Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,651 through 1,700 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi All,
    I’ve not been on for about a week but from what I’ve read it’s a bit of a mixed bag with some staying the same and some loosing.
    Well I hope the ones that aren’t loosing at the moment don’t give up as I’m sure you will soon start to see the weight loss if not in pounds or kilos the clothes should start to feel slacker.
    I’m feeling great at the moment and love the fast diet. It’s great fasting and the feel you get when you finish a FD, and I can’t believe how much energy I have even on FDs, I managed a 4 mile run on Monday after a FD and was really pleased with myself.
    I’m also pleased with the weight loss, so far after 3 weeks I’ve lost 10lb and my clothes are feeling slacker as I’ve lost inches.
    I can’t say that I’ve been perfect either, I’ve eaten out 3 times in the last week and also otwice the week before and had wine, so I don’t know how much I would of lost if I’d been good and eaten less.
    Hope you are all having a good weekend and the scales are kind to you on your next weigh in.
    Debbie x

Good morning.. I hope everyone is having a good Sunday.
    Wow Norlandlass, you have done so well. Congratulations. 10 lbs in 3 weeks is amazing.
    I weighed myself this morning and the scales registered 86 Kg. Considering that I started at 93 Kg, this is a weight loss of 7 Kgs in about4 months. Bear in mind that about one and a half months were useless with traveling and eating out all the time, so I am pleased with the weight loss (15.4 lbs in 5 months – a BIT slower than you Norlandlass 🙂 ). I really do not want to lose too quickly as it would affect my face and other bits would not have time to adjust.

So, today is a semi-fast day.. let’s see ho wit goes.

Salma

Good Morning!

Salma & Debbie….great work on the weight loss! Slow & steady wins the race!

I’m off for an early tee time this morning. It rained all night, so the course will be wet, but at least it has stopped raining and looks to be clearing out. We have been lucky as we didn’t get wet yesterday either. I played well for half the round yesterday, but then fell apart on the back 9. Oh well…today is a new day. We’ll have fun win or lose.

Back to fasting tomorrow & looking forward to it.

Have a great day!

Hi y’all! FD today for me (for everybody?)
    Having had a fabulous first month and losing a whole stone, the weekend has been a bit of a disaster. PMS has meant lots of overeating (I hesitate to call it binging exactly – I think its probably more what I ate daily before discovering this wol…)
    PMS has always been surrounded with eating issues for me, as for so many. Difference is, I’m no longer saying ‘there’s no point in trying to lose weight’ but ‘I’m going to have a few difficult days each month until my body realises I’m too old for all this’ but the rest of the time I’m in control. Put on a couple of pounds of course, but hopefully that’ll whoosh off quite soon.
    I am out for supper tonight but believe I can make good choices and come in around the 500. Out with a large mixed group – people often choose say a couple of starters as many of them are sportspeople. I’m not quite in that category but my pedometer has arrived! 8500 steps yesterday, aiming for the magic number today.
    Hope you’re all feeling positive today!
    Kate Eve xx

Hi sounds like everone is on the up – or is it the down – and losing.

After three days of frankly eating wonderfully, stayed the same so far this week, which is wonderful – I have to reluctantly admit the 68,000 steps I did, including walking up and down hotel corridors at midnight to round up numbers, and walking around station platforms rather than standing, helped a great deal.

Salma, you may be pleased to know that I read a piece in the paper stating that wine doesnt affect weight loss, the calories DONT turn to fat. Something Ive always suspected (wished?)

Also, sitting in Hotel Chocolat, drinking hot chocolate and sharing a very tasty salted caramel brownie – I dont even like brownies, but this was heaven – I read their new cookbook. Apparently Mayan Warriors walked to battle, fought and won, eating only a few cocoa beans.

So I suspect chocolate should be elevated to super food, and excempt from calorie counting too!!! Though only very good quality chocolate!!!

And, the author puts cocoa on his fried eggs, interesting thought for the foodies on this thread.

Fast day today, might even lose weight this week, hope y’all have a good one!!

Milena! I’m onboard with the wine & chocolate being exempt from calorie counting! YAY! 😉

I had an active weekend and then a rough boot camp workout this morning & I’m feeling a bit wiped out. My eating window doesn’t open until 1-2, and I’ll make it. I’m going to try opening my window with coconut oil this week and see how it goes. When I eat much between 1-2, then I’m not hungry for dinner with my husband. I’m going to try the coconut oil & maybe some protein like eggs or nuts & cheese. My window closes between 6 & 7, so we like to eat by 5:30. Having the eating window does naturally make you eat less calories. Love it!

Playing catch up at work since I was off on Friday. The pile doesn’t look too bad.

Have a great day!

Hi All I’m back after a long hiatus of not posting. I tend to revolve around three threads – each thread has such a great supportive group of people – but can’t keep up with posting to all three, although I always read.

Salma don’t get discouraged, I think you said it yourself, each day is a new day and a chance to get those FDs under your belt. Milena good work, the well-deserved shine from your halo is blinding me. Janeyw, I also wish you success in the job hunt, I truly do not envy you and I really admire how you are keeping your spirit up. Shout out to BB, Ginette, Lori and my apologies to anyone I may have missed.

I posted this on another thread:

I am stuck in another rut, but I have come to a decision of sorts. I want to lose 1 more lb to bring myself to 130 lbs, and then I think I am going to forget about those last 2 lbs and start maintenance. My body seems to be sending a very clear message that it is comfortable around 130 lbs. Even though I am stalled, I am still loosing inches now that I have begun running and weight training again. I can fit into almost all my favourite clothes, there is just one last dress that I think will resolve with toning. I will always be lurking around the the thread – it was due to the support I found here that I managed to lose 22 lbs. Thank you!!!!! The same thanks go out to you all as well.

The link I was talking about is a very interesting study regarding what is becoming endemic sleep deprivation these days, the writer terms it “Social Jet Lag”. Lack of sleep causes all sorts of ills and also drives us to eat more – our body is determined to take in energy to compensate for the lack of sleep.

http://www.brainpickings.org/2012/05/11/internal-time-till-roenneber/
    Keep well and keep focused everyone. After this last lb, I move on to maintenance! Wish me luck.

DJ.. how wonderful. Congratulations and well done.
    Also, thanks on the article about sleep disturbance.. it has been a killer for me in recent months.

Lori. Can you tell me a little more about your “eating window”? it seems it is only 4 hours? So, you don’t eat except in that window? Any calorie restriction? How is it working for you? Too many questions, I know, but I am curious.

Milena.. I love the chocolate and wine concept. One can live in hope.

I hope everyone has a glorious Tuesday.

First of all…Well Done DJ! Maintenance is only a dream for me, but onward we go!

Salma…sorry for the confusion about my plan. I actually eat in a 5-6 hour window. The plan is actually called Fast 5 and is meant to be a 5 hour window but sometimes I stretch it a bit. There is no calorie restriction or any food you cannot eat. You simply do not take in any calories except during your eating window. Any consecutive 5 hours a day. Some do a later window, like 5-10, but that is much too late for me. I like either 1-6 or 2-7. In the first 2 weeks, I lost 3 lbs. It is the first that I have shown a loss in a long time. I’m hopeful that it will help me lose this last 25 lbs. I didn’t know how it would work with me doing my boot camp workouts in the morning. I thought I may be low on energy and then starving all morning, but not so. I drink black coffee & lots of water and a couple cups of green tea(no sweetener) while fasting. There is a free Fast 5 ebook online at bertherring.com This is the Dr who came up with the plan. He also has a new book AC..which stands for appetite correction. It is quite interesting.

My..I have gone on and on! I’m going out for a run this morning. Have a great day!

9:24 am

23 Jun 15

Edit | Reply

Hi all, My name is Abby I am 51 and I am obese. I am 158 cm and my weight plummeted over the years up to 104 kg now. Feel big and hate it. I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I am going for a mastectomy in couple of weeks (a bit extreme in trying to loose weight, some might say!- just joking…).
    I want to start the 5:2 diet and I need to know if I would put my body into much strain doing it. I’ve been on different diets and managed even to loose about 2st 5 years ago, then had a heart attack…not so great as incentive so I completely slowed down and my weight gone mad. Since on menopause I’ve been getting dependent on sweets… My weight is now higher then has ever been… Now I do feel ready to do it and I NEED to do it and I would be grateful to get your advice and support please! Many thanks.

Hi Lori

Im liking it too – finding most days I have just one meal and I can go a bit mad and still come in under 1000 calories, and on fast days a meal of 375 is quite doable, if I have two meals and a few cuppas, I seem to have very little left for dinner. I have one day off from it though, two meals and not counting calories on that day is something to look forward to and keeps me in line for the rest of the week.

Ive now got two pounds still to lose to hit this month’s target of 5lbs. Cutting it fine, but pleased Im a pound down despite going easy all weekend. Then straight into another 6 weeks of Fast Beach from the beginning of July. The seat in the Lotus is sooo much more comfortable than last year, but Im a bit concerned about sitting in it for days – my broken tail bone – sorry, cant spell cocsiss – gives me gip after a couple of hours sometimes, so Im hoping to find a better position. Cant say Ive lost enough off my bum up to now to worry much about my bony ass yet! But a stone less by my hols may help?

Enjoy the run, Lori. On telly the other night someone, Morgan Freeman, though not sure why, said running for half an hour extends your life by half an hour, though you lose that half hour in the time spent running.
    So, seems all you need to do to live forever is to never stop running! Im exhausted thinking about that!

DJ – well done. I think you have a great attitude – why sweat the small stuff. Ive targetted to 124lbs, but 140lbs would actually be heaven!!!

Found out son has broken a bone in his hand. Did it weeks ago but kept being fobbed off by doctor. Finally one took him seriously instead of just giving him paracetamol.

By the way, prescriptions are free for everyone in Scotland – but I do wonder what the charge is to the NHS, to have a prescrpition written by a doctor, and filled by a qualified pharmascist, when Aldi charge 45p for double the amount? Makes you wonder what the SNP would do with FFA? Oh, I don’t need to, we have Greece for a good example!

Anyway, being a man, son is now expecting to be waited on. Good luck with that! Made his dinner last night, my bit done!

Cat survived weekend without us, but collapsed in litter tray yesterday while we were at the hospital. Luckily litter was dry, she has peed over the edge. You have to see the funny side, poor mite. A prayer to St Francis, I think.

Have a great day – Im off to Costa sometime today. If I open my window at 3, I can have a coffee and dinner at around six!

Hi Abby

I dont know whether to laugh or cry, but Im a sucker for a black sense of humour. You do hsve true grit, gal!

Can I be rude and ask if you are getting replacements, wont help your weight but you wont suffer with ‘spaniel ears’.

There are a couple of medical folk and also folk eho have gone through this on the forum, hope they can help. All I would say is take advice, and read as much as you can. Look into the effects of sugar, suggesting thst as you mentioned sweets.

I began not much lighter that you, and I think Im shorter, going well after doing it for nearly six months, so you csn do it. Even if you cant start straight away, plan to start and plan to progress. I would advise anyone to read the books and to do the planning, so take the time to get your head around this way of life.

Stay with us and let us all know how you are getting on.

Travel hopefully……….

Hi Abby,

I surely am sorry for all you’re going through. I would discuss any major dietary change with your Doctor and see what he/she thinks. I’m with Milena on the sugar thing. Do some research on how cancer cells thrive on sugar. Get enough protein to help with your recovery. Again…your Dr will be the one to ask. Good thoughts coming your way.

Hi Abby

forgot to mention, Ive been reading a lot about longer fasts, there are some ongoing clinical tests on fasting and chemotherapy. Worth googling, dunno what your medical team will think about it, but something else to discuss.

Hi Abby. Sorry to hear about your troubles and good to see you can approach the situation with humour. While it is not funny, our attitudes determine how we deal with situations like this. Best of luck on that journey. We are here to support you in whichever way we can. Just give us a shout when you need to.

Girls.. I am struggling here, but at least I am not gaining. I seem to be inching downwards, so PATIENCE and PERSEVERANCE are required. Sigh!!

I hope everyone is on the down and down though.
    Good night.

Salma

Hi everyone!

Salma, if it’s any comfort, I struggled on FD today, don’t know why, long day I suppose, but have made it, and am off to bed to read before I get tempted..at least as you say you’re not gaining, keep strong 😉

I kept on saying to myself today as I edged a fingers distance of the biscuit tin, not only “nothing tastes like skinny feels” but also “You are giving your body the rest it deserves” which I plagiarized from someone on a thread, it seemed to work. Sticking with my Fitbit has put back my faith in exercise and is a huge motivator. I’m a great believer in finding the exercise that makes you happy, Armageddon style boot camps, kick box, insanity, trampolining whatever, for me the dancing works, bugger the calories it burns, although that’s a plus, it’s the feel good factor..am too long in the tooth for “no pain no gain” but do make an exception with a 2 minute plank every day! killer

Abbey Welcome 🙂 this forum has made it for me, so if you stay with, I’m sure it will be a great support.

Happy fasting to all
    Hi DJ, Lori, Milena, Debbie and Kate!

Hi Beldyboop.. you and me both.. I love dancing too.. now that is one form of exercise that I can live with. I am using my fitbit, but with my grueling schedule at work these days, I am hardly notching up 2,500 steps a day. Right now, it is really difficult to keep the faith, but I keep my fingers out of the biscuit tin (as it were), particularly as I don’t own one and will not buy biscuits because they are too much of a temptation. When I am desperate for chocolate, I have my hazelnut/coca concoction.

I keep reminding myself that this is a new way of life and NOT a diet. Sometimes, remembering that is difficult.

Salma

Hi Salma

no-one said itwould be easy – but the sense of achievement for every pound is worth the pain!!!

Wait until those too tight clothes begin to hang off you and make you look like a bag lady.

Interesting evening, just watched a programme about mountain lions was rooting for the final cub after her mum, brothers and sister all died, bloody heartbreaking, cuddling my own wee mountain lion who really seems to be a death’s door all day – and the final cub died – biy was I a wreck, needed a glass of wine – good excuse I thought!

But then my wee mite got up, waddled to the kitchen and demanded – very loudly – her supper!!! So what if I have to feed her by hand? Life in the old dog – cat – yet!

Hi Beldy

Love having you around, I miss Jayney when she’s not here, I find you exercisers give me the kick I need – sometimes anyway . Salma, stick with the fitbit, I was walking up and down hotel corridors justvto get to the next round number, and walked around railway platforms rsther than just standing – I even took steps. Two hundred extra steps a day is two marathons a year!!!!

Wow Milena.. that puts it in perspective: 200 steps a day being two marathons. That makes things seem a lot more achievable. I keep promising myself to get back to the gym, and I will, I will.. I only need to make sure that it is at a time that I will continue. Right now, it seems like an almost impossibility.

I want to lose one pound this week and I think I MIGHT achieve that. I am not following everything strictly, but have started Lori’s “window” method. I find if I have a dinner or invitation, it is far easier when I have nothing else all day and just those 4 or 5 hours to do damage. That way, the damage is contained.

I know exactly what it feels like walking around in circles and up and down stairs just to get the right number on the fitbit.. I think that is its engineering brilliance 🙂

Salma

Good Morning!

Salma….glad you’re giving the window method a try! I love how you say the “damage is contained”. That is SO true! Some people say they just ate and ate for the whole 5 hours. I don’t see how you could do that, but I’m lucky not to have a binging problem. I have to be careful not to eat too much when my window opens, like go out for lunch, as then I don’t want any dinner! So basically I have a snack and a meal each day. Sometimes I do have another small snack right before my window closes, but I wouldn’t need it and must break that habit. Good luck!

Ready for boot camp, but I’m SO sore from Monday that I’m almost dreading this morning’s workout. I know I’ll be glad when it’s done, but it’s a bit of a struggle today.

I think we may go out for dinner tonight so maybe just a yogurt when my window opens at 2.

Have a good day!

Hi Lori and Milena,
    Please could you tell me a bit more about the fast 5, do you still do 2 fast days and 5 days of only eating for a total of 5 hours, and in those 5 hours you can eat normally?

Welcome Abby and I’m sorry to hear about your health problems and hope your operation goes smoothly. Please keep coming back and letting us know how you are getting on so we can support you, also when your feeling up to it you will find this way of life great.
    Love Debbie x

Hi Norlandlass,

You can do it any way you want and in whatever way works best for you since we are all different. I don’t count calories at all. I eat what I want, but I tend to eat low carb and try to be healthy. I merely do not eat when my window is not open, which is usually from 2PM-7PM. I do this 4-5 days a week and then take weekends off. I am only on my 3rd week, so we’ll see how it goes long term.

Some people still do their 500 calorie days within their window a couple times a week, but I chose to not have to count.

Good luck!

Hi Debbie

on the nail Lori, whatever works. Ive been at it about the same length of time, but true to form, if there’s a harder way I’ll have a go.

So Im doing a quarter of my TDEE at my next target weight, 375 cals. On non fast days I keep to the same window, tryng for 20:4.

Daft – but based on good reasoning – I got fat through over eating, not binging and not sugar addiction. So my challenge is to rein it in and having a window helps – if go out to 19:5 cos I fancy a tea or coffee, I don’t sweat it, but try not to have even tea outside the window.

Not as hard as it sounds, and I rarely eat over 1200 calories, even with wine, so I ease right off, one day a week.

As we had beakfast included in the hotel deal at the weekend, plan was to eat a big breakfast and dinner, ended up with just a couple of boiled eggs, but did have coffee and cake. A nice break but I found eating in the morning a real struggle.

Extending this regime to water fasts on fast days next month, as the effects of the fasting phases interest me greatly.

Hi all, and welcome Abby
    I too got a breast cancer diagnosis last fall [initially very scary, but then just got on the train and did what I could to support my body with healing as best I could]. I did chemo first,[every situation is different], now hormonal therapy, and have just got back from Vancouver consulting with my surgeon team re summer surgery: 2 mastectomies and reconstruction. While I have heard [belatedly] that chemo and fasting can go well together, I think pre and post surgery you mainly need to be sure you are getting lots of coloured veg fruits and protein in your diet to speed recovery, and it may not be the time to overly stress the system. Everyone here does their own version of 5 2 — some more casually, and some more strictly and intensely — and you will find your own rhythm, but I think starting with more healthful foods and trying restricting to the 500 two separate days is a great start.
    I know when I began 5 2, I also seemed to eat less crap on the other days too, and have much less of a sweet tooth now.
    Best wishes to you. 🙂 Read lots from good websites, and remember to take time to destress and be kind to yourself.
    And congrats to all you losers out there. I went up one this week with all the visiting in Vancouver!

Hello Ladies, My 2nd day back from a 10 day stress stint in Italy. My arms and legs broke out in hives (the mosquito bites did not swell as much, and stay around as long: 6 on my forehead) I worked HARD, walked much, especially up and down 8 ramps of stairs, if there was an ‘up’ there was a ‘down’, but I also had ice cream (5) and beer (3). I did not eat much meat protein, and besides a pugliese bread loaf I ate whole grain. (the most expensive grissini I have EVER seen, but so good). I ended up staying in my place with no fridge, or stove to cook on. I lived on parmesian cheese and apples, a mozzarella, and MUCH water. No tea!! I I was not looking forward to weighing in when I came back, so I did so after my 1st day back, immediately dedicated to healing day strategy. I was so happy this morning when curiosity got the best of me and I weighed my self: 100gr rise!!! ONLY!!!! I went swimming today:40 mins after walking down to the sea front. Clive came straight there from work and waited in order to take me back salty wet . I celebrated both our anniversary of having met 12 years ago and having NOT put on wieght!!! I sauteed the anniversary wild mushrooms CF bought me, and then mixed them with brown rice I had prepared for the 2 of us earlier. Magic. No wine, no fun alone. I will keep the bottle for when a drinker comes along for an evening. I am dedicating myself to 4:3 formatt for a while. I want to slip under this plateau and start heading down. I am amazed at actually how much food one can eat for 500 Kcals, so the healing days are only problematic in that I get very cold around 15:00 onwards. When I am home, I slip into bed and take a nap, I wakeup warmer and sounder of mind. That is not really an option when I am working like tomorrow when I am on day 2 of 4:3. I worked hard today, as well, helping CF prepare and empty out the future CF cozy/meditation room. Clearing out kg. of objects and chub! Books, bed, shoes, shirts, videos/DVDs, misc. went to Emmaeus organisation. Freedom of space!!!!
    Janey: you are an inspiration! Threshold/plateau… it all takes some doing to get beyond it. I agree about the probiotics helping in many sorts of ways. Salma: I indulged and yet did so much physical exercise in the meanwhile, working that I did not really put any kgs. on! I also realised that my skinny years was spent doing so much heavy physical exercise. I used to do those 8 flights of stairs with my bike on my shoulders!! Different times. Beldyboop: I had a roaring headache during those 10 days away, as well. It also happened to me at home on a Healing/fasting day. I ate something so that I could take the medicine and went to bed. We are changing neuronal paths in our brain by re-organising our behaviour and thoughts regarding food and exercise. I am sure that is taxing inner work and headaches just want us to take a rest… Lori: your discovery about dark vs milk chocolate was something that I too found out, much to my salvation. Unfortunately, now hubby has switched from milk to dark chocolate as well, so temptation is ever more present. Someone coined the phrase “Sleep walking into calories” described the every issue I face, both fast and feed days. HAHHH! Ginette: What a cute video. At first I was skeptical, but the ingenuity surpassed Wiley Coyote’s efforts to get to roadrunner. I love reading and hearing about how it goes for ya all.You are all so dynamite and ready to comfort, inform and challenge one another.

Hi All

I hope everything is going well for you. I’m not on here much these days but I try to read posts when I can.

A special welcome to you Abby and my thoughts are with you, good luck on getting through your treatments. Positive thoughts heading your way.

Phoebe well done on giving good advice from someone who has been through it. Yes a great video.

One we should all be mindful of.

Actor reveals how he gained more than a stone and developed fatty liver disease after eating low fat foods for 60 days… because they were packed with SUGAR
    http://dailym.ai/1QS0CVb

Ginette

Nice to see you Ginette! Yes….sugar is the devil, no doubt.

Scale was up almost a pound this morning, but I’m putting it down to sore muscles and slow transit of food. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😉
    It couldn’t be the cheese & pretzels every night just before my window closes, could it? HA!

Have a lovely weekend and enjoy!

Hi ladies,

I am having a rather hectic time at work which keeps me away from the forum.. but on the positive side, I have been too busy to think about food. I am following Lori’s “Window in Time” – or WIT – method and it seems to be working. I had set myself a target of losing 1 lb this week, and the scales seem to be cooperating in that direction (so far). The official weigh time is Monday morning, so will report later.

Ginette, it is SO nice to see you here again. Awsome link. Thank you.
    Lori..I am following in your footsteps, so when the pretzels beckon.. think of poor me!

Salma

Hi everyone!

thanks Ginette, quite sobering about the sugar, have always hated “lite” yoghurts for example, with that horrible metallic sugar flavor, give me a full fat one anyday.

So Thurs was a potential flop, same as you ladyfilosopher, pounding, roaring headache and went on all day! and part of the next morning. Halfway through my fast I thought s** it, long day at work, headache and FD, not good, so just kept under 1200, and cheered up a lot! Today did a “window” hey it’s catching! and it does seem to be good, it’s a 20:4 more or less, which seems to be ok. The headaches are a real drag, partly hormonal partly dehydration. I read somewhere, you can shout me down if you know otherwise, being thirsty means you are already dehydrated and that sometimes if you tend not to drink enough the water rushes through you like a “dry creek”, maybe some truth, that you have to drink before the thirst. Also a nurse friend told me that water often isn’t enough, sports drink with electrolytes work best, but the down side is the cals, and they can rot your teeth. All quite boring, sorry for the ramble. I’m going to mindfully get re-hydration sachets after my Zumba, as don’t have much time to swig during.

Back to the window, it’s funny how a shift in hours can change things psychologically, I think I will do a window on Fri and keep FD for Tue possibly Wed when I’m less tired.

Overall have lost 11 Ibs big surprise for me, losing weight off funny places, and wondering what shape I’ll be, the last time I was “thin” was in my late 30’s, it will be interesting to see what I end up with, my mum and grandmother (both RIP) changed as they got older and became more apple like, I’m hoping to get a balance but can see a bit of appledom evolving!

thanks for sharing Phoebe 🙂
    Salma am with you on the window, hope you can get some rest

Beldy

Keep the faith Beldyboop..
    We can but do what we can do.. some days are better than others. MAke sure you have enough water intake in a day. You know I mentioned that I suffer with migraines once or twice a month.. ain’t no fun.. especially if you are on a fast day. So do what you feel is right.I think your plan makes sense.
    11 lbs is great. Well done. I also am beginning to feel a looser waistband on skirts and so on, so am feeling good. Today, someone commented that I seem to be losing a lot of weight. Isn’t it funny, you toil for months and suddenly someone notices. It is still good though. I will keep with this window lark for a while and see how things progress.

Salma

Hi All

Funny, Salma, I just lost my reply and then read yours. Great loss Beldy, we often get obsessed with the scales and miss the bigger picture. I’ve lost 8 inches from my waist, finally I can see there is a hope of – perhaps not getting even a shadow of my younger body back – but getting a healthier body, no matter what the scales say. I’m now under 30 inches, which at under 5′ 3″ puts my waist at less than half my height. Apparently important – I figure every centimetre closer to the 50% ideal is something to be celebrated far more than weight lost. So very well done Salma on the loose skirt, and Im so pleased your gathering speed on your journey. Im, as always, still either on your bumper or bringing out the tow rope.

On the other hand my waist isn’t much bigger than my thighs, though they are reducing and there is much less water retention, and I have less pain in my knees.

Many blessings to be counted.

Re sugar, I remember boiled sweets, gobstoppers, sugar on cereals, dipping rhubarb, highland toffee, candy floss, seaside rock, Turkish delight, folks have 3 or 4 sugars in tea, sherbet dips etc etc. Can’t imagine any of it was much good, can’t remember anyone worrying about it doing much harm either. But then we ate fatty beef, butter and full cream milk, and dripping sandwiches.

Maybe because then owt we ate was simply fuel, it was used as fuel and not stored as fat.

So was sugar less of an evil then? Or was the 50s and 60s the start of the rot, and hence here we are? Could the same be said of fat? Or are neither evil, the evil is the change from eating to live, to living to eat.

There are places where people eat an unrefined high fat diet. I wonder if anywhere a natural high sugar diet is eaten. It would be interesting to compare and analyse them.

Have a great weekend everyone, and I’ll be keeping company with anyone fasting tomorrow.

Travel hopefully……….

Hi All. Dont think I will be able to really keep away, I miss you all. In actually fact I probably shouldnt stay away, my first week of so called maintenance was a disaster! It is Jazz Fest time in Montreal and I am on holiday! Doing quite well during the day, but tending to eat on the run as I go from venue to venue. By the time I got home last night I was hot, tired and ravenous. For some idiotic reason I bought a box of praline, caramel crunch ice cream bars, knowing full well I have no willpower.

You all know the ugly end of the story – all 6 ice cream bars and 1,500 calories later…. Needless to say, today is a fast day! I have been reading the discussion about starting an eating window with lots of interest. I also read some of the research about it, and it seems a great and somewhat less painful way of gaining the health benefits that full fasting does. I think I am going to give it a try. Be well all, enjoy your Sundays.

Hi DJ

I attempted a fast day yesterday, got to my window, but ended up grazing, for the second night, all God intentions went south, ate stuff I hadn’t had in months.

Looks like Wednesday is going to be nice – well we are in Scotland so not too hopeful, but going to the Scottish Borders for the day, a rare day off.

Thursday is son’s birthday, so doing usual fast day tomorrow and beginning FBD on Thursday.

Hope everyone has good weather this week, makes salads an easier choice – though ice-cream too, unfortunately.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be away so long again. The job search has really been heating up, and this past week I had five job interviews (two of which were second interviews). At the same time the health insurance from the employer that laid me off expires this Tuesday, so I’ve been making doctor’s appointments like mad since until this past week I hadn’t either had my teeth cleaned, seen an ophthalmologist, etc. since 2002 (the last time I had a full time job with benefits). (yes, I know, we loony yanks)–but I digress.

Welcome to all the new folks! Abby51, I can’t imagine your situation, but please know that everyone on this forum (including me) supports you in your journey to health–whatever that looks like! Ginette, it’s great to see you back. I think we must both be on a similar cycle! Milena, it’s great to see you sometimes post on the maintenance forum (the only other thread I follow), and I look forward to seeing more of your posts there. Salma, hang in there with your migraines. I know they must be excruciating, but you will endure and surpass them!

DJ–your experience the first week of maintenance mirrors mine! Immediately after I surpassed my goal the first time I had several events featuring food over the next week and a half period (starting the day after I surpassed goal). I continued fasting two days I think, and instead of going from water/psyllium/supplements only fast days to 500 calorie fast days, I delayed that transition until I was at or under goal. It did take a while, but after just over two weeks I was back under goal, and since that time (the last seven weeks and a day) there have been eight separate occasions when my weight has been OVER goal. The rest of the time my weight has been UNDER or at goal. If I can do it, you can too! I hope you find encouragement in this.

Beldyboop, your nurse friend is right that sports drinks with electrolytes work best (I always drink them when working out), but the down side is the cals, and they can rot your teeth–that is certainly true of things like Gatorade, which I haven’t had in years. I’ve mostly been using a product made by a Seattle company called Nuun. They especially make tablets to put in water for athletes, however, they now have a new energy drink that I’ve purchased and will try when the Nuun U Natural Hydration product I have (also with vitamins and electrolytes–and NO sugar–7 calories per tab) runs out. Here is a link to the Nuun Energy product–made WITHOUT sugar at 8 calories per tab (one tab per 16 oz. water). I know Nuun is sold internationally because athletes the world over use it. Please let me know what you think of it if you end up trying it.

https://nuun.com/products/nuun-energy/

The scales have been kind to me this week. At yesterday’s Gay Pride festivities (where I was recording a show) free hot dogs, popcorn, and ice cream were advertised, so I actually had TWO water/psyllium/supplements only fast days (as opposed to one 500-calorie fast day) to make sure I was trimmed down enough in preparation. On the morning of yesterday’s event I was a full two pounds/.9 kilos/.14 stone BELOW goal, so was prepared to pig out at the festivities and packed no lunch.

As it turned out, there were food vendors at the event as well, and the organisation handing out the free food didn’t want to compete, so the only free food available was popcorn and apples. I took both, but ended up bringing the apple home. Because I hadn’t packed lunch, I bought a hot dog, but being gainfully unemployed as I am wasn’t going to buy ice cream too (which cost as much or more than the hot dog BTW), so only gained a little as of this morning and am STILL well under goal. This is important because I’m meeting with a new trainer at the gym today who will be taking measurements.

I will keep to my plan today, and if I’m still under goal by tomorrow morning will have a refeed day then, for which I have gotten a treat. However, I plan a similar week ahead due to this week’s 4 July festivities–you know, when we yanks celebrate our independence from the lot of you Brits! Won’t THAT be fun? 😉

Hiya all,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi.
    Janeyw, it is so nice to see you here and sincere wishes for finding a new job soon. The one thing that keeps me in mine is the fear of going through a phase of applying and waiting and not having anything. Sometimes, I hate going to work, most days it is okay. I would LOVE to get up in the morning looking forward to my work day. As it stands now, I steel myself to tolerate it. Still, one has to focus not he positive things that each life situation affords us. There is always some positive that we can and should focus on.

My weigh in is tomorrow morning, and I will report then. Deep breath!

Salma

Hi Janeyw

fingers crossed for something good on the job front – looks like at least the maintenance is going well! Let us know.

I lurk on the maintenance thread – my middle name is ‘planner’ and I am looking at the long term on this WOL – a lot of good sense spoken on that thread.

Though not going to be there for a long while, June was a game of two halves – hoping to get to my June target in spite of a trip away and even in spite of a couple of grazing days last week – Saturday was not good, but will just have to pull up my socks for July. I shall have a long talk with myself!

Travel hopefully ………

Okay.. so today was weigh in. I stand at 85.4 Kg.. so I HAVE lost the 1 lb this week (yaaay!!)
    I am going at a snail’s pace, but at least driving in the right direction.I have lost 7.6 Kgs (17 lbs approx) since Feb, so this is a rate of 1.5 Kg (3.3 lbs) per month, including the one month where everything went haywire.

So, overall, I am happy with the results and hoping to be at 83 by the end of July. I have a big and exciting trip at the end of August for which I was hoping to be 80Kg, but would be quite satisfied with 81. Another 15 Kgs or so to target, but I am one third of the way there.. can’t be that bad!

Milena, I think I have to have that tough talk with myself too!

Have a great one, everyone.

H everyone,

Just to wish you luck for the week ahead, and happy fasting

Janeyw thanks for the info about those hydration products, very useful 🙂 .It sounds like it takes a while to adjust once at target, thanks for the top tips and well done!

Milena also going to start FBD, we can be partners in crime. I’m doing a trial til Friday, as have a works meal on Thurs, and not sure if I will have a beer, have already cut out wine, to make the whole thing bearable, it will be the Freddos I miss, lol. This means I will finish on August 17, which is great because planning mini-holiday the week after.

Salma, that’s a great loss, I’m also going slow, I lose a pound every 2 weeks generally, that stays off 🙂 but hoping FBD will give me a shove..
    DJ have a good 4 July.

Overall this window thing has been really good at the weekend, when I go a bit mad, so did it 4pm-8pm on Fri, and Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm works well..

Best to all

Good Monday morning!

After a weekend of eating and drinking with abandon, the scale is up less than a pound. Whew! I’m relieved. I had no loss last week, but hoping to drop a couple pounds this week. We’ll see.

Salma…congrats on the loss! Slow & steady wins the race! Keep up the great work.

Good luck to those starting the FBD. I should research that a bit as I’m not exactly sure what it entails. I’m really enjoying the “window” approach and hope to stick with it indefinitely.

Off to boot camp in a few minutes. Let’s get this week started!

Janey, so excited for you. All fingers and toes crossed and positive thoughts of success going out to you.

Salma I am in the same boat as you, I also have to steel myself to go to work each morning. Of course I am grateful that I am gainfully employed at a salary that allows me to live on my own quite comfortably (only in Montreal though, rents here are very, very affordable unlike the rest of the big Canadian cities). I do wish, however that I was heading off each day to a job that inspired me and a job that had much, much less stress.

My moto used to be “Why wait for death, reincarnate now” and I have done many different things until I settled into what I have being doing now for the past 14 years. At this point, with only 7 years left until retirement, I don’t think rocking the boat is the best of ideas. As it is, when I retire I will need to set myself up in some sort of cottage industry – house sitting, dog walking, elder assistance, etc so that I will be able to make ends meet. My goodness, sorry everyone, this is far, far off the subject of 5:2.

My so called maintenance is really off the rails – I think I did a real disfavour to my mindset when I declared myself on maintenance. I am currently back up to 131 lbs, I want to be 128 lbs and dream of being 125 lbs. What is this 5 day mimic fast some of you have been discussing? I think I need to do something a little drastic to reset myself, hoping the 5 day things might be the answer. Does anyone have some helpful links to point me to?

Beldy, thank you for the good wishes. I am actually “Canajen eh” so my celebration day is July 1st, but I will apply your good wishes there :-).

Welcome to the newcomers. This is a great supportive group.

Hi Beldy – I hope to be off at about the same time, being self-employed its a bit of a moveable feast but I have a fair in Edinburgh on 9th September so have to be back for that. Being self employed, cash will dictate what we do and where we go!! Should be fine once we get into the mindset, if you don’t have the book, look back to mid April posts, Ginette posted a link to the planner. Or she might post it again.

Wow! Salma – I’ve been with you from the start and yet didn’t know you had done quite so well – brilliant!!!

As button boots would say – a heck of a lot of slabs of butter – personally I like to think lard, it is so much more of a description to me. Next time you are at the supermarket pull out that much butter or lard and see just how much it actually is!

DJ – start looking at options now, it will come up quicker than you think – so the other week my pensions both start next month – on the other hand I think I get about 50p a week from each, recession has had a huge effect on business so nothing left for pensions, so will have to stretch those 50ps. At least I can carry on working, this WOE will hopefully mean we will have long lives, I’ll be working til I’m in my grave – unless I find that elusive piece of faberge, of course.

Anyway, good luck, love the dog walking – free exercise! We are thinking of house sitting, looking after dogs and cats, haven’t found any that pay but bound to be some, could be cheap holidays at least. Best of luck!

Have a good day all!

The month’s round up (or should that be round down?) I lost 7 lbs in June, to add to the 9lbs in May, which is 16 lbs altogether which is absolutely fantastic. And really, I haven’t struggled although I have been aware and there haven’t been many ‘treats’ of the loaded calorie kind!
    I put on two stone very rapidly last year when I stopped smoking (and I was well overweight already, frankly)which as well as messing with my head, meant that I felt I couldn’t ride my beloved horse (although he’s a strong boy!) So my first target was to lose a stone so at least I can start riding him gently. Rode him for the first time in ages this weekend – he looked a bit surprised as he thought he’d retired, but we had a lovely time.
    I am now able to wear what i used to think of as my ‘enormous’ trousers (!!) never thought that would be a thrill! For the last 6 months before starting this wol I could only wear horrible stretchy ones from TK maxx…I have great pleasure in putting them in the bin today.
    I said to my husband ‘have you noticed I’ve lost weight’? Without even looking up he said ‘No…’ (pause)’…but I didn’t notice the two stone you put on last year either’. Gotta love that man.
    Thank you all for your support – I love reading the comments every day to see how you are all getting on.
    Kate Eve xx

Good Morning!

Taking it easy this morning as I’m VERY sore from a rough boot camp yesterday. I was going to go out for a run this morning, but it is raining and I simply don’t feel like going out! I’ll be beating myself up all day about not going, but that’s the way it is. On another note, the scale is inching down. I decided to weigh daily this week to see the daily trend. If things continue as they are for the rest of the week, I’ll be seeing a new low number by my official weigh in on Friday. YAY!

Kate Eve, congrats on your great loss! I loved reading about you riding your horse and having a lovely time. Loved your husband’s comment on your weight loss/gain too!

Hi to everyone and have a great fasting day!

Hiya all..
    Kate.. what a wonderful husband! and great weight loss. Congratulations. Isn’t it great when you have to trash old large clothes?

This morning, I put on a dress I had not worn for two years and it looked okay. What a thrill. It is true that I am not losing as much as I had hoped, but at least I AM losing. I had spent the last two or three years struggling with weight that simply would not shift.

Lori.. you are a kindred spirit. It is nice to see the weight going down, even if slowly.

I am still going on this 5-hour window method and will keep at it until mid July and then go back to 5:2. I think shifting and changing is good for weight loss, particularly when it is problematic like mine.

Chins up and all that.. will keep a sunny outlook..

Salma

Hi All

Good luck on FBD Beldyboop it works very well, I hope you have a nice loss.

Hi Kate

Well done on the weight loss, I am so pleased that you can ride your horse again. It is really nice when clothes are getting looser.

Hi Lori I hope you get that loss this week as it will be a real boost.

Hi Abby

I hope things are going well for you.

Hi Janey

Yes I am still here from time to time. I hope you find a job you like soon.

Hi Salma

I often do a 6 hour eating window but a I also do 5:2 at the same time. Are you not doing 5:2?

I still sometimes do 4:3 especially if I am going out for a meal or if I feel that I have had too many of the wrong kind of foods, it just keeps me in check…..and think of all the health benefits as well!!

Have a good week all

Ginette

Hi Salma

look at it another way – you ARE losing all the weight you hope to – just a wee bit slower than you would like! On the other hand, you are giving your skin the best chance to shrink – every cloud eh?

Where are we at, 5 months? – so at this rate is will be around 60 lbs this time next year – isn’t that awesome – isn’t it 3 or 4 dress sizes? Do you even need to lose 50 lbs? I think I would be quite happy with that amount – and another cloud is that you get to hang with the rest of us for all that time!

I am such a half cup full gal eh?

Kate – great hubby! Mine is definitely a keeper but just yesterday he complimented me – I say ‘but’ as I asked if he didn’t just like me the same no matter my weight, he said No, I was becoming a little bit gross! Why have you never mentioned this before? I asked – You didn’t ask, he replied!

And they say communication is what keeps a relationship strong – I don’t think so!!!

Beldy did you get the FBD book – definitely much much more than 5:2 with fewer treats – if done properly. I think I did it about 80% correctly and had a great loss, but as its for just six weeks worth trying a hard as possible! Are you starting tomorrow, I’m beginning Saturday, a few celebrations out of the way first, gets me to the 15th August finish. Good luck with it!

Hi gals,

Ginette.. so nice to see you here, and no, I am trying something different for a month. I am doing the 5 hour window in which I eat what I want but nothing else outside it. In fact, I find that I do not want to grossly overeat during that time. I have had a few bites of desserts, but it is really surprising that I am not wolfing food down. I will go back to 5:2 after mid July and then maybe alternate when I find the weight is getting stuck.

Milena, definitely a glass half full gal! You are so right. 50 lbs is 23 Kg. I still need to lose 15 Kgs (having lost 7.5 or 8 so far). I am targeting February for that big celebration. Initially, I was hoping end of December, but now it is not looking likely. Frankly, what’s two more months in the grand scheme of things, especially if I get to amble down the highway enjoying the scenery. I am beginning to wear clothes that had been relegated to the back of the wardrobe, so it is a good incentive to keep going.

Beldyboop and Milena.. good luck on the FBD and do keep us posted. We’ll be cheering from the side lines.

Every other sister in arms in this battle.. stay strong.. stay hopeful and keep smiling/laughing.. it makes life bearable.

Salma

Hi Salma

wise owl!

I had hoped to get to my very moveable target for Christmas – you may remember it was New Year’s Eve that was my epiphany – ok the size 22 top was too big but…..

Actually, I tried it on the other day, with the trousers that we always too big but became a perfect fit at New Year – I can do one of those weight loss pics with the trousers and I can now wear the top as a dress!

But – wouldn’t it be nice to have a lovely gourmet Christmas – we are still the foodies of this thread after all – before we get in harness for the final push. We don’t have to go mad – might do chateaubriand and bernaise sauce instead of beef wellington with homemade puff pastry – 600g of butter just in the pastry – to think I ate a third of this admittedly wonderful meal – all it take is small changes! Or perhaps big ones? roflmao!!!!

So a wee sojourn in the layby before we go screeching off – and hopefully our power to weight ratio is be so good (having made the chassis as light as possible) the last few miles will be easy – or we might just continue to enjoy the scenery – classics just need to look good!!!

Hi Everyone!

Feeling hot, hot, hot! Am wondering what Zumba will be like tonight, it was quite “tropical” on Monday 🙂 Had a shock as FD yesterday, and according to scales have gained 9 Ibs! this must be water retention, due to the hot weather, as yest drank loads and took re-hydration solution, so I didn’t have a headache! finally a clear FD.

Salma, congrats! the clothes are the best feeling, when they start to fit! and you feel good. Once I read about the Japanese theory Kaisan, which deals with little changes having the strongest impact on our lives, and it really made me aware that I am so impatient, and want to change right now! I’ve had a slow weight loss, and with the aforementioned “9 Ibs gate” was panicking, but know I don’t need to…My clothes are a bit in the in-between stage, can’t afford new ones yet, and the old ones look a bit baggy, life if hard, lol!

Milena, am trialling FBD this week, as like you, have some social events. I also have a friend coming to stay all next week, which will be test not to open some Prosecco, and a golden wedding anniversary, end of July. I take you’re point about the book, will try to have a look. Will officially start Friday 3. My target is 9 stone, so have approx 17 Ibs left to lose…

Ginette thanks for the support, hoping the FDB will give me a shove, and get me towards my goal, although officially I’ve said October for final target. How’s it going with you?

Kate, thumbs up for loss! Lori, glad it’s inching down, hi Janeyw and DJ

Happy fasting! and positive vibes to everyone

Viewing 50 posts - 1,651 through 1,700 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.