Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi Milena

No not normally, sometimes I do. Maybe 2/3 times a week.

Other times I have 30 calories of milk so not a true fast. I would say that in true fast terms I have I probably have a 15:9 ratio so 15 hours fast and 9 eating and drinking window. This is most days 2/3 times a week. 18:6 and a day or two different to this.

But this is good for me so I don’t want to change it anytime soon.

Ginette

Wouldn’t for a moment suggest you do Ginette, I’m just looking at options. You are doing what works for you, and it is working well.

As I said, I am planning and musing – probably being really irritating to others. I would never suggest anyone else does what I do, partly because I haven’t a clue what I am doing.

But I plan, and I think, and that’s how I live my life. Hoping to lose another fifty pounds and I have a timescale – and most of a plan – for the next 30.

Hi Milena

I know you are not. Yes I have read that it is best to exercise before eating, I have also read about the exercise afterburn effect. This means that you don’t just burn for example the 200 calories exercising but you carry on burning them in lower levels for a few hours afterwards. I must admit to be lazy with exercise this week. I was out far to much with appointments etc. Next week I am out for a doctors appointment and maybe a meal out with a friend…..with dessert!! It comes free a carvery and a dessert is Β£6.50 so a bargain. The vegetables are lovely there and I normally have been forgoing the Yorkshire pudding there. The stuffing I beleve is also quite high….will I this week?

I haven’t got a long term plan apart from at least 1lb a week and 7lb targets. These are half a stone to Canadians and others as it must seem a strange amount. If I was working with pounds in would be 5 – with Kilos? 5kgs sounds like too big a target as that is 11lbs.

What is your timescale or would rather not say?

I had bare naked noodles tonight with lots of Parmesan cheese 33 grms and 45 calories of sauce. 151 calories just cheese! Just as well the noodles were only 24 calories. So in fact it did work out low calorie, I didn’t even count it up until now.

Not the same as real pasta though.

So almost nothing in the way of vegetables, maybe a little tomato in the sauce. Three portions of fruit though. I always eat lots of vegetables and a little fruit so I am sure I won’t suffer. That bacon sandwich was really nice though.

What a nice though to end on, for me anyway.

Night all I expect most of you are tucked up in bed asleep. I’m not tired as earlier had a nice unusual daytime sleep. So probably awake for at least a couple of hours yet.

See you all tomorrow.

Ginette

Yes back again.

One for all of you who like pasta:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11167883/Cool-and-reheat-pasta-to-make-it-less-fattening.html

I was thinking about my Bare Naked Noodles and I then remembered afterwards that I could have done this.

How annoying. Something to remember for next time. It also mentions rises in blood sugars.

Off to find calorie differences………

Ginette

Good morning.

Hi Milena, when I do a FD, I usually do not eat anything till about 6 or 7. I do drink loads of herbal tea (mostly tasteless) and some black coffee. I, like Ginette, sometimes have nothing after dinner, but sometimes have maybe a glass of milk or fruit around 10, so in effec, I fast for 20-22 hours on a FD, sometimes less. I don’t find it a great hardship most of the time. In fact, for me it is easier to have a ‘proper’meal at the end of a FD. If I eat during the day, I geet hungry. Usually at about 11 or 12 in the morning I will get pangs of hunger but a black coffee takes care of that and then I am busy till around dinner time and I don’t feel it.

I hope this helps.
    Salma

I meant 18-20 hours not 20-22 (too early in the morning!)

Hi there everyone

Hi Milena, I was also thinking about a longer fasting window, as I’d read on another thread that it works effectively against insulin resistance, which is enhanced by fasting. I’m pretty hopeless with the numbers, why is it suddenly 18? it’s hours I suppose, but confuses my tiny mind. Anyway I’m thinking of doing 2 per week, with a longer window, a snack/drink at midday, and then something light at 7pm, so that’s about 18 give or take. The only warning I read is if you feel nauseous it’s not a good sign in fasting, also if you’re taking medication to to tell your doctor..mmmmm…I think the exercise part would work for me as not sure if making the most of my exercise regime.

bb

Hi All,

I did my first FD yesterday, it didn’t go too bad but I was a bit hungry during the day. I started off with porridge made with water and blueberries and just drank either water or black tea during the day, I has my tea about 8pm and had steamed fish and vegetables, I think I went about 12 hours between breakfast and tea. I drank loads of water but I’ve still got a headache, not sure if it’s the fasting or just becouse I have a sore throat.
    Hope you all had a good day yesterday.
    Bye for now.
    Debbie x

Hi Salma

Wish I enjoyed black coffee and herbal tea, though I can just about tackle Earl Grey. I seem to have days where I graze, both FD and NFD, I’m going to trt 19/5 every day for a month. Hi Beldyboop, confuses mine too. Luckily I dont take any meds, but I am going back to doctor to check the water in my knee. Bit of a concern. Have never had a cholestrol or blood test in my life, so frankly no idea whether Im healthy or if I have a mountain of problems. But Im noticing much less pain in my legs, though they are remaining quite large. Think I might measure more than my thighs in future. Not at all sure how easy it will be, but Im good at working to timescales, so having a couple of days if pigging out then 4 weeks of 19/5.

Oh my, I can’t begin to do personals, so please forgive me. As someone(?) said, I would have to take notes to get everything right!

One I do remember…Ginette!! What a great result on FBD! Was that loss for 6 weeks? Fabulous!

Salma…great report from your nutritionist! And a compliment from a young man…Oooh La La!

Big walk on the golf course in the heat & humidity. I was a tired girl last night. I stopped at the market to buy what I need to make a shortcake as the husband was going to get strawberries yesterday. He go too busy with our grandson and forgot, which suited me as the last thing I felt like doing was baking a shortcake last night! I’ll make it today before heading to the golf course. Golf may be cancelled as I think it’s raining. If I do play, I’m going to ride in a cart so I won’t be stranded if a shower or storm blows up. Tomorrow I’m playing in a breast cancer benefit tournament, but the weather does not sound good.

Sleep was disturbed last night when at 10:45 what sounded like the end of times woke us with a start. As it turned out, it was fireworks being set off at the University that is just over the hill from us. It was Alumni weekend and part of the celebration, I guess. It took us a minute to figure out what was going on! It took a bit to get back to sleep after that!

Time for another cup of coffee. Have a lovely day everyone!

Hi Beldyboop

Yes, there has been a lot of research into this by a doctor Varady. It has been proven.

I will see if I can find a link after this post. Also the reheated pasta will lead to less insulin spikes and another link I am going to post below.

The longest fasting window will be from the last meal or drink the night before until the first drink (excluding water in both cases) the next day.

I found that anything for breakfast started me thinking about food and waiting for the next meal. I used to force myself to have it as I was always told the most important meal of the day etc. I now ignore this and eat when my body wants me to. This tends to be about 2.30 – 3.30pm, but can be a little later I drink before this though that includes avert small about of skimmed milk 30 calories for two cups. So I still have a small fasting/houskeeping window almost every day. I am out to lunch this week and so will eat at around 12.30.

I find that I am much happier now I don’t really have cravings like before I felt I needed something, now I know that I craved for something.

I do take meds but never asked the doctor, she knows that I am on 5:2 now and is happy with that. The meds that I take have nothing to do with insulin then and I would get advice. Look on the reversing diabetes site if this is a problem. Ask there and someone will come forward and help. I am on there as a “visitor”.

I have never felt nauseous when fasting.

Hi Debbie

Your headache could be withdrawal from caffeine. Many years ago I was working for my father, I decided to detox a bit and so change from caffeinated tea bags to decaf. I had no idea that it would have a reaction. Day one I had a headache, day two I was so bad I had to lie down. After Lucy a lady who worked there asked me if I would like a cup of tea I said yes as I had to keep fluids going in. She forgot I was on decaf and gave me a cup of tea. As she gave it to me she apologised, as she had just remembered. She asked if I would like her to make another with the decaf bags. I told her not to worry as this was the least of my problems.

I could hardly lift my head, which was throbbing to drink it…….in 30 mins the headache had miraculously gone…..the only thing that was different was the tea! So you can drink tea/coffee hot or cold and this without milk or sugar will not change your fast. It may help your headache though……just a thought. If not I have heard that something with salt in may help as well.

Some people have brunch and so this helps the hunger pangs later. You will find what is best for you with trial and error.

Lovely day yesterday, bacon sandwich still in my memory!!

Hi Milena

Yes you have had that problem for a while. I see we are going to have a heatwave fron Wednesday on after gales and lashings of rain. So it would be nice to get it sorted by then.

I used to take a sea kelp every morning as my knees would get swollen (not good for people on thyroid meds) it used to really help getting rid of excess water. They don’t smell nice (remind me of fish food) but they did the trick. It is only seaweed.

Look into it, my mother would get lots of water infections as she didn’t drink enough and therefore didn’t wee, I gave here these a nice long wee came soon after and far less water infections. Don’t take them at night though as they will cause you to get up.

I stopped taking them a week before blood tests as I didn’t want this to change any results. I don’t seem to get the problem at the moment. It is mostly in the hot weather for me or if I had been on my feet all day.

Enjoy your pigging out phase….. I don’t think you will overeat.

Hi Lori

Thank you. Yes I am very pleased. You do have to remember that I am very overweight so maybe that is why such a loss.

I don’t blame you for taking a cart. Good luck for tomorrow.

I am very rarely woken by any noise even a thunderstorm overhead can pass me by. My son has walked in and out of my bedroom before, if he says my name however I wake up.

So as long as a burglar doesn’t talk to me that would have an easy but very fruitless time!

I wake myself with nightmares and then find it difficult to get to sleep.

….one of my shorter posts I think πŸ™‚

Ginette

Beldyboop

One for you. This looks into the alternate day fasting and the fact that she feels Michael Moseley misrepresented her research.

I know by his blood glucose levels before and after 5:2 worked for him.

http://www.healthista.com/fasting-diets-krista-varadyscience-research-studies-52-diets/

Interesting to read though.

Ginette

Hi Ginette, seriously doubt it will be sorted before the warm weather comes, its a chronic problem and not simply water retention, excess weight exacerbates the problem. I take a kelp supplements anyway, though in tablet form, so no nasty taste and not for this reason.

Hi Milena

Sorry to hear that is it both knees? Well I hope long term it gets sorted and in the short term improves. Sounds a bit like my blood pressure, no quick fix.

I haven’t started taking kelp again yet as it says to have a break is good. I may have to when the hot weather kicked in. My doctor has told me to real and put my feet up, good for my blood pressure and knees, yes, I do this as often as I can, but it’s just not practical all day long.

When I am sitting now it is always feet up.

Let’s hope your doctor can suggest some way of helping it.

Ginette

Ginette, I bought Varady’ s book out of curiosity last week, and was sadly disappointed. She advocated to her study subjects to eat frozen dinners, Lean Cuisine stuff, energy bars….all kinds of processed food!

Hi fitnfast

Well that is so interesting. I am right behind Michael Mosely on this one. There are so many grateful people on these forums who feel that it was life changing. On the reversing diabetes thread, IBS thread and that is just to name a couple. Also I like the throngs on others have lost weight, feel better, cut out cravings and I am having health benefits. I am one of his truly grateful admirers.

I don’t say Dr Varadys research isn’t valid as she is a scientist the food options seem questionable, I wonder what made her suggest that. Maybe the thought that people wouldn’t bother if they didn’t have an easy option. Did she at no point say that home made meals are best?

Thank you for that.

Ginette

I am sure she deserves praise for her work, no doubt. And it may very well be that she gave people that option to make it easier to adhere to. Frankly, when I got to that point, I quit reading! After reading all the blogs on the IDM site, and the good choices most of make here, I didn’t think she really had anything else to offer me.

If we decide that we are doing this not only to lose weight but to be healthier, why would we choose processed foods with chemicals, preservatives, and sugar?? For me, this is a change of lifestyle, hopefully forever, and for a Dr to say it is ok to put that junk in my body is ridiculous. Yeah, I still make poor choices sometimes. But it’s getting better. And this program works.

Here’s a quote,”Many of today’s frozen entrees are twenty first century wonders of culinary ingenuity, delivering maximum flavor and nutrition.”

Say what??!

score one for frozen and procressed foods if reheating pasta and potatoes is the way go go!!

Score 2 for frozen and canned food if the process seals in nuitrients.

Score 3 for ready meals if the alternative is poor cooking. My mother would boil veg to death and wouldn’t know what made a balanced meal if it hit her in the eye!

Fabulous pastry and pie maker though. Though never ever used margarine, except for cakes, marg makes cakes raise better.

Me? I go on holiday to cook – makes a holiday for me, at home I cook a lot from scratch but love tinned peas, OH prefers frozen, rarely use fresh. And tinned or frozen sweetcorn. All other veg fresh, though tinned beans, kidney beans, tuna and sardines.

Though I make cakes ony with butter, couldn’t use marg to save my life.

Cooking is a hobby, love it, but I’m partial to a M&S dine in for 2. Excellent quality and value. And Aldi do some amazing frozen sweet pies, especially at Christmas.

A lot of shop bought food is excellent.

70% of food sold in french restaurants and bistros is processed food made in factories, wonder what the total is in the UK.

Going to watch the guy make my pizza in Pizza Express on Tuesday!!!

Hi Fitnfast

Yes I agree. I do eat things sometimes that are nutrionally beneficial but that I enjoy. I feel these to a minimum. My idea of fast food is to batch cook then portion it and either freeze it or keep it in the fridge for the following day. I have this with freshly cooked vegetables and I am pleased that part of my meal is prepared.

I know exactly what goes into these foods and there are no chemicals that I add.

This works for me and gives me the best of both worlds. I have the occasional diet yoghurt on a fast day, I know how much sugar is in these. I have part of a yogurt as a topping on fruit, one may last three times. Other days I choose different yogurts that are more wholesome. This I believe is showing awareness.

I am happy with that and it is a choice I make.

I used to eat lots of ready meals in fact almost every day as I worked late and it was the easier option when I got back from work tired.

Now I use my own ready meal recipes as above. Far more healthy and convenient.

Of course I eat things that I shouldn’t but having changed 90/95% of my diet I am happy. It did take me a couple of months to get into routine of healthy eating, but I also feel sure that this is best for me.

That quote is amazing for all of the wrong reasons!

Ginette

Hi Milena

I cook more when I am on holiday. Yes I eat somewhere where the veg is overlooked probably by two hours, I am pleased to share a meal that she has cooked and never complain. My son cooks his own when he joins us.

I don’t want to spoil her pleasure at preparing a meal for us. The same goes for the meat, my dad would often say he could sole his shoes with it.

I don’t cook this way but I never complain. How bad would this make her feel. I would be the same in anybody else’s house.

I’ve never tried M&S I did hear they make delicious fish cakes.

I also have a lasagne every 2/3 weeks. This is a ready meal but not as nice as mine. I daren’t cook it as I can’t control myself with pasta and haven’t enough room in the freezer!

I used to make and toss pizza in the Italian restaurant I worked in. Sheer pleasure.

Ginette

Hi all, sorry I can’t remember everyone’s names yet or who gave me advice but just wanted to say thanks, my headache is feeling much better now.

Also I would just like to ask what you all eat on NFD’s, do you still count calories or do you just eat what you like?

I’ve not eaten very much today but I think that’s more to do with the headache than the diet.

Debbie x

disagree

I think the quote is true, frozen food is often not inferior, it is sometime better than fresh – a lot of ready meals aren’t good but many are.

Look at the places fresh food comes from, halfway around the world sometimes, the same food frozen and bought here is often better than the fresh stuff – certainly not inferior, and fish is generally frozen before it comes into shore.

And look at what we eat – foods from around the world and recipes from around the world.

Lovely to have choices – especially when we are time poor.

Evening comrades

Well I have been away for the weekend and look what happens, a whole new page! Hello to those I am meeting for the first time.

My weekend away was a gardening convention and on the whole I got on fine, food-wise with two ‘smallish’ off-piste eating events! This is what I have learned (about my eating, not about plants!!!)

When I am not in control of when I can eat, make sure I have some back up food… I didn’t take any, and missed a meal or two travelling around which meant that I got so hungry I ended up buying inappropriate snacks from little shops in the middle of nowhere (because they had no fresh food.) I’m sure you guys would just have taken it as another opportunity to fast (in fact I did that on Saturday)but Friday night ate some rubbish.

I also ate some rubbish on the drive home today (crisps and a small cake)and I have learned that is because I am tired and also have my period, generally feeling slightly blech. I am realising through the fasting how little of my eating previously was triggered by actual hunger.

So, no major harm was done and frankly still within my TDEE I think BUT a warning to me that when I fail to plan, I plan to fail as all the corporate training I have ever attended said. Especially around the time of my period. I felt so bad after eating that stuff – I kept thinking what a waste of eating when I could have had something much nicer and healthier too! (And bigger!!!) Still, flexibility is the key, I know it’s not all or nothing.

So, my goal for June is to plan my eating better so I don’t fall into that panicky hole and also to have appropriate back-up food for emergencies – If I had had food with me, I think I could easily not have eaten it, if that makes any sense – it was the fact I didn’t have a choice which was the problem.

On a positive note, with the exception of those lapses my food has been of high quality protein and veg, a little fruit and a small amount of dairy and I have enjoyed it all! So I think I am on track for a bit of a loss this week (weigh tomorrow morning) but more importantly I am learning about myself and my previously mindless eating. I fasted on Mon Thurs last week and that was totally fine, will do the same this week.

Have a good week everyone, you all sound motivated and doing well, be proud! Especial congats to the FBD ers, you ate definitely the gold star girls of the moment!

Kate xx

Good evening everyone.

Bravo norlandlass on completing your fast day despite the headache. Coffee usually helps with that (as Ginette said). Sometimes the FD is just bad.. you get it over with and go to sleep early thinking of a proper meal next day.

Kate, tomorrow is another day, June is another month.. you are on the way!

Lori.. you must have had an active (if slightly wet?) day. Calories spent galore.

a NFD for me and had friends over from Cyprus so had lunch up in the mountains in a beautiful old palace turned hotel/restaurant. Huge buffet (always a challenge). I did not do TOO badly, but had a bit of desert and altogether too much food. I hope the scales will be kind tomorrow. Monday is a FD, so am psyching myself up to it. Everyone’s posts really help.

Driving home, I had a real craving for chocolate and passed a shop that I could have bought some in, but thought better of it. I got home and still had a craving for chocolate, so I decided to make my chocolate/Nutella type recipe. It is always a good answer to that chocolate craving and you only need a bit (and it is healthy). I thought i would share the recipe (which I invented, so true to form, there are no exact measurements- change them to your taste). It is so simple, it will take less than 10 minutes and no cooking is involved:

1 C Whole Hazelnuts (I always keep some for this purpose) – I guess you can substitute almonds or walnuts, but I have only ever made it with hazelnuts..
    3 Tbsp cocoa
    about 1/3 C carob molasses (or any other type of molases or honey or condensed milk or maple syrup – but Carob molasses has masses of vitamin B’s)

Dry roast the hazelnuts in the oven or in a heavy frying pan (I have a cast iron skillet) until light brown, this should take about 3 or 4 minutes in a skillet. This improves their taste. If you are using other nuts, you probably don’t need to roast them. If they have the brown covering you can remove it by putting the roasted hazelnuts in a tea towel on a kitchen surface and rolling them inside it. I don’t bother and use the whole thing. This gives it a bit of bitterness, but the cocoa overwhelms that.

use a coffee grinder (or food processor) to grind the hazelnuts finely.
    Place in a bowl and add the cocoa. Mix.
    Add molasses and mix. If the mixture is too ‘heavy’ add a tsp of water at a time until you get a spreading consistency.
    That’s it! Place is a jar in the fridge and use when you feel like chocolate. You can just have a spoonful when you want chocolate or spread on a low calorie cracker or toast.

Even my sons think it an acceptable alternative.

Now.. our FBDers are nearing the finishing line. What a wonderful achievement. We expect to hear fina results tomorrow..

Onwards and downwards.

Hi Debbie

I would advise counting for the first couple of weeks, it gives you an idea of how much calories are in food and drinks if you have never counted before – if you have a long tine ago it just reacquaints you with them. I did this and had some nice surprises and some shocks as well.

Some people like to count all of the time, I have on fast beach diet as I though it was useful. I shall now go back to my former way of checking unknown foods and I always weigh and count fast day foods. I know my calories quite well and sometimes to a bit of adding up in my head, but I don’t want to have to count everything forever.

Fitness pal has a great tool for putting in the weight you want to get to and how much you want to lose in a week. I put in 1lb a week. It then works out a realistic daily calorie goal for you. This really helped me as I like to lose 1/2lb a week but at least 1lb.

I average out at a lot more than that.

I recently reset my target to half a stone lower and I am now at last check 16.11. I want to be around 11 stone. Believe me when you have come from 20 stone this is a massive difference. When I get to 11 stone (not if!) I may want to lose another half a stone but that is too far away to trouble me.

I started cutting back last May 2014, I lost a stone by the second week of January. I then joined 5:2 so I started it 18/19 weeks ago. I have lost 32lbs so that is an average of 2 lb a week. The fast diet of course is part on this but I am pleased with that. It may slow down but as long as I lose at least an average of 1lb a week I shall be happy. No rush I will get there…..

Ok food, I used to have and will now have similar food to fast days but with additions granary bread about 3/4 tines a week, potatoes 3/4 times a week and some things that aren’t good as nutrition but they sure make me feel good so a little chocolate or ice cream or an odd slice of cake.

I keep well clear from biscuits as they are too easy to eat. I do indulge in a box of Jaffa Cakes every 2/3 weeks. I think a little of what I like does me good.

I will sometimes do a random day calorie counting but this is only to check I am not going mad. I know I shall do a few days over the next couple of weeks to make sure that my newfound freedom doesn’t go to my head.

Sorry, I’m not very good at giving short answers!!!

Hi Milena

We are now on countdown……

I eat frozen vegetables most of the time and I agree they contain more nutrients. I also am tempted by tge odd exotic Muller light flavours, I loved the after eight one and now the chocolate orange and Turkish delight. I treat these as treats as I know about the sugar content.

Fast day for me tomorrow, I am going out Wednesday for a meal so I will have to change the second to either Tuesday or Thursday. I want to do three this week so I can have what I want without going mad. That way I can enjoy myself on four days guilt free. Bliss. I need to measure next week as well.

I have a jacket that last September was about 4/5 inches away from zipping up, by the wedding in May it would zip up. Today I wore it and it is comfortably loose. It is my only smart jacket so I now need to look for a summer size over the next few months. That feels good.

I can’t remember what size it is. I would say I am definetly a pear shape. But it was Williams pear shape I am hopefully getting to be more conference shape.

Hi Kate

Well that wasn’t too bad and you managed to eat less than you would have done pre 5:2 days. These times are only traps that we all might fall into earlier on. Now you know how you can avoid them. No harm done.

Did you enjoy the event?

Have a good week.

Hi Salma

Well done at avoiding temptation.

That sounds delicious. I may give that a whirl, not yet though!!

Yes we have now officialy finished.

Freedom…….

Apart from it is fast day tomorrow, so not quite yet!

Night all have a good fast day.

Ginette

Tadaaaaaaaaaaa
    The official ending of FBD for our stars. Really well done!

FD for me today.. The scales were NOT kind as yesterday was rather indulgent, but hey.. I am in this for the long haul. I think if I stick to this recording the weight on Monday morning after having done my worst (usually at weekends) then I will get a proper trend for the weight.

Have a great one.. and Milena, we are waiting for your final FBD stats.

Woohoo – delighted with two pounds off this week which makes 9lbs in two weeks (and multiple inches!)
    Fast day today, #feelinginspired.

The weekend was great Ginette, thanks, nothing I enjoy more than geeking out over plants!
    Kate x

Hi Everyone!

I also agree with the earlier post about frozen food, I love it, as it’s usually frozen straight from source, so still has vitamins, also less wastage. I buy frozen mixed berries, and peas, and have them everyday, Ginette I also love melons (unfrozen)the Galia ones! fab with greek yoghurt. I’m not a fan of ready made meals, but each to his own. I tend to cook from scratch, don’t love cooking for myself but love to cook if it’s a special meal for family etc..especially deserts..

Kate, great weight loss!
    Salma thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious, not sure where to find carob molasses.
    The scales were also not kind to me πŸ™ but respect for this WOL of life, if you (as in one) follows it, it works, and over the last 2 weeks, between stress at work and some social situations I have not adhered to the “code” wholly, so only have myself to blame!
    I’ve counted 23 FD’s to mid August, when I go on holiday, but a few mini-goals. Determined to stick to this plan. Sending positive vibes to you, as you mention you’re in this for the long haul, me too, there are bound to be ups and downs, I also have a wedding next weekend, so have to factor that in.

Thanks for the link Ginette, am going to lengthen my fasting window tomorrow..

love to you all, happy fasting!

H Salma

Yes I was clock watching last night……not that it made any difference as it was FD today, I feel free though. My front tooth fell out this morning. I knew it would at some point. I had been on meds since 6 years old and they have effected my gums.

Ah well, I can’t stop taking them so I knew it would happen. I now need to make an appointment with the dentist. At least I can still talk properly…….and it won’t make a difference to typing! Not a good look though!

Well done Kate, you must be absolutely thrilled. A brilliant loss. So no damage done from yesterday. My Mum was a brilliant gardener and spent every spare moment in the garden. When she became ill it was something she couldn’t do, so sad.

I am glad you enjoyed the weekend.

Yes Beldyboop

My melons are never frozen, neither are mushrooms, tomatoes or onions. Yes Galia would be my second favourite. 99% of my meals are cooked by me. It is only lasagne and tge very occasional pizza that isn’t.

I cook from scratch often batch cooking, this way I have the best of both. An easy meal and I just have to cook the veg which takes very little time.

Maybe the scales will be kinder next week. Have you thought about factoring in another fast day to offset the wedding?

Just a thought.

Ginette

Hi all

managed 12lbs, just over 5.5kg, so quite pleased as I went padt my target. Quite a few targets.

Wont be taking Appliepie’s challenge – didnt realise you had set one, but I bow out. Concentrating on exercise this month, and Im going to have a go at 19:5 on a daily basis.

All in good time though, having a couple of less mindful days.

Planning for a holiday, and as we never use money we never use from our business to pay for holidays, now have to step up a gear to earn some. Also need to reslly knuckle down and get my Christmas stuff on Ebay – soubds mad but listing takes an age, have until mid Sepember.

Willow is a wee bit up and down, needing a lot of care too. So I wont be around much for the next few weeks, though if I get to do any travelling, might lurk occcasionally.

Good luck everyone, keep getting back in the saddle, edpecially you Salma, as always Im right behind you.

Travel hopefully ……..

My challenge Milena? I didn’t know I had set one, was I having a senior moment? Unless you mean asking for photos in our Facebook group πŸ™‚

Salma – did you take any photos at that wonderful sounding buffet? Please post them on Facebook if you did. I am sure we would all love to see them.

With all the stress of cooking and preparing our buffet I forgot to take any pics πŸ™ Everyone loved the meat and potato pie (flaky pastry crust, ready made, life is too short to make your own), the turkey and cauli curry was a big hit, and my apple buns, well, all I can say is it’s a good job I kept a few back. I had a bit of everything, but not too much. We all had a great time.

Weigh day today and after 2 buffets, I have …………………….. LOST another 1.5lbs!!!! Unbelievable. I am now 121.6lbs or 8st 9.5lbs.

Very well done to Ginette and Milena, I expect they are too busy eating today to post much on here? πŸ™‚

Good Monday everyone. Great job Firehorse – you are galloping along! And wow oh wow Ginette – brilliant results. πŸ™‚ You must be clicking your heels together! Milena, I am starting to consider a 16-8 to begin with …… noon til 8, then move it down by an hour to 17-7 but any more would be hard for me to keep up [current thinking, who knows if this may change!] and want a ‘lifestyle’ that works for me. Interested how others do with that though.
    Weighed this morning [I do peek regularly to try and keep myself honest] after indulgent weekend at lake and up 1.4 but it is my Monday fast here, so don’t weigh officially til Tues. It will also be my 4 week mark so want to re-measure but can’t find my written notes — tucked ‘somewhere safe’ that I can’t remember …… at least I have some measurements on the 5 2 tracker, but I had taken a few extra in other areas…. Will start again with those.

Hiya all..

Milena.. you are well ahead of me, not behind me! Really well done.. I am bouncing around (not a sight for sore eyes) with happiness for your loss. Well done both of you.. and Applepie.. I am quite jealous how she manages to have feasts and still lose πŸ™‚ Well done Kate.. am jealous of you too! πŸ™‚

Applepie, I am so glad your get together was successful. The food sounds amazingYes, I should take a picture of gorgeous food.. I just did not think about it. I know one of Milena’s rules was to “eat and tell” when you have had a good meal.. I will try to rememeber the next time, and you can be sure there will be a next time.

Milena, I am not sure if you want to fast for 19 hours EVERY day before eating anything? Hmmmm.. not sure I like the sound of that..but if so, do keep us posted on how it goes and whether it affects the rate of weight loss.

Beldyboop, you say”Salma thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious, not sure where to find carob molasses”, molasses is good, but you can use anything else as substitute. I imagine that you can use maple syrup as well.. You should be able to find molasses in grocery stores, but if not, try health food stores. If you can’t find it and don’t want to use honey or maple syrup just sweeten with Stevia but add some water (or a bit of vegetable oil or butter) to bind it together.

I do what Ginette does, cook in batches and freeze in portion-sized batches. That way, I always have something ready to eat when I get home. I just take it out of the freezer in the morning.

Ginette, sorry about your tooth.. that must feel bad. What are you going to have done about it? Is an implant an option?

FD for me today.. I just had my soup and feel revived.

Happy evening everyone.

Hi Milena

A fantastic result and broken through your target as well.

It was Audrey’s challenge 16lbs until her birthday in August.

I know that you are really busy and we will see you here as and when you can. Thinking of you and Willow as well. I hope that work keeps you busy…… Though make time for yourself as well. See you here soon.

Hi Applepie

Yes that made me smile. No not you Audrey.

Well done on that loss, brilliant to still manage that after the buffets. The apple buns sound good. Any recipe?

No I am on fast day and maybe also tomorrow then I can relax. Lunch out Weds with dessert and another fast day before the end of the week. This is just to stop food going to my head. Then next week hoping to drop back to a controlled 5:2.

Phoebe

Thank you, yes I am really pleased. I don’t want to steal anybody else’s thunder though as there were some great losses on here last week.

I would say do what is comfortable with the 16/8 17/7 scenario. Mine is what I do comfortably. See what feels right for you.

Yes I need to measure this week.

I always have a large meal Sunday, mostly vegetables but I chose to weigh on Saturday now before the weekend. Then I can indulge.

Hi Salma

19 hours isn’t as bad as it sounds as it comes from the evening before and it is overnight and then part of a day. So if you last ate and drank at 8.30 then the fast would end at 3.30 the following day.

Difficult if you are working though and you can have water.

I must say food is fine for me but I normally have two cups of tea in this period so only 30 calories.

Yes not a great look, I will still be able to eat now and it is the bone that is the problem so I am losing them all early. Just one of those things.

Apparently the tablets I am on weaken the bone but these are tablets that I must take as they control Epilepsy and it is completely in control and I lead a normal life. It is just the blood pressure that is not under control. I am one of the lucky ones as there are many types of epilepsy and mine is when I am going to sleep, I have not had a fit in years. Others have it throughout their days and cannot control it with medication. Paul McKenna doesn’t bring it on. I have had hypnosis before and that has never had any triggers for it. As a precaution I did ask my doctor and she told me that if I wanted to, to try it once and then I would know. No ill effects.

Going to call the dentist tomorrow and make an appointment to see what he wants to do.

Well so far I haven’t eaten, but I have had cups of tea……it’s about time I had another.

Ginette

Evening everyone.

Congratulations to all the losers πŸ™‚

Whilst it IS rather nice to be able to get into those size 14 jeans without excessive spillage(!) the weekly weigh in this morning, after an accidental 4:3 last week – forgot to eat again Saturday evening, explained why: 6.4lbs lost in a week, when I was hoping for 2lb…! – which is actually quite scary and due primarily to having a lot on my mind last week and being too preoccupied to remember to eat. Made a conscious decision NOT to fast today, will just do Thursday. I need to get back into a normal 5:2 eating pattern and for that I need to actually eat on a NFD! My goal for this week is to maintain.

What was occupying my thoughts last week has been dealt with and I am now regaining my focus, which is good :-). However, scary speed of it aside, the attention-to-eating blip does mean that I’m now at 12stone 13.4lbs (UNDER 13 st, just, and yes, on THAT front, happy dance in progress) and have now lost a total of 3 stone 4.6lbs / 46.6lbs / 21.18kg (15lbs of it on 5:2 since the beginning of March).

Also looking forward to an early night and at least 6Β½hrs of actual sleep (it was a rough week).

Onward and downward (just not quite that quickly….!)

Hi Firehorse

Wow and wow! That is a massive loss. I know what you mean about it being scary, I found that at 5lbs…..it made me a bit panicky – yes I too have done accidental fast days.

That is a fantastic achievement in a short time spell.

I am sorry as it sounds like you have had a bit of a rough week though. I am glad that that is changing now.

I can’t say though that it wouldn’t be good to just make that a full 1lb under the stone. So 12 stone 13. I love going under the stone. How much more do you want to lose?

Have a better week this week (stress wise).

Ginette

Hi Ginette,
    My target is 10 st 7lbs. At 5’4″ and with a large frame (my wrist measures nearly 6Β½” so I can safely say I have a robust skeletal structure) I should be between 10 and 11 stone so I’m aiming for the middle. At my absolute worst I was 17st 6lbs, but mid-April last year I was 16st 4lb so just under 13st does feel like a big improvement! Only 2Β½st to go πŸ™‚

And thanks, I’m also hoping this week will be calmer and more focused. Now I’ve eaten I’m seriously considering a long hot bath and a beer!

Hi Firehorse

Yes I am 5.5 so I know what you mean. 10.7 was ok for me before. Now I am heading for 11 stone, I have moved this from 11.7. Both of these have me in the healthy range.

Yes I have lost 3 stone 4 so I know what you mean.

Have a good week.

Ginette

Wow firehorse!!! Amazing results, hope things stay a bit calmer for you though
    Kate Eve xx

Hi Everyone,
    Well done to everyone who lost if you’ve just had a weigh in, I think your all fantastic and a great incentive to me to keep going.
    I’ve just done my second FD, and this time I feel great, I didn’t eat anything for breakfast but did have a cup of tea with milk, I took an apple with me to work just in case but didn’t eat it, I’ve drank lots of water and had a black coffee at break then at lunch about 1pm I had a 67 calorie cup a soup and that enabled me to carry on till tea at 8pm when I had a chicken stir fry and 40g brown rice, so far if my maths are correct I’ve used 465 calories, so I have enough for another cup of tea with milk. I’ve also found it a lot easier today with not eating breakfast and having a cup of soup for lunch. I’ve also done over 20000 steps today too so am feeling very pleased with myself.
    Good luck everyone who is on a FD tomorrow.
    speak soon and hopefully I will learn some names soon.

Debbie x

Hi Debbie

Yes, I find eating later works for me. I have just had dinner and only had milk in tea all day. I’m glad this was a easier day for you. What a fantastic amount of steps. Next week you will probably now find easier.

I can’t wait to see your first weeks loss.

Ginette

Hi Ginette,
    Thanks for the advice, I can’t believe how different today has felt, and I’ve felt great too. iMessage even thinking of having another FD on Wednesday too as think I could probably manage it this week and then make my FD on a Monday and Wednesday. I’m not sure when I can get weighed this week as I don’t have scales of my own sh have been going to Boots but don’t think I can make it this Friday so will just measure myself instead.
    I was really surprised with the amount of steps today especially with no food.
    Thanks again.
    Debbie x

Hi Debbie

Yes those are my fast days as well.

I invested in a set of scales at the beginning of this. Mine are ok but aren’t backlit, I wish I looked more carefully. I had an old set of metal ones, these are glass. I know that the last ones I could get on 4 times in a row and would get different weights.

The glass ones are fine and don’t vary. I always use them on a hard floor in the same place.

In case you think of investing I have put a link from Amazon here. I did briefly get a salter scales from Asda they stopped working after a few days so I took them back.

I paid more for the ones I have now, but as I am serious about losing weight I like to have the tools at hand. Also it doesn’t give me any excuses.

Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BalanceFrom-Accuracy-Bathroom-Backlight-Technology/dp/B00HOQIEHO/ref=sr_1_12?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1433192093&sr=1-12&keywords=bathroom+scales

Ginette

Ginette – my apple buns were just a basic cupcake mix (or as they were known in my day, fairy cakes) with chopped cooking apples added. I cooked them a bit longer than recommended. They went down very well.

Firehorse – wow, what a great loss, well done!!

Milena – come back to Facebook! what happened there?

I feel tons better today after a nice early night. The sun is shining. More neighbours arriving every day. Most of them lovely people. Life is good on the Costa Blanca.

Hi Apple pie (and everyone).
    Lovely to feel positive isn’t it! I think it is great that you have positivity and seem to like the people around you. Such a great gift. I think it is not only the Costa Blanca that is sunny, but your disposition πŸ™‚

The apple buns sound lovely. After a FD, I am ready for breakfast.
    Have a great day everyone.

Salma

Hi Everybod!

I’m fasting today, and am going to be good! really determined and this forum gives extra incentive! I’ll be marking all day, so am doing liquids til 7ish, it’s chucking it down here, so a good day for marking πŸ˜‰ . I read this on another thread, can’t remember where, that for some of us, it’s not the physical hunger pangs, but the emotional ones that are tricky, I agree…but now try to distract myself ;_). Last night was my Zumba class, and it always makes me eat less, yes less, and puts me in a great frame of mind. Seeing my ladies having fun and some of them, losing weight is great!

Firehorse hope your worries are fewer, sounds like a tough week, I hope you’re getting some sleep.

Debbie, you should be pleased with yourself, is that 20,0000 steps on your fitbit?

Ginette, once again thanks for your links! Are you eating normally tomorrow? time you had a treat?

Milena that’s a great result! bet you’re pleased, how was it with no wine for 6 weeks?

Apple pie, Apple buns, nice! will try, enjoy you’re warmer climes. I have family further south, in Malaga, that’s my august goal, not to wobble in a swimsuit, I am ghostly pale, and don’t tan, so any wobble is a mega wobble!

Salma, isn’t it nice when FD is over? such an accomplishment.

See you later, happy FD’s and NFD’s
    bb

Hi Applepie

They sound lovely. I thought you were using a bun mix.

Hi Salma yes a second one for me today and then corsets off – heading for a lovely meal tomorrow with nice company.

Beldyboop

To right I am having whatever dessert I fancy…..it may be a difficult choice.

I have to report that my new recruit Sue has lost 2 1/2 lbs. so 1/2 more than my fast day. I have just spoken to her and she is absolutely thrilled and settling well into this WOL.

I am so pleased as I have seen her struggle to lose weight in the past on different diets and then, the same as a lot of us have done….put it all back on. She enjoys this way and I think will be very successful. I shall be right behind her pushing and pulling all the way. πŸ™‚

Have a good day all.

Ginette

‘Corsets off’ Ginette – I love it!! The corset I want to lose is years of bad eating choices and feeling bad about my weight. Feeling positive that here is the answer!

Tremendous start Sue, glad you’ve joined us

Kate x

Hi Kate

Yes metaphorically I shall be ripping them off, waving them in the air and throwing them away. Oh such fun!!

How are you doing Kate, all Ok?

Here is a recipe that I posted some time ago, truly delicious and only 370 calories!!

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535184/hairy-biker-s-spanish-style-chicken-bake

Ginette

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.