Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi everyone

I am signing off now, got lots to do before I go, will be back week on Sunday, good luck everyone

Audrey

Happy Friday everyone!

I am always happy on a Friday…..2 days of freedom loom in front of me! Actually, I have 3 days of freedom this weekend as I’m off Monday to play in a charity golf tournament. The weather looks crap, but what can you do? Cool and rainy. Not exactly golf weather, but so it goes.

Happy to report that the scale was kind to me this morning and showed a 3 lbs loss since Monday morning! Quite happy, but also realize that it is just the “weekend fluff” that I put on at my sister’s last weekend. Oh well..a lower number is always good. I feel slimmer this week, so I’m running with that feeling.

You all have me wondering about these steam cleaners. Off to Amazon I go to read up on them. Wonder if my cleaning lady would use it if I bought one? If I asked her to, I’m sure she would, as long as she didn’t need to worry about getting burned or anything. I’ll do some research. It would be easy for me to do a quick touch up in between her coming to clean too.

Decided to have a rest day today as my arms and shoulders are quite sore from yesterday’s workout. Since I have 3 days of golf in front of me, I thought I’d better give this old body a break!

Have a lovely weekend all!

Evening everyone.

Not sure how to say this but yesterday was a fast day: I had 2 x med apples, 2 x stock drinks and a yakult light during the day….. then I forgot to eat dinner…. by the time I realised I prob should eat something it was 10:30 and too late. Had a white coffee and a couple of rich tea fingers instead…. sub 270cal day….!

Hopeful now for a good weigh-in on Monday (assuming I can resist the temptation to stuff myself at a dinner out tonight).

Hope you fasters & non-fasters have had a good day 🙂

Hi Lori

What a fantastic loss!! Big congratulations. That must feel good.

I love my steam cleaner, it is so simple to use. The one I have you don’t have to put detergent in it, but I am a sucker for lemon flash. I like the smell. It actually tells you not to, I only use a really tiny amount so I can’t see how it will harm. You can get those that you can use detergent in them.

On Amazon you can read all of the reviews. I always look at price and ratings, then number of reviews. I think this is a good way of finding out if this is worth buying. My first one was floors only, my second one I bought as it does many things. Windows, cupboards, ovens and upholstery to name just a few. It breaks off into hand held when you need it to. I really wouldn’t be without it now.

I am sure your cleaning lady would be delighted. Where I worked there was a brilliant cleaner. She was always complaining about tge mop and bucket method not getting the floors clean. She often changed mop heads and still no good. We were on holiday for half term and when I got back the floors really had changed colour…….yes they had bought her a steam cleaner to use. Apart from the benefits I have mentioned, she found it much quicker, more efficient, no more mop and bucket to carry about the building or store. A very happy cleaner…..I am also happy to say that I always saw her as I worked later and would make her a cup of tea when she came to clean the rooms I used. Now she came to me last and had time to have a cup of tea and a chat, sometimes even a cake had the students been baking. Now she is home half an hour earlier but says she really misses me. The caretaker would also join us for tea and a chat……..I miss those as well.

Yes, I normally give my body a break after exercise. I find it is better. Enjoy your Golf.

Hi Firehorse

I too have had some strange fast days like that. One which wasn’t a fast day but just turned into one. Who would have thought this when we started….not I for one.

Have a little of what you fancy tonight. Don’t worry too much about it. I find it is almost impossible to overeat….how strange life is.

Hi All

This is interesting. It shows three women who are not really overweight although one of them her BMI was out of the healthy range. They see what toning up in the gym can do. Pictures are impressive. They should have chosen some of us…..maybe even more impressive.

Can you really get a perfect bikini body in just EIGHT weeks? Three normal women hit the gym to find out… and here’s how they got on
    http://dailym.ai/1FHkjH9

Yesterday I mentioned how well my new recruit Sue is doing. I saw her Mum today and told her that I felt bad today as I had mentioned how lucky Sue is to have her Mum cooking and checking all the calories for her. I said I had accidentally made her sound lazy, I didn’t like to say anymore as it isn’t up to me. Her Mum told me to go ahead as I wouldn’t say anything bad about her. So the reason she can’t prepare foods herself as she can’t get about very well, she has caliber son her legs and uses a walker. They both hope that this will ease the pressure and help her get around more easily. I’ve got to say she’s been an absolute star and is doing fantastically well on her first week. I am so proud of her.

I hope you are all having a good day.

Ginette

Oh dear Milena

Having just re read the back page of the planner it said to cut down treats, not to cut out. My brain told me that I should cut out. Did you realise that.

I shall repost below. Go to the back page.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/FB-PLANNER.pdf

Ginette

Hi everyone, I’m new to this too, I’m doing my first fast day tomorrow so fingers crossed. I decided to do the 5-2 diet after reading a sample of the book on my kindle and hearing about it from someone at work. It sounds great that you only need to cut down on food for 2 days a week, so here goes. I’m starting it as I’ve been walking more every day but have put weight on in the last few weeks instead of loosing it, I got on the scales at the beginning of May and was 12.12 stone, and I’ve just been weighed again today and am now 13.01 stone. I’m 53 and think it’s about time I lost some weight so I can enjoy doing things with my Husband and Grandchildren.
    Debbie x

For anyone interested, good for people new to the diet or not.

A 5:2 book with a quick run through if the diet. Really so much more than a recipe book. All links can be accessed from the first page. It is completely free and all online.

http://75.127.114.162/~degustin/52diet/The_5_2_Diet_Recipe_Book.pdf

Ginette

Hi Debbie

First of all welcome to the forum.

I started in January and have lost over 2 stone, I am really happy with that. I have done many diets with initial success but only the first two or three weeks. I found it so difficult to lose.

The 5:2 way retrains you brain. Strange but true. It also does it very quickly and without any effort on your part – that was really good, as long as you do the 5:2 count all of the calories including the milk and any other drinks you have on this day. Personally I reccomended counting for 2 weeks to acquaint or reacquaint yourself with calories.

I have lots of suggestions for people new to this including haw it might make you feel. Personally I found the first fast difficult and the next easier, week to was much easier as I got more organised and by week three I was looking forward to them….yes I know that sounds completely strange and almost unbelievable but so many people have found this. Some of us are on the help all ladies of a certain age and also the fat bustin Brits threads. This thread has the most brilliant lot of people on it they are all supporting and encouraging and non judgemental. We get through the difficult times with the community support here.

The very best of luck.

I will post the link for you today.

Ginette

Debbie

I forgot to ask where you were from. I am from Hampshire in England.

Ginette

Hi Ginette

it was me – I said from the start that the FBT was cut out treats – I know, I lied, but I lied to Nessie first – and she had treats anyway – just not as many as if she had been allowed. Mimi did say cut out wine completely if you can – not a problem for you but hey, if I was going to miss ALL my wine, I had to make it just as difficult for everyone else.

But we survived – thinking of making tee-shirts I SURVIVED THE FBD!

Just another 1,711 minutes to go!

Seriously thinking of a few weeks of hugely increased exercise and then ——- ANOTHER FBD!!! Well, I am hoping to go on holiday last week in August – if I start at the beginning of July I will – obviously – get the bikini bod – in my dreams – not that you would see me wearing a bikini in a million years!

Oh Milena

To think I felt so guilty when I had that small ice cream. Well after a few weeks I may be up for it again, but this time, the true version……with some treats and no guilt!!

Well tomorrow will be the day for me to know how well I have done. When are you weighing? I shall also measure next week.

No and I think that if you had to forgo wine, I should have to forgo something……and to think that I could have had the odd midget gem!! All those foods I have refused……well it’s a good job I am the forgiving kind 🙂 🙂

Ginette

Hi Ginette

but you are a star!! and I did my bit to help you get there! Shine bright dear lady – for us all, and have a midget gem! (soooo much sugar, I’ve been saving you from yourself!) Anyway, I don’t think I did enough push ups, they certainly weren’t getting any easier, but will follow the plan better next time, not treats though for me.

Not weighing til Monday, doing water fast Sunday, the scales are not being kind this week.

Hi Milena

Yes you did and I wanted to cut treats down. I’m sure that will have worked. I really hope it shows up as it seems so unfair. Maybe what you need is a couple of refeeding days. I swear your system has adapted.

No, now the midget gem will wait until next week.

Well I didn’t do any push ups and carried on as normal but increased time a bit and was a bit more energetic with it.

I shall join the gym in a few weeks as I will lose my health trainer. I shall get some help on best ways to tone up as well.

Are you measuring next week as you must have lost inches?

I shall post results for the six weeks here tomorrow. I have admitted every (what I thought at the time) indiscretion. Now of course I found out all of these very few things would be fine. It seems wrong if you haven’t had a good loss. I know you haven’t got as much to lose but some people say that doesn’t matter.

I was pleased to keep you company, and shall do again. Give us a little break though.

Ginette

Hello ladies, and particularly almost-done-with-FBD heroes (or is that heroines?)..
    I couldn’t have done it.. you are almost there.. the wine and ice creams beckon, but only after Sunday. Stay strong!

Not a FD for me today, but uneventful and low(ish) calories, so I am ok. Tomorrow is my monthly trip to the nutritionist, where I am weighed, prodded and measured. Let us keep hopeful against hope!

I have another trip looming on the 12th, so I have to try to ‘bank’ some pounds before I go, but, honestly, I won’t be killing myself trying to do that. I have a bunch of work visitors the week after this, and 3 nights work dinners in a row as well, so I won’t set my sights too high.

Well done Lori, oh and Firehorse as well, and welcome Debbie.
    I completely sympathise Lori.. the weekend.. yaaaayyyyy!!!
    I have a voucher for a massage at a spa from my last birthday in August. I had completely forgotten about it, but found it rummaging through my drawer looking for the phone charger (again, silver linings).. so I booked myself for a massage tomorrow after the nutritionist appointment to soften the blow, as it were. They have a beautiful pool and jacuzzi, so I will be indulging! Maybe a movie and coffee with friends later? Life is good.

Now, let’s hope Mr. McKenna does his job. I had only 4 hours of sleep last night (Poor Ginette, you seem to be having less sleep than even me).. Mr. McKenna is not all he is cracked up to be , is he? For you newbies who don’t know who McKenna is, and before you start making hasty conclusions, he is the sleep hypnotist on TAPE that is supposed to help insomniacs sleep 🙂

Hi all, Having been there at one time or another, I am commiserating with and send positive thoughts to those who have had data problems, ill friends, sweets screeching from the cupboards [I find I just am best not to buy them…sigh] and grape excess [the unsqueezed and squeezed kind], and am requesting to borrow Kate’s hubbie to do my floors [move over Paul M!!].
    Enjoy your time away Audrey, and can’t wait to hear what our fast beachers will have for Monday reward! Hats off to you Ginette and Milena! 🙂 Good luck with health appt too Ginette.
    In the bird category, not a lark or an owl, but will be listening to my loons on the weekend. Tonite have big dinner party out, so am having a lite day in advance as I anticipate overindulgence. A friend coming Sunday to lake is bringing lunch — what she calls a ‘large salad with one big crouton [aka pizza!!]…. but instead of panicking I will try to have lite breakfast and dinner, and we will kayak around island to try and burn it off. That is what makes the 5 2 so great!!!
    Congrats on your losses and keep perervering peeps.

And hey Salma – post crossing – enjoy the spa massage. It will be the perfect antidote to the other kind of poking and prodding!

Hi Ginette,

Thanks for the links and for making me feel welcome.
    I’m From Halifax in West Yorkshire so am a northern lass.
    I’ve planned out what I’m having to eat tomorrow and I’ll try and stick to drinking water, I don’t drink many hot drinks normally anyway but if I have a cup of tea I will have it without milk so I won’t need to add any calories.

Thanks again.
    Debbie

And welcome Debbie Norlandlass – missed you with all the flurry of postings! I am into 4th week and was also 13.1 st to start and have lost 8 lb so far with a down the road goal of 10.6 stone [it’s fun trying out the stoney lingo, since I am new to it!!]

Hi Salma

Well this time o can’t blame Paul. I was fretting over the health assessment. I find one of the reasons too painful to talk about. Luckily they had it on screen and my doctore also included it in her report. So no explanations or questions to answer.

They took my blood pressure and it was sky high. 196/100. A few hours after I had returned home it had dropped back to my “normal level” this is just high and not dangerously so (although the doctor might disagree). I was asked what I was doing to try and help myself and reduce it so I mentioned the forums/5:2/the exercise of course Paul McKenna and even the talking changes which I am about to start.

Well done on finding you’re voucher. And enjoy your spa day. Remember that as long as you are mindful around food you will survive with maybe even a small loss.

Hi Phoebe

Again one day of overindulgence doesn’t rock the boat. Don’t worry enjoy it. This is the beauty of 5:2.

Hi Debbie

I find I must have my tea, I feel thoroughly miserable without it. I allow enough milk for five cups and a friend got me a bigger cup. So for me 5 cups of skimmed milk (I don’t like the supermarkets wish you washy ones) comes out at about 93 calories. I count 100. I buy the long life milk (the one not is the refrigerators) I find it is thicker and tastes like semi skimmed which I have changed from. No longer have the long life ones got those horrible twangy tastes. I was having tea at someone’s house a few years ago, seeing him get a new one out of the cupboard I told him not to worry as I didn’t like the long life. I was so surprised as he told me I had been having it for over a year. I changed my opinion. Now I use it most of the time.

If you are a breakfast person maybe you will enjoy some of your calories then. I am not I ate breakfast as I thought I had to. It always triggered my hunger. I know some people that have brunch and dinner and others just dinner. Me today I had 100 grms of strawberries with a yoghurt on top- this was about 3.30. Dinner I shall have soon gammon vegetables and maybe still calories for something else. I use my calories wisely. They go a long way like this. Weight watchers tomatoe soup is meant to be really tasty. 77 calories a can. I had soup in the colder weather. I know horrible here today!! Here it is grey, overcast windy and the rain has just stopped and the sun is peeping through.

If you don’t drink a lot of hot drinks maybe you won’t miss them.

Good luck tomorrow

Ginette

Hi Phoebe

Ok the lingo

FD is fast day
    NFD is non fast day
    WOL is way of life
    FBD is fast beach diet an off shoot of this one, but a bit stricter.

I can’t think of any more at the moment.

I will post if they come to mind. I’m not sure I could understand your last sentence, I think you are doing a Milena special on us 🙂

Ginette

Hi.Phoebe

WOW. way of eating
    OH other half
    MIL. mother in law

I’m stuck on your last sentence to Phoebe. I’m Yorkshire lass too, though I speak fluent Geordie, and becoming fairly good at Scots!

Milena i have never seen and WOWs apart from for great weight loss??

Ginette

hi everyone!

Just to wish everyone a nice weekend :), welcome Debbie, hope it’s going ok for you? what days do you fast?
    Hi Phoebe, have a nice time on Sunday
    Hi Ginette, I think having blood pressure taken makes it go up generally, you’re a real inspiration of this forum, so kind to respond to everyone. Also thanks for the those options for FD’s. I still haven’t worked out if I need breakfast or not, will give it a whirl next week with no breakfast, might give me a wider fasting window.
    Hi Firehorse, well done for the impromptu FD, always a plus:)

I’ve got a very stiff neck and shoulder area, not sure if psychological reaction to all the marking I have to do, always stresses me out or over zealous Zumba/planks, we’ll see, off to quaff some bubbles tomorrow, so can have a bit of a relax between swathes of essays to mark (Ginette I teach (hopefully) 17-23yr olds)
    Hi Milena! hope the ending of FBD ok

Bye for now..

now confusing everybody, including myself, and I wrote it 3 times!

Should be

WOE. Blummin’ predictive text. way of eating.

Hi Salma

Enjoy, though I would prefer hot pokers in my eyes rather than a massage. UGGGH!

Hi Beldyboop

Yes it is ok now and I will live to see another day, you won’t get rid of me that easily! I am here for the long haul. Bacon buttie tomorrow – great, something I am really looking forward to.

Hi Milena

Yes I thought that was what you meant.

I did some brilliant quizzes with my older student quite a few years ago now.

I will link to some another day. They drove us all mad over holiday times, good fun though…..lasted for days.

I told them is was my job to teach them in a holistic way and so had to provide some fun, not connected with learning over the holidays. I had some great students, I had a couple a few students in their 60s and 70s who came to me to learn how to use a computer. I also had two who were 81 and their son had moved abroad and bought them a computer and booked them on my course.

We always had great fun and these students just kept asking me to think up courses for them to come on. I am still in touch with a couple today, both in their 80s. I pop in for a cup of tea with them. This is about 18 years after I taught them.

I know…….off I go again. Well I am now going to watch the last Coronation Street of the week. My cousin in Canada loves it as well. It is a very exciting week this week.

I might pop back if any posts come through but is not I will see you tomorrow.

Ginette

Hi Beldyboop

I meant to say, sorry about your neck haven’t you got one of those wheat things that you can pop into the microwave?

17 – 23 is this a good age or do they still have a lot of attitude and not want to be there. I filled in on a course for a teacher who was sick. These had loads of attitude, cheated didn’t want to be there etc. they gave me three lots of class work in with exactly the same mistakes in…..the emailed it to one another….they must have thought I was born yesterday. In the next class I had the technicians block their email accounts…..so I got my own back 🙂

Hope the neck gets better soon.

Ginette

Good morning one and all..
    Isn’t it nice to wake up to all those posts.

Ginette, I love that you blocked their emails! Had me laughing.. good trick.
    I also taught for about three years way back when.. oh.. ages ago, but I did find it rewarding. I taught 14-18 year olds mathematics. You can imagine what fun that was! Some kids, though, make it worthwhile for you. Around twenty years ago, I also taught a bunch of doctors how to use a computer through a course I created. Some of them did not even know how to turn one on! It was cute as I would give them homework and they eagerly did it like school children. So, Beldyboop and Ginette, I suppose I can be counted in your teaching ranks?

Milena and Ginette.. I know what Phoebe meant by “Stoney lingo” she means you guys use Stones and Pounds to weigh, whereas we use Kilograms and grammes. She did NOT mean you were emotionless 🙂 I find it difficult to think in Stones and Lbs too as I am sure Kgs are not your first choice. Right, Phoebe? Maybe you should explain that you will be listening to actual Loons (birds) not counting dollars (Canadians have this cute way of calling a dollars a Loonie because they have a loon on the coin) 🙂

She was also referring to the “other” kind of poking and prodding referring to the massage (versus the nutritionist). Why do you hate massages Milena? Have you ever tried a hot stone massage? Pure heaven! The lady who does the ‘relaxing massage’ I am having today is a certified physiotherapist.. the last time I had her do the massage (about a year ago), all tension and aches were gone.

Ginette, I hope nothing major is serious. You said that you were going to ask for a print out of your blood works. Have you got a baseline to compare with? It would be interesting to see a comparative reading of your fasting blood sugar, HDL, LDL, etc. I keep a record of these (as well as insulin and hormones when I get them tested) to see which way my health is going. I am sure that, with the weight loss, your numbers should improve. High blood pressure at the doctors is a very well observed phenomenon, as Beldyboop says. I know you research everything, but if I can be of any help (I have several doctor friends), drop me a note.

Debbie, welcome to our group. Good luck on your first fast day (FD). For me, what works is that I don’t have anything but black coffee, herbal teas and water until dinner time, usually about 6:00 pm when I have either some soup, tuna, salad, whatever I have prepared for the evening. I leave around 100-150 calories for later int eh night when I usually get peckish, around 10 or so, and will have a hot cup of milk (also to help me sleep) or an orange or apple. It is a good idea to try to get the longest stretch of “fasting” period you can because that is what produces some of the other health benefits. I am sure Ginette has and can provide the references for this. It really will be easier than you think. The first couple of FDs are a bit more difficult, but you will soon surprise yourself by how easy you will find them. This will not mean that they will never be difficult. There are some days that are tough, for one reason or another, but we are all here to help and to pull each other through the tough times when needed. Give us a shout!

Phoebe, enjoy your salad with a large crouton. Please tell your friend that others will be using that reference from now on. Tomorrow is another day. You are so right, that IS what makes 5:2 so great.. the flexibility is what is likely to make it succeed for us. We can be normal and eat normal food.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Hello again, I have found support in your messages and chats , but have been under pressure and not had the time to respond or share.
    Yesterday was the first time ‘fasting’ was difficult for me since we started 5:2 program April 4. I woke up hungry and kept getting hungry throughout the day. I had protein, greens, mushrooms, and so many pots of infusions (I try and keep the black tea and coffee for study time) that I truly lost count…. yet, went to bed hungry all the same…
    I used all my 500 kcal this time. There have been times when I have not needed the entire 500, having been satisfied with less. Yesterday ,NO!!
    Regarding sleep, I have never been known to sleep much, but recently I have realised that I usually sleep better on fasting nights. Low calories seems to calm the hot flushes. Musician hubby coming back late from gigs makes getting to bed early a little bit of a pipe dream.
    On feeding days, I have found that I will not sleep well if I eat ANYTHING, even yoghurt, after 19:00.I suppose this is the point: I need to eat less, full stop, period! I had an eat sweet and energy foods craze on Thursday (vanilla ice cream with black toasted sesame seed, mangoes, fruit and nut muesli, maple syrup, creamy Guernsey milk). No wine or alcohol, tho. That was a first since I started 5:2.
    I have benefitted from the flexibility by changing the days according to travel, work, and social needs. I have started up doing 3:4 because I eat too much on the other days and have not lost weight for a while. I upped my exercise, now that the weather is better, and am swimming in the sea (yes, it’s cold but exhilarating) at least 3 times a week.
    Today is Tai Chi and swimming, cleaning house for a guest staying 3 weeks.
    I love reading these messages and getting tips on how to adapt to this new life style. You all help me to not feel alone or isolated on this new path.
    Big Smile!

ladyfilosopher!
    Long time no see..
    Nice to know you are around and reading the posts. I know how that fast day must have gone. I had one of those this last Monday. I was so surprised by how hungry and weak I felt. Usually, fast days are a breeze. I guess we live and learn.

Just an aside, loved learning about Loonies! And I, too, cannot fathom weight in stones….. I am kg convert.
    Ginette, thank you for the online 5:2 recipe book!! I have downloaded it and printed it in OneNote ready for quick consultations

Hi everyone!

My post just flew into cyberspace, no more smileys today!

Stiff neck and shoulders have eased off a bit, amazing what the weekend can do! I do have a lot of work to do though 🙁

Hi Ginette my students can be great fun, but also a pain, and as it’s coming to the end of term, we’re all in stress mode, deadlines etc, they’re 17-23yrs….

Hi Salma, I could do with the stones massage right now, I love being pampered, but the only massage I had recently was a sports massage, which wasn’t so relaxing.

Hi Ladyfilosopher, we started this WOL at the same time. I found the first 3 or 4 FD’s tough, still sometimes do, but generally as long as I’m in a positive mindset it’s ok, and so long as I know what I’m going to eat. I do a lot of exercise, and have also cut down a lot on wine..

Have a nice weekend everybody..

So many posts to try to catch up on! I love it!

Good Morning!

I am up and doing 2 loads of laundry before heading to the golf course. I’m not sure how 2 people generate so much laundry?!

I could do with a massage as my arms and shoulders are SO sore! Some massages are more pleasant than others, I have found. Hot stone massages are fabulous! Deep tissue massages hurt like blazes! OUCH!! I have already been having one and lie there thinking “I am paying money to have this pain inflicted on me?” In the end you do feel better, but the deep tissue work can sure hurt!

I’m so anxious to hear the results of the FBD participants. I haven’t missed the posting of results, have I? I’m afraid I couldn’t be that strict this time of year what with being at the golf course and enjoying a nice, cold beer or 2.

Washer is beeping at me…must run. Have a lovely day and I’ll check on you when I return from the 6+ mile walk chasing the little white ball around! 😉

Hiya all.. Hi Lori,

No you haven’t missed the results of the FBDiers. Tomorrow is their last day.. we are all waiting with bated breath!

I am just back from my afternoon of self indulgence, but important news first: My nutritionist was very pleased with me!! Since February, I have gone down 6 Kgs. According to her scales (that measure everything but the kitchen sink: fat, muscle, water, sense of humour..). So I am really chuffed. I have been going to her once every couple of months or so for 2 years and for the past year I have gained weight and it has been impossible to lose. Now, I am at what I weighed one year ago. Imagine, that I am happy with that!!! But I am.. We set a target of around 80 Kgs. for the end of August and a final target of 70 Kgs (or even 72 is ok). I was so pleased. My fat is down. My BMI is still high at 29.9 (normal range is18.5 – 25), so I am still classified as pre-Obese/Overweight (just – Obese starts from 30 BMI), so I guess that is an achievement. My fat mass is 34.3 so well into the “over category” – as it should be between 12.4 & 19.9.

Still a lot of work to do, but I am hopeful. This has encouraged me to get back to exercise and will re-start walking 3 times a week or so. Apparently, I had 1 Kg more muscle same time last year, so would like to regain that.

I am so pleased!!

So, the massage turned out to be a reward rather than a consolation. It was fantastic. The lady is a physiotherapist, and I asked her to focus not eh tension in my shoulders, where all my anger, tiredness, and resentments reside, aided and abetted by continuous computer work. I feel renewed. Lori, this is not the deep tissue, which is as painful as as anything. I had that once and was crying with pain. After the massage, steam room, jacuzzi and a swim followed by hair and nails. I even got a compliment from a young man in a car (he only saw the top half 🙂 ) which has really set me up for the day. Will end the day with a light dinner with friends and a movie I have been wanting to see.

This won’t last, obviously.. but, for now, how great is that??

Hi Salma

True grit! Ive been alongside from day one, its been a bit of a rollercoaster, but the road doesn’t seem quite so long and scary for a couple of old bangers – and our power to weight ratio is so well improved – you can tell I live in a house of petrolheads!!!!

You’ve made my day!!!!

Thx for the lingo lessons! I had figured out some, and yes Salma, you mindreader 🙂 , I was referring to the Brit stone weighing system,[so fab to weigh such a low number even if it takes forever to shift!!], as I still go by pounds [grew up on that] and kg only if I must.
    Our newish $2 coin is called a Toonie to rhyme with the $1 Loonie! And yes, I meant the soothing call of the beautiful waterbird … guaranteed to lower BP! I am ‘chuffed’ re your health news… and young man’s reaction too [learned that term from Jamie Oliver!].
    Blow out fun dinner celebration last eve: yummy seafood pasta in white wine cream sauce [which I did not finish], and wine…. so might see about a 1000 day today inbetween that and tomorrow’s ‘crouton’. Grabbing the dog [my current OH] and heading to lake…… cat stays behind as his incessant yowling for 45 minutes solid on way out and back drives me bonkers, and then he mostly hides or skulks about anyways, so he’s happier on home turf with big bowl of food.
    Golf does require a mandatory hole 19 Lori so glad you enjoyed. Ladyphilosopher, interesting re lower calories calming hot flashes – I must pay better attention to my patterns re that.
    Happy Sunday NFD and Monday FD all

Evening. Dinner out on a NFD yesterday – plumped for the wild boar burger, chips and salad. Ate about half of each and was comfortably full (must do a sub 270 FD again…!)

Rat bike rally today, couldn’t resist the bacon roll at lunchtime but otherwise I’ve behaved myself.

I’m delighted (in fact, unbelievably chuffed) to report that I can now comfortably get into the size 14 stretch jeans. It’s official, I’m down two sizes in 13 months, the last three months on 5:2. Slow & steady works for me….. so far anyway 🙂

NFD tomorrow, FD Monday. Enjoy the rest of your weekends.
    Onward & downward

Firehorse.. you are on fire!!
    Well done.. very well done.
    I hope I will get there EVENTUALLY..
    Same for me NFD tomorrow, FD Monday.. weighing day is Monday (on my own scales)

Hi All here I go again…..

Wrote a long post and then scanned for stupid mistakes (iPads not mine) I was sasisfied and then forgot to press submit!! Grrrrrrr……

Hi Beldyboop

Something I forgot to mention was that regarding breakfast I used to eat breakfast under protest. I was told it was good for me….. Since changing to 5:2 I have not eaten it as I would prefer to have food when I want it.

On fast days for me I find that eating something refreshing In the afternoon is nice. So at the moment I have melon or strawberries, cantaloupe is my favourite and I have this on its own…..delicious, or strawberries with half a pot of low fat yougurt. I tend to use shape or a third of a muller light. I try to eat other yoghurts on NFDs but I like the fat free on FDs. I know about the sugar but the amount I eat is minimal and a youghurt will last me for 2 fast days.

I then have tea with milk all day. About 5/6 cups. This helps me get through it and keeps me happy.

I then have about 300 for an nice meal in the evening.

This works for me. I have done this since the beginning apart from it was soup for lunch as it was January.

I hope your neck and shoulders are easier, I think I have read on a later post that they are.

Hi Salma

Yes, blocking those emails gave me great satisfaction especially as this was not part of the lesson, I think one person may have mentioned it and very innocently I told her not to worry as we don’t need to use emails and so shouldn’t really be looking at them. …..how smug I felt ……..

Yes these students were problematic, they arrived late, if at all, kept asking when break was, messed about and wanted to leave early. In the end they had me clock watching as well because I couldn’t wait for it to end either.

I also taught NHS staff (health service) to use computers and I had a real mixture in the room, surgeons, doctors, specialists, nurses and cleaners. I nice but very unusual mix. All of them were required to have this qualification.

So yes of course you are a teacher. I remember telling my main groups of students 25 – 81 years old is the only difference between us is that I knew more about this subject but they also would know more about other subjects and be able to teach me. Many of them came really worried and nervous, hopefully by the end of the first class I had helped to change this. They looked at me as someone better than themselves….I told them that they were wrong, not to put me on a pedestal as they could teach me many things that I so admired and couldn’t do. Over the weeks they really relaxed and this was how it should be.

Again…..off I go down memory lane, these were happy times for me and we had great fun, learning should be fun, not a chore.

Ok I now understand what that sentence meant. Well I didn’t take offence but to me loons were something that were worn in the 70s trousers (pants to you) and jeans with legs flared from the calf.

Also a loonie or loony here is someone who is a bit mad (not a nice expression).

I will get a print out of blood work next week. I know what my carbohydrate was about 6.2 but never asked any of the others. I know she said she wanted to keep an eye on my sodium levels (I thought that this was because they were high). I know that glucose was also taken but this was fine. These were the results from over a year ago.

Now I want to know in detail!!

I haven’t tried a massage and not sure that I would like one. All my fat being rubbed around ugh…..think of the poor masseur as well!

Thanks re blood pressure, I am really not too bad normally a bit over, I am happy with this but the doctor isn’t. I just think it is getting lower and apart from extreme cases it is better than it was.

Hi Debbie

This is what I have understood the longer the fasting window (the time between food the night before and first food of the day) the better. I have a relatively long time nearly every day this is only as I eat when I am hungry and this is normally from about 3pm in the afternoon. Now I know that isn’t possible with a lot of people as work commitments and meals with husbands/partners comes into play.

The fastening state (that is anything over 12 hours) and our body will go into housekeeping mode, this means regenerating cells and helping out body work more efficiently, even possibly prolonging our lives. This you can read about in more detail as part of Michael Moseleys research. Most days I have as least a 5 hour window houskeeping period going on in my body. But it had so many years of abuse that it probably needs it. I just like to think how tidy and bouncy my cells are now, instead of fighting the excesses of everything I could throw at them. A lot of changes will show up in blood tests before and after again I refer to you back to Michael Moselys book the fast diet. If you do not have this book as some don’t, it is inspiring and interesting. If you don’t want to buy it them I will try to find quotes and post the link.

Debbie, the most important thing is that you find the right way for you, this may change over time and you get used to 5:2. It anyone TELLS you what you would be doing, ignore them. Here we can give advice and show how it works for us, we are all individuals and we are all different. We push, pull and encourage and support you to reach your goals. There have been people who were over fond of telling us what to do and where we were going wrong. These people are no longer here. I will never tand back and not comment if people are unkind or start to try and bully people into there way of thinking. All of the people who are on this thread are human, we all make mistakes, go a bit to extremes and nobody critises. We empathise as we know what if feels like.

We know that sometimes can be a struggle, lots of pairs or forum hands will join together to help you through it. This is what a community is…… You as well will offer helping hands.

Hi lady philosopher

It is nice to know that you are reading the posts and that they are helping you through. I had a hungry fast day and so did Salma. I think the first time I have found it difficult since my very first fast. It happens and somehow we get though. Salad wouldn’t be good for me on a fast day as it isn’t filling enough, I rarely have carbs but yesterday I had about 160 calories left and when I wondered what to have fancied some carbs. Well 50 grams of potato wedges is only about 100 calories. There were only 5 but to me they were delicious.

As you may know I think a day of excess does no harm and benefits the mind and spirit. It really doesn’t have an impact on weight loss just don’t follow this up with a second and third day….. If you enjoyed it good! Don’t feel bad about it. This WOL is about enjoying the things that you like but about you being in control not the foods.

You are welcome for the recipe book link.

I hope you are now eating better Salma. Your Heath is very important.

Hi Lori

Well I hope you are enjoying or have enjoyed your game of golf and the walk, also the beers.

My laundry will get done tomorrow.

No you haven’t missed the results I will post below.

Hi Salma

What great news that is. All your readings sound good to me, but I can see that the next category BMI will be the one to work towards. I am doing the same just a completely different category. 🙂

The compliment was merited. Take it and enjoy it, if people payed compliments instead of criticism what a nice world it would be. I hope the massage has helped and you have a lovely evening with your friends.

Milena

You have done brilliantly, I’m not sure about the hula hoop though after seeing the bruises. But I can understand you not letting it beat you as well.

Hi All

Very quiet here. I hope you are all well and check in this weekend.

Well as promised:

Well had my final weight in again and I have lost 3lbs for the final week.

So that is a good loss for the final week on FBD.

So just fast beach diet

Week 1 – 3lbs -1.36 kg
    Week 2 – 5lbs – 2.27 kg
    Week 3 – 1lb – 0.45 kg
    Week 4 – 2lbs – 0.91 kg
    Week 5 – 2lbs – 0.91kg
    Week 6 – 3lbs – 1.36 kg

Total on FBD 16 lb or 1 stone 2lb or 7,25 kgs. A great result for me.

I only found out yesterday that some treats were allowed. Ok course I did have these in the form of a small ice cream, three weeks in a row as I went out and 1 midget gem, I felt very guilty about these but still ate them. 🙂 So I have to thank Milena for this. She was really good throughout giving up wine and treats!! So good on her, she has done brilliantly not to have anything.

I was a little worried about the 5lb week….too much in a week!

I had a really really nice bacon and egg sandwich. Such heaven!!

Anyhow I have the rest of today and tomorrow to go and next week I can relax.

Ginette

Ginette,
    WELL DONE! Fantastic result, you must be ecstatic!

Oh dear sorry that was so long….

Hi Phoebe

Sorry posts crossed, mine was so long I had to get a cup of tea in the middle of it!

I am really not sure if I could bear to leave pasta on the plate, hence I don’t have it. A real weakness of mine. Dinner sounded lovely.

My favourite pizza or crouton! is pepperoni. I have a small thin crust every once in a while.

Enjoy the lake, what lake is it? I hope that all is calm there now.

Hi Firehorse

The burger, chips and salad sounded nice. I have just allowed bacon back into my diet as I was found to have low sodium, so I would have had it too. What a joy it is to have bacon again.

Ginette

Yes Firehorse very pleased but the bacon sandwich made me ecstatic 🙂

Ginette

Sorry just saw put very quiet in the post, this was for another thread……nothing like quiet on here!!

Ginette

Wow ladies, everyone has been very, very active. I love this group and want to stay current, but my goodness, I had to take notes! I apologize in advance for anyone I have left out.

@Salma- I think I am going to fit in fabulously as I work in IT and own a steamer 🙂 I am also happy I was an earth mother and did not allow my sons any sugary junk (and yes, I apparently was the meanest mum in the universe). I made my own baby food and bread. McDonalds was verboten and the boys were ohly allowed sweet cereral when we went camping in the summer (about 4 times a summer). I also only allowed 2 hours of TV a week. What a witch I was :-). Hope you enjoyed the massage – I love them.

@milena – I have often been beaten by a grape. I am fortunate as there are multiple little Asian groceries where I am, so they let me get away with buying miniscule amounts of grapes, just enough to put in a salad. Congrats to coming off the FBD; I think you and Ginette should definitely get the T-shirt.

@beldyboop – (hope I got that rightt!!) hope you enjoyed your champagne tea. Sounds lovely. Also hope the neck is getting better.

@applepie – yummy, yummy brunch menu. Enjoy!

@LoriPA – 3lbs is great, congrats!

@firehorse – I wouldn’t mind running into a couple of accidental fast days. Currently I am dealing with accident FEED absolutely caps, days

@ginette – Good on for your friend Sue. I wish her success. You and Milena are my heroes, you should definitely get T-Shirts. Sounds like you have a bit of “White coat syndrome” I was a CCU nurse for quite a few years and am fully acquainted with that. I used to tell my patients the most terrible jokes, true groaners and then after a oouple of minutes I would retake their pressure.

@norlandlass – i feel a bit cheeky welcoming you to this thread, as I am a newbie myself, but welcome indeed. I am also a Debbie.

@ladyfilosopher – I gradually have come to realize that a stone is 14lbs. Would love one of our Brit members to fill us in on how this measurement system came into place. As a Canadian I have embraced Celsius, but have never managed to wrap my brain around Kilos. I am a lb girl through and through.

As for me, I’m feeling pretty virtuous after my 2 hour long walk and then shopping. Have over 20,000 steps on the fitbit today. I am just letting the chips fall as they may this weekend, getting geared up for the June challenge on another thread. Not sure about my no alcohol pledge though – have 2 friends launching CD’s this week and going to a huge Blues on Monday evening. Willpower is my failing – let’s see how I past the test. Enjoy your weekends all..

hi DJ

I think you could do a University degree about pounds and ounces!

If my memory serves, there used to be 12 ounces – onsa unsia or something, latin? A twelth then an ounce. Certainly used on the continent before metric.

A pound used to be a pound of silver, which is why the British hallmarking system came into being. People would cut up plates to use for money. Silver plate is real silver, silver plated isn’t.

I deal in silver, and for quite a few years dealt in scrap gold – I could write a book about that – and I use troy ounces as a measurement.

Carats in diamonds came as a messurement from carob beans.

Hi

is anyone doing 19:5 or similar. Apparently exercising in a fasted state is a good idea, so thinkibg of combining the two. Presume you do the same eating window every day, but not sure. Seems a big ask. Trying go get my head around either a late lunch or an early dinner.

Its a long road to those bottles of wine, Appliepie!!!

Hi DJ

Yes a busy thread. Weekdays and weekends. Yes I have heard about white coat syndrome and can understand why this would happen. I have my blood pressure taken so often, I will sometime take it just before I leave home so I know what to expect from the doctors. I was I degree out when I measured at both.

I didn’t even know it was going to be taken this time. I just thought I was going to talk about something that I didn’t want to.

Yes I started teaching in IT and then went on to teach English, a little maths at a low level and life skills. IT really now has faded away as a course as the years gphave moved on and most people are IT literate.

Well done for being an earth mother, you were truly doing the best for them. I wasn’t as good as you but did try…..also you were a good witch!!

Hi Milena

I was going to look this up but I don’t need to now.

I see my post has worn everybody out haha. This is the second time I wrote it as well.

I had to have a nap afterwards!!

Ginette

Hi Milena

I am probably doing 18:6 and I always try to exercise in the fasted state. For me it is the way I prefer to eat.

Ginette

Hi Ginette, are you just dtinking water in the 18.

I miss breakfast usually do my walk before lunch, and don’t eat after dinner, which could be anytime beteeen six and eight. So I seem to do 18, but I do have tea in the morning. I dont go out much, so I imagine 19:5 or 21:3, drinking only water between, could be effective. Not sure if its doable longterm though.

Effective to stop snackibg though, I would think.

Anyway just planning June and musing.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.