Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 5,077 total)

• TThanks Milena and Simcoeluv. I know this is not the end of the world and normally, I am quite laid back about this, but what was annoying me is that it is not entirely by my choice that I had overeatedn. It is okay when you decide to throw caution to the winds and enjoy yourself (eg. Simcoeluv’s a beer festival); it is when you are tired and would just prefer to go to bed than sit through a 3 hour meal and work conversation (ie very little enjoyment) that it seems a waste of time and effort.

Ah well, in the grand scheme of things, this is just a blip (and I was doing so wel!). As you guys say, it is onwards and hopefully downwards once the challenging time is over. I focus on the fact that I am quite a bit lighter than I used to be in Febrruary.. so not all disaster. At least tonight it will be a fish restaurant so I can make better choices. I think that I will take your advice Simcoeluv and not eat during the day today also, but might have a small thing just before dinner to try to curb the hunger eating at the restaurant.

Have a good day everyone.
    Salma

I feel your pain Salma – although it sounds like you are getting your head round it. A mantra I find useful in many life situations is ‘perfection is the enemy’ – it results in an all or nothing approach which usually ends up being, well, nothing…
    It is what we choose to do on an hourly, daily, weekly or monthly basis which determines the shape of our lives (and our butts)and as you so wisely point out – the difference between February and now… wow! You have got so many strategies to keep going – fasting periods, a wee something before supper to stop over-eating – way to go Salma! I am learning such a lot from you and the other trail blazers xx

Hi Salma, You probably do this already, but when I worked and had lunch and dinner meetings, if I knew where we were going I used to look up the menu on line beforehand and plan exactly what I was going to have in advance, because by the evening you have nooooo willpower left.
    Another trick I developed over the years, I say I don’t like something, now all but my nearest and dearest, think I don’t like ice cream, anything creamy, fresh orange juice,ect even v good friends say “oh you don’t like that do you” and miss me out. It saves the inner dilemma/ explaining your on a diet for the millionth time/and your precious will power, every little helps. I was still fat though – until recently. 🙂
    Goodluck x

Hi all,

Been reminiscing with my other half,
    question..

Do you remember When we were kids, our mum would give us a pound and we could go shopping and get, milk, bread, potatoes, cheese, ham, pop and sweeties and crisps?

Answer

Yes but you can’t do this anymore because there are too many camera’s . HeheHe

Audrey

Hi everyone, I am down 1 again this week, so things slowing a little but still moving in right direction. Aiming for 2 this coming week. I certainly feel my clothes are looser now, and the stodgy muffin top is turning into a cuter fairy cake. I’ve been there at conferences Salma, and the spreads of food are hard to resist even though they are not at all fabulous — just easy. Mid June I head south for a bit, and staying with a wonderful long time friend for a few days [heavier than me, with a great love of good food and large portion sizes, and hates the word diet….], so hoping to negotiate that tactfully — will try that strategy Goosey, but she does know what I like rather too well, so may work on small portions instead!!

Hello everyone.
    Just a quick check in to say thank you for the commiserations and words of support. They mean a lot.
    Unfortunately, another unsuccessful attempt at restraint today. Maybe tomorrow?
    Definitely fasting Thursday. I never thought I would actively look forward to an FD

Good night, and – really – thank you all.
    Salma

Hi salma

Sorry you have had another bad day today, put it behind you focus on tomorrow and enjoy your fast day on Thursday.

We all have these times, just remember you are not alone in this when you feel like your stuck in a corner with no way out look around because we are all there with you cheering you on!

Keep on keeping on

Audrey

Well done Phoebe

Salma, head down, chin tucked in and get the fast day in hand.

I’ve just managed 10000 steps yea!!!!!!

Did 9000 yesterday, can’t believe it.

Went shopping but just to Sainsbury and Aldi, though had an enjoyable twenty minutes going around the home wares and clothing in Sainsbury, and a walk around the car park. Went for a latte at teatime, then a walk before only meal of the day. No tea with milk and sugar at all! For two days. And two fasts days so far.

Also fannied around at the gym, would have gone on the running machine but wanted to do my steps without using a machine. Lots of sweaty folk, ugh! Obviously not me, didn’t do enough to sweat.

Dead easy!!!

I feel like it’s the first day at school – very nice but do I HAVE to go again tomorrow.

Evening/Morning All

Milena – how did the 1st day at the gym go? As far as the exercise debate goes, I don’t have the knowledge to say what the outcome is regarding exercise and weight loss, but as a former nurse I can certainly speak to all the health benefits that result from exercising regularly. Also, research shows that exercising regularly lifts our mood, for anyone who suffers from low mood or even depression.

Salma – what Milena said! My story over the last 4 – 6 weeks or so, was that I knew that I was heading into a time frame that would totally blow this WOL to heck. It did, the scales didn’t really budge, but I had gained enough body savy and mind savy that my “reckless eating” didn’t completely do me in. In the bad old days I would have gained significant weight during the rehearsal and run of a show – this time I blipped up a couple of lbs but nothing significant. Now the scale is going in the right direction again. Don’t beat yourself up, your mind/body now has the savy to repair whatever damage you do over the next bit of time.

I also started back at the gym. I am really lucky in that the Concordia University Gym is right next door to my office. The fees are reasonable, but the massive advantage is that the personal training is very inexpensive – $25 Canadian an hour. The trainers are all working towards degrees in physio, OT, exercise rehab, sports instructor, etc. It is marvelous. My trainer, Seb has made every muscle in my body make it’s presence known in the past few weeks!

Hi Milena, our posts obviously crossed. Glad to here you are ready to go back tomorrow.

Milena said ‘head down, chin tucked in and get the fast day in hand’ – I know it was for Salma, but I’m joining in if I may. Doing 4/3 this week but I must admit I was a little ‘shall I shan’t I’ today, but hell yeah! Thanks for the prod!

Just popping in to check on you all. Getting fast days in hand, hitting the gym, personal trainers…..WOW! You all are on fire!

I’m doing the eating window form of fasting at the moment, and doing pretty well with it. I’m not sure the scale will agree, but to my eyes, I look slimmer! Getting lots of exercise in this week too, so it’s all good.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Hi Lori

one of the girls on the Aussie Determination thread put up a link – sure it was Amazon – this morning – well worth a read – I’m doing 24 hr fasts this week, just the one meal.

Very scientific reason for this – read somewhere eons ago that Cliff Richard has always eaten just one meal a day – so moved my idea of 19-5 to one meal and a glass of milk before bed.

Only on third day, but the link goes into 24 hours fasts and other fasting windows, most interesting.

Kate – I’m right behind you, keep strong – I find counting down the minutes until you can works – and I counted the minutes for 42 days!

A whole secret me of stubborn determination – oh why didn’t I ‘find myself’ when I was 36 and a pound overweight or at 40 and a couple of stone ?????????????????

Hi all,

I had a bad day yesterday, some friends came round so we ended up with a pub lunch and fresh cream cakes!

I have spent the night feeling sick, my body obviously doesn’t like fat and sugar anymore and I feel absolutely awful this morning.

Not only this but I have put 1 lb on as well!

No way am I losing it now before Saturday the wedding!

Hope you are all having more success than me.

Fast day today, going to go for liquid only because I can’t face the thought of food.

Have a good day everyone

Audrey

hello all,

Hi Audrey.. you and me both! A FD for me today too trying to contain some of the damage of overeating on 3 consecutive nights.

Milena, the food.. a whole table-full of goodies. Next time, I will take a picture.. too many dishes to describe, all of them delicious. Too much temptation for this poor human soul.

I travel tomorrow for 4 days so again.. temptations galore, but I have every good intention of being good for a whole month after I come back. I will post weight on the 16th and vow to be ultra careful for 30 days.. No one can ask more of me.. for those who know me, they would know that this is extreme for me 🙂

Good luck Audrey and everyone fasting today.

Salma

Hi all, hope your FDs are going well, I’ve just done another one today, starting to get the hang of them now I think.
    Milena, how are you getting on with your Fitbit? I’ve not done as many steps yesterday or today so not reached my 10000 so am a bit disappointed, hope your managing to get yours.

Debbie x

Hi Salma

sounds lovely, you have a plan, remember if you achieve 80% of ehst you set out to do, you eill do brilliantly.

Hi Debbie, sounds like a good day!!! Goodish start actually. 9000 monday, 10000 tuesday, .Yesterday was interesting, ended up doing nearly 4000 late in the evening, but had to walk the streets to do it. Never realised how boring our streets are! Tried to borrow a dog, but he wasn’t in. Ive got 2300 still to do today, OH has settled down to watch Rizzoli & Isles, god those ladies are lovely, but thin. Good incentive to go walking afterwards though, though Ive got 30 years on them dunno why!

Did another fast day, but 600 cals, which is fine as have done them all week. Guessed the calories in my soup, about 2/5ths of a pot of pea and mint, over 200 calories. Cant work out how!!!

Have a good Friday

Hello everyone and good morning.

I took out my Fitbit this morning.. all that talk of walking got me thinking of getting a bit fit 🙂
    I am so impressed with Milena. When I was actually using my Fitbit, it ow seems like ions ago, I only managed 10,000 around 4 or 5 days a week, so this is great. You got me wanting to do this again.

Milena and DJ, How is the gym thing going? Are you enjoying it?
    Lori, nice to see you back.. it has gone a bit quiet around here recently.
    Kate, well done on doing 4/3.. I know exactly what the “shall I/ shan’t I” feeling is.. this happens to me particularly when I contemplate exercise, but when you actually DO it, it feels great.
    Phoebe.. do report on your visit with your friend. I have a similar case that I am trying to negotiate tactfully..It would be interesting to learn how yours went.

Well, I finished a FD yesterday relatively well. I was pretty hungry, which is not usually the case for me on an FD, but because of having had a big meal the night before, it was more difficult. I ended the day by having poached salmon and grilled vegetables and spinach with only one teaspoonfull of his bread pudding. So, I may have gone over the 500 cal, but feel a lot lighter than the past few days. Obviously, I am not going to weigh myself as I do not want to get thoroughly depressed. I am thinking, I won’t weigh myself at all this week and leave it till next weekend to do so after I have had some time to repair the damage.

I am traveling this morning and will be spending 4 days with my sister which will mean even more food. Ah well, I will try to walk it off (hence the fitbit being taken out and dusted off). Maybe this will get me into walking again.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Salma

Morning all,

1 day to go to the wedding, we are off up the m6 later and are spending the night in a hotel.

I am going hairdresser later today and have had nails manicured already, it’s all very exciting!

We are going away straight after for a couple of weeks so will be a while before I am back !

Behave yourselves and keep on losing.

Audrey

Audrey, have a great weekend – hope you dodge the forecast thunderstorms for the sake of your new hairdo!

Third FD this week today – not finding it too hard although after mt spectacular early losses I seem to be chasing the same 1/2lb around this week! Nil desperandum – as Phoebe delicately puts it, some ‘transit problems’ so I’m sure there’s a pound or two ‘stuck’! Yechhh.

Have a good day all

Hi all,

Just to say hope everyone has a good weekend. I was foolish this week, and promised myself too much, and ended up with rubbish FD’s. I will just enjoy the next few days, and start FD when I go back to work on Tues, should have just had a week off anyway 🙁 can’t do FD’s if I’m not busy at work…cie la vie.

On the other hand have had a lot of fun with my Fitbit, and have really clocked up the steps, this isn’t a surprise as Zumba is my job, (the calories for giving the class were not spectacularly high though, 300 cals, it just shows you) but overall am amazed how many steps you can burn! very motivating, but still need to work on the food side…I wonder how many steps I’ll burn at yoga?

What I’ve learned from this forum is that weight loss is individual, as are a whole lot of other factors that can be a barrier to success. For example a 3500 calorie deficit is meant to equal 1 Ib loss in weight but I’ve just checked my Fitbit, and have already notched up 3,450 deficit in calories, but that for me may not mean loss. Supposedly due to the types of calories I’ve opted for? e.g the bad ones that go straight to the fat cells… 🙁

Salma, have a good time, let us know how it goes for you. I made the hazlenut spread, absolute heaven, it’s in the fridge, hope it stays there, too rich to eat much off, but a nice treat..

Bye for now

Stopping by to wish you all a good weekend!

I’m off for my sister’s in an hour or so. I’m sure the 1 lb+ that I lost this week will return after 2 days of eating out. Oh well…..it’ll be worth it. Back on my fasting plan on Monday.

Talk to you next week!

Hello fastind (and non-fasting) mates,

Beldyboop, I am so glad you enjoyed my concoction. It is rich, but a teaspoon suffices, and it IS good for you.

Audrey, enjoy the wedding and vacation and also Lori.. We’ll all check in next week.

Have a great weekend.
    Salma

Hi everyone

Well, after 4 days of FD or a fraction off, had a latte and toasted teacake at M&S. Why are Costa so good at coffee wherever you go, yet M&S are a total lottery. Even the guys’ hot chocolate was like dishwater. And the teacake has sat in my tum like a block of cement. Two bowls of cereal and a very small portion of chicken and veg stirfry later, still waiting for things to return to normal.

Drumroll for weight loss since Monday – 1lb by Tuesday night, then 2 more fasts and today – and still managing my steps and exercise. – zilch, nada, nowt. In fact tonight my jesns were tight.

Good job Im a few months in – it will come off for sure, but in its own time, probably by the end of next week.

Really hope so, cos Ive another shopping trip to Denmark. Flea markets this time. Hopefully not a 5lb gain this time, only away for 2 nights. Though buffet breakfast will be interesting, not a meal I usually have.

Hav

Hi All

Audrey have a wonderful weekend! Salma good work on your fast day and it will help you brace your yourself for the next four days. Milena I am sure you are right and the lbs you worked to lose now will show disappear from the scales soon. With this WOL I think we all get to a point of needing to put our mindset into reboot mode every now and then or, as me old sargeant used to say, If first you dont fricasse; fry, fry, fry a hen.

Im loving the Gym Salma. Seb is a hard task master. Working with him is a 10 week indulgence so I am trying to enjoy every one of his torture techniques while they last. Seriously though, after the 10 weeks I should be able to do an upper and lower body workout that has good form (not doing anything to injure myself) and effective, which makes me happy – there is a bit too much wobbly skin hanging around my arms and belly. I know that I have to accept gravity and all its fun gifts, but I am determined to keep the jiggles as non-jiggly as possible.

Im also loving my fitbit, and find myself doing furtive runs up and down the stairs of our building to build up the steps. Going out dancing tonight, hope the fitbit counts that as well 🙂 . Have a wonderful weekend all.

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to everyone new to this forum since my last post (way too long ago). Sorry for the delayed absence. Spring/summer recording season has begun in earnest, and I have been recording day and night at weekend festivals on three of the last four Saturdays/weekends. Add the new full-time job into the mix and there was hardly any time for anything. I think I mentioned this was the first full-time job I’ve had since 2002. Well wouldn’t you know it, the company just reorganised last week and eliminated my position, so I’ve been jobless since this past Wednesday (though had an interview for another full time position yesterday). At any rate, if nothing else I should have a bit more time to post, though looking for work is more work than working if you know what I mean. It has also taken me days to catch up on all the posts I’ve missed, and I wanted to do that before posting again.

DJ757575, I completely relate to your comments about the jiggles. Even below my goal weight there are still plenty of those! Before I lost my job I made an appointment at a local medical office to see if I would be a good candidate for either Vanquish or Exilis to have the fat melted off and excreted naturally–though I have heard reports from a handful of others who weigh what my goal weight is who have tried it with no results. Oh well. That will have to wait until my next job now.

I’m very glad to hear that all the misunderstandings on this forum have been put right. Just a word about the fasting technique I used when I was trimming down (as a reminder, I’m on maintenance now). The naturopath I’ve been working with on 5:2 suggested liquids only fast days, so that was what I did–though I added psyllium thrice daily to that (mixed with water, so mainly liquid). I pretty much had one serving of psyllium, one bottle of water (with my energy and fruit-flavoured stevia powders added), and my supplements thrice daily. If you really want to see the weight drop off, do that along with HIT/HIIT exercise. It worked for me and I was almost always 1-2 pounds lighter the next day. Of course, I only did that while in trimming down mode, but I offer it up in case it is helpful.

Another thing I did that I still do is to spend a bit of time putting meal plans for an entire day on cards like this http://franklinplanner.fcorgp.com/store/category/prod1570014/US-Gov-Forms/Progressive-Task-List-?skuId=32025 that can then be stored in my diary/planner (yes, I have a hard copy, ring-bound diary/planner). An alternative would be to get a pouch pagefinder and cards that can go in it to be switched from day to day, as below.

http://ca-franklinplanner.fcorgp.com/ca/buy/Pagefinders/Ring-bound-Pouch-Pagefinder/prod561/

http://franklinplanner.fcorgp.com/store/category/prod448/AU-Accessories/Weekly-Compass-Cards?skuId=31575

Yes, I can spend hours filling out cards, but then once that’s done I can just grab a plan and stick to it daily (or add to it, as I’m experimenting with now). This is just a thought, but it has helped me immensely because I’m always on the go and often don’t have time to think about what to eat each day. In this way, I sort of do that thinking ahead of time, so when I don’t have time, I just grab one and use if for the day. Again, this is only a thought, and I hope it is helpful for some of you at least.

I also fasted three days in a week, however, I mostly thought of that as a sort of secret weapon–only to be used once I passed the threshold where the weight refused to come off–to get things moving again. That worked well, and I think I had three fast days a week every other week for the last month to month and a half before reaching my goal weight. It was one of the tools that carried me to (well a bit beyond) the finish line. I’m not sure if that would have worked as well on a long-term basis, and the naturopath was definitely against it. Just a thought.

The naturopath also had me exercising six days weekly. While there were a handful of weeks when it was only five times, for the most part I stuck to six times weekly (strength training and aerials thrice weekly, and HIT/HIIT thrice weekly). That combined with the further restrictions mentioned here https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/first-dayweek/ and 6 Tbsps (American) of olive oil daily did the trick. I was able to trim down slightly more than 30 pounds/13.6 kilos/2.14 stones in about three and a half months.

Please don’t take this the wrong way. The idea isn’t to gloat (nothing could be further from my mind), but I only mention this in case some of it might be useful to some of you. Even if you only find the psyllium (which, BTW could have just as well have been chia, fenugreek, ground flax, or hemp protein powder substituted instead) useful (read: moving goods in transit along), that’s fine. Feel free to take what you need (if any of this even works for you at all) and leave the rest.

At any rate, on the weight front, when I started maintenance I was certain I’d still need to fast two days to maintain, though decided to try the naturopath’s suggested maintenance plan (using TDEEs for different activity levels for his suggested goal weight for me from Mayo Clinic calculator, with one fast and two refeed days per week). At the naturopath’s suggestion I’ve been using the Somewhat Active number for days with no exercise, the Active number for days with exercise, and the Very Active number for two refeed days per week (though at the new trainer’s suggestion refeeds are on non-exercise days the day before exercise days). I’ve been mostly sticking to the plan above pretty diligently (except for the four-day holiday weekend last month followed by the professional meeting with cake, truffles, and other sweets–but I digress ;-). I have also lowered exercise to four times weekly (strength training and aerials thrice weekly, and HIT/HIIT once weekly).

As some of you might recall, I reached half a pound below my target on 24 April (for the first time since starting 5:2 on 10 January), then attended a series of events involving food for the next week and a half or so (and went up again–though at most three pounds/1.36 kilos/.21 stones above goal–usually less). However, since 9 May I’ve been at or above goal for five days–in over a month–the rest of the time I’ve been below goal–and all this while pretty strictly sticking to the protocol above at least since 9 May (though since I’ve been under goal so much I’ve been experimenting with slightly higher TDEE than recommended–by 50-100 calories). BTW, for the record, my goal weight is 110 pounds/49.9 kilos/7.86 stones. This morning after weighing four times I was under by 1.5 pounds/.68 kilos/.11 stones. Since today is a refeed day for me, I might splurge and have another 600 calories above the designated TDEE for today. I have an appointment with the new trainer tomorrow and he will be taking measurements. If I could be closer to goal weight by then it might be more indicative.

I just had another series of blood tests run yesterday (to compare with the ones taken last November–pre 5:2). I expect good results and will be seeing the naturopath on Friday to discuss them–before my company-paid medical insurance expires at the end of this month :-(. I really enjoy these refeed days, and you might consider trying one a week while trimming down, increasing to two WHEN you are on maintenance (you will all get there in the end–I have every confidence).

Happy weekend all,

Jayney

Hi all
    Thanks for all that info Jayney. Find it hard to imagine i’ll ever be at maintenance, but still! Well done for that lb off Milena – they all count and it’s going in the right direction.
    DJ I have sent off for a pedometer – don’t need anything fancy which links to a smartphone as I don’t have one. Think it will encourage me to exercise more.
    Glad to report almost 2lb off! (I’m calling it 2lb anyway). One more pound (next week maybe? which will be a whole stone and take me into the 14s – now there’s a number I haven’t seen for a little while!
    Enjoy your Sunday everyone
    Kate Eve xx

Morning everyone. It’s a drizzly Sunday morning here after a soggy Saturday. The only saving grace was that early evening on Friday was hot and sunny so I was able to go out on the bike for a couple of hours of fun (the variety with an engine so no exercise benefit but…. 🙂 ). Of course, this being England, we then had a MASSIVE thunderstorm but I was home by then!
    I fasted Monday and Thursday, Thursday being much easier as I hadn’t binged on carbs the day before. I am finding that although the idea of something rich and sweet appeals in theory every now and again, I end up feeling a bit sick afterwards. Much less inclined to bother now. Having said that, put 50g of Lindt 85% cocoa solids chocolate in front of me and it won’t be there for long! On a NFD of course 0:-) .
    Janey: thank you for the helpful tips, particularly on fibre. I may try one of those – the HRT tends to give me problems in that area at the best of times! I also find that a probiotic drink every morning helps to keep things moving. Yakult light is 27 cals so can even be had on a FD.
    FD tomorrow as well as official weigh in. Hopeful for a 1lb loss.
    Congratulations to all the losers, hope to be joining your ranks tomorrow. And for everyone else, hang in there, it’ll happen.

Onward and downward.

Hi Firehorse, I meant to mention that when I was in trimming down mode I also had a probiotic daily (though that has dropped to thrice weekly on maintenance). Hopefully this will help.

Jayney

Good Morning!

Jayne! What a roller coaster ride for you with your job! Hope the interview you had results in a position for you.

I had a fun weekend with my sister, but won’t go near the scale until Friday. OY! We ate and drank for 3 days. I’m hoping this week’s fasting will take care of any gain and possibly give me a bit more loss? Fingers crossed!

Boot camp this morning in the heat and humidity. Ugh! The studio has some air conditioner units and fans, but it still gets very warm in there with 30+ sweating bodies. Running outside tomorrow morning…looking forward to it.

I’m off work on Friday to play in a golf tournament and then I’m in a 2 day tournament Saturday & Sunday. I should have my fill of golf by the end of all that! Hoping for nice weather, as golf in the rain is no fun at all.

Have a great week everyone!

Hello everyone!

So, I am back home. I do not dare get on the scales (I know exactly how you feel Lori). Methinks the damage is great.
    I am NOT looking forward to having to work hard to get rid of the indulgences that I have allowed myself in the past two weeks.

Ah well, AS Scarlet O’Hara’s famously said: “Tomorrow is another day”!!

We have not heard from Ginette for a long time.. Ginette.. if you are reading this, please do come back.. You were great support to many of us here.

Salma

Hi Salma

Yes I do read this thread from time to time. I have just needed to have some time off. You just need to get back to fast days and then you will soon be back to losing. After doing the fast days for a while our bodies seem resilient to small blips and can take them in their stride.

Life isn’t without its complications and I have a few at the moment. So I’m opting for a quiet life. Contact me on Facebook then I can keep in touch via messenger.

Hi Janey

Good luck on finding a new job. I am glad weight management is still going well.

Lori

You will soon lose that gain.

Hi Firehorse

I hope you get your 1lb loss.

Hi DJ, Kate, Beldyboop and all others.

Keep up the good work.

I shall pop my head in once in a while to say hello. Until them I am still sticking to plan. 3lb a week ago, only half lost this week but really swollen ankles so I’m sure it is due to water retention. I know it will happen, 5:2 works if you let it and stick to plan. I do 5:2 but have a very low calorie day on Friday about 700 – 800 calories. Other days are normal but with some treats.

See you all soon.

Ginette

Hi Salma

it won’t be a bad as you think, let the ‘goods in transit’ sort themselves though before you hit the scales.

I managed to eat a piece of lemon drizzle cake and latte for my fast day breakfast – not recommended but even though I reckoned I was over my 375 fast day calories by 11 am, I managed to stick the halo back on and just had veggies for the rest of the day.

Shows you can sleepwalk to calories without breaking your stride – I ordered it and didn’t even think about it until it was half eaten. Not something I even eat on non-fast days, don’t think I’ve had half a dozen pieces of cakes or biscuits this year.

Just salmon and veggies today – dunno how I’m going to manage in Denmark so I’m fasting Wednesday and Thursday as well – just hope I see something like 60,000 steps a day over the three days – wishful thinking – wish I was a golfer Lori – must be easy to rack up the steps doing that!

hi everybody!

mmm….lemon drizzle that sounds nice Milena.

Have survived (nearly over) a FD, but have had a pounding headache, as first day back at work, and loads of stress factors. I woke up with the headache, a bit gutting as may have to have an early night to get rid of it, and wanted to go for a stroll, have drunk loads of water, and painkillers, it’s a “here to stay” one. Have lost 1 Ib though 🙂 not today but yesterday when I weighed in, so 9Ibs! and had the first person comment on it, about time too.

Love you and leave you.

Happy Fasting

Hi All,

Thanks for the support (especially Lori and Ginette if you’re still around). The good news on the job front is that there are definitely more jobs in my field open–and many of them are full time as well. I’m only applying for contracts if the recruiter contacts me directly (which has also been happening). However, I went a little credit card mad because silly me thought I had a job. I have no regrets and the company paid me a small severance, so between my last actual check, the severance, and the dole I should be able to pay it off later this month, but still have a lot of other debt besides. Oh well. It’s very odd to be looking forward to retirement while looking for work. Strange days eh?

On the weight front, although I realize that many of you might be a ways away from your goals, it might interest you to know that this past weekend I decided to experiment on Saturday (a fast day when I was reducing, a refeed day now). Because I was about 1.5 pounds/.68 kilos/.1 stone under my goal that morning, I decided to have 600 calories over my normal TDEE for that day. On hindsight, had I recalled I was having measurements done by the trainer the next day I might have waited. However, because the scales showed a 2 pound difference when weighing myself a few times in a row the next morning (i.e. two pounds’ difference between immediately stepping on and off), I reduced calories on Sunday as I did when I was trimming down (I still have the daily meal plan cards I made using the old TDEE).

That got me down more than half a pound by yesterday (though still more than half a pound above goal). Yesterday I did a water/psyllium/supplements (and gum and breath mints) only fast (under 200 calories). Today I’m a pound under goal. I only bring this up to say that in the past going over like that would have done me in, and it would have taken me months to get back to where I’d started. However, as you all know, 5:2 really does the trick so one can indulge and not have hell to pay for months on end. I offer this as something to look forward to when you at last reach your goals (and I’m confident that if you all stick to the plan and keep in good health, you will ALL reach your goals). I hope this helps.

Thanks for your support one and all,

Jayney

Hi Janeyw.. so nice to see you here again and good luck with the job search.

Lori.. I know exactly how you feel.. I am developing a headache after my fast day today.
    Milena, your cake sounds wonderful. I resisted a very yummy looking chocolate mousse cake today and feel like an headachy angel. I hope I feel better tomorrow. i am determined that by the end of this month, I will have budged to a lower weight than so far. It will mean a lot of self discipline and deprivation.. two things I am not renowned for.

My Fitbit is out of the drawer and is being put to intermittent use. I was clocking up around 13,000 steps this past weekend, amply compensated for by the measly 2500 of today! The law of averages prevails, eh?

Have a good evening everyone.

Good morning everyone.

I thought we deserved to wake up to some good news:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/two-chocolate-bars-a-day-reduce-risk-of-heart-disease-and-stroke-10322435.html

So.. medicinal chocolate. Dieters, take heed 🙂

Salma

Thanks for your support Salma,

Being a fan of chocolate, any excuse to indulge (within reason) works for me! Chocolate is also a great source of Omega 3 I believe. Enjoy your feast or fast one and all!

Jayney

Good Morning All!

Please forgive me not doing personals. I read several threads and get confused as to who said what!

Just another 19:5 day for me. I’m so used to not eating until afternoon that I seldom think about it any more. I don’t know why weekends are so hard? I think because I’m out of my work-a-day routine. I don’t try to go without eating in the morning when I’m going to be walking the golf course for 4+ hours. Those days are kind of “eat what I feel like” days.

On the chocolate discussion, I find that if I eat 1 piece of a dark chocolate that is is plenty for me and I don’t go back for more. If I eat milk chocolate, I am back several times for just one more chunk! I bought Dove dark minis and am satisfied with just one. I just have to stay away from the husband’s ever present milk chocolate bars. 🙁

Off for a pedicure and a lovely glass of wine after work. Husband has a meeting, so I have an evening to myself once I get home. Ahh…… sometimes I just need some alone time, you know?

Have good days!

Hi Jayney, our star is still shining brightly I see, grrst to hear, sorry about the job issues, but it will work out better than before.

Omega three in chocolate – really? Better than salmon!

Ive decided to average my steps too, Salma, going for 400,000 a month between now and the end of the year, sounds almost angelic, but quite easy – I just need to shop and dance, how hard can that be??? Shopped today, 12,000 steps, easy – did 4000 on Sunday! Just read ‘Eat your Frog’ now planning how to get to target – under ‘long term goals’! Lol!

Sounds like 19:5 is ok for you Lori, I’m finding it ok. Most of the time!

Well done, Beldy! Onwards and downwards……..

Hello ladies and good evening.

It seems to have gone awfully quite round here. Please come back.. I feel my will power waning when I do not read any posts. I hover on the brink of giving up when I feel that no one is ‘watching’! pure self delusion, I know, but we have to play tricks on our minds to stay on the straight and narrow.

I fasted today for the whole day, nothing at all since the morning, then was invited to dinner which blew everything out of the water. Repeat performance tomorrow. It’s funny, whereas I used to look forward to dinner out before, now I dread them. I make all kinds of promises to myself about quantities and variety, but fall far short of the mark, I am afraid.

Milena, 400,000 steps! That is one scary number! Are you finding that the Fitbit is egging you on? I used it last week and was happy to see that I did some serious walking,, but not every day. A lot of it was shopping, so I did not think it counted 🙂

Lori, I love manicures.. here they are a very affordable luxury and they FORCE me to sit still for the duration. It is good to sit still.. even better to still the mind, which I find infinitely more difficult. You are so right about fast days feeling much longer on weekends. I guess a 9 to 5 has a silver lining after all.

Janeyw.. how wonderful to stay on track. Girl, I get tired just reading all you do!

Beldyboop, I know exactly what a horrible headache feels like. I suffer with migraines, and have had one for the past day and a half. Having to go to work and semi-function on top of it is no joke. I am willing myself to go to sleep just to dull the pain. No medication takes it away, they just dull it a bit. A real and figurative pain.

Moan over.. I hope you all have a great evening.

Hi Milena and Salma,

I appreciate your support, and yes, my understanding is that CHOCOLATE is actually good for us. It’s all the sugar, etc. that so often goes along with it that isn’t. I appreciate your confidence in my job-finding abilities and am sure you’re right that the next job will be better than the last–that’s what I’m hoping anyway–though I keep saying to myself, “Only 11 more years of this nonsense before I can retire!” However, I think I have to have a job before I can retire from it. Oh well. There I go putting the cart before the horse again.

Have a great time one and all!

Jayney

Hi Jayney, just 11 more years? Great.

I’ve had jobs since I was eight, that’s fifty years, and can’t see giving up within the next twenty years.

Though I’m a Saturday’s child – works hard for a living!!!! Anyway there’s a bigger chance of dying if I retire, statistically a lot of retired folk die – though might have something to do with the fact that most retirees are quite old – anyway this fasting lark will keep us going to 120, so not even halfway there yet.

Salma, in my world shopping counts, I’ve come up with this figure cos I have this weekend shopping, a holiday and Christmas shopping in the mix, otherwise no chance of doing that many steps!

I’ve got your back Salma, and you know how good I am at this 5:2, mainly cos I’m perfect. As I said to myself when I bought the mini magnums. Thought I’d cracked it, little magnums. A wee taste instead of a big lolly. Perfect for perfect me.

Except I couldn’t take my mind off them lurking in the freezer. One just didn’t cut it. So, being perfect I chucked out the packet.

Well, after I ate 4 yesterday and the remaining 6 today – went slightly over my fast day calories too. A rather large slightly. Maybe not so perfect, but I did get rid of them.

Well actually not at all perfect then, but we can still push each other to the finish line. Hope it’s before Jayney retires though.

Well Milena, that’s a great goal ROFL! I should have mentioned that the PLAN is to retire in 11 years. However, we all know about plans, don’t we? 😉

In other news I discovered that, at least Stateside here, Weight Watchers makes a snack sized fudge ice cream bar–45 calories. I bought a box of a dozen, but the store where I normally shop doesn’t stock them now. Fortunately a store closer to me does. I foresee a nice summer with these things, though they do have some preservatives and the like (since I hardly eat much processed food, this is a splurge for me). I only bring these up in case they are available where you are. These are small like mini magnums, though the calorie count is better reflected. According to the package, there are two bars to a serving, but so far I’ve been able to manage one. Just a thought.

https://www.hy-vee.com/grocery/PD8012899/Weight-Watchers-Snack-Size-Chocolate-Fudge-Ice-Cream-Bar-12-ct-Box

I don’t know if you’ll be able to purchase these online because they’re frozen. The link is for reference only so you know what product I’m talking about. What do you think of this?

Jayney

Good Morning!

Enjoying my morning as I don’t have to go to work today! I’m playing in a golf tournament later, so having a leisurely morning.

Quite happy this morning as the scale showed me a lower number than I’ve seen in months! In 2 weeks of doing Fast 5, I’m down 3 lbs. This is amazing to me. I don’t do Fast 5 over the weekend, and still am showing a nice loss. I sure hope it keeps working so well! I would have been very disappointed had the scale not been kind as I’m feeling “thin” today. 🙂

Golf for the next 3 days. Sunday is calling for rain which will be miserable. Oh well..it’s a tournament, so you play rain or shine!

Have a lovely weekend!

Hi Everybody!

yum! all this talk of mini-magnums, sound divine, I will have a look for the WW ones as well Jayney.

Completed another FD today, was in daze, as did not sleep AT ALL the night before, so went to work, delivered 6 lessons, (deffo below par) and came home at 5, and fell asleep for 3hrs, I could have axed any food, but my greedier self persuaded to me to eat my mingy 500 cals. All in all a weird but successful week, dominated by hormones…

Lori good luck with the golf.
    Salma hope you’re headache went, are you using your fitbit again?
    Milena where did you get the mini-magnums?

Really looking forward to a chillaxing w/e, will commence FD on Tue/Thurs next week as Fri rubbish for FD. Lots of good vibes to all

Hey Beldyboop,

You’re a trainer? I design training materials (instructional designer). Let me know what you think of the WW snack mentioned if they sell it there.

Jayney

Hi All

One to make you smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjB5DiJTuAo

Ginette

Hi Ginette.. very funny video.. reminds me of this little Miss Piggy. When I have something yummy in the house like ice cream or chocolate.. it beckons and becomes all I can think about.

Hi Beldyboop.. I have spent all this week in the office so my fitbit has been silently complaining. Not much going on there, I am afraid. My headache is finally gone. It decided to up and leave late this afternoon, thank the heavens for small mercies!

I had another dinner out tonight. The conversation was excellent as was the food.. but too much of both. I am now exhausted and bloated. Again, I did not eat all day, but rather splurged on the dinner. I really hope I get back into shape with this 5:2. Now it seems like it is 7:0 !!

Have a good evening.
    Salma

Oh no beldyboop did I give the wrong impression, stay away from the mini magnums, think Christopher Lee.Or was it Peter Cushing? I forget, but the one with the cross. Must have been Peter Cushing!

Toooo tempting, sitting in the frezer, calling out like sirens, bringing the sailors to their deaths.

Sorry, mixing up Dracula and Jason and the Argonauts BUT I can leave a whole packets of standard magnums in the fridge, the pesky little ones are just too tempting!!!!!

Having had a Costa latte and a biscuit at lunchtime, went downhill with a rather tasty brioche and chocolate cake. Well half, hubby ate most of it (thank goodness) but redeemed myself with a lovely salad starter and steak for dinner. Pudding was chocolate brownies, but had a handful of olives from the starter buffet instead. Just about to polish my halo!

I’m 58 and that’s the VERY first time I’ve had olives for pud. Now that says something about the effects of 5:2, don’t you think???? a And I won’t even mention did 13000 steps!!! Like I’m. 8 miles!!!!!!

Onwarnds and bloody downwards, and I’ll drag the lot of you with me!!!!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.