I’m not sure what I’ll eat today. I just feel “out of sorts”. The Dr put me on antibiotics for a suspected sinus infection and I’m thinking they’re not really agreeing with me. It’s just 1 pill a day for the next 4 days(after starting with 2 yesterday) I had indigestion last night when I first laid down, but was able to get to sleep.

Off to the golf course on Saturday and Sunday if the weather holds. There is some rain coming late Saturday into Sunday I believe. I sure hope I play better than I did last weekend! OY!

Have a great Friday everyone!

Thanks Purple. Lori, I hope you feel better soon. If you’re not used to antibiotics they can really do a number on you. At least it isn’t for long, and I hope it’s well worth it. Have a great golfing weekend!

BTW, I have a question for you travelers on this list. I’ve recently seen some travel scales like this one:

https://www.newlinescale.com/shopexd.asp?id=328

Do any of you use something like this? I’m thinking about this because many of the jobs I’m looking at require travel and I don’t want everything to go to hell if I need to be gone for a while (I’ve heard some of you travelers complain of this). Do you think this would be helpful?

If I go that route though, I’m almost inclined to use this scale instead:

http://www.quickmedical.com/a-d-medical-digital-bathroom-scale-uc-322.html

The reason why is that a) it’s made by the same company that makes the scale I’ve been using for the last four years, b) it’s reasonably accurate, and c) I could replace my current scale with the one above and use one scale at home and for travel. I think having one scale would help the consistency and accuracy of measurements. Even though the scale above isn’t really marketed as a travel scale, it’s about the same size as some of the other “travel scales.” I called the manufacturer, and the representative checked and said that as long as it’s packed appropriately (i.e. in the middle of the suitcase with lots of clothes around it, etc.) it should stand up to travel well. If I got this scale I’d probably get a laptop/tablet case for it as well though, so that would help.

At any rate, what do you think of this? Is this something you’d do when traveling?

Jayney

STRESS. We all have it, we all handle it differently. My stress habits are eating or drinking alcohol. I have eliminated eating via 5:2 but at the end of a week of pressure I do tend to have at least 2 glasses of wine even before I head out for the evening. For me, I know that every good intention that I have goes down the toilet if I allow myself a drink or two. I have said no alcohol for July and August, but words are obviously louder than actions. My will power (which was non-existent prior to adopting this WOL but has improved immensely regarding food) has not yet expanded to the hunger that a couple of glasses of wine bring. Out dancing tonight, hope I work off the calories!

Good morning everyone..

DJ.. I am guilty of that particular pleasure too, I’m afraid. I went out last night for a pizza and a wonderful Sicilian red.. absolutely heavenly. I had about 3 glasses of wine and about 3/4 of the pizza. I have no idea of the damage as far as weight is concerned and, frankly, I don’t care. It was a fun evening, excellent food and wine (even a bit of Tiramisu) and good company. Guilt is a useless emotion..so all I can say is, tomorrow is another day πŸ™‚

Janey, are you going to be traveling for long periods of time? Because if you are traveling on business for a few days, frankly, it does not make sense to lug a set of scales around. Many hotels have bathroom scales which you can use, but as you say, there is the issue of consistency. This is also an issue unless you use the scales at home also. I would just not bother.

Today, I am planning to be a bit more mindful than usual on a non-FD day to make up for yesterday’s indulgence. This is helped by being busy this evening going to a concert which will keep my mind off food. Yesterday, I went out with good friends, but no one commented on the weight loss although I have lost around 10 kgs since February. I guess people just suddenly notice and I am not at that point yet. I am a tall(ish) girl (5′ 8″), so on the positive side, people don’t notice immediately when I put ON weight either.

Have a great weekend everyone..

Salma

Hi everyone!,

Hope you’re all having nice w/e’s. Sunny here, so am going for a “longer” run for my sins, let’s see how I get on with my hip.

Went off piste on Thursday, broke all my rules, stayed out very late on the beach, and had 9am class in morning, luckily was great fun, and I got off lightly, in terms of drinking wine versus headache, was a miracle, it also meant I didn’t eat a lot yesterday as was feeling “fragile” and had a super busy day, and no time, so a forced “low cal” day. Like Salma, I agree Guilt is useless, but difficult not to feel.

I’m hovering on the 1 stone loss target, and seem to be sabotaging myself, how silly πŸ™ I’ve read a bit about why we gain weight and it seems like it can be for all sorts of other reasons others than just liking big helpings. I read that some people don’t want to really lose the weight, as they’ll become someone else or face up to being someone else. I need to get back to my routine next week, and shift this weight. My holiday is in a month, so a good incentive! I probably need a new wardrobe as things have began to get too big, but that will be another milestone treat. I did have to buy a new Sports bra, one size down! result..

Love and leave you lovely ladies, here’s to strength, willpower and lots of fun, Hi Salma, Ginette, Purple, DJ, Jayneyw, Lori
    MM and Sherryann hope it’s going well for you..
    Milena, where are you?

Hi Everyone,

Salma, in answer to your question, I might not be traveling a lot, but it could well be for a week or more at a time when I do. I’m not sure I’d want to do without weighing in that amount of time, but do you? Just thinking ahead.

Jayney

Good Morning!

Salma…I simply love your attitude! You had a great time out with friends that included eating and drinking…..that’s life! We work hard and those times we “let go” are important, I believe.

Jayne…you are much more dedicated than I will ever be! It would never cross my mind to weigh myself when I’m away from home! This is why you’re at goal and I’m far from it! Kudos to you! Hope you find something that will work for you.

Beldy…congrats on the smaller size sports bra! Going down a size in anything is always a boost!

Off to the golf course in a couple hours. Have some new swing thoughts in my head, so hoping I can put them into play.

Have a great weekend!

Hi Lori, MM, Salma, Janey, Purple, DJ and Beldyboop

Well thanks for the nice comments. I am pleased to say I have lost 3lbs this week which takes me past the 4 stone lost barrier and now below the 5 stone to go barrier. A lot of you helped me to this point so I thank you all.

Hi Salma, you have done so well recently so don’t give in at one difficult fast. I have had a couple of those. Being the weekend I relax a bit.

Lori, you really are having a tough time with your antibiotics, I often respond this way to different medications. I hope you feel better soon.

Janey, I had a look at those scales but boy! Do they look expensive. As long as you think the outlay justifies the result go for it. One pair of scales are much better than two separate ones.

Beldyboop yes it is nice to change down sizes for any clothes. Well done and I think that maybe we all have times when we get lazier with our choices. I was doing that and was losing really slowly, I was getting my minimum lass per month which I set at 4lb and I didn’t put on, so all of those things were a result. I just wanted to lose a little faster and so went back to 4:3 and I am being stricter with my NFDs. I am still having a few treats though. The change did kickstart the weight loss again, it took a week for my body to realise something had changed though. So I am pleased that it seems to be working and if I lose 4-7lbs a month I shall be happy. I had two months of 4lbs but I have so much more to lose that I just wanted to increase it a little. I did go out for a meal last week and I may also go out this week, so don’t feel that I am suffering too much!!

You can all do it if you put your mind to it, but also if you take a break from time to time that is fine as long as you get right back on track. In fact I even think it is good to confuse your body into not knowing what is coming next.

Purple and mm you are bother really supportive and purple I believe you are at goal so it is so nice to support others on the way to their goals.

Have a nice weekend all.

Ginette

Hi everyone, especially all the newbies that have joined recently while I’ve been on holiday, and what a holiday its been πŸ™‚ I’ve definitely eaten and drank lots over the last week, and here are just a few of the things I ate, from steak and chips with all the trimmings (although I did leave most of the chips) toasted sandwiches, cooked full breakfasts, Ice cream, scone with clotted cream and cakes, I also was drinking every night so had G & Ts, prosecco and pims, at least the pims had fruit in it.
    But as Salma said “Tomorrow is another day”.
    So I’m having a fast day today and to be honest I’ve been looking forward to it after all that food and drink.
    I did step on the scales this morning and was pleased that I only put on 3.5 lbs so that’s good, and hopefully it will come off quickly if I am mindful about what I eat this week.
    Well done Ginette on your loss, that’s fantastic.
    Good luck everyone this week with weigh ins and FDs.
    Bye for now.
    xx

Welcome back Norlandlass.. It will all soon be gone.. take heart. Sounds lik eyou have had a wonderful vacation.

Ginette.. it is always SO nice to see you around here. 4 stones lost.. WOW!!!! That is such an accomplishment. I wish you would come round here more often and prod the lazier ones of us who hang about here (like yours truly).

I have been pmsing big time and have eaten everything that crossed my path these last three days. Tomorrow is a fast day so hopefully some damage will be contained. I have to officially resign tomorrow so I have been stressing somewhat!! I even ate a whole bar of chocolate (albeit dark.. does that count?)

I even called the gym and reactivated my membership and intend to re-start on Tuesday. I even spoke to the trainer so I do not wheedle out of it.

Yikes!! Scared… wish me luck.

Salma

Hi Everyone,

Lori, I’m looking forward to meeting you in September when you’re out this way. Perhaps we can compare notes.

Ginette, yes the larger scale of the two is more expensive than the one I currently have, but again, if it’s a scale I use every day, at home and travel, I think that might be best.

Nordlandlass, yes, you should be able to get rid of your excess in no time–if you want it gone in one week you might consider fasting three days instead of two possibly.

Salma, all the best at the gym. I hope your trainer is a good one. I’ve been having some issues with trainers at the new gym. The first trainer I worked with was great–until he stopped writing down the workouts he was giving me. That’s pretty basic. Am I supposed to memorize them?

Then they assigned another trainer. I explained the aerial work I do to her and even showed her a video of me doing it, and instead of strength training she gave me these stretches to do. If that wasn’t enough, she measured me differently than the other trainer and the measurements were all off–that really didn’t cut it.

I had a chat with the guy who signed me up and the training department head and explained that if I couldn’t get decent training I was going to cancel my membership. That got their attention. I had my second training appointment with the new trainer yesterday and it went really well–except she didn’t have time to do my measurements. However, this turned into a plus because my former trainer did them, so they were at least consistent with they way they’ve been done since I joined this gym.

At any rate, my point here is to just be sure you’re getting what you need from the trainer you work with, and make sure you’re working with a good trainer who meets your needs. Obviously my needs are more particular than most, so I’m sure you should be fine, but if not, say something and make sure the training works for you. Just a thought. All the best to you on your new gym journey! Please let us know how it goes.

Jayney

Go Jayney! Stand your ground & get what you want at your gym. As with anything, I’m sure they’ll let things slide if not kept on their toes. As far as comparing notes when we meet, you are SO much more focused and on track than I am. I aspire to be more like you! I’m happy with my workouts, but my eating is too out of control.

This week I’m going to severely cut carbs and get this sugar monkey off my back..again! I know I’ll feel much better without the junk that I don’t need. Saturday I’ll weigh myself, but I’m sure I’m not going to like what I see. I think I’ll go back to weighing a couple times a week as this once a month thing does not keep me on track. It’s too easy to tell myself, oh..go ahead an eat this or that, you don’t have to weigh in for 2 weeks! Oh the games we play with ourselves!

Wishing everyone a good week!

I finished a big heartfelt post only to have it disappear at the point I clicked submit – PC hadn’t connected properly to the network!

Suffice it to say wishing everyone a fabulous week and strength to everyone fasting today I. (I am one of them)

Hi All

Well I am still dipping in, I have been reading all if your posts with interest.

Hi Norlandlass

Firstly I hope you enjoyed your holiday. Secondly I think that what you have “put on” over the weekend is temporary. If it takes 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat then it must take the same to put one on. So did you overeat and drink by 12.250 calories……I don’t think so. In that case it is probably down to food in transit. So don’t despair, things will seem much better by the end of the week.

Hi Salma

The same goes for you. Yes you probably have a stress ful time ahead. Well done on going back to the gym, this means that you are being proactive and you will feel better for that. I too have been thinking I must join a gym, sigh……. Now I have lost the weight (and thank you all for your nice comments) I think I need to do some toning.

The last time I was at the gym I was using the Wii playing tennis which I love. I gave myself such a bad knee injury that I ended up at the hospital and then needing bed rest. For a while afterwards I was on crutches, and I occasionally still feel a weakness there. It took me ages to get back to any kind of exercise. …….. and I thought it was to get me fitter! I had booked an induction at the gym a few days before and had to cancel due to the injury.

So now I am not going to do anything until I have had my induction!!

I have been reading a lot on visceral fat which is fat around the stomach and the unhealthiest place to carry fat. I have lost a little there but I still have an awful lot to lose. The best way to lose this fat it to eat protein and vegetables, so this means to reduces carbs right down. The reason that we put it on there is by eating too many carbs in the first place! On my three fast days I don’t eat any but I do admit that I do eat a restricted amount two or three times a week. This I find helps. I am now more consciously cutting them and so occasionally on NFDs choose to have an omlette instead of a sandwich. I think every little change helps. Of course there are carbs in vegetables but these are complex carbs and not like the ones in rice, potatoes and pasta.

Just something to think about. I am on three fast days again this week as my trainer has set me a target of getting to a 20% weight loss by September the last meeting with him with his current company. They have lost the contract and so he is going to work with another company who will take on the new contract so I shall sign up for another year. At a 20 stone 2 lbs starting weight 20% loss is 4 stone 4lbs. That is with clothes on and in the afternoon. I always weigh in the morning with just a nightdress on. So as you see I need to lose a few more lbs yet!

Hi Janey

It is so nice that you and Lori will be meeting up, it’s not many weeks away either. Yes I agree about the scales they will be more practical for you. You do travel a lot so it will help you when you are away. I am glad that you have sorted out your trainer issues, they do have to cater to customers needs so well done on making your point. I hope your new trainer works out for you.

Hi Lori

I do feel for you with your eating. I find that once that is in place you will feel more in control. That’s why I decided to switch back to 4:3 I started to enjoy food too much and I was getting a bit lazy on NFDs. It worked for me, why don’t you think about it. Is isn’t as difficult as it seems and I always relax a bit at the weekend. I was so concerned about my stow loss that I went back to weighing myself every day last week. This week I hope to cut it down to only weighing three times, you see we all have doubts. I must say weighing daily gives me more resolve. Just an idea.

Ok all it is frighteningly less than 5 months to Christmas. What a worrying thought. I hope that I don’t each to such excess this year, maybe a little too much yes but I shall let you know. We all have plenty of time to lose weight before that so we had better get started!!

Ginette

Hi all. Ginette, I’m with you on trying 3 FDs this week. Let’s compare notes at the end of the week. I need to do something to get the weight loss ball rolling again.

All of you, I’m impressed by your dedication to working out. I hate going to the gym, so am trying to do what I can at home. I’m working on a 30 day plank challenge for my abs (though at the rate I’m going it’s going to be a 50-60 day challenge) and walking at my treadmill desk. The dog days of summer are here, when Minnesota decides to mimic Florida–temps in the 90s and humidity to match. On the plus side, who feels like eating in weather like that? But it keeps me from getting outside to garden, cycle, and/or walk.

Jayney, I travel a lot as well. Since I prefer to travel very light, I wouldn’t think of taking a scale along. I think better to take along a skirt of pants with a non-elastisized waistband and let it tell you if you need to cut back. Takes up a lot less room in the luggage.

Nordlandlass, I too gained 3-4 pounds on my vacation. And was surprised to find, when I finally got up the courage to get on the scale last week (thanks to Sherry) that I had lost all but one of them. Without really being good about doing two fast days each week (more like one). So you will lose them too.

In solidarity with everyone who is fasting today.

MM

Hiya gals..

STARVING.. this fasting lark is not going so well for me recently. Can it be the heat?
    So far so good today, though. I have had a big bowl of soup (200 Cals) and a bit of bread and hummus (100 cals I am guessing). I intend to have a piece of fruit and a glass of milk before bed time in a couple of hours.

Thanks Janey for the advice. This is the same trainer I had before so I already know him; he is a nice guy and good at what he does. He hasn’t seen me since March, so I am wondering if he is going to notice a change. Let us wait and see.

I officially resigned today and it went much better than I expected.. phew! I have to tell my staff tomorrow and the count down for the three month notice starts. I will leave work at the end of October (earlier if I am lucky) and will take November and December off. How wonderful it would be if I manage to get to my target weight by the end of December. With Christmas and the holidays looming, I doubt it, but it would be nice to be thereabouts at least. This would mean about 10 Kgs less than I am now, so 5 months to do it. Doable, but not exactly plain sailing. Frankly, I would be happy to be 74 or so by then. I am at around 84Kg now. I keep going up and down and hovering around this weight. Maybe I will try Ginette’s blitz 4:3 next week. We’ll see. The important thing is that I will start the gym tomorrow. I have decided to go twice a week for the first couple of weeks and then take it from there. It is too hot to breathe, never mind exercise.

I hope all other fasters are faring better than I. Still, I focus on the fat melting away today.. that will keep me strong.

Salma

Hi Minnesota Miss and Salma

Yes it will be nice to have company on the 4:3. Welcome on board. The first week I think my body was in shock when I did it and the first week stayed the same, as you can imagine that is always a disappointment although I had been out for a meal the two days before weighing but the week after I lost 2 and then last week 3 so we shall see what next week brings.

I think it has to have some effects. I also know I have lost inches, I don’t know how many but I can tell by the way my clothes fit. I try not to obsess about inches or weight but with weight I know this is a good indicator, now if only I can shift that fat around my middle. My blouses are too large across the bust but they fit around the middle so I need that middle gone and it better go soon or I will shock it again with the gym!!

Let me know how your first gym session goes Salma, I truly can’t think of anything I would like to do less, but I think within the next couple of weeks I will be joining you.

Ginette

Hey MinnesotaMiss, I appreciate your thoughts about not traveling with scales, but others on the maintenance list do, so I’ve decided to go that route.

Salma, I’m glad to hear you’ll be with a trainer you’ve worked well with before. That should work out great. Please let us know how it goes. Also, if I could hit my goal as soon as I did, you should be able to as well. I believe I started 4:3 within ten pounds of my goal, so where you are now might be just right. I suggest starting out with a day or more between each fast day, then as you get closer to your goal you can try two or more fast days in a row. Just a thought.

Ginette, best of luck to you and the rest of the 4:3ers. It’s nice to hear from you more often!

Jayney

Good Morning all!

Not having the best morning. Had a rotten night’s sleep, I think mainly because the headaches are back. I didn’t have a sign of them for 2 days over the weekend, but they started yesterday afternoon and have continued ever since. Just a pain in the temple every once in a while. Enough to wake me, I guess. I was really hoping the antibiotics took care of it, but it appears not to be the case. I took the last pill yesterday. Quite depressing. That led me to feeling very tired this morning which led me to eat breakfast, which I rarely do. Now I’ll, no doubt, be hungry ALL day. Sorry to be such a whiney Wilma!

Salma…anxious to hear how it went at the gym today! Hope you enjoyed it! How exciting to be looking forward to a couple months off work at the end of the year and a new position to start the new year!

Sorry I can’t do more personals. My brain is fried this morning. I’ll have to pace around the office just to stay awake today.

Have a good day everyone!

Hi everyone
    All you stories sound so much like mine – find myself in my mid fifties and not sure how I managed to put on so much weight!
    You have all inspired me to try yet again to lose this bulk I have acquired so I intend to work out a weekly plan today and try a ‘fast day tomorrow.
    Will be visiting this forum on a regular basis.

Hi LobyLou 123, welcome to the forum, you will get lots of help and advice on here, it’s a great forum so make sure to pop back. With regards to the plan, it’s great to make one but don’t be worried about swapping FDs if you need to, I try an fast on Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday depending on what I have on, but also fast on a different day if I need to fit in with a meal out or a special occasion.

Lori I feel your pain, I too get bad headaches that last for a few days, I end up going to bed early and still getting up the next day with it even when I take medication. Is it a sinus type headache? if so I get them too and nothing works and I can’t take de congestion tablets as I have high blood pressure.
    Hope you manage to shift it soon. take care, sending you a cyber hug. X

Hi LoobyLou.. welcome. You will find oodles of support here. It is great you are starting a FD tomorrow.. it is a lot easier than you think..s tick with it and stick with us.. we’ll see you through the tough times.

Lori.. OMG.. I know all about headaches. I suffer with migraines and they are no fun. I hope you feel better soon. I also did not sleep well last night and only got 4 hours of sleep, but was on high adrenaline all day and ended up eating all kinds of rubbish including cheese sandwich, cookies, ice cream.. total rubbish. I think I may have stayed under 2000 cals today because I did not actually eat any proper food. Feeling awful and chastised.

To top it all, I ducked out of gym today. I texted the trainer (who is a sweetheart) that I was not feeling well and we shifted it to Thursday. NOT one of my best days, today. So, Lori, we seem to be in the same boat.

I hope we are both feeling better tomorrow.

Salma

Hi norlandlass
    Re sinus headaches….have you considered cutting down on grain based foods, particularly wheat? Also, having fermented foods, including kefir, can make a huge difference. PVE

Hi all!

Lori, I sympathize with the headaches, I have at least one a week, dehydration, stress and/or hormonal, so feel your pain, also get proper migraines like you Salma..:( I find taking re-hydration sachets helpful on FD’s when I get a headache. The only tablets that really help are Exedrine, but can’t get these in UK, only online.

Glad to know there are some 4:3ers as just starting that, to give myself a bit of a shove. Today thankfully at end of back to back, great yesterday, not so great today as keep on seeing the jar of raspberry jam in my fridge, which I won’t attack, tomorrow is another day. Thurs is next FD.

I think I would’ve lost weight quicker if I could stick to less than 500 cals per day, but never can, always 500-510, the NFD’s are easier and can do 1300-1400, average suppose it all balances out.

Ginette that sounds like a good loss!

My goal is my swimsuit waiting in my drawer, daren’t try it on yet, holiday is last week August, so have to stick to plan..(was it foolhardy to buy the size down?)

Salma good luck with trainer, sure you will be inspired, and be an inspiration to us, I think personal trainers are an amazing motivation..I’m not a fan of gyms though, so do lunges, planks and wall sits most days, seems to make a difference!
    Welcome Loobylou, hope FD was good!
    Hi to everyone else, off to bed before temptation calls

BB

Hi Loobylou

nice to see you here. Yes I agree it is easier than it sounds and you will soon adjust and I know it sounds mad, but you will look forward to the fast days!

Hi Norlandlass

I too have high blood pressure and thought that it would change after I lost the weight. Not so far….. I am nor thinking of trying Hiit. It is meant to be good for blood pressure, maybe check with your doctor first. I think that as long as I start sensibly it will be ok. I have seen it recommended to start at 10 seconds full on then a minute recovery to be repeated three times this should be done three times a week.

When I start the gym I shall ask the person who is doing the induction. I will let you know if you are interested.

Beldyboop

I have been doing this for three weeks and now into the fourth. I had an unexpected Chinese and I’m going for a meal out Thursday so I shall see how it copes with that. I find it does kickstart me but I never do well on the first week of it. Good luck, I think it makes it easier.

Ginette

Morning all,

PVE, thanks for that, I will have a look into the not eating grains and wheat although I don’t eat too much I don’t think, but will try and cut it out, and also look into Kefir as I’ve no idea what it is ☺️, thanks again.

Beldyboop, I’m 4:3 this week after a week away and putting 3lb on, well I say 4:3, I’ve done Sunday and Tuesday and am fasting Friday until I go to a charity strawberry tea in the evening so will have to see how that goes. I will probably do 4:3 next week too as need to get going again as have a wedding the first week in September where the hubby’s ex wife will be so want to look my best.

Ginette, please do let me know about HiiT as I’m willing to try anything and would love to get off my BP meds.

Loobylou, hope your first FD went well, it will get easier I promis, and like Ginette says you will get to looking forward to FDs, I did after my holiday, I felt so pleased to be back to normal and able to fast.

Take care everyone. Xx

Hi Everyone,

Welcome LoobyLou123. Please let us know how you get on with your first fast day. Salma, kudos to you for recognizing this wasn’t the day to start with the trainer and making another appointment. Please let us know how you get on with that on Thursday. Have a great rest of your week one and all!

Jayney

Good Morning Everyone!

What a difference a good night’s sleep makes! Feeling good this morning. I’m beginning to think that my headaches may be a symptom of TMJ. My right jaw has been a bit sore and Monday night I ate a bunch of popcorn(to the point my jaw hurt) and then had the terrible headache that night and the morning of the next day. Who knows? I did some jaw stretching exercises yesterday and the headache went away. I had a very faint stabbing pain this morning, but not like yesterday. I don’t know…I think I’m grasping at straws. I don’t want to have to have the CT scan etc etc. We’ll see. I’ll try to quit complaining about it here! I know you’re all tired of hearing about it! πŸ˜‰

Heading to boot camp in a little while for cardio boxing. Nothing like pounding on the heavy bag to start your day!

My husband is leaving this afternoon to go to the beach with our kids & grandkids and some friends. I don’t have enough vacation days to go along. Truth be told, I’m happier here at home. The house will be packed with people and mass confusion. He and a friend will make the 5 hour drive this afternoon. He’ll be home on Saturday afternoon. I was helping him pack last night. OY!

Hope you all have a great day. I’m going to stick to my eating window today and keep the calories rather low. We went out for dinner last night, so I need a low calorie day today.

Hey Lori,

Sorry to hear about your jaw. I know this might not be something you’d be interested in, and I sincerely hope your jaw is all better by the time you arrive next month, but just in case you’d care to, the naturopath who introduced me to 5:2 is primarily a chiropractor (in fact, I’ve generally seen him in that capacity for over 20 years) and can treat for TMJ if that’s what it is or you’d like to have it looked at while you’re here. I sure hope you don’t need him, but he’s there if you do. Just FYI. I hope you feel better soon.

Jayney

Thanks Jayne! I see a chiro on a regular basis and I’m going to talk to her about it as well. Good to know there is someone out there in case I get in “trouble”. Thanks again!

We had a killer boot camp session. Very sweaty & very fun! Lots of laughs along with the hard work. Love it!

Eating window will not open until at least 1 this afternoon. I’m going home to switch vehicles with the husband so he can leave for the beach. I’ll be driving his big truck for the rest of the week. It’s better than walking! LOL!

Hope everyone has a good day whether fasting, or not!

Hi all and welcome LoobyLou.

Lori, so sorry to hear about the headaches. Do get a proper workup with a doctor. TMJ is the likely culprit, but there are other possibilities. Not to scare you, but a friend of mine developed arteritis, an inflammation of the arteries in her head that gave her headaches in the temples. It’s easily controlled with meds. I join in the sympathy–used to suffer from terrible migraines myself. Losing them was the one good side effect of menopause. Before that I had to take a prescription med,Imatrex, what I used to call bringing on the big guns. Even Excedrin didn’t do the job. The Imatrex was a godsend.

Sherry, I thought of you and got up the courage to get on the scale this morning. 132.8, so not quite a pound down this week. You? Let’s do this month in tandem. Three more pounds to get rid of the awful “3” in the middle.

Good luck to all fasters today.

MM

Viewing 50 posts - 1,801 through 1,850 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.